Ace’s “special comment” on Palinistas

posted at 2:15 pm on July 6, 2009 by Karl

Edited only slightly, so there will be some profanity:

It’s this insane idea that if you want something to happen, you will also of course agree that it will happen, and if you don’t agree it will happen, obviously you don’t want it to happen.

In other words, if you’re cheering for one side, you must of course believe that side will win, and if you suggest our side won’t win, well, gee, you must be cheering against us.

It’s insane. I wanted the Giants to win against the Eagles in the playoffs, but I predicted they’d lose, because the Eagles had their number and they were coming apart at the seams. They did lose, for the reasons I guessed (I think). That did not mean I wasn’t “on their side,” I’ve been on the Giants’ side all my life.

But there is a mentality in the nutroots that if you dare to post a poll showing Republicans down and say “we’re in trouble, we need a game-changer,” well, that means you’re secretly rooting against our side.

And if you say that Fred Thompson isn’t catching on as hoped, well, you hate Fred Thomson.

And if you do not believe that Sarah Palin has some double-secret probation plan for the presidency, you must hate her too, and you’re rooting against her, and cheering for the other side.

This is fucking insane and it must stop. I will not be bullied by this ludicrous magical thinking brigade who insists that only Nice and Positive Words must be uttered or else one is contributing one’s Evil Energy to the Wrong Side.

It’s insane.

I disagree with you. I have tried to do so pleasantly but I am tired of the imputation of bad motive simply because I am more realistic and less prone to flights of hopeful fancy than you.

If you think I’m wrong, say so. I do not mind being called wrong. I do, however, greatly mind being called a traitor, of harboring a secret agenda I hide from you in order to advance the MSM’s interests, etc., and all the rest of this insane bullshit.

Someone can be wrong honestly, without the need of claiming he’s wrong dishonestly, wrong because he’s actively intending to subvert the cause (so he can of course get invited to these famous DC dinner parties, etc.)

Stop jumping to claim some one is not just wrong but actively malicious.

It’s insane. It’s fruit fucking loops. and it’s tiresome.

And I do think I am taking off the week. You guys only seem to want to talk about Sarah Palin and furthermore you only want to hear the same thing — she’s running, this is a great move, she’s now perfectly poised for the race, etc.

It’s nonsense. And I hardly need to blog about it, because you all seem to know the words to the song. So you don’t need me as part of the chorus. You can sing the same words well enough without me.

I am really tired of this relentless nonsense and occasional nastiness whenever someone is believed to have departed from the conservativey correct line.

To anticipate some of the responses that comments like this have already generated, for the purpose of this discussion, I really do not care what Ace wrote about Palin’s resignation, any more than I care about what Ed Morrissey wrote about it, any more than I care about the advice Jonah Goldberg was offering Palin before her announcement. I can disagree with any part or all of their opinions without irrationally jumping to the conclusion that they hate Palin, or have thrown in their lot with David Frum and Colin Powell.

Indeed, I can point out what I think are some of the flaws in Goldberg’s piece. He overstates how much Palin has been out of Alaska since the election, while understating the degree to which her profile these days has been dictated by David Letterman, Vanity Fair’s Todd Purdum, and disgruntled McCain campaign officials dragging her (and her daughters) into the spotlight. But consider some of the over-the-top reactions against Goldberg’s writing and person when the piece was linked here at HotAir (Obviously, not all of the critical comments were over-the-top, but if you read them all, you’ll find a fair number of them). To grasp how off-kilter some of the vitriol was, consider that Goldberg argued that Palin can match Romney’s ability to talk policy if she wants to, but Romney will never have Palin’s charisma. How that qualifies as heresy eludes me. The notion that Goldberg is somehow “blowing up the conservative movement” by stating his opinion also seems to impute to him influence far beyond that which he actually has (and I would say the same of Charles Krauthammer, let alone a handful of conservative bloggers).

As for her resignation, my analysis would be closer to that of Mark Halperin than Ace or Ed. But I can disagree with them on Palin’s future prospects while utterly agreeing with Ace’s comment about Palin’s most rabid supporters, who are probably doing her no favors. I suspect that some of the reasons the Left has a special loathing for Palin are the same reasons why some on the Right seem to have an absolutely blind love for her. Should she decide to run for president, the Left will likely enjoy the prospect of using her most devoted followers to highlight her most polarizing qualities.

Granted, the knee-jerk defense of Palin is also a product of the sheer volume and bile of the attacks on her from the Left. But the unfair attacks of the Left will not go away, so long as Palin remains in politics. Nor do those unfair attacks justify unfair attacks by Palin supporters against others on the Right who have supported Palin, or simply called the balls and strikes as they saw them. It is possible to be mistaken without being evil.

Finally, consider this from R. A. Mansour’s profile at Conservatives4Palin:

Make no mistake, the beating she took during the campaign was wounding. She’s not as confident as she once was. You can see it in the difference between her pre-campaign interviews and her post-campaign interviews. There’s a stuttering nervousness about her now. She’s trying to get back on her game.

That could be read more than one way. Presuming that Mansour did not intend to paint Palin as someone who can be beaten down by the likes of Katie Couric and Charlie Gibson, it suggests that Palin recognizes that she needs to raise her game to meet The Narrative likely to be built against her — should she seek a national leadership position. If so, Sarah Palin and Jonah Goldberg really are not all that far apart.

Addendum (Ed): Sarah Palin is not an issue.  Sarah Palin is not a political principle.  Sarah Palin is a politician.  If her supporters demand no criticism of a politician, they risk turning Palin and her supporters into nothing more than a cult of personality, the kind we derided with Barack Obama.  And it does our friends no favors if we see them going over a cliff and remain silent, or worse yet, cheer them to go faster.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11

I find it a little annoying that Ed has so soured on Palin that he felt the need to interject into someone else’ post. As if this:

Addendum (Ed): Sarah Palin is not an issue. Sarah Palin is not a political principle. Sarah Palin is a politician. If her supporters demand no criticism of a politician, they risk turning Palin and her supporters into nothing more than a cult of personality, the kind we derided with Barack Obama. And it does our friends no favors if we see them going over a cliff and remain silent, or worse yet, cheer them to go faster.

wasn’t obvious to everyone. What’s more it wasn’t merited. The post was fairly even handed. So why the need to imply a cult of personality right there in the post? Was a reply in the comments not good enough, or are we trying to pin that “cultist” label on to Karl as well?

TheUnrepentantGeek on July 7, 2009 at 11:30 AM

… I’ve been on the Giants’ side all my life.

See, right there, that’s what’s wrong with you.

thegreatbeast on July 7, 2009 at 11:37 AM

trying to pin that “cultist” label on to Karl as well?

TheUnrepentantGeek on July 7, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Why pin it at all, to deflect the frustrations of guilt? The “cultist” responses FOLLOWED the egging.

maverick muse on July 7, 2009 at 11:42 AM

The result of the egging of Palin was reciprocal egging.

Waste of eggs.

Worse yet, divisive.

maverick muse on July 7, 2009 at 11:44 AM

You seem to be confusing ladies with matrimony.

Joe Bloggs on July 6, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Not at all. See, my comment, though it followed the one about matrimony, actually wasn’t about just that but rather about his general disdain for women.

But thanks for proving that Americans really do have short attention spans.

Esthier on July 7, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Happily, the author himself does not impute

entagor on July 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM

vs.

I disagree with you. I have tried to do so pleasantly but I am tired of the imputation of being prone to flights of hopeful fancy simply because I rely less on the predictable than you.

maverick muse on July 7, 2009 at 12:07 PM

I admire Sarah Palin. I respect her immensely. I can even say that she was the main reason I voted for the Republican ticket.

I no longer believe that she is the answer for Republicans, though. I think she is pointing the way to the answer, but is not herself the answer. We need to open our minds and see that the answer is perhaps a next step beyond Sarah Palin.

Republicans need a leader with her charisma and her convictions, yet more intellectual depth and more personal stability. I don’t know who that will be but I sure hope that he or she is out there, and I suspect that such a person can/does reasonably exist.

Edouard on July 7, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Addendum (Ed) feigns a magnanimous motivation, pointing out the error of your critics’ way.

Where is your retraction, Ed?
maverick muse on July 7, 2009 at 10:35 AM

……………………………………..

Ed, can you improve your own professional public relations with this idea delivered as constructive criticism?

Or are you going to reject the idea and lash out because it hurts?

Or are you going to deny it and remain silent in self righteous mode, seething inside?
maverick muse on July 7, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Ed, as does Allah, confuses having an opinion, with being biased and boneheaded.

This following quote (bottom sentence in bold) from Ed, is the most often repeated defense of both Allah and Ed, when they in actuality, in my opinion, are being boneheaded.

video-matalin-thinks-palin-is-brilliant-for-resigning
“If people actually read what I’ve written about Palin over the past year, nothing could be further from the truth.

I’m going to give people my honest opinion, no matter what.”

Right.

No matter if you are wrong.

No matter if it’s clear that you had to be coerced into posting Matalin’s positive take on Sarah’s resignation.

No matter the fact that you haven’t posted Roger Stone’s take, that it will help her.

No matter anybody else’s opinion.

To hell with providing a counter point to your own opinion, which proves that you are biased.

To hell with your reader’s opinion’s, even if it’s clear that they coerced you into posting a counter point (since you didn’t have it in you, to do it on your own initiative), and, the majority think you are biased and some even get the feeling that you are boneheaded.

Yea.

To hell with them all.

……………………………………….

Ed, you are a blogger for God’s sake!!

So why should you be so afraid and reluctant to post a counter point, when after all, more blog posts just give you more blog hits, especially since they are in favor of the majority of your commenters?!

Isn’t the name of the game in blogging to get blog hits, as well as, provide your readers with various opinions, commentary and news?

So why then are you so reluctant to post counter-point opinions to you, Ed, when in fact these counter points are in favor with most of your readers/commenters, when also in truth they would make you more money via blog hits, UNLESS……… you are trying to manipulate the message……!!?

………………………………..

Therefore……….as I have tried to explain to Allah on numerous occasions, in ever so many wordy ways, via the comments section and email (as well as to Ed and Michelle), this is the reason why you are getting GOOD commenters transitioning THROUGH HERE like Gypsies in European countries that are in economic recession!

And here my friends, is the latest casualty.

So, in my last post on HotAir, I’m going to explain why…
….
You know…if you’re going to begin denigrating politicians in the same manner as the Left, don’t you think you could try focusing that vitriol on the Left? That’s what the Left does…why not copy them completely?

Miss_Anthrope on July 7, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Go right ahead, Ed, Allah and Michelle.

Keep it up.

It just opens up the playing field for better players.

Mcguyver on July 7, 2009 at 4:40 PM

TheUnrepentantGeek on July 7, 2009 at 11:30 AM

The problem *I* have is not that “Sarah Palin is not the issue” as Ed may have written…so be it.

The problem I have is that Conservatives seem all too ready and willing to destroy their own.

Read: SELF-DESTRUCTION.

Keemo earlier said two things of interest in response to me regarding Karl and other sub-bloggers (Green Room) here:

1) they do what the MSM will not/refuses to do, and

1) they do alot “for the cause” (perhaps I’m mis-quoting, but I fully understand, agree and sympathize).

Yet, tell me this:

The MSM’s actions to-date done have been little more than a DESTROY PALIN parade.

This is NOT good for Conservatives.

Maybe you are absolutely convinced about another candidate (already?!) for 2012. Nevertheless, I see no purpose in Conservatives “eliminating” any potentially successful candidate at this time. There’s no guarantee that “your” candidate won’t have circumstances (that’s why it’s called “life”…right?!) override their candidacy prior to 2012.

Or, are you simply “hell bent” on DESTROYING your “preferred candidate’s opposition” now?
BUT…isn’t that what the MSM does?!? (…not to mention it’s how Obama eliminated his opposition in Chicago to win his seat…)

If so, how is what YOU are doing any different from that which the MSM is doing?!

I see such folks as “useful idiots.”

(Do try to ignore the laughter of the ever-so-grateful Leftists as you continue the destruction…)

Lockstein13 on July 7, 2009 at 6:19 PM

We definitely should care what David Kahane said about Palin’s departure.

This is the most important article I’ve read.

fossten on July 7, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Anyone who has anything bad to say about Palin is a RINO.

Anyone who actually votes for the GOP is a RINO.

Anyone who tried to stop Obama is a RINO.

Anyone who disagrees with anything I have said is a RINO.

Rino.
Rino.
Rino.

(Meanwhile the left wing laughs it’s ass off and the country goes to hell)

Boxy_Brown on July 8, 2009 at 2:23 AM

TheUnrepentantGeek on July 7, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Ed couldn’t be Palin for 13 seconds with all the crap that has been thrown her way. He is getting cranky and irritated and needs to take a time-out for a little nappy. They can’t take it but they sure can dish it out.

So now we have been indoctrinated into some cult cause we have gotten tired of all the bashing and irresponsible spin against this one woman? And her “followers” are the same as mind numbed O-Bots?

I don’t think so. The Obots have never had to deal with 1 one billionth of the crap that we have had to listen to every day.

The GOP is full of girly men.

Geochelone on July 8, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Lockstein13 on July 7, 2009 at 6:19 PM

But..but..but..Palin needs to be criticized or she will become the cult of personality. We can’t have that. We have to follow the rules some conservatrive old fart wrote 100 years ago. Ed has a copy in his socks.

The MSM can’t do it all alone, that’s not fair. We need a bipartisan shredding, (each and every day) of Palin to make things fare. /sarc

By the way you have given us fair warning, we are destroying ourselves. All so that a certain faction won’t get offended when we defend Palin against a global media assault. Bunch of cowards.

All while Romney is workin on his tan and Sanford is writing love notes.

Geochelone on July 8, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Mcguyver on July 7, 2009 at 4:40 PM

+1,000,000

That was one rockin post. I feel the same way, exactly. Keep posting like that. I will.

Geochelone on July 8, 2009 at 8:34 AM

“Hope” as an empty slogan is a bad thing.

Hope as the actual virtue of having a desire of something positive along with the expectation of obtaining it.

The fact that “hope” was used as a slogan used by the Obama campaign doesn’t mean that hope, especially passionate hope, should be derided.

There’s nothing wrong with real hope. Hope is a virtue.

If Palin would make an outstanding president based on her positions on issues, the hope that she will become president is honorable and should be encouraged.

Palin gives me real hope. Don’t step on my hope.

Blessings, all.