Scheuer to Beck: The only chance of saving America is … another Al Qaeda attack

posted at 6:14 pm on July 1, 2009 by Allahpundit

An instant GB classic, from Beck’s apocalyptic fretting about massive civil unrest which he prays will be peaceful to Scheuer’s warning that concerns about cross-border gun dealing are a pretext to repealing the Second Amendment to the grand finale crowning Osama Bin Laden as America’s unwitting savior. What’s striking about this clip is how closely it tracks some of the key tropes of nutroots paranoia during the Bush years. Now as then, it’s assumed that the greatest threat to the country is its own government. Now as then, the “solution” to getting the nation back on the right track involves some ghoulish catastrophic failure of national security (losing the Iraq war in Bush’s case, failing to prevent a new attack in this one). And now as then, because the president acted in a legally controversial way in one circumstance — Bush on “torture,” Obama on corporate takeovers — he’s instantly suspected of ruthless designs on the Constitution itself, irrespective of whether he actually has the support he’d need to change it. (If you think Blue Dog Democrats are going to vote for a massive gun grab, you’re kidding yourself.) The only major difference between then and now is that the nutroots indictment was limited to Republicans whereas Beck and Scheuer keep it bipartisan. Thank heaven for small favors, I guess.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Spouse and I were talking about this, and- I should say that I like both Glenn Beck and Orson Scott Card- but we were talking about the fact that there seems to be such a certainty and, dare I say, hopefulness about an apocalypse and/or civil war in the US in some of his shows. Then it dawned on me, because I had read Orson Scott Card’s Empire not long before, which envisions a US civil war along blue state-red state lines, that both are Mormons. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but an American apocalypse is a Mormon tenet of faith. A bit of religious ideology getting into the mix?

evergreen on July 1, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Whether you believe it’s all a story or not the facts are this. Gun sales/ammo sales has been through the roof since the election. Peoples retirement money in many cases is low to gone. Unemployment is rising, and it’ll rise much higher.
Hyper-inflation is just around the corner. There’s no sign the economy has bottomed out let along changed course. Obamas outrageous spending will do NOTHING to change the economy. People will get scared, then desperate, then finally angry with nothing to lose. Perfect powder keg.

Jeff from WI on July 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM

boomer on July 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Cap and Tax is not carved in eternal stone…a proper change of government here can alleviate that pesky little problem. Getting to that proper change in government, well, that is where something that wakes up America and shakes the national consciousness comes into play.

coldwarrior on July 1, 2009 at 7:37 PM

If you think Blue Dog Democrats are going to vote for a massive gun grab carbon tax, you’re kidding yourself.

FIFY:

chemman on July 1, 2009 at 7:37 PM

“MB4 on July 1, 2009 at 7:23 PM

I must truly say… Sir!
I most heartedly appreciate how you “fire for effect”…!

Geezer on July 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM

If you didn’t know better, you’d think Beck lived in his mothers basement wearing a tin-foil hat… /sarc

Upstater85 on July 1, 2009 at 7:41 PM

MB4 on July 1, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Profundity at its best.

fourdeucer on July 1, 2009 at 7:41 PM

First, Michael Scheuer made the statement everyone is up in arms about, so naturally- Glenn’s a nut. I’m thankful Glenn is out there trying to inform the American public about corruption with ACORN, SEIU, Congress, etc. We need more people speaking out, not less.

I, for one, don’t give a rat’s ass what the left thinks about Glenn Beck. They’re lacking just a wee bit in credibility at this point. They also think Sarah Palin is a right wing nut job. These are the same people who brought us Code Pink, Michael Moore and Cindy Sheehan for crying out loud!

Not one person knows where all of this massive, unprecedented spending is going to lead, but if history is a guide at all it won’t end well. What we are doing is national suicide, but people still don’t seem to get it. Instead of tearing Glenn down, why not appreciate the fact that he’s one of the few people out there willing to speak out against this reckless government.

alwaysright43 on July 1, 2009 at 7:46 PM

I must truly say… Sir!

I most heartedly appreciate how you “fire for effect”…!
But than again…

“The trouble ain’t that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain’t distributed right.”

Geezer on July 1, 2009 at 7:46 PM

…new puppy at the White House being a waterdog but can’t swim…
– coldwarrior on July 1, 2009 at 7:01 PM

That’s a reference to Obama, right?

petefrt on July 1, 2009 at 7:49 PM

There is no come back from a NUKE strike. The infrastructure in this country is at a breaking point now. Do you think all the kind Americans that cut you off in traffic, will ever ration anything?
Mad max here we come…. then it’s the 7 Th.century.

upcountrywater on July 1, 2009 at 7:51 PM

A frightening statement to make…

But what’s even more frightening is that Mr.Beck may have a very solid point.

The learning opportunity 9/11 provided us has been totally squandered. Both media and private citizens are allowed to undermine the armed forces in ways that would have correctly been viewed as blatantly traitorous back in the 1940′s. Soldiers are constantly hampered by trying to follow the rules of honorable warfare against savage religious throwbacks that HAVE no honor. And our populace ‘educated’ in ‘public school’ still can’t/won’t recognize Islam for the lethal threat that it is because they’ve basically been brainwashed by liberal loons.

I totally agree with Glen Beck on this one. As horrible as it will be, I don’t think anything but another horrific attack on our home turf will get the mouthbreathing masses to pull their heads out of their @$$es. In fact, we may need MORE than one attack, or one of extreme magnitude, so badly have we buried our heads in the sand.

Dark-Star on July 1, 2009 at 7:53 PM

The only chance of saving America is getting rid of Obama. Castrate him 2010 and watch him fly away from D.C. in 2012.

sherry on July 1, 2009 at 6:40 PM

+7%…………

Seven Percent Solution on July 1, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Jeff from WI on July 1, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Border Patrol is not allowed to use armed Predators along the border that’s why. Heck, they can hardly use their issued firearms with out fear of going to jail.

chemman on July 1, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Don’t know that much about Scheuer, but I’ve been following Glenn Beck for about three years now. I follow him because he’s been consistently ahead of the curve. He’s read the economy like Rush reads politics.

Also, I’m not impressed by the moral equivalence stuff, innuendo that the merits of our cautions should be discredited because they sound too much like something that the left has said before. No, the facts underlying the issues are sharply different. Obama is no Bush, and yesterday is not today.

petefrt on July 1, 2009 at 8:05 PM

chemman on July 1, 2009 at 8:00 PM
Isn’t that why they are sending them unarmed for border security? Might as well line them up against a wall.

fourdeucer on July 1, 2009 at 8:06 PM

upcountrywater on July 1, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I believe you mean an EMP strike. While a nuke strike would be bad we could survive it.

chemman on July 1, 2009 at 8:08 PM

fourdeucer on July 1, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Pretty much what is happening now. The agents have open season written on their backs.

chemman on July 1, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I fully expect the nation to devolve into a circa 1978 malaise, with none of the cultural glue we had then. Whether that adds up to violence in the streets, well, I guess we’ll see, won’t we?

Blue dogs haven’t stood for a damn thing. Every one of their precious “no” votes have been predicated on the inevitability of their party’s will being done in the end. Hell, they rode into Washington on pure, unadulterated political pragmatism and a cynical bait-and-switch ethic straight from Obama’s inner circle. You think they’ll actually stand up to Pelosi, Reid, Obama et al. when it counts?

You’re living in a fantasy world, AP. We can’t even keep the GOP united against absolute rule, and you think the blue dogs will be anything other than a noisy distraction?

spmat on July 1, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Jeff from WI on July 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Beck probably does have a little Mormon apocalyptic stuff going on, but that said, he’s not stretching it too much for all the reasons you cite. I feel it too. I keep telling my wife, “Wake me up when the shooting starts…” And I’m quite serious. My gut is telling me that we’re headed toward very bad times. The powder keg is lit and the fuse is burning, IMO. Whether it goes off, well that’s another story, but it’s hard to avoid the sense that Obama is really taking us in a very bad direction. Maybe the fuse goes out in 2010 and 2012 if the nation comes back to its senses, but that’s a big IF.

PersonalLiberty on July 1, 2009 at 8:16 PM

coldwarrior on July 1, 2009 at 7:37 PM

It’s not carved in stone yet. But, if it passes in the senate and Obama signs it, it will be. Please name me a tax the feds has passed that has been repealed.

boomer on July 1, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Who in their right mind thinks Obama and the Dems want to go on a gun grab. That’s just nuts…

Federal agents hunt for guns, one house at a time

Doh! Never mind! Nothing to see here. Move on dot com..

TheBigOldDog on July 1, 2009 at 8:18 PM

I know I am a right wing nut job, but I bet every one of the doubters lock their house and their car when they leave them. So why do we leave the border wide open and send unarmed guards to protect it?

fourdeucer on July 1, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Bin Laden is nothing if not smart. Al Qaeda will not attack us as they can watch America ruin itself. Why risk uniting Americans against a common cause. We are playing into his hands, and the radical leader will allow a “peaceful” takeover. Except over my dead body!

HoustonRight on July 1, 2009 at 8:33 PM

You mean like, if you think Bluedog Democrats are going to vote for a massive economy shattering “Cap and Trade” bill…

They sure did. They sure will. At least just enough to get it passed.

scotash on July 1, 2009 at 8:41 PM

“MB4 on July 1, 2009 at 7:23 PM

I must truly say… Sir!
I most heartedly appreciate how you “fire for effect”…!
But than again…

Geezer on July 1, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Honestly, I don’t see him being overly concerned with that. As scotash puts it, hell yes they probably will, but even if they don’t, honestly, maybe this makes me a nutter, but I don’t put it past him to simply ‘make it so’, Constitution be damned. He’ll come up with a good reason/pretext, issue an executive order, the press will spin it the way he wants it, etc.

His hero in Honduras didn’t seem to worry with whether their constitution meant anything – Honduras was lucky that their congress and SC were against their president going extra-constitutional – would ours? At best we could expect a 5-4 SC opinion (who’s going to bring the case such that the SC would even engage on it to begin with?), but Congress wouldn’t buck Obama, and I think we all know that, don’t we?

Midas on July 1, 2009 at 8:46 PM

You know, its really interesting that Americans, US Embassies, and US servicemen were killed by terrorists while Carter was in office, Reagan, Bush-41 and Clinton… and all of them did the Realpolitik and ‘police’ dance on them… letting US civilians, government officials and soldiers get killed by the onsies-twosies and handfuls and did nothing. There used to be a time when the Marines would go in and cure such groups of the idea that it was easy, smart and zero cost to kill Americans abroad. Mind you most of these things happened in places the USSR had little interest in, and wouldn’t care if the US struck back as the USSR did so fiercely so as to dissuade such groups from killing their citizens. Jefferson did so, as did Jackson, Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt… yet in our modern world we became too civilized to realize civilization needed to be defended.

The litany of the dead due to groups small and large over the past 40 years is long and only gets a very long day on 9/11… the day that our indolence came back to hit us, hard. Now it is back to ‘police’ concepts… just what will this President do if US tourists are taken hostage and killed overseas? An Embassy bombed and a few killed by some splinter faction of a group? Servicemen gunned down in the streets of Colombia? Marine barracks bombed next to an Embassy? Those were all too common occurances under those previous Presidents and only a horrific single day gave us a wake-up call.

Now we have a President who deploys Hope.

One problem.

Hope is not a strategy.

You can’t depend on it.

What will he do if it isn’t a large scale attack, but the drip, drip, drip we suffered for decades before 9/11? If it is anything BUT how we used to handle such things before our ever so effete modern times, then we will have only ourselves to blame as the dripping becomes more often, the drops larger… a bombing of an Embassy is still an attack on US soil… killing of our citizens using an act of war is still Piracy and Private War…

I don’t want to see a US city disappear off the map some lovely morning, but worried about that under Bush-43 as there are still some assets of al Qaeda in the way of aircraft and ships that are unaccounted for. Plus the spread of radical islam into the Caribbean has seen one LNG tanker plot foiled… helluva thing to have go off in, say, Hartford or Boston or Philadelphia or Miami…

Will we really respond forcefully?

That is what terrorists will ask themselves as this President has demonstrated lack of resolve and ability to confront terrorism. I don’t want my fellow countrymen put at risk due to such shallowness of character by the resident of the Oval Office. That it can even be asked as a question puts forward just how dangerous having someone with no background in the office can be. We will pay for being too civilized, too decadent. Every President gets tested like that… only one responded forcefully in the last 40 years and that only in a limited set of venues. This President gets my trust when he proves trustworthy in office… he is my President. Doesn’t mean I trust him.

ajacksonian on July 1, 2009 at 8:53 PM

“…ajacksonian on July 1, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Time will tell…

Geezer on July 1, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Besides that, Obama is busy setting up a shadow government anyway:

Byrd Calls Obama’s Czars Dangerous – threatens the Constitutional system of checks and balances

Has this story even been covered here yet? Pretty significant if you ask me.

TheBigOldDog on July 1, 2009 at 9:05 PM

“The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”
— Cicero – 55 BC

That Cicero was a pretty smart dude and there ain’t nothing new under the sun so far as politics is concerned, cept’n our once beautiful form of government.

PierreLegrand on July 1, 2009 at 9:22 PM

ajacksonian on July 1, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Fine words…Sir!
Very fine indeed…!

You will be the first to volunteer…?
Old Soldier here…

Geezer on July 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Posted on DRUDGE this morning in BIG letter.

Brown shirts or ? ? ? ?

“FEDS HUNT FOR GUNS, ONE HOUSE AT A TIME”

Texyank on July 1, 2009 at 9:33 PM

TheBigOldDog on July 1, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Sorry BigOldDog . Just saw you posted the same already

Texyank on July 1, 2009 at 9:35 PM

v

Lanceman on July 1, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Also, with this President and the Administration’s mantra to never waste a crisis and grab power like madmen, I’m not too sure that they wouldn’t try to use another attack to “their” advantage. Like others have said, stealing guns a la New Orleans, or imposing martial law to some degree.

Tuari on July 1, 2009 at 6:59 PM

I’d like to see them try that in Texas with Rick Perry as governor.
Or in Alaska with Sarah Palin.
Or here in Florida with Charlie………. Oh I can’t even type that one with a straight face.

Lanceman on July 1, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Why is Hot Air so hostile to Glenn Beck?

He loves America, reveres the Constituion and bewails the collapse of our culture.

Got a problem with that?

guntotinglibertarian on July 1, 2009 at 6:54 PM

AllahTool does.

Beck’s crazy all right…crazy like a fox. How many times has he been right while people balked at what he was saying?

And I guess AP, from now on hosts are responsible for every word their guests say? Pretty sure he didn’t agree with that, and I definitely don’t think that’s the right way to make your point.

jjraines on July 1, 2009 at 10:29 PM

I hate to say this, but if there is going to be another terrorist attack (however, I think that Obama is a terrorist attack)I hope it happens in Washington D.C.

We have friends there and I told them to get their animals out of there to be safe and prepare.

I hope all these evil politicians are taken out. There, I said it. I have had it. This is not what this Country was formed on and what it’s all about. If it can’t be Washington, D.C. then please let it be San Francisco.

suzyk on July 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM

If that’s the case, then it’s time for the CIA to go to work again!

BobAnthony on July 1, 2009 at 10:38 PM

The government is the greatest threat. Nothing else even comes close.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is to protect themselves against tyranny in government. When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

MB4 on July 1, 2009 at 6:58 PM

evergreen on July 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM

But what’s even more frightening is that Mr.Beck may have a very solid point.

What’s amazing to me is how many people supposedly on our side (conservative/Republican) still don’t see–or refuse to see–just what The Kenyan is.

No, he’s not the Antichrist. But he is the American Chavez. Or the American Daniel Ortega.

We have a Marxist president. A true believer. It can’t possibly end well.

The Kenyan isn’t just another crazy Democrat. He ain’t Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton. We’re over the rainbow now.

tsj017 on July 1, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Scheuer was a whackjob during the Bush years and he remains a whackjob now. I do think the ATF is testing the waters for an increased assault on the 2nd Amendment, but the GOP would be smarter to do a little ju jitsu on Obama and advocate a tightening of border security in both directions. Then the Mexican criminals will just buy imported Chinese guns and ordinary Americans will see that border security really is possible.

holdfast on July 1, 2009 at 11:07 PM

The difference between now and then, which I would think screamingly obvious to everyone here, is that now, that assumption is actually based on reality. Now, it is accurate.

Cylor on July 1, 2009 at 11:15 PM

I agree with both of them. Don’t even see what the big deal is..
Of course he is right about the reluctance of the our government in closing our border.

kangjie on July 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM

I heard a local radio talk show host today mention that local police have told him they have a sense of an unrest or something smoldering underneath the surface as they are out and about in the community, and wouldn’t be surprised about some sort of uprising. I don’t know if they were talking about racial tension, but it wouldn’t surprise me. I think it has gotten much worse since Obama took office. I think that the hard working people in this country are tired of supporting the leaches on society. Every day you get up and hear of several new ideas for taxing things you would never dream of taxing. At some point, it’s going to blow up.

silvernana on July 1, 2009 at 11:55 PM

It is sure disappointing when someone you thought to be intelligent and savvy turns out to be incredibly naive…Allah. Laughing at Beck just like the MSM and your libby twitwits doesn’t make you any cooler.

I_C on July 2, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Yeah, just like I was kidding myself when I thought MY Blue Dog Democrat congress critter, who lives in and supposedly represents our state’s “Oil Patch” wasn’t going to vote for “Cap and Trade” (The only reason he got elected in this overwhelmingly conservative district is because he ran to the right of the Republican.)

All it took was ‘thirty pieces of silver’, in the form of a promise for money for a “jobs program” in his home town in Waxman’s last minute 300 page amendment to get the guy show his true colors as a Pelosi Democrat.

If anyone is counting on “the blue dogs” to save you, you might as well give up now. They will always buy off just enough of them (with OUR money) to pass their bills, along with the help of the worst of the RINOS.

LegendHasIt on July 2, 2009 at 1:31 AM

If you think Blue Dog Democrats are aren’t going to vote for a massive gun grab, you’re kidding yourself.

FIXED (obvious typing error).

The “Blue Dogs” were supposedly the fiscally sane wing of the Democrat party. Has anyone seen any signs of fiscal sanity (or any other kind of sanity) lately from any of the “Blue Dogs”??? Did you see any of them fighting to stop the theft of Trillions from our grandchildren?

The “Blue Dogs” are no longer an independent voting block: they’re just “Dogs” now.

landlines on July 2, 2009 at 1:36 AM

jeez its like that seinfeld episode where jerry and elaine have to have sex to “save the friendship”…

ELAINE: All right, let’s go, I give you half an hour.

JERRY: What?

ELAINE: Come on!

JERRY: Are you serious?

ELAINE: Look, Jerry, we have to have sex to save the friendship.

JERRY: Sex… to save the friendship. Well, if we have to…

maineconservative on July 2, 2009 at 1:42 AM

Ohio was bought off in the cap and trade bill.

Those blue dog Dems will each have their price. The Dems have proven time and again how opposed they are to the Second Amendment- the clock is ticking.

Jay Mac on July 2, 2009 at 5:27 AM

holdfast on July 1, 2009 at 11:07 PM

The ATF “tests the waters”?! Look, if the ATF doesn’t like you they’ll bend Posse Comitatus laws and kill men, women & children using tanks.

Jeff from WI on July 2, 2009 at 6:31 AM

“Now as then, it’s assumed that the greatest threat to the country is its own government”

The government is our biggest threat. Democrats were the biggest obstacle our military had to overcome to win the Iraq war.

“If you think Blue Dog Democrats are going to vote for a massive gun grab, you’re kidding yourself.”

Wrong. I am represented by a Southern “blue dog” Democrat. He has a debt clock on his website. He voted for every bit of Porkulus and just voted for cap and tax. Democrats are democrats first.

AP, our government is the biggest threat because it is always working to take our money and liberty, and it never sleeps.

bigbeas on July 2, 2009 at 7:16 AM

In early October, as the meltdown of the financial industry gained momentum following the collapse of Lehman Brothers, a Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found that 59% of U.S. voters agreed with Ronald Reagan that “government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.”
By Rob on February 26, 2009 at 08:56 am

Jeff from WI on July 2, 2009 at 7:41 AM

Reading so many inane comments from people who have never been anywhere, done anything in the real world, makes me sad. When people who have been in the real world speak the logical conclusions to plain facts, they are castigated as fools, as nutjobs. Well, those commenters just prove the point: they, like most Americans, are just fools living in a daydream.

Sometimes they perk up, see a piece of something which might effect them, make their lives more difficult, and speak up. But those voices are quickly swallowed in the silence of the major media. Never do those same people see beyond that one thing; taking refuge in the pain of seeing too much, and retreat back to the daydream.

Safe in their sselfmade cocoon, they vote their one issue, reelecting the same people who made nice noises in their direction, but care not a wit for the voter. And why should they? Politicians know most of their voters are one issue voters who are more concerned with the daydream then the politicians actions in other areas.

Friendly21 on July 2, 2009 at 8:42 AM

FWIW, the nutroots anger stirring and general nuttiness hasn’t really cost them electorally over the past two cycles. Maybe a little anger is appropriate, as an electoral strategy, given the tenor of the times.

Bill C on July 2, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I like Glenn Beck, and usually I like his guests, but this guy made me want to throw the remote at the TV. How he could say something like that without batting an eye is beyond me. Glenn, I love you man, but please don’t give guys like this time on TV anymore. Seriously.

Kelli_D on July 2, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Thanks for a great insight into the goofy thinking of this administration. Some say that a sane person could not concoct such a scenario, so the current administration must be out of touch with reality.

Thus, the time is right for U.S. to change this thought process by voting them out, so they can get the mental health help they need.

MSGTAS on July 2, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Thanks, Allahpundit, for giving more positive exposure to open anti-Semite Michael Scheuer who called American Jews, “U.S. Citizen Israel-firsters.” The guy was fired from the Bin Laden desk for a reason. Do you have even a tiny clue about the guy?

Debbie Schlussel on July 2, 2009 at 11:09 AM

A good update to this story would include the testimony of Richard Clarke to the 911 Commission. In it he said the only thing that would move America in the right direction…would be more body bags.

He’s right. The right knows and accepts all too well and readily what needs to be done. The left has been so misled (ironically by the author of Hubris himself) that they can now excuse cowardice, and ignore the words of George Washington, “Those who desire peace should be prepared for war.” Obama’s not even getting daily Iraq briefings anymore (see also Politico’s daily schedule of The One). He may desire peace, but he’s not prepared for war-let alone qualified to lead it.

scottm on July 2, 2009 at 1:06 PM

AP should stick to Meghan McCain posts. He’s too isolated in whatever cool, urban box he lives in to have grasped what’s everywhere in Fly Over Country.

On this issue I’d have to say Michael Savage has Americans pegged. He’s consistently said for many years that Americans at some point will push back against the authoritarians that control both parties. There is a minority but it’s growing of citizens that are expecting they will have to put their lives on the line to preserve liberty.

What AP wants us to believe is a passive version of American Exceptionalism; that the most common form of human government, authoritarian tyranny, can’t happen here. I respond with Dr. Franklin’s admonition that Our Founders gave us a Republic only “If you can keep it”.

It’s better to be vigilant than credulous.

rcl on July 2, 2009 at 1:22 PM