Krauthammer: Palin isn’t a serious candidate for president

posted at 4:40 pm on July 2, 2009 by Allahpundit

Oh yes, he went there. We’ve been having a running debate on Twitter this afternoon about Sarahcuda and my contention that criticism of her is verboten among righty blog readers, HA’s included. This thread will be an interesting test case. Most of the heat Kraut takes will be for his contention that “You cannot sustain a campaign of platitudes and clichés over a year and a half if you’re running for the presidency.” Didn’t Captain Hopenchange do exactly that? Well, yes and no. Granted, the most memorable line he uttered in 18 months on the trail was “Yes we can,” but he’s done countless policy interviews, debated Hillary 20 times and McCain three, and held numerous press conferences. The TOTUS jokes are fun but The One’s perfectly capable of straying off script when need be. Is Palin? She seems at ease when discussing energy or life issues but the jury’s still out on most everything else, which is why Kraut feels comfortable asserting that she hasn’t (yet) brushed up on national policy the way we all thought she would.

While we’re on the subject of uttering anti-Palin heresies, I guess Frank J. from IMAO and I are the only two who thought the ‘Cuda came off worse in the Palin/Schmidt campaign e-mail exchange about the Alaska secessionist party published this morning by CBS. Quote:

“That’s not part of their platform and [Todd] was only a ‘member’ bc independent alaskans too often check that ‘Alaska Independent’ box on voter registrations thinking it just means non partisan,” Palin wrote. “He caught his error when changing our address and checked the right box. I still want it fixed.”

Palin was attempting to bend the facts ever so slightly to fit neatly into her version of events. In truth, the box that Alaskans have the option of checking when registering to vote states the full name of the party, “Alaskan Independence Party,” not “Alaska Independent,” which would make an error by uncommitted voters more plausible.

Clearly irritated by what he saw as Palin’s attempt to mislead her own campaign and apparently determined to demonstrate that the ultimate authority rested with him, Schmidt put the matter to rest once and for all with a longer response to everyone in the e-mail chain.

“Secession,” he wrote. “It is their entire reason for existence. A cursory examination of the website shows that the party exists for the purpose of seceding from the union. That is the stated goal on the front page of the web site. Our records indicate that todd was a member for seven years. If this is incorrect then we need to understand the discrepancy. The statement you are suggesting be released would be innaccurate. The innaccuracy would bring greater media attention to this matter and be a distraction. According to your staff there have been no media inquiries into this and you received no questions about it during your interviews. If you are asked about it you should smile and say many alaskans who love their country join the party because it speeks to a tradition of political independence. Todd loves his country

We will not put out a statement and inflame this and create a situation where john has to adress this.”

The leak is one thing, but on the merits Schmidt’s strategy is the better of the two. Why inflame the story, with bad information no less? Reading this, the Cuda’s decision to fire back at Levi Johnston in press releases starts to make more sense. Like Frum says, before Palinistas start filling her coffers, they’ll at least want some evidence that she can mount a competent national campaign. Right?

I’ll leave you with two pro-Sarah pieces for balance, one from Republican bigwig Fred Malek calling her “smart, curious, hard working, charming, and effective” and attesting that he’s personally seen her hold her own in private discussions on policy with heavy hitters. The other’s from Jim Geraghty, theorizing why it is that the left despises her so. He’s certainly got part of the answer — happy, successful pro-life conservative women are a grievous offense to leftist feminism — but I think he misses the element of sheer contempt they have for her intellect. To the left, I think, she embodies a sort of comfort with ignorance that they think characterizes most/all conservatives. Why they’ve come to see her that way is complicated (part of it’s probably educational pedigree, part of it’s her affinity for rural pastimes like hunting, part of it’s the Katie Couric interview and the canned answers she gave at the debate with Biden), but I think it’s a mistake to assume that their antipathy is rooted in nothing but fear and defensiveness. That’s not true of the right vis-a-vis The One, after all. Is it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 20

Tah Dah!!!!!!!

portlandon on July 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM

That’s what I’ve been saying. Glad to have a political genius and intellectually honest man like Charles Krauthammer on my side.

nickj116 on July 2, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Early Days

Dr Evil on July 2, 2009 at 4:42 PM

When CK is her campaign mgr he can tell her that up close
and personal.

Until then…

LankyLou on July 2, 2009 at 4:42 PM

part of it’s her affinity for rural pastimes like hunting,

Allah that is called Subsistance. AKA Food.

Ever had fresh caugth Salmon or Moose, Elk, Mountain Goat or Sheep? How about bear?

You call it hunting.. I call it food.

upinak on July 2, 2009 at 4:42 PM

900 comments or bust.

homesickamerican on July 2, 2009 at 4:42 PM

I thought I smelled bullshit – then I read it.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 2, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Lord knows that you can’t win Presidential campaigns on cliches and platitudes…

“Yes, we can!”

cthulhu on July 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM

I expect that if Palin chooses to run in 2012 or beyond, she will have become a much better national candidate than she was as a VP candidate.

myrenovations on July 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Dissenter! Attack! Attack!

amerpundit on July 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM

I like her but Charles is right on.

happy2behere on July 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM

I love Sarah, but she just doesn’t have command of enough info. Looks like it’s Huck in 2012.

marklmail on July 2, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Normally I agree with Charles.

But not always.

Run Sarah Run.

fogw on July 2, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Sarah Palin.

Rawr. (Dinosaur for “I love you.”)

Daggett on July 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM

marklmail on July 2, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Huck? That’s a joke, right?

capitalist piglet on July 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Even the great and powerful Obama says it only takes 4 months of reading briefing books to run for president.

myrenovations on July 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Well, obama was our first affirmative action president. He was not the most qualified, but dammit, doesn’t it make all those independent’s hearts swell when they see such a historic……failure.

Sarah, being white, cannot qualify for that pass, even though, yes, she is a woman.

I always look forward to Charles Krauthammer’s voice of reason on Fox’s panel. He has a point, but for right now, Sarah is our best hope for 2012. Until someone can convince me otherwise, I am all for her.

HornetSting on July 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Not Huck 2012, but if Mitt had an economic solution he could be a contender.

happy2behere on July 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM

All of this Palin bashing is really really good advertising
for her book.

Will she or won’t she come out with guns blazing ?

LankyLou on July 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM

You’re talking about many of the same people who dumped money into Fred’s coffers as he put up a lazy, poor excuse for a campaigner.

Lord knows that you can’t win Presidential campaigns on cliches and platitudes…

“Yes, we can!”

cthulhu on July 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Obama didn’t win on platitudes like “Yes, we can”. He won because it was an anti-incumbent year and the media loved him. In just about any other year, he would’ve been a joke.

amerpundit on July 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Krauthammer is a RINO.

Weight of Glory on July 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Can’t be elected running on Cliche’s and Platitudes for a year and a half?

What the hell did Obama do? Just that.

I like Krauthammer, but I think he is a little off base on this one.

But maybe he was just saying that a Republican can’t get away with it because Republican want substance and Democrats just want window dressing.

PappaMac on July 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Sarah can make her money as a serious campaigner for whoever the candidate is – provided it is not some RINO.

warriorlawyer on July 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Allah that is called Subsistance. AKA Food.

You call it hunting.. I call it food.

upinak on July 2, 2009 at 4:42 PM

I’ve had venison, elk, wild boar, pheasant…

I call it good…

ladyingray on July 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I agree with the Kraut, unfortunately.

Obama wasn’t a serious candidate either — even now, he is only capable of speaking in cliches and platitudes — but he had an ace in the hole: dark skin. And in our guilt-addled PC culture, dark skin trumps boobs any day.

Splashman on July 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Obama did.

Dingbat63 on July 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Lord knows that you can’t win Presidential campaigns on cliches and platitudes…

“Yes, we can!”

cthulhu on July 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM

That only works if you have the MSM on your side.

angryed on July 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

I’ll bet he voted for Obama.

Tommy_G on July 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

marklmail on July 2, 2009 at 4:44 PM

HornetSting on July 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

amerpundit on July 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM

He won, because America stinks of Socialism.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Palin has been overseas for the past week and may still be.

Why are so many people dumping on her when she is, in fact, minding her own business?

BuckeyeSam on July 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Mr. Krauthammer is merely looking into the crystal ball a little early. Assuming that Gov. Palin does the homework and gets the practice all of the discussion could change.

Romney is a good candidate and Palin could be as well. I agree with Mr. Barnes, Palin is so hated and reviled that it bespeaks of some serious fear on the part of the elites.

As much as I’d like to see Obama just go away, the presidential campaign is years away. There is plenty of time for Palin to become an effective and serious candidate.

drewmesq on July 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

I’ve had venison, elk, wild boar, pheasant…

I call it good…

ladyingray on July 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I am having fresh caught flounder tonight. I call it DINNER!

upinak on July 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Wasn’t Reagan criticized for the same thing?

I admire CK and, to a certain extent agree with him, BUT regardless of who the R candidate is they’re in for a far rougher ride than Obama ever got. If they’ve got a foreign and domestic policy view that’s worth holding it’s going to differ from the current administration and the MSM. I believe Palin can do it, but she’ll still be wrong according to the MSM. She has to go around them.

tgibson1962 on July 2, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Meh. Palin certainly needs to put some more meat on her views, but she’s been doing okay, so far.

As to the secessionist party, so what? The fact is that if Alaska had ever seceded, the US would have access to tons more oil and gas. That is a serious issue.

And the way that the federal government is totally out of control now, threats of secession by Texas and Alaska are some of the only things that might save this nation (though they aren’t really forthcoming at the moment).

progressoverpeace on July 2, 2009 at 4:48 PM

That must have given AP an orgasm.

ppaint on July 2, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Krauthammer is a RINO.

Weight of Glory on July 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Heh. Ronald Reagan could come back and come out against Palin and he’d be called a RINO.

Obama did.

Dingbat63 on July 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

He really didn’t. The media was in love with him so avoided controversial stories and independents would’ve voted for Lucifer if the other option was a Republican.

amerpundit on July 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM

I’m just kidding, by the way.

Weight of Glory on July 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM

When she didn’t give any interviews for two weeks after the convention, it made lefties think she was doing the “Dick Cheney ignore the press” act. And her eventual interviews with Gibson and Couric were underwhelming to say the least. It was also during this time when the blogosphere was destroying any libertarian cred she ever had and making her Pat Robertson in a dress.

Speedwagon82 on July 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM

I like Palin as well but he hit the nail on the head about what has always bugged me about her. I’ve listened to her not speak that way when it’s something she knows about (digging around on Alaska’s NPR site oddly enough). But that’s most assuredly her biggest hurdle.

oddjob1138 on July 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM

The important thing to realize about that interview was that all three on the panel said that she had the talent and the time to change whatever she is lacking and be a good candidate. She just needs the desire and if it were me I would tell everyone to go take a flying leap. But should she decide to make the effort I would like to support her efforts.

Cindy Munford on July 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Allah that is called Subsistance. AKA Food.

You call it hunting.. I call it food.

upinak on July 2, 2009 at 4:42 PM
I’ve had venison, elk, wild boar, pheasant…

I call it good…

ladyingray on July 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I prefer fried moonbat, with a mint mustard dipping sauce.

HornetSting on July 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Maybe if the cripple made it up to Alaska once in a while he’d understand her more.

/Joe Klien

omnipotent on July 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM

“Obama should run in 2012 to lay the groundwork for 2016. There’s no way he will win against Hillary”. (paraphrase)

-the Hammer

I love the guy. But analysis on American politics three years out is hard for ANYONE

chilly_willy on July 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM

I am having fresh caught flounder tonight. I call it DINNER!

upinak on July 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Aw man…wish I were there….i’d call is SUPPER!!!!

ladyingray on July 2, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Krauthammer is a RINO.

Weight of Glory on July 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM

That’s idiotic.

nickj116 on July 2, 2009 at 4:50 PM

I prefer fried moonbat, with a mint mustard dipping sauce.

HornetSting on July 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM

I save that for special occassions…

ladyingray on July 2, 2009 at 4:50 PM

HAHAHAHA! Imagine actually saying this with Obama sitting as president…doesn’t he realize what he was saying?
He is so intelligent, then this pops out….Transperancy…Hope and Change…Yes We Can….Change you can believe in…Our Time for Change…A New Beginning…America , we cannot turn back. We cannot walk alone…Stand for Change…Oraganize for Change…Our Time for Change…Change” versus “More of the Same…Help me take back America…We must pledge once more to walk into the future…America , we cannot turn back. We cannot walk alone…Eight Years is Enough…and a few more I am sure I missed…That was his campaign.

right2bright on July 2, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Palin has been overseas for the past week and may still be.

BuckeyeSam on July 2, 2009 at 4:47
———————————
They’re trying to goad her into fight.

She ain’t playing along

LankyLou on July 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

drewmesq on July 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

She was both an effective and serious VP candidate in 08. Unfortunately she had the McCain anchor wrapped around her neck.

fogw on July 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

amerpundit on July 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM

No doubt. Don’t get me wrong, I really like Palin. But I don’t want to focus in on her so soon. I want more.

Weight of Glory on July 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

I have to agree with CK. Sarah just doesn’t have the gravitas…yet..and maybe not ever. I’m wit’ Mitt, for now.

4Freedom on July 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

I like Krauthammer. He is an intellectual, and I look forward to seeing Sarah Palin win him over. It is kind of hard for Krauthammer to see whats going on outside of Washington DC when you believe existence ends at the city limits.

portlandon on July 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

The Left and the PimpMedia have managed to make Sarah into a

CELEBRITY

once you go celebrity, you can’t get taken seriously–unless you’re a leftoid moron, of course, like Senator Smalley of MN

They’ve implanted that image of Tina Fey too deeply, and too many Americans believe that Sarah said that line about seeing Alaska from her house

Rudy, we need you…………..

Janos Hunyadi on July 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Wasn’t Reagan criticized for the same thing?

tgibson1962 on July 2, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Reagan was giving famous, policy-intense speeches back in the late 50s and 60s.

amerpundit on July 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

She cannot be compared to Mr. Obama. She actually has more experience but she doesn’t have an adoring press and a guilty population to cover any shortcomings.

Cindy Munford on July 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

right2bright on July 2, 2009 at 4:50 PM

You swatted that one out of the ballpark.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

we’ll see how she does in 2 yrs if she’s running then.

jp on July 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Sarah Palin is not a viable POTUS/VPOTUS candidate. Too much damage has been done.

txag92 on July 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

That’s idiotic.

nickj116 on July 2, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Yes, it is indeed that.

Weight of Glory on July 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

harry belafonte

Krauthammer is wrong, Romney isn’t a serious candidate, but I agree with him and Barnes that Palin needs to do some homework before she’ll be a serious contender.

Like Frum says

LOL! Pathetic.

FloatingRock on July 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

CK made the point of how clean Mitt is, was that supposed to mean SP isn’t just as clean? I haven’t heard a lot about Mitt’s foreign policy credentials either. Is Mass. sending out checks, or have they when Mitt was Gov.? I still say Mitt is more the neocon then Sarah.

fourdeucer on July 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

I’ll bet he voted for Obama.

Tommy_G on July 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Again, that’s idiotic.

nickj116 on July 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Reagan was giving famous, policy-intense speeches back in the late 50s and 60s.

amerpundit on July 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

he was also called a ‘dunce’ by the elite in Washington, i.e. ‘the establishment’

jp on July 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

fogw on July 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

+1000.

HornetSting on July 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I like Palin, but I’m not about to become so devoted to her as to jump on anyone who offers up criticism — especially those on our side who explain what needs to be done to rectify the situation.

amerpundit on July 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I have no doubt at all that Sarah, if she chooses to run, will have the best advisors money can buy, and will have boned up on all foreign policy issues LONG BEFORE she announces her intentions. Serendipitous that her book will come out and be #1 on the NYT Best Sellers list for many weeks in a row. I predict it will dwarf Hillary’s book sales.

Sorry, Charlie, I think you’re way off on this one. 2 years is a long time.

Matticus Finch on July 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Holy shiite!

Go to Drudge right now: Michael Jackson is dead!

Bishop on July 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Not only did Obama do nothing but platitudes, but the Kraut was in full swoon for Obama by last fall. Tell you what, his pet interests would be in much better hands today if Sarah were POTUS.

james23 on July 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Nah, I’ve already started.
Besides, if Obama could win, how hard can it be?

joe_doufu on July 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Again, that’s idiotic.

nickj116 on July 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Yeah, you keep saying that, so what do YOU think, skippy?

HornetSting on July 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Palin has some work to do, but the 2010 election is not here yet. She has proven to be a quick study on other topics.

Besides, if AllahPundit agrees with something, it is often wrong.

Right_of_Attila on July 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Holy shiite!

Go to Drudge right now: Michael Jackson is dead!

Bishop on July 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Ahhh he died last week… where have you been?

upinak on July 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

It’s been less than a year since the campaign. She needs to stick to her lasts, gain some fluency outside energy policy and government reform, and we’ll see in 2011.

I’d love to see her spend the next 3 years building a policy network, learning from it, and developing Republican bench strength from local officeholders all the way up to Congress.

The media treatment of her was unfair. She needs a reinvention, and a rehearing from the American people. I think people will give her that. But she needs the last hearing to end first, and it hasn’t. She’s extended the present moment, and it wasn’t necessarily a good moment.

DrSteve on July 2, 2009 at 4:54 PM

amerpundit on July 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Lol, I know, right?

nickj116 on July 2, 2009 at 4:54 PM

txag92 on July 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

if that turns out to be true, its all the more reason to hate McCain and especially the MSM.

wonder where she’d be right now, had she not been the VP but given the same convention speech?

jp on July 2, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Screw Krauthammer. He hasn’t been paying attention to a goddamn thing Palin’s done over the last several months. I pay attention to Palin’s actual day-to-day work and she’s been focusing on issues and hasn’t been speaking in platitudes.

The problem she’s facing is that every few months some a$$ dregs up the ’08 campaign and wants to blame her for John McCain’s defeat.

Screw you, too, A.P. The idea that I’m supposed to make some categorical judgment (or in any other way give a crap) about Palin because of some silly emails sent on the campaign trail is ridiculous. That was a poorly reported article that I could debunk several ways over, and further, the fact that Sarah Palin might not have always had the right ideas about press strategy is not an argument for not supporting her (or simply giving her a chance). It’s an argument for not making her press secretary of her own campaign.

You apparently think that Barack Obama or George W, or Reagan designed his own field plans and spun every reporter by himself or never had a clunker of an idea. There’s a reason candidates hire campaign managers. And it’s not to knife them in the back like that p.o.s Schmidt.

Robert_Paulson on July 2, 2009 at 4:54 PM

My sense is that we need her as an informed mouthpiece on energy and social values, as well as firing up the base when necessary. I absolutely adore Palin, and see her as a rock star for the Right…but that does not mean she is fit specifically for the presidency. We must not allow ourselves to fall blindly in love with a personality, regardless of what she represents and means to us individually. Due in large part to the emphasis on POTUS as a singularly influential social and political figure, and our own warm-fuzzies about Reagan, we want an icon to lead us into battle against Leftist machinations. We want someone who can permanently shift the center of politics back to its appropriate place.

But that doesn’t mean she’s that certain type of leader that it takes to be a great president. Time will tell, but I don’t think she’s ready just yet.

Flyover Country on July 2, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I am having fresh caught flounder tonight. I call it DINNER!

upinak on July 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

I am so jealous. I love fresh flounder. Even the flounder I caught in New Jersey was terrific, radiation and other pollutants and all.

Daggett on July 2, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Like Frum says

Jeeze, AP, if you wanted an authoritative quote, why didn’t you give us something from that McCain girl….

FloatingRock on July 2, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I love how Palin backers just completely ignore every poll that came out that showed independents growing distaste for her as the campaign wore on. If you can’t win independents you can’t win a national election.

Terry Silver on July 2, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Krauthammer is a RINO.

Weight of Glory on July 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Nah, Krauthammer is just a guy who has a lot of disdain for anyone that even vaguely smells of (eeeewwwww!) “redneck”.

Ya know, really, maybe Sarah Palin SHOULD just say “screw it”, retire from public life, and let the moderates who know so much better lead us all to the Promised Land. A lot of this is getting realllllly old.

ddrintn on July 2, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Daggett on July 2, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Well I also have Halibut, Pacific Cod and Red Snapper.

:) rubbing it in a bit!

upinak on July 2, 2009 at 4:55 PM

jp on July 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Indeed. But we’re talking about different circumstances.

Most Americans only became exposed to her during the campaign, when they were exposed to the idea from all around them that she’s an ignorant dunce. Many easily bought into the narrative.

Reagan, on the other hand, was a relatively famous actor, was giving speeches on the circuit, spoke at conventions decades before he ran for president, and worked on prominent conservative issues back in the early 60s. The narrative isn’t as easily bought into.

amerpundit on July 2, 2009 at 4:55 PM

james23 on July 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Tru dat. I wanted to throw my couch at the television when the hammer said that obama did such a bang up job at the debates, when clearly, he was tripping over his tongue. I like the hammer, but he has always had an issue with Sarah.

HornetSting on July 2, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I like Palin, but not at the top of the ticket. And frankly, right now she needs to get out of the lime light and focus on her current job — governing Alaska. I’m starting to get Sarah Palin fatigue.

Kelli_D on July 2, 2009 at 4:55 PM

In order to overcome the hoops that the media will no doubt throw down in 2012, Sarah needs to study up. Once she does his work, she will be a nasty force to be reckoned with. I guarantee you the media in 2012 will censor her, or attempt to limit her interviews!!!!

conservador on July 2, 2009 at 4:55 PM

txag92 on July 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Yeh sure. Talk about damaged goods, Obama/Biden are in office. Stop buying into the MSM’s propaganda.

fogw on July 2, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Reagan was giving famous, policy-intense speeches back in the late 50s and 60s.

amerpundit on July 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

I didn’t say he wasn’t. What I said was “Wasn’t he criticized to the same thing?” Wasn’t he? I mean Republicans are always dummies and Democrats are geniuses, right?

tgibson1962 on July 2, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Palin is great and I hope she’s a strong contender for 2012 (if the time is right), but we have to be frank about her weaknesses. She’s a politician, for pete’s sake. For me, that’s a huge strike against anyone.

frankj on July 2, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Yeah, you keep saying that, so what do YOU think, skippy?

HornetSting on July 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I’ve made my opinion well known (it mirrors Krauthammer’s) on another thread, and I got told over and over that “I have a lot to learn” because I’m only 22.

That’s why I wrote that I was glad Krauthammer had my back on this.

nickj116 on July 2, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Oh my GAWD! Michael Jackson is dead and some white woman named Sarah Faucet or something is dead too!

Bishop on July 2, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Didn’t Krauthammer notice that we just elected a president based on an almost-completely insubstantial campaign?

For all of his criticism of The Kenyan, Krauthammer’s got a mild, sporadic case of the Obama vapors. Also, his DC insider status is showing.

tsj017 on July 2, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Well I also have Halibut, Pacific Cod and Red Snapper.

:) rubbing it in a bit!

upinak on July 2, 2009 at 4:55 PM

[cry] Divorce your husband and marry me. Or if you’re a guy, get a sex change and THEN marry me.

Daggett on July 2, 2009 at 4:57 PM

“She has to stop speaking in clichés and platitudes.”

What? You mean like the president speaks?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 2, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Obama has been in the office for 6 months and she’s finished. Give it Romney, the fraud. Good call. No doubt she has to improve, but Mitt has to convince people that he isn’t a liar.

V15J on July 2, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Terry Silver on July 2, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Must have been all of those positive media reports, huh?

Matticus Finch on July 2, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Like Frum says,

no thanks

joey24007 on July 2, 2009 at 4:57 PM

If you can’t win independents you can’t win a national election.

Terry Silver on July 2, 2009 at 4:55 PM

What happens if one cannot keep independents?

myrenovations on July 2, 2009 at 4:57 PM