Video: Matalin thinks Palin is “brilliant” for resigning

posted at 6:30 pm on July 4, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

And now, just to be fair, the other side of the argument. Posted without editorial comment; you already know my opinion as someone who had never written a post critical of Palin before yesterday, and if you don’t, feel free to click on the links in the Top Picks column. Mary Matalin offers this analysis, transcript via Crooks & Liars:

MATALIN: Well, I think it’s really brilliant, with two caveats, one being that there’s nothing else, ala the Sanford fiasco. There’s nothing else that we don’t know. If all that’s there is what we see right now, it’s brilliant.

And, secondly, that she has a plan and people have a plan to put up with the conventional wisdom, chatterati and the political class saying how stupid it is, because it’s brilliant.

On the substance, there’s the key economic issue — I know everyone says — thinks it’s health care, but it’s really energy. And she’s the queen of energy.

And the second big issue for 2012 will be the role of government. And she has a record of reform and ethics reform and making government smaller and reigning in spending — all those issues that are getting increasingly important as Barack Obama expands on his agenda.

So — and her delivery was incredible — a charis — a less charismatic person probably couldn’t pull it off. But as — as already referenced, she will be freed up and liberated in the way Mitt Romney is here to run around and raise money and get political chips by spending it and get political capital. And she is still raising the kinds of crowds and money that she always did.

Follow the link to C&L if you want to hear a rebuttal from David Gergen and Ed Rollins, the latter of whom has been around Republican campaigns for a very long time.

Update: My caveat in the opening paragraph wasn’t about getting “beat up”; I’m a big boy, and I can take honest criticism. It’s correcting the falsehood in the comment strings that I’ve been a Palin-hater. If people actually read what I’ve written about Palin over the past year, nothing could be further from the truth. I’m going to give people my honest opinion, no matter what.

As for using the clip from C&L, er, so what? This segment is from CNN. I couldn’t find it on YouTube or on CNN’s site when I had a few minutes to post. Someone asked me if I would be fair and post Matalin’s defense after our criticism of Palin, and I posted what I could find of it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10 11 12 22

the_nile on July 5, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Fail. You have not provided evidence of a single thing that Mitt has done to destroy palin, as is alleged.

Comments from conservatives who disagree that what Palin did was “brilliant” is not evidence of anything other that a disagreement about the effectiveness of her sudden resignation, and other criticisms about her ability to articulate a message.

Buy Danish on July 5, 2009 at 4:15 PM

RD on July 5, 2009 at 2:02 PM

As others said, great comment. I’d add that she’s doing it not just for Republicans, but for the country.

INC on July 5, 2009 at 4:17 PM

As long as we’re into wild speculation, here’s my 2 cents: maybe Sarah wanted to prevent Bristol’s trailer-trash-ex-boyfriend’s golden goose from threatening to lay a golden egg like THIS:

Levi Johnston shopping tell-all to finance custody battle for son!
Gov. Sarah Palin’s worst nightmare is coming true! Her grandson’s dad is shopping an explosive tell-all book targeting the former vice-presidential candidate…

Sarah being “out” of the running certainly puts Levi’s negotiating a lucrative tell-all book deal on ice, along with his ability to finance an all-out custody battle, no?
And in light of all the Palin family have had to endure, I think voters would be willing to forgive this mama bear for protecting her cubs until the media & lefty bloggers like HuffingSomePaint, are permanently relegated to the naughty chair, that is.

NightmareOnKStreet on July 5, 2009 at 4:18 PM

I agree with that. I may disagree with Romney and his public persona, but I do believe that he is a decent man.
ddrintn on July 5, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Thank you! Palin and Mitt are both decent people and neither of them deserve defamatory slurs to their character.

Buy Danish on July 5, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Levi Johnston shopping tell-all to finance custody battle for son!

NightmareOnKStreet on July 5, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Yeah, but that Levi junk is a big yawn now.

ddrintn on July 5, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Yeah, but that Levi junk is a big yawn now.

ddrintn on July 5, 2009 at 4:27 PM

I don’t really see who likes to by the book , but it could be a backway from democrats to finance him for active smearjobs on Palin.

the_nile on July 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Rubbish.

If your the least bit curious about constitutional law, the responsibilities of the Governor of Alaska is clearly stated here.

…nothing about party consolidation here.

Speedwagon82 swings…and a miss!

Saltysam on July 5, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I didn’t mean it was literally her job genius. But if any governor wants a chance in hell of getting their agenda passed, they can’t needlessly piss off their own party in the legislature. That means getting them on her side through wheeling and dealing and basic courtesy.

Speedwagon82 on July 5, 2009 at 4:52 PM

I’m not so sure there is a scandal. We love us some scandal here in the USA, but I just don’t think there is one. If Levi had the goods, he’d have delivered by now.

He’s sort of only good at blowing his wad, it would seem…

bluelightbrigade on July 5, 2009 at 4:55 PM

What post did that happen in?

MadisonConservative on July 5, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Sorry. Here it is. Not much to see but the tombstone.

Loxodonta on July 5, 2009 at 4:56 PM

What post did that happen in?

MadisonConservative on July 5, 2009 at 4:00 PM

PS: IMPORTANT WARNING FROM ED WHEN QUOTING TROLLS

Loxodonta on July 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Sorry. Here it is. Not much to see but the tombstone.

Loxodonta on July 5, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Ahh…Now that was a good day. :]

bluelightbrigade on July 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I notice that Ed still hasn’t updated this with Sarah’s attorney’s letter.

Poor journalistic integrity, eh, Ed?

atheling on July 5, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Buy Danish on July 5, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Rightonrightonrighton!

petefrt on July 5, 2009 at 5:06 PM

He’s sort of only good at blowing his wad, it would seem…

bluelightbrigade on July 5, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I would agree. he would have revealed all he knows by now if there was something. I question though if any of it is true in all honesty.

deidre on July 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I believe Palin’s move has great potential if used correctly. She is going to be able to play a unique role in the mid-term congressional elections using her voice to hold the Democrats’ feet to the fire. This is something that other politicians can’t do who are more interested in holding their current office than doing what is right.

Rather than allow herself to be hamstrung by her office and allowing her office to be hamstrung by her, she has decided to take an unconventional approach. She has decided to do “what isn’t done”. This changes the entire political equation in a way that was thought “impossible” and will make a lot of people look pretty idiotic if she is successful so there is a great interest in preventing her from being successful.

Palin is now free to travel anywhere with anyone and say anything. She doesn’t have friends in the Republican “old boy” network. The Democrats are scared to death of her and judging from the articles on various blogs, a good number of Republicans are scared to death of her, too.

The fear of Sarah has caused the front pages of major US papers to become nothing more than gossip columns. People are so eager to print something negative that they repeat whatever they can find without any checking in hopes that if they throw enough mud, that some of it will stick.

News outlets and blogs risk the “boy who cried wolf” problem and as they continue printing what amounts to idle gossip, eventually nothing they print will be believed even if it is true.

Americans love to see an underdog, kicked when they are down, get up and do some kicking of their own. Being anti-Palin isn’t going to be particularly endearing to people as long as it is simply repeating fabricated stories.

crosspatch on July 5, 2009 at 5:18 PM

For crying out loud, there is NO scandal. WTF is wrong with all these mamby pamby bloggers? Have you become that jaded? Or are you really that depraved that you WANT a scandal? Sarah Palin made it very clear what she is doing: She is taking back her country. She is going to bust her hump getting her message out to the voter and making sure those candidates who support her vision get her support. I honestly believe she has no plans in place for a 2012 run but rather wants to change the political landscape in DC by affecting as many House and Senate races that she can in 2010. She sees where we are headed and she’s trying to stop this careening train before it jumps the tracks and goes over the cliff. I also think she is going to spend alot of time working as an advocate for families with special needs children. She certainly has the time now. Sarah Palin knows this country is hungry for a grassroots revolution and I think it took alot of courage for her to relinquish her power as a governor to become the voice for the average American. God knows we’ve been screaming for that voice. Let’s just hope she inspires other voices–which I think is her primary mission.

Redneck Woman on July 5, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Poor journalistic integrity, eh, Ed?

He turned off the computer and put it in the closet where it belongs.

peacenprosperity on July 5, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Redneck Woman on July 5, 2009 at 5:23 PM

The only point I would disagree with is that ‘she has no plans in place for a 2012 run…”

The plans are in place but they have not been activated yet. It will takes time for Sarah to execute a game plan, to get her ducks in a row, recruit advisors and staff and to build her organization.

The 2010 midterms and her active participation in getting many GOP House and Senate members elected will be pivotal for Sarah’s chances for the GOP nomination in 2012.

technopeasant on July 5, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Redneck Woman on July 5, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Extremely well said. +100

technopeasant on July 5, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I agree with what you said. It will probably be the most interesting twist on politics as we know it today. She will traverse the country pulling in enormous crowds, promoting the conservative message to encourage the country with no b.s., just pure honest delivery and yet, never asks for their vote.

More than likely, in two years the country will be begging her to run.

sherry on July 5, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I am a conservative for life because I know who I am and what I believe in. My conservative ideology stands on the shoulders of great thinkers from Cicero to Burke. And moreover, it’s been tried and tested. Our great country was founded on conservative principles. I do not understand when conservatives engage in fruitless debate on political tactics and technics. In my opinion, educating and enlightening Americans especially new immigrants is more important than winning elections (a recent Pew research study says more people identify themselves as conservative than any other ideology in the US) When more people learn of what we stand for and understand the history of the US, we stand a chance of consigning liberalism into the dustbin of history. Liberalism or whatever name is in vogue for the Hollywood crowd is not an ideology, it’s an emotion; take any issue you’re well informed and start a debate with any liberal person you know; as you wind down the debate knocking every fickle opposing point; the argument ends in a meek tone from your liberal colleague in this form or something similar “but it’s only fair that blah blah blah” Their ideas are never put to test to see if it works or fails, we all just need to go along because “it’s only fair”. So in essence what I’m trying to convey is for conservatives to stop arguing tactics with someone you agree with on majority of the issues and start fighting for what has built this country to it’s greatness so we can hand over a better country to our children. Do you honestly believe that if SP was President, we would be talking about a Government Motors, or Government take over of Health care? yes, the msm might still keep us abreast with Palin family issues but does any true conservative believe we would be fearful of the direction our country would be headed? if your answer is the obvious No, then why the hassle about her resignation? what she has done, if it’s political, is tactical, it could work or it may fail but that’s no excuse to throw the woman to the lions and regurgitate every lefty insults and mischaracterizations; by doing that, you are indirectly aiding and abetting people who may be unknowingly destroying this country.

julian on July 5, 2009 at 5:53 PM

This is a little off-topic, but I was reading about the ethics complaints against Palin and found that the law requires that the complaints be confidential, unless the target of the complaints chooses to make it public.

I wonder what the penalty is for breaking that law, because it looks like the people who filed the complaints broke it in at least a couple (the only ones I’ve investigated more in-depth so far). And I wonder how a person would go about getting charges filed for those crimes.

Regardless of what happens with Palin now, we have to have a way of combating this game strategy by the left. Seems like the law itself has protection against what these people have done. Now we need to make sure that the people filing these claims, the people in government who confirm to media the existence of the claim, and the media who reports on the claim are charged with the crimes they have committed.

Anybody in Alaska know what the process is? We have to fight back. If we have to do the Cloward-Piven thing of inundating law enforcement offices with requests for investigation, complaints, etc then that’s what we need to do.

I just strongly believe that we have to make this an unprofitable strategy for these jerks.

justincase on July 5, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Not a big fan of this website. Only check it out for relevant video. Have been told more than once to stop viewing it by the big guy. Commentary sucks IMHO.

That said, Sarah Palin will take the nation by storm, so unconventional and so what the conservative (can’t bring myself to say Republican) party needs. Reagan part deux!!

mathscience41 on July 5, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Ed,AP as an Alaskan Palin supporter I won’t atomatically jump on you for your OPINION of the course Sarah has taken. I to am still a little in shock over loseing my gov. I will say that I am willing to wait and see what she has up her sleve. I do think however that you guys should run over to Sarah PAC and donate seeing she has brought in over 10000 comments on 12 diffrent threads for you. Pay up suckers

akoilfieldtrash on July 5, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I think Sarah Palin should run for Don Young’s House seat. She could probably beat him and at the same time learn about national politics. I like Sarah Palin personality wise, but she needs to learn about national politics in order to be taken seriously. The timing of her resignation sucks though. She should have waited until time to campaign/run against Young to resign. Instead she might have dug herself a deeper hole by resigning so early.

NathanG on July 5, 2009 at 6:28 PM

NathanG on July 5, 2009 at 6:28 PM

She’ll have a lot more impact on the present state of the country without being impeded by public office right now.

a capella on July 5, 2009 at 6:34 PM

I’m afraid that’s got nothing to do with her and everything to do with news media today. Look at the ET approach to MJ’s death. Like even my son said, “4 hours nonstop MJ coverage….today?”

AnninCA on July 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM

julian on July 5, 2009 at 5:53 PM

“If you hamper the war effort of one side, you automatically help out that of the other” – George Orwell.

Thanks, Ed Morrissey and Allahpundit, you traitors.

atheling on July 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM

a capella on July 5, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Maybe, but are there many precedents for that? Rush? Or will her role be as a mega-fundraiser in the 2010 mid-terms, looking to then turn it into a personal mandate to run in 2012?

dedalus on July 5, 2009 at 6:42 PM

There aren’t any precedents at all for this story. Usually, the loser VP is trying to get any attention. They have no problem going back to their old jobs.

This time? Boy, that wasn’t the case.

AnninCA on July 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Allah, it is so fun to have a “boogey-man”, just like the real Palin haters, they make up “FBI” stories, she is a “boogey-man”.
You aren’t a “Palin Hater” but you are the next best thing that posts on here…

right2bright on July 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Thanks, Ed Morrissey and Allahpundit, you traitors.

atheling on July 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Methinks the accusation of treason is being diluted by overuse.

ProfessorMiao on July 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM

This time? Boy, that wasn’t the case.

AnninCA on July 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM

They rightly understands her potential for 2012, that’s why they attack her.

the_nile on July 5, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Thanks, Ed Morrissey and Allahpundit, you traitors.

atheling on July 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Methinks the accusation of treason is being diluted by overuse.

ProfessorMiao on July 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Methinks it is also being leveled unfairly. Ed and Allah gave their honest opinions, within hours of a planet-rocking newsquake. Time will tell if they’re right or wrong, but even though I disagree with their prognosis, nothing they’ve said is wildly unreasonable. They also have taken the trouble to create the Green Room and graciously invite people to post there… almost all of whom disagree with them about the tombstone they believe Palin started chiseling for herself on Friday afternoon. I would also imagine it took some effort to keep this web site humming smoothly under the weight of thousands of comments blasting in over the holiday weekend. These are not things a couple of intellectual cowards or drive-by smear artists would do.

Ed and Allah probably have eyes filled with pulsating red veins from trying to read through all the feedback that’s been coming into the site over the last few days. If you think they’re wrong about Sarah Palin’s future, I’m sure they’re interested to hear why… but they’re probably mighty sick and tired of being told to shut up. They deserve better than that.

Doctor Zero on July 5, 2009 at 7:11 PM

AP has always been a secret Obama admirer, you can deny it all you can now but pseudo conservative bloggers like you and Ed are definitely no match for the liberal bloggers; you guys look up to them and ask them politely to toss the ball back to you; bottom line you guys are clueless as to what our country currently faces. Your posts help in taking down our war generals like Rush and Colter; who take the bullets daily for our movement only to have weaklings like you crucify them here in the vain attempt to gain the respect of the msm; how’s that treacherous business model working for you, last time I checked, Hot Air was not included amongst the most influential conservative blogs in the US, if it was in the list sorry I did not see it, stopped reading at #999. You guys are a disgrace to our movement; I guess your only chance of redemption now is for SP to fail; you see why some of us here are screaming at you across the aisle and calling you traitors? we are fighting for our country while you guys are saying anything to fatten your money bags. Traitors!

julian on July 5, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Investigating baseless ethics charges – $2,000,000.

Defending against baseless ethics charges – $500,000.

The thunderclap resulting from fear induced slamming shut of the collective sphincters of the White House, DNC, and Soros & Company – Priceless.

Drunken Angry Clown on July 5, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Speaking of Ed and Allah…

Crow for Sale – BBQ, plain, crispy and fried

faraway on July 5, 2009 at 7:18 PM

The price goes up the longer you wait. :)

faraway on July 5, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Doctor Zero on July 5, 2009 at 7:11 PM

I have no problems with them pointing out the deadly carrier risks her action has , but i don’t like the narrative mongering of that she’s “done” nationally.

And then links and speculation about “scandals”.

So much crap and lies that’s been dumped at Palin , we don’t need more second guessing.

the_nile on July 5, 2009 at 7:20 PM

They deserve better than that.

Doctor Zero on July 5, 2009 at 7:11 PM

No they don’t.

Ed still has the “Unless the other shoe drops” header while that “shoe” was ably discredited by Palin’s lawyer. He has not updated or provided a link to the refutation.

Looks like Ed and Allah have to employ a fellow blogger to defend themselves. Kinda of lame and sad.

Maybe Ed and Allah are “finished”. Oops, did I say that too soon? And without any deep thought? Was it too reactionary?

atheling on July 5, 2009 at 7:36 PM

atheling, calm down now. You are in their home. Be civil.

faraway on July 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM

faraway:

What was uncivil with what I said? Should I provide links to some “progressive” blogs to support my assertion?

I’ll go see what Ed Rollins and David Gergens has to say about this /sarc.

atheling on July 5, 2009 at 7:39 PM

1,000 comments or bust.

That Palin chick is history.

faraway on July 5, 2009 at 7:40 PM

mathscience41 on July 5, 2009 at 6:21 PM

…couldn’t wait to register, though.

Saltysam on July 5, 2009 at 7:42 PM

INC on July 5, 2009 at 4:17 PM

She’s doing it for the country. “The Republicans” are a dubious entity.

disa on July 5, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Yeah, Mr. Grinning Screw-’n’-tell doesn’t have much character to fuel a custody battle.

disa on July 5, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Well, Palin isn’t playing coy. She makes it clear on her own facebook that she’s going national.

So I agree with Coulter. Did you guys see her piece?

It’s a good one.

AnninCA on July 5, 2009 at 7:55 PM

She’s doing it for the country. “The Republicans” are a dubious entity.

She smacked down the GOP, actually, saying she’d work for any candidate, regardless of party, whose principles she supports.

*shocker*

AnninCA on July 5, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Here’s the Coulter remarks. I think she nailed it.

AnninCA on July 5, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Doctor Zero on July 5, 2009 at 7:11 PM

I don’t post here often – is this an unusual amount of traffic, and is it primarily regarding Sarah? Just curious.

disa on July 5, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Here’s the Coulter remarks. I think she nailed it.

AnninCA on July 5, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Nope. Anne is always slightly off. She’s too jaded but Sarah is the real thing.

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Thanks, Ed Morrissey and Allahpundit, you traitors.

atheling on July 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Methinks the accusation of treason is being diluted by overuse.

ProfessorMiao on July 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Methinks it is also being leveled unfairly.
Doctor Zero on July 5, 2009 at 7:11 PM

As do I. Calling them traitors borders on the hysterical.

ProfessorMiao on July 5, 2009 at 8:18 PM

…but they’re probably mighty sick and tired of being told to shut up. They deserve better than that.
Doctor Zero on July 5, 2009 at 7:11 PM

No kidding! And if I were Sarah Palin I’d be concerned that I had so many unhinged ‘supporters’ who call themselves “conservatives” yet think it’s appropriate to call bloggers who provide information and cogent analysis “traitors” (a charge which is particularly ironic since on this particular thread Ed explicitly provided no editorial comment and linked to a complimentary assessment by Mary Matalin.)

Buy Danish on July 5, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Why is it that some people call anyone who doesn’t think Palin can do no wrong, or doesn’t think she walks on water, a “traitor”? That’s mostly literal, by the way. I’m not talking about all the cretins that pile on her out of elitism, but those that offer actual criticism.

That kind of blind, dazzled devotion is all too reminiscient of Obama supporters. It’s religious fervor. It’s frightening.

Yet they continue to give traffic and ad hits to those people they call traitors.

Huh.

Personally, I haven’t a clue what’s in Palin’s mind. I’m holding off until I see what she does after this.

MadisonConservative on July 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM

As do I. Calling them traitors borders on the hysterical.

ProfessorMiao on July 5, 2009 at 8:18 PM

It’s their house. So be polite. Both of them display evidence that they are capable of learning … they’ll come round.

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM

MadisonConservative on July 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM

IMO she’s been pretty clear about where she’s heading but if she wanted to retire from politics entirely (not happening) I would understand.

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:23 PM

As do I. Calling them traitors borders on the hysterical.

ProfessorMiao on July 5, 2009 at 8:18 PM

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Maybe I wasn’t clear. It is not only rude to call Ed and Allah traitors, it is ridiculous.

ProfessorMiao on July 5, 2009 at 8:24 PM

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM

*Groan*.

Buy Danish on July 5, 2009 at 8:24 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 5, 2009 at 8:24 PM

You were perfectly clear. “gh” is either a jackass, a moron, or both.

Buy Danish on July 5, 2009 at 8:25 PM

So you guys think now she will hire national advisers and camp out a few months before rolling out again?

She will try to become a non electoral leader for the republican party?

Or is he leaving the option for the long shot presidency bid?

TimeTraveler on July 5, 2009 at 8:25 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 5, 2009 at 8:24 PM

You were clear … I was just appending to what you said.

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:26 PM

You were perfectly clear. “gh” is either a jackass, a moron, or both.

Buy Danish on July 5, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Thanks.

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:26 PM

MadisonConservative on July 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:23 PM

I think that’s an important point. IYO. She’s dropped a lot of hints but she has not been explicit about her plans. That’s fine, too. But it’s not a basis for smearing people who prefer to see what she actually does, or wait for her to declare candidacy.

ProfessorMiao on July 5, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Maybe Palin isn’t thinking about 2012? She is thinking about 2016 and beyond?

Could we see her running for a senate seat in the future…

GOD THERE IS SO MANY QUESTIONS…..

PLEASE SARAH ANSWER THEM.

TimeTraveler on July 5, 2009 at 8:27 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 5, 2009 at 8:26 PM

I think she’s not been explicit in her plans because she is a true team player. At the same time she can see that no-one else is stepping up to the plate and she’s quite prepared to do so if it’s required.

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:29 PM

TimeTraveler on July 5, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Try 2010.

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Ed & Allah are not Traitors. They have their agendas, and they post accordingly. People are allowd to come here and post at THEIR invitation. It’s THIER HOUSE. It’s THIER RULES. You can voice your opposition to what they post (as I have in the past) repectfully.

Being able to comment at HotAir is a privilege not a right.

PS. If you are a Palin supporter (I am a big one), defend her positions with honor & civility. People who don’t automatically agree with you are not trolls, or less of a person. Totally trashing should be saved for the most egregious offenders…..you’ll know them when you see them.

portlandon on July 5, 2009 at 8:30 PM

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:30 PM

That’s all?

You don’t think she wants to run in the future? Maybe not in 2012 but in 2016?

TimeTraveler on July 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM

TimeTraveler on July 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Obama would have been impeached by now if not for the democrat majority. He’s completely out of control. I’ve seen some evidence (quotes by other hotair posters) that Sarah is wise to this. One huge thing she can do is to help other GOP candidates raise money.

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:34 PM

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:29 PM

What’s the assurance that once she were president Palin won’t again find that she’s decided on a better way to help the country and then step down citing (correctly) the gridlock, loss of privacy, and attacks in the press?

As unfair and difficult as the Alaska position is, the word is that the White House is more punishing.

dedalus on July 5, 2009 at 8:34 PM

dedalus on July 5, 2009 at 8:34 PM

lol

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:36 PM

MadisonConservative on July 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM

A troll shows up with this, then you appear again spouting your strawman again. Get off the computer. Palin will not ruin your life.

faraway on July 5, 2009 at 8:36 PM

dedalus on July 5, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Absolutely none. We will all get to vote again soon.

faraway on July 5, 2009 at 8:39 PM

TRAITOR !!!
ALLAH AND THE OTHER GUY ARE DEMOCRATS!

TimeTraveler on July 5, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Thanks.
gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:26 PM

You’re welcome. And in case you’re puzzled as to why I drew that conclusion it was this pompous, condescending statement:

Buy Danish on July 5, 2009 at 8:44 PM

TimeTraveler on July 5, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Tourettes ?

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:44 PM

The word ‘traitor’ should be reserved for Marxists like you know who, not for GOP members or conservatives.

technopeasant on July 5, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Buy Danish on July 5, 2009 at 8:44 PM

I try to be brief … perhaps you’ve noticed by now. Anyhow, I’m incredibly difficult to offend but you can try if you like.

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:45 PM

RD on July 5, 2009 at 2:02 PM

a capella on July 5, 2009 at 2:06 PM
Saltysam on July 5, 2009 at 2:10 PM
petefrt on July 5, 2009 at 2:20 PM
technopeasant on July 5, 2009 at 2:22 PM
INC on July 5, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Thanks & points well-taken!

Another group of Republicans who I believe will be handed their hats by Sarah Palin’s wing are not RINOs in the traditional sense but are almost as dangerous: the Newt Gingrich-led posse currently engaged in a misguided attempt to woo independents by adopting some of the left’s bullsh-t arguments on subjects like global warming, rather than opposing them on the merits using solid science and core principles. IMHO Newt’s strategy is too clever by half and, over the long term, epically foolish.

I’ve felt since the beginning this approach was a form of appeasement borne of a “pick-your-battles” laziness (or, at the very least, ‘helpless resignation’) and designed more than for political expediency than for doing the right thing.

Now all this is back on the table as well. Sarah Palin threatens this little Republican pet project as well. And well she should — it reeks.

RD on July 5, 2009 at 8:46 PM

trolls will push it over 1000 comments

faraway on July 5, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Geez, why all the Ed and Allahpundit bashing?

SouthernGent on July 5, 2009 at 8:47 PM

faraway on July 5, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Ha! How is it a “strawman” if multiple commenters are accusing Ed, Allah and other commenters of being “traitors”?

Buy Danish on July 5, 2009 at 8:47 PM

WHAT DOES PALIN WANT!

TimeTraveler on July 5, 2009 at 8:48 PM

MadisonConservative on July 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM

It’s not that I believe that Palin can do no wrong, but I am incensed over the fact that Morrissey is hinting at “another shoe will drop” based on scurrilous rumors that were dispelled by Palin’s lawyer. Several posters here have provided links to her lawyer’s statement, myself included.

He refuses to update said hint with this newsworthy item, which tells me there is bad faith with him and clearly with Allahpundit, when it comes to Sarah Palin.

I’m a newbie – and I can see this clearly.

atheling on July 5, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Geez, why all the Ed and Allahpundit bashing?

SouthernGent on July 5, 2009 at 8:47 PM

The “traitor” stuff is coming from a few trolls running loose.

faraway on July 5, 2009 at 8:48 PM

TimeTraveler on July 5, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I want my father country back. Prepare to die.

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Buy Danish on July 5, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Since you have been here a while, you will easily spot them as trolls. But I’m sure you knew that already.

faraway on July 5, 2009 at 8:50 PM

atheling on July 5, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Nah. Ed just tries to be professional (i.e. detached) and sometimes he misses things.

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I like Ed and AP. It’s just the Rollins reference that gets on my very last nerve.

eaglesdontflock on July 5, 2009 at 8:54 PM

if I were Sarah Palin I’d be concerned that I had so many unhinged ’supporters’ who call themselves “conservatives” yet think it’s appropriate to call bloggers who provide information and cogent analysis “traitors”

Like it or not, many conservatives are sick to death of RINOs and being told they need to get a bigger tent, etc. and one’s take on Palin is a kind of litmus test. Anyone whose considered opinion of anything she does is to blow her off (as Ed has done here) unleashes their inner pitbull.

disa on July 5, 2009 at 8:55 PM

disa on July 5, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Meh. Palin is that rare commodity. An honest politician.

gh on July 5, 2009 at 8:57 PM

mathscience41 on July 5, 2009 at 6:21 PM

‘Fess up. You’re the TOTUS, right?

disa on July 5, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Meh. Palin is that rare commodity. An honest politician.

I’m even willing to support her if she turns out to be human ;-)

disa on July 5, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Geez, why all the Ed and Allahpundit bashing?

SouthernGent on July 5, 2009 at 8:47 PM

The “traitor” stuff is coming from a few trolls running loose.

faraway on July 5, 2009 at 8:48 PM

We are not trolls you imbecile, AP and Ed have an agenda and clueless buffoons like you are pawns in their game. If they are not traitors why are they regurgitating “rumors” by inferring that “another shoe” was about to drop concerning SP? Real conservative blogs like gateway pundits currently headline a statement by the Alaska FBI saying stories about a pending federal Indictment are false, what then is the difference between HA and DKos. Ed and AP are blogging for Mitt, and that’s ok but be open about it so we know why you run to the defense of Mitt every-time he gets bad press but throw SP under the bus

julian on July 5, 2009 at 9:01 PM

I’m even willing to support her if she turns out to be human ;-)

disa on July 5, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Even if she’s divine ?

gh on July 5, 2009 at 9:01 PM

We cult members need some kind of chant.

faraway on July 5, 2009 at 9:02 PM

First of all, nobody knows why she’s quitting, or why so abruptly. The consideration of a pending scandal is one of the most logical conclusions, whether we like it or not. Remember the state of which she is/was the governor: Alaska. She’s surrounded by corrupt politicians.

Secondly, statements by her lawyer won’t mean much. He could be running interference for all we know. Despite working for Palin, he’s still a lawyer. Their word is always suspect.

I’m a newbie – and I can see this clearly.

atheling on July 5, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I’ve been on this site for a few years now, nearly always daily. I still hold firm against the people who gave AP hell for providing criticism of Palin, particularly when pretty much all of Ed’s posts about her were positive. Given that former fact, it’s revolting to see those same people suddenly lose their marbles once Ed dares to regard her move as something other than wise. Good grief, people. Get a grip! I love her as a candidate, but she’s made mistakes and missteps before. If you’re going to pin the entire future of conservatism, and all your hopes and dreams on one person, you’re not only going to be disappointed(even Reagan did some bad things during his term), you’re going to be afraid to throw real support behind another candidate if she doesn’t make it.

MadisonConservative on July 5, 2009 at 9:02 PM