Breaking: Say hello to Senator Al Franken; Update: Coleman concedes

posted at 2:35 pm on June 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

To no one’s great shock, the Minnesota Supreme Court has rejected Norm Coleman’s appeal of the election contest and awarded the Senate election to Al Franken.  The decision, expected last week, stated that Coleman failed to prove that recounting thousands of rejected ballots would have impacted the final results:

It is U.S. Sen. Al Franken.

The Minnesota Supreme Court today decided that Franken, a Democrat, won the highest number of votes in last year’s U.S. Senate race and deserves a signed election certificate.

The court said that Republican Norm Coleman didn’t prove that a lower court made mistakes requiring a rehearing of the case. Coleman had asked the court to order thousands of rejected absentee ballots counted. He had hoped the counting would allow him to overcome Franken’s 312-vote lead.

As I wrote before, the equal-protection argument Coleman used for this appeal had more chance of success in federal court rather than state court.  The state court kept itself to the issues of state law, rather than the more expansive federal issue of equal treatment of votes.  No one who followed the arguments at the court can be surprised by this decision, which was unanimous.

Coleman could push this into the federal courts, but he has yet to commit to doing so.  Tim Pawlenty indicated that he would follow the state Supreme Court’s direction in handling the election certificate, which means Franken will probably take his seat this week in the Senate.  If Coleman appeals to the federal court, he will have to also deal with Franken’s status as a seated Senator.

My guess — and this is just a guess — is that Coleman will call it a day.  We’ll soon see.

Update: Eric Black reports that the certificate was not specifically ordered.  Hmmm.  That gives Pawlenty an out, if he chooses to wait for a Coleman federal appeal.

Update II: Ignore my original update II.  ABC News sent out an old report, and I didn’t catch it at first.

Update III: Catching this via Twitter from Howard Kurtz — Norm Coleman has conceded.  He wants to focus on fishing more than the governor’s race for now, but I think he decided to stop now to preserve his viability within the state of Minnesota.  Probably not a bad decision for him personally.

Update IV: Coleman’s statement, as provided by his campaign:

“Ours is a government of laws, not men and women.  The Supreme Court of Minnesota has spoken and I respect its decision and will abide by the result.  It’s time for Minnesota to come together under the leaders it has chosen and move forward. I join all Minnesotans in congratulating our newest United States Senator – Al Franken.

“Just a few last words about my legal challenge.  Sure, I wanted to win.  Not just for myself but for my wonderful supporters and the important values I have always fought for.  I also thought it was important to stand up for enfranchising thousands of Minnesotans whose votes weren’t counted like the others were.  After all, issues and politicians come and go, but voting is fundamental.

“It is the essence of democracy so I knew we needed to do everything we could to get it right.

“I am forever grateful and humbled by the people of Minnesota who have given me the honor to represent them – and even more grateful for their wisdom, courage, patience and understanding over these past several months.

“The path that I take in the future is not nearly as important today as the path that we must now — all travel on together — to strengthen our state and our nation.

“I have never believed that my service is irreplaceable.  We have reached the point where further litigation damages the unity of our state, which is also fundamental.  In these tough times, we all need to focus on the future.  And the future today is we have a new United States Senator.

“I congratulate Al Franken and his victory in this election.  He now enjoys the advantage that our Congressional Delegation has over the other 525 people on Capitol Hill: he represents Minnesota.

“I know the great ideas, the amazing work ethic and the historic ability to come together to get things done in this state will help him greatly, as it has me.

“Speaking of which, I think we all should take a moment to thank Amy Klobuchar and her staff.  They have done a great job of carrying the burden of two Senators these last six months.  She is an extraordinary public servant.

“I don’t reach this point with any big regrets.  I ran the campaign I wanted.  I conducted the legal challenge I wanted.  And I have always believed you do the best you can and leave the results up to a higher authority.  I’m at peace with that.  As to my future plans, that’s a subject for another day.

“We live in a great country and a great state.  We can all have confidence that by some path we don’t yet know – one which we can all come together to lay out – we will arrive at the better future we all seek.

“Thank you and may God bless Minnesota and America.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

“No one who followed the arguments at the court can be surprised by this decision, which was unanimous.”

“Breaking: Say hello to Senator Al Franken”

I was shocked by your headline.

burt on June 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Al Fraken in there with Bernie Sanders? C-SPAN will be a whole lot more fun to watch at least.

ThePrez on June 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM

America is NOT dead. It is within each and every one of you, and you have the power to take the power within your hands. Lesser men have done it, but they were driven to do so!

What have you done, any of you, for Liberty?

LibertyBoyNYC on June 30, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I like your attitude but I doubt what you are saying is going to sink in much on this day, on this post.

This is extremely disheartening, even though we all knew it was coming.

Joe Caps on June 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Awww. The Democrats have added another ass to their herd.

Silver lining, this is actually good for us in 2010, right?

simon on June 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM

For you. You guys now have Absolute Power.

I never thought I’d say this, but Independence for Texas seems to be very possible now…

newton on June 30, 2009 at 2:49 PM

For America.

Now finally the “we need Republicans” excuse can go out the window and we can finally implement real solutions not suboptimal compromises.

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM

I’m really starting to feel like a bizarro version of Michelle Obama right about now. This is the first time I’ve started to feel less than proud of my country.

Well, maybe not the country. But some of the people in it…geeze. What the hell is wrong with people where this idiot can become a Senator? The really sad thing is, he’s probably not even one of the stupidest people there. I bet a good third of the Senate makes him look like a freaking MENSA member.

Interweb Troll on June 30, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Remember when MO elected a dead guy and how stupid they looked? They look like freaking geniuses next to the fine people of Minnesota.

Physics Geek on June 30, 2009 at 2:56 PM

First this guy, and now this guy. You’re doing yourself proud there Minnesota, keep up the good work.

clearbluesky on June 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

This puts Obama in a tough place for 2012. Does he stick with Biden or grab Al Franken for his VP choice?

BahahahahahahahahBAHahahahah.

TN Mom on June 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Now all you have to do is figure out why Ogabe won’t close Gitmo, won’t stop Predator attacks, and won’t work to legalize gay marriage.

Filibuster proof senate and he won’t try to legalize gay marriage? Why not?

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 2:54 PM

It just goes to show what a horde of mouth-breathing cretins supported Obama – he blatantly bullshitted them to gain their votes, and spared no time before shafting them balls-deep in the ass….and still they cheer him on!

LimeyGeek on June 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Filibuster proof senate and he won’t try to legalize gay marriage? Why not?

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Who the heck is Ogabe?

Even better if he legalizes gay marriage. It’s about time we raise the bar on equality and civil rights.

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

There is no where to go.

Mommypundit on June 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

From the headlines:

New worry for beta males: Weak sperm

Speaking of which:

Breaking: Say hello to Senator Al Franken

Guardian on June 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Guess the acorn system is still working strong.

christene on June 30, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I’m going to a wedding in Minnesota in August.
The groom is left/libertarian, the bride is uber-liberal, I’m right/libertarian and my husband is uber-conservative.
This should be really fun.
//sarc.
“Senator Franken-Stein”?
Ewwwwwww!

annoyinglittletwerp on June 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM

just how bad a professional politician Norm must have been to have been beaten by a first time running candidate who was a comedy writer.

Well, it kinda helped that Franken stole the election.

But hey, it was done with the approval of the Democrat politicians in Minnesota, so who are we to question this democratic outcome?

I have a great money savings tip – why hold elections at all?

Since Democrat politicians think they are unnecessary and they just find a way to steal them if they are slightly close, lets just have Great Leader appoint those to whom he owes political favors?

Would save a lot of money on ballots and on the creative ways Democrats have devised to “count” them.

NoDonkey on June 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM

So, after a lot of cheating and vote stealing etc the Democrats have managed to “win” another one. Congrats.

Terrye on June 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM

That’s how you know the America we have always known is dead.

newton on June 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM

That gives Pawlenty an out, if he chooses to wait for a Coleman federal appeal.

Oh pleeeeeze yes. Wait for the appeal.

If the RNC wants to do something useful, it can bankroll the federal appeal.

petefrt on June 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Well that is about a comforting as seeing an escaped mental patient with a case of dynamite.

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Fv,kin squareheads! Minnestoa is offically a joke state.
New Jersey laughs at you MN.

RobCon on June 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM

There is no where to go.

Mommypundit on June 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Oh yes, there is: underground.

newton on June 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM

What he lacks in intelligence he makes up for with arrogance.

Akzed on June 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM

How’s that projection of only 8% unemployment if the porkulus bill was passed working out for ya?

a capella on June 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM

My sympathies, Ed. I’ve got fifty bucks that says he punches someone on the Senate floor by the end of 2010.

capitalist piglet on June 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM

we should have the iraqui’s monitor our elections. the corruption is undeniable and unstoppable

rjoco1 on June 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Sucks to be a Republican right now.

bwconq on June 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Sucks to be an American right now.

This is great news!
mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 2:47 PM

You suck and your blog swallows

Hilts on June 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM

It’s about time we raise the bar on equality and civil rights.

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

To arse level?

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Too bad you are seeing it that way.

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM

capitalist piglet on June 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM

I’d applaud that, actually.

LimeyGeek on June 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Another straw on the camel’s back. This is getting interesting.

JiangxiDad on June 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM

It is . You couldn`t make this stuff up if you tried. At least capsize and travesty won`t go before the senate till Sep.

LSUMama on June 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM

What’s more damaging: escaped mental patient with a case of dynamite, or an ACORN representative with a box of voter registration cards?

WashJeff on June 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

a capella on June 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Not very good, I am writing a thank you note to the people that mismanaged the economy for the last 8 years.

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Too bad you are seeing it that way.

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Too bad you have closed the eyes of your mind and are keeping them shut by force.

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Too bad you are seeing it that way.

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Your rectum is bleeding

LimeyGeek on June 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Wow, Now we have an actual Democrat Senator that has ADMITTED to being a Communists. Things keep getting sicker every day.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

To arse level?

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM

No, to beacon of hope level.

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

We knew this day was coming. So – the silver lining is that when the good ship U.S.A. hits the rocks the democrats will be completely responsible and the backlash will be severe – thus culminating in a massive change in “leadership.” Or, in other words, one set of clowns will replace another set of clowns on a whole-scale basis. That is to say, if there is anything left of the good ship U.S.A. when the first set of clowns gets through. What could go wrong?

johnnybgood on June 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Holy shit, pass the Tylenol!

Sweet_Thang on June 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Dems now have total control of the House and a filibuster-proof mahority in the Senate. I can’t wait to see the nutroots’ reaction when the Dems still can’t (read: won’t) deliver the rainbows and unicorns they were promised during this psat election.

Dems have wished for this moment, and now they’re about to learn that age-old truism: be careful what you wish for; you just might get it.

I just wish the rest of us don’t end up paying the price for this.

Vic on June 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

WashJeff on June 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Can we put them together?

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM

I can only assume the citizens of Minnesota are *this close* to being brain dead. It’s hard to imagine this clown in the Senate.

dagny on June 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Your rectum is bleeding

LimeyGeek on June 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

That’s not very family value…

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

That would be Congress, FYI.

Thank the Democrat corps for their catastrophic contributions.

LimeyGeek on June 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Just remember something: Even Democrats concede that, historically speaking, it’s likely Republicans will pick up seats next year. Whatever you dish out, expect to get the same back. Just like your side’s surprise that vitriolic attitude from the past 8 years has been flung back at Obama.

Oh, and you’re still accountable to the American people. You’ll find that many of your plans will prove terribly unpopular with them, so I’ll be more than eager for their implementation.

amerpundit on June 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

The economy was doing rather well till about two years ago. About the same time the dims took control of congress. Coincidence? I think not.

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

The great stain of Minnesota.

artist on June 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

No kidding, you think he will do that? Ogabe is continuing the military discharges, defending DOMA, and equating homosexuality with incest but he will sign-off on gay marriage?

You would think he would do that soon, what with an ironclad majority now. *snort*

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Can we put them together?

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM

I will route the mental patient to the ACORN victory party.

WashJeff on June 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I will route the mental patient to the ACORN victory party.

WashJeff on June 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

LOL

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM

That’s not very family value…

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Your breath smells like bleach

LimeyGeek on June 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I’m afraid.

ladyingray on June 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

ditto….you beat me to it…

cmsinaz on June 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM

This is the ending to the nightmare version of Animal House.

whitetop on June 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM

No, to beacon of hope level.

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Different stroke for different folks.

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Good, let’s now get busy making Franken the poster child for the Democratic Party and forcing every Democrat up for reelection next year to embrace him. He’s an a-hole and a laughingstock, and I’ll bet there is more than one Democratic senator squirming about him joining them. We need to make them squirm as much as possible.

The NRSC should assign an intern with a video camera to follow Franken 24/7. There’s a “macaca” moment waiting to happen, and soon.

rockmom

All they care about is power. franken can’t make them squirm.. they would have to have a sense of shame for that to happen.

LimaLimaMikeFoxtrot on June 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Congratulations Minnesota.! Another proud day for you.
So much in Minnesota to be proud of like….er..ah…well…er…hhmm…crickets chirping….

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 3:08 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM

And in the process, put chains on us. We become, offcially, the slaves of the Democrats. Nice.

We know what you’re up to. That’s why we’re getting ready.

Once the Menscheviks were weakened by the Bolsheviks, the latter broke havoc all over Russia, even killing the royal family. And thus, the Communists kept power for seventy-three years. The Communists didn’t give up power easily, and neither will the Democrats. They both were cut from the same cloth.

History is our guide here. We know what you’re up to.

newton on June 30, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Franken? Seriously?

capitalist piglet on June 30, 2009 at 3:09 PM

amerpundit on June 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Actually we have seen how Republicans govern, and I think Democrats should expect Republicans to dish it out regardless of what they do or not do.

As for the unpopular plans, a majority of the voters picked Obama, and considering how everyone know what kind of “communist/socialist/muslim/whatever else” he was, I guess they voted for the guy implementing the unpopular plans.

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:09 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

You might want to hold off on that note for right now, it might need some revision. The stimucrap was supposed to work six months ago, hence the “fierce moral urgency” to pass it, now we’re told that only NOW will we start to see results.

BTW, the labor unemployment stats for this month are being sequestered, why do you think that is?

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 3:09 PM

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Yeah really the economy problems were all caused by the Democrats becaused they were controlling parts of the government for 2 years.

Maybe we can even try to match up the economy problems with Al running for office.

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:11 PM

This opens the floodgates for potential future lawmakers Garofalo, Penn and Maher.

whitetop on June 30, 2009 at 3:12 PM

This Fourth of July, I’m going to be doing something I never thought I’d do.

Fly the American Flag. Upside down.

And if I can find a TX flag, I’ll fly it, too. High.

newton on June 30, 2009 at 3:12 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Except in areas like school choice or freedom of speech. Oh, and if minorities (especially blacks) decided to disagree with the liberal line, then they’ll be called Uncle Toms by the left.

By the way, I enjoy the left telling Obama and the majority of blacks how they opposes civil rights for believing in traditional marriage. A whole bunch of lefty overload there.

amerpundit on June 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

…Let me remind you of one inconvenient fact: guns and ammo have been flying off the shelves since last Fall. And I can guarantee you that it is not because of deer season. It’s because of an “inconvenience” called the Second Amendment. Others are getting ready doing other things, such as having passports issued for their families, switching to the underground economy, and even going abroad to find new opportunities.

We know what you’re up to. That’s why we’re getting ready.

History is our guide here. We know what you’re up to.

newton on June 30, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Are you saying or suggesting that some Americans will raise their weapons against a democratically elected government of the United States?

What exactly do they plan to do with all these bullets?

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

The libs own everything now. Setting up for the most massive electoral defeat in history!! Will begin in 2010…. People who voted for Obama where I work were upset about Cap and Trade! The libs will implode…bet on it!! :)

PS. Welcome to ACORN trolls!! :)

WhatsRight on June 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Maybe they need to “fine tune” the birth-death model some more or send out for another box of pixie dust, or something.

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Starting a betting pool on when the first Franken fist-fight will find itself on the Senate floor.

Enoxo on June 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

What the blazes is wrong with Minnesotans. Electing such a total jerk.

rbj on June 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Ed, what is wrong with your state?

Mr. Joe on June 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I’m sure the people of Minnesota deserve Al Franken.

GarandFan on June 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:09 PM

They elected him because he wasn’t Republican. Ask Americans all about how much they like the closing of Gitmo, repealing of the Mexico City Policy, and other wildly popular moves.

Newsflash: Americans voted for Bush, too. Just as they did for his father and Jimmy Carter. Popularity in one year doesn’t mean Americans are just in love with what they’re going to do.

amerpundit on June 30, 2009 at 3:15 PM

mycowardice:

Actually a lot of gun owners are afraid that Obama and his minions will ignore the Constitution {again} and do away with the Second Amendment. So they are buying guns while they still can.

I think you are a tad paranoid.

Terrye on June 30, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I can conceal/carry in Minnesota, how’s that going for ya in Wisconsin?

You share common ground with Ogabe’s past and present homes, Illinois and D.C. which also don’t allow for CC.

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 3:15 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

MB4 on June 30, 2009 at 3:15 PM

And the majority of Americans picked Bush too but that did not keep the Bush bashers from raving like loons for years.

Terrye on June 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Remember, this was when everyone thought barryO was a “centrist”. I’d bet there is massive buyer’s remorse. But oh well … we will clean it up in 2010

WhatsRight on June 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

WhatsRight on June 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Do you think they’re going to be happy with this?

Oh no! They’re going to look for more! Every last bastion of GOP is a square target, down to the last school board in the most remote island of Alaska.

Remember that they want Absolute Power.

newton on June 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

mycowardice.

What an appropriate handle.

either orr on June 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Minnesota, my condolences

runner on June 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM

What exactly do they plan to do with all these bullets?

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Read the Declaration of Independence sometime.

LimeyGeek on June 30, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Newton,
they will implode. No one wants their health benefits taxed…barry will try it. No one wants cap&tax…barry will try. Stimulus is a fail…the dems OWN it! Have faith! :)

WhatsRight on June 30, 2009 at 3:18 PM

either orr on June 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

myignorance would be an even more appropriate handle.

Disturb the Universe on June 30, 2009 at 3:18 PM

What exactly do they plan to do with all these bullets?
mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

LOL, you’re having trouble with this aren’t you? The 2nd amendment wasn’t created with the overthrow of the government in mind, but as a means for the citizenry to resist the tyranny of the government. Bed-wetters need not apply.

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

If you call an ACORN-manipulated election “democratically elected”, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

newton on June 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

We knew this was coming.As bad as it looks right now, it takes away any pretense that the Democrats are not responsible for all this crap they are passing. My recommendation to the Republicans is to just go home to your home States and work there. What would the dhimmis do if none of the Republicans showed up? Really, why should they even be on the Senate floor since they are locked out of everything?

sandee on June 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I think you are a tad paranoid.

Terrye on June 30, 2009 at 3:15 PM

You might want to check with MB4 who says “If they violate the U.S. Constitution and become ever more tyrants then they are certainly fair game.”

But anyways, if Congress passes law restricting the 2nd amendment, then you would think law abiding Americans would… abide by those laws.

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Now we can honestly say the Senate is under the dubious control of ugly Democrat clowns.

The federal government is officially a bad joke. Somebody needs to flush the whole mess.

RandyChandler on June 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Disturb,

I concur. But he’s got reason to fear us. After all, we’re terrorists. The Janets — Bass and Napolitano — said so.

either orr on June 30, 2009 at 3:20 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

LOL You really are clueless.

LimeyGeek on June 30, 2009 at 3:21 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

And if they repeal freedom of speech? Freedom of the press? The fourth and fifth amendments? How about if the entire Bill of Rights is repealed by Congress? Are you going to sit there and abide by the law because Congress passed it?

Your handle is appropriate.

amerpundit on June 30, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Actually I would think before we go to the second amendment we go to the 2010 and 2012 elections, but who am I kidding…

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:22 PM

This Fourth of July, I’m going to be doing something I never thought I’d do.

Fly the American Flag. Upside down.

And if I can find a TX flag, I’ll fly it, too. High.

newton on June 30, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Once we get our amnesty we will all come to your country. We will all have at least 10 kids and in a generation we will overwhelm and deport most of you Gringos! Some of you, if you learn Spanish real well, we might let you stay to pick our lettuce or mow our lawns or take care of OUR children in what used to be your houses.

Those who don’t learn Spanish will be deported to Alaska. That is until Al Gore’s global warming heats things up and we want Alaska too, then we will deport you all to New Orleans. It will probably all be under water by then anyway. I hope you Gringos can swim, he, he, he!!!

So give it up and LEARN SPANISH! You should probably all buy Mexican flags too and fly them in your front yard and on your pickup trucks. If you already have an American flag or Texas flag there it is alright if you keep it, as long as you fly it upside down and below our great Mexican flag.

Now repeat after me – I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of Mucho Grande Mexico, and to the Republic for which it use to stand, one nation under me Barack Obama – he begged me to pretend that he will still be in charge, with everything for us, and nothing for you.

And remember Gringos,

APRENDER EL ESPANOL!!!

VinyFoxy on June 30, 2009 at 3:23 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Would you abide the 1st amendment being “restricted”, or perhaps the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th?

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

You would think so wouldn’t you. :)

HoustonRight on June 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM

“shall not be infringed” has a different meaning in your made up universe doesn’t it

runner on June 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM

What exactly do they plan to do with all these bullets?

mycowardice on June 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Don’t you know we’re shipping them to Iran so that CIA-backed protesters can shoot young women and blame it all on Ahmadinejad and the Mullahs?

Disturb the Universe on June 30, 2009 at 3:25 PM