Video: Jon Stewart on Sanford and his Hello Kitty diary

posted at 1:35 pm on July 3, 2009 by Allahpundit

Gets steadily better as it goes along. If there’s any silver lining for the GOP in Sanford’s meltdown, it’s that his weirdness has become so singular that no longer can the scandal safely be spun as somehow typical of the party. The guy is sui generis; even coming on the heels of Ensign’s affair, this is now less a narrative about Republicans not being able to keep it in their pants than it is about a midlife crisis gone horribly, embarrassingly wrong. As such, I think the calls for him to step down are less about protecting the state party than simply urging a man who needs a break to take one before he cracks.

He’ll be spending the holiday weekend with his, er, in-laws, presumably as a gesture of reconciliation. Which I guess means this soap opera is over — or is it? Exit question: There’s something awwwwfully familiar about the romance novel photoshop that Stewart uses here, isn’t there?

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c
Shut Up, Mark Sanford
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political Humor Jason Jones in Iran

Comments

I agree. The man seems to be in the middle of a break down.

txag92 on July 3, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Oh, geez. I wonder what awkward conversation he’ll have with the in-laws: “So, Mark, what’s Argentina like this time of year?”

Pasalubong on July 3, 2009 at 1:43 PM

You know, Allah, now that you say that, I wonder if that might be part of his game here. Obviously, he has ruined himself of any chance at anything for a very long time, if ever, no matter what he says or does at this point. And any idiot should understand to shut your mouth at this point to minimize damage. Is it possible he just might be piling on himself a little to “take one for the team?”

JamesLee on July 3, 2009 at 1:44 PM

is about a midlife crisis gone horribly, embarrassingly wrong

ahhh behold the power of a wise latina woman’s embrace.

elduende on July 3, 2009 at 1:45 PM

He still can’t find anything funny about Democrats, huh?

JohnJ on July 3, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Normally I think Jon Stewart is really unfunny, but that was hilarious.

Daggett on July 3, 2009 at 1:50 PM

He should have shut up right after the press conference.

myrenovations on July 3, 2009 at 1:50 PM

“God killed Michael Jackson to save your ass! And you gave another interview?”

Good point.

Kini on July 3, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Years of observation lead to my hypothesis: men with eyebrows perceptibly higher in the center of the face than on the outside are generally morons.

DarkCurrent on July 3, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Gov. Soulmate, if your father-in-law asks you if you want to see what gators eat, say no.

myrenovations on July 3, 2009 at 1:57 PM

As one who, prior to this, was very much looking forward to his candidacy, I am just relieved this came out in 2009 and not 2011. Now if I can just find another limited government Federalist and Economic Libertarian leaning candidate…I guess Fred ain’t coming back either…sheesh.

churchill995 on July 3, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Stewart hit the bulls eye.

the_nile on July 3, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Have you guys seen the sanford telenova?

ninjapirate on July 3, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Heh. Well played Stewart. And only like 1 cut to funny face that I saw!

TheUnrepentantGeek on July 3, 2009 at 2:08 PM

jon Stewart is so not funny. Maybe in a kind of perez hilton homosexual, laughing at you, kind of way though..

(BTW..everybody in LA knows that Stewart is a total Homo.)

MaximusConfessor on July 3, 2009 at 2:11 PM

He still can’t find anything funny about Democrats, huh?

JohnJ on July 3, 2009 at 1:46 PM

He actually did a bit about Obama’s Pakistan interviews right after.

Siobhan on July 3, 2009 at 2:12 PM

(BTW..everybody in LA knows that Stewart is a total Homo.)

MaximusConfessor on July 3, 2009 at 2:11 PM

If you’re going to fake being an insider, it helps to remember that he works in NYC… just sayin’. ;)

Siobhan on July 3, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I agree. I think his friends and colleagues that are urging him to resign are concerned for his well being. The more I see of Sanford’s need to explain himself, I too have a growing concern. I’m thinking there’s a lot more going on inside of him.

Texas Gal on July 3, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Oh my gosh, although this was certainly an easy one to hit out of the park, Stewart did it.

That was hilarious.

I really loved the Episcopal preacher.

AnninCA on July 3, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Sanford needs to realize that, when everyone from the conservative pundits to his pastor to Jon Stewart are 100% in agreement, they just might have a point worth considering. Maybe his father-in-law will straighten him out this weekend.

califcon on July 3, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Jon Stewart funny? I’m buying a lottery ticket.

ElectricPhase on July 3, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Fish in a barrel. Sanford’s nuts.

spmat on July 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Siobhan on July 3, 2009 at 2:12 PM

So it’s still the same 100:1 ratio as it was before.

JohnJ on July 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Fish in a barrel. Sanford’s nuts.

spmat on July 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM

“Ignoring the good sense of their libertarian wing, Republicans insist on politicizing what is nobody’s business — an individual’s private, intimate life.

[...]

After all, it, in this era of huge, tragic, fatal failures in Washington, there are worse things than losing your head.

Romantically, that is.”

Rae on July 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Jon coped from Slublog?

Americannodash on July 3, 2009 at 2:50 PM

That was funny and I rarely find Stewart funny. Sanford has given comedians lots of new material to work with. I can’t blame them for using it.

jennifernaz on July 3, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Awesome. Just what the weepy pig deserves, laughing to scorn.

rcl on July 3, 2009 at 3:13 PM

As a South Carolinian I would just like to say…

…well, nothing and I wish Gov Sanford would follow my example.

Or, as we say down here, Gov Sanford, I politely invite you to STFU.

Oh and resign.

SuzEQCitizen on July 3, 2009 at 3:34 PM

He still can’t find anything funny about Democrats, huh?
JohnJ on July 3, 2009 at 1:46 PM

He actually did a bit about Obama’s Pakistan interviews right after.
Siobhan on July 3, 2009 at 2:12 PM

So it’s still the same 100:1 ratio as it was before.
JohnJ on July 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Want some cheese with that whine? You need to stand down if you don’t watch TDS regularly.

Bill Blizzard on July 3, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Sure, and he’s going to give up his ‘soul mate’!! They are going to have to find someplace else to meet those two. Perhaps some rest home for the gone over the edge. I wish I could muster some charity for either of them, but simply can’t.

jeanie on July 3, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Extremely funny and certainly justified. We lucked out on this one because most felt he had potential of national office.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Funny, now if Stewart actually took on the Walpin issue, he would have my ultimate respect

Conservative Voice on July 3, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Have you guys seen the sanford telenova?

ninjapirate on July 3, 2009 at 2:03 PM

That was too funny!

Sanford is an insensitive clod and his marriage is NOT going to survive this..no way..he’s an imbecile for the Argentinian…Yeah…he needs to STFU!

CCRWM on July 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM

ahhh behold the power of a wise latina woman’s embrace.

elduende on July 3, 2009 at 1:45 PM

ROFL!

Rosmerta on July 3, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Okay I came here after non stop Palin and somehow Sanford doesn’t seem as tragic as it did a few days ago. Funny stuff. But what happens to the Republican Party now?

petunia on July 3, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I find the Daily Show moderately amusing.

V-rod on July 3, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Symbolically speaking: First the Ensign train wreck in Nevada followed by the Sanford plane crash in South Carolina and now the ill-timed Palin ship wreck in Alaska. I’m a super-conservative but even I have to be truthful-we’re dealing with the three stooges who through sheer ineptitude have made the Republican party the laughing stock of the world.

Stewart is right. Michael Jackson’s death put Sanford’s mid-life “teenage crush” on the back pages and the fool puts it right back on the front page with another interview.Is he secretly a Democratic spy? And is Palin quitting because her feelings were hurt or is there some other reason?

MaiDee on July 4, 2009 at 11:49 PM