Sanford: I “crossed lines” with other women too. Also, Maria’s my soulmate

posted at 4:05 pm on June 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

I’m confused. Is he … trying to destroy his wife and kids? Or is this just some sort of slow-motion nervous breakdown?

His aides seriously need to start steering this guy away from microphones before he ends up telling us which positions he and Maria tried.

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford said Tuesday that he “crossed lines” with a handful of women other than his mistress – but never had sex with them.

The governor said he “never crossed the ultimate line” with anyone but Maria Belen Chapur, the Argentine at the center of a scandal that has derailed his once-promising political career.

“This was a whole lot more than a simple affair, this was a love story,” Sanford said. “A forbidden one, a tragic one, but a love story at the end of the day.”

During an emotional interview at his Statehouse office with The Associated Press on Tuesday, Sanford said Chapur is his soul mate but he’s trying to fall back in love with his wife.

He told the AP that the shenanigans with other women came during trips outside the country with male friends to, and I quote, “blow off steam.” Whether that means trips to a strip club or something more, only Sanford knows. But just wait a day or two. I’m sure we’ll find out.

As of last night, nearly 50 percent of South Carolinians thought he should stay on. Can’t wait to see what happens to that number tomorrow. Exit question: Show of hands, ladies. How many of you would be willing to take back a guy who told you, “I’ve met this other woman and she’s totally my soulmate, but I’m going to try real hard to fall back in love with you”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

This guy puts me in mind of a judge we had back here who used to insert crap about his pending divorce in some of his orders. “Counsel will please excuse the delay in issuance of this order, which was occasioned by the completely f***ing nutso behavior of that b***h I am married to.”

I exaggerate, but not much.

Pavel on June 30, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Trying? Like it’s taking him a lot of hard work?

If I were Jenny, I’d say thanks but no thanks. I believe in commitment, but I wouldn’t want to be the one he “had” to stay with but didn’t want to be with. That’s too insulting.

Esthier on June 30, 2009 at 4:30 PM

LOL I would spit in his face.

fastestslug on June 30, 2009 at 4:32 PM

He’s talking…and he can’t shut up!

kingsjester on June 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM

To paraphrase Ron White, he had the right to remain silent, but he didn’t have the ability.

Disturb the Universe on June 30, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Ewwww…how long before his mug shows up on a Harlequin Romance novel?

VOMIT!

milwife88 on June 30, 2009 at 4:32 PM

OMG SHUT UP! This guy gives me the creeps.

marklmail on June 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Sanford speaks again.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Eliot Spitzer replied to Sanford’s comment about his soulmate by holding a press conference and said, “Oh yeah, well I hired the most expensive hookers in the tri-state area.”

pedestrian on June 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM

O.M.G.

Jaibones on June 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Dear Mark,

Flies spread disease. Keep yours zipped.

Sincerely,
Jenny

petefrt on June 30, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Somebody is coming apart at the seams.

TheUnrepentantGeek on June 30, 2009 at 4:34 PM

good god man STFU!
keep it to yourself.

exceller on June 30, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Mrs. Kid would’ve collected her half of everything back in ’01…straight to divorce court, don’t pass GO, don’t collect $200.

Kid from Brooklyn on June 30, 2009 at 4:34 PM

and to think a few weeks ago he was a leading presidential contender….shows how far the GOP has fallen since the days of REAGAN!!

right4life on June 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM

I wonder if he is hiding a medical condition he feels might threaten his virility. He’s putting his sexual victories and (presumably) prowess on public display for a reason. Maybe he is bragging now because no one will believe it later.

The Race Card on June 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Quite honestly, I think it is now time for South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford to have himself a nice piping hot cup of SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!, particularly on the matter of his insufferable delusions of his being God’s Supreme Gift To Women, or whatever the hell he thinks he is.

In other words, the man is now an annoyance.

pilamaye on June 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Women will love this “love story”. If they can only publish his love letters, the guy will be a star. Look what Monica did for Bill, he was as popular as ever.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Sanford speaks again.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM

LOL!

califcon on June 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM

I’m beginning to think he’s a sleeper plant the dems installed for the very sake of being a media distraction while they socialize and destroy the country. Its not as though the MSM would be placing the magnifying glass over Obama regardless…but now its just added cannon fodder against the GOP and conservatives.

He’s already screwed his family and his career…is there a need to continue to be an unwarranted distraction from being critical of an out-of-control administration while socialist bills are passed, dictators rattle sabers, freedoms are disintegrating, etc.?

Reminds me of Jim Carrey being pulled over by the cop in Liar Liar…explains every traffic violation he just committed to the cop and when the cop says, “Is that all?” He exclaims…,”No! I have unpaid parking tickets,” while flinging open a glove box busting at the hinges with tickets.

selias on June 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM

my husband knows what i’d do to him. 125% of everything he has. then i would use sharp implements.

kelley in virginia on June 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM

The man is deranged and not it for Office as a Conservative. He could joins the Dems and have a fine career. He could even drive a woman of a bridge and still have a life in Dem Politics.

Geochelone on June 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM

What’s next– a guest spot on Oprah or Dr.Phil?

Sanford needs to work out his personal problems with a psychiatrist or a marriage counselor. Neither his wife nor his children needs to be ridiculed with this nonsense.

He is toast on the political stage.

onlineanalyst on June 30, 2009 at 4:37 PM

He’s probably got video, with narration in his own voice.

Cicero43 on June 30, 2009 at 4:37 PM

At least Maria is attractive.

Daggett on June 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Well, I guess I’ll concede that. His WIFE is attractive as well…

thevastlane on June 30, 2009 at 4:37 PM

BREAKING NEWS: Mark Sanford just contacted CNN to make sure they knew he just got finished schtupping his mistress. Also, that she enjoys reverse cowgirl and that he’s trying real hard to be in love with his wife while he’s schtupping the mistress.

Lehosh on June 30, 2009 at 4:37 PM

As for the exit question…

No. No way in heck.
I would be going beyond my means to just forgive someone without that soulmate crap, but that would pretty much do it.
And I’d look for a man of integrity to play a strong role in my childrens’ life.

bridgetown on June 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Yeah,the ladies all claim outrage now…but later…secretly..they’ll all fantasize about being his soul mate and those meetings in Argentina.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Hard to believe people in SC still want this man as governor. Are they addicted to soap operas? Why don’t they just put Sanford on one of those reality TV shows – he’s kind of become a joke – crazier than Blago.

Jenny Sanford is a brilliant, talented scion of a wealthy family who gave up a career to lend her wealth and talent to push her husband. What he did to her leaves me speechless. Jenny, I know it’s hard, but you need to admit you made a terrible mistake and cut off ties with him. The longer she sticks with him, the more his craziness will stick to her and her sons. Maybe after years of therapy, or shock treatment or something, he would return to normalcy, but if I were she, I’d move on with my life.

Republican bigwigs and fundraisers need to go to him and say “it’s time for you to go.”

chris999 on June 30, 2009 at 4:39 PM

He’s releasing this info because the other shoe is going to drop. There’s more dirt to come.

RWLA on June 30, 2009 at 4:39 PM

I wonder what Maria’s husband thinks about all this. Didn’t I read that she is also married with children? And have a history of cheating?

califcon on June 30, 2009 at 4:39 PM

No, I really don’t think so.

But if he said it to the press…not in a billion years.

A forbidden one, a tragic one

Barf.

MamaAJ on June 30, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Update: Mark Sanford has turned to Rev. Jesse Jackson for spiritual guidance in this difficult situation.

MadisonConservative on June 30, 2009 at 4:40 PM

And now we have this guy telling the story (as bizarre as it is) and we are suggesting that he not talk.

joey24007 on June 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Yeah, well, we also expect our politicians to be a little self aware. We’d be upset if he started cursing at his opponents too, even if that’s how he really felt about them.

Their marriage counselor is seriously not charging enough.

simon on June 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Or rather, he’s charging too much. They already saw him before separating. I don’t think Jenny got her money’s worth.

Esthier on June 30, 2009 at 4:40 PM

What a creep. Mrs. Sanford has been humiliated enough without all of these other sordid details. Way too much information. Advice to Jenny: run, don’t walk.

4Freedom on June 30, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Yep, Mark Sanford is the stuff dreams are made from./

Disturb the Universe on June 30, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Who has put a curse on the Republican party? We need to find that person, and kill him/her.

Cicero43 on June 30, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Like Al Gore & Tippers stage kiss..this will get a lot of the ladies day dreaming.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM

So not my type. Not even if he weren’t married.

Esthier on June 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM

RWLA on June 30, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Maybe Maria’s pregnant?

txsurveyor on June 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM

So what’s “crossing the line”?

Does it depend on what the definition of “is” is?

MadisonConservative on June 30, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Nah. He views himself as a devout Christian who has fallen, and it seems clear to me that she is just the one who finally enabled him to make that last dive into sin.

What I can’t figure out is where he’s going with this – is it penance that he needs to publicly speak his failure and his embarrassment in order to seek atonement? He is in uncharted waters, here, and we shouldn’t be too surprised by his next tack. Cover your eyes, Sanford fans; this is going to get uglier.

Jaibones on June 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Yep, Mark Sanford is the stuff dreams are made from./

Disturb the Universe on June 30, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Mark is that BAD BOY..that only a REAL woman could tame!

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Jenny Sanford seems like the only one with a brain in this relationship right now. Too bad. I really liked Gov. Sanford’s talk on the stimulus.

PersonalLiberty on June 30, 2009 at 4:43 PM

SANFORD 2012!

Go

Away

artist on June 30, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Only the Liberal ones. That marriage is pretty well done.

BetseyRoss on June 30, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Like right out of one of those cheap novels, or an afternoon soap opera.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:44 PM

On the bright side, there is going to be a really neat 50 year old lady on the market for you high-earning Ivy League types. Just a hint of a South Carolina accent (oooh), very well educated and financially secure. Trim, athletic, easy on the eyes, absolute moral authority…

It’s Jenny Time!

Jaibones on June 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM

It would leave a Mark..

the_nile on June 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM

He can be YOURS ladies. He’s the BAD BOY you all dream about.He’s only misunderstood. You can tame this bad boy.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM

And the Wacko Jacko/Lisa Marie Presley kiss…

Oooo…dreamy!

Disturb the Universe on June 30, 2009 at 4:46 PM

nd the Wacko Jacko/Lisa Marie Presley kiss…

Oooo…dreamy!

Disturb the Universe on June 30, 2009 at 4:46 PM

That one too

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:46 PM

When he says he “crossed lines” with other women, that could mean any number of things. Honestly, when you are married, you should not even seek out close friendships with members of the opposite sex, aside from those mutually close to you and your spouse. He seriously does just need to stop talking so save his marriage, unless he is trying to sabotage their reconciliation so that he can be with Maria.

Dan Minardi on June 30, 2009 at 4:47 PM

As for the exit question – I’d arrange a car ride with Teddy, or if I’m feeling generous, a hunting trip with Dick Cheney.

I don’t know if I could ever truly get over it. Forgive, perhaps, but forgetting would be much harder. Especially given the fact that he’s in love with the other woman.

thevastlane on June 30, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM

You’ve been watching too much Lifetime television.

sherry on June 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM

what a douche-nozzle – talk about throwing salt in the wound. Those 4 handsome young boys are learning first hand how some men treat their wives. Now, unfortunately, they will learn to despise their own father, see their mother weeping all the time, and fail to trust the bonds of marriage once they are grown. Our offspring learn EVERYTHING from us. Sanford is a horror.

Ris4victory on June 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I’d rather go hunting with Cheney than driving with Ted.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Clinton was just as popular with the ladies after Monica. He was another “bad Boy”.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM

This is a man on the verge of a complete breakdown, or worse…what a change from less than a month ago. I suppose it’s best that it came out now. The only credit he should get is that he didn’t pull a John Edwards. I hope his wife kicks his butt to the curb, ASAP.

jehowe2nd on June 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Jaibones on June 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM

She really does seem like a great catch. I don’t know. Maybe in private she’s more like Kate on that TLC show. I just find it hard to believe considering how she’s reacted to his admission and how she quit her own job to help him with his.

I really feel for her.

Esthier on June 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM

His wife will write a book, ride the ladies TV circuit.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM

And he won’t resign? Seriously this is just pathetic.

Mr. Joe on June 30, 2009 at 4:52 PM

My GOSH. SHUT IT. What a horrid mistake of a man. Thank goodness this is out before he ran for president, or something.

I feel so bad for his wife. How disgusting…what a fraud.

Mommypundit on June 30, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I really feel for her.

Esthier on June 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM

(Consciously ignoring the ignorant provocateur, Jeff)

Yes and no. She seems to be made of oak. I can’t imagine how horrifying it is to see the man she admired and trusted turn to shit before the nation’s eyes, but she’ll harden quickly, I imagine. No sitting around weeping for this lady.

I’m becoming a big fan.

Jaibones on June 30, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Tabloid Headline:Mark Sanford had 10 year affair with a goat.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I guess the only thing worse could be if Sanford announced he was seeking spiritual guidance from Jimmy Swaggart.

Percy_Peabody on June 30, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Ladies Home Journal: Jenny Sanford Holiday Cookie Recipes!

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:57 PM

As for the exit question…

I can answer for my wife…

Not just “no”, not just “hell no!”, but, “if they can identify my husband’s body when I get done with him, then I deserve to go to jail”.

I’ve never been so stupid that I would say something so idiotic to my wife, she doesn’t play.

Geministorm on June 30, 2009 at 4:57 PM

His choices are all horrible, but hey, I’m glad this happened. He’s been exposed, he’s a liar and a cheat, and its a good thing he didn’t make it to the white house. Good riddance…oh, and keep on talking…the more we know about you the better governor.

cabbageheat on June 30, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Car & Driver:

Mark Sanford’s Sports Car Pick For His Mistress

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM

I’m becoming a big fan.

Jaibones on June 30, 2009 at 4:54 PM

She is a mother though, and when your children are hurting there is nothing more heartbreaking. The kids will have to start answering questions from their friends about why their daddy is such a loon.

thevastlane on June 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM

MadisonConservative on June 30, 2009 at 4:40 PM

BillyJeff gave him that tip at the strip club in Rio.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I would tell him to PISS OFF AND DIE. If my husband ever touched another woman it would be BUH-BYE. I actually have a friend whose husband left her exactly with the “soulmate” thing-after she put him through law school. He never married the soul mate, but they are still ‘together’. These creeps continue to think or not think with their OTHER HEADS…not the ones with the brains in them.

WriterMom on June 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Pretty soon we’ll have to create a word or phrase that means an extreme or titillating form of self-blame, because the term MEA CULPA just doesn’t do Sanford justice.

technopeasant on June 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Go away!

Moving on…

califdreamnred on June 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM

There is no relationship between being a “loyal” husband and being a political leader.
If so, Benjamin Franklin would have been a disaster…and a few others.
It is the lying to the public, the deceiving of the public, the abuse of political position that is wrong.
Pelosi, Murtha are loyal spouses…but that doesn’t make them good at leadership…
He should shut up and go to work, or quit.

right2bright on June 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM

thevastlane on June 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM

THe KIDS have it the worse. She can re-marry, but he’ll always be their dad. She married HIM. The kids are completely innocent.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Has anyone else remarked how Seinfeldesque this is like he is Russell Dalrymple, the president at NBC, gone berserk for Elaine?

ericdijon on June 30, 2009 at 5:03 PM

ooops..I meant “have it the worst”

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 5:03 PM

He needs to shut up and get on with his life and minimize the damage to his family.

aikidoka on June 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

It’s one thing for this douchebag to keep humiliating his wife publicly, and talking about his vast vajayjay experiences, but FORGOODNESS SAKE-his KIDS! How can he honestly keep yapping about his soulmates and exploits having young children who DUH can read and presumably have some Intratubes access.

WriterMom on June 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

WriterMom on June 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Want to make sure people like you don’t think I condone this type of behavior, I don’t.
I just don’t see it as relative to being a political leader.
I am not sure being a Governor, you could be a “good” husband and father. You end up with your priorities messed up.

right2bright on June 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I feel sorry for the family. This guy is like those people in hollywood who fall in love with every person of the opposite sex they meet on-set.

If I were his wife, I’d be saying “Don’t let me stand in the way between you and true love.”

I note he’s Episcopalian. Any Episcopalians care to chime in about the meaning of marriage vows in that church?

unclesmrgol on June 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

In an effort to cope with this dreadful situation, Jenny Sanford consulted with a fortune teller the other day. In a darkened room, the fortune teller delivered some grave news.

“There’s no easy way to say this, so I’ll be blunt. Prepare yourself to be a widow. Your husband will die a gruesome and violent death sometime this year.”

Visibly shaken, Jenny took a few moments to compose herself and, in a voice trembling with fear, asked one more question.

“But . . . will I be acquitted?”

califcon on June 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

It’s time for Sanford to fight off this addiction/infatuation. He’s acting like an out-of-control 14 year old. Yeah, it hurts, going through this crap. Many of us have been through it. Just do the hard work and get over it. He’s making an idiot of himself.

BottomLine5 on June 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

It’s the wife who is going to have to be the responsible parent and teach the kids about grace and self-pride. What a dirtbag of a Dad.

WriterMom on June 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM

If so, Benjamin Franklin would have been a disaster…and a few others.
Pelosi, Murtha are loyal spouses…but that doesn’t make them good at leadership…
He should shut up and go to work, or quit.

right2bright on June 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Good point…look at JFK, he was a louse, but he stayed popular.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I’m becoming a big fan.

Jaibones on June 30, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I am too, at least so far. She’s handling this the way I wish more jilted wives would.

Geministorm on June 30, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Haha. I like that one.

Esthier on June 30, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Hey Jenny — kick this Harlequin Romance reject to the curb…

D2Boston on June 30, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Did you all see The Zo bit on PJs media bout this? The difference between being ‘male’ and being ‘a man’. It was a classic.

WriterMom on June 30, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I wonder if this guy was always such a pathetic dirtbag, or if this is just some sort of midlife meltdown.

Either way, he needs to shut up and go away already.

AZCoyote on June 30, 2009 at 5:08 PM

I do have to give her credit though, she’s NOT the idiot “Stepford Wife” standing up next to him with that stupid look on her face like most of the others.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 5:08 PM

What a moron.

I’m sorry to be so blunt, but what a moron. Can he just move to Argentina and let us be done with him?

ORconservative on June 30, 2009 at 5:08 PM

He probably wooed Jenny with this soulmate garbage too. I’m betting that most of the lines the MSM reporter girls like so well have been heavily recycled.

clnurnberg on June 30, 2009 at 5:09 PM

right2bright on June 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Ah, but there is. Duplicity in your personal life certainly suits you to duplicity in your political life. And duplicitous politicians are generally successful ones — for a while.

unclesmrgol on June 30, 2009 at 5:09 PM

One question. She knew about the “other woman”, why’d he “run off” so others would be looking for him. He’s not even smart being sneaky.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 5:09 PM

He is obviously mentally unfit to stay in office. Republican leaders from all around the country need to exert extreme pressure on him to resign. The guy is a disaster.

echosyst on June 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM

He’ll soon find that his ‘soul mate’ Maria is a lot more fun as a mistress than a girlfriend or wife.

People can be extremely charming and loving on 5-10 day illicit trips.

It’s when you start having to deal with them when they’re sick, when they’re stressed, when they put on weight, when they lose someone close to them and grieve, when they get a bad hair cut, etc on a day-in day-out basis that you start to distinguish infatuation from love.

My guess is that his dear Maria was more than happy to conduct an affair with a U.S. Congressman & Presidential hopeful but will be much less charming in her dealings with this rambling, broken man.

JadeNYU on June 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM

He’s a bastard, okay?

It’s just better that he’s an outed bastard now so that we can get on with our lives and start looking at real candidates for 2012 with plenty of time to maneuver.

bluelightbrigade on June 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM