Video: What California lawmakers are debating while Sacramento burns

posted at 2:15 pm on July 3, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

We’ve criticized Arnold Schwarzenegger often here for his stewardship of California, and for good reason, but give the man his due — he’s right about this. While California’s credit dissolves into a puddle of red ink and while the state’s IOUs threaten to bankrupt businesses and kill jobs, what is the state legislature debating? Cow tails. No, Arnold’s not joking:

Normally I give credit to governments for being able to multitask. For instance, I wouldn’t deride California’s legislature for working on other critical issues while taking on the budget at the same time. We have legislatures structured to handle the multitude of responsibilities it has, and normally we expect them to walk and chew gum at the same time.

This, however, captures in a nutshell what exactly ails California. They’re wasting time on trivialities and attempting to solve a problem that doesn’t exist while adding to the one that does. This scene shows them adding even more law-enforcement responsibilities to a state overburdened with them and which can’t pay to enforce the myriad laws they already have. You hear clearly that the scourge of tail-lopping is so small as to be hardly worth the state’s effort, but that doesn’t stop the legislators from passing a law to criminalize the activity.

I’d love to see these people explain why they’re debating cow tails while the state issues IOUs. They’re making the entire state government look like what’s below the cow’s tail, and unfortunately for Californians, not for the first time.

Comments

Cow tails.

More like Bull shit

William Amos on July 3, 2009 at 2:19 PM

I heard about this yesterday on the local radio. I think our legislature is in a state of denial (the first stage of death?). They are not taking this budget issue seriously. It’s like they’re expecting a bunch of money to just suddenly show up like it always has before.

I am making plans to leave California and emigrate to the United States.

Weebork on July 3, 2009 at 2:22 PM

That Cathleen Galgan is rocking the Farrah Fawcett do.

Now, about this tail lopping, does it make my steak taste better or something?

myrenovations on July 3, 2009 at 2:23 PM

I never expect anything approaching common sense when it comes California.

Guardian on July 3, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Is it me, or is Arnold starting to act like a Governor.

Sanjoboy on July 3, 2009 at 2:25 PM

I heard this story yesterday. Funny, eh? Yet, it is sort of icky. Cows do need their tails.

OK, a bit of a softie here on animal rights. BUT I’m not over the top on it.

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 2:26 PM

While the state’s fiscal problems were brewing Schwarzenegger was ignoring them and pursuing his high profile struggle to save the planet from CO2. He was more concerned with being loved by Euros and appearing on magazine covers. So he really has no room to talk here.

Mark1971 on July 3, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Is it me, or is Arnold starting to act like a Governor.

Finally, yes. I’m happy with him. I’m sure it’s temporary. *haha

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Cow tails? What about ox tails or mouse tails? Why are they only concerned about one species? The California Legislature is speciesist!

rbj on July 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Ed, you secretly miss it, don’t you?

The California legislature has been broken since you lived here. Hence, so many ballot propositions and so few legislative solutions. The only thing missing from this disaster flick is a massive earthquake.

Terrie on July 3, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Is it me, or is Arnold starting to act like a Governor.

Sanjoboy on July 3, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Yes he is. He’s part of the reason they’re in this mess, but I suppose if he cleans it up in the end, he does deserve credit.

My guess is when he flew out to DC last month to beg for a bailout, Obama must’ve told him that under no circumstances would one be coming. The legislature is still in a state of denial.

Doughboy on July 3, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Time for torches, pitchforks and heads on poles.

guntotinglibertarian on July 3, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Too little, too late Arnie. You blew a mandate few politicians ever get.

patrick neid on July 3, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Now, listen….it’s a stupid thing politically to discuss, but really, cows need their tails.

It’s just the right thing to leave nature alone.

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I read a story about a retiring California legislator, who proclaimed that her greatest legislative achievement was designating the french horn her city’s official instrument.

When I left in 2007, I didn’t look in the rearview mirror.

mossberg500 on July 3, 2009 at 2:39 PM

It’s just the right thing to leave nature alone.

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Yeah, I garnish my hamburgers with the tails.

mossberg500 on July 3, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Ox tails are quite tasty though.

Sanjoboy on July 3, 2009 at 2:41 PM

The problem isn’t with cow TAILS, it’s what comes out from beneath them and covers Sacramento and the rest of California that’s the problem.

bradley11 on July 3, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Page 1, Section 1, Paragraph 1 out of the Democrat Playbook.

fogw on July 3, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Righteous indignation really doesn’t suit him very well. He’s blundered his way through his tenure as Governor. He owns California’s terrible economic situation in the same way Obama now owns the national economy. You can’t blame others for your actions (or lack of actions). Just another Hollywood Pretty Boy.

Tommy_G on July 3, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Weebork on July 3, 2009 at 2:22 PM

They don’t have to. They and other government workers are still getting paid.

Blake on July 3, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Kaleefornia still leads the world in growing and exporting fruits, nuts and flakes. IOUs not required.

Fletch54 on July 3, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Speaking of cows, Michael Jackson paid some African witch doctor to slaughter 43 cows to put a curse on Jackson’s enemies. Sort of disgusting.

Blake on July 3, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Cow tails.
More like Bull shit

William Amos on July 3, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Yes, you silly city boy, that is where it comes from, the tail end. If you live in the city, it comes from all state and federal officials. Washington D.C. is full of it and nary a cow or it’s tail to be found.

hugs, a country girl who used to live in California.

kringeesmom on July 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM

They could be debating how much more illegal aliens need and should state workers have to work until 55 to get their 110% retirement salary.

jukin on July 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM

LOL, Blake. That is disgusting.

I still want to picture my cows in life with their tails. But this is CA.

We pass a law on darn near everything.

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 2:47 PM

I think that California needs to take up a debate on callus shavings. Can we tax the Pedi Egg?

/speaking of callus shavings… I nominate Nancy Pelosi’s face. All in favor?

Key West Reader on July 3, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Let’s keep the focus on cowtails.

Seriously, they need tails, folks, to swat flies!

LOL*

One radio host said this came about due to workers not liking to be swatted when they hooked the milking machines on.

(Does anyone else see the connection between this story and Sanford? Talk about knowing too much! They have me now worried over poor cows!!!!)

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 2:49 PM

It’s just the right thing to leave nature alone.

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 2:35 PM

How does that mesh with your abortion stance?

DarkCurrent on July 3, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Once in awhile Arnold gets it right.

They’re worth less than the ouput of said orifice, at least that can be used for fertilizer. These people are useless.

infidel4life on July 3, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Each and every single one of these useless government teet sucking cows, sows, goats and mules needs to be lined up and systematically fired with a pink slip… one by one.

These idiots should be made to stand before the People of california and answer for what it is that they do to suck the life and liberty from the State. What do they do? How much do they make? What justifies their purpose?

Try that, California… let the People decide if these life long career teet suckers are worth their welfare checks.

/Hey, when Ahnoold issues IOU’s for Welfare checks? Let’s the riots begins!!!

Key West Reader on July 3, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I’ve got a fever, and the only prescription is more cow tail.

Mark1971 on July 3, 2009 at 2:53 PM

only prescription is more cow tail.

Mark1971 on July 3, 2009 at 2:53 PM

You take the name of Monica Lewinsky in vain.

Key West Reader on July 3, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Blake on July 3, 2009 at 2:45 PM

That worked out well

DarkCurrent on July 3, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Does regulating cow tails provide for any additional source of revenue from fines from improperly tailed cows? Can enforcement of the regulation be “free” by encouraging neighboring farmers to snitch on non-compliant neighbors?

Maybe it IS budget work in disguise. /s

crosspatch on July 3, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Is it me, or is Arnold starting to act like a Governor.

Sanjoboy on July 3, 2009 at 2:25 PM

I’ll bet Maria Shriver isn’t speaking to him.

Cicero43 on July 3, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Weebork on July 3, 2009 at 2:22 PM

LOL, do you have the location of that mythical land? I think a few might like to join you.

I see that some who fled are now turning Texas into California 2.0, just like the folks fleeing Taxachusetts are trying to build Taxachusetts 2.0 in New Hampshire.

Frankly, I think we need to send them to capitalism re-education camps. Oh wait. We don’t have any.

dogsoldier on July 3, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I’ll bet Maria Shriver isn’t speaking

to him.

Arnold compromised with Dems, went out and tried to sell even more taxes, after the biggest increase ever.

70% said NO.

No, Maria isn’t stupid.

No more taxes.

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 2:59 PM

How does that mesh with your abortion stance?

About the same. I come from Mid-western folks. Sometimes, it’s best to save the mother.

I personally think abortion is still the same issue it’s been for a long time. Is the woman “property” of the state?

Or not.

I think we clearly have a society that values individual decisions. All of the right-wing who is so angry about public option repeats this over and over, in fact.

Yet, they wish to determine what a woman chooses?

That’s contradictory.

You’re in a corner on that issue.

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Hmm… and as I am reading this I am eating some fine Ox Tail soup…

Talk about irony.

Sackett on July 3, 2009 at 3:10 PM

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 3:03 PM

By “save the mother”, do you mean literally save the mother’s life, or something less dramatic?

It’s a purely a rhetorical question, of course. By now most of us here understand you mean “save the mother the inconvenience”.

DarkCurrent on July 3, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I think we clearly have a society that values individual decisions.

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Except when the “individual decision” is whether to kill someone else. I mean, you’ve got to draw the line somewhere, wouldn’t you say?

Cicero43 on July 3, 2009 at 3:18 PM

No, Dark….I mean, save the mother’s life.

I have no problem about giving up abortion as a method of birth control.

I think where things got messy for a lot of us, on either side, was where the pregnancy wasn’t about choice.

Rape? That’s not about a mother’s life, per se. But it sure is about a mother’s life.

I still would say that a woman should have the right to decide that. But I’d be OK with not covering that type of deal under a public option plan.

I don’t want to be unwilling to do deal breakers.

I’m also totally unwilling to negotiate with hardcore right-wingers on this.

There’s no point to it. They are a minority. They should lose.

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I think I personally have arrived at personal decision, no legal interferance at all.

Insurance? Public Option? I think I’ve decided that’s the logical cutting off point.

In short, I get those who don’t want to pay for “convenience abortions.” I think that anyone who decides to go that route, pay for it. Ditto for assisted suicide.

Society can make a statement. We can support individual decisions as well as make a group statement.

The way we do that is through group decisions about what we pay for.

You have diabetes? We decide, you do need medical support, education, etc.

You want to use abortion as a form of birth control, we decide as a group, we prefer not to support that.

We recognize that someone like that probably should not be reproducing anyway.

But, I do hear conservatives on this.

It’s not OK to use that as a form of birth control.

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I don’t think abortion should even be discussed at the national level. Its a local issue that should be decided at the local level. Let each community decide the issue according to their values without interference from busy-bodies in other communities.

Then let people vote with their feet.

crosspatch on July 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Then let people vote with their feet.

crosspatch on July 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Too bad for embryos that they can’t walk

DarkCurrent on July 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Well, they also banned foie gras production and allow children to choose their gender on their grade school records.

So what’s a few hundred eleventy billion in deficits? We are the People’s (and Animals’) Paradise!

PattyJ on July 3, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I’m sorry but you have to define “right.” If right means he is trying to be on the politically expedient side of an isue then I agrgee. If you mean the man has a principle upon which his criticism is based then I would disagree. The California GOP needs to spend the next few elections cycles apologizing for Schwarzenegger.

Theworldisnotenough on July 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Welllllll….it’s ’cause the karma’s not right for a serious discussion. Or it’s because they’re Dems. They don’t discuss serious issues.

n0doz on July 3, 2009 at 4:21 PM

What exactly are they intending to do with these cow tails?

allrsn on July 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 2:47 PM

I normally ignore trolls but I’ll make an exception here. Tail “docking” is done to keep the tail away from the udders during milking.
It doesn’t hurt the cow any more than the pain you put your dog or cat through when they are spayed or neutered.

You do support that practice I assume?

FireBlogger on July 3, 2009 at 4:50 PM

I am making plans to leave California and emigrate to the United States.

Oh, no you don’t. You clowns referendumed yourselves into this mess: you can all stay there and either pay for it or fix it.

MarkT on July 3, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Is it me, or is Arnold starting to act like a Governor.

Sanjoboy on July 3, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Yes and he’s only five years late.

RJL on July 3, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Cow tails? Finally! Something that Keith Olbermann is qualified upon which to comment using that Cornell Ag diploma of his.

andycanuck on July 3, 2009 at 6:26 PM

The entire state government of California IS what’s below the cow’s tail, and above the thighs.

That’s the whole problem!

SilverStar830 on July 3, 2009 at 7:36 PM

And while the crops burn, they’re saving the minnows! Is there no boundary to the stupidity to those people? You reap what you sow and in this case the people of Mexifornia are getting exactly what they deserve.

Gays, celebrities, illegal aliens, exorbitant taxes, corruption and minnows. Is anybody surprised Mexifornia is sliding into the Pacific? Let em suffer. Maybe one day they’ll vote for conservatives when they’ve suffered enough.

orlandocajun on July 3, 2009 at 8:07 PM

The cows do need their tails to swat flies. Leave them be. And no, I do not support abortion.

Rose on July 3, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Yet, they wish to determine what a woman chooses?

That’s contradictory.

You’re in a corner on that issue.

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 3:03 PM

The only one who is in a corner on this issue is you!

Unless you take the absurd position that the embryo is nothing more than a piece of nondescript flesh, and removing it is nothing more sinister than removing a tooth, then your position logically ends up as euthanasia, and worse.

Unless the mother’s life is legitimately in danger (which is less than 1% of all abortions), then killing the unborn is murder.

Joe Pyne on July 3, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Priorities, Ed, priorities. The Democrats KNOW what is important in this state. God how I hope there is a wholesale bloodbath in the 2010 elections.

GarandFan on July 3, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Living in California is now synonymous with living directly under a cow’s tail, and every one of the legislators in California are more than happy to dine there as well, after directing the cows to munch happily in a pasture loaded with ‘shrooms.

I have aborted our family’s plans to visit California. There is nothing to see there that I can’t see in downtown Detroit.

Spiritk9 on July 3, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Laissez-les manger du gâteau

Kini on July 3, 2009 at 9:35 PM

AnnainCa: Oh my dear you never took biology. Or if you were ever pregnant or considering pregnancy you never read about it carefully and now you bury your head in the sand and make no effort to research your position. When a woman aborts an infant, that child is not a part of the woman’s body. Yes it is carried inside the body but it is a separate entity with separate DNA in a separate, special compartment developing it’s own personality and everything. I used to be a pro-abortion liberal democrat until I considered pregnancy, got pregnant, then researched the subject of infants in the womb. I then grew up. The unborn are are human beings with human DNA and distinct likes and dislikes and the only differences between you and them are that they can’t take care of themselves and they don’t have a voice. Infants in utero are the next group of people who need to file for their civil rights.(The right to LIFE, LIBERTY, and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS) They are being discriminated against and slaughtered because they are an inconvenience. Anna, dare to think out of the populist box and do a little research.

Regarding the bobbing of cow tails: Shouldn’t this set a precendence regarding the bobbing of dog tails as well? Geez! I’m so glad I’m not in California anymore as a citizen. I visit often but to live there? NAH! Bunch of idiots!

Driefromseattle on July 3, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Wow, that Cathleen is hot… what “cow tails” are you guys whining about :-)

nagee76 on July 3, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Maybe they can kill two birds with one stone here. First they could ask the stem cell researchers to see if they can grow new cow tails. Then they can cheer the fact that the $5 billion they spent on stem cell research paid off…

Paco on July 3, 2009 at 11:44 PM

I believe that rearranging the deck chairs during a crisis became a popular game about the time that the Titanic went down…

RalphyBoy on July 4, 2009 at 10:39 AM

California is a canary in a mine for the rest of the U.S.A.; It would not be in the situation it’s in, had they enforced the laws on the books from the beginning. The state is being sucked dry from all the welfare and special privileges GIVEN to illegal aliens. No state can function this way for long. The parasites are outnumbering the hosts. The rest of the U.S. is falling into the same pattern and policy. And when the U.S.A. becomes the larger parasite, who’s going to be our host? Not many choices.

Cybergeezer on July 4, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Medically, this rarely happens. The only situation where this might be the case is where the child has already died and it would be medically safer for the mother to have it removed from the womb.

Besides, I really don’t wish to meet the person who would want to see her child’s life ended to save her own hide. I seriously doubt those people come along very often.

That’s never been the issue with people opposed to abortion. We see it as an attempt to dehumanize the unborn, making it acceptable to kill them out of convenience. That’s barbaric and has no place in civilized society.

You have diabetes? We decide, you do need medical support, education, etc.

Isn’t it up to the diabetic to decide what they want to pay for, as opposed to forcing others to do so?

Some diabetics had no choice, others drove themselves into that state through poor diet and lack of exercise, for others it was a combination of both. Do you really want a slight majority of taxpayers to decide what’s best for you?

It’s not OK to use that as a form of birth control.

You just described the vast majority of abortions performed. Talk about painting yourself into a corner.

The best form of birth control is not to engage in sexual intercourse. If an individual is that opposed to bringing a child into the world there are operations you can have, or you can just choose not to participate in the act that naturally results in the thing you’re trying to avoid.

You need to face the reality. Most abortions happen because people wish to engage in a pleasurable act without having to accept the consequences of that act.

TheMightyMonarch on July 4, 2009 at 12:58 PM

LET THEM CUT TAILS!

There is no amount of money collected that will solve or help California’s budget problems.

The problem is not now or ever has been a “revenue” problem; it is as it always has been a spending problem.

Case in point.

“Assemblyman John Laird, D-Santa Cruz, has unveiled a plan to raise vehicle fees (TAX) by $10 for all Californians to provide unlimited “free” day-use access to all the state parks. His plan would raise a total of $282 million, $40 million of which would backfill lost revenue from park entrance fees”

This is the mentality that causes CA budget problems.

It’s free so long as you pay for it.

$282 million, $40 million of which would backfill lost revenue from park entrance fees.

The remainder — $242 million — would go to increase the budget of the parks system

Lets see, hum, sorry but I’m afflicted with BMS (Basic Math Skills),

ya need $40 million to cover the “Budget Short fall FOR THE PARKS”.

So raise the tax to collect $282 million, to cover the “Budget Short fall FOR THE PARKS”.

Then with the extra $242 million, ya raise the Budget for the parks to $282 million.

Doesn’t this almost guarantee a “Budget Short fall FOR THE PARKS” of $282 million next year?

DSchoen on July 5, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I did NOT know Jessica Simpson was a state legislator! Crazy!

j_galt on January 5, 2010 at 4:58 PM