Video: Matalin thinks Palin is “brilliant” for resigning

posted at 6:30 pm on July 4, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

And now, just to be fair, the other side of the argument. Posted without editorial comment; you already know my opinion as someone who had never written a post critical of Palin before yesterday, and if you don’t, feel free to click on the links in the Top Picks column. Mary Matalin offers this analysis, transcript via Crooks & Liars:

MATALIN: Well, I think it’s really brilliant, with two caveats, one being that there’s nothing else, ala the Sanford fiasco. There’s nothing else that we don’t know. If all that’s there is what we see right now, it’s brilliant.

And, secondly, that she has a plan and people have a plan to put up with the conventional wisdom, chatterati and the political class saying how stupid it is, because it’s brilliant.

On the substance, there’s the key economic issue — I know everyone says — thinks it’s health care, but it’s really energy. And she’s the queen of energy.

And the second big issue for 2012 will be the role of government. And she has a record of reform and ethics reform and making government smaller and reigning in spending — all those issues that are getting increasingly important as Barack Obama expands on his agenda.

So — and her delivery was incredible — a charis — a less charismatic person probably couldn’t pull it off. But as — as already referenced, she will be freed up and liberated in the way Mitt Romney is here to run around and raise money and get political chips by spending it and get political capital. And she is still raising the kinds of crowds and money that she always did.

Follow the link to C&L if you want to hear a rebuttal from David Gergen and Ed Rollins, the latter of whom has been around Republican campaigns for a very long time.

Update: My caveat in the opening paragraph wasn’t about getting “beat up”; I’m a big boy, and I can take honest criticism. It’s correcting the falsehood in the comment strings that I’ve been a Palin-hater. If people actually read what I’ve written about Palin over the past year, nothing could be further from the truth. I’m going to give people my honest opinion, no matter what.

As for using the clip from C&L, er, so what? This segment is from CNN. I couldn’t find it on YouTube or on CNN’s site when I had a few minutes to post. Someone asked me if I would be fair and post Matalin’s defense after our criticism of Palin, and I posted what I could find of it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 20 21 22

Meant to add the link to the transcript released by Gov. Palin’s office:

Is it standard practice to capitalize words for emphasis in a transcript? Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate that her office spiced it up a little with exclamation points and unnecessary capitalization, it just seemed kind of odd.

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Disagree if that’s what you think is right, but only a butcher wields a knife indiscriminately.

justincase on July 6, 2009 at 12:12 PM

So he just sits by and lets the others “cut the meat”, and he will walk in to pick over the carcass.
He isn’t the “sweet” guy you think he is…

right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 1:03 PM

You guys take potshots at Palin, but when asked to back them up you run and hide…but whine when someone attacks you.
So maybe the best thing to do is to think before posting your lies.
What I have shown, is that wholesale character assassinations hurt, and these I made were minor, compared to what Palin endured. Yet you are already whining like a little liberal.
Next time think before you post…you attack someone without any proof, and then be prepared to be blasted.
Palin has basically said, enough is enough “I am not going to take it anymore”.
…and you proved the point of why, in just a couple of posts.
Now hang your head in shame…

right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 1:00 PM

An apt summation of the MO of the Palin bashers. They call her a “quitter” and “whiner” for defending and evading the ferocious attacks on her children and herself, yet they whine and cry themselves when they are called to the carpet for their superficial and ignorant stance.

They complain that Palin can’t take criticism, yet they scream when they are criticized.

What a joke.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I said hello, Mitty,……well, hello, Mitty
Its so nice to have you back where you belong
Youre lookin swell, Mitty…….i can tell, Mitty
Youre still glowin…youre still crowin…youre still goin strong
I feel the party swayin……while the media is playin
One of its favorite memes from way back when
So….. take his coat, fellas…….find him a microphone, fellas
Mittyll never go away again

(instrumental break)

I said hello, Mitty,…..well, hello, Mitty
Its so nice to have you back where you belong
Youre lookin swell, Mitty…..i can tell, Mitty
Youre still glowin…youre still crowin…youre still goin strong
I feel the party swayin…while the media keeps on playin
One of its favourite memes from way back when
So…golly, gee, fellas….find Mitt an empty microphone, fellas
Mittyll never go away….i said Mitty’ll never go away
Mittyll never go away again

Mr. Joe on July 6, 2009 at 1:05 PM

When we are winsome and protect the dignity of others we gain their respect. We need more of that.

justincase on July 6, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Tell that to the purported conservatives who are constantly sniping at Palin

atheling at 12:48
<<<
Yes. That goes for them too. It also goes for those (mostly the same people) who deride the “birthers” without checking out their evidence.

justincase on July 6, 2009 at 1:09 PM

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 1:01 PM

I agree. I don’t like the formatting either.

Now, how about the content? Anything to say about that? Learn anything?

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Odd.

Gov. Palin’s site has the transcript too, and it does not have the same formatting.

Wonder if it was tampered to look that way?

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:15 PM

justincase on July 6, 2009

For fear of being labled a “birther” I have not waded into those waters. But doesn’t it seem odd that Ogabe would work so hard to hide information which, if revealed, would put an end to most, if not all, of those questions? Of course, it could be just another Ogabe sleight-of-hand to get some people to focus on his left hand while his right hand is picking our pockets and whiting-out the constitution.

SKYFOX on July 6, 2009 at 1:18 PM

right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I’m not sure who “he” is – if you’re still talking about Mitt. I don’t know what Mitt has done. That’s what I was discussing with Maverick Muse. But yeah, it would be disappointing if a person didn’t defend an innocent person from the crap that Palin’s had slung at her. I just wish there was a better way for us TO defend the innocent. The strikes involving Trig especially were lower than slime.

But what I meant was what each one of us does. We can build alliances, or we can poison the well. We want people to be reasonable with us and not automatically sneer at us. When they do it makes hatred, even though we agree on most things. For the sake of the country we need to correct bad behavior without tearing people down. We need those alliances. We need to let the personal flames get out of the way because there’s too much at stake.

justincase on July 6, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Now, how about the content? Anything to say about that? Learn anything?

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Yeah, she needs to fire her speechwriter.

Hotair ate my response to your previous post (too many links in a short amount of time, I think) – She’s expected to make 7-11 million dollars on her upcoming book (due to be released in 2010. I don’t think finances are really an issue.

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM

While you patently ignore my substantive posts, as opposed to your ignorant one liners.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Substantive posts like your simple assertion that having quit her first term will not create any obstacles in a 2012 bid?

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM

SKYFOX on July 6, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I can understand that because I’ve been on the receiving end of the derision. People choose their battles. If people don’t want the label, fine. But they don’t have to jump on the bandwagon of mocking those of us who have a lot of evidence that nobody will seriously look at.

It plays into the Alinsky model we all say we hate so much.

justincase on July 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Wonder if it was tampered to look that way?
atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Like I said, some Palin supporters are loony.

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Like I said, some Palin supporters are loony.

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Did you actually look at the two links?

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:28 PM

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Well you “think” wrong. Go back and do some research. I’m tired of doing it for those of you who are wilfully obtuse.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:29 PM

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:15 PM

The WSJ (and a few other newspapers) committed a serious breach of journalistic ethics if it was.

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 1:30 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Thank you for proving my point that you CINOs are lying.

I never made that assertion. If you take the time to go back and read the history of my comments, you might learn something instead of making stupid, ignorant one liners because you’re too arrogant to go outside the box.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:30 PM

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Yeah, and that could NEVER happen, could it?

Tell that to Buy Danish who didn’t even bother looking and immediately called me a loon.

And you CINOs pretend that you’re the ones being attacked and falsely labeled?

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:31 PM

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 1:01 PM

When I transcribed job interviews we were supposed to put (emphasized) to show when a person stressed a word or words. But that would be weird to put in an official document. The point is to make clear what they said, including non-verbals.

And actually it’s not a far-flung suggestion that a transcriptionist or editor could try to make the speaker look bad. Happened at Fox News several times during the campaign. If I had done what their transcriptionist had done I would have been immediately fired.

justincase on July 6, 2009 at 1:33 PM

justincase on July 6, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Tell that to Buy Danish, who didn’t bother looking at the links, and called me a “loon” for bringing up the possibility, which has precedents.

And then they expect us to be “civil” and “fair”? With arrogance and wilfull blindness such as theirs, why should we play by the rules when they don’t?

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:34 PM

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:29 PM

“Todd and I are looking at more than half a million dollars in legal bills in order to set the record straight.”

Assuming Harper-Collins wouldn’t advance them enough to stave off bankruptcy (or that her lawyers wouldn’t give her a year to pay the bills off with interest), she isn’t even saying that she’s in danger of financial ruin if she stays in the governor’s office.

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Interesting that you use Obamanomics to substantiate your position. Sigh. I guess I have to repeat myself again and again:

She hasn’t written the book yet. To base your financial future on that which has yet been produced or sold is unsound, isn’t it? Ever hear of counting chickens before they’re hatched?

Second, she and her husband make about $250,000 a year. In nine months they have accrued over $500,000 in legal fees, with no end in sight so long as she remains a public official. She cannot fight back, she cannot garner enough donations (limited to $150.00 per person because of her office) to pay it off.

Third, she said she is a “lame duck” governor if she remains in office, which would obstruct the goals she set for Alaska’s future, i.e., gas pipeline deal she brokered. By putting her Lt. Gov in position of incumbent, she sets up a Palinite pol to finish the job she started.

Sigh. If you had done a little research yourself, you might have had those facts instead of relying on me to do the heavy lifting AGAIN.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM

justincase on July 6, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I didn’t know about the Fox News thing. I still think it’s unlikely for a couple of reasons. The WSJ included a pretty specific header:

“Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s office released this transcript of her resignation announcement (emphasis mine).”

I’ve also seen the same transcript with the same emphasis on a couple of different newspaper’s websites (although it’s possible they all used the same compromised source).

Finally, it just seems like something she would do. I could see her going through the transcript and trying to make it a little perkier.

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 1:46 PM

or that her lawyers wouldn’t give her a year to pay the bills off with interest

You’re joking, right? How can you pay off $500,000 with interest when you make only $250,000 a year at the most?

Hello? Do you know anything about economics? Or lawyers, for that matter? How unrealistic can you be?

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:47 PM

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Your last paragraph makes no sense except for the fact that you’re a Palin basher, so you seek the worst.

Why do you ignore the link I provided from her SITE, which has no such “perkiness”? Isn’t it strange that she would release such a “perky” transcription to the press, yet omit such “perkiness” from her own site?

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:49 PM

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I disagree with your depiction of finance. I’m think Palin’s lawyers have structured a payment plan that takes into account her long term financial prospects as well as her potential as a future client. I’d just be repeating myself if I argued it further, so I’ll leave it at that.

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 1:57 PM

You omit the fact that if she remained as Governor, those anklebiting lawsuits would continue, and her legal fees would continue to grow.

Why do you fail to think about that?

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Did you actually look at the two links?
atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:28 PM

The exact same version the W.S.J. used is available at many websites, all of whom say they got it from her office.

I conclude that Palin’s office changed their website, and replaced the version with emphasized words that she used a guide for her speech, with the version without emphasis. Her office should have posted the version that’s there now in the first place.

Either that or the W.S.J and hundreds of media orgs conspired to emphasize the exact same words in an effort to discredit her – a theory which requires a tin foil hat to believe.

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Yes, because the media would never do anything to discredit her.

You’d need a tinfoil cap to believe that.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:02 PM

…a good and righteous mother, protects her children first.
She is a mother first, politician second…now that she will be a “citizen” let’s see them backup their vile attacks on her family.
right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Thank you for your comments. You’ve just shown the main problem with feminism. Feminists want “equality” and “sameness”, yet, when the going gets tough for women, they play the “oh, she’s a mother first” card. And when this card is played, it’s commonly during times when people’s lives or governments are threatened. You can’t have it both ways. Women wanted to be Soldiers. Fine, except when they get pregnant a month before deploying (as has happened in one of my previous units), and we couldn’t do anything about it, to include replace them, because that would be seen as a “negative action” taken against those women. Sometimes, guess what, I have to deploy, which obviously isn’t in the best interests of my family, but that’s because I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, which, at times, takes precedence over the needs of my family. This principle applies to elected officials.
If you claim that she’s a “mother first”, then she should have kept that in mind before entering politics in the first place.

Send_Me on July 6, 2009 at 2:04 PM

What a joke.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Thanks for “getting it”…notice how they have quieted down since caught in their own trap.

right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Why do you fail to think about that?

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Mostly because Palin barely mentioned it. It’s impossible to tell from her speech how big a problem it is for her. That’s the sort of thing she should elaborate. The fact that she doesn’t bother makes me suspect she deliberately said just enough to let her supporters’ imaginations run wild.

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM

right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Except for Buy Danish. So far, she calls me a “loon” and says I wear a “tin foil hat”, while she bends over backwards to protect the media, claiming that they would NEVER do anything to discredit Palin.

It’s funny, actually, that a person who purports to be a conservative would actually take the side of the left when it comes to destroying Palin, just as Morrissey did.

I’m listening to Rush’s show (he’s on vacation now and Mark Belling (sp?) is hosting) and he said the same thing: that there are some so called “conservatives” who are stooping to the same level of the Left in order to destroy Palin.

It makes me even want to dump the GOP more. Let the CINOs and RINO’s wallow in an irrelevant, shrunken party while we true conservatives back a true conservative.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM

RightOFLeft on July 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Oh right, because there is no other information about the situation except her speech *eye roll*

You are lazy.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Correction:

I see that some websites cite different sources for the emphasized version of the speech.

Some cite the Anchorage Daily News, who may have used the video to create the transcript (although one would think that Palin’s office would have sent out a transcript to the media). I don’t know if they did – I’m speculating there.

Some (like TPM and The Miami Herald) cite Palin’s office as the source, and that version has the same emphasis the ADN used.

The Chicago Sun Times cites “The Federal News Service” as their source, but their version does not contain the emphasized words.

But if this is a concern, it still goes back to Palin’s office who should have released a transcript to the news media.

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Thanks for the correction. An apology for the name calling would make you look like a bigger person.

No chance of that, huh?

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Yes, because the media would never do anything to discredit her.
You’d need a tinfoil cap to believe that.
atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:02 PM

For it to be a conspiracy all the outlets who used emphasized words would have to have gotten together and agreed to use that version with the intent of discrediting her. That requires a Tin Foil Hat.

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Weren’t you just released from the child predator list? Have you ever thought about abusing s child…not saying you have but have you ever, ever thought about it?
right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 10:54 AM

For your edification:
ad hom•i•nem (hŏm’ə-něm’, -nəm) adj. Appealing to personal considerations rather than to logic or reason

Send_Me on July 6, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Or, that one actually emphasized the words, and the others lazily took it without question. Seems like there’s been precedents for that, hasn’t there?

But then that would require a less rigid thinker to entertain that possibility, wouldn’t it? A less arrogant and superficial one, too, wouldn’t it?

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Thank you for proving my point that you CINOs are lying.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I must have missed something. What are you calling me? I haven’t seen the CINO acronym before.

I have read virtually all of this thread. I spent hours reading it yesterday before I started posting on it last night. I do believe that you made just that assertion in the comment I was responding to, but I’ll got back and check.

I’m sure you’re not open to advice, but I’ll offer it anyway. You sound like a hysterical loon from DailyKos. You are jumping all over people who like and support Sarah Palin for the “crime” of not thinking that her farts smell like roses. I’d say think about that, but the tenor of your posts suggests to me that you would take any well meaning criticism of you the same way you respond to any of Palin.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Send_Me on July 6, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Let me give you an example for you….you are about to leave on duty, and your wife and kids, have a major accident, almost sure death, and you have to be there by ther bedside, all this happens in moments…do you miss your flight to be on duty, or do you take your chance and stay with your family.
See you don’t want to play the “daddy or husband” card…no one knew what attack she would receive, it has never been done before.
Calling children whores, useless, having your 14 year old attacked on national TV, and then your 18 year old by major spokespeople….it has never happened like this before.
This isn’t about “feminism”, because you are limited in your thought, that is what you pigeonholed this as.
This is a parent protecting, and defending the very core, the essence of their family values. It’s a father who cannot attack back after some goofball called his daughter a whore…of course you would accept that, the “man” you are. This is noted journalists stating that your child is useless, being dragged around, is a “retard”, this is a national tv host saying “Did you thing David was going to thrown their daughter on his table and f*ck her”, her 14 year old and 20 year old hear that about their sister…but you as a dad would think that is cool.
A 14 year old now knows that her sister is a whore, mother is a whore, mother is stupid, father is ignorant, baby brother is useless, and she is pegged to be raped…and you as a father would continue business as usual.
Well maybe this “feminist” is more of “man” then you, she isn’t going to let a job stand in the way of protecting her family….no this isn’t “feminism” this is parenting, a process you seem not to grasp.
I pity your daughter if you have any…you are a wimp…

right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 2:19 PM

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM

That would require them collectively lying when they stated that they got the transcript from Governor Palin’s office.

If Palin wants to control the message and stop this sort of speculation it’s her responsibility to get the correct transcript out to the media in the first place.

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM

For your edification:

Send_Me on July 6, 2009 at 2:16 PM

For your edification:

I was making a point, Palin attackers have no problem stating that she can’t take the heat…yet I make just a couple of posts and you begin whining.
I guess you didn’t catch that…
For your edification, look at 2a:

anal·o·gy
Pronunciation:
\ə-ˈna-lə-jē\
Function:
noun
1: inference that if two or more things agree with one another in some respects they will probably agree in others
2 a: resemblance in some particulars between things otherwise unlike : similarity

right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 2:25 PM

The picture of civility…

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 12:10 PM
Aww, whining are we? Stop making yourself a victim.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 12:34 PM

I wasn’t. I was pointing out your hypocrisy. Self-reflective much?

Oh BTW, I take back what I said about you not thinking that her resignation in the midst of her first term will harm her prospects should she choose to run in 2012. I don’t know whether you have said that or not.

But it is very clear from your postage in this thread that you aren’t in the least concerned about it.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Sorry – the Miami Herald used the ADN version. The WSJ and TPM used a version with emphasis they say they got from Palin.

Either way I stand by my assertion that it is up to Palin to control the message.

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 2:26 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 2:19 PM

More lies. I never jumped on anyone for mere criticism of Palin. I jumped on the superficial, kneejerk, ignorant attempts at “analysis” they offered.

Big difference. But then, logic never got in the way of the arrogant good ole boy network when protecting their bruised egos.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:28 PM

You people are chattering like a bunch of blue jays. The facts are pretty plain. Increasing legal bills because of totally insane ethics complaints, her kids getting trashed for no reason and inability to do her job properly because of all the distractions. I doubt if she has decided exactly how to proceed from here but I personally hope she decides to be the next president.

duff65 on July 6, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM

But you just stated that some of them claimed to have gotten the transcript from other sources.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:30 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Neither is Sarah Palin. She puts her country first. She said, “If I die politicall, I die”.

If you actually did what you claimed, which I doubt, you would have read that I said she will spend her time being “kingmaker” for 2010. That much is clear to me.

I don’t know about 2012, nor did I speculate on it, since it’s uncertain.

Once more, your obfuscations and false assumptions are exposed.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:32 PM

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:28 PM

And you accused those of offering analysis you considered to ‘superficial’, ‘kneejerk’ and ‘ignorant’ of being UNCIVIL.

You don’t like the analysis, fine. Argue your case. Calling its conveyors uncivil is not an argument.

Even Karl Rove has questioned the wisdom of this move. Are you going to say he’s ‘superficial’, ‘kneejerk’, and ‘ignorant’?

You can’t conclude someone is a chess master merely because they make a not transparent (opening?) move. They’re only a master if their moves lead them to win. Nobody even knows what Palin’s goal is at this point.

I think that some of the criticism has come from people who wanted to see her run and think that she has undermined her chances of success.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 2:25 PM

I don’t know about 2012, nor did I speculate on it, since it’s uncertain.

Once more, your obfuscations and false assumptions are exposed.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:32 PM

You are sure quick off the draw with accusations, aren’t you. Forgive me, I have sinned for having read several thousand posts about Sarah Palin in the past 3 days and don’t remember them all. I’m sure you can recall all of mine.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 2:46 PM

And you accused those of offering analysis you considered to ’superficial’, ‘kneejerk’ and ‘ignorant’ of being UNCIVIL.

And they weren’t uncivil? Did you read Buy Danish’s namecalling? I never insulted her, nor did I address her rudely, yet she resorts to flinging insults at me for being suspicious of the media – as IF THERE IS NO REASON TO? Isn’t that rather uncivil and idiotic? So far she has been nothing but rude and condescending, as well as pathetically grasping at straws to defend the indefensible.

Physician, heal thyself. You good ole boys are guilty of the same, so when you divest yourself of the hypocrisy, you’ll have some credibility, which is zero right now.

Even Karl Rove has questioned the wisdom of this move. Are you going to say he’s ’superficial’, ‘kneejerk’, and ‘ignorant’?

I never did call him that. I called Morrissey that, and substantiated it with quotes from his pieces here. You seem to conveniently overlook that post. Typical. I haven’t read what Rove said, but I’m sure he did it without referring to Rollins, Gergens, and other RINOs and the Daily Kos, which Morrissey did. Now how about sticking to the topic, instead of diverting?

I never made such claims. You really are building a giant straw man here. Again, I question your claim that you went back and read my posts. You sure are putting a lot of words into my mouth – another disingenuous and intellectually dishonest attempt.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Show me proof of that. I have proof otherwise.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:49 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I won’t bother forgiving you, because I know you are insincere.

I don’t recall your posts, but I certainly don’t create straw men from them, nor have I put words in your mouth. I have simply addressed the ones you addressed to me.

If you can’t keep track of what people are saying, perhaps you should just shut up instead of engaging them with your fallacies, presumptions, and prejudices.

Now, good day.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:51 PM

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I also said that some stated they got it from Palin! TPM and the WSJ both said that, and their version uses emphasized words.

I made a mistake when I included the Miami Herald on that list, as they cite the Anchorage Daily News as the source.

But once again, it is up to Palin to make sure that the version she wants published gets out.

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Still not a big enough girl to retract the insults?

It’s a shame that people’s egos get in the way of establishing any credibility.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Can’t read everything already offered here, BUT…..
I think that JUST HER BACKING OUT RIGHT NOW, for whatever her reasons (irrelevant), must have the RINO’s shaking in their boots!!
Sarah would NEVER fundraise for RINOs !!
But, I’ll BETCHA she will for strong conservatives running against them !!
PITY ! :-)

pambi on July 6, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 2:53 PM

No one said it isn’t. I note that you are evading the issue that it’s odd that the governor’s website has a version which has none of the strange emphasis (emphases?), yet the media does.

But of course, you have a odd need to protect the media, and bash Sarah Palin.

So, that makes you aligned with the Kos kooks, doesn’t it?

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 3:00 PM

right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 2:19 PM

So, let me get this straight: you’re saying that my family getting into a “major accident, almost sure death” is the equivalent of what’s going on in Palin’s family? I wasn’t aware that someone was dying in her family.

Actually, in the situation you’d mentioned, I’d call my commander, who would then put me on emergency leave.

So this isn’t about feminism? It’s not about women wanting equality in the good but not the bad?

What’s keeping Todd Palin from doing anything about it? Yes, I do question his manhood, just as I question the manhood of any boy who lets his wife go off to war in his stead.

of course you would accept that, the “man” you are.

For all interested: this is an ad hominem fallacy.

I pity your daughter if you have any…you are a wimp…
right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Here’s a great documentary you may wish to see: http://www.monstrousregiment.com/
1. I’ll never take my wife or daughters on deployment with me or let them fight in my stead (my sons someday, yes), just as I’ll never parade my kids around on stage with me where they can be attacked.
2. I’ll never allow my daughters to go on trashy talk shows on daytime television.
3. We don’t have cable nor People Magazine and only watch DVDs and Netflix, filtering further crap out of our home.
4. I’ll never allow my daughters out on a date where she’ll be alone with a guy. I wouldn’t trust some snot-nosed 18-yr-old guy driving my truck by himself, so why would I allow him out with my daughter by himself?
5. I won’t allow my sons to go out with a girl where they’ll be alone. No, I wouldn’t trust him, because I wouldn’t trust his father either, who has a lot more to lose and is a lot older and wiser.
6. I’ve prepared my home for when I deploy, so my family will have protection, both spiritually and physically, thanks to my church and Springfield Armory.
7. I don’t plan on exposing my children to state-run “illiteracy cartels”. Homeschooling all the way.
8. My wife is a full-time Mom. Who in this world do I trust most to raise our children? My wife, hands down over daycare.
9. I read the Bible and pray with my wife and children almost every night (when I’m not training or deployed).
10. I really could not care less what you think of me. I’m just showing you in a few simple ways what a man looks like, according to Scripture: a prophet, priest, provider and protector.

Send_Me on July 6, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I don’t recall your posts, but I certainly don’t create straw men from them

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:51 PM

You don’t recall my posts but you call me a “good ole boy”.

Do you mean “boy” literally, in terms of gender? Because if you do, you are at least as sexist as the sexists you rightfully despise.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:11 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Show me proof of that. I have proof otherwise.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I think that both Karl Rove and William Kristol have been very supportive of her, but neither was thrilled by this move.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:14 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:14 PM

They were certainly startled by it. I believe Kristol said he was uncertain, and that maybe she’s “crazy like a fox”. Maybe she is. But after reading her transcript, and learning more about her situation and constraints as a public official, it made sense to me.

What of Ed Morrissey? My focus here has been on his posts. Did you read my critique of that?

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 3:17 PM

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM

For someone who throws around the accusation “liar”, you sure are fast and loose with the truth.

Show me where Buy Danish claimed that the media would never do anything t discredit Palin.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:18 PM

You don’t recall my posts but you call me a “good ole boy”.

I call you that based on the posts you addressed to me.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:11 PM

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 3:18 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Bloody go back and read her posts for yourself! Why the hell should I do all the freaking leg work for you people? Do a little of your own heavy lifting, for God’s sake!

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 3:19 PM

You know, atheling, I’m not sure whether you are being serious here or disingenuous. Let me show you what I mean.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:14 PM

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I wasn’t responding to a request from you about what Ed Morrissey has said. And your claim that your focus here has been on his posts is, well, a bit hard to back up.

This is what I was responding to:

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Show me proof of that. I have proof otherwise.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:49 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:14 PM

You’ve been going on about the pundits (with good reason, I might add). And that’s what I was responding to, not anything having to do with Ed Morrissey specifically.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:24 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Well, you just proved that you did NOT go back and read my prior posts on this thread.

Try again.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 3:26 PM

You don’t recall my posts but you call me a “good ole boy”.
I call you that based on the posts you addressed to me.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:11 PM

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I see. Anyone who disagrees with you is a ‘good ole boy’. Narcissist tendencies, perhaps?

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Try again.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Some people are talking about fruit loops on another thread. Maybe you should try. I think you’d like it.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:28 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM

More straw men and lies. You really take the cake; I thought MadCon was bad.

Perhaps you ought to contemplate the term, “good ole boy” more deeply than you have… try to understand what it means, and how it applies to this scenario.

Hint: it’s not about me.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 3:29 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Don’t ever whine about civility again, you hypocrite.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 3:29 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:18 PM

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 3:19 PM

OK, calm down. I’m just going to let you know that I have read Buy Danish’s posts and I don’t see any claim like the one you’ve put in her mouth. So if you can’t back it up by producing them, I’ll know you’re making it up.

And I’m going to drop this thread because, frankly, your reactions are way over the top and there doesn’t seem to be any way to have anything like a useful conversation at this point.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Professor (and I use that term lightly) Miao:

So far, you have engaged in nothing but false assertions, straw men, and ad hominems.

You’re a waste of time, as I first noted when you came to this thread. That’s why I ignored you, and only responded you when you addressed me.

It’s too bad that now you have degraded this debate to ad hominems and straw men falsehoods. If this is the best you can muster, save it for someone else.

I’ll not waste any more of my time and efforts with someone who is so dishonest and hypocritical.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 3:32 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:28 PM
Don’t ever whine about civility again, you hypocrite.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Yes, I was uncivil. I see you can recognize it when it’s directed at you. Good for you. You earned it.

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:32 PM

ProfessorMiao on July 6, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Once again, thanks for proving that you’re no better than the Daily Kos Kooks and HuffPo lefties.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 3:33 PM

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM

I’m not going to apologize to you because you yourself are doing exactly what you accuse me and others of doing. Professor Miao has already addressed your hypocrisy in this regard.

For you to suggest that I am a “Palin basher”, with the implication being that this is a serial position on my part is a conclusion not based on the evidence. My comments on this thread were limited to how she chose to resign and what I felt was a poorly constructed speech.

It wasn’t the one comment you made about “tampering” with the transcript which led me to the conclusion that you are “loony” (like many Palin supporters). It was a conclusion I reached after reading a litany of commentary from you.

Moreover, your claim that I am “evading the issue” is unadulterated crap. I have done more research on this than you have, looking through various transcripts and checking to see what they say is the source of the transcript they published. I stated that it’s possible that Palin’s office had another version of the speech up originally which was posted in haste, with a clean version up now.

I have nothing to do with the media and thus have no “odd reason” (nor any reason!) to “protect them”. Indeed, I have even gone so far as to email the W.S.J. and ask for clarification on this and will let you know if I get a response.

As you are new to this blog you know nothing about what I have said about Palin in the past, and it is imprudent for you to make assumptions without knowing what you’re talking about. No doubt you’d be quite shocked to see that I have been very supportive of her. Like here. If you go through the thread you’ll see that I was irritated with Allah for not citing that letter himself, as I noted here.

With that, the sun is out and I’m off to the pool.

Later, maybe.

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Send_Me on July 6, 2009 at 3:07 PM

It was an analogy, analogy…they aren’t the same stories but have similar consequences.
If your family was attacked, you wouldn’t defend them?
Okay.
When you run for political office, people do want to know about your family…but maybe you aren’t very well read.
This attack, that you apparently approve of, has never been done before.
It is inconceivable that any real man would condone the vilification of a 14 year old girl…you are quite the man.
So her daughter being on stage, is now set up to be “free game” for rapist jokes, and you think that is okay…what a man.
You whine about a feminist, so she doesn’t leave her kids at home, but Trig is now a useless human, a “retard”, a prop for her mom…and you think that goes with the territory…you are quite the Man

YOu don’t have an 17 year old daughter, do you…and when you are deployed, how do you accomplish this?
You have a lot to learn young man…a lot about life, family…the platitudes of this:

a prophet, priest, provider and protector.

So you are now a prophet? And how do you protect your daughter while overseas? I think you will depend on your wife to do that, let’s hope she is as good as mom and as protective as Sarah Palin, since you won’t be around.

right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 4:18 PM

impossible for her and her staff to effectively do their jobs and serve the people of Alaska. If we’re going to have an honest discussion, we can’t leave that out.

PackerBronco on July 6, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I agree. I see nothing in Sarah’s future that will help her abate the attacks. They are determined to destroy her and she is determined to protect her family.

csdeven on July 6, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I am new here. And from the hostile and rude comments you have directed towards me, it’s quite clear that you have problems – with me, apparently – even when I jokingly pointed out an ironic twist to your misspelling of my name and your name. You immediately responded in a rude and hostile manner without even pausing to think of what I was saying.

That tells me that you are either just a rude bitch, or have difficulty comprehending other people’s remarks without flying off the handle.

And you accuse me of being a “loon”? I have every good reason to suspect foul play by the media, and you have the blindness and gall to criticize me for it? Have you been asleep all year while Palin was savaged by them?

Oh no, you pretend it didn’t happen so you can insult and misconstrue my remarks, indicating some kind of antipathy you have for me.

I have made some solid, substantial comments as to why Palin resigned, and you and your ilk have taken the low road by engaging in ad hominems and obfuscating. I have never called you anything rude except now, because you have earned it. Never have I seen such derision and hostility towards conservatives except by the Left.

You’ve joined them, it seems, and your MO proves it.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Buy Danish:

I think you have been overtly hostile and unfair to me. I have never called you names, nor have I resorted to the low level of insults you have. Clearly you demonstrate a species of antipathy towards me without any rational reason, so I guess I can put it down to your being just a rude b****.

I made an offhanded joke about your misspelling my name and the irony of it considering your own. You completely misread it by coming back with a rude insult. Why is that?

Why the antipathy? And if you are a Palin “supporter” as you claim, why the hostility towards those who support her? I have posted long, reasoned, substantial comments as to why Palin resigned. You and your ilk resort to ad hominem attacks, insults, and plain dissembling.

Clearly, you are an unreasonable, unjust person with a very thin skin.

Your responses remind me of the quote, “If you attempt an actual argument with a modern paper of opposite politics, you will have no answer except slanging or silence.”

Your MO resembles those “modern papers”. Your rudeness and unwarranted name calling only reveals your level of declasse.

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Whoever came up with this strategy, it was brilliant.

They saw an opportunity and they took it.

An ethics complaint system that allows people to file charges against public officials as often as they like, and even if after subsequent investigation no abuses were found, the filee was only out of pocket for their own court costs; the public official found blameless got not ONE RED CENT and ended up having to pay for their legal representation out of their own pocket.

A system set up to allow the poor to sue the powerful and suffer no repercussions whatsoever.

Of course liberals have promptly abused it.

With Sarah Palin as their target, they have filed over 18 ethics complaints against her in the past year. All investigate, all found baseless, all costing her a fortune.

Like I said – a BRILLIANT strategy for removing her from the scene as a viable political candidate by 2012.

Had she remained in office for the next two years, let’s take a bet as to how many total ethics complaints she would have faced and how deeply she’d be in the red trying to defend herself against them.

I’ll go first:

30 ethics complaints, and over $1,000,000 in debt.

Seeing a way to keep Palin under a cloud, under investigation, under suspicion, pinned down in Alaska constantly trying to defend herself, all the way up to and likely even past 2012, the Left has gone all-in in pursuing this strategy.

If she was thinking about a 2012 run for the White House, a 2 1/2 year long jihad against her by her states own Ethics Complaint System should disabuse her of that notion.

Not only would she be phoning in her job as Governor for 2 years, she’d be constantly having to direct her attention to the charges in Alaska and desperately fighting them, knowing that being unjustly convicted of one false charge – a real possibility, mind you – could derail her.

Like I said, whoever dreamed this up, speaking strictly from a strategic standpoint, it was BRILLIANT.

It was WORKING.

And now……as a strategy………it’s DEAD.

Way to go Sarah.

manofaiki on July 6, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Well, now that you mention it, I do look at how well a person with leadership ambitions manages his/her home…

This attack, that you apparently approve of, has never been done before.

Who’s condoning such things? Again, yet another ad hominem.

Not at all. I don’t think it’s very prudent though. By your logic I should let my daughters dress like whores and expect that every boy out there will act like a gentleman towards her. As a wise man I know put it: if I’m looking for a policeman, I’ll look for the guy wearing the policeman uniform. If a person were looking for a streetwalker, then for what would he look? (Answer: not my daughters.)

You’re doing all the talking.

Nope, I don’t. It starts when they are young. I’ll show her what a real man is. I’ll show her what to expect in a husband by loving my wife more than any other person on this earth. Here are two books you may appreciate: “What He Must Be… If He Wants to Marry my Daughter” by Voddie Baucham and “Shepherding a Child’s Heart” by Ted Tripp.

right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 4:18 PM

I’ll depend upon my wife and the elders of my church. My wife is far more capable of protecting our children than Palin was of hers, mainly because she’ll actually be home with them, as opposed to gallivanting on the campaign trail or in an office somewhere.

Send_Me on July 6, 2009 at 5:41 PM

as opposed to gallivanting on the campaign trail or in an office somewhere.

Send_Me on July 6, 2009 at 5:41 PM

So you think a woman’s place is in the home…thank God, Jesus didn’t think that. They were the only ones who tended to Him, the only ones who went to the cave, the only ones who did not deny Him. Remember when he stoned that “whore”?, no neither do I, but I do remember Him honoring her.
Until you raise a daughter, until you have walked in those shoes, until you say to your daughter, you can’t go to the prom because God told me so…then reserve your contempt for someone who had done the “right” thing. Your religion so narrow minded that when a mistake is made, a 17 year old gets pregnant, you blame the parents? What strange God awful religion do you belong to?
Want to see your logic, here:

Where did I ever say, or where did I ever even hint that Palin’s daughters can or have dressed like whores. Why would you think Bristol dresses like a whore (she is 14 years old, my goodness you are sick), what strange image comes to mind…and how can you be so narrow minded that only girls who dress like whores get pregnant.
You, young man, are quite the Neanderthal…

right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 6:15 PM

So you think a woman’s place is in the home…thank God, Jesus didn’t think that.

When you get the chance, please read Proverbs 31, Ephesians 5 and 6, 1 Timothy 3, Titus 1 and 2. Also, a good book: “Passionate Housewives Desperate for God” by Jennie Chancey and Stacy McDonald.
Feminism has done more to destroy families than Hollywood ever could, but then again feminism and socialism are inextricably linked, but I digress.

Another book (I know you said earlier that I wasn’t well read) is this: “Logic: The Right Use of Reason in the Inquiry of Truth” by Isaac Watts.
Here’s the problem with your argument: you’re implying that just because I haven’t “experienced” something that I don’t know what to do. That’s like saying that since I’ve never had a grease fire in the kitchen that I don’t know how to put one out until I’ve had to do it before.
Do I know everything? Absolutely not, but I know where to find the answers and whom to approach for wisdom, which is to say, not Cosmo or Oprah.

I remember two things that stuck out to me during Greta Van Susteren’s mini-documentary about Palin: (1) Palin’s tshirt that said, “I may be broke, but I’m not flat chested”, and (2) a conversation between Gov. Palin and her husband one evening in the kitchen that went like this, “So, have you heard from Bristol this evening?” “No, I haven’t seen nor heard from her at all.” My wife and I looked at each other thinking the same thing, “Hmmm, yeah, there’s a recipe for trouble.”

You didn’t. Read what I said again. I said your line of thinking, that we should be able to parade our kids around the national scene, on television shows of ill repute, without any consequences, without anyone making any derogatory comments. I wish the world worked that way, I really do. But you know what? I don’t stand outside the bear cages at the zoo with a porterhouse tied to my arm. We live in a real world. I wouldn’t parade my kids around on the national media scene, especially knowing how corrupt it is, just as I would not allow my sons and daughters to wear sensual clothing. Not once did I say that the Palin kids dressed inappropriately.

You, young man, are quite the Neanderthal…
right2bright on July 6, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Why do you resort to name-calling?

Send_Me on July 6, 2009 at 7:15 PM

She resigned from the chair of the the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission when she saw corruption and worked to correct the problems from the outside and then went on to become the governor. So why not the same approach with the Republican Party.

amr on July 6, 2009 at 7:16 PM

We can put the conspiracy theory du jour to bed. The W.S.J. responded to an email I sent them asking where they got the transcript for Sarah Palin’s resignation speech which contained emphasized words:

“The transcript from Governor Sarah Palin’s resignation speech that was cited on WSJ.com came directly from the governor’s Web site that her office had originally posted on Friday.”

No nefarious plot, no “tampering” with the transcript. Just Palin’s office putting up one version and later using a different one.
*****

atheling on July 6, 2009 at 5:01 PM

You poor dear. You came to this site and left a slew of rude and idiotic comments about your blog hosts (calling them “sexist”, “amatueurs”, “elitists”, “Married to a blue collar guy (that’s why beta males like AP hates her),”, “Poor journalistic integrity”, blah blah blah…) culminating with this insane charge:

Thanks, Ed Morrissey and Allahpundit, you traitors.
atheling on July 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM)

You then proceeded to call other commenters “misogynists”, a “LIAR” (after they expressed an opinion that your commentary isn’t all you think it’s cracked up to be), a “moron”, “a puffed up, arrogant, cynical, dishonest misogynist”…”contemptible”, and so forth, ad nauseam.

And you’re whining to me about decorum?

Unfreakingbelievable.

Buy Danish on July 6, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Socialist Liberals are more scared of Governor Sarah Palin than any other republican, and certainly more scared of her than they are of the most conservative Rush Limbaugh, Michelle Malkin, and Ann Coulter.

The enemy of my enemies is my friend. The greatest enemy of the socialist liberals is thus my heroine.

DannoJyd on July 7, 2009 at 12:10 AM

manofaiki on July 6, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Thank You for your post. But many here thought she should have waited until she ACTUALLY went bankrupt before seeing the light.

And now they are mad because she would not stand still for the stoning. Darn that Sarah, she moved and the stones missed the intended target. Now the Left is more freaked than they were before.

Geochelone on July 7, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Why do you resort to name-calling?

Send_Me on July 6, 2009 at 7:15 PM

That isn’t name calling, that is a descriptive term.
You see things only in your way, you think Sarah on stage with her children is “parading them”, tell me, when a pastor brings his children to the pulpit, is he “parading them”?

You are the kind of person who would have verbally attacked my daughter. She wore nice clothes, dressed sharp, and was blessed with great looks…you would have punished her for that, because she attracted attention. Like Sarah, people are drawn to her, good looking, good speaker, dresses sharp, and successful.
Some people are blessed with the ability (a gift) to lead, and with that leadership comes others, like you, with jealousy and envy…you read the bible so that should have be very clear to you.
You have fallen into the “envy” group that the bible speaks of so often.
Let go of your legalistic views, Jesus fought, and died so people like you would learn not to be so demeaning, so legalistic, so closed minded…He is the One who reached out to the whore…and you are the one who was picking up the stone…He was talking to you, get it, it was YOU!
If you were the man you say you are, you would drop to your knees and ask for forgiveness in persecuting someone you never met, someone who has never done you harm, someone that Jesus loves and has asked that you love her….but you won’t, pride won’t let you.
Now that you are reading the bible, try applying it….start now.

I may be broke, but I’m not flat chested

These are the things that drive me nuts…you better check your resources.

right2bright on July 7, 2009 at 9:55 AM