Video: The Al Franken decade begins

posted at 6:36 pm on June 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Blogger trapped in a nightmare from which he can’t wake up.” I kept waiting for this to turn into a skit, with Dana Carvey walking out as George Will to challenge him to a debate or something, but there shall be no punchline today, alas. We’ve elected B-movie actors president and monosyllabic action stars governor; why should electing a bit player from SNL feel so much more depressing? Is it just because he’s a lefty? Or is it because the highlight of his career to this point was, um, Stuart Smalley, a fact Drudge is having great fun with as I write this? Like I said on Twitter, in terms of civic decadence, voting in a C-list comedian feels sort of like Caligula appointing his horse to the Roman senate. Although, on the bright side, this might encourage Adam Sandler to take a run at Boxer in California.

Jokes aside, his statement here was gracious and (mercifully) entirely serious.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Dork B. on June 30, 2009 at 7:23 PM

He only made it because the third candidate took a huge chunk of the vote and Minnesota election officials rigged the recount process. Pay attention Dork!!!

THE CHOSEN ONE on June 30, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Um, I’m sorry, but how in the Good Lord’s Name can anyone take this guy seriously?? Really. REALLY.

pullingmyhairout on June 30, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Maybe because it’s the moral thing to do?

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 7:31 PM

The Minnesota brain trust: Jesse Ventura and Al Franken. They elect Norm Coleman and then they elect Al Franken? What parallel universe are we living in where people actually think that Al Franken, with zero experience, would make a good senator? Oh yeah, it’s the same one that thought Obama, with zero experience, would make a good president. Sheesh!

College Prof on June 30, 2009 at 7:33 PM

I say we encourage Minnesota to secede from the Union.

NNtrancer on June 30, 2009 at 7:35 PM

He’s a meathead and always will be. I predict one term and out.

JAW on June 30, 2009 at 7:36 PM

The Vikings and Al Franken? Sucks to live in Minnesota.

BadgerHawk on June 30, 2009 at 7:36 PM

The only reason why this guy and a few other Democrats won was because Obama was on the ticket and brought out droves of “mark the D column” voters. We’ll see how they fair in the coming elections without Obama on the ticket.

It will also be interesting to see if Obama brings out the same amount of voters his second time around. I think many voters rushed to the booths more for his historical significance than anything else. We’ll see.

kagai on June 30, 2009 at 7:37 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on June 30, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Hey I’m sorry lady I was just basing that comment on Ann Coulter’s article on the Franken race. It was the last thing I read on Franken – then I started not paying attention.

Dork B. on June 30, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Maybe because it’s the moral thing to do?

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 7:31 PM

So being a tax cheat is now moral? How about assault? And the rape jokes?

Glad to know you approve of that type of behavior. Moonbat troll indeed.

Knucklehead on June 30, 2009 at 7:39 PM

I blame the Lizard People LOL!

Dr Evil on June 30, 2009 at 7:39 PM

I say we encourage Minnesota to secede from the Union.
NNtrancer on June 30, 2009 at 7:35 PM

And create an independent nation that would then be free of both Franken and Ogabe?

Count me in!

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 7:40 PM

So being a tax cheat is now moral? How about assault? And the rape jokes?

Glad to know you approve of that type of behavior. Moonbat troll indeed.

Knucklehead on June 30, 2009 at 7:39 PM

He wasn’t a tax cheat. I’m not fan of the assault stuff. The rape jokes were in poor taste.

I don’t think those are enough to justify the countless clown and he will hit someone references.

Although if you think about it, if he feels threatened or insulted, I’m sure everybody him would support him being physical…

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Nuke the state of Minnesota. Nuke it back into the Stone Age.

Percy_Peabody on June 30, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Nuke the state of Minnesota. Nuke it back into the Stone Age.

Percy_Peabody on June 30, 2009 at 7:43 PM

10 miles west of the Mississippi, it looks like the stone age.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Maybe because it’s the moral thing to do?
mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Ohhhh, it’s MORALS you’re worried about:

Franken: “And ‘I give the pills to Lesley Stahl. Then when Lesley’s passed out, I take her to the closet and rape her.’ Or `That’s why you never see Lesley until February.’ Or, `When she passes out I put her in various positions and take pictures of her.”

MacDonald takes it a step further, suggesting that the Rooney rape comment be directed at other “60 Minutes” icons Mike Wallace and Ed Bradley. Franken chimes in: “What about `I drag Mike into my office and rape him. Right here! I guess that makes me bad.”‘

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 7:45 PM

The Vikings and Al Franken? Sucks to live in Minnesota.

BadgerHawk on June 30, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Remember, you have to sit in the Metrodome to watch a game.
That’s gotta suck too.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 7:46 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Oh sure, physically attacking someone because he feels insulted, that makes sense. Of course you would have no problem with someone attacking Ogabe because they feel “insulted”, though in that sense there would be a line around the block.

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Still waiting to hear what kind of gun the state of Wisconsin allows you to carry on your hip?

Grown men not allowed to carry a gun…my WIFE carries a gun. *chuckle*

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Franken will fit in well with that ship of fools that we call a Senate.

I just got a begging for $ letter from the RNC. The answer is when the RNC punishes and excommunicates RINO’s (like the 8 in the House) and gets some balls, THEN and only THEN will we talk $. Unlike Congress, I ain’t sending money down a rat hole.

Dingbat63 on June 30, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Ohhhh, it’s MORALS you’re worried about:

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Glad to know you take your cues on morality from Al Franken.

By the way, this was back from 1995, and Al apologized for it.

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 7:51 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Like I said, Liberal Troll Moonbat Logic.
That would be you.

And as far as you not saying he’s a tax cheat, what exactly does not paying your taxes, even when Franken admitted it, mean?
Last April, the California Tax Franchise Board revealed that Franken owed the state $5,800 in taxes, fines, and penalties because he did not file returns in 2003 through 2007. Franken then admitted that he owed more than $50,000 in back taxes to 17 states

Knucklehead on June 30, 2009 at 7:52 PM

I’m from MN and I voted for Coleman, so obviously this outcome disappoints me. Has this process humbled him? We’ll have to see. But I do appreciate the he spoke that he is not just the 60th Dem joining up in D.C., but the 2nd senator from our state . Senator Franken, we have our eyes on you.

pjean on June 30, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Grown men not allowed to carry a gun…my WIFE carries a gun. *chuckle*

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Any kind you fool. It’s perfectly legal.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 7:52 PM

pjean on June 30, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Enough with that, now something really important. Will the Viqeens suck all season, or win the division and than fall on their face, as usual, in the playoffs?

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Knucklehead on June 30, 2009 at 7:52 PM

It means Al is not an accountant and relied in good faith on his accountant to deal with this stuff.

Is the goal just to find anything to throw at the guy? Do you not use an accountant to do your taxes? Have you never seen someone rely on a professional (lawyer, accountant, etc.) in good faith only to see that professional make a mistake?

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Sorry, that kind of play is strictly a Chicago Bears thing!

Knucklehead on June 30, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Sorry, that kind of play is strictly a Chicago Bears thing!

Knucklehead on June 30, 2009 at 7:57 PM

LOL…Come now, I hate the Bears as much as the next guy but I’d have to say it’s more of a “Bud Grant” type thing.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Any kind you fool. It’s perfectly legal.
Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Conceal/carry? You might want to brush up on your state gun laws. LOL…I haz education.

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 8:02 PM

You said on you hip, you didn’t say concealed. If that’s the best you’ve got, and I know it is because Minnesota sucks at everything, it’s pretty pathetic.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 8:04 PM

He’s good enough, he’s smart enough, and doggone it, an almost-imperceptibly tiny percentage of people like him more than that other guy.

At least Franken doesn’t have to worry about working with any senators he might have trashed on the radio. What are the odds they heard it?

Jim Treacher on June 30, 2009 at 8:06 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Like I said, you are a Liberal Moonbat Troll unable to comprehend common sense.

Put the KoolAid down.

Knucklehead on June 30, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I’m sure Senator Franken will storm into the Senate and light a fire under Team Obama because he is unhappy with the direction they are taking America….obviously it isn’t left enough yet for Al.

Mo_mac on June 30, 2009 at 8:08 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Yeah, he’s only a U.S. Senator, not a plumber who asked an uncomfortable question.

Jim Treacher on June 30, 2009 at 8:08 PM

So peoples only choice to run as a Democrat was a Communist or a goat?

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Ew. Somebody actually is married to this turd?

ErinF on June 30, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Ew. Somebody actually is married to this turd?

ErinF on June 30, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Well..I think that’s a woman, it kind of looks like a woman, but looking at then picture and the fact that there’s so many DEM cross dressers, it’s hard to tell.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 8:49 PM

I actually got to watch some of the MN Supreme court hear the arguments on C-span and I knew right away that this was going to be the outcome. The courts members were so obviously in the tank with the dems, as demonstrated by their lack of reason, that this outcome was inevitable. They were arguing ever bit of common sense put out by the Coleman team with a bunch of vapid dribble. But when you’re a liberal judge, that’s what’s expected of you.

What I really don’t get are the moron’s celebrating this. It’s so obvious that the dems are about to destroy the dollar, the economy, our sovereignty, and our national security, how could anybody be so brainless as to be cheering this on? Not to mention, when the US is weak, the world goes to war. Look at history, whenever the strongest nation in the world became weak, the despots of the world take advantage of it. Ironically, the same idiots who we’re so against the last war, will probably cause an even worse one.

Bikerken on June 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Because he’s an angry, hot-headed ass who’s as likely to punch a fellow senator in the face on the Senate floor as he is to vote HELL YES on cap and trade?

capitalist piglet on June 30, 2009 at 9:20 PM

What a mess this country is in. The ruling party is made up of left wing radicals and certified clowns and the opposition party consists of idiots that can’t keep their the pants on. If this poor sick Republic makes it through the next four years it will be nothing short of a miracle.

rplat on June 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Maybe you guys should let Al actual work before making all the clown jokes. He might be a great Senator. It would be great to let go a bit of the prejudging pedal.

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM

And Obama might be a great………

Johan Klaus on June 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Franken then admitted that he owed more than $50,000 in back taxes to 17 states

Knucklehead on June 30, 2009 at 7:52 PM

franken will fit in just fine with the Obama administration

Johan Klaus on June 30, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 8:49 PM

I think that’s Rosa Delauro. Maybe Ruth Buzzi Ginsberg. Bella Abzug?

Lanceman on June 30, 2009 at 10:13 PM

The Al Franken decade begins

Be thankful that Senate terms are 6 years, not 10.

slp on June 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Now Minnesota’s right up there with my state. We keep electing people like Barney Frank and John Kerry.

waterat31 on June 30, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 8:49 PM

I think that’s Rosa Delauro. Maybe Ruth Buzzi Ginsberg. Bella Abzug?

Lanceman on June 30, 2009 at 10:13 PM

It IS Ruth Buzzi, you’re right!

Jeff from WI on July 1, 2009 at 7:05 AM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM

And Obama might be a great………

Johan Klaus on June 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM

It’s hard not to prejudge a Commie tax cheat.

Jeff from WI on July 1, 2009 at 7:07 AM

It’s time to play Shoot The Clown. The first to fill the balloon with “water” over Frankens’ head wins.

Coronagold on July 1, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Ew. Somebody actually is married to this turd?

ErinF on June 30, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Yeah, and it looks like she wants to escape. Someone help this woman!!!!

BetseyRoss on July 1, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Ew. Somebody actually is married to this turd?

ErinF on June 30, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Yeah, and it looks like she wants to escape. Someone help this woman!!!!

BetseyRoss on July 1, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Once again, are you SURE that’s a woman?

Jeff from WI on July 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Once again, are you SURE that’s a woman?

Jeff from WI on July 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM

That’s mature.

What other groups of people are subject to your derisive remarks based on nothing more than their physical appearance — racial minorities, ethnic groups, the physically disabled?

The Race Card on July 1, 2009 at 1:17 PM

The Race Card on July 1, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Are you trying to tell me that ugly people are now a protected class of citizens? Come on. Let a guy have some fun, shees.

The Race Card on July 1, 2009 at 1:21 PM

What is up with Minnesota?

After they elected a professional wrestler as governor, I just thought that they were stupid. Now, after sending a failed TV comic to the U.S. Senate, I think that they might be demonstrating their utter contempt for democracy and a representative republic form of government.

Whatever the motive, the State of Minnesota should be expelled from the United States and every citizen of Minnesota put on a watch list and never be allowed to set foot in America again. These people are more destructive than all the muslim terrorists put together.

lonesomecharlie on July 1, 2009 at 1:39 PM