Audio: Sanford talks about his forbidden “love story” or whatever; Update: More audio added

posted at 5:05 pm on July 1, 2009 by Allahpundit

From yesterday’s AP meltdown. I know we’ve covered it but the key bits really have to be heard to be believed. The part where he talks about his “soulmate” is where I finally reached my Don Corleone/Johnny Fontane “you can act like a man!” point. I’m almost surprised he didn’t break into song. The guy’s clearly a wreck, and his judgment’s sufficiently impaired that he thinks three-hour interviews with reporters about his love life are a good idea. Even the head of the South Carolina GOP now says it’s time to go, and that was before he suddenly and suspiciously decided that no, in fact, he’s not going to release any financial records related to who paid for his trips to Argentina.

Luckily, if he does go, there’s a superb candidate waiting in the wings to replace him.

“Jenny has one of the brighter and sharpest political minds of anybody I’ve dealt with. I didn’t always agree with her because she was so loyal to her husband and his agenda,” said Katon Dawson, the former chairman of the South Carolina GOP and a one-time Sanford ally.

“I was always much more comfortable dealing with Jenny, because I have very seldom in my political life dealt with someone as efficient as she was,” Dawson added…

Twice, Dawson invited the first lady to give an address on messaging to a campaign school for South Carolina Republicans. Twice she emerged ranked as one of the school’s top speakers.

“Next to listening to Karl Rove speak with the door closed, it was pretty close,” Dawson said. “Jenny’s one of the best operatives I’ve ever seen. She can move a message, she can move an agenda.”

I’m ready to donate. Click the image to wince.

Update: Here’s almost five minutes of audio from the AP interview. I’m afraid to listen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This ma”roon” has no clue. No woman who wants you away from your young kids will never be your soulmate. You have hot sex with her 4 times a year. Wait to you have to see each other everyday. She’ll look like your old “sole” mate and your kids will hate you.

tessa on July 1, 2009 at 6:27 PM

“I will be able to die knowing that I had met my soul mate”.

And apparently oblivious to the pain and humiliation he has heaped on the heads of his wife and 4 sons.

A four hour interview?? He needs to be talking to a shrink, not the press. Is he looking for public sympathy, given how ‘tragic’ his ‘love story’ is?

Yech. Talk about too much information.

ProfessorMiao on July 1, 2009 at 6:28 PM

In other news: This just in, Michael Jackson is still dead.

thomasaur on July 1, 2009 at 5:14

PM

Seriously. I’m seginning to sign off all my correspondence with, “Did you know Michael Jackason died?”

As for Sanford, he’s a freak who’s not admitting that the last thing on earth he wants to do is make nice with his wife; He’s obviously drowning in despair over “having to give up his soulmate”. What a waste of airspace.

anniekc on July 1, 2009 at 6:29 PM

His next big surprise will be when she dumps him. She liked him as Governor not as some whimpering idiot.

patrick neid on July 1, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Yep, and IIRC, didn’t the e-mails indicate that this chick had another boyfriend during the same time she was involved with Sanford?

She sounds like she may be somebody who really isn’t into committed relationships (to put it kindly). And trying to build a relationship with some goofy, lovesick loon whose political career is in the toilet and whose wife is going to take him to the cleaners probably won’t have the same allure as occasionally having secret, forbidden trysts with a powerful guy did.

AZCoyote on July 1, 2009 at 6:29 PM

We are definitely witness to the man’s public nervous breakdown. I’m beginning to feel compassion. But the guy has got to GO. He is sick.

winfield on July 1, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Good news!!!

A day after Sanford declared in an emotional Associated Press interview that his mistress is his soul mate, spokesman Joel Sawyer says the governor does not want to discuss personal matters in the media anymore.

Thank GOODNESS.

via/mm twitter

hmfearny on July 1, 2009 at 6:34 PM

This is beyond bizarre. What a clown.

therightwinger on July 1, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Ass.

eucher on July 1, 2009 at 7:05 PM

I think he has lost his mind. The man fell in love and it made him stupid.

Terrye on July 1, 2009 at 7:13 PM

hmfearny on July 1, 2009 at 6:34 PM

You can’t take back stupid. He should have made that decision four days ago.

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2009 at 7:27 PM

A different kind of kool-aid.

Simply nuts.

OK, even if his wife was a shrew (I don’t know), and I’m on the jury, she walks if she shotgunned him.

Sapwolf on July 1, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Politics aside, I assume Sanford is sufficiently Bible-literate to know that a husband is supposed to love his wife the same way that Jesus loves the church (i.e., believers, not buildings). Of more concern to me than the damage he is inflicting on conservatism is the confusion he is creating about Christianity and the incalculable harm he has done to his family. I hope his sons have other role models to compensate for their father’s self-obsessed abdication of his paternal responsibilities.

Again I ask: Where are his friends? His pastor? His lawyer? Who is telling him the painful truths and hiding the sharp objects?

Terrie on July 1, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Sniff..sniff..that was a lovely story about a forbidden love..sniff..sniff…I’m convinced he had no choice in the matter, he’s completely innocent…sniff..sniff…it was that Latin hussie that tricked him.

Jeff from WI on July 1, 2009 at 7:46 PM

For goodness sake Mr. Sanford stop being so disrespectfully to your family. Your not John Edwards, but you sure are close.

mmcnamer1 on July 1, 2009 at 7:51 PM

On a serious note I hope they have him under observation–at least by his friends. He’s spinning out of control. When he wakes up from this nightmare no telling what he’ll do.

patrick neid on July 1, 2009 at 7:57 PM

The Argentinian tango is a really sexy, earthy, beautiful dance. (Check Madonna’s movie if you don’t believe me.)

However, this “dance” with the adolescent Sanford and his maybe I love you best “Maria,” is a reminiscent of an 8th grade grope that the guy thinks is “Romeo and Juliet.”

Gag me ….Time to go, Mark. It’s obvious you care not a whit for your marriage. Go south, old adolescent, go south.

marybel on July 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM

If this man is at the top, just how far does this deep vein of crazy go?

Throw them all out.

spmat on July 1, 2009 at 8:20 PM

It’s clear what happened to the GOP.

ronsfi on July 1, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Wonder how long this ‘soul mate’ will last? Until he meets the next one would be my guess. How can this woman be so stupid as to trust a man with a track record like Sanford’s. She deserves what she gets for her stupidity. They both do. Knew a gal who divorced three guys and announced that each one left her wealthier than the last. I suppose it’s one way to make a living.

jeanie on July 1, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Hey, what are the chances Sanford will admit to having a love affair with his penis?

therightscoop on July 1, 2009 at 8:56 PM

What are the chances Sanford is going to admit that he is a master baitor?

therightscoop on July 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Can we just cover him in honey, leave him on the Appalachian Trail, and let some bears loose?

Speedwagon82 on July 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM

The soul mate thing will go south when Mark Sanford, once a presidential hopeful, is selling trinkets on a corner in Buenos Aires. Maria will be breaking it off with Sanford and phoning it in to her old boyfriend, the “Ted Turner” of Argentina, her concurrent boyfriend whom she “supposedly” jilted in favor of Sanford. Argentinians know for sure. Sanford is a fool…no fool like an “old” fool.

marybel on July 1, 2009 at 9:10 PM

marybel on July 1, 2009 at 9:10 PM

You got that just right!

jeanie on July 1, 2009 at 9:31 PM

tessa on July 1, 2009 at 6:27 PM

AZCoyote on July 1, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I can’t help but wonder what happened to her first marriage.

I also wonder what her 19 and 16? year old sons think of their mother, the wrecker of those four little boys’ home, as victims of a broken home themselves.

I wish Sanford would grow up and realize he’s been going through the worlds worst mid-life crisis and beg his wife’s forgiveness, for those childrens’ sake, but I agree with Sapwolf on July 1, 2009 at 7:40 PM

I really wish he’d resign and get out of the spotlight. It is so depressing; I really don’t want to see it anymore.

pannw on July 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM

I initially thought that Sanford should not resign but he is clearly having a mental breakdown. He should just quit and move to Argentina to be with his soulmate.

Chekote on July 1, 2009 at 11:01 PM

pannw

Nothing worse than to live in a family where the parents stays together for the sake of the children. I can testify to that. I was happy, happy, happy when my parents divorce after years of staying together for the children.

Chekote on July 1, 2009 at 11:05 PM

The concept of a “SOUL MATE” is a completely PAGAN CONCEPT!!!!

Does this friggin idiot Sanford have a brain?!? Does he ever use the head that isn’t in his pants!!??

Good grief! Jesus Christ nor anyone else in the bible says to “love your soul mate”, only “love your wife” which he is still currently married to!

JaqobJackson on July 2, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Sanford is stuck on stupid.

lebrebtak on July 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM

It reminds me of Wes/Sissy in Urban Cowboy, “You can’t expect a man like me to be faithful to any woman.”

There is more than a subtle hint of bragadocious chatter to all political affair apologies.

HellCat on July 2, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Can’t someone fire his ass. Don’t let him resign. Just fire him.

Geochelone on July 2, 2009 at 5:40 AM

If If I were his wife….which thankfully I am not, for the sake of my kids, it is time to acknowledge that there is no repentant heart here…no godly sorrow…he is still relishing his sin and wanting it. I’ve known people who have cheated and repented and are absolutely changed through true humility and God’s grace. This is a mockery…and if I were his poor wife, it would be time to read the writing on the wall. Mark Sanford is cherishing his sin, with a homewrecking woman who deserves a lot of the blame, and his first priority under God is HEARING THIS. His confessions are a twisted exercise in absolution…but everyone can hear that he does not care about his wife…he wants Maria from Argentina.

Mrs. Sanford lost her husband and the boys lost their dad a loooooong time ago. Time for them to walk away.

Mommypundit on July 2, 2009 at 6:42 AM

and his first priority under God is HEARING THIS.

hahahahaha I was typing what I was saying to my son…sorry for the incoherence.

Basically, I was saying that his first priority under God, if he is the Christian he says he is, is the woman he married (a covenant relationship) and his children. END OF STORY. He never should have engaged in a prolonged conversation with this woman (and the others, evidently, whom he crossed lines with. Vomit.) in the first place. Every step along the way was avoidable. They chose this.

No temptation we ever encounter is uncommon. We all share the same temptations. He isn’t special…he just screwed up. Now, he needs to shut up. Talk about a “circus.”

Mommypundit on July 2, 2009 at 6:48 AM

Mark (Hindenburg) Sanford.
Oh, the humanity!

SKYFOX on July 2, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Jeesuz H. Keerist.

mojo on July 2, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Surprise, surprise – video won’t load in FF, which complains about a script slowing it down.

corona on July 2, 2009 at 2:53 PM