Video: Ferraro says Palin made a “big mistake”

posted at 11:15 am on July 4, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

From the network that gave Sarah Palin her best coverage, and from the woman who gave Palin the best treatment among Democrats, Palin’s resignation still gets criticized. Geraldine Ferraro defended Palin from some of the worst excesses of the media attacks and continues to do it in this interview, but also says failing to finish her term would damage her long-term political prospects:

Ferraro makes another good point towards the end. As governor of Alaska, Palin had a seat at the table for policy issues, especially on energy and budgeting. Regardless of how the media treated her, her office gave her access. As Sarah Palin, private citizen, that’s no longer going to be the case. She’ll make her money on the lecture circuit, but she’s all but destroyed her opportunity to force change, at least in Alaska.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

julian on July 5, 2009 at 3:30 PM

You’re in deep. Start to see criticism for what it is — not an attack on you, on your position, on your party, on your philosophy.

deesine on July 5, 2009 at 3:38 PM

I am a conservative for life because I know who I am and what I believe in. My conservative ideology stands on the shoulders of great thinkers from Cicero to Burke. And moreover, it’s been tried and tested. Our great country was founded on conservative principles. I do not understand when conservatives engage in fruitless debate on political tactics and technics. In opinion, educating and enlightening Americans especially new immigrants is more important than winning elections (a recent Pew research study says more people identify themselves as conservative than any other ideology in the US) When more people learn of what we stand for and understand the history of the US, we stand a chance of consigning liberalism into the dustbin of history. Liberalism or whatever name is in vogue for the Hollywood crowd is not an ideology, it’s an emotion; take any issue you’re well informed and start a debate with any liberal person you know; as you wind down the debate knocking every fickle opposing point; the argument ends in a meek tone from your liberal colleague in this form or something similar “but it’s only fair that blah blah blah” Their ideas are never put to test to see if it works or fails, we all just need to go along because “it’s only fair”. So in essence what I’m trying to convey to you is, stop arguing tactics with people you agree with on majority of the issues and start fighting for what has built this country to it’s greatness so we can hand over a better country to our children. Do you honestly believe that if SP was President, we would be talking about a Government Motors, or Government take over of Health care? yes, the msm might still keep us abreast with Palin family issues but does any true conservative believe we would be fearful of the direction our country would be headed? if your answer is the obvious No, then why the hassle about her resignation? what she has done, if it’s political, is tactical, it could work or it fail but that’s no excuse to throw the woman to the lions and regurgitate every lefty insults and mischaracterizations; by doing that, you are indirectly aiding and abetting people who may be unknowingly destroying this country.

julian on July 5, 2009 at 5:08 PM

The next time you see a “mistake” that really wasn’t a big deal, show some character: don’t act like a friggin’ kindergartner.ddrintn on July 5, 2009 at 4:19 PM

So now you admit it’s a mistake but not a big deal. You should refrain from commenting until you are old enough to understand that putting soemone’s name after a quote that is not theirs is a big deal.

Basilsbest on July 5, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Basilsbest on July 5, 2009 at 5:15 PM

ROFL…whatever…neener neener…

ddrintn on July 5, 2009 at 5:30 PM

For me, in July 2009, the answer is still no.

highhopes on July 4, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Then whom might that be?

peacenprosperity on July 5, 2009 at 5:34 PM

That’s kinda slimey but still, not the same as quitting.

oddjob1138 on July 5, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I understand now – being the standard slimey politician doing a half-a**ed job while you campaign for another office is preferable to handing over the position to an elected Lt.Gov.

katiejane on July 5, 2009 at 5:46 PM

julian on July 5, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Get a grip. I hardly offered criticism, more like a distillation of any future SP presidential bid — convincing people that quitting in Alaska is better for Alaska and the nation. Her opponents just got another box of ammo to fire at her. I’m not the one firing.

You would probably learn more about my beliefs/position by calmly asking rather than inferring wildly and insultingly.

However, since you appear sincere in your last post: I’m one of those people who really didn’t think much of Sarah until I started noticing how she was always in the news. A couple of post-election months seeing her drive democrats crazy convinced me that she stood a good chance at the national level. That’s right, I’m a card carrying Sarah Palin supporter — probably like a lot of others who, unless we appear to be “fighting”, are now getting the zealot treatment.

Try to get this: your fellow conservatives, like myself, Allah and Ed, are not the problem.

stop arguing tactics with people you agree with on majority of the issues

Most of us here are reading the same book. Don’t get upset because I want to talk about a different chapter. I’m on the “Sarah Palin’s Post-Alaska Presidential Run” chapter, and I think her opponents will be plastering “Palin: Quitter” everywhere. That will be her first, and perhaps largest, hurdle at the national level.

Try not to come apart when that’s not conveyed just like you want: maybe something like, “Oh man, I can’t wait for Sarah to officially announce her presidential run and answer the criticism of her early resignation.” Just writing that makes me feel like I’m holding pom-poms.

deesine on July 5, 2009 at 6:25 PM

katiejane on July 5, 2009 at 5:46 PM

You are making a stupid argument because it’s not the same thing at all. That’s what I am saying. Neither of the things you posited are preferable to finishing out your first term and then running. If you decided not to finish your first term and quit it looks like you make bad decisions(barring more info to explain her actions better which we don’t have). Running, while in office has been done since the beginning of the country. It’s different. If you want to take Obama down you have to use well thought out arguments. That isn’t one. It’s a fallacy on it’s face. Illogical.

You sound lime my kid when he gets busted. He immediately throws his younger brother under a buss and points out stuff his bro did to get get the attention off him. I tell him it doesn’t work because all that matters is that HE did something wrong. and that I’ll deal with his bro later.

oddjob1138 on July 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM

As long as Sarah was governor, the president or his senators was not going to give Alaska anything…nothing.
Why would they give their biggest threat any ammunition.
Sarah knew this, her being gov. is a detriment to the federal policies of Alaska.

right2bright on July 5, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Allow me to address the “abandoning her state” argument. She is doing no such thing. Her replacement, also elected, will take over for her. Any person can leave their job for any reason.

And, I would like to remind you how much the Left mocked the fact that Palin was the governor of the measly state of Alaska. They tried to discredit her by somehow claiming that it was a meaningless place, certainly not able to justify political leadership experience worthy of a VP candidate. Now, that she has decided to leave her position, they suddenly want to reverse this mindset and claim that her state needs her, that it is an important job and she is shirking her elected responsibilities.

Hopey changey hypocrisy

cannonball on July 5, 2009 at 8:16 PM

I ask those that think she is leaving her job prematurely this:

* In 1996 Obama won his first election to become an Illinois state senator.
* Obama completed his first two-year term as a Illinois senator. In 1999, during his second term, he decided to run for Congress. He failed at that effort in 2000.
* In 2003 he made the mid-term decision to run for the US Senate.
* After becoming a Senator in and beginning his term in 2005 he decided a year into the job that he would run for President. He officially began running in January 2007.

I’ve always hated listening to politicians after they decide to run for higher office. Obama is the poster child for how to ignore your responsibilities while seeking higher office. It is all he has ever done. If you thing high school “senior-itis” is tough to deal with, imagine what it is like as an elected official. If you are focused on the next election, your current job responsibilities go straight out the door. Understanding this concept, do you think it was fair to the citizens of Arizona that John McCain spent virtually all of his time running for president instead of serving his state? Did Barack Obama neglect or abandon his duties in Illinois by spending two years running for president?

In my opinion, if you decide to run for higher office, the best possible thing you can do for your constituents is step down from your current position. Let someone else do the job that can focus on that job. How does this NOT make sense?

cannonball on July 5, 2009 at 8:19 PM

cannonball on July 5, 2009 at 8:19 PM

It doesn’t make sense because NOBODY does it. No sitting president running for reelection resigns his post to run. And we absolutely would not accept it if they did. Every single sitting incumbent in every possible position in every national, state and local level does not resign when they run for office whether running for reelection or for another position elsewhere in government. And while Obama may have even set a record for how soon into a new job he started running for the next job it is still not quitting.

Or are you suggesting every president quits his post when he starts running for a second term?

oddjob1138 on July 5, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Now quit making me defend Obama!

oddjob1138 on July 5, 2009 at 2:08 PM
____________________________________________

(Tool bar disappeared.)

We defend whom we wish, oddone, and you have chosen to use Obama’s fraud in the Senate as an attack on Palin. Fine, own it. Obama snaked his way into the Senate in Illinois, representing me. He laughed off then swore off any notion that he would leave that office before the end of his first term/real job.

He then proceeded to act as an absentee Senator and do nothing but waste my money and leave me unrepresented as an Illinois voter, while running for President for two years.

Sarah Palin was unexpectedly/inexplicably selected to join that campaign with McCain. She learned very quickly that you cannot govern Alaska while doing so. Who knows if she’s running for President – if she does, I personally hope to find a more qualified candidate in the primary.

But if she resigned that office because she can’t do both – and no one could – then I won’t fault her for it. It’s another rare moment of honesty in government. Your hero Obama is utterly unfamiliar with this concept.

Jaibones on July 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM

One parade of faulty logic after another. I don’t defend what he did. I just don’t think it’s a double standard and I can’t, no matter who is involved be party to a totally illogical, unfair attack. You FEEL that way, that’s fine. But it is NOT the same as quitting.

And for the people who can’t seem to read what I actually post: I am not attacking Palin. Never did. Probably never will unless she turns into Bush II and starts pushing amnesty. You twisting my assertion that the argument you and others keep putting forth that somehow what Palin did and what Obama did is similar or the same into an attack on Palin is misguided at best into an attack on Palin is inane. At best.

I ask again: Are you suggesting every president quits his post when he starts running for a second term? If the answer is ‘no’ then I, personally would drop that line of attack as it makes you look foolish to continue it. But hey, that’s me.

oddjob1138 on July 5, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Relax, sport. You’re taking yourself more seriously than anyone else is.

Jaibones on July 6, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Well, I do tend to get riled up when people completely distort what I say. Go figure.

oddjob1138 on July 6, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I noticed the entire speech was delivered without ahhhs, ummms, and teleprompters.

Saltysam on July 4, 2009 at 2:29 PM

It made me very angry when, on the morning of July 4, 2009 (approx. 6:10 am), CBS (NY Channel 2) reported that Sarah Plain used a teleprompter to give her resignation speech. Will they ever be called out, on that lie?

sinsing on July 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I said hello, Mitty,……well, hello, Mitty
Its so nice to have you back where you belong
Youre lookin swell, Mitty…….i can tell, Mitty
Youre still glowin…youre still crowin…youre still goin strong
I feel the party swayin……while the media is playin
One of its favorite memes from way back when
So….. take his coat, fellas…….find him a microphone, fellas
Mittyll never go away again

(instrumental break)

I said hello, Mitty,…..well, hello, Mitty
Its so nice to have you back where you belong
Youre lookin swell, Mitty…..i can tell, Mitty
Youre still glowin…youre still crowin…youre still goin strong
I feel the party swayin…while the media keeps on playin
One of its favourite memes from way back when
So…golly, gee, fellas….find Mitt an empty microphone, fellas
Mittyll never go away….i said Mitty’ll never go away
Mittyll never go away again