Quote of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on June 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

“But Kristol’s charge was seconded by Randy Scheunemann, a longtime foreign policy adviser to McCain who is also close to the Standard editor and was thought to be a Palin ally within the campaign.

‘Steve Schmidt has a congenital aversion to the truth,’ Scheunemann said. ‘On two separate and distinct occasions, he speculated about about Governor Palin having post-partum depression, and on the second he threatened that if more negative publicity about the handling of Governor Palin emerged that he would leak his speculation [about post-partum depression] to the press. It was like meeting Tony Soprano.’

Schmidt said Scheunemann’s charges were ‘categorically untrue.’…

‘Bill Kristol, going back to the time of the campaign, has taken a lot of cheap shots at the campaign without ever offering a plausible path to victory,’ Schmidt said. ‘He’s in the business of ad hominem insults and criticism.’…

‘At end of campaign there were a series of leaks that were so damaging that it was consuming the 24-hour cable news cycle. Leaks to reporters where Sarah Palin was called all manner of names. [McCain senior adviser] Rick Davis and I jointly felt that was outrageous. So we made an attempt for the first time in the campaign to try to ID who was leaking information that was so damaging and demoralizing to a campaign that was in very difficult circumstances,’ Schmidt said.

‘What was discovered was an email from a very senior staff member to Bill Kristol that then entered into the news current and continued the negative in-fighting stories for an additional news cycles. I recommended tough medicine for that individual that was carried out,’ Schmidt said, again referring to Scheunemann. ‘Bill Kristol might not have liked that decision, and he might be mad about what happened to his friend, but going all the way back he has been a part of this story and I’ve preserved his confidentiality in that until now. But his use of his public forums to take a personal fight and make character attacks is just simply dishonest and wrong.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Just let’s not talk about the public healthcare option. *haha

AnninCA on June 30, 2009 at 11:24 PM

No need to. We have a public healthcare option.

Fed45 on July 1, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Limerick on July 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Oh my God! That is some good thinking. And we know what kind of people they are. Classy, honorable, achievers, etc.

cjs1943 on July 1, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Sarah, I still love you, even when you’re not wearing your running outfit, and even though you’re not available. :(

Daggett on July 1, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Dead people
turtles
manatees

blatantblue on June 30, 2009 at 11:29 PM

And one large blond whale.

Upstater85 on June 30, 2009 at 11:30 PM

FTW

Those ain’t herpes, they’re barnacles.

TMK on July 1, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Waterboard him.

Blake on July 1, 2009 at 12:53 AM

McCain had no control over his flunkies. Imagine if he had won all the White House feuds that would have sprouted.

Speedwagon82 on July 1, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Palin and Romney will definitely be on the ticket together in 12. Doesn’t matter to me who’s on top.

They both have strengths; He with the economy and she with the personality/fight factor. They’ll make a great team. Mark my words.

ErinF on June 30, 2009 at 11:19 PM

No they won’t, not if Romney is on the top.

If he wins the primary, his people in his campaign will savage Palin. Mitt does not have much courage and he’s wobbly and the same kind of in-fighting will develop and Sarah won’t get to be herself.

What Sarah needs is a HAMMER, a loyal split your head hammer that nobody in the campaign f**ks with once she has delegated something.

A campaign must have all working off the same vision and when decisions are made, the entire team swings together like a flock of birds in sync despite if you don’t agree with the decision. THAT is professionalism and McCain’s campaign didn’t have it.

She needs loyalty. That is why Meg and her are together. She trusts Meg.

She will have to build her team up from people she can gel with who are loyal, knowledgable, but NOT from the existing GOP infrastructure.

She will run as an outsider and will not need as many outsiders as people think.

Sapwolf on July 1, 2009 at 1:12 AM

She will run as an outsider and will not need as many outinsiders as people think.

FIFMe

Sapwolf on July 1, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Sapwolf on July 1, 2009 at 1:13 AM

McCain either has to get dependent flunkies or he has to get Depends for not being able to control his flunkies.

bayview on July 1, 2009 at 1:15 AM

No they won’t, not if Romney is on the top.

I disagree. He’s a class act. And very smart. Smart enough to know he will need a person like her to be a winning ticket.

Romney is not a powermonger like McVain.

ErinF on July 1, 2009 at 1:22 AM

FYI. Palin is hot.

Ampersand on July 1, 2009 at 1:22 AM

Hmm, Steve Schmidt’s career record…

95 Kentucky AG – Lost
98 CA LtG – Lost
98 CA/US Sen – Lost
99 US Pres (Primary) – Lost
04 US Pres – Won
06 CA Gov – Won
08 US Pres – Lost

So, taken at face value he was 2-7, not good. But looking more closely it gets worse. In 2004, Rove was running the show and in 2006 he got Arnold re-elected…not a Republican (in anything other then name).

18-1 on July 1, 2009 at 1:27 AM

ErinF on July 1, 2009 at 1:22 AM

Erin,

I don’t believe he will be able to run a disciplined campaign without his people backbiting Sarah.

She will not get a chance to let her wings spread as Veep for Romney. It would be better for her to pass on the Veep spot in the very unlikely scenario that he wins the primary.

I’m not lookin forward to more weak men unwilling to come to her defense when the MSM attempts to savage her again.

We need Maximus from Gladiator, not some Brideshead Revisited type who won’t stand by his Veep as she would stand by him.

Sapwolf on July 1, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Romney is not a powermonger like McVain.

ErinF on July 1, 2009 at 1:22 AM

pfft…

equanimous on July 1, 2009 at 1:47 AM

“Right hand man” is not a natural role for her. She’s an alpha.
Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 11:59 PM

I believe this statement to be absolutely true. If Palin isn’t at the top of the ticket, she’s not going to be anyone ELSE’s “second banana” (again). She doesn’t do well in that role. She didn’t win when she rans for Lt. Gov. either, but when she ran for Gov., she won. In the same vein, she didn’t win when she ran for Vice President, but when she runs for President…..

Uh…what? Remind me again about the roles of a campaign manager/strategist and an EDITOR of a magazine (that has nothing to do with the campaign). What a ridiculous statement! Kristol wasn’t part of the campaign! It wasn’t his “job” to offer up some “paths to victory”. What a completely idiotic statement from a completely idiotic schmuck.

LiquidH2O on July 1, 2009 at 1:55 AM

The democrats always are hardest on those with high potential on conservative side. The main stream media are conspirators in their efforts to smear. It is never over policy it is personal. They throw tons of mud trying to get just some stick. McCain is a wimp. He should have gone on attack and called Obama what he is, a Communist.
Here is must reading

When they attack we need to expose. Swift Boat was true, but it is used as a term now as some negative campaign tactic. They should have exposed what Al Gore did after Vietnam how he switched sides from War Hero to Protester lier. He got other guys who never even saw action testify to congress about Vietnam GIs being war criminals, none of it true or typical of our guys in Vietnam. Yet to today many have this impression that the Vietnam vet was some kind of monster. Its the Liberals who are the monsters and perverter’s of the truth. They talk vomit lies, which they should be made to eat.

Ed Laskie on July 1, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Here is must reading

I think it’s a bad idea for Republicans to “go on the attack”. And I don’t mean in terms of attacking this administration’s policies and plans (they should do THAT till the cows come home), what I mean is, they shouldn’t engage when the topic becomes personal. Issue a statement saying “whatever” is false, but then MOVE ON. Be about the ISSUES. Republicans (especially my beloved Palin) keep falling into the SAME TRAP of “tit for tat”. Oh, they said this, so I’m going to say that. Oh, they called me a name, so I’m going to call them a name back. Oh, they hurt me, so I’m going to hurt them. Blah blah blah! God d*mnit!!! SOMEONE BE A F-ing ADULT here and say, ‘This is bull sh*t, let’s engage in discussions that really matter.” But this “back and forth” nonsense has to stop. SOMEONE had better decide to be ABOVE this school-yard nonsense, and that “someone” better be the Republicans and their party.

LiquidH2O on July 1, 2009 at 2:17 AM

Sour grapes are hard to swallow.

Miss Molly on July 1, 2009 at 2:42 AM

Here’s my depressing prediction:

The Republican ticket will be Romney/Pawlenty.

Mitt will win the nomination, and be sure to not make McCain’s “mistake.”

I personally like both Romney and Pawlenty, but that particular combination would get slaughtered by Obama/????* in 2012, even if Barack’s popularity by then is down in the 40s.

* ???? because I strongly suspect Plugs will not be on the 2012 ticket.

notropis on July 1, 2009 at 2:43 AM

When i say attack I’m not talking about personal attacks on them or calling names. It’s about exposing them on their tactics or exposing them for their true beliefs. Calling Obama a communist is true. Saying that he is the extreme liberal no one with any knowledge on ether side could deny that. Calling him a lier is shocking but true. Don’t go out and tell lies or talk about their personal life. The problem is it’s different standards for left and right. They can say the most outrageous lies and no one calls them on it. We expose them on policy or way of thinking and it’s call dirty politics. McCain is too liberal and too nice to win. Don’t give the People too much credit for being adults. They are busy watching TV and not in real life. Look what the majority of the people did. They thought what we need is change, they didn’t care that it would ruin the country. They bought Obama’s lies even though anyone with any small knowledge of his past record would see his beliefs match that of Karl Marx. I’m sorry but I don’t think Americans are smart. We are so proud and think we are so smart that we are destroying the best system of government created in history. If you don’t respond to this stuff many assume its true. You cannot stand above it all and ignore it. You should have a team that can respond and also keep on message. They are well organized on digging up smear and thugs that intimidate. We need to attack with facts, no matter how shocking to other side. They will scream and accuse us of dirty politic, while they really play dirty.
It is enough to just expose them on that and how they play dirty and drive it home repeatedly until they are labeled as the party of dirty politics. Playing nice don’t work.

Ed Laskie on July 1, 2009 at 2:57 AM

All I want to know is who is the best candidate for Australia’s interests?

I’m a nervous that with Obama in the Whitehouse America will decline.

A strong USA means a secure Australia. A weaker USA means a less secure Australia with US influence waning in Asia it left to the whims of China or Indonesia.

Crux Australis on July 1, 2009 at 3:12 AM

Steve Schmidt has become completely unhinged.

Jdripper on July 1, 2009 at 3:20 AM

’m a nervous that with Obama in the Whitehouse America will decline.
Crux Australis on July 1, 2009 at 3:12 AM

Sorry Crux for what has happen in US. You have to understand that the Americans have been duped into electing a Communist into the Whitehouse. Romney is light years difference, just about anyone would be better for Australia than Obama. I’m afraid your on your own for next three years. If he gets second term you will see many Americans looking to exit and look for freedom such as Australia. It makes me very sad to see my country who many looked to for leading the fight for freedom and free markets, now appease our common adversaries. Australia has always supported the fight for freedom and free markets. Now I’m sorry you guys have to take lead and maybe America will come back to it senses. These idiots are running up the US debt which is being financed by China, so if China wants to take more territory they can do so, as the US is selling its soul to pay for lazy people who don’t work or pay tax, but vote democratic. These idiots are well on path of destroying the USA. You see the US mainstream media has been telling the Americans how much everyone hates us. They have conspired to have a worthless communist elected into the white house.

Ed Laskie on July 1, 2009 at 3:34 AM

Ed Laskie on July 1, 2009 at 2:57 AM

Ok, I misunderstood. I thought you were referencing, for example, this Steve Schmuck guy saying Palin had PPD and encouraging her to come back and say something nasty. I think that would be a horrible mistake for her. I think that if she wants to BE the President she should start thinking and acting and RE-acting ‘Presidential’ and not like a person with ‘bones to pick’.

As far as what your ACTUAL point was, ;)…I’m still not sure I agree. I agree with the PRINCIPLE of what you’re saying, but not necessarily the approach. Ok, you and I (I’m going to assume) are into politics. We KNOW what the HELL is going on. We know the policies and understand the consequences of what’s being said and done in Washington right now, and WHO, in essence are the good guys and bad guys. And we’re “angry” for a reason! But you’re absolutely right when you say that the vast majority of Americans are stupid (and I’ll throw in uninformed). They don’t know what we know. And if we, as individuals or as a Party, ‘walk’ up to them and start throwing out insults and derogatory (though, true) remarks about some person or a group of people (the Democrats), it’s going to be US who come out looking crazy and bitter and whatever else. Let’s take this out of the political world for a second and put it in an everyday context. Let’s say you start a new job. You’re brand new to this ‘business’. You know no one and nothing. And at your first day at work you meet a guy who is angry and upset and does nothing but talk ‘shit’ about the boss. And then you meet this other guy who does nothing but sit there and smile politely at you and roll his eyes at the guy going off on a tangent about the boss. Who would you be more attracted too? The guy talking shit could be 100% RIGHT in EVERYTHING he’s saying about the boss, but his personality…his approach makes you not want to listen. So, it is the same with politics (I believe). I think the fundamental problem with Republicans is that they don’t know how to get a point across without either A) NEVER making the point or B) Coming off as some far right-wing nut job. There has to be a steady and stable approach to getting the point across and I think the first step is to find common ground (i.e. none of us want to pay higher taxes, especially during a recession and increasing joblessness), and then consistently make the point (i.e. what the Democrats are proposing will do EXACTLY what none of us want, therefore we have to stop this), in a decent manner…then you’re done. Ultimately, (after the novel I just wrote. Sorry), I think trying to get a point across in a negative, angry manner isn’t going to help out your cause. Especially when you’re dealing with people who don’t know what you’re angry about to begin with. But that’s just my opinion.

LiquidH2O on July 1, 2009 at 3:36 AM

What, Kristol’s supposed to be doing YOUR maddog job?

Hey, Steve, I don’t make a living doing ANY political, and even I was smart enough to know that Mark McKinnon — who, as a Karl Rove aide in the George W. Bush campaign in 2000, hired Yvette Lozano, a Democrat who ended up sending a binder full of Bush debate prep materials to the Gore campaign via overnight express. Only the honesty of the Gore campaign worker who returned the binder saved Bush from a thrashing in that debate. Anyway, I bring that up because he quit McCain because he didn’t want to run against Obama.

So we know you really know about hiring the right people, huh, Steve? People who don’t get discouraged, who are professionals.

Heckuva job, Schmiddy.

L.N. Smithee on July 1, 2009 at 3:37 AM

Ed Laskie on July 1, 2009 at 3:34 AM

How can America be so stupid?

I believe that though not perfect it is the best thing this planet has going for it.

I really like Sarah Palin but the MSM and the Democrats and the RINOs will never let her have a look at the Whitehouse.

One very depressed and nervous Aussie here.

I just hope that Americans wake up in time enough to save their country.

Crux Australis on July 1, 2009 at 3:50 AM

How can America be so stupid?

Because Americans are self-centered. If it doesn’t personally affect them they have no interest in it. People are too busy downloading Apps to their iPhones to pay attention too, or even CARE about what’s going on in their country and with their government thus making them stupid (at worst) and/or uninformed (at best). It also doesn’t help that ‘Americans’…rather than doing research and learning about what’s REALLY going on, prefer to have a biased, slanted media tell them what to think and who/what to like and dislike. :/

On a slightly different tone, I’m appreciative of your concern and remarks about the greatness of this country. :) And at the same time it depresses me. Because I’ve come to notice that people in other countries have a higher regard for this nation then the people who live here (and the bastard that ‘runs’ it). :(

As far as Sarah Palin is concerned, I think she has a chance. There are obstacles she has to overcome, but with the right IDEAS and her ability to charismatically present them…I think she can not only “look” at the White House, but move into it as well. :)

LiquidH2O on July 1, 2009 at 4:08 AM

OT: Obama now stands against President Uribe, the most popular anti Communist president in Colombian history (and our staunchest ally in Latin America), and makes common cause with the most hated Communist dictators in Latin American history; Chavez, Ortega, and the Castros.

elduende on July 1, 2009 at 4:08 AM

elduende on July 1, 2009 at 4:10 AM

elduende on July 1, 2009 at 4:08 AM

Oh hell no! President Uribe is my “homeboy” (as my pops like to say). I love that guy, man. I keep up with all the latest news on him when I watch Caracol every night.

Anyways, can any of us really say we’re ‘surprised’ by this news? President Obama would prefer to be with his own like-minded communists than stick with freedom loving leaders. Has anyone noticed that the rest of the world has gone RIGHT (Sarkozy, Merckel, Uribe, Panama, the majority of the EU), while America has gone LEFT? It’s like living in the twilight zone.

LiquidH2O on July 1, 2009 at 4:19 AM

I watch Caracol every night.
LiquidH2O on July 1, 2009 at 4:19 AM

The ladies on that channel are !

elduende on July 1, 2009 at 5:03 AM

Crux Australis on July 1, 2009 at 3:50 AM

Dont worry. American people are neither stupid nor uninformed. When you have hundreds of thousands of people taking to streets protesting taxes, big government and loss of freedom, you can’t call those people stupid. Which other country ha such a population?

Obama won partly by guilting people about his color and race and partly by the incredibly fortuitous economic crash. He won’t be elected again.

As for Sarah, every primary In the GOP has had this kind of backbiting going for her. She’s a tough lady and she can take this and she has a rapidly growing army which can and will fight for her. I actually think all this is good for her because she knows now what’s involved.

The problem with George Bush was he had a relatively easy primary adn he got into WH, he faced those leaks n subterfuge from his own state dept and he never struck back, thinking of politic in nineties. But times have changed and his graciousness was out of date.

Sarah is a scrappy fighter and she’ll need this hard training to get into WH and to clean up the mes created by Obama and others. Though I’m personally committed to Sarah, I and others will work hard for any Republican and put Obama out of business.

I am not American, an Aussie like you. Don’t worry mate, America will come roaring back.

promachus on July 1, 2009 at 5:12 AM

On another note I don’t think that Australians are any smarter than Americans.

Kevin Rudd is a lot like Obama except without the charisma or the skin colour. He has absolutely no idea on how to run an economy other than to throw hundreds of billions of dollars away.

He is going one step further than with socialized health care system and is taking control of each states health system and putting it under federal control.

It also saddens me that Peter Costello is going to leave politics. He was the only one capable of wiping the floor with Rudd and Labor.

Crux Australis on July 1, 2009 at 5:17 AM

Crux Australis on July 1, 2009 at 5:17 AM

Actually, I think Aussies were a bit worse. Americans at least ahd the excuse of the financial crash. What excuse did Aussies have? They threw the sterling John Howard who produced the best economy in decades for Kevin Rudd. It’s been downhill ever since.

I am in India right now and I am impressed how smart they’ve been in elections. Them and Europeans, electing people committed to market economy. Who’d have thunk Aussies and American would be beat by Europeans and Indians?

promachus on July 1, 2009 at 5:25 AM

It’s obvius that Schmit is the guilty one, he wasn’t hunting those that were smearing Palin only those that leaked who those smearers.

the_nile on July 1, 2009 at 5:53 AM

I don’t believe half of this nonsense. They sound like children. And most voters don’t even know or care who these people are. They just know they don’t like politics and they don’t want to pay attention. No wonder so many people just tune out the news.

Terrye on July 1, 2009 at 6:40 AM

Any republican with a brain should not involve themselves with any of these “advisors” from the mccain campaign. I won’t vote for any that do, it will put serious doubt on thier judgement, credibility and authenticity. Part of the disease that is killing the republican party is the fact that these political operatives that “advise” the republican leadership are just professional operatives not conservatives. I’d bet money more then 50% of mccains campaign braintrust voted for barry. They are just pr people.

peacenprosperity on July 1, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Bob Dole was a better candidate than Juan McCain. McCain lost the election, not Gov. Palin.

Sarah Palin will have my support (money and vote) come 2012.

Zorro on July 1, 2009 at 6:55 AM

McCain was Democrat-Lite before and after the election
People didn’t vote FOR McCain, they voted AGAINST Obama.

Jeff from WI on July 1, 2009 at 7:09 AM

Everything about Palin is a freaking circus. She invites this unwanted attention, because she craves the spotlight. So run this freak in 2012, the media craves it, the Democrats crave it, and all the wingnuts believe Sarah is the salvation. She’s dumber than a box of rocks, but in her head she thinks she’s Einstein. She is a media circus. Run Sarah run!

athensboy on July 1, 2009 at 7:12 AM

Crux Australis on July 1, 2009 at 3:12 AM asks: “What is Romney’s foreign policy experience and what are his foreign policy credentials?”

Good question. Answer is really none.

For all the comments critical of McCain here, McCain does have foreign policy experience, foreign policy credentials and, I add, foreign policy expertise. It was his misfortune to run in a year when the economy was paramount. We will, however, before Obama is done, rue the day that the subject of foreign policy experience, credentials and expertise was disregarded by the electorate.

Phil Byler on July 1, 2009 at 7:20 AM

athensboy on July 1, 2009 at 7:12 AM

It wouldn’t matter who was running as a Republican, you’d want to bash them.That’s OK, I despise Obama & the DEMS.
Considering the agenda you’re, obviously with your name, supporting, I guess it’s expected.

Jeff from WI on July 1, 2009 at 7:22 AM

athensboy on July 1, 2009 at 7:12 AM

bbbbbwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaa…stop your crying little girl. sarah has more talent in her right hand then oboobi has in his whole world. he’s a loser who’s friggin our country up in a terrible way.yet you cry about sarah.what’s the matter. afraid she won’t like a little girl like you?

SHARPTOOTH on July 1, 2009 at 7:26 AM

athensboy on July 1, 2009 at 7:12 AM

athensboy invites this wanted attention because he craves the spotlight on HA. He runs a freak show today and no one at HA craves it and all the lefty nuts believe athensboy is correct and its hard to think of salvation for him. He is dumber than a box of rocks and thinks he is Optimus Prime. He is an apartment with no furniture and to HA he is a one man circus. Please, run athensboy, run away!!!!

Coastal Paradise on July 1, 2009 at 7:28 AM

The fact is this: ANY Republican operative who spoke about Sarah Palin to Todd Purdim knew that they were contributing to a hit piece about her. That smacks of disloyalty and aiding and abetting.

Of course, if you’re trying to groom yourself for a job with the Mittens Campaign, it makes sense.

Meantime, Sullivan has descended back into Trig Trutherism, sadly.

victor82 on July 1, 2009 at 7:42 AM

Crux Australis on July 1, 2009 at 5:17 AM

Take heart, Crux. The good folks on USS Houston that followed HMAS Perth into that Java invasion beach are still kicking and scratching. We aren’t done yet. Sure, we are bleeding like Rocky Balboa, but this fight ain’t over yet.

Limerick on July 1, 2009 at 7:50 AM

What does “categorically untrue” mean? Does it mean that it’s true, but not categorically? that it’s in the category of falsehoods, but not exactly untrue?

Phoenician on July 1, 2009 at 8:03 AM

She’s Obama is dumber than a box of rocks baracks, but in her his head she thinks she’s he’s Einstein. She is a The media circus are his whores. Run Sarah run!

athensboy on July 1, 2009 at 7:12 AM

Fixed it.

Right_of_Attila on July 1, 2009 at 8:06 AM

athensboy on July 1, 2009 at 7:12 AM

Your act is so boring!

Come up with a new shtick, putz!

blatantblue on July 1, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Phil Byler on July 1, 2009 at 7:20 AM

McCain didn’t lose because of the economy! McCain lost because he was the wrong candidate to unite the party. In fact, he was/is one of the chief instigators in attempting to disenfranchise social conservatives from his mix of left-leaning Democrat wannabes. McCain made it clear from when he got the nomination (rigged in his favor by GOP primary procedures put in place to help Rudy) that he didn’t give a rat’s arse about the social conservatives and he’d be courting the “disenchanted Hillary supporters.” He was willing to give them amnesty, Hillarycare, and a whole range of concessions that alientated his own base.

It really is that simple. McCain lost because he didn’t respect his base and assumed that he could automatically count on their votes. He got most of those votes but none of the grassroots efforts that got GWB elected twice. That his staff is so full of hate-filled bastards who would to these underhanded character attacks shows that we might have been better off with McCain in the Oval Office but his administration would have been just as unethical as the one we got.

highhopes on July 1, 2009 at 8:11 AM

I’m not giving a dime to the RNC until Palin is on the ticket in 2012.

Until then its Sarah’s PAC only.

bluelightbrigade on July 1, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Here’s what happened:

the McCain campaign f’d up. The probably wanted to go after Obama full scale but was held back by McCain himself. That meant they were always playing defense and the only way to win is to play offense. That was the most frustrating thing about the campaign. Then came Palin. They had a weapon in her, she got the base fired up, was willing to go for the jugular, and was the most popular person on the ticket. They choose to hide the weapon instead of using her to her full potential. She wanted to fight but they didn’t.

But the fact is they screwed up from day one of the general election. And those who still want to have a career in the Republican party are trying desperately to re-hab themselves by blaming her instead of themselves. Though I’m convinced that they have no future (if she remains remotely popular in the party) and are trying to destroy her in order to make up for their failings.

xax on July 1, 2009 at 8:27 AM

I’m not giving a dime to the RNC until Palin is on the ticket in 2012.

Until then its Sarah’s PAC only.

bluelightbrigade on July 1, 2009 at 8:17 AM

The objective for everybody appalled at the socialist takeover of DC by a Chicago street thug turned despot SHOULD be taking back the Congress in 2010. That is tough enough without worrying about Palin’s role in 2012. As things are going right now, Obama isn’t even going to allow a 2012 Presidential election unless it is one of those elections like just took place in Iran where the outcome is certain.

Face it, we have a dictator in power who in six months has nationalized the auto industry and siezed the banks. He is on his way to taking over healthcare and acting on a whole range of social issues that most Americans disagree with but are powerless to stop without thwarting the evil one’s hold on Congress. Don’t give to the RNC if you want (they have harmed themselves) but keep your eye on the ball and it is not Palin in 2012 at this point.

highhopes on July 1, 2009 at 8:28 AM

highhopes on July 1, 2009 at 8:28 AM

+100

doriangrey on July 1, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Ed Laskie on July 1, 2009 at 3:34 AM
LiquidH2O on July 1, 2009 at 3:36 AM

They aren’t stupid simply because the nation all of a sudden got a case of the stupid bug. American’s have been conspired against via the educational system. It’s been a long term program instituted by a certain powerful group to gain control of minds by creating a generation of uninformed, selfish, rebellious, communitarianism. It’s the same group that created communism, socialism. The same who funded both sides of the two world wars. It’s the same powerful group that controls the money supply, they fund the movements, the foundations, the think tanks, and especially the politicians.

It’s an orchestrated plan to disengage people and flood them with porn, pop culture, and a biased news media. The plan also is to eliminate Christ and Christians from wherever they can, much like they did during the Christian Holocaust of Russia during the Bolshevik Revolution.

He who controls the money supply controls the nation.

May God have mercy on our nation, and may your eyes be opened.

True_King on July 1, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Coastal Paradise on July 1, 2009 at 7:28 AM

It is amazing that any Leftist would spend time on HA. It’s a testament to the fact that underlying their entire program is nothing but lies, but lies that, if believed in collectively, can endure longer than lies that are only believed in by half the population.

venividivici on July 1, 2009 at 8:51 AM

highhopes on July 1, 2009

2010 and 2012 are not mutually exclusive goals. 2010 is more immediate but 2012 requires a longer run-up. We can and should work on both…once we know who our candidates are.
I still think the tougher job will be getting around the Obama-fellating, state run media.

SKYFOX on July 1, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Rick Davis and I jointly felt that was outrageous.

That’s what democrat socialists do. They create the mess, then try to find and punish the real culprits!

SouthernGent on July 1, 2009 at 9:00 AM

The quote link, according to Jonathan Martin, progressive whole cloth merchant of misery.

It’s not so clever as inconsiderate failing to name the quoted source in text when linking unidentified articles within a Jack-In-The-Box. The abusive Jonathan Martin’s forum site is being padded by hits. Friends of a feather still mucking together.

We are facing a multitude of crises. These guys just refuse to get past themselves and their own failures. They are just like Obama; it’s all about them. No, it is about US. They want to bitch about something, then accomplish the dissolution of ACORN to disable corruption, and lobby a loyal opposition in Washington to halt Obama’s Marxist agenda.

maverick muse on July 1, 2009 at 9:03 AM

I wish they’d get a new pick of her to use. That wink is getting old.

Jeff from WI on July 1, 2009 at 9:04 AM

The larger game is 2012, of course, but in the interim, the conflict within the Republican Party must be played out.

What is going on is the old conflict between the Rockefeller and the Goldwater/Reagan wing of the Republican Party over who owns the future of this Party. The Beltway GOP with its huge fundraising mojo represents the Rockefeller wing. That wing has its strengths: they know how to govern and how to pull the levers. Their last successful candidate was George H.W. Bush. His son was really a fusionist candidate between the two wings until the wheels came off.However, that wing doesn’t know how to win National elections anymore. Mitt Romney is their representative.

Palin has come out of nowhere to sieze the high ground of the Goldwater wing of the Party. By her compelling personal story, magnetic leadership qualities, and personal convictions, she has inherited the Mantle of Reagan. This is not something the Beltway G.O.P. expected, and they are uncomfortable with Sarah.

Expect a repeat of the 1976 conflict between Ford and Reagan, only the rank and file will be with Palin, of this I am convinced. Bush the Younger poisoned the well with the Republicans in the country about the Beltway crowd.

If Obama looks popular going into 2011, Palin will take a pass to 2016. She will gladly let Mittens get killed by a popular Obama. If he looks vulnerable; if we are suffering from stagflation and reverses overseas, she will go at him like Harry Truman at Thomas E. Dewey.

victor82 on July 1, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Sadly, this conflict was NOT RESOLVED at the decisive 1964 Convention, btw. Richard Nixon was another fusionist candidate who’s governance from the center was mostly about getting Tricky Dick reelected but was never about downticket candidates.

Reagan had to stew in California while Nixon established OSHA, EPA, and in general governed like Roosevelt. However, bear in mind that Nixon was what people wanted in 1972. His electoral triumph is second only to FDR’s 1936 drubbing of Alf Landon.

victor82 on July 1, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Schmidt sounds like he’s trying to get more invites to georgetown parties, and it seems the best way to do that is to bash palin and republicans.

screw him. He’s another traitor like Powel and spector.

they’ll be kissing conservative butt after the 2010 elections, and hopefully they’ll be shown to the door.

val647 on July 1, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Schmidt said Scheunemann’s charges were ‘categorically untrue.’

Maybe they’re categorically untrue, but are they false?

Kralizec on July 1, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Limerick on July 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Interesting.

Kralizec on July 1, 2009 at 9:56 AM

blatantblue on July 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Good God! Michael Stipe again!

Lanceman on July 1, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Any Republican who feeds negative information about Sarah Palin to the leftist media should be canned from the Party, pure and simple.

Sarah Palin is one of the strongest and savviest candidates to help the Conservative movement in years, probably topped only by Ronald Reagan and Newt Gingrich (when he led th 1994 takeover of the House). Did she make some mistakes? Yes–she was unprepared for the savage attacks of the MSM after her success in Republican-friendly Alaska. She didn’t realize that in one-on-one interviews with MSM reporters, they would attempt to trick her, make her look stupid, and leave her best responses on the cutting-room floor. She is much better in a debate format, where she can contrast her views with an opposing candidate, and rebut their views–most viewers thought she won the debate against Joe Biden, despite his long experience in the Senate.

The repeated attacks against Sarah Palin, and her handling them with grace and class, will only help woo more voters to her defense. Liberals attack her because the perceive her as a serious threat to their agenda, but Republicans, if they don’t have anything good to say about her, should take the Fifth Amendment. With “friends” like Schmidt, Sarah Palin (and other Republicans) don’t need enemies. Let Sarah Palin concentrate on governing Alaska, and educating herself on issues which concern the Lower 48 more than Alaska, in preparation for 2012.

I agree with some of the other posters here that Mitt Romney should be part of our ticket in 2012. Obama’s runaway spending will doubtless lead to hyperinflation and economic turmoil, and 2012 will be “it’s the economy, stupid”, which is Romney’s strong point. After four years of Obama bowing to Muslim kings and dictators, voters won’t give a hoot about Mormonism–at least Romney is pro-American.

Steve Z on July 1, 2009 at 10:25 AM

You cannot stand above it all and ignore it. You should need to have a team that can respond and also keep on message. They are well organized on digging up smear and thugs that intimidate. We need to attack with facts, no matter how shocking to other side. They will scream and accuse us of dirty politic, while they really play dirty.
..Where are they? The RNC?? Not!

blue1 on July 1, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Sorry, Blatant. I was referring to athensboy.

Lanceman on July 1, 2009 at 10:34 AM

True_King on July 1, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Tell me, is it difficult to hold all the world’s knowledge all at once? That must be some burden to understand all causes. I don’t envy that responsibility one bit.

daesleeper on July 1, 2009 at 11:21 AM

LiquidH2O on July 1, 2009 at 1:55 AM

Actually that explains quite a lot. McCain’s campaign manager sitting around and listening for “helpful” suggestions from the media on how to be exactly the candidate they think Obama should run against. And that schmuck Kristol refused to pull his weight; all he ever did was tell McCain that he was obviously going to get slaughtered doing what he was doing.

Poor guy. Sarah Palin must have been the ONLY time McCain didn’t take the advice Schmidt funneled through to him. No wonder he’s still on the rag about it.

logis on July 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Sounds to me like Schmidt is a lying prick. He went on a witch hunt because leaks were making him look bad. If this latest smear piece is really his handiwork, he clearly never gave a damn about Palin.

John on July 1, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Phil Byler on July 1, 2009 at 7:20 AM

There were two elections. In the Spring, foreign policy and Iraq were the main subjects and McCain was a good candidate in that environment. However in the Fall when the economy came to the forefront and no one cared about Iraq because of the success of the surge, McCain became just about the worst possible candidate that the GOP could’ve put forward.

PackerBronco on July 1, 2009 at 1:47 PM

peacenprosperity on July 1, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Bingo! Right on!

Requirement should be in this order:

1) Loyalty
2) Conservative
3) Knowledgable
4) Outsider from DC

If Sarah can get a team together with members with these requirements met, then she will run in 2012. But if she still has a shortage and spots to fill late in the process, she will have to postpone another 4 years.

The team does not have to be perfect, but must be a big improvement over McCain’s and similar in cohesion to Obama’s.

Sapwolf on July 1, 2009 at 2:18 PM

With Sarah’s Attorney General pick in Alaska, you can see she is starting to find good peopel. Sullivan (not that other idiot Sullivan in Anchorage) has a good background and let’s hope he is loyal. That is a pick that will follow her to DC possibly.

Sapwolf on July 1, 2009 at 2:19 PM

victor82 on July 1, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Great post.

+100

Sapwolf on July 1, 2009 at 2:21 PM

I’m not giving a dime to the RNC until Palin is on the ticket in 2012.

Until then its Sarah’s PAC only.

bluelightbrigade on July 1, 2009 at 8:17 AM

highhopes on July 1, 2009 at 8:28 AM

People focus too much on the presidential race. McCain lost this last time in large part because the Democrats took control of Congress in 2006 and destroyed the economy, but blamed it on Bush.

That said, we need both. We need to get control of Congress in 2010, and we need to get a solid conservative — probably Palin — elected president in 2012. It’ll take both to fix this country after the disaster we’re facing now.

tom on July 1, 2009 at 3:24 PM