South Carolinians wonder: Is Sanford nuts?

posted at 5:17 pm on July 2, 2009 by Allahpundit

I don’t know. Is love “nuts”? Is asking your wife if you can visit your mistress on another continent and then going anyway after she tells you no while leaving the state you govern completely in the dark as to your whereabouts, and then coming back and making a total media spectacle of yourself by blubbering about soulmates to reporters “nuts”?

Then yeah, cynics. I guess he’s nuts.

Is it wrong that I’m eagerly awaiting the next trainwreck interview? It’s like a soap opera now. I have to know how it ends.

While mental health experts are reluctant to pin a diagnosis on the governor, their observations of his behavior suggest a chemical imbalance, narcissism and impulsive behavior…

“That’s a troubled man,” said Sen. Harvey Peeler, R-Cherokee, a longtime Sanford ally who this year became frustrated at Sanford’s refusal to take federal stimulus money. “You can see it in his eyes and his body language. I’m concerned about his mental well-being.”

John Crangle, executive director of Common Cause South Carolina, called Sanford “delusional” and said it was obvious the governor has “serious mental problems.”

“The idea that he could carry on this relationship and at the same time be governor, run the Republican governor’s association and have presidential aspirations, it shows an individual who has lost contact with reality,” said Crangle, who has worked as a divorce lawyer. “He sees no limitations. He can do what he wants.”

One psychologist interviewed for the piece speculated he might have a personality disorder based on, and I quote, “Sanford’s history of fighting with the Republican Party and his dogmatic political and moral stances.” Wouldn’t that mean Pelosi has a personality disorder too?

In related news, Jenny Sanford’s still willing to give him another chance as he, ahem, attempts to fall back in love with her. Whether she’s on the level or just continuing her pattern of exceptionally shrewd public statements, I leave for you to judge. Exit question: Show of hands. If Mark ends up leaving her for Maria, how many people think it’ll last? C’mon. I’ve seen “The Blue Angel.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Maybe his wife was a shrew

Jeff from WI on July 2, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I store the slack up there because I don’t like to drag it around on the ground.

The Race Card on July 2, 2009 at 7:39 PM

…that’s the best ya got? Oye.

katy on July 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Maybe his wife was a shrew
Jeff from WI on July 2, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Sheesh! None of us ever thought of THAT!

Well, in that case, Sanford he was most certainly perfectly justified in taking up with the nearest trollop and trashing his marriage vows. Silly of him going all the way to Argentina. I think there’s an “out clause” in the vows…if you pay lots of attention at the wedding.

Thanks, Jeff, for clearing all that up for us.

marybel on July 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Maybe his wife was a shrew
Jeff from WI on July 2, 2009 at 7:49 PM

That was very insensitive of you, Jeff.

myrenovations on July 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM

narcissism

Narcissistic personality disorder is an interesting possibility, but from the little I’ve read about it, it seems those described as having the “disorder” tend to be extremely demeaning of those close to them. I don’t mean they’re said merely to be insensitive, thoughtless, or selfish, but frighteningly mean.

Kralizec on July 2, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Cinton is a narcissist. Obama is a narcissist.

Sanford is just an immature, adodescent, moonstruck fool. There’s no huge diagnosis in the DSM-IV that really covers this.

marybel on July 2, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Just checked DSM-IV-R again…”diarrhea of the mouth” isn’t in there either.

Sanford needs to go to Florida, spend time with his relatives, who will surely tell him to just save himself and STFU.

marybel on July 2, 2009 at 8:33 PM

I definitely second STFU.

disa on July 2, 2009 at 9:02 PM

I don’t find anything wrong with what he’s said. He’s telling the truth because people are asking.

Another example of the unrequited love. . . tobacco. Government loves taxing it and getting more revenue from tobacco than any other entity. But they vilify the industry (which is primarily in the South). They vilify those that work to bring them the tax revenue that they gleefully spend.

The North wanted our cotton, but they didn’t want us to use the apparatus that was set up to fill their insatiable appetite for Southern cotton (slavery). While I’m not apologizing for slavery, if the North didn’t want our crops, we wouldn’t have had slaves. So essentially, they fought the Civil War to punish us for providing them with so much quality crop.

Nobody cares about the South, but everyone exploits us. Yankees move down here and lament our lifestyle, but they love the weather and our property values.

Bottom line: Sanford is irrelevant anywhere but South Carolina. The officials just said he didn’t break any laws. That anyone else is talking about it at this point says more about them than it does Sanford.

ThackerAgency on July 2, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I say leave Sanford alone. No matter what he’s 1000 times better than my bald commie lowlife Governor.

Jeff from WI on July 2, 2009 at 9:18 PM

He needs to have four-hour interviews with a psychiatrist and not the media.

He has classic bipolar 2 disorder symptoms except it usually happens earlier in life. If a Dr. determined Sanford also had psychosis, he could be in a state of erotomania with bipolar 1 disorder. However, I doubt the latter because the mistress is returning his sexual advances.

Jenny should mercifully call the men in the white coats to take him to the funny farm. She and her attorney probably want the globetrotting philanderer to keep burying himself with kiss and tell stories.

If sexy Sanford does not get some meds, his only future is to become a trashy romance novelist.

HellCat on July 2, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Yes he’s nuts. Never mind whether he should be governor. I Q whether he should be outside institutional care.

james23 on July 2, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Sanford is the definition of nuts. If you look up nuts in the dictionary, you will see his picture. Seriously.

mbs on July 2, 2009 at 10:00 PM

It’s probably an unconscious means of destroying the political career, which is not something he ever cherished – he was a self-term-limiting 3-term congressman who kept his word, accepted no PAC money,never bought a house in DC, and came home on weekends until he retired. He was virtually drafted by SC Republicans when faced with the four or five other top stars (former Gov. Beasley, AG Condon, SoS Miles, and another heavy-hitter or two) of the party entering the gubernatorial primary to oppose the reelection of Democrat Jim Hodges and his rolling disaster of an administration. They realized it was time for something different, and Sanford was it.
`
He was against excessive spending and taxing, and for following basic conservative principles. Unfortunately, our state has a weak Governor and a strong legislature which is corrupt down to the last man and woman, and even the cockroaches which are often indistinguishable from the distinguished members.
`
Sanford had accepted he would be a voice in the wilderness, but kept fighting the good fight – until finally it started bringing pressure to run for President, a job he never wanted in a city he hated.
`
I think he self-destructed because he couldn’t bear to tell his ambitious wife and supporters he didn’t want to seek the Oval Office. But at this point it doesn’t matter, and he should just resign and sort out his private life in private.
`

Adjoran on July 2, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Love chemically can make you a little crazy. It’s scientifically documented.

That said, Stanford’s behavior is unacceptable since it’s adulterous and he should resign… just like Bill Clinton should have resigned. (though Clinton was a step worse as a sexual harrasser)

scotash on July 3, 2009 at 3:05 AM

I’ve started liking the guy. I hope he moves to Argentina and just relaxes.

Nonfactor on July 3, 2009 at 4:15 AM

His cross to bear; a beautiful, rich wife,four great kids and being granted the honor of governing the welfare of your neighbors as their chief executive.

He is a whacked out hypocrite. A self-absorbed pile of shit. I’d spit on him if I saw him in public.

Of course that’s just my opinion.

rcl on July 3, 2009 at 5:00 AM

Of course that’s just my opinion.

rcl on July 3, 2009 at 5:00 AM

Beautiful rich wife?? What if his wife was ugly and poor? Is it OK to cheat on her then?
Four great kids? What if the kids were monsters? Is OK to cheat then?

I think this sets a terrible example of how to treat a poor, ugly wife who bore you monsters as kids.

Jeff from WI on July 3, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Jeff from WI on July 3, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Point taken. I’ll search out proper counseling.

rcl on July 3, 2009 at 2:34 PM