Video: Pelosi’s national energy tax

posted at 5:35 pm on July 1, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The NRCC hits Democrats over what it calls the largest tax hike in American history — cap and trade. I’d say that they should qualify that with the words so far, but otherwise, they have a point. Fortunately, as this video shows, the Democrats make it for them:

We should remember this with the eight Republicans who voted for the cap-and-trade bill, too, but obviously the issue here is control of the House. If Republicans have a shot at victory in 2010, it will be in the lower chamber; the numbers in the Senate make capturing control a huge long shot, but it could happen in the House. The NRCC has the right idea by painting it with the Nancy Pelosi extremist brush and by focusing on the fiscal policy that threatens to bankrupt the nation.

According to the NRCC, they’re running the ad against these Democratic incumbents:

Space (OH-18)

Kilroy (OH-15)

Halvorson (IL-11)

Grayson (FL-08)

Boccieri (OH-16)

Markey (CO-04)

Braley (IA-01)

Gordon (TN-08)

Teague (NM-02)

Hill (IN-09)

Boucher (VA-09)

Snyder (AR-02)

Skelton (MO-04)

Periello (VA-05)

It’s a good start, but they need to make this the central point of the broader campaign, and take it to all 435 districts next year.

Comments

Good ad.

myrenovations on July 1, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I understand that pick forks and feathers sales are booming!

grapeknutz on July 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Shout it from the rooftops………

Seven Percent Solution on July 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Gibbs said that is not what they meant…email in your questions and he will explain…

right2bright on July 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Just got off the phone with a moonbat friend. He’s has no idea what crap & trade is.

What does that mean? Are we the only ones paying attention?

Knucklehead on July 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Halvorson (IL-11)

My District. Take her down.

Time for another contract with America moment. Won’t resonate as much as 1994 due to fully off the wagon 2000-2006, but it should still have a postive effect.

WashJeff on July 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM

What does that mean? Are we the only ones paying attention?

Knucklehead on July 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM

It means we need a civics test before one can vote.

WashJeff on July 1, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Are we the only ones paying attention?

Knucklehead on July 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Unfortunately, yes.

txag92 on July 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Are we the only ones paying attention?

Knucklehead on July 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I hate to say it, but I believe we are.

thomasaur on July 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM

The younger people (in their 20′s) don’t know $hite about anything. And they vote.

cjs1943 on July 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM

We know the gutter and we know the stink of the street
For not much longer will we press through your festering heat
All you tyrants who tower above us
You who give us the smack of your rod
Soon now we will give you the gutter
We will give you the judgment of God!

The world may be ugly, but each man must do what he must
Give in overreaching tyrants, in a year you will be dust
Soon now our Lady of Justice will possess you
In her breathtaking, hair-raising bed
She will tingle your spines as she captures your hearts and your heads!

PercyB on July 1, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Knucklehead on July 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Unfortunately it’s not just the moonbats who don’t know what it means. I have tried to enlighten “friends” who have now said they don’t WANT to know what is happening around them, because it’s too stressful to think about…. wah.

tru2tx on July 1, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Hill (IN-09)

Baron Hill barely won election. Indiana’s 9th district is really split, but this might throw that back to the Repubs.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 1, 2009 at 5:49 PM

What does that mean? Are we the only ones paying attention?

Knucklehead on July 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Hence the problem, no one really knows what it “means”, we don’t know how large the burden will be…no one still hasn’t read and understood all the contents in the bill.
We know what Cap and Trade is…but we don’t know what IS IS…or should it be IS I$…
I think as items are unveiled, the bill will be another disaster, and I think this insures us of winning back the House….another bill like this, like Health, and we get the senate.

right2bright on July 1, 2009 at 5:49 PM

tru2tx on July 1, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I have experienced the same thing and have decided to sequester myself away from these fools. (besides my wife says that it is impolite to call people idiots)

thomasaur on July 1, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Why do I know about Cap & Trade but none of my co-workers have a clue?? Oh – that’s right… I live in Seattle.

Go figure.

texan_forever on July 1, 2009 at 5:53 PM

It sort of ticks me off that Patrick Murphy PA 8 isn’t on that list. Assuming they are targeting Dems voting for cap and tax in right leaning or Republican districts, Murphy should fit that bill. I want him gone.

msmveritas on July 1, 2009 at 5:54 PM

(besides my wife says that it is impolite to call people idiots)

thomasaur on July 1, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Yeah…I just call them liberals instead.

WashJeff on July 1, 2009 at 5:54 PM

We had to listen in the last few elections to the garbage about how the Democrats are the party of financial responsibility. At least those days are over, and it will be a welcome change to see ads beating on the Democrats wild and orgasmic spending over and over again until they explode.

pedestrian on July 1, 2009 at 5:55 PM

The younger people (in their 20’s) don’t know $hite about anything. And they vote.

cjs1943 on July 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM

agreed. The “American Idol” generation with their “whatever” attitude can’t collectively fill a thimble with their political awareness.

That is why we have Odumbo for president.

jbh45 on July 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Skelton (MO-04)

Ha, good luck with that one. I was born in that district and my parents still live there. I would rate the chances of Skelton being unseated by anything other than retirement or death at lower than the chances that Obama will call a Prime Time Presser, announce he is a Kenyan-born Muslim, is bigoted (using that word) against Whites and has never slept with Michelle, the kids aren’t his and he hates America.

Rogue on July 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM

I have a very bad feeling about this.I`m sceptical about the Senate.

LSUMama on July 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM

tru2tx on July 1, 2009 at 5:48 PM

My experience as well. Cap & Trade, what is that?

bazil9 on July 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM

cjs1943 on July 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Whoa there killer. I am 23 and I am also the most conservative person I know. I also know more about politics and U.S. History than anybody I know.

Joe Caps on July 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM

And the RNC had dammed well cut the legs out from under those 8 stupid bastards that voted for it!

GarandFan on July 1, 2009 at 6:00 PM

This is entirely due to the Kyoto Protocol, the U.N. and the liberals trying to get revenge for the U.S. being the most prosperous nation on earth.

fourdeucer on July 1, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Hence the problem, no one really knows what it “means”,
right2bright on July 1, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I think I know what it means, but trying to explain it is almost impossible or at least it is for me.

I’m president of the second largest cooperative in the country and if what I’m hearing from Glenn Beck, the Fed’s are going to inspect all properties that are being sold for engergy efficiency crapola ie windows, doors, furnaces, insulation.

These units here are well over 60 years old and sell on average for $20,000. If we’re going to be required to update all this stuff, it will either bankrupt us, or we won’t be able to sell them.

I guess that’s what Barry wants. So much for affordable housing.

Knucklehead on July 1, 2009 at 6:01 PM

tru2tx on July 1, 2009 at 5:48 PM

My experience as well. Cap & Trade, what is that?

bazil9 on July 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Time for: it’s baseball! Ball caps and trading cards! For everyone!!

tru2tx on July 1, 2009 at 6:03 PM

You bring up a good point Ed. If we are to reign in the fiscal insanity that is the New Raw Deal we need to capture one branch of the legislature.

Perhaps the more important branch is the house of representatives, due to the fact that spending bills have to originate there (you can’t start them in the senate… and you’d still have to have the permission from the house).

Chaz706 on July 1, 2009 at 6:04 PM

That is why we have Odumbo for president.

jbh45 on July 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Beat me to it. I work at a college. The students were enthralled about electing him. They haven’t a clue what he’s doing to our country. Not a one. They’re getting a glimpse now…by looking for work. My student assistant said the other day “I thought he was going to fix the economy. I’m competing for jobs with people my dads age.”

scalleywag on July 1, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Are we the only ones paying attention?

Knucklehead on July 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM

ihasurnominashun on July 1, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Thanks for the post, Ed. We’ve now seen Buckwheat’s sister and Hussein O. in the same room together, or at least on the homepage, side by side.

pcpower1 on July 1, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Joe Caps on July 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Great, good for you. But try explaining it to your liberal peers.

scalleywag on July 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM

tru2tx on July 1, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Yeah and its gonna feel like a Louisville Slugger cracked them upside the head if it passes.

bazil9 on July 1, 2009 at 6:15 PM

The spineless GOP members that infest the beltway are just too stupid to take that kind of good advice.

Zorro on July 1, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Along with tagging Pelosi for this mess we have to remind those around us with short-term memory loss – these are Obama’s bills too. When you can’t pay your utilities, thank Obama. When you can’t sell your property because you can’t afford to make the repairs, thank Obama. When you can’t afford to eat, thank Obama. When you’re paying for everyone to enjoy medical benefits regardless of their personal lifestyles, thank Obama. And, Obama is only getting started folks….3 1/2 more long years.

24K lady on July 1, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I’ve encountered the same quizzical looks from people when ranting about crap and tax. “What’s that?” they ask. Then I explain it (as best I can because even though I’ve been following it from the beginning, I can’t decipher all the obfuscation and duplicity either) and I still get the glazed eyes. The nonstop Michael Jackson coverage is so much more compelling you know.

The bottom line about most Americans is this: They are like the frog in a pot of water on the stove. They won’t jump out until it’s a full, rolling boil — assuming, of course, they haven’t already cooked to death. Until people start feeling this tax at the gas pump, the grocery store, every time they flick on a light switch or turn on the AC, when they try to sell their homes and can’t b/c of all the new “green” restrictions, they aren’t going to jump out of the pot. At that point, it might be too late. And Heaven help us if they manage to ram healthcare through before people wake up from their apathy comas. Some later administration might be able to roll back crap and tax, but healthcare? We’ll never be able to slay that beast once it’s hatched.

NoLeftTurn on July 1, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Knucklehead on July 1, 2009 at 6:01 PM

But you don’t know what it “means”.
How many jobs will be lost?
How much taxes spent?
How many companies will be hamstrung in competition?
How many companies will leave the U.S.?
You and I know “a lot”, to all those questions…but when we see the figures in a few months, they will be staggering.
Then we will know what it “means”.
Not the definition…but the impact, and that is what was never debated.
God, I am so ashamed of our congress…and most ashamed of the 8 that sold out.

right2bright on July 1, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I guess that’s what Barry wants. So much for affordable housing.

Knucklehead on July 1, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Pay attention to the Feds taking over State Parks… beginning with those in California. This could be our future “population centers”.

Key West Reader on July 1, 2009 at 6:19 PM

I have a very bad feeling about this.I`m sceptical about the Senate.

LSUMama on July 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Worry about the House. If we take that, Obama’s crap can remain Obama’s crap, not ours.

Patrick S on July 1, 2009 at 6:20 PM

24K lady on July 1, 2009 at 6:16 PM

A good point…this bill would not have passed without Obama’s blessing.
This is Obama’s baby, made on his watch…

right2bright on July 1, 2009 at 6:21 PM

right2bright
We have to remind the Dems they can lose their seats and the coveted majority as well. I’m seeing more complaints from friends that are Dems than the Repubs. They feel betrayed and know now not one promise about taxes is going to be kept. The grownups, at least, are starting to realize not one thing has been debated, vetted, much less read, than the college students and other assorted groups within the Dem party that got him elected. When someone doesn’t know what some of these bills contain, ask them how they feel about passing something that’s a closely held secret. You can see the eyes start to twitch. They/we have been had, we just don’t know yet how badly.

24K lady on July 1, 2009 at 6:35 PM

How will his rationing work?

seven on July 1, 2009 at 6:36 PM

How will his rationing work?

seven on July 1, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Ask the lobbyists…

right2bright on July 1, 2009 at 6:39 PM

What does that mean? Are we the only ones paying attention?

Knucklehead on July 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM

This is the story of my life in the little rural (translation: Demonrat agriculturally subsidized) town to which we’ve “retired.” My husband and I are building a website/blog to bring the truth to the local populace. (Wish us luck…)

winfield on July 1, 2009 at 6:39 PM

How will his rationing work?

seven on July 1, 2009 at 6:36 PM

From what I understand, for example, if you’re paying $1.00 per kilowatt hour and you go over your ration, the price will be doubled to a certain number, and if you go over that number, it’ll be tripled, etc, etc, etc. If you’re abusive to your ration, I think the doubling and tripling etc. can become retroactive. I’m just using a basic number here to get the point across.

Time to buy a generator.

Does anyone know if you can read this bill online anywhere?

Knucklehead on July 1, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Joe Caps on July 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM

While I applaud your conservativism, I have the sads for your (surely) loneliness.

anniekc on July 1, 2009 at 6:43 PM

cjs1943 on July 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM

They will know, down the line, when they finally figure out it is their out-of-sight taxes paying for it. Not until it directly effects their bottom line they will fully realize the consequences of their votes. That is if there is enough energy being produced by then to illuminate that light bulb over their head.

Yoop on July 1, 2009 at 6:44 PM

The answer is in the TEA parties. GO GO GO!!!
Talk about ‘em. Go to ‘em for yourself. Look!
When you see who all shows up, you’ll see you’re just like everybody else. That was just for swindle-us. Now with cap-n-tax and healthcare unformed. The crowds are going to be monster size. Remember Beck said it right “We surround them”.

One more thing – let’s just stop this nonsense about worrying if the lame-stream media cares about what we do. This is my country and I’ll be damned, if I let her go without a fight!
NEVER AGAIN!

Blacksmith8 on July 1, 2009 at 7:00 PM

A few questions that need asking:

1. How much will the CO2 be reduced if the Wacko-Malarkey climate bill is passed

2. How much will the earth’s temperature be decreased by the Wacko-Malarkey climate bill?

3. Can you explain how taking money from one taxpayer and handing it to another taxpayer helps the earth’s climate?

4. How does creating a sub-prime market for carbon credits help anybody but AL Gore and his Wall Street pals? Cap and Trade, get it??

Hey, I’m just asking, maybe you should too, because the whole Wacko-Malarkey scheme sounds a whole lot like energy taxes out the wazzoo and energy reparations to me — With the earth getting the short end of the stick.

tarpon on July 1, 2009 at 7:03 PM

If the economy was in better shape they might get away with something like this, but now is not the time for this nonsense. People are a lot more worried about taking care of their families than they are of some hysterical fear mongering about global warming.

Terrye on July 1, 2009 at 7:11 PM

“I’m paying attention! I know Michael Jackson and Billy Mays died. Is there something else going on?”

Good thing I wasn’t drinking! Nice one. :)

WitchDoctor on July 1, 2009 at 7:12 PM

They may technically call this “Nancy Pelosi’s Energy Plan” but it’s Obama in the video, so in that sense it doesn’t work.

Other than that, good start, although I’d do a version with the comment from the campaign where Barack the Chicago politician says (I paraphrase) you can mine for coal if you want but we’ll make sure you are bankrupted in the process.

And I’d ixnay the W.S.J. quote. It’s too dry and just not very compelling.

Buy Danish on July 1, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Buy Danish on July 1, 2009 at 7:13 PM

They will never tag anything with Mr. Obama’s name, they think it is suicide to criticize him. About anything.

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2009 at 7:22 PM

True, but unless they include Pelosi yapping away in the ad, even the typical Obamabot dunce won’t be fooled into thinking this is really about Pelosi.

Buy Danish on July 1, 2009 at 7:29 PM

cjs1943 on July 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Don’t blame them, 20 year olds usually are pretty stupid about politics. Blame the 30s-40s-5-s-60s and 70 year old idiots that haven’t a clue about cap and trade that’s only been talked about for well over a year.

Jeff from WI on July 1, 2009 at 7:40 PM

That is why we have Odumbo for president.

jbh45 on July 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM

As a 20 y/o voter, I am with you 110%. The vast majority of my generation is neither qualified to vote nor raise the next generation, period end of story. I think it was a major disaster to lower the voting age to 18. Heck, IMHO, it should have been raised a couple years!!!

Dark-Star on July 1, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Buy Danish on July 1, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Our guys need to man up and take the president on. Our side has far to many cowards. I am so sick of everything said about him prefaced with how smart, cool or some other stupid adjective to describe him. Mrs. Pelosi is certainly a high percentage repellent.

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Pipe it into the basements. That is where most of the uniformed people are.

Americannodash on July 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM

The Cap and Trade tax is a self-defeating initiative. within 6 months of it’s implementation, no one will be able to pay their energy costs.

This will have a cascading effect throughout the global economy. If a person can’t pay their electric or gas bills, they simply won’t pay it. Likewise, when you can’t afford to put gas in your car, you won’t put gas in car.

This will move through the energy industry quickly, just as when homeowners stopped paying their mortgages that they couldn’t afford, crashing oil and natural gas markets worldwide. Then, no fuel will be available to purchase, even if you could still afford it because the producers arent’ getting paid by their customers, so they can’t purchase the crude oil or NG stocks.

When you can’t drive to work because you can’t buy gas, it won’t be long before you no longer have a job to drive to, either because you got fired or your employer can’t pay you anymore.

I say let it happen. Be prepared; only the strong and resourceful will survive. Like Dennis Miller once said: “Sometimes, you have to cull the herd”.

1. Ammo
2. Bulk goods (Flour, corn meal, sugar, salt, etc.)
3. Medical supplies

It’s coming.

BobMbx on July 1, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Dark-Star on July 1, 2009 at 7:42 PM

See? Obama math already at work. You can be at or less than 100%, but never more than 100%. Except on Planet Bizarro.

/sarc

BobMbx on July 1, 2009 at 8:18 PM

I’m so glad to see Harry Teague is on that list. Went to a townhall meeting and he stood up and said he read the bill, but then admitted privately that he didn’t. His staff did. Also, he sold my state out for his oil buddies on the eastern part of the state. Told us he was born and raised an oil man and would always be an oil man. Tells you where his priorities are.

MomintheFlyOverZone on July 1, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Sadly, I must admit that I am represented by Mr. Dennis We Must Impeach Bush Now Kucinich and the people around here who bother to vote seem to think he is too awesome for words. Even if we didn’t have him, this area is so heavily democrat that there is no way we’d be able to get anyone else voted in.

Katec on July 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM

cjs1943 on July 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Don’t over generalize (I’m 23)… but you do have a point.

Probably because like most people, most of the 20 somethings can’t be bothered to really take a look into what’s actually going on. I know quite a few friends of the same age though, and I’ve personally taken it to heart to educate them well on the political front.

Lately, they’ve all become conservative… so I’m doing my part (I’d like to think so anyway).

Chaz706 on July 1, 2009 at 11:00 PM

ihasurnominashun on July 1, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Yeah, there is. Some black hip hop mogul boycotted some black hip hop guy for beating up some famous black chick.

You really should pay attention.

guntotinglibertarian on July 1, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Katec on July 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Hey, is Kucinich still married to that hot, way-taller-than-him redhead wit’ da tattoo?

When Republicans start swanking around with ill biotches like her, maybe we can pick up a bit of the youth vote.

We need a cool factor. Maybe a couple of Senators with those Maori earlobe plugs the cashiers at Whole Foods seem to favor.

guntotinglibertarian on July 1, 2009 at 11:43 PM

60s and 70 year old idiots

Jeff, get back into your Snuggy. You were doing so well, but I’m afraid you’ve let your angry poodle side off the leash again.

guntotinglibertarian on July 1, 2009 at 11:45 PM

I spoke with four people who voted for McCain and they had no idea of the meaning of Cap & Trade. They were shocked when I gave them a quick summary of the legislation and how it was passed. Also, the Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) just announced its opposition to Cap & Trade.

The sheeple will never blame Otaxme or the Dems because it will be a hidden tax. They will just blame the big bad utility companies. The Repubs were trying to pass a bill to have the tax clearly marked on consumers’ bills but it probably did not pass.

HellCat on July 1, 2009 at 11:52 PM

spoke with four people who voted for McCain

Well, let’s not forget that the doddering old fool was all for the Lieberman version of this bill back before the election. Difference is, if he had been elected, he is such an ineffectual dunce, he probably couldn’t have gotten the thing done.

guntotinglibertarian on July 1, 2009 at 11:58 PM

I work at a college. The students were enthralled about electing him.

scalleywag on July 1, 2009 at 6:06 PM

At the University where I just graduated from, there were student rallies to drive people to the polls, days off from classes to vote and watch the inauguration, posters/propaganda up galore…

But alas, such is our “higher” education system.

We as a people need to take a long, hard, look at the institutions we are using to incubate our youth. As long as we have these institutions that treat our country this way, we will always have this battle. Part of the reason why academics feel the way they do, and show the crass arrogance that they do, is because of the inherently flawed tenure system employed by most Univeristies, which I will not go into.

So, to wrap it up — can’t fix the youth without fixing school, can’t fix school without fixing tenure. :)

What really chaps my khakis is how ignorant many of the so-called scholars really are — much of this stuff is simple addition and subtraction.

DrRansom on July 2, 2009 at 12:47 AM

I live in New Jersey’s 7th Congressional District.

Leonard Lance is my Congresscritter. He voted for Cap and Trade. He is a Republican.

So is the Republican Party going to start running campaign ads against Leonard Lance?

They should!

gridlock2 on July 2, 2009 at 6:00 AM

This commercial is pretty WEAK.

Jeff from WI on July 2, 2009 at 6:32 AM

Its not the young people in their 20′s that bother me as it does previous commentor, it is the ACORN people signing up the dead and people who do not exist and having one person vote countless times. This sh*t may work in and for Chicago,
but it is wrong and should be stopped. Is Obama like the Iran leadership?

bluegrass on July 2, 2009 at 8:43 AM

” the audacity of an inexperienced boy king ”

Great title for a book, don’t you thinl!

bluegrass on July 2, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I understand that pick forks and feathers sales are booming!

grapeknutz on July 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Tar sales remain flat, however, due to the increased carbon taxes.

MMW on July 2, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Since Rs provided the margin to pass it, that RNC ad is meaningless.

edshepp on July 2, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I’ve made it my mission to hunt RINOs into extinction.

madmonkphotog on July 2, 2009 at 3:35 PM