Two videos against ObamaCare

posted at 5:07 pm on June 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The pushback against the nationalization of the health-care sector has begun in earnest. Today, I’ve received two videos opposing further government intervention in health care. The first comes from Patients First, the health-care effort from Americans for Prosperity, which takes a standard political-ad approach to ask whether Americans really trust politicians to make their medical-care decisions for them:

The second has been around for a week; the boss had it last Thursday. It’s worth a second look. The Independence Institute produced this snarkier-than-usual spot in an effort to entertain while instructing. Should Americans have to choose between obeying the law and managing their own health insurance?

Comments

I just read an article on FoxNews that folks are starting to open private medical clinics. I didn’t know they could do that but I love it.

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Good, start. Need more like this.

echosyst on June 30, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Good. These should be running as much as possible.

deidre on June 30, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Kaiser should do an ad saying that ObamaCare will be nothing like AnninCA’s current health insurance policy.

myrenovations on June 30, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Me, too.

It’s the American way.

bluelightbrigade on June 30, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Keep ‘em coming. People need to know the truth about what is coming.

boomer on June 30, 2009 at 5:17 PM

myrenovations on June 30, 2009 at 5:17 PM

That add should also make claims about polls that don’t exist or studies that get pulled out of the arse, like Ann’s “facts” and “polls”

Ann…are you there?

bluelightbrigade on June 30, 2009 at 5:18 PM

bluelightbrigade on June 30, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Don’t worry sirens are going off at her place with the posting of this thread!

HoustonRight on June 30, 2009 at 5:20 PM

He who rejects gov care has great responsibility to give to charity

PrezHussein on June 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM

He who rejects gov care has great responsibility to give to charity

PrezHussein on June 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Why?

Limerick on June 30, 2009 at 5:25 PM

He who rejects gov care has great responsibility to give to charity

PrezHussein on June 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM

For PrezHussein, Government is charity.

BKennedy on June 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Even sweeter is that all those new private clinics opening up are in Canada. So, it is possible for nationalized health care to die a quiet death. Too bad it has left so many dead Canadians in its wake.

Kafir on June 30, 2009 at 5:32 PM

He who rejects gov care has great responsibility to give to charity

PrezHussein on June 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Which charity? Habitat for Humanity? The SPCA? Compassion International? That one with the shoes? Charity takes on so many forms….

what about SCHIP? What about Medicare? What about MediCaid? Hmm? These are “charities” that take people’s money to work. Are you insinuating that people should be required to give money to charities? Are you insinuating that all charities actually pay for health care for the poor and uninsured? are you insinuating that people should give money to church run charities that actually do that, despite the separation of church and state thing?

Your reasoning is faulty, buttercup.

mjk on June 30, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Someone needs to air an ad showing how much people’s taxes will go up when their employer (and their) pre-tax health insurance benefits are taxed.

It’d be easy – big Perot-like chart showing $2,000 for your part, $6,000 for your employer = $8,000.

Now, your part is $10,000 x 30% = $3,333. Pay up, please.

BacaDog on June 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM

He who rejects gov care has great responsibility to give to charity

PrezHussein on June 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I would, but Bambi is going to phase out my tax deduction for charitable contributions too.

You can pay my share now.

BacaDog on June 30, 2009 at 5:35 PM

He who rejects gov care has great responsibility to give to charity

PrezHussein on June 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM

No. That’s not charity. The whole point of charity is that it’s something you do without fulfilling an obligation or expecting reward (specifically material reward). Saying that someone has a responsibility to give to charity makes as much sense as saying that paying your taxes is a voluntary act. Now, people who want to see less government intrusion, especially in social or economic aid situations do have an incentive to help make sure that charity is able to fulfill the needs. But that’s because they’ve decided for themselves how they want to act. The only “responsibility” that can logically be assigned to a person for charitable acts is the one that a man or woman puts on themselves. Anything else is either added taxation or societal tyranny.

jbsaff on June 30, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Now, your part is $10,000 x 30% = $3,333. Pay up, please.

BacaDog on June 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Which is exactly the manner in which Uncle Sugar will come after you….with the IRS.

Be prepared to provide Form 22 with your 1040EZ, or 1040(for you rich folks). It will detail out your private insurance coverage. No coverage, you get a demand letter from the IRS to send a check to Uncle Sugar.

Limerick on June 30, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Please Mr. Obama, I don’t wanna go
Hey, Mr. Obama, please don’t make me go
I had a dream last night about my comin’ medical care
Somebody said “What you’ll get is Dashle Kennedy Care!’”
And there I stood with a rag in my mouth upon which to bite.

Look at them waiting lines there, they’re hardly even movin’
And there’s a bureaucrat at every one
Hey, Mr. Obama, you mind if I be excused the rest of the afternoon?
HEY MR. MORRISSEY, DUCK YER HEAD!!
(Sound of bureaucrat’s clipboard whizzing by)
Hmm, you’re a little bit late on that one, Ed
Whooh, I bet that smarts!

Please Mr. Obama, I don’t wanna go
Listen, Mr. Obama, please don’t make me go
There’s a bureaucrat a’waitin’ out there, just fixin to decide my fate
A complainer I’ve been called cuz I don’t wanna wind up screamin’ or dead

I wonder what the Kenyan word for friend is
Let’s see-friend– kemo sabe, that’s it
KEMO SABE!, HEY OUT THERE-KEMO SABE!
Nope, that itn’t it
Look at them durned health fascists
They’re runnin’ around like a bunch of wild Mengeles and Kevorkians-heh, heh, heh

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 5:41 PM

As soon as AnninCA joins the thread, I’m out. She makes my blood pressure skyrocket with all of her nonsense.

txag92 on June 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Kafir on June 30, 2009 at 5:32 PM

FTA

As the Obama administration prepares to launch its legislative effort to create a national health care system, many experts on both sides of the debate site Canada as a successful model.

excuse me???

F15Mech on June 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Private insurance cannot, in any way, compete with the Pulbic Option. For private insurance you choose what is and isn’t covered. The more covered, the more expensive, it is simple business. Now the Public Option has to cover everything. It can’t hold back. So for every single thing your private insurance doesn’t cover Uncle Sugar will damand payment because he does. Bye-bye insurance companies (and workers). Hello bribing your way into a cancer ward.

Limerick on June 30, 2009 at 5:52 PM

bravo, entertaining and informative, keep’em com’in don’t stop until everybody in america knows oboobi and the demonrats are up to no good….

SHARPTOOTH on June 30, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Canadia has a successful model. It is clean and great until you get sick. It has great coverage except for a couple of 3 little items. Drugs, Docs and hospital care. But the rest is dandy.
Most of the canadians are within 1 hours drive from america. so what is to worry?

seven on June 30, 2009 at 5:57 PM

He who rejects gov care has great responsibility to give to charity

PrezHussein on June 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM

DeathToMediaHacks lives.

Patrick S on June 30, 2009 at 6:04 PM

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 5:41 PM

As usual, very creative MB4.

Liberty or Death on June 30, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Sooooo….you need a hernia operation? Cancer treatment?

You understand that we don’t provide care for people who live irresponsible life styles, so….who did you vote for?

(a glimpse into the future of government/Chicago thug-run health care)

landlines on June 30, 2009 at 6:12 PM

seven on June 30, 2009 at 5:57 PM

If America adopts government run health care then where will you drive to, Mexico? I’d be worried, very worried!

Liberty or Death on June 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Pay up, please.

Except for Congress and the UAW, they’ll be exempt.

BacaDog on June 30, 2009 at 6:23 PM

I see Tucker Carlson finally got a VO gig.

katy on June 30, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer, Ein HealthCare Pogram.

GarandFan on June 30, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Now, your part is $10,000 x 30% = $3,333. Pay up, please.

BacaDog on June 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM

My insurance is pretty much the other way around. My employer pays around $2000, and I pay about $8500 per year. It totally sucks, but I don’t want it to change!! (okay, maybe my part could be less). My family will be doctored up in whatever way we and the doctors decide is best.

Squiggy on June 30, 2009 at 6:32 PM

I’m thinking that if ObamaCare comes to pass, we should make it a priority to visit a medical provider at least weekly. This will drive the total amount spent on healthcare through the roof and quickly show the folly of the plan. Oh and visit a new doctor each time so you’ll have to fill out the 10 page medical history.

Just overwhelm the system with exams and paperwork. They’ll have to hire an army just to file the forms.

BobMbx on June 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Why can’t Republicans speak as clearly about Obamacare?

redfoxbluestate on June 30, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I’m pretty certain they’ve got their own way of financing and payment plans too.

I’m also pretty certain that they’ve got black market clinics in Britain and Canada. And if there isn’t, there should be because they need it!

Chaz706 on June 30, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Waste of time; we’ve lost. This, like ‘cap and trade’ and all the other shite is coming whether we want it or not. May as well bend over and think of something pleasant.

Midas on June 30, 2009 at 7:39 PM

My last comments never maid it past the filters for some reason.

Yesterday I went to a Dr with an injury.

Today I had surgery.

Total cost for surgery $220.06 cents (I was OUTRAGED at the .06 cents yesterday they told me .03 cents).

/sarc

Still waiting on bills from the anesthesiologist etc so bill is not complete.

IMO good quick care is better then free general care (I used to deal with Tri-care).

I pay $115.00 a paycheck towards my company provided health insurance for a reason.

F15Mech on June 30, 2009 at 7:52 PM

DON maid=made pain drug name is blocking my head and HA filters

F15Mech on June 30, 2009 at 7:58 PM

DON=DOH I give up, time for me to step away from keyboard.

F15Mech on June 30, 2009 at 8:00 PM

God I hope Obama care does not see the light of a vote.

8 days ago I injured my hand.

Yesterday I went to a Dr. who took a look at the X-Rays and said you need surgery. He asked when I did this and when I told him eight days ago he said “We like to do this in the first ten days. Lets see if we can fit you in tomorrow.”

He prescribed me post-op pain and antibotic medication.

This morning I went in at 8:15, at 10:20 the anesthesiologist injected something into my IV. I woke up around noon and was released to a relative around 12:30. PT starts next week.

I am home, on pain killers, hand in a cast, with a ice bag tied to same hand, typing (slowly) on HA.

If it was Obama care? I shudder to think.

F15Mech on June 30, 2009 at 8:05 PM

If I have to pay taxes on my family health plan at work, I figure it will be around an extra $4000 per year, since my plan is worth around $17K, and I pay in $50 per week.

The $4K figure is based on my contribution being pre-tax, and also assuming that if my employer’s contribution becomes taxable, it also becomes FICA taxable. Which is something no one has discussed yet when talking about making health benefits taxable, but at 7.65% tax rate, it’s not insignificant.

If my contribution is already taxed, I’m still looking at over $3500. With a current bottome line AGI of well under $80K, (in a very expensive area of the country) that’s paying out over 5% more of our real income in taxes. Which we don’t have just lying around. (And if we did I could think of some much better things to do with it, like repairing or replacing my 10yo car.)

Thanks Obama, Congressional Democrats, RINOS and 52ers!

I’m currently recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery to remove the torn part of a meniscus. I had a minor complication, so recovery is taking much longer than expected, and the not-quite-so-bad knee is getting much worse from the extra strain. If Obamacare goes through, my employer, being a non-profit hospital, will probably sensibly decide that it’s much more cost effective to put us all on the gov’t plan, so I better plan on getting that knee fixed as soon as possible if they push this monstrosity through. Otherwise I guess my current temporary handicapped parking tag will need to become permanent as I wait years to get my surgery scheduled.

LibraryGryffon on July 1, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Kaiser sucks anyway. Why would Ann want us to have such a crappy health care plan, does she hate us that much?

eyedoc on July 1, 2009 at 9:53 AM

I see the scare tactics are getting stronger. I hope Democrats have a spine and put in a real public option for those of us that would rather not have big insurers between doctors and patients.

mycowardice on July 1, 2009 at 12:05 PM