Video: Matalin thinks Palin is “brilliant” for resigning

posted at 6:30 pm on July 4, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

And now, just to be fair, the other side of the argument. Posted without editorial comment; you already know my opinion as someone who had never written a post critical of Palin before yesterday, and if you don’t, feel free to click on the links in the Top Picks column. Mary Matalin offers this analysis, transcript via Crooks & Liars:

MATALIN: Well, I think it’s really brilliant, with two caveats, one being that there’s nothing else, ala the Sanford fiasco. There’s nothing else that we don’t know. If all that’s there is what we see right now, it’s brilliant.

And, secondly, that she has a plan and people have a plan to put up with the conventional wisdom, chatterati and the political class saying how stupid it is, because it’s brilliant.

On the substance, there’s the key economic issue — I know everyone says — thinks it’s health care, but it’s really energy. And she’s the queen of energy.

And the second big issue for 2012 will be the role of government. And she has a record of reform and ethics reform and making government smaller and reigning in spending — all those issues that are getting increasingly important as Barack Obama expands on his agenda.

So — and her delivery was incredible — a charis — a less charismatic person probably couldn’t pull it off. But as — as already referenced, she will be freed up and liberated in the way Mitt Romney is here to run around and raise money and get political chips by spending it and get political capital. And she is still raising the kinds of crowds and money that she always did.

Follow the link to C&L if you want to hear a rebuttal from David Gergen and Ed Rollins, the latter of whom has been around Republican campaigns for a very long time.

Update: My caveat in the opening paragraph wasn’t about getting “beat up”; I’m a big boy, and I can take honest criticism. It’s correcting the falsehood in the comment strings that I’ve been a Palin-hater. If people actually read what I’ve written about Palin over the past year, nothing could be further from the truth. I’m going to give people my honest opinion, no matter what.

As for using the clip from C&L, er, so what? This segment is from CNN. I couldn’t find it on YouTube or on CNN’s site when I had a few minutes to post. Someone asked me if I would be fair and post Matalin’s defense after our criticism of Palin, and I posted what I could find of it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 22

Ed, I think your 1st couple of sentences shows that you’ve been beat up pretty good.

jgapinoy on July 4, 2009 at 6:34 PM

E P I C

alexraye on July 4, 2009 at 6:36 PM

jgapinoy on July 4, 2009 at 6:34 PM

He should be beat up pretty good, it was well below his usual standards. It was like reading one of his smoking diatribes.

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 6:37 PM

jgapinoy on July 4, 2009 at 6:34 PM
+++++++++++++++++++
And rightfully so. (Don’t even get me started on AP)

fabrexe on July 4, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I think Ed is speaking for the Pawlenty campaign in wishing for another shoe to drop on Palin. Hey Ed, what goes around…

Wishing you independence for Independence Day,

james23 on July 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM

OK, Darth & fabrexe, then why did she quit with no explanation????

jgapinoy on July 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I’m glad that a well known GOP’er is making this kind of statement. Cheney trusted Matalin, so I tend to trust her opinions.

Then again, she married Carville and helped the man reproduce.

myrenovations on July 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Mary is one a few beltway babes who seems to have maintained her ability to see the forest from the trees.

She is a hard core conservative. She’s right.

Palin is ahead of the game and outside the box! Two very good places to be.

katy on July 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM

At least Matalin gets it.

lansing quaker on July 4, 2009 at 6:40 PM

think of what 2 more years of constant Dem hatred and ankle biting would’ve done to her, politically and financially for that matter(the lawsuits).

Its also not feasible really to hold office in AK while running nationally in 2012. Between the ethics complaints the AK dems are filing everytime she leaves the state, to the fact that logistically AK is a long flight away from everything.

jp on July 4, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Hah. So the “Gergen Rule” says she made the right move.

Ponz on July 4, 2009 at 6:41 PM

In re: David Gergen and Ed Rollins…

Both have been around a long time, neither has been particularly successful.

The problem with the Republican Party is the “old boys club”.

I agree with Mary. If there is nothing bad attached to this, it will be a brilliant move.

It’s time to dump the hacks that think that the Times has facts and restore American values and goals.

CrazyGene on July 4, 2009 at 6:42 PM

No thanks, neither one’s opinion matters to me. Gergen’s a tool of the left and Rollins can’t be counted on to go to bat for a conservative anymore.

fogw on July 4, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I suggest everyone read this:

It’s a bit long but it is a very good read.

Luthien on July 4, 2009 at 6:42 PM

“Until the other shoe drops.”

Was that necessary? Are you believing the smears from the left along with AP?

Enoxo on July 4, 2009 at 6:43 PM

No one knows right now if this was a colossal blunder, a complete abdication or a stroke of genius.

The conventional wisdom says she took her ball and went home.

But we love Sarah because she is not conventional.

*sigh*

This is the weekend of our discontent.

If we believe her supporters she’s on her way to the White House. If we believe her haters she’s on her way to Leavenworth.

turfmann on July 4, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Palin was in a game she couldn’t win, so she unexpectedly changed the game to one she cannot lose. Smart move.

Rebar on July 4, 2009 at 6:43 PM

It could very well be brilliant. America is in DESPERATE need of an opposition LEADER — someone with the guts to forcefully oppose Obama and the Democrats — something Republicans have thus far failed to produce.

If she gets out there and says, “Look, I am resigning because what Democrats are doing is destroying this country, and someone has to fight it. A role that would detract from my duties as Governor of Alaksa” then she will become the immediate front-runner.

It all depends on what she does next

American Elephant on July 4, 2009 at 6:44 PM

she’s done politically if she doesn’t run for office between now and 2012, IMO. Unless she becomes a new Rush figure and then say in 2016 decides to run again? after getting filthy rich first.

right now, I think she could have the Senate seat if she wants it in 2010. Perhaps even run in 2012 if Obama is vulnerable

jp on July 4, 2009 at 6:44 PM

jgapinoy on July 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Why don’t you try LISTENING to the clip. Or listen to Sarah’s speech yesterday. Or read the transcript. Or her facebook explanation (posted 3 times to the 2000 hit thread).

If you can’t listen we can’t help you much.

gh on July 4, 2009 at 6:44 PM

You know, I’m really tired of people pointing out what the Republican establishment thinks. As far as I’m concerned, Republican campaigns have been shit for a very long time… pretty much all of them since Reagan retired. Look who we’ve had: Bush I, Dole, Bush II, and McCain. Sure, we won a few of those, but look what we got… Bush I and II were both duds (I will never forgive Bush and the senate/congressional republicans who voted for the bailouts.. they had their chance to take a stand and have some guts, and they blew it).

We need new blood. Newer, younger candidates. Newer, younger GOP leadership. Newer, younger GOP strategists. I’m sick of being fed the same old crap sandwich.

vermillionsky on July 4, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Brilliant? That’s a stretch.

therightwinger on July 4, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Brilliant is Sarah’s middle name.

the_nile on July 4, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Palin’s 4th of July statement:

“For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it’s honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.”

yogi41 on July 4, 2009 at 6:45 PM

And if the GOP keeps following the advice and the paradigms of old has-beens like these, who are too old and ignorant to wipe their own azzes by now, they’ll be on the losing end until they wise the he11 up and get some fresh ideas and concepts. Ed Rollins is a moron. He’s lost more brain cells than Cheech & Chong and everyone who loves their movies combined.

Griz on July 4, 2009 at 6:46 PM

OK, Darth & fabrexe, then why did she quit with no explanation????

jgapinoy on July 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM

What are you – a troll or just ignorant? Read the transacript of her speech. She told you why. If you can’t understand that then there is nothing more she can say or do that will suffice for you.

HalSandro on July 4, 2009 at 6:46 PM

OK, Darth & fabrexe, then why did she quit with no explanation????

jgapinoy on July 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Sarah

Want more.

the_nile on July 4, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Matalin is a smart woman. I don’t know how she came to be with that bald joke.

Anyway, she is right. This is a brilliant move by Sarah that frees her from the reigns of being a governor.

I don’t see Romney getting the attention and support from people like Sarah can.

jencab on July 4, 2009 at 6:46 PM

And we have the queen of stupid popping off once again.

Druge reports.
MAUREEN DOWD TRASHES ‘NUTTY’ PALIN
Sat Jul 04 2009 14:40:36 ET

NY TIMES Op-Ed Queen Maureen Dowd runs out of adjectives and insults while ripping away at Alaska Governor Sarah Palin in an upcoming Sunday column.

Palin is “one nutty puppy”, in the mind of Dowd, newsroom sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT, with “erratic and egoistic behavior”.

Dowd spits her holiday barbecue in 800 words, designed for fireworks.

“Exquisite battiness… solipsistic meltdown so strange… incoherent, breathless and prickly… Sarah’s country-music melodramas… girlish burbling.” Developing…

Texyank on July 4, 2009 at 6:47 PM

HalSandro on July 4, 2009 at 6:46 PM

He’s not a troll. Just seems to have a block today.

gh on July 4, 2009 at 6:47 PM

OK, Darth & fabrexe, then why did she quit with no explanation????

jgapinoy on July 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM

No explanation? Did you even watch the speech? I didn’t, but I read the transcript and the explanation was perfectly visible, legible and reasonable: frivolous lawsuits are wasting her time and money and the state’s time and money so she figured it would be better for both herself, her family and Alaska if she left. Ed completely ignores this and goes on some bizarre rant about lame ducks.

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Palin brought up “lame ducks” in yesterday’s speech.

gh on July 4, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I think Palin’s comments today on her facebook page helped a little in reassuring us that it’s not her running away and that there isn’t some bombshell getting ready to spread across the media like wildfire.

As I thought about it more today, I settled on the position that she was in an untenable position in Alaska. She had to make a move because of what they were doing to her. She didn’t quit on the people of Alaska. The liberal attack machine forced her to resign or face round after round of ethics complaints on everything from her breakfast to her choice of eyeliner. It would probably bankrupt her and her family, which is a situation she wasn’t about to let happen. So they forced her to do the one thing she could do – walk away after giving the reigns to her Lt Gov.

I think some commentor said it best. She didn’t step back from politics. She stepped sideways to take another tack. Her comments about basketball and Gen. Mac were telling in that.

It’s risky and if it were anyone but her, they’d be done. But I think she’ll smile off the quitter crap and just start the march towards 2012.

I told my father this over and over after the ’08 election. The republican party is lost in the woods. Conservatives are desperate for someone – anyone to step up and lead this party. We thought Steele might do it but he’s been a joke. I think maybe Sarah realized she has a incredible chance at making history and that the “fly over people” are ready, willing and able to bring about “real” change in this country.

I think – I hope – I pray we have found our General. And she’s a smart, sassy, good looking mother of five who isn’t afraid of bears, let alone the elitist liberal machine ruining this country.

Thunderstorm129 on July 4, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Palin brought up “lame ducks” in yesterday’s speech.

gh on July 4, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I know. So?

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Exactly. Alaska can wait. If the US goes, so goes Alaska.

I think she senses an emergency here. She may have served out her term if Obama had paced himself like normal Presidents do with their agendas.

I think she waited to see if anyone was emerging to stop this train wreck and realised she had to do it and do is fast.

katy on July 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Thunderstorm129 on July 4, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I think she saw no-one else stepping up and is ready to either step up herself or kick ass in whatever way is appropriate.

gh on July 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM

bottom line is that she is being called away from Alaska politics and to some sort of National Role. Whether a female Rush type figure or something else.

She couldn’t govern in AK, and the Dems up there had a way to make her not that popular in AK any longer with all the constant ankle biting and the narrative of her not looking out for Alaska’s best interest but her own. Which would only accelerate with each passing lower 48 trip/speech engagement she was called to do.

jp on July 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Her resignation vindicates the reasoning of all the independents who voted for Obama as a protest against her, and of all the independents who just plain stayed home (like I did). To her supporters, oddly but not unexpectedly, it redoubles their belief that she is the New Conservative Messiah. On them both hops and malt are wasted.

hicsuget on July 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I know. So?

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 6:50 PM

So Ed’s “rant” is not entirely out of context.

gh on July 4, 2009 at 6:52 PM

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Sarah

I think we can all guess where she’s going.

darwin on July 4, 2009 at 6:52 PM

If i’d want Crooks & Liars content, i’d go to Crooks & Liars.

Why is Ed so unconfident of his own opinions that he has to copy content off unhinged moonbat blogs? That seems pathological.

Aristotle on July 4, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I still say we take British Columbia and form a new republic from Alaska cutting through the Midwest and Texas and most of the South east.

Declaration of Inpdendence part 2…Sarah Palin as our leader ;)

jp on July 4, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Thanks Ed!

Even when I disagree I still like you. Even if you are a damn yankee :-)

Did you see this article from the Daily Beast that AnnieCA linked to in the Ferraro post?

conservnut on July 4, 2009 at 6:53 PM

vermillionsky on July 4, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Palin/Rubio

Stranger things have happened… right?

Like…. Obama/Biden …

katy on July 4, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Mary Matalin

Campaigned on Lieutenant Governor Dave O’Neal’s bid for the U.S. Senate in 1980

Joined RNC after the campaign for 20 years as a key Republican strategist.

Chief of Staff to RNC co-chair in 1985

1986 Joined GHWB election campaign, working as both Deputy Political Director and Midwest Regional Political Director in the primaries.

Then of course her time with W and Cheney. I believe this gives her a LITTLE cred. I think.

broker1 on July 4, 2009 at 6:54 PM

I said yesterday, and will say it again today: If Sarah Palin steps up and goes to bat for Conservatives, she will be the political version of General Petraeus.

Palin doesn’t fight the way the old guard does. She looks at the situation, sees what needs to be done, and does it. She’s all about winning the hearts and minds of the locals, rather than bribing the village elders to get along.

I’m quite looking forward to a Palin presidency. She’s the leader we need.

Now, more than ever.

respects,

AW1 Tim on July 4, 2009 at 6:54 PM

no indpendents voted for Obama b/c of Palin, that is absurd regardless of what they claim. They would’ve voted for Obama no matter what

jp on July 4, 2009 at 6:55 PM

So Ed’s “rant” is not entirely out of context.

gh on July 4, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I didn’t say it was out of context. I said it was bizarre, by which I mean he showed no comprehension of what she was saying whatsoever.

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Gergen and Rollins still fail to realize these are very different times,..we are in uncharted waters with Barry and no checks and balances on him in Congress. Voters aren’t going to react in ways they have in the past. Matalin is able to see around the next curve in the road. By this time next year a lot more people are going to be looking at what has been done to them with horror. If the GOP had been tending it’s garden properly, the Palin effect might be more muted, but she’s the only game in town now. She may not have Jindal’s wonk creds, but she has the flash and pizazz, plus has demonstrated courage in taking on the corrupt GOP in AK. She’ll pull from both parties,..and I’m still not convinced she is even aiming for the presidency. I think she wants to tear down some castles first.

a capella on July 4, 2009 at 6:56 PM

I really hope Ed’s feelings didn’t get hurt. Surely he is not playing the “damsel in distress” as he claimed Palin was during the Lettermen fiasco. Please tell me he is not that sensitive? If you can’t take the heat get the hell out of the kitchen. Right? As to whether this is a briliant move or political suicide is anyone’s guess. We all have our opinions, and even those will certainly change as this plays out. At first look it does look like a big defeat for Palin and her future on the national stage. However, in three years this whole situation could look much different. Patience is a virtue.

chief on July 4, 2009 at 6:57 PM

jp on July 4, 2009 at 6:53 PM

It’s Alberta you want. Not B.C. However, if you’re willing to take B.C. then take everything up to and including Ontario and send the draft-dodgers back to CA and NY.

gh on July 4, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Yeah, losing them, mostly.

Ed, you’re such a party punk.

Fletch54 on July 4, 2009 at 6:58 PM

jp on July 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM

It’s worse , rinos are fighting her to.

the_nile on July 4, 2009 at 6:58 PM

he showed no comprehension

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Not the first time. But he means well and is usually fairly insightful. So I say forgive him his blindness here. She still has to prove herself and he’ll be on-side when she does.

gh on July 4, 2009 at 6:59 PM

conservnut on July 4, 2009 at 6:53 PM

That article is a crock of BS hearsay crapolla. No facts, just “I heard that..” and “It is rumored that…” etc.

AW1 Tim on July 4, 2009 at 7:00 PM

She’s toast. No one outside the palinistas will vote for someone who up’d and quit their last job.

keep the change on July 4, 2009 at 7:01 PM

trolls again … ignore …

gh on July 4, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Yes, Ed Rollins…who managed the campaigns of Michael Huffington, Ross Perot, and Mike Huckabee (Palin’s possible rival in 2012).

Time will tell if Palin’s move was the right one. But I lost respect for Rollins years ago.

sulla on July 4, 2009 at 7:05 PM

keep the change on July 4, 2009 at 7:01 PM

You mean like Hillary?

darwin on July 4, 2009 at 7:05 PM

jp on July 4, 2009 at 6:55 PM

The beauty of categorical statements such as this one is the ease with which they are refuted–by simply producing 1 independent who did so, I can refute your risible statement.

All of my Democrat friends were going to vote for McCain until he picked Palin. Once that announcement was made, however, one of them went so far as to volunteer for Obama.

Palin was anathema to young, intelligent, educated professionals–even to those who, all else being equal, prefer small government. Fortunately for the GOP ticket in 2012, she will be a political non-entity by then.

hicsuget on July 4, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I like Mary, but this was not “brilliant”. Palin’s explanations made no sense whatsoever. If it was about her family and kids and disgust with the viciousness of the politics of personal destruction (which would have been a perfectly reasonable reason to quit, considering how they have been persecuted) then she could have left it at that. But she didn’t, and instead presented an incoherent, bizarre, resignation speech.

Anyhoo, I wonder why memorandum has a link to the “White House Blog” as part of the “discussion” on this story:

Ed Morrissey / Hot Air: Video: Matalin thinks Palin is “brilliant” for resigning
Jesse Lee / WhiteHouse.gov Blog: Weekly Address: On the 4th of July, Overcoming America?s Challenges

Buy Danish on July 4, 2009 at 7:07 PM

trolls again … ignore …

gh on July 4, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Oh I will!

conservnut on July 4, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Sarah Palin is resigning as the Governor of Alaska. I know who is going to miss her the most, the left leaning Mainstream Media. Who will they use for a Punching Bag Now? No more PDS, Palin Derangement Syndrome, to try and bolster their lousy ratings, and dismal newspaper subscriptions . When many of her detractors, go on one of their many irrational rants, about the soon to be late Governor of Alaska. They can expect the response to be: So What, and Who Cares? Sarah Palin isn’t part of the Government anymore, she will be a private citizen. The Easiest Way to Win At Tug of War.

Dr Evil on July 4, 2009 at 7:08 PM

You mean like Hillary?

darwin on July 4, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Don’t bring Hillary into this. HillDog Dems are probably some of the first people who will join the Sarah Train.

lansing quaker on July 4, 2009 at 7:09 PM

gh on July 4, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Considering how few good people we have on our side Ed’s “mistake” is really crippling. We don’t need this kind of betrayal from our side.

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 7:09 PM

“as someone who had never written a post critical of Palin before yesterday”

Past justification for present conduct. And Sanford never crossed “that line” before this time either.

Ed has, like Allah before him, succumbed to pride. It will be the undoing of the Republican party.

For more humble and trustworthy analysis, see the Green Room.

Ed, pride is a hard task master. “You will not die… you will be like God….”

dtestard on July 4, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Andy Levy posited this to AP:

“andylevy@allahpundit If it’s in Alaska’s best interest that Palin not be governor, how is it in the country’s best interest that she be president?”

sluhser589 on July 4, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Sounds like people are praying on their knees for a scandal, but remember the media has been all over this woman with a microscope.

clnurnberg on July 4, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Andy Levy posited this to AP:

sluhser589 on July 4, 2009 at 7:13 PM

I think the answer to that is self-explanatory. Two different situations.

Thunderstorm129 on July 4, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I have never read a more self serving, ridiculous straw man argument to try and support a more ridiculous argument in my life.

As soon as someone throws out cr*p like this you know the premise was false as well. They even went to WORK for Obama!

Hey I will give you this, at least you didn’t say they left the McCain Campaign in order to go work for Obama.

Zogbys poll in August directly after her selection had 52% of the those polled believing she would help his campaign and only 29% thinking it would hurt. So the facts say you are wrong on all aspects.

Oh and btw, I have 10,000 DEMOCRATIC friends that went to work for McCain after her selection. You believe me don’t you? Well don’t you??

broker1 on July 4, 2009 at 7:15 PM

hear a rebuttal from David Gergen and Ed Rollins,

Pffff!! Hear comment from these two clowns? One’s a phony conservative, the other ran Ross Perot’s failed campaign bid, which solidified Clinton’s win.

Richard Romano on July 4, 2009 at 7:17 PM

jgapinoy on July 4, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Even KHammer disagrees with Ed.

Amadeus on July 4, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Worse, it was like reading an Allah post…*SHUDDER*

SuperCool on July 4, 2009 at 7:19 PM

I’m too lazy to google it. Has any other governor/senator/rep resigned from office part-way through term for the express reason of running for a higher office? If it’s happened before, lots of people need to STHU.

splink on July 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM

The only person who comes to mind immeditely is Bob Dole resigning from the Senate. I have ben asking myself the same thing, although I don’t think it matters much whether there is precedent or not.

Red State State of Mind on July 4, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Richard Romano on July 4, 2009 at 7:17 PM

It’s similar to Obama claiming he can run the country because he can run a presidential campaign. Or ivy league graduates who think that merely graduating from a prestigious school means you deserve prestige. Ed of course laps it all up just like the left does.

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Ed Morrisey (along with Jonah Goldberg) officially joined the Frum/Noonan/Parker/Brooks wing of the party yesterday.

Enough said.

kevinkristy on July 4, 2009 at 7:21 PM

You’re clearly as ignorant on matters of statistics as you are on matters of VP choices. The fact you cite does not contradict me one whit–the young, intelligent, educated professional demographic could fit quite neatly into that 29% while leaving plenty of room to spare.

hicsuget on July 4, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Do not be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good morals.”

dtestard on July 4, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Enough said.

kevinkristy on July 4, 2009 at 7:21 PM

That wing, of course, being the Don’t-Get-Blinded-By-The-Charisma-of-a-Messianic-Figure Wing.

hicsuget on July 4, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Enoxo on July 4, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Read the quote. Matalin, who is an unquestionable your pillar of truth inasmuch as she praises Palin, apparently believes the smears from the left. Is she a brilliant strategist, or a traitor to conservatism?

Dead Hand Control on July 4, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Three things are certain: First, she now has hands-on experience to base a more shrewd campaign – better judgment in PR, etc. Second, she has a role model in how to mount a PERFECT campaign in BHO. Third, she will be UNDERESTIMATED.

We OVER-ESTIMATED McCain’s shrewdness. Palin has demonstrated precious little in political savvy, but I suspect there is some there that can be augmented with a little friendly guidance.

Frankly, I don’t believe she’s up to it. It’s wishful thinking. Nevertheless, that’s all I’ve got nowadays. We are wandering aimlessly in the desert..

Quetzal on July 4, 2009 at 7:27 PM

the young, intelligent, educated professional self centered, depraved demographic could fit quite neatly into that 29% while leaving plenty of room to spare.

hicsuget on July 4, 2009 at 7:22 PM

FIFY.

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Her resignation – especially as impromptu as it seems that it was – still disturbs me.

However – I hold Mary Matalin in very high regard; her opinions have always seemed based upon fact, rather than emotion. (Plus, she’s married to Skeletor, and hasn’t killed him yet.) So, I’m prepared to wait and see.

uncivilized on July 4, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Enough said.

kevinkristy on July 4, 2009 at 7:21 PM

How is being critical of an objectively squirrely decision the equivalent of RINOism. You hard core Palinistas are as bad as any Obamabot. How about instead you say “Ed, I understand your perspective, this is mine?” instead of all the hyper sensitive silliness? Civility FTW.

sluhser589 on July 4, 2009 at 7:28 PM

hicsuget on July 4, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Again, your statement makes absolutely no sense. But I will use your dis-functional, juvenile, self serving argument to support my argument.

“I graduated from Harvard with a statistics degree so I know what I’m talking about!!111!!”

Enough, stop it you petulant child. I get it, you and your dungeon and dragons friends never liked Palin. Obama won and your just fine with that. Time to move out of the basement.

broker1 on July 4, 2009 at 7:30 PM

sluhser589 on July 4, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Because it’s not objectively squirrely (only one opinion can be considered objective, and that’s mine). Ed’s hit piece yesterday showed no sign of thought or comprehension of any kind of Palin’s resignation and her motives.

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 7:31 PM

broker1 on July 4, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Hey, don’t drag D&D into this.

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Do not fool yourself. The left is still afraid of her power and is still campaigning against her. They like to campaign against pink unicorns also.

seven on July 4, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Dr Evil on July 4, 2009 at 7:08 PM

No way is the MSM going to lay off of Palin now. They’ll be after her as long as she remains involved in politics in any way, shape or form.

JA on July 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM

“splink on July 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM”

off the top of my head — b. dole, 1996 …

Buckaroo on July 4, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Wow … Palin about to fight back?

To the extent several websites, most notably liberal Alaska blogger Shannyn Moore, are now claiming as “fact” that Governor Palin resigned because she is “under federal investigation” for embezzlement or other criminal wrongdoing, we will be exploring legal options this week to address such defamation. This is to provide notice to Ms. Moore, and those who re-publish the defamation, such as Huffington Post, MSNBC, the New York Times and The Washington Post, that the Palins will not allow them to propagate defamatory material without answering to this in a court of law.

darwin on July 4, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Resigning in the middle of your first term of a higher office with the intention of that decision increasing your chances on the public stage is objectively “off” just like betting on a single number in roulette is “off.” Its a gamble that may pay off but the odds are stacked against her. Saying she is foolish for going against the odds is not something to be critical of.

sluhser589 on July 4, 2009 at 7:36 PM

JA on July 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM

They’ll be after her as long as she remains conservative. Make an example of her to all the plebes who are getting too uppity for their taste.

Darth Executor on July 4, 2009 at 7:36 PM

From Palin’s statement:

We were purchased as a territory because a member of President Abe Lincoln’s cabinet, William Seward, providentially saw in this great land, vast riches, beauty, strategic placement on the globe, and opportunity. He boldly looked “North to the Future”.

Yep,,, If you want to see the future,,, look boldly north!
We are not used to boldness and courage from a Republican.
If she wanted out of politics,,, she could’ve just said “I’m through!”
She didn’t. She’s acting and doing the kinds of things we are not used to. She is unpredictable.
I think she will be a real pain in the butt for the libs. She is suppose to be buckling under all the pressure they have thrown at her,,, instead she is moving offensively and doing the unexpected.
Sarah 2012!

JellyToast on July 4, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Palin/Jindel 2012

Karl Rove – Chief Campaign Strategist
Charles Krauthammer – Speech Writer
Mary Matalin – Press Secretary

who else?

I know, I know…I can sit and wonder though, can’t I?

Thunderstorm129 on July 4, 2009 at 7:37 PM