Is Palin’s national political career over?

posted at 5:45 pm on July 3, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The news of Sarah Palin’s resignation as governor came during my show this afternoon, where we spent most of an hour discussing it with the chatizens and my co-host Duane Patterson.  I’ve had a chance to watch the video of her announcement and read through dozens of Twitter messages back and forth attempting to rationalize this, and still, it simply can’t be rationalized on the basis of what Palin said today.  It’s easily the most bizarre resignation I’ve seen, and just about senseless.

The lame-duck explanation was the most incoherent part of the entire statement:

“Once I decided not to run for re-election, I also felt that to embrace the conventional ‘Lame Duck’ status in this particular climate would just be another dose of ‘politics as usual,’ something I campaigned against and will always oppose. It is my duty to always protect our great state. With that in mind, my family and I determined that it is best to make a difference this summer, and I am willing to change things, so that this administration, with its positive agenda, its accomplishments and its successful road to an incredible future, can continue without interruption and with great administrative and legislative success.”

Bear in mind that the election isn’t next month but about 16 months from now, in November 2010.  Using this logic, Palin should never have run for the first term unless she was willing to run for the second, and not run for either if she wasn’t willing (or legally able) to run for a third.  Politicians don’t enter lame-duck status until their successor has already been elected and they’re running out the rest of the term. And all politicians become lame ducks at some point — and none of them quit just to avoid it.

Also, how can Palin quit because she didn’t want to deal with being a lame duck and claim in the same breath that her administration would “continue without interruption”?  She just interrupted it!  If she thinks that being a “lame duck” would hamper her ability to push her agenda in the state’s capital, how does she think that an unelected Sean Parnell is going to get it done?

If it’s her duty to always “protect” Alaska, then that strongly implies not walking away from the responsibility of governing it — a responsibility she sought, and with which her constituents trusted her to execute.  No one leads by quitting.  No one leads by quitting.  Palin’s abandoning  her post, and at least from her own description, doing it because she doesn’t want to deal with the issues of being a “lame duck,” a status all politicians have to handle at some point.

I’ve seen a myriad of excuses on Twitter and e-mail for this bizarre resignation: her legal bills are too high, she’s putting her family first, she doesn’t want to distract Alaskans because of cheap-shot ethics complaints that are distracting everyone.  None of those make any sense.  If the spotlight was too much, then she shouldn’t have run for office in the first place.  If she’s quitting because people are taking potshots at her, then she’s not the kind of political fighter we thought she was.  The legal bills might be a rational reason, but thoroughly insufficient for betraying the people who put her in charge of Alaska — and her memoirs would have paid for her legal bills many times over, had she completed her term.

There’s really no excuse, and what Rich Lowry also calls her “terrible,” “rambling,” and “not at all persuasive” statement showed that.  Unless there was a serious illness or a serious scandal, the resignation on the grounds Palin gave is simply incomprehensible.  She has destroyed her own credibiity in a single day.

I liked Sarah Palin and supported her inclusion on the GOP ticket last fall.  I thought she had more toughness than this.  It’s a big disappointment, and it’s the end of any hope of Palin getting taken seriously as a politician on the national level in the future.

Update (AP): I was going to tuck this into one of my own posts but it fits better here. Quin Hillyer, senior editor at the Spectator, calls the resignation an “appalling dereliction of duty.”

What Sarah Palin did today was get out before the real challenges of the job (whatever challenges there are for such an easy job) really rear their heads. The going got tough in terms of spurious ethics charges against her, and she took off. That’s cowardly. That’s not sign of staying power. It’s a sign of wanting to get out while the getting is good, in order to become a full-time candidate for a presidential race that won’t culminate for 3 1/2 more years. It’s a little too calculating, by half — or more.

I just listened to her speech announcing her decision, and found it singularly unimpressive. “This was a rambling, bombastic, self-centered, ‘poor me’ kind of speech.” That’s how Mike Carey of the Anchorage Daily News just described her speech on Fox News. I agree. He then said it was, darn, I already can’t remember if he said it was “pitiful” or “pathetic,” but it was some word like that. Again, I agree. It was a speech in which she clearly made a bit for a national audience — not a very effective bid, but a transparent one — but didn’t adequately explain to the people of Alaska why she was relinquishing her duty…

Statesmen hang tough. Sarah Palin is cutting and running. ‘Nuff said.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 34

Firebird on July 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Tuck it in eh? ;)

Upstater85 on July 3, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Her presidentual Career might be over but I would argue she could still be a national force working to fight for conservative issues.

Call it the Goldwater role.

William Amos on July 3, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 3, 2009 at 5:46 PM

8 BALL SAYS……HELLS YES.

angryed on July 3, 2009 at 5:46 PM

I’m hoping this is more strategy than convenience

rightg33k on July 3, 2009 at 5:47 PM

No one is writing Joe biden off after this gaffe

Vice President Joe Biden on Friday threatened that the U.S. would politically disengage from Iraq if sectarian or ethnic violence resumes, a senior U.S. official told reporters.

William Amos on July 3, 2009 at 5:47 PM

What? A “dereliction of duty” like a governor flying half wide around the world to shtup his mistress?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 3, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Is Palin’s national political career over?

Enoxo on July 3, 2009 at 5:47 PM

rob verdi on July 3, 2009 at 5:47 PM

And No.

rightg33k on July 3, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Spoken like true “moderates”.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM

She’s RUNNING !!!

TimeTraveler on July 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Is Palin’s national political career over?

Let’s just wait for our definitive answer until Megan McCain or David Frum speaks on the matter.

MB4 on July 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM

A fitting end.

Terry Silver on July 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I’m tired of this story already. Listen to Thaddeus McCotter talk Iran and Honduras with Greg Gutfeld and Bill Schultz. Now we have Mitt Romney to look forward too. Yipee…

V15J on July 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Call it the Goldwater role.

William Amos on July 3, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Good point. What about Newt? He’s still quite active in the party…

Upstater85 on July 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Yes, she’s finished. The one best quality she had was one of toughness, of taking on the corrupt Alaskan machine and of being a new type of politician who was willing to fight for the ordinary voter and person.

Now, her opponents can simply point that she’s not tough enough to run for office, that she can’t finish the job.

Either there’s another shoe to drop here or….?

SteveMG on July 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM

It depends.

If, in the coming months GOP candidates are begging her to come to their states for fundraising, then no.

But, if in the coming months, now that she is available, she has few to none invitations, then probably.

myrenovations on July 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM

From an Alaskan in Palin circles:

many are writing her political obit now but in the past she’s always
risen from the ashes because she “connects” so well w/ ordinary people.

will she run for prez? I would say “probably” just because that’s her
history/pattern. she ran for lt guv in 2002 and no one thought she had a
prayer. she spent pennies compared to the other 4 and came in 2nd.
then she took that job at the oil & gas commission but quit that to run
for guv. no one gave her a chance and yet she won the primary then went
on to beat Tony Knowles.

honestly, I have to take the resignation at face value — she was weary
of the unending ethics complaints that she had to defend personally —
they are not wealthy people and the debt was staggering. This allows
her to finish her book, go on tour, and never have to worry again about
being a state employee subject to the Executive Branch ethics laws. she
can hopefully knit her family back together and then after the 2010
election, see how she’s polling and how much $$$ she’s raised.

My Alaskan adds: “she has seemed tired … not having any fun anymore. The Auburn thing was such a shot of adrenalin. Why stick around here?”

Upstater85 on July 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM

But we’ll know why she made this move soon enough. Hopefully it wasn’t a health issue.

TCJ on July 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Nope. I like her even more because while she’s worked with staff to prepare for this decision, she tells party hacks, “I have my principles and my priorities straight”.

GOOD FOR HER!!

pjean on July 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Geez, how harsh!

Meanwhile, I’ll get all fired up about the Romeny run in 2012.

(rolls eyes)

NebCon on July 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Not just no but hell NO!

unseen on July 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Sarah is stepping down so she can have the time to get prepared for a presidential run. No doubt about it. Call it feminine intuition.

Conservalicious on July 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Why not finish the job she was paid to do? Who hires (elects) someone who walked off the last job?????

hanzblinx on July 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Ed you are as big an ass a Allahpundit

bill30097 on July 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM

She is running for 2012 and I support her. All you haters that bailout now will be eating dirt.

jencab on July 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM

weewilly on July 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Good point. What about Newt? He’s still quite active in the party…

Upstater85 on July 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM

No one wrote Newt off after his personal problems.’

BTW I want to pose a question to our lefies. YOu went nuts over Bill Clinton’s Impeachment “Over a blowjob” saying that wasnt reason enough to disqualify him from being president.

Now you want to argue this does prevent someone from being president ?

William Amos on July 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM

She has destroyed her own credibiity in a single day.

It would seem so. Too bad too.

darii on July 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM

It’s actually a brilliant move. She was playing a losing game, being the left’s pinata unable to defend herself because of the governor’s job.

She just changed the game from one she couldn’t win, to one where she cannot lose.

And because of that, she will be sworn in as president in 2013.

Rebar on July 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM

I hope she can use her popularity to improve the conservative brand, but as for running for president – as much as I like her – I don’t want her to run. It’d be a landslide for the other side.

tru2tx on July 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM

FWIW, Beck loves this move:

RightWinged on July 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM

It’s easily the most bizarre resignation I’ve seen, and just about senseless.

This from the guy who told us that democrats, “Are just good Americans who have a different idea of how things should be done.” The rest of your post was shrill and emotional and displayed a total lack of any sense of reality. America has benn looking for a strong, selfless leader. She’s ready to take on that mantle. The democrats would let nothing succeed in Alaska while she is governor because they can not afford to let her be successful. They have been undoubtably pumping money into that state to interfere with anything her administration wants to accomplish. The fact that they are all so harsh and shrill, just like you ed, show that the left are freaking out. They know she is unleashed now. Go back to compiling your obamateurism book and promoting yourself.

peacenprosperity on July 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Yes, but she could finish out the term of office and still have time to run.

Fairly or not, this looks like she’s just giving in.

SteveMG on July 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM

The frivolous ethics complaints against her have already racked up over thousands of hours of time, and over $2 million in tax money to defend against.

Can you imagine the liberals when she announced she was not seeking re-election? They would then ramp up the ethics complaints even more over the next couple years in an attempt to put a cloud over her head when she departs. That’s more time and money that Alaska is wasting… for no reason because of liberal idiocy.

She’s doing what she feels is right. She’s never been a conventional politician–and that’s why most people like her.

Enoxo on July 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM

And F*CK you too! You don’t have your favorite punching bag in public office anymore! These naysayers should be happy, they got what they wanted. She said uncle, for her family and herself, so F*CK you! She will NEVER say or do anything that typical snobby, head up the ass liberals will ever agree with! So, F*CK You!
Did I make myself clear?

HornetSting on July 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM

ouch.

sesquipedalian on July 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Yes. She will never be taken seriously as a candidate again.

I say good for her – “retire” and rake in the bucks in the private sector. Why endanger yourself and your family with the craziness that the Democrats have unleashed on us?

Tabris on July 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I just don’t think it’s credible to say that Palin’s toast.

2016 is an eternity – one of the NRO people described it as “several political lifetimes.” Imagine that she takes two years off to take care of her family. As the next election ramps up she takes a fellowship on energy policy at a thinktank and publishes commentary on the election.

Obama wins handily against Huck or Mitt or whoever. The GOP is in ruins, having just lost to a post-health care, post-stimulus, post-cap-and-trade party. Talk about a permanent Democratic majority is rampant.

Palin spends another year publishing editorials about Obama’s second-term agenda – more environmental regulations, immigration, etc.

That still leaves her two her two years to fundraise for a credible primary campaign in a devestated party with no credible leadership. She’ll be just over 50.

omriceren on July 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM

This was the craziest thing I’ve ever seen. She just blew it, and I’m disappointed. I really liked her and thought she had a brilliant future in politics. She validated, just now, everything her critics said about her.

alliebobbitt on July 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Nope.

She’s runnin’. YEAH baby!!!

ExTex on July 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM

bill30097 on July 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Eh Ed and Allah are speaking their minds its a free country. Lets not turn into Obama’s cult followers.

William Amos on July 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM

The Great One comments.

Heh. I’m with Levin.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Theres no way to build a campaign around her after this. Shes indefensible at this point. Shes gone Britney / Jacko / Tom Cruise / Mel Gibson on us…theres no way she comes back.

And to those who consider her somehow valuable in the “goldwater role” of conservative thinker/speaker/defender…consider Goldwater the man, his intellect and ideas, and then consider Palin. Should you still see her in a similar light after a moment’s pondering…good luck.

ernesto on July 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM

A fitting end.

Terry Silver on July 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM

F*CK you too, loser.

HornetSting on July 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM

And because of that, she will be sworn in as president in 2013.

Rebar on July 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM

I think that if she just went up there and took a crap in front of everybody you would applaud it. Bravo she’s a maverick! Lol, you can’t honestly think this is good for her career.

Terry Silver on July 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I just can’t understand this. The ONLY way any of it would make sense is if (as you say) there was a scandal or an illness. Frankly I kinda hope it’s just strange and erratic behavior rather than either of those.

I mean even if she’s inexperienced I can’t imagine her being so stupid as to do this without reason.

Kronos on July 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM

How can Alaska allow such baseless ethics complaints and not one other state?

Speedwagon82 on July 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM

It’s easily the most bizarre resignation I’ve seen, and just about senseless.

All war is deception. Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent’s fate. All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what few can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved.
- Sun Tzu

MB4 on July 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM

You only think it’s bizarre because you have no understanding of what is really going on in the US. A lot of you folks think that these are normal times. You are totally out of touch and hopelessly ignorant of the actual situation and the dire threat this nation faces.

progressoverpeace on July 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM

“Palin is running for president, get used to it.”

~Levin

Upstater85 on July 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM

No matter what all the experts try to do to you Sarah.

I got your back.

What I wouldn’t give for a nation of Sarah Palins.

fogw on July 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Even Sanford didn’t quit. How lame did she think she was? What was she even talking about in that press conference?

alliebobbitt on July 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM

A fitting end.

Terry Silver on July 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM

F*CK you too, loser.

HornetSting on July 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Relax man, I think you need a drink. hahahaha, sara went bye bye

Terry Silver on July 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Ed – Your binky white bread Pawlenty has no shot so enough of the Palin ripping. You know jack.

kevinkristy on July 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM

And because of that, she will be sworn in as president in 2013.

Rebar on July 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM

I just don’t see this. Because part of her resume was that she had done the hard work as governor that would prepare her for the White House. Cutting and running on Alaska undermines that resume.

I don’t care if she was the left’s punching bag. That doesn’t justify quitting the job. Plus what is she going to spend the next 2-2 1/2 years doing? Just defending herself? Playing a game which, even if she can win it, doesn’t yield that much of a prize when it comes to qualifications?

Now she’ll be the butt of even more liberal jokes.

darii on July 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM

And this is exactly why I only read Allah’s posts.

joshlbetts on July 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Probably, but you know what this puts the spotlight on? The Democrat Slime Machine.

ddrintn on July 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM

But not doing ones job, at all, while out campaigning is just dandy …

These people are friggin’ idiots. It’s hard to express how stupid they are. I wonder if they know it.

progressoverpeace on July 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Yes, and so what?

Not everything revolves around politics.

Sackett on July 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Over? Hell no. She did her state a favor by allowing someone else to take control that is not spending half the time defending trumped up ethics charges.

This frees her now to work the lower 48, help other conservative candidates state to state.

Her eye is on the ball. The game now is getting 2010 back to the House.

I think I appreciate her now more than ever.

FireBlogger on July 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM

There will be many many Palinista’s crying in their hot dogs and lemonade tomorrow.

Let us give them a moment of silence out of respect for their loss…

K. Moment’s up.

NAH NAH NAH NAH…NAH NAH NAH NAH…HEYYYyyyYYY GOooOD-BYYYE

Now that we have that attention whore Caribou Barbie out of the cross-hairs, maybe we can get an actual viable 2012 POTUS candidate out on point and get down to the serious business of evicting Obama out of the White House. Who’s it gonna be?

Stay tuned kids!

/kthxbye

SilverStar830 on July 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Perhaps this particular aspect of the Palin discussion would be better in a couple of days.

myrenovations on July 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Why don’t we all just wait and see what happens? I cannot believe that Sarah! has turned her back on principle so easily. There has to be a good explanation.

sondiehl on July 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Now she can travel the Country without the worry about ethics complaints.

Conservalicious on July 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I’d leave too. Her family is being destroyed by the media. You can only expect adolescents to take so much pain and abuse.

As for politics, she even has people in the GOP calling her “not serious”, she is doing the wise thing and chucking it all.

Best of wishes to the Palin family.

clnurnberg on July 3, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Despite my contempt for Palin’s decision to have that fifth child, I had begun to warm up to her. I just hope that this doesn’t mean we are stuck with the dullest white man in the world, Mitt Romney, in 2012. Obama came from out of nowhere to be the Democratic nominee in 2008. This nominee coming out of nowhere strategy is the best we can do in 2012.

thuja on July 3, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Frankly,my dears,I don’t think she gives a rat’s butt about all the speculation.

Her statement rang true. She is more concerned about Alaska. How many Governors have to deal with the crapola she does?

Whatever she chooses,she is a class act.

katy the mean old lady on July 3, 2009 at 5:58 PM

MB4 on July 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Such a senseless resignation is still tough to justify. Sun Tzu didn’t have to justify his actions in debates against competitors. To have thrown such a wrench into Alaska’s state government for no other reason than personal ambition may be a strategic maneuver, but one that ignores the fact that resigning an elected office is serious business that has a real effect on government in Alaska .

To initiate such a strategy seems reckless, and will be hard to justify.

ernesto on July 3, 2009 at 5:58 PM

She is putting the state first. And, she got her pipeline, now Parnell can RUN a state, not spend 80% of their resources fighting shithole ethics charges.

sybilll on July 3, 2009 at 5:58 PM

The Great One comments.

Heh. I’m with Levin.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Simple, yet elegant. I’m still dubious. But I want her to impress me.

darii on July 3, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Well considering that Obama could shoot Joe Biden and the national media would play it off as Obama having a bad day its easy to see why democrats call anyone else a quitter when they have losers like Murtha and Jefferson and Clinton who wouldnt quit even if the country was burning because it is always ultimately about them and not the US.

William Amos on July 3, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Stay tuned kids!

/kthxbye

SilverStar830 on July 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I’m totally not voting for anyone YOU would support.

myrenovations on July 3, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Palin was WINNING. Even some liberals were on her side during the Letterman thing.

Speedwagon82 on July 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM

No, She is one clever woman … checkmate!

redridinghood on July 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM

We are witnessing the birth of something, not a death.

Chuckie on July 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM

What a convenient condemnation from a Pawlenty progressive.

maverick muse on July 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM

No, Palin will start running tomorrow.

izoneguy on July 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Ed: I disagree with you, here. Palin’s political career is only over if she wishes it to be.

Palin is the single most energizing politician to the conservative base.

Always before, when liberals cry about how a certain group’s rights are being ‘violated’, the conservative response is always, ‘What do _those people_ think about it?’ Apply this rubric here. If Alaskans aren’t mad at her, why should the rest of us?

To use a Catholic example of the above, many anti-Christian and anticlerical groups decry the lavishness of the Catholic vestments and (particularly) the vessels required by canon law. These people generally argue that it would be a better thing if the money spent on that would rather be given to the poor. But never, _ever_, do they ask what the poor themselves wish. The poor themselves always wish for the rich vestments and the vessels, because _they understand the sacramental nature of them_.

In regards to this, I’m almost tempted on using liberal tactics against them, and start ethics probes into every major media outlet and _every_ current politician in DC. What is good for the goose…

Scott H on July 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM

In the private sector.. wouldn’t she be able to raise/make as much money as she wanted to make a presidential run?

GoodBoy on July 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM

SilverStar830 on July 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I rest my case.

clnurnberg on July 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Pawlenty had a press conference to announce he wasn’t going to run for re-election. There were more sound tech guys there than people who cared enough to show up.

Palin is FAR from over.

Karen Carpenter sang it best….”It’s only just begun…”

portlandon on July 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Like an athelete who needs to go into training, I hope she is going to the “gym” for a good workout. Get into shape Sarah, and come back with the punch that will send the Obama/Emanuel clique on their way back to Chicago!

afotia on July 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM

I feel extremely sorry for her family and the near constant harassment they endured by the scorched earth haters of the left and commend her if she “cut an run” for the benefit and health of her family.

Topsecretk9 on July 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM

SilverStar830 on July 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Letterman called, wants to know if you can be on the show tonight.

fogw on July 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Gee – people who thought she was an incompetent idiot are now whining because she quit? Wouldn’t you think all her bashers would be happy that she’s turning the reins of Alaska state government over to someone else? Sounds like some people are worried about losing an easy target.

katiejane on July 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM

She’s finished. Denial, not just a river in Egypt around here.

The speech was an incoherent mess. If she can’t handle the spotlight as the governor of Alaska with presidential ambitions, she can’t handle it as a full time candidate or even as president.

Krydor on July 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM

What a convenient condemnation from a Pawlenty progressive.

maverick muse on July 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Yes, Pawlenty has no chance….VP maybe….

izoneguy on July 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM

NO NONONOOONONOON

YOU IDIIOTS!!!!!!!

WHAT THE HELL

TimeTraveler on July 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Just watching the latest clip on Fox. Me thinks the Moma Cuda is PO’d and is going to take a bite of the libtards arse.

Bulldogger on July 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM

The Lame Duck comment is an indication (I believe) that she didn’t intend to run for re-election to begin with thus making her remaining time in office nothing but a “sit-around and do nothing” 16 months. And it CAN be classified as a “sit-around and do nothing”/Lame Duck period of time because she had already accomplished what she wanted to accomplish and even if she hadn’t, wasting 80% of her time defending herself against frivolous accusations wasn’t going to help her accomplish anything else.

LiquidH2O on July 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Sorry Ed, but I think yours is a classic case of not seeing the forest for the trees. The rock ribbed politician stays on as gov and manages to accomplish little but accumulate legal bills and use taxpayer money handling nonsensical political attacks, then pats herself on the back for sticking it out. The human being sees the bigger picture and does the right thing.

Ya know how political pundits always talk about the short memories of the electorate? Why is it that that cannot possibly work in Palin’s favor? Assuming that her resignation is a negative in the first place.

pugwriter on July 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM

I am just puzzled. I’m going to wait and see.
It could be she’s trying to paint herself as a martyr to polarize us against the left… and she might just pull it off.

joe_doufu on July 3, 2009 at 6:01 PM