Arlen Specter’s very bad year

posted at 4:35 pm on July 1, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Arlen Specter has had a bad year, hasn’t he?  The Senate veteran got a Republican primary challenger in Pat Toomey, who immediately jumped out to a 20-point lead over the incumbent.  Specter tried getting the national GOP to push Toomey out of the race, and when that failed, he jumped ship to the Democrats.  Specter expected to get a cushy deal that would preserve his seniority, but his new colleagues rejected Harry Reid’s deal with Specter and made the Pennsylvanian a back-bencher.  Now, it looks as though Specter will have to fight in a primary anyway:

A congressman from the Philadelphia suburbs will challenge U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter in the Democratic Senate primary.

In an interview with The Wayne Independent Wednesday morning, U.S. Rep. Joe Sestak, D-Pa.,confirmed his intention to run against Specter, a long-time Republican who switched to the Democratic party earlier this year.

“I am going to get into the race against Arlen Specter … for senator,” said Sestak[.]

In other words, Specter has cut himself off from all of his traditional sources of power in order to go back to Square One.  I know many here at Hot Air will feel his pain (snicker) and sympathize with his plight (guffaw) and deride Democrats for running a legitimate member of their party for the seat rather than a renegade Republican (gut-busting laughter).

Go ahead.  Luxuriate in the schadenfreude.  You know you want to.

I haven’t seen polling on the Specter-Sestak matchup, but I suspect it will be as unfriendly to Specter as the first primary polling against Toomey was.  How long before Specter just announces his retirement?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Pennsylvania has a closed primary. So, no helping a sure general election loser to victory in the Democratic Primary. Is that correct?

Loxodonta on July 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Like a fine wine, revenge is best served well aged. Savor the pay back bitch

MyImamToldMeToDoIt on July 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Can you imagine how great it would be if Spectre somehow beat this jerk Sestak in an evil, acrimonious primary, and got to face Toomey with the dKos lunatics tearing at themselves over losing the 60 vote majority or voting for Spectre?

But I dare to dream.

Jaibones on July 1, 2009 at 5:12 PM

JB:

Apparently you’ve missed the news… ACORN is doing the cencus and the AG has decided it’s just fine for Black Panther thugs to handle crowd control at polling stations… Democrats will INCREASE in 2012.

CC

CapedConservative on July 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM

That’s so satisfying I want a cigarette. And I don’t smoke…

karl9000 on July 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM

If Arlene is down in the polls, maybe he’ll move to another state and give it a shot there.

What a dork.

Knucklehead on July 1, 2009 at 5:46 PM

In April 2006, Specter was selected by Time as one of America’s Ten best Senators, right up there with John McCain and Ted Kennedy… geez…

ricer1 on July 1, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Do us all a favor.
Retire “Old Man”-it’s long overdue.

Gulf Coast on July 1, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I’ll bet the Dems don’t even let him sit at “the cool kids table” in the senate cafeteria either…

Arlen Specter: The kid with the bad sweater, runny nose, acne and cowlick who brown bags it and eats his mustard and onion sandwich all by himself at the reject table of the high school cafeteria that IS the US Senate.

So alone…so alone…

SuperCool on July 1, 2009 at 5:50 PM

When I go to vote if there are any large cats of any persuasion, I have always wondered which is better? The baton I saw the black panther carry or a razor sharp Katana replica I have. One way to cut government waste.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on July 1, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Specter has the Obamessiah on his side. He doesn’t have to worry about the Dems growing principles.
Speedwagon82 on July 1, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Damn right because if it’s one thing that Obama is known for, it’s sticking by his principles. Bwa-ha-ha-ha get ready for a close-up view of the underside of the Bambi Bus Specter!

PackerBronco on July 1, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I want Spec to lose but Toomey has a better shot of beating him than Sestak.

artist on July 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Go ahead. Luxuriate in the schadenfreude. You know you want to.

I am. And it feels soooooooooooo good.

BacaDog on July 1, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Sen. Spector, please DLTDHYOTWO. Ciao.

Zorro on July 1, 2009 at 6:11 PM

It’s hard not to feel a little sad when you see a man go down in flames in his elder years but…

Specter’s craven opportunism has finally caught up with him, the pent up contempt for him in this state — on both sides of the political spectrum– is palpable, and now he’s getting what he so richly deserves.

Hey Arlen, toodle-loo.

petefrt on July 1, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I hope he cried when he realized how badly he screwed up. His tears are like nectar to me.

Monica on July 1, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Arlen, “older than dirt, and uglier too”, Specter needs to call it a day, but not before showing some of our squishier RINO’s what happens when you diss your own party.

anniekc on July 1, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Benedict Spekter should choke on every ounce of angst he has hurled against himself via his shoddy performance…a true disgrace. Heck I might even send Sestak a check.

NY Conservative on July 1, 2009 at 6:40 PM

schadenfreude

csdeven on July 1, 2009 at 6:42 PM

schadenfreude

csdeven on July 1, 2009 at 6:42 PM

+100

bill30097 on July 1, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Dear Arlen:

At your earliest convenience, please manage to die choking on your own rotting entrails. XOXOXOXO

SDSquint on July 1, 2009 at 6:44 PM

His tears are like nectar to me.

Monica on July 1, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Awesome…I am going to steal that from you…

right2bright on July 1, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Arlen Specter’s very bad year

Adios Arlen, you turned democrat pendejo. YOU’RE THROUGH…Don’t forget to shut the lights off on the way out!

byteshredder on July 1, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Loxodonta on July 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Well, do not underestimate the amount of havoc those ‘operation chaos’ Rush voters can have!

Freddy on July 1, 2009 at 6:56 PM

OK,I’m back, and the “new Jeff” is gone. I couldn’t stand him.Too nice. It’s not me

Jeff from WI on July 1, 2009 at 7:10 PM

anniekc on July 1, 2009 at 6:37 PM

A “teaching moment” for traitors like Collins and Snow. I like it.

P.S. From what I’ve read and heard Sestak is a real bastard who had most of his staff quit within months of his taking office. He’s a retired Navy Admiral who thinks far more of himself than is humble. He’s far to the left and a complete and total opportunist. It’s really sad that even with these flaws PA would be better represented than Specter.

highhopes on July 1, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Don’t look now Arlen, but that political boomarang you threw is headed back your way, and it’s picking up speed.

Hog Wild on July 1, 2009 at 7:19 PM

How long before Specter just announces his retirement?

He’s already at least five years past his sell-by date.

The Other McCain on July 1, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Jeff from WI on July 1, 2009 at 7:10 PM

How many people noticed? I figured I had mixed up similar names. I thought people on a whole were nice to you if you like being ignored.

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM

This is just what he deserves. He turned his back on Republicans and now the Crats are turning their backs on him. Although, I do feel a little sorry for him..NOT!!!

mmcnamer1 on July 1, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Maybe the ‘crats will figure it out. Just as any other woman/mistress ought to know, if he cheats on his wife, he’ll cheat on you.

obladioblada on July 1, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Clearly, Specter’s only chance at redemption is to break it off in the Dems collective a$$. If the little troll will man up, he can still go out with his boots on and a modicum of political respect. If, however, he chooses to remain Harry Reid’s cabana boy, he’ll slither off to an ignominious end.

Elessar on July 1, 2009 at 8:19 PM

You reap what you sow.

TheBigOldDog on July 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM

he can still go out with his boots on and a modicum of political respect.
Elessar on July 1, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Too late. He lost that opportunity when he made the announcement of switching parties. He admitted the reason he was doing so was so that he could stay in office and not any principled realignment.

highhopes on July 1, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Allow me to express my thoughts by combining two common cliches:

“Ah, delicious irony – a dish best served cold.”

LeperKhan on July 1, 2009 at 8:57 PM

CapedConservative on July 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM

In other news, the NRA has announced their sponsorship of a nationwide program of pest control at polling places, mobilizing their membership to eradicate vermin of every kind on election day.

Problem solved.

Jaibones on July 1, 2009 at 9:11 PM

highhopes on July 1, 2009 at 7:17 PM

I don’t know about personalities and don’t really care, but this I know: I read his bio and thought “OK, a solid military man who decided he could get farther, faster, as a Dem. What a shame.” Then I actually read his positions on that website, and holy shit…this guy is a nightmare. He is left of Mao.

Hopefully, he’s too far left for PA. I’m sure he’ll waste Arlene in the primary, unless the Republicans cross over and elect him. Might be the way to go.

Jaibones on July 1, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Loxodonta

Yep. Strange rules here. The ballots have no party markings, nor are incumbents identified. I suppose you could go the ACORN route, though. Dropping by different polling places, voting a few times under different names…

ROCnPhilly on July 1, 2009 at 9:36 PM

I doubt the dems ever planned on helping ol’ Arlen out much in the primary. They just used him like a pimp uses a $20 whore. Then they’ll drop him off at the corner.

Kissmygrits on July 1, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Who?

jwp1964 on July 1, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Sometimes when I read a HotAir post, I don’t take a look to see if it was by Ed or Allah, but I can always tell by the writing style, and when I go back to check, I’m ALWAYS right. This is the first time I got it wrong. The only thing missing was the exit question.

ardenenoch on July 2, 2009 at 12:13 AM

It is said that a man is judged by the decisions he has made and especially those he will make.
Arlen Spector’s political career:
1st DEM, 2nd REPUB, 3rd DEM and the 4th is yet to be determined.
I personally think or rather I suspect that if AS loses the primary bid as a DEM against Rep. Joe Sestak, he will just proclaim himself as an Independent and continue on his path of insignificance.

Americannodash on July 2, 2009 at 1:14 AM

He’s just a specter of his old self!

miron on July 2, 2009 at 2:43 AM

Specter wasn’t much good to us before,he’s against us now, he’s older than dirt, he should just die.

Jeff from WI on July 2, 2009 at 7:13 AM

Uh, no thanks. I’d rather have Specter than Sestak.

rightwingprof on July 2, 2009 at 7:17 AM

Don’t worry Arlene, you will still have Obama and the dems who sold you out when your A$$ is sent home. You are a piece of sh*t. I hope your girlfriends in Maine are keeping up with you and the concequencies of your actions you old dog.

bluegrass on July 2, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Hey, barkeep? can I get a beer to wash down this tasty, tasty schadenfreude?

I R A Darth Aggie on July 2, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Specter: He came, he saw, he was irrelevant.

Jeff from WI on July 2, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Karma’s a bitch, ain’t it Arlen?

mojo on July 2, 2009 at 12:36 PM

This is the same moron who went along with the ‘single bullet’ theory when he was on the Warren Commission looking into the asassination of JFK. It’s been that long that we have had this geezer in Washington DC. No wonder the country is in trouble.

kens on July 2, 2009 at 1:08 PM