Video: Colin Powell suddenly “concerned” about government spending

posted at 11:35 am on July 3, 2009 by Allahpundit

Correction: He’s a “little concerned.” This from a guy who, not two months ago, declared that “Americans are looking for more government in their life, not less” and who even here responds to a clip of him speaking at the 1996 GOP convention by announcing, “I don’t like slogans anymore like ‘limited government’” — before proceeding to voice his worries about “additional government.”

Exit question: How seriously should we take someone who makes Mark Sanford sound coherent?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

this is the ONLY forum I read that gives me a reason to laugh anymore. As the owner of a small construction business, there isn’t a whole lot left for me to laugh about. I really, really appreciate the humor. Thank you very much to everyone.

elclynn on July 3, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Can the racist Colon Powell be any more irrelevant? What part of BO’s socialist background now surprises the dumbest man on the planet….remember, Bush fooled Colon into claiming Saddam had WMD’s.

David in ATL on July 3, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Hey General Powell, how’s the slogan, “hopenchange” workin’ for you now?

yoda on July 3, 2009 at 1:19 PM

“I never would have believed…”

Really?

I did enjoy the Colin vs. Colin bit at the start of the clip, though.

Whaddatool.

ElectricPhase on July 3, 2009 at 1:22 PM

This is partly your fault, turncoat.

Enjoy your shame.

RedNewEnglander on July 3, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I could swear Gen. Powell plans to give West Point to the British for $.

Jeff from WI on July 3, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Powell=Arnold (and I don’t mean the terminator or the pig)

Jeff from WI on July 3, 2009 at 1:29 PM

heh. You supported the guy, Mr. Powell. You really didn’t see this coming? Then you, sir, are an idiot.

scalleywag on July 3, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Powell seems to be slow and confused. He needs his medicare account capped.

seven on July 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Dunce.

beatcanvas on July 3, 2009 at 1:33 PM

So now the traitor decides that obama isn’t God after all. A little bit late. He shouldn’t have sold America out in the first place.

pitter43 on July 3, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Powell has been depdendent on govt for his whole life. Every job he’s had has involved the government. He was in the military. Then when he retired he worked in government with this and that initiative funded with government money. Then he was Bush’s Sec. of State.

So of course he looks at government as the answer to all problems, it’s all he knows. It’s like a surgeon sees the need to operate on every patient.

angryed on July 3, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Winning in 2012 is going to require accepting disenchanted Obama voters. If Powell is one of the first, I hope there are many more.

dedalus on July 3, 2009 at 1:15 PM

I’m all for welcoming disgruntled Obama voters(we’ll be calling them “Palin Democrats” in 3 years). And I’m even willing to forgive allegedly intelligent Beltway insiders like Powell, Buckley, Parker, and the rest of them for endorsing Obama.

But I have a few conditions before doing so. First, I want the truth as to why they supported Obama when they knew damn well what his agenda was. Don’t give me that “I thought he was a centrist pragmatist” BS. People who follow politics even semi-regularly were well aware that this is what he wanted to do and with expected huge majorities in the House and Senate, he’d have the votes to get it through.

Secondly, they must embrace fiscal conservatism and preach it 24/7. No more of this “American people want big government” nonsense. If you spend 10 minutes talking to people outside the Beltway, you’d realize that’s at the polar opposite end of reality.

Thirdly, they must swear on their life that they will not support Obama in 2012 no matter who the GOP nominates. That means if Palin gets the nod, you stop with the elitist crap and back her 100%.

Do all that and I’ll consider forgiving and welcoming all of you back into the fold.

Doughboy on July 3, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Gen. Powell had his chance and he threw it all away. We should continue to honor him for his military service, but unfortunately, that’s where it must end.

n0doz on July 3, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Powell needs to be exiled to Costa Rica, the POS.

progressoverpeace on July 3, 2009 at 1:40 PM

RINO alert…Colon STFU already!

jwp1964 on July 3, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Nobody likes you, Powell. The Dems won’t forgive you for working under the Bushes and we won’t forgive you for being a turncoat. You have nowhere to go. Go home.

NOBODY likes you.

thebrokenrattle on July 3, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Video: Colin Powell suddenly “concerned” about government spending

Oh BULLSIT Colin…Maybe you’ve forgotten, but we haven’t. You’re a stinking DEMOCRAT in GOP clothing!

byteshredder on July 3, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Colin is suffering from a bad case of racial dementia – very contagious; bad outbreak in 2008 but a cure is in the works.

Ris4victory on July 3, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Another nugget from Colin.

Jim Treacher on July 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Don’t worry your dumb little brain Colin.
I’m sure your buddy Barry will find places to cut.
Like help for the disabled, children’s health care, Veteran’s benefits – you know, people that don’t really need those funds like ACORN does.

PaddyJ on July 3, 2009 at 2:30 PM

That Colin Powell is a real deep thinker. He and Megen McCain should probably form a consulting business together.

MB4 on July 3, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I think you’ve done enough damage, General Powell, so why don’t you just take this opportunity to shut up.

Cicero43 on July 3, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I vote we tell him, “Once you go black, you never come back.”

After all, Powell voted for Obama solely on the basis of skin color. He should be proud of his racist leanings.

northdallasthirty on July 3, 2009 at 3:07 PM

what a Richard Cranium.
I could give 2 sh*ts what this jerk *ff thinks any more.

ColdWarrior57 on July 3, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Did you see the change in demeanor as the interviewer started talking to him. Sourpuss.

davod on July 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Take a look at who contributes to Gen. Powell’s foundation; especially the other foudations. Looks like the same list of ACORN.

barnone on July 3, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Blow it out your butt Colon. You wanted him, you got him. As goes Obama and the nation, as goes you and your reputation. So much for that whole UN fiasco. Your standing by Obama as a repubican is what you will go down in history for.
Jackass.

JeffinOrlando on July 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM

He’s trying to save a brotha from becoming the worst president in the history of America with this interview. Uh, too late for that Colin. Barry is tanking. Isn’t it time for your afternoon nap?

UnEasyRider on July 3, 2009 at 4:28 PM

An irrelevant being, trying to stay relevant. *sigh*

capejasmine on July 3, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Colin Powell, go to hell in your own hand basket.

maverick muse on July 3, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I agree with an earlier post……Powell voted for Obama because he is a black brother. He should have owned up to that when he showed his face on tv instead of lieing to the American people. I don’t care if Obama is purple….I couldn’t vote for him because of his political views and his agenda….his color had nothing to do with me voting for McCain. The man scares me to death!!!!!!!!!!!!! End of story!

Conservative Lady on July 3, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Colin, Colin, Colin,

Once you go black, you can never go back.

David2.0 on July 3, 2009 at 6:06 PM

He didn’t see this coming??? All of us here did! How can he be so naive? He clearly backs Obama because of race.

pageram on July 3, 2009 at 7:16 PM

I got it, Colin: You have built a career by jumping on the correct bandwagon at the proper time. This time (endorsing Obama), your instincts failed you, and you know it…., so you are now strategically repositioning yourself by lurching back toward the GOP — oh, that’s right: You NEVER left the GOP, right? Memo to Colin: You have lost all credibility. Deal with it. The good news for the rest of us that may lie in this story: Even RINO Colin Powell can see that the Obama Express is headed off the cliff in the not-so-distant future.

sanantonian on July 3, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Someone tell Colin to go back to sleep.

GarandFan on July 3, 2009 at 9:07 PM

The government very rarely does anything as the private sector. Powell says he wants a governement that works? Then he should be in favor of limited government, which is not zero government, but a government that fulfills vital functions for which there is no private sector incentive while getting out of the way of the private sector otherwise and allowing maximum freedom consistent with security and protection of private property rights.

willamettevalley on July 3, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Powell can FOAD. He endorsed Obamanation, he too, can live with the results of his own stupidity. My conscience is clear; I didn’t vote for the Obamanation. Powell cannot say the same. I will do what I can to help the economy. The question is, will Powell rebuke the Obama Administration?

john1schn on July 3, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Powell, hope you’re enjoying what you helped create with your slimeball of an endorsement at a critical time for the McCain campaign. Get lost.

therightwinger on July 3, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Stupid dipshit. If he had listened to Rush, Hannity, Levin, Ingraham, US, Palin, etc, etc he would have known this a long, long, time ago. But noooooo, he’s smarter than all of us. How’s that crow taste, Colin?

darwin-t on July 3, 2009 at 10:14 PM

What, you weren’t getting the invites (to all the parties) that you had hoped for?? As a blk/wht women conservative I’m very disappointed in the 1 black (so called conservative). My President Reagan made you and you spit on him and everything he stood for last November.
Go to HELL General Powell!!!

mmcnamer1 on July 4, 2009 at 12:12 AM

His response to the first question started to sound like the General of old, then slipped into having little credibility when he appears to be a friend of President Obama.

Yes he ages well, but I bet he couldn’t get into his dress uniform.

MSGTAS on July 4, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I had always respected this man until the boy king came along. Its good to see him get in tune with his senses again.

bluegrass on July 5, 2009 at 10:29 AM