China suppresses Uighur protests, 140 dead

posted at 12:50 pm on July 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Normally, the Chinese have the most trouble with Tibet and their efforts to wrest themselves from Beijing’s control.  Today, though, the focus in China falls on the Xinjiang province, where protests by ethnic Uighurs got violently suppressed by Chinese authorities.  At least 140 are reportedly dead, although hardly a peep has been heard from most American media:

The official death toll in riots in China’s northwestern Xinjiang region rose sharply Monday, with the government saying that 140 had been killed in what appears to be one of the deadliest episodes of unrest in China in decades.

Police said at least 828 other people were injured in violence that began Sunday in Urumqi, Xinjiang’s capital. Witnesses said the conflicts pitted security forces against demonstrators, and members of the region’s Turkic-speaking Uighur ethnic group against members of the country’s Han Chinese majority. Many among the predominantly Muslim Uighurs have chafed at Chinese government rule. …

Xinhua quoted Liu Yaohua, a senior police official in Xinjiang, as saying that rioters had burned 261 vehicles, including 190 buses and two police cars, several of which were still ablaze as of Monday morning. Mr. Liu said the death toll of 140 “would still be climbing.”

As evening fell in Urumqi Monday, witnesses said that paramilitary troops of the People’s Armed Police, backed by armored personnel carriers, were patrolling largely calm city streets. Many businesses remained shuttered and gates of the city’s central bazaar, which was the scene of unrest Sunday night, were closed.

Police said they were still searching for dozens of people suspected of fanning the violence. Several hundred people have already been arrested in connection with the riot, police said, and the government said it was bringing “ethnic officials” from nearby areas to help with interrogations.

As with military coups, not all protests are created equal.  Chinese officials have begun to blame foreign agitators for fomenting the violence in Urumqi and throughout the Xinjiang region, as did Iran with their unrest over the rigged presidential election.  Unlike Iran, however, China has some factual basis for this claim.  Al-Qaeda has recruited and trained Uighur radical Islamists, who want independence for Xinjiang in order to establish a Turkic theocratic state, just as the Taliban created in Afghanistan.

That doesn’t mean that other Uighurs don’t have legitimate claims on democratic reform and independence for better reasons, of course.  The AQ-Taliban connection to the Uighurs makes it difficult to determine which forces are in play in Xinjiang at the moment, though.  Broad assumptions in either direction would be a mistake, especially since the “freedom fighters” causing most of the trouble in that region don’t support freedom at all — just a change of tyrants.

Several e-mailers suggested that the Obama administration needs to get more vocal about this uprising in Xinjiang.  In this case, “meddling” would be a mistake, and the silence of the White House is probably the best policy for the moment until the protest leaders — and their goals — become more clear.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

NoDonkey on July 6, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I was in Albania in 2007. The country is 70% Muslim and I
only saw a half dozen women wearing burkas. Most were in
slacks or short dresses. I talked to a young male college
student who when I asked if he prayed four times a day
answered, “I don’t have time for that.”

40 years most women in Egypt didn’t wear hijab (sp). Now most do. Also didn’t Great Britain open 82 Sharia courts, which is a compeletly didn’t legal system. When most people convert to Islam they take an Arabic name…sort like getting rid of old cultural ties.

Also the last time I time I didn’t go to church, I wasn’t punished by a government court or religous.

I find to hard to compare Christianity to Islam.

In Islam you submit…

Oil Can on July 6, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Oil Can on July 6, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Sorry poor English and spelling skills today…

didn’t Great Britain open 82 Sharia courts, which is a compeletly different legal system

Oil Can on July 6, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Wake the f*&k up! Islam is not going to be some great army marching through the streets. It will be your neighbor, cutting your throat in a back alley.

Gregor on July 6, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Hahaha!!! It’s funny that you say that because I live in one of the largest Arab/Muslim sections in Queens. I am a block away from a mosque. I eat Moroccan food on a weekly basis. If what you say is true, well then I guess I’m SOL.

However what you said is not true at all. I won’t try to change your insight on Islam. I work and talk with Arabs and Muslims everyday. I went to school with them, I studied the language and the religion and I seriously think you are blowing everything way out of proportion. You’re entitled to your opinion though.

Shock the Monkey on July 6, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I work and talk with Arabs and Muslims everyday. I went to school with them

Shock the Monkey on July 6, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Well, that pretty much says it all, doesn’t it? Interestingly enough, there’s a million Jews who can say the exact same thing you just said. Well, everything other than the “blowing it way out of proportion” part.

Gregor on July 6, 2009 at 5:29 PM

I studied the language and the religion

Shock the Monkey on July 6, 2009 at 5:13 PM

You’re either lying about studying the religion, or you’re an Islamic hack attempting to cover it up. It’s impossible to study Islam and it’s history and claim it teaches peace in the same breath. Not while being honest.

Gregor on July 6, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Shock the Monkey,

Don’t bother. Some people here just cannot learn, no matter hwo often their views are challenged with concrete fact. I lived in Kyrgyzstan for 3 and a half years, and never once saw a woman in a burqa, even thought the country is 75-80% muslim. (I also married one of them and converted, but that’s another story).

The Chinese are well known for trying to eradicate the Uighuur population, including shipping them off to other parts of the country and moving Han chinese in to replace the. Stalin did the same crap. Most of the Uighurs I knew were huge fans of the US becuase we were basically the only ones who ever even said anything to the chinese about it, and apparently even got some freed.

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Gregor on July 6, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Exactly Islam is a fascist totalitarian death cult and this century’s Nazism. There will be no peace until it is eliminated. Best to deport muslims now while their numbers are small and they’re relatively weak.

Once they become majorities, they will wage war against us non-muslims, much as they’ve done in Sudan, Serbia, Lebanon, etc until they’ve taken over (or we’ve defeated them).

Of course if they win, we’ll be living in a country much like Iran, Pakistan or Afghanistan today, where freedom does not exist, where women are horrendously persecuted and there’s no real chance of escape but death from such a medieval, brutal and barbaric, theocratic police state.

Islam is the most evil ideology in history and its sad the West has ignored it while muslims grew their numbers from 100 million in 1900 to 1.5 billion now.

thinkagain on July 6, 2009 at 6:09 PM

40 years most women in Egypt didn’t wear hijab (sp).

Well, the hijab ain’t that bad I guess but the burqa is a big fat non no in my book. I wouldn’t let my wife wear one even if she asked. Also, I’m going to have to challenge the voracity of that statement – people in Cairo may not have been as frequesnt twith their use, but the rest of the population probably was. Oddly enough, other countries have that urban/rural split too.

Yeah, that is F’d up. What the hell? Apparently some of the folks over in England need to buck up and get rid of that post haste. The state should run the courts…

Meh; it’s encouraged I suppose, but hardly neccesary. Also depends what school of thought is doing the converting.

Oddly enough, the last time I didn’t go to a mosque, neither was I. While I was in the UAE, which probably counts as one of your “crazy muslim” places. Lots of burqas there….

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I’m going to have to challenge the voracity of that statement

By the second half of the nineteenth century, intellectuals, reformers, and liberals began to denounce the idea of women’s protective clothing. This group was sensitive about the advances western nations had made, and wanted to push their countries toward a more western-style society. One way of achieving this, they felt, was to change the status of women. To them this meant abandoning traditional customs, including protective covering and the veil which they saw as a symbol of the exclusion of women from public life and education.

In areas where Islam was resisted and believers felt threatened, like Indonesia and the Philippines, Muslim women began to dress more conservatively as a way to assert who they were. During militant struggles for independence, such as that against the French in Algeria or the British in Egypt, some women purposely kept the veil in defiance of western styles. It meant they also could take part in veiled and silent demonstrations, or could hide weapons under long robes.

And the link

Take the source as you will

Oil Can on July 6, 2009 at 6:29 PM

So your argument is basically… “I don’t agree with you, ergo you are worse than Hitler… However, that gas chamber thing was a swell idea as long as we use it on the *right* people”.

You probably need to read some more Sudanese history before you go claiming that muslims just showed up recently and started whacking people. Considering it was the seat of the Blue Sultanate, I’m going to call BS. Also, Lebanon? Really? That place has been majority Muslim for centuries, it’s always been a fight betwen rival clans. As for Serbia – ummmmm, what? Maybe you’ve forgotten the whole “Serbian Massacre of Kosovars” thing. Do you remember who’s side we were on, or what?

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 6:31 PM

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 6:31 PM

You lose all credibility when you resort to dishonesty and strawman arguments. So for you, “deport them all” is the same as “burn them all in gas chambers?”

Heh. I get it.

You probably need to read some more Sudanese history before you go claiming that Muslims just showed up recently and started whacking people.

You’re not really strengthening your stance here by pointing out examples of how everywhere Islam goes, death and tyranny follow. Unless of course, you believe somehow that Serbia and Lebanon are the home of freedom and prosperity.

Gregor on July 6, 2009 at 6:45 PM

So let’s go with you basic premise (false as it may be) that all the muslims are evil, warmongering dhimmi slaughteres. Then what you are saying, “Best to deport muslims now while their numbers are small and they’re relatively weak”, is that it’s okay for the rest of them world to be exposed to them, as long as the USA isn’t. In reality you don’t give a hoot about any of the countries/cultures that you bring up, you merely cite them as a means of backing your assertion that Islam is evil.

Yeah, isolationism always works swell.

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 7:02 PM

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 7:02 PM

When you start out your comment with a complete lie, there’s no reason to even respond other than to point out that you’re full of shit. Not a single person in this thread said any such thing. You sir, are a moron.

Gregor on July 6, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Gregor,

I’m carrying your points to their logical conclusions. Please stop misdirecting and actually answer the questions.

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I’m carrying your points to their logical conclusions.

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 7:34 PM

No you’re not. You’re simply lying. That’s what hacks do.

Gregor on July 6, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Okay Gregor, you said deport them. Who were you refering to, and deport them from where to where?

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 7:42 PM

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Actually, I said no such thing. You’re thinking of someone else. And even if I did, it doesn’t hide the amazing leap you made in comparing a suggestion (made by someone else) of deporting them, to “burning them in ovens.”

Hack.

Gregor on July 6, 2009 at 7:47 PM

China poses a bigger threat to the U.S. than revivalist Islam in the long term.

Shock the Monkey on July 6, 2009 at 3:03 PM

You’re out of your friggin mind. That statement is so far out of touch with reality it’s scary.

Depends on what you consider bigger. Islamists may be more likely to attack, but a China-US war is an existential threat to the United States.

chinotex on July 6, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Gregor, you are correct. I misattributed it to you. However, the idea that because certain people are different leading initially to displacement, then finding spots for them to go to, and then disposing of them is not exactly unheralded in our times. It starts with isolation, marginilization, dehumanization, expulsion, containment, and ends with extermination.

Oddly enough, this is precisely what the Wahhabis wish they had the logistical, military, and economical might to accomplish. The idea is freaking abhorent, whether it’s in China or the US.

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 7:53 PM

And Twitter is still blocked here in the People’s Republic.

chinotex on July 6, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Lots of information on the riots and the response available here: http://shanghaiist.com/2009/07/07/the_xinjiang_riots_whats_happened_s.php

chinotex on July 6, 2009 at 7:58 PM

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 7:53 PM

And I don’t believe I’ve ever suggested anything similar for Muslims. Instead, the cult of Islam and the practicing of Islam should be banned in the U.S. We shouldn’t allow anyone who claims to be Muslim to enter the U.S., and the reason for this is obvious. They belong to a cult which seeks the destruction of our way of life and are ordered by their guidebook (the Qur’an) to stop at nothing to reach that goal. The cult they belong to orders them to wage war against us. If they choose to belong to that cult, we are stupid to take their word for it that they don’t believe and support the written goal of that cult.

Again, it’s not the “people.” It’s the cult. The people have a choice to either belong to that cult, or not. If they choose to belong to it, they can choose to leave or stay out.

Gregor on July 6, 2009 at 8:10 PM

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 7:02 PM

No my point was to relocate all muslims in the West to any Islamic state of their choosing, we don’t want them trying to take over our country with their filthy retarded barbaric dark ages cult of hatred, war, terror and misogyny. Muslims who leave Islam can stay.

Personally I’d go a step further. Islam should be banned in every country-this can be done without harming a single muslim (though in reality it won’t be so easy).

The world needs to recognize that Islam is inhumane, violent and illegitimate ideology invented by a mass murdering pedophile terrorist. It divides the world into muslim and non-muslim and leads to warfare between the two groups, its also oppressive for those who live under its rule.

We’ve abolished Nazism and extremists cults, we should do the same with Islam. The goal of all muslims is global conquest and the jihad they’re waging against us is unending, until Islam wins or it is eliminated by us.

The reality is, whether people choose to accept it or not, we’re in WW3 against Islam, its a war between Civilization and Barbarism, started by muslims against all of humanity. Their goal is our submission, conversion or death.

They state this very openly and anyone that tries to lie about it or hide this fact is fooling no one-except the fools on the left. Our leaders, esp. Congress needs to have a very open, public and honest debate about Islam…that’s one of the best ways to address this problem.

thinkagain on July 6, 2009 at 8:20 PM

And what is your statutory authority? I’m a US Citizen, born and raised. I wore the uniform of this nation for 5 years, and shipped out for OIF I. I’m also a muslim. Should I be deported? What about my wife? Or my two US citizen children? Or any future children we have here in the US?

How will any law you try to pass jibe with any of the basic tenets of the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution?

So… if *any* Christian states that the basic tenet of Christianity is to kill infidels, and gathers enough people around him and pulls off some spectactular mass casualty attacks, we can then declare that the written goal of Christianity is the murder of infidels, regardless?

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 8:29 PM

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Actually that’s the muslim position-to those who refuse to convert to Islam, they get in return terrorism, violence and death. Its right out of their “holy book” of terror, the Quran.

Sura 8:12 – I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them.

Qur’an 9:5 – Fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, harass them, lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war.

Qur’an 8:39 – So, fight them till all opposition ends and the only religion is Islam.

Don’t put words in my mouth I clearly said muslims should be deported (to muslim countries) because we know its their goal to conquer the West and the world.

However this war was started by muslims and in war the goal is to defeat you enemies by any means in order to win/survive. Deportation isn’t the only solution but presently the most peaceful method to protecting our civilization from destruction by a foreign ideology/enemy.

thinkagain on July 6, 2009 at 8:47 PM

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 8:29 PM

So did the cockroach who threw the grenade into the tent filled with his fellow soldiers. He did it because he was a practicing Muslim.

Islam should be made illegal in the U.S. and if you feel you believe in the Qur’an that strongly, which dictates that you wage war against all non-believers, then see ya later. Your choice.

Islam is not, regardless of what anyone claims, a religion. It is a cult. It’s basically a brutal gang, much like the Crips or Bloods. Using your defense, the Crips and Bloods could simply claim to be a religion and suddenly gangbanging would be perfectly legal.

Now you’re just being stupid, again. There is nothing in the Christian Bible that instructs followers to murder. Nothing. Zero. Nada. The actions of a few followers do not change the religion itself. Similarly, people who claim to be Muslim and do not kill, do not change the fact that the Qur’an instructs its followers to kill Christians and Jews.

We’re talking about a book that instructs people to kill Christians and Jews, and to wage war against the world. And you think this should be allowed to be passed onto children? You’re okay with that? It scares me to believe people freely hand this book to their children.

What do you think would happen if you wrote a book that instructed people to go out and kill a specific group of people, you passed the book out all over the city, and people started acting on it? What do you think would happen to you? You would end up in jail on all types of charges. You think?

So why is the Qur’an and its pedophile author any different?

Finally, I’m curious to know why, if you’re truly a Muslim, you continue to spell “Muslim” using small caps. I think you’re full of shit.

Gregor on July 6, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Its right out of their “holy book” of terror, the Quran.

thinkagain on July 6, 2009 at 8:47 PM

flashoverride obviously missed all these quotes while “studying Islam”, hahaha!

Unbelievable.

Gregor on July 6, 2009 at 8:49 PM

I’m a US Citizen, born and raised. I’m also a muslim. Should I be deported? What about my wife? Or my two US citizen children? Or any future children we have here in the US?

As long as you and your family are members of the terrorist death cult of Islam who’s stated goal is the destruction of western democracy/civilization and conquest by Islam, of course you should be deported.

Your religion would abolish the DoI and the Constitution to be replaced by Islamic rule and Sharia Law. If our laws were followed, Islam would already be outlawed and its members charged with sedition.

flashoverride on July 6, 2009 at 8:29 PM

That used to be the case with Christianity 300 years ago but then we had the Reformation and Enlightenment with the separation of church/state. So Christianity ceased being a death cult around that time. Islam has remained unchanged since it was invented in the 7th century.

Nonetheless Christianity has no such tenets, whereas Islam does and pointing out the evils in one cult doesn’t excuse the evils in your own.

Its ridiculous to compare the two religions since Christians are not suicide-bombing, smashing planes into buildings or rioting over cartoons. I say this as an atheist, so you could say I’m an objective observer.

Personally I’d like to see all religions recognized for the mythologies they are which lead to unnecessary human suffering and conflict. But there is no denying among all religions that Islam is a fascist, expansive, imperialist, arab supremacist ideology bent on global domination, much as Nazism once was and needs to be eliminated. Islam and the West are incompatible, one will necessarily defeat the other.

thinkagain on July 6, 2009 at 9:04 PM

flashoverride obviously missed all these quotes while “studying Islam”, hahaha! Unbelievable.

Gregor on July 6, 2009 at 8:49 PM

lol, I think he just missed telling us. ;) Nearly all muslims are well trained to lie about the true nature and intention of their death cult until its too late for us non-muslims to stop them. So for all their ranting or spreading the sweet lies that the cowards among us want to hear, their views really should be ignored.

Fact is, there really is no reasoning with brainwashed dime-a-dozen muslims like flashoverride. I argue with people like him for the benefit of my fellow citizens so they can see what muslims are really up to.

We’re dealing with a global ideological movement (like Nazism) and death cult. It will take a concerted effort by a majority of us in West to defeat this threat not just to our civilization but the world.

Perhaps the catalyst to ignite WW3 between the West and Islam will be Israel bombing Iran’s nuke sites. I thought 9/11 was sufficient but people still didn’t really catch on.

Fortunately however, the resistance to Islam is starting to grow and build, particularly in Europe. More people are waking up and ‘smelling the jihad’. There is no compromising with muslims, its winner take all in this game.

Muslims have slaughtered over 270 million people including 60 million Christians over 1400 years and enslaved 1.5 billion in the dark ages. Islam is a civilization-destroying killing machine that needs to be stopped or humanity is doomed.

thinkagain on July 6, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Flash! I’ve missed our seven foot tall blond blue eyed Marine Muslim. At first I thought he was fibbing about being a Muslim but after this thread I believe him. He lies like a Muslim.

Lebanon Muslim forever? Not so long ago it was 60% Christian until you brothers decided to hound them out of the country. Now they are a disappearing minority.

Do you work for CAIR Flash?

BL@KBIRD on July 6, 2009 at 9:32 PM

On topic

Well done China! Give Muslims reasons to wail. That calms them down.

BL@KBIRD on July 6, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Wow, I’ve never seen someone drop from a thread faster than Flash did after you started dropping those Qu’ran quotes on him! LOL!

BlameAmericaLast on July 6, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Gregor on July 6, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Ha ha ha. I’m certainly not lying. If you don’t believe me write Ambassador Haqqani (Pakistan) in Washington D.C. to ask what class he taught. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Islam 501: The Blood Thirsty Religion Determined to Rule the Earth. I’m also Catholic, so I’m not an “Islamic hack” trying to give Islam a good name.

I understand that many people are apprehensive about Muslims. Most people fear what they don’t understand, and you certainly lack a basic understanding of Islam. Go ahead and quote the few lines of the Quran that you’ve picked up on other forums that speak of killing infidels. Have you ever been inside of a mosque before? Have you ever read more than a few lines of the Quran? What about the Hadith? Have you ever spoke with actual Muslims, and lived to tell the tale? I’m assuming the answer is no.

Gregor on July 6, 2009 at 5:29 PM

By the way, one of my Krav Maga instructors is a former counter terrorism expert from Israel. He fought in Israeli-Lebanon War in 2006. When I told him what you said earlier he simply laughed and said “what an idiot.” Whatever though, that’s one person’s opinion.

Shock the Monkey on July 6, 2009 at 11:42 PM

BlameAmericaLast on July 6, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Haha, I think he realized the gig was up since his ‘religion of peace’ has been exposed for the hateful war mongering death cult that it actually is and its tough to defend the indefensible. :)

thinkagain on July 7, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Picked up from forums? Again, you’re either playing stupid, or you really are stupid. There aren’t just a few lines, and they’re not picked up from “forums.” They’re written word for word IN THE QUR’AN. You choose to simply IGNORE them because they don’t fit the whole “peaceful religion fantasy.”

For you to suggest that these quotes are simply “picked up from forums” is about as dishonest as it gets.

Have you ever been inside of a mosque before?

No, and I’m really not sure what difference it would make. I could stand inside a mosque for five years without stepping outside and it wouldn’t change one word that’s written in the Qur’an.

Now, if someone doesn’t believe what the Qur’an says, why the Hell do they call themselves Muslim?

Have you ever read more than a few lines of the Quran?

I’ve actually read the entire Qur’an. Twice. And I have a copy in my desk which I continually reference to correct those such as you who are either lying, or simply like to speak about what they do not know. There’s nothing like seeing a person’s face after they have argued that the Qur’an is misquoted or taken out of context, when you pull out a copy and show them word for word.

Have you ever spoke with actual Muslims, and lived to tell the tale?

Many times, while in the military and at home where I had a Muslim tenant who had been shot in the leg while attempting to get his family out of Afghanistan in 1987. I spent many nights sitting outside with his wife and two kids and eating BBQ. Did I trust him? Definitely. I thought they were a great family and had no problem with my son hanging out with his kids. I didn’t even realize at the time, a week before 9/11, when his entire family packed up and left the country. I didn’t think anything of it until I was cleaning the garage to ready it for the next tenant, the week after 9/11, when I found a manila envelope stashed behind the water heater filled with falsified documents and information related to several Muslim ex cons and felons. Parole papers, false IDs, falsified welfare paperwork, and other garbage.

I called the phone number they had put out at the time for tips, they took the information, and I never heard back from them.

Beautiful. The entire family simply vanishes a week before 9/11. Coincidence?

It’s my fault though. I should have realized they weren’t the most honest people the day the guy drove up to the house and argued with him about them ripping his mother off in a used car sale. And maybe a few months later when some guy almost came to blows with him claiming he had stolen a case of cash out of his car.

Muslims are raised from birth to lie about their religion. Of course, you know this already, because you’ve studied the Qur’an and you’ve read it. Right?

No, you’re a tool, allowing yourself to be used by Islamic hacks who run around telling people, who are too lazy to read for themselves, how peaceful the ‘cult’ is.

Right. Because they just put all those violent orders to wage war, murder, and dominate … for the fun of it. You know? As sort of a gag. Just to keep people off balance.

Hey Mohammed my brother! Haha! This will be really funny! Let’s tell all the Muslims to go out and kill all the non-believers and see if they’ll fall for the gag! HAHAHA! It will be funny!

Gregor on July 7, 2009 at 1:03 AM

If by disappear from the thread you mean go and watch Jarrod Washburn 1 hit the Orioles, then yeah.

Deuteronomy 17
17:2 If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites … And they warred against the Midianites, as the LORD commanded Moses; and they slew all the males. And the children of Israel took all the women of Midian captives, and their little ones … And they burnt all their cities….
And Moses was wroth with the officers … And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? … Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. Numbers 31:1-18

And the LORD our God delivered him before us; and we smote him, and his sons, and all his people. And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain: Deuteronomy 2:33-34

And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword. Joshua 6:21

So Joshua smote all the country of the hills, and of the south, and of the vale, and of the springs, and all their kings: he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel commanded. Joshua 10:40

That thy foot may be dipped in the blood of thine enemies, and the tongue of thy dogs in the same. Psalm 68:23

Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. Matthew 10:34

He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36

flashoverride on July 7, 2009 at 1:27 AM

How many are we going to pay to live in Bermuda?

DANEgerus on July 7, 2009 at 4:11 AM

Now China’s blocked facebook.

chinotex on July 7, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Gregor,

Never once did I claim that Islam was a religion of peace (if you want to base your argument on a false premise, by all means do so). In fact I do not believe that any such religion can claim that title since terrible things have been done in the name of religion for centuries. There is no use arguing with crazy people. That being said, you are clearly a paranoid individual. The term lunatic fringe comes to mind. Regardless, the point of the initial post on this thread was to state that China will be a bigger threat to U.S. National Security than revivalist Islam (a term you probably know nothing about since you seem to have grouped every Muslim into one category). If you truly believe that al-Qaeda or any transnational terrorist organization (I know you were referring to every Muslim, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt) has the potential and capabilities that surpass China in its ability to cause destruction to the U.S. and its allies, not only are you crazy but you are also a “hack” and either “stupid or really stupid.” Get help man.

Shock the Monkey on July 7, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Shock the Monkey on July 7, 2009 at 8:02 AM

All I can do is laugh at you. Because, obviously, China has waged war against the U.S. for centuries, right? Because China is responsible for SO many violent attacks on the U.S., right? Because China spends every day of every year planning and mapping out plans to destroy us, right? Because China is single handedly responsible for a causing a huge market meltown such as after 9/11, right? Because, China has sent secret cells into the U.S. to murder us, right?

Okay, sarcasm off.

Get a grip. You’re nothing but a fool walking around blindfolded.

Gregor on July 7, 2009 at 10:22 AM

China has waged war against the U.S. for centuries, right?

This was not my point, but if you want to get technical, U.S. troops have fought the Chinese in the Boxer Rebellion and the Korean War. Furthermore the Chinese supported the North Vietnamese with arms which we used to kill American soldiers during the Vietnam War. While not mortal enemies, they certainly are not our friends (just our loan sharks).

Regardless, this is not my point at all. Whether you examine China’s incredible emergence economically, politically or militarily, it is a threat to the US. This threat will become more clear in the coming years as China continues to grow and starts asking for its money back. The Chinese purposely antagonize the US Navy in the Pacific, and actively seek hurt our interests in Asia by allowing North Korea to misbehave. Furthermore, the Chinese will continue to scour the globe and “recolonize” Africa in the search for natural resources. Trust me friend, the wars of the future will not exclusively be over ideology but rather natural resources which the Chinese are acquiring at an alarming rate. Lastly, the Chinese (as do we) do have plans for a war against the US. They have for years, as have we. In fact, I have participated in a few of these wargames sessions myself at National Defense University. Things are not so bright and rosy in the Taiwan Straits. If Taiwan elects another Chen Shui Bian, expect tensions to rise. All it takes is for a few itchy trigger fingers and you have a war.

I’m not saying radical Islam is not a threat. It obviously is. However after examining how these radical parties have managed in elections across the Muslim world (just one indicator), the ebb and flow of Islamic politics suggests that more moderate powers will take their place. Regardless, these people are still a threat that need to be dealt with. However, China poses a much greater threat in the future as its 1.3 billion people and counting search for more resources and power to fuel their growth.

Shock the Monkey on July 7, 2009 at 10:59 AM

flashoverride on July 7, 2009 at 1:27 AM

God gave permission for specific people to be killed, who were much deserving of death, so Israel could be formed. He didn’t give a blanket statement that all unbelievers were to be put to the sword, for all time. Guess which book does, though?

BlameAmericaLast on July 7, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Flashoverride:

Between 2001 and 2009, over 15,344 deadly terror attacks by Muslims.

How many by Christians?

You need to learn to dissemble better, or just stop it. You may be able to convince Oprah watchers who haven’t read a book in years, but people here have done their homework.

We already have Muslims marching in the US calling for the slaughter of Jews and throwing stones at gays, among other things. And they aren’t feeling as confident as Muslims in Sweden who have driven emergency services out of Malmo, and Muslims in France who burn thousands of cars every year in riots that have become so common they’re barely reported.

Do people like Adam Ghadan convert to Islam and run off to join terror squads because the text says “peace, love, and happiness?”

If you’re sincere that you’ve rejected the bloody padt of your faith, as have Christians in such a large majority is stunning, then more power to you.

Magic Eight Ball says “signs are hazy, try again later and hide any charp objects nearby.”

Merovign on July 7, 2009 at 10:09 PM