Video: Cap and trade explained

posted at 12:30 pm on July 5, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Maybe the catchiest satirical song you’ve heard since Mary Katharine Ham and her brother Jon teamed up on “Obama on Your Shoulder,” and just as biting. The Tax Foundation offers this didactic ditty to explain exactly who benefits from the cap-and-trade system that the House barely passed a week ago. It’s not the environment, and it’s certainly not the poor. It’s that guy in the tall hat:

Someone’s going green, all right. Congress wants to skim off the top of the energy industry to fund its pet projects, and keep on picking winners and losers just like they did in the housing industry.

Update: Don’t forget to go to the Tax Foundation’s site to see how cap-and-trade will affect you.

Comments

That would be funny if it weren’t so sadly true.

conservnut on July 5, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Excellent. More like this please.

Dash on July 5, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Vigorish!

OldEnglish on July 5, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Ouch! Bet I won’t even get the common courtesy of a reach around.

conservnut on July 5, 2009 at 12:40 PM

When someone knowingly takes your money via false claims, that is fraud. I’m certain that all but a small handful of our elected representatives know that CO2 IS NOT a greenhouse gas and that man made global warming is a hoax.

Couldn’t a case be made for prosecuting each and every one that voted in favor of this for fraud?

CC

CapedConservative on July 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Who’s getting richer from the trade part of it, Goldman-Sachs, Al Gore or GE?

petefrt on July 5, 2009 at 12:54 PM

When someone knowingly takes your money via false claims, that is fraud.

CapedConservative on July 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM

You’re damn right it is. FRAUD.

petefrt on July 5, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Is it ‘Crap and Fade” or ‘Cap and Trade”. I can’t seem to discern the difference.

savvydude on July 5, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Sounds like a song from Scholastic Rock or The Electric Company.

The Monster on July 5, 2009 at 12:56 PM

There is a high amount of CO2 in my area right now, my lawn has unmowed itself the last couple of days.

fourdeucer on July 5, 2009 at 12:58 PM

This is almost enough to make me want to resign my position and fight.

kahall on July 5, 2009 at 12:58 PM

CC
CapedConservative on July 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM

CO2 is a greenhouse gas, CC…. but it is NOT a pollutant as the EPA claims (so they can regulate it)….damn right it’s a hoax though.

Patrick S on July 5, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Haha this is great. This must be the same guy who did this absolutely hilarious video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1RMuoQnKo

Yossarian on July 5, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I just can’t. I don’t want to know, just take me money. It’s gonna be a sparse Christmas this year.

That it is! That, and Obama’s Elf still rings through my head…

JetBoy on July 5, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I just used the Tax Foundation Cap N Tax calculator and it turns out that I really cannot afford the increases that are going to come.

myrenovations on July 5, 2009 at 1:01 PM

That, and Obama’s Elf still rings through my head…

JetBoy on July 5, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Thanks a LOT, JB. Now I want to jam a screwdriver in my ear.

Patrick S on July 5, 2009 at 1:06 PM

myrenovations on July 5, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Of course not, you’re not suppose to be able to afford it. It is suppose to break you financially.

doriangrey on July 5, 2009 at 1:08 PM

doriangrey on July 5, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Which is not at all what my congresswoman said in her reply to my begging her to vote no.

myrenovations on July 5, 2009 at 1:13 PM

I’d like to see this run when the Senate votes on Cap and Tax.

Thank You Aaron!

Star20 on July 5, 2009 at 1:14 PM

bout sums it all up.

SHARPTOOTH on July 5, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Don’t be lulled into complacency.

If we don’t constantly petition our Senators we will have Cap & Tax to deal with.

We must also get the House and Senate to reign-in the EPA on this CO2 is a pollutant and the ”endangerment” ruling they will hand down. This would be, if anything, worse than Cap & Tax.

We must impress upon our Congress critters and Senate critters that the Obama-don’t-Care Socialized Medicine bill MUST be defeated.

If we fail with Cap & Tax we can kiss our economic well-being goodbye. If we fail with the Obama-don’t-Care Socialized Medicine bill, we can kiss our freedom goodbye!

Phone, write, & email your legislators as often as you can. Keep it up ’til these bills are toast.

TennDon on July 5, 2009 at 1:16 PM

As a retiree that has everything paid off I end up with paying nearly 3% of my annual income on Crap and Tax. It would be worse except I live off grid and produce all my own electricity with solar and wind. I read the analysis of C & T on NRO and I would be so screwed if I have to cut energy use by 50% by 2018. Nothing left to cut since we cut everything to the bone to go to a renewable energy home. I guess I will be seeing a lot of government agents in hell since I will not let them on my property to inspect my home and resources.

chemman on July 5, 2009 at 1:18 PM

myrenovations on July 5, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Jeez I sure hope you are not surprised that your congresswoman lied to you.

doriangrey on July 5, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Jeez I sure hope you are not surprised that your congresswoman lied to you.

doriangrey on July 5, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I was more surprised that she or someone on her staff could write in complete sentences.

myrenovations on July 5, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Uncle Soros?

Shy Guy on July 5, 2009 at 1:27 PM

It’s about time to “pop a cap” on these weasels.

TexasJew on July 5, 2009 at 1:28 PM

No coal.
No nuclear.
No oil or gas.
Payoffs galore.
Destruction of our economy and competitiveness.
Massive permanent loss of jobs.
Power brownouts and blackouts.
Gas lines.
Our enemies strengthen while we grow weaker.
Poverty.

TexasJew on July 5, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Their C&T tax calculator was put together before the amendments to the bill that reflect all of the housing efficiency stuff as well, so it’s understating the impact.

Midas on July 5, 2009 at 1:37 PM

CC
CapedConservative on July 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM

PLEASE get espouse the correct arguement…

CO2 IS a Greenhouse gas. Problem is that it only takes IR energy in on very specific frequencies, its absorption spectrum.

Key is that ALL of the energy in those wavelengths is ALREADY being absorbed, thus adding more CO2 will not do anything… you would have to add more ENERGY for there to be an effect.

CO2 is a Greenhouse gas, but we are already FAR be the concentration needed for it maximum effect.

Romeo13 on July 5, 2009 at 1:41 PM

PLEASE espouse the correct arguement…

CO2 IS a Greenhouse gas. Problem is that it only takes IR energy in on very specific frequencies, its absorbtion spectrum.

CO2 is a Greenhouse gas, but we are already FAR above the concentration needed for it maximum effect.

Sorry for the last post, meant to hit preview, not post on it…

Romeo13 on July 5, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Anything about the environment by Cap n Trade is a red herring. The bill is simply a power grab with lots of pork and goodies for campaign donors. Wondered why the House hasn’t taken the time to read the bill? Why read a bill that is only about pork and power? If the bill had any merit to it, it would have been debated.

Weebork on July 5, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Three days ago:

1 block of cheddar, two onions, package of sweet Italian sausage, loaf of French bread, package of thin speghetti, one 20lb bag of Purina……$45.95

That is two meals for the humans(first night and leftovers), and a week for the four dogs.

After Cap-n-Trade: you might be able to afford the onions.

Limerick on July 5, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Why go through all this B.S., just figure out the correct amount and we can pay ACORN, the Labor Unions, Trial Lawyers and Teachers directly. They won’t even need masks to rob us.

Jeff from WI on July 5, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Politician’s logic

JohnJ on July 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Psst. Keep this under your hat but the real name of this bill is Crap & Tax — which, as it turns out, is the perfect name.

RandyChandler on July 5, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Thanks to Obama I’m laid off and looking to have to travel quite a bit further when I get employed again so crap and tax will hurt me even more now. That’s assuming I can make what I was making before, which of course is not guaranteed.

Good job Barry!

aikidoka on July 5, 2009 at 2:31 PM

myrenovations on July 5, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Ya mine said that my taxes would only go up $40.00 a year and the corporations had to pay the rest and they could not pass it on BY LAW! What a joke.

boomer on July 5, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Yossarian,
Thanks for the YT clip from Remy – that was hilarious.

And Crap and Tax is just the biggest Government boondoggle evah – nothing more, nothing less. It has become so transparent now – it may actually work out if this legislation gets passed and people start feeling the heat – literally and figuratively.

When more factories shut down down, coal plants are closed and power outages become common, conservatives can then ask the people of America

Is this what you want ? If so, for how long ?? and what exactly have you achieved in “reducing” green house gases

The American public that is completely ignorant of what this crap sandwich is going to do need a rude shock to get to their senses – there are so many millions of well meaning RUBES who have fallen for this nonsense.

nagee76 on July 5, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Since every person exhales CO2, I take it people will get tax refunds for aborting their kid and with Obama Care, killing off Grandma early.

Jeff from WI on July 5, 2009 at 2:45 PM

…killing off Grandma early.

Jeff from WI on July 5, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Killing the elderly seems to be high on the Dems agenda.

If they pass this taxing boondoggle and make it into law the first hot summer or cold winter will be filled with the untimely deaths of elderly folks on fixed incomes who had to choose which bills to pay. If you voted for Obama or a Democrat in the House or Senate – hope you are ready to bear the burden of what you have wrought on our elderly.

I asked a few of the offices of those leaning “yes” members of congress what they would do about the old folks who couldn’t afford this tax. Most had no idea. One said there was a provision for old homes but couldn’t quote the language or point out where that was in the bill, and had no answer for the elderly who live in apartments or in all-inclusive apartments. And none had any idea how to answer what to do about how this tax would affect the elderly in every area of their lives, not just their electricity bill.

Disgraceful.

batterup on July 5, 2009 at 2:58 PM

GoRemy ftw!!!!!!!! He’s done several other videos for the Tax Foundation.

darii on July 5, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Clearly, I live an abnormal life: the calculator tells me my burden will only be about .6% of my expenditures (or about .3% of my actual income).
Honestly, I don’t think “what it will cost you” is the correct question to ask, unless you want to include “your job” in that. The real impact will be how all the regulation, favoritism, and corruption will damage the economy as a whole, reducing income opportunities regardless of the price levels.

Count to 10 on July 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Killing the elderly seems to be high on the Dems agenda.

I asked a few of the offices of those leaning “yes” members of congress what they would do about the old folks who couldn’t afford this tax.Most had no idea. One said there was a provision for old homes but couldn’t quote the language or point out where that was in the bill, and had no answer for the elderly who live in apartments or in all-inclusive apartments. And none had any idea how to answer what to do about how this tax would affect the elderly in every area of their lives, not just their electricity bill.

Disgraceful.

batterup on July 5, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Think about it, they have to kill off grandpa & grandma. With an underfunded Social Security & Medicare, the government doesn’t have to pay out for the dead.

Jeff from WI on July 5, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Count to 10 on July 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Not to mention the shocking government intrusion into the economy. But I do think pocketbook issues are important since this is being promoted as a way to reduce costs by lessening “dependence on foreign oil.”

darii on July 5, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Cap and Trade Crap and Traitors.

profitsbeard on July 5, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Heh, and everyone wonders why the unemployment figures keep jumping up –
It’s Obamanomics stupid!!

izoneguy on July 5, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Weebork on July 5, 2009 at 1:50 PM

And people are wondering why Sarah resigned.

izoneguy on July 5, 2009 at 6:32 PM

good song

deedtrader on July 5, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Robert Preston would be proud!

GT on July 5, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Cap and Trade Crap and Traitors.
profitsbeard on July 5, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Crap & Heave – fixed it!!!

yoda on July 5, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Crap and Trade is based on the Global Warming Hoax. Considering an increase of 50% to the average homeowners(renters, everyone with a power bill)electric bill) I think the Global Alarmists need to prove global warming as fact before this TAX gets levied on the people. I don’t think Al Gore needs any more money, but would love to see him ride a guillotine for defrauding the public and the government.

adamsmith on July 5, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Very niiiiiiiiiiice……….

Lockstein13 on July 5, 2009 at 7:43 PM

It is Remy! Teh Awesome.

- The Cat

P.S.

MirCat on July 5, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Has anyone else noticed that when the political hacks and the ecomaniacs speak, they emit huge clouds of CO2???

How ’bout we CAP government and TRADE any elected representative who votes for this Obamination of a bill!!!

landlines on July 5, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Cap and trade: think the old adage “robbing Peter to pay Paul” except add “and knife the elderly and the poor in the back.” Why does this all seem like a shell game to me?

Um for all of you people much smarter in all things science than I…Isn’t CO2 necessary for plant photosynthesis?? It has been a looooong time since I took a science class but I think I remember reading that. And what happened to the old saw “Plant a tree, save the environment” or some other such stuff? I thought that was what Arbor Day was all about? How about this: Plants need CO2 to survive. We’re “giving off too much CO2″ (I don’t think so!) How about we plant more trees?

I like landlines solution except no trades! Let’s just give the idiots to Iran and let Iran sort them out. The first time they start screaming about civil rights, the problem will be solved.

Driefromseattle on July 5, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I’ve had that “cap =whistle= and trade” in my head all afternoon.

jgapinoy on July 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Where was this 8 months ago

Greenhelmet on July 5, 2009 at 10:35 PM

His Arlington Rap is great, too..

Reaps on July 6, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Who’s getting richer from the trade part of it, Goldman-Sachs, Al Gore or GE?

petefrt on July 5, 2009 at 12:54 PM

George Soros!!

P. Monk on July 6, 2009 at 2:20 AM

I read somewhere that the amount of the worlds CO2 that humans put into the invironment was less than 1%. Plants are an interesting source of CO2. During the day they use photosynthiesis to break down the CO2 and water they take in to produce sugar. The process results in Oxygen being released. At night, they are still in the process of growing but using minerals they have obsorbed. The night process releases CO2. That sort of evens things out as far as the argument goes. The problem with the plants occures when they die. They release CO2 into the enviroment. I am sure that everyone has seen dead leaves under a tree. How many trees are there in the world? Maybe OBama could do one of those depression era tricks and hire the unemployed to go rake leaves so that they can be sealed up some place where the CO2 can not be released. That would actually work better than cap and trade. Cap and Trade does not reduce any CO2 being released, unless you count the companies that used to produce products and energy that we no longer can afford to buy, going out of business. They will create out of thin air these carbon credits and assign a value to them. Third world countries, and that includes China and India, two of the worst polluters, will not have to reduce their CO2 production. They will sell them to industrialized countries, like ours so that our companies can continue to produce a product. That is a transfer of wealth from our country to foriegn countries without them having to produce anything in return. Where Al Gore will profit is his investing in companies that will not need their credits to produce their product; selling those credit to companies that have to buy them to stay productive. What is not made out of thin air is the money that the credits represent. That money comes out of the pockets of the tax payers one way or the other

Franklyn on July 6, 2009 at 5:41 AM

On the slim chance that your senators still listen to their constituents, inundate them with calls, faxes and emails to let them know how bad this bill will be for their own political survival. I think that’s the only thing they care about. They certainly don’t care about you or your family. Don’t appeal to their humanity. They abandoned that when they joined the 100 member club. Appeal to their sense of self-preservation. Then, next election, vote the sucka$$es out anyway.

SKYFOX on July 6, 2009 at 7:42 AM

Romeo 13:
You seem to be one of the few on this thread who wants to engage on the level of rational scientific thinking. Please tell us your credentials and sources for your claim that asserts that further increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide will have no effect on the amount of IR absorption. This is an interesting claim that would have profound implications concerning atmospheric science with regard to greenhouse gas concentrations.

radright on July 6, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Great ditty. So simple even a Kindergarten Teacher (and their students) can understand that the Government is after your money.

MSGTAS on July 6, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Patrick S on July 5, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Correct. CO2 is a greehouse gas, and it’s been steadily growing in our atmosphere (small fraction of a percent by small fraction of a percent) for the last decade (at least). But, for that same “last decade” there has been no global warming. In fact there has been a slight reduction in average global temperature. So…. it’s hard to connect the dots between global warming (which has stopped and CO2 levels (which have continued to grow).

Could that be why Gore and the media has slowly changed the verbiage from “Global Warming” to “Climate Change”?

You know “Climate Change” that stuff that’s been going on for a gazillion years. Now we’re supposed to stretch dots from CO2 causing global warming (greenhouse effect) to CO2 causing climate change (warming or cooling).

Everything’s cool as long as Gore can make Billions off it and our government can enslave us in poverty.

The next thing they’ll be telling us is that High sun spot activity corresponds historically with hot weather trends and low sun spot activity with cooling trends. That can’t be true until Gore figures a way to make billions off of it.

Ernest on July 6, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Good, good stuff there. :)

RedNewEnglander on July 6, 2009 at 5:34 PM

OK, Ed M. was right. This is funnier than my “One Single Payer System”.

Can I at least be the funniest healthcare YouTube vid.

misterdregs on August 22, 2009 at 8:00 PM