Sanford: I “crossed lines” with other women too. Also, Maria’s my soulmate

posted at 4:05 pm on June 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

I’m confused. Is he … trying to destroy his wife and kids? Or is this just some sort of slow-motion nervous breakdown?

His aides seriously need to start steering this guy away from microphones before he ends up telling us which positions he and Maria tried.

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford said Tuesday that he “crossed lines” with a handful of women other than his mistress – but never had sex with them.

The governor said he “never crossed the ultimate line” with anyone but Maria Belen Chapur, the Argentine at the center of a scandal that has derailed his once-promising political career.

“This was a whole lot more than a simple affair, this was a love story,” Sanford said. “A forbidden one, a tragic one, but a love story at the end of the day.”

During an emotional interview at his Statehouse office with The Associated Press on Tuesday, Sanford said Chapur is his soul mate but he’s trying to fall back in love with his wife.

He told the AP that the shenanigans with other women came during trips outside the country with male friends to, and I quote, “blow off steam.” Whether that means trips to a strip club or something more, only Sanford knows. But just wait a day or two. I’m sure we’ll find out.

As of last night, nearly 50 percent of South Carolinians thought he should stay on. Can’t wait to see what happens to that number tomorrow. Exit question: Show of hands, ladies. How many of you would be willing to take back a guy who told you, “I’ve met this other woman and she’s totally my soulmate, but I’m going to try real hard to fall back in love with you”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Nerd Alert!

Firebird on June 30, 2009 at 4:07 PM

In this case I strongly advocate him duct taping his mouth shut. And crawling in a hole.

jbsaff on June 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM

My god. What a complete scumbag.

beatcanvas on June 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM

For the love of God, get this man some duct tape and a padded room. I’m sick of reading about him and I don’t even live in SC. My sympathies to all of you in SC.

jennifernaz on June 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM

we have a strange way of looking at politicians. On one hand we criticize them because they are always playing politics and never telling the whole story. And now we have this guy telling the story (as bizarre as it is) and we are suggesting that he not talk.

joey24007 on June 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Geez, this guy is worse than Blagoevich. At least we could rely on him to just cite random quotes.

Doughboy on June 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM

For the good of the people of South Carolina and your own sons, resign already, Sanford, you piece of scum.

esperpento on June 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM

jbsaff on June 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM

LOL! Great minds think alike!

jennifernaz on June 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Is this one of the other women?

Prepare to be amazed

faraway on June 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

This is some twilight zone crapola…. two weeks ago this guy was considered a 2012 hopeful. Now he’s just a POS.

BPD on June 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

As the great Liz Lemon once said: Dealbreaker ladies!

Apologetic California on June 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Stop. Talking.

LMAO! Hahaha, oh man that’s funny.

nickj116 on June 30, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Did that work with KP while you were cheating on her with Meghan?

lorien1973 on June 30, 2009 at 4:10 PM

What’s next? Will he offer to enact the saga of his great love through interpretive dance? If ever there was a case for mandatory sedation, it’s Sanford . . .

califcon on June 30, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Soulmate? He shoved the dagger into her heart and now he is turning it. Is this payback for his wife’s interviews?

Or, has he seized on this b.s. lefty/RINO meme that his sappy emails are proof that he wuvs this bimbo, therefore, he’s not such a bad guy?

Blake on June 30, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Jenny Sanford should put herself and her children several hundered thousand miles away from him. Divorce him right now. Then she should run for governor.

BetseyRoss on June 30, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Suicide watch!

yubley on June 30, 2009 at 4:11 PM

In this case I strongly advocate him duct taping his mouth shut.

jbsaff on June 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Crazyglue.

Daggett on June 30, 2009 at 4:11 PM

I am easy going to a fault but in answer to your question….no thank you. He might want to drop a dime on the soul mate and make sure she is enamoured with his little talks with the press. Schmultzie emails are one thing but this behavior looks Looney Tunes to me.

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I love this guy. Not only is he now doing a preemptive strike on the inevitable women who will come forward to provide lurid details of more affairs, but he talks about cheating on his wife like a love-lorn schoolboy. She’s his soul mate…forbidden fruit?! Please Mark, never stop speaking. Never. You are doing the DNC’s work for them.

dcwvu on June 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM

jbsaff on June 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Actually, I think the rule is, if you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Goes for Spitzer and his mouth, too.

av8tr on June 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM

jbsaff on June 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Just make sure he doesn’t take a shovel with him, or he’ll dig the hole deeper…

db on June 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM

He’s like a teenager in heat.

faraway on June 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Tell it to your therapist.

sherry on June 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Did that work with KP while you were cheating on her with Meghan?

lorien1973 on June 30, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Zing!

Daggett on June 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM

STFU!!!!

roux on June 30, 2009 at 4:13 PM

This is exactly why we should never look for some great leader to emerge for the Republicans. We don’t need a leader.

Isn’t it kinda pathetic that people who esteem themselves to be, you know, self-reliant wait for some great leader to emerge for the GOP?

We are the leader we’ve been waiting for.

beatcanvas on June 30, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I question his mental stability. Why would you keep TRYING to attract this kind of attention?

boomer on June 30, 2009 at 4:13 PM

So Jenny is qualified to be Secretary of State now, right?

lorien1973 on June 30, 2009 at 4:13 PM

As Joe Biden said…

Mark my words.

He’s gay.

MadisonConservative on June 30, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Whether that means trips to a strip club or something more, only Sanford knows.

Unless he was getting lapdances, I doubt any of his voters would care and he wouldn’t bother mentioning it. But, since everything but sex means everything but v-jj-penii sex, I have my suspicions.

Blake on June 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM

He took Spitzers attack personal , and now tries to double down?

If he were attacked like Palin , would he live at brothel to “blow of steam”?

Amazing , when will he visit Jerry Springer .

the_nile on June 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM

We don’t need a leader.

beatcanvas on June 30, 2009 at 4:13 PM

We just need a good TOTUS.

faraway on June 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM

How many would willing to be take a guy who says “I’m married to another woman but you’re totally my soulmate, so keep meeting me discreetly while I meet with party leaders and plot my race for the presidency in 2012″? Some women are just clueless and have no respect for themselves.

As for the luv guv himself… there are some politicians you look at and just know they’ve got something to hide. But Sanford? I was sure that guy had the personal life of a cardboard cutout. What a strange, strange situation he’s created.

Related: is it true that Lt. Gov Andre Bauer is a Lindsey Graham Republican? And not just because they both come from South Carolina. I hear that’s why no one wants Sanford to step down.

Siobhan on June 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM

He should switch parties and run for the Senate……

Seven Percent Solution on June 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM

It’s called the “politician position”. You lie any which way you can whenever the need for it arises.

Shy Guy on June 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM

This is the same narcissism and hedonism that allowed him to become an adulterer in the first place. Wife and children don’t matter – it’s all about me.

Even in my embarrassment and downfall – it’s all about me.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM

This entire post is gold. Allahpundit at his best.

nickj116 on June 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM

“But was there ever dog that praised his fleas?”

– William Butler Yeats

Sanford’s beginning to challenge this thesis…

Robert_Paulson on June 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM

…well as stupid as it sounds, at least he’s TRYING to fall back in love with his wife!

We know that Bill Clinton could never make that statment….

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Dale in Atlanta on June 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Mesmerically awful.

My vote goes with a ‘gun cleaning accident’. Up the ass.

LimeyGeek on June 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM

‘My people’ have a term form Governor Sanford: “Schmuck”.

What a putz….. hey dude…. do us all a favor and resign… then set sail on a one-way voyage to irrelevanceland.

Kenny Solomon
Locked and loaded in South Flori-duh.

E T Cartman on June 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Is this one of the other women?

Prepare to be amazed

faraway on June 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

W-O-W

now why didn’t palin do that photo shoot DURING the election. she’d have had every ‘moderate’ man in america from new jersey to nevada.

sigh….

battleoflepanto1571 on June 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Is this one of the other women?
Prepare to be amazed
faraway on June 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

WOW…*wipes sweat from brow*

And the libs get the frayed and abused Garafolo…HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 4:16 PM

I have a feeling that, for the most part, this imbecile’s favorite “position” was on a day-bed, reading Penthouse Forum.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 30, 2009 at 4:16 PM

He sounds like a 13 year old having his first crush, he needs to grow up and act like an adult.

clearbluesky on June 30, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Not me. I would say “Get your things and leave.”

Brat on June 30, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Is this one of the other women?

Prepare to be amazed

faraway on June 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Um, how did no one else comment on that photo!? My goodness…no comment, no comment at all.

nickj116 on June 30, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Oh … it’s the end of the day, Mark.

progressoverpeace on June 30, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Good grief. Please spare us. If he must continue down this path, he could just commit Harry Carry and get it over with.

petefrt on June 30, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Better learn this now, rather than the day after he wins the GOP nomination for 2012…

RedSoxNation on June 30, 2009 at 4:18 PM

He’s just writing the lead actor’s lines for his movie script in real time.

econavenger on June 30, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Sanford should hook up with Edward’s (Demorat, former Senator, former veep nominee) old fling; he can help that chick care for Eddy’s love child.

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 4:18 PM

faraway on June 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Very nice. But, unfortunately, I don’t support someone based on their looks. I tend to stay away from the whole cult of personality business.

amerpundit on June 30, 2009 at 4:18 PM

nickj116 on June 30, 2009 at 4:16 PM

time for a post all to itself on that one

battleoflepanto1571 on June 30, 2009 at 4:19 PM

He is sending a very clear message to his wife that, whether she had wanted to or not, if she has any pride, it is time for her to move on without him.

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 4:19 PM

So what’s “crossing the line”?

Does it depend on what the definition of “is” is?

MadisonConservative on June 30, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I hope Jenny takes him to the cleaner in a divorce. Hopefully he’ll be living in a one-bedroom efficiency overlooking the laundry room in the near future.

He can’t stop poking karma with a pointed stick, can he?

SailorDave on June 30, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Seriously tell him its ok to make amends IN PRIVATE. At some point he will only embarrass his wife so such an extent she will not wish even to hear his name spoken. Never mention the public. He’s just a fool.

seymour on June 30, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Is this one of the other women?

Prepare to be amazed

faraway on June 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

No, she isn’t, idiot.

single stack on June 30, 2009 at 4:19 PM

So if one puts Immodium up the pooper, will that prevent diarrhea of the mouth?

Monica on June 30, 2009 at 4:19 PM

THIS is the guy people were touting as Presidential material? This guy?

If anyone thinks he can recover from this and aspire to anything more than a political consultant should remember this phrase:

You can polish a turd, but its still a turd.

portlandon on June 30, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Haha, good one, AP! I would have chased him down the street with some kind of weapon and then dashed home to meet the locksmith and remove his name from the bank accounts.

califcon on June 30, 2009 at 4:20 PM

What is this guy, 14?

Sign of the Dollar on June 30, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Is this one of the other women?

Prepare to be amazed

faraway on June 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I wasn’t prepared. Help. Where’s the defibrillator?

Daggett on June 30, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Is this one of the other women?

Prepare to be amazed

faraway on June 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Gosh darn that’s a hot picture!

Inside scoop on SC: The Lt. Governor there is a piece of trash who has been stopped numerous times for various traffic violations. Sanford may be a cad, but he’s still better than Andre’ Bauer by leaps and bounds! Even the liberal rag “The State” agrees with me in their editorial today.

Nor is it responsible to overlook what we know about Mr. Bauer as a person. Mr. Sanford acted in a grossly irresponsible way for one week. Mr. Bauer’s fits of irresponsibility and self-dealing have been a hallmark of his tenure: He intimidated the Transportation Department into paying him more than double its original offer for a sliver of land to widen a highway, and then “forgot” to report that sale as required by law. He barreled down Columbia’s Assembly Street at speeds up to 60 mph, running two red lights and so startling a police officer that he felt the need to pull a gun on Mr. Bauer. He used a police radio to try to call off troopers when he was driving 101 mph on his way home from a political event in a state car and, when that failed, escaped without even a warning by making the trooper think he was a high-ranking law enforcement officer. Even before he was elected, he sent out campaign flyers designed to make it look like all the GOP gubernatorial candidates had endorsed him (they had not), and then bragged about his trickery.

SouthernGent on June 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Is this one of the other women?

Prepare to be amazed

faraway on June 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I don’t expect a Maxim photoshoot, so this will do nicely. ;-)

I especially liked this quote from the interview:

“My favorite movies are sports movies, “Hoosiers,” “Rudy”. They both were about the underdog working hard and being successful because preparation met opportunity at the right time. I love those movies.”

Any woman who loves those movies is alright in my book.

Doughboy on June 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Not me. Hit the road, Jack. All he’s doing is damaging his children more.

And I agree with Blake, I’m starting to believe that he’s doing this on purpose. Push her to the point that she makes the separation permanent, then he can point and say “See, what a shrew she is.”

Sarah2053 on June 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Breaking News: Mark Stanford makes another statement:

nickj116 on June 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I like Willie Nelson’s ex-wife’s approach. Willie kept coming home drunk, and a cheater to boot. One night he came home drunk, she wrapped him up like a burrito in a sheet, and beat the hell out of him with a broom.

I would not take him back. He is extremely self-centered, and a lunatic to boot. He really should not be allowed around his kids until he gets himself together. If he is this unbalanced, can you imagine what he is saying to his kids!!!!!!!

It is one thing for Jenny to have to deal with this, she is an adult. But those kids need him to shut-up and resign. He needs rehab!

freeus on June 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM

jennifernaz on June 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Gorilla glue and an airless crypt is my preference for him.

eaglesdontflock on June 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Sounds like the guy just can’t keep it in his pants, just like Clinton. At least Clinton didn’t call Lewinsky his soul mate!

thevastlane on June 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM

nickj116 on June 30, 2009 at 4:16 PM

I commented (in another thread maybe) as follows:

Holy moley!

petefrt on June 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM

/facepalm

Good Lord Sanford…STFU!

Nobody wants to hear about your sordid betrayal. This isn’t your weekend poker night with your buddies, we don’t give a flying fark! What is inspiring this buffoon to keep opening his mouth and spout the details of his affair?!?

Geministorm on June 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM

He said of some encounters that he never “crossed the ultimate line”. Is that some kind of David Carradine reference?

dedalus on June 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM

‘My people’ have a term for Governor Sanford: “Schmuck”.

What a putz…

E T Cartman on June 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Two terms! My people have two terms for Governor Sanford: “Shmuck”, “putz” and “menuval”.

Oooo-ah! My people have three terms – three terms….

I’ll come in again.

Shy Guy on June 30, 2009 at 4:23 PM

This is not a bad idea on his part. Kind of a President Clinton strategy He gets all of the skeletons out of the closet (cause you know the media will keep digging for as long as they can get a story out of it), and then if any of this is brought back up he can claim it is “old news that he already asked for and recieved forginess”

If he can survive now he will be fine.

LincolntheHun on June 30, 2009 at 4:23 PM

He met this other woman, sent her some emails, they boink, they boink again, they boink a third time. There’s a 7 month boinkless period and then they boink, and then the doodoo hits the fan. I don’t see soulmate in this picture.

Are they soulmates to the point that she is willing to give up seeing her children? Is he willing to give up seeing his?

Blake on June 30, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Would someone please buy him some hand lotion.

easyone on June 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM

thevastlane on June 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM

At least Maria is attractive.

Daggett on June 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM

NO WAY IN HELL.

pullingmyhairout on June 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM

He’s doing such a great job of it too!

gwelf on June 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM

He’s gay.

MadisonConservative on June 30, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Ha! He does sound gay doesn’t he!? “soulmate” eewww… perhaps he was, uh, “blowing off” more than just steam with his buddies on those trips out of town…. ;)

max1 on June 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I’m going with slow-motion nervous breakdown. This is only going to get worse.

d-mitch on June 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM

As Joe Biden said…

Mark my words.

He’s gay.

MadisonConservative on June 30, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Paging Mike Rogers, Paging Mike Rogers, clean up stomp in the gutter on aisle 10

GoodBoy on June 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Please just shut up for your kids sake. OY!

Oil Can on June 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM

OMG..it’s like we are his therapist and he feels the need to unload.

ramrants on June 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I feel a bit disgusted that I could have potentially supported this guy for President.

Chubbs65 on June 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Gov. Sanford….Mark…..from the rest of us faithful men, please FOAD.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM

He’s talking…and he can’t shut up!

kingsjester on June 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Wow.

Their marriage counselor is seriously not charging enough.

simon on June 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM

weak

gatorboy on June 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM

If this guy is such a stud maybe he has a future in pornos?

izoneguy on June 30, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Too late to keep his zipper shut. He should at least zipper his mouth shut.

Star20 on June 30, 2009 at 4:27 PM

But Sanford? I was sure that guy had the personal life of a cardboard cutout.

Siobhan on June 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I have to agree. Who could have seen this coming?

califcon on June 30, 2009 at 4:27 PM

I heard he is going to be on the Real World next.

Firebird on June 30, 2009 at 4:28 PM

You know who this benefits? John Ensign!

t.ferg on June 30, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Their marriage counselor is seriously not charging enough.

simon on June 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM

While the spiritual advisor is clearly overpaid.

Sanford also admitted he saw Chapur more times than previously disclosed, including what was to be a farewell meeting in New York chaperoned by a spiritual adviser soon after his wife found out about the affair.

Disturb the Universe on June 30, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Meh.

This has been the top story on my email homepage (Comcast) all day

Too bad nothing else is going on in the world. Oh wait….

Maybe Amy Winehouse can get in trouble again to get this soap-opera crap off the front page.

reaganaut on June 30, 2009 at 4:30 PM