Audio: Democrat “close to nauseated” over MJ moment of silence

posted at 10:55 am on June 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

My friend John Ziegler always manages to get great moments out of his interviews, even when he’s interviewing someone across the ideological divide. Yesterday on his new show for KGIL 1260 AM in Los Angeles, John got an honest reaction from Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) about the “moment of silence” demanded on the House floor for the death of Michael Jackson. Yarmuth said he headed for the door, and he wasn’t alone:

YARMUTH: Um, I was close to nauseated by it. I thought it was outrageous. In my two and a half years, we’ve never done that for anybody else who’s a celebrity. We’ve done it for former members, and that’s about it, for former members who’ve passed away … I basically got up and walked back to the cloakroom and got off the floor, because I just thought it was totally uncalled for and over the top.

ZIEGLER: And were you alone in that feeling?

YARMUTH: Oh, no, the cloakroom was pretty well packed. I think there were a lot of people who were disgusted by it.

Well, count me among them.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Whoa…I read that wrong at first glance.
Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Me too. LOL

kingsjester on June 30, 2009 at 12:12 PM

What really gets my goat isn’t the fact that these nitwits stood up and asked for a moment of silence for Jackson. I get that. It’s stupid and racist, but I get it. What get’s my goat to no end is that these same folks DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS IS A BAD THING. They simply don’t get why this shouldn’t be done.

They are that effing stupid.

Thunderstorm129 on June 30, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Cats like their meat fresh. You need to get a hyena. Or a parrot.

unclesmrgol on June 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I think an alligator would suit.

LSUMama on June 30, 2009 at 12:15 PM

LSUMama on June 30, 2009 at 12:00 PM
You knew I was watching didn’t you! LOL

HoustonRight on June 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM

You and I both know it could have went either way.Which is why they were great games to watch, well matched.

LSUMama on June 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I’m nauseated that anyone could be a Democrat Party politician.

Morally and intellectually bankrupt, corrupt and incompetent scum. That’s today’s modern Democrat Party.

That a member of that vile brigade seemingly isn’t aware of exactly what he’s a member of, is beyond astonishing.

NoDonkey on June 30, 2009 at 12:26 PM

LSUMama on June 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Not really. Too many sticks thoughout the line up. But thanks for the kind words.

Let’s do it again next year!

HoustonRight on June 30, 2009 at 12:30 PM

I don’t see any Republicans sitting down. And no, they didn’t all get up and leave.

popularpeoplesfront on June 30, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Yeah, a moment of silence for a pitiful freakish pedophile. Boy, those congress critters are sure a smart bunch of people.

FlyoverJ-HawkFan on June 30, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Every now and then, you will find a Democrat who actually thinks for themselves and when they see the idiocy that makes up the majority of his or her party, they sound off about it.

Rep. John Yarmuth is one of those Democrats.

pilamaye on June 30, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Congress…doing their best to make people lose their lunch every single day.

scalleywag on June 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Ed MacMahon actually was a pilot in 2 wars, and didn’t get a moment of silence, for his service. So why did Michael Jackson? Because he sang, danced, and ummm other things? Nope. He got this moment, because he’s black. Once again, showing that we will NEVER be rid of racism, and prejudice, until we stop this nonsense.

capejasmine on June 30, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Turns out neither MJ nor Debbie Rowe are the biological parents of the first two kids. The circus has just begun.

txag92 on June 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM

If I see one more idiot on TV screaming and crying over his death, I’m gonna puke my guts out. I was shocked he died, saddened his life came to the tragic end that it did..but I don’t believe in making people idols.

GoodBoy on June 30, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Meanwhile, out here in Ohio, a Lorain woman set fire to a bar…why?

Because of her being distraught that Jacko died.

He was a overpaid entertainer…he made money off other people. He exploited them for his own profit. People willingly gave him their money because he was an entertainer.

Congressional moments of silence used to be reserved for fellow members of Congress and national heroes.

Sheeesh…

coldwarrior on June 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Whoah…now I know I’m going to lose my lunch…

scalleywag on June 30, 2009 at 1:31 PM

THIS is what he’s nauseated about?

Not his party’s deliberate attempt to lose the war in Iraq for cynical, crass political gain?

Not his party’s paying off Democrat donors to the tune of trillions of dollars, with a mountain of debt?

Not Barney Frank’s/Chris Dodd’s criminal incompetence that led to the collapse of the economy?

He’s upset because the dipwads in the Congressional Black Caucus held a moment of silence for an overrated pop singer?

He needs to get his priorities straight. Wasting time on a dead drug addict pedophile is unfortunately, way down on the list of Democrat sins.

NoDonkey on June 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM

NoDonkey on June 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM

ZING! +100. If they stood up and walked out the door about ANY ONE of the issues you mentioned (and those are but a few of the things elected officials should be outraged about) they might get back an ounce of credibility. But noooooo, save your outrage for a silent moment dedicted to a dead pop star. Lord help us. We’re being “led” by arrogant, pompous, feckless morons.

scalleywag on June 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM

It was my congressman who led that moment of silence.
I am SO freakin’ lucky!
//sarc.
That reminds me-I need to call his office and “converse” with them.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

ALL democrats make me SICK
They wont STAND for our flag
They Call our soldiers Rapists and MURDERS

But when a sicko child molesting pervert celebrity
then dies they hold a MOMENT OF SILENCE!!!

Their time is comming

veteranoutrage on June 30, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I’m outraged and nauseated they did not have a moment of silence for Jeff Goldblum!

jdkchem on June 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM

I was disgusted by it, and I was not even there.

What nauseated me the most are the votes in the congress lately.

Have all the dems and some republicans just turned communist?

These people are out of touch & out of control.

If a giant metor wiped out Washington D.C. I would not shead a tear.

I might give them one minute of silence.

izoneguy on June 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Folks, don’t you know why the Democrats don’t read any of the bills they are passing. Heck, they are so ignorant that they CAN’T read! They were taught to be idots when growing up because they were born to liberal parents….but they didn’t think reading was important.

Conservative Lady on June 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I’m not sure of this but I would be willing to bet that not one request for a moment of silence was made for Ed McMahon who I believe was a US Marine combat pilot during the Korean War. This is just more proof of the BARF Factor that has infested Congress and Hollyweird. I’m going to close my comment now because I respect this forum and I’m liable to post something that will get me banned.

hamradio on June 30, 2009 at 7:30 PM

M Jackson: What a sack of $hy……….

hamradio on June 30, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Pandering usually evokes the feeling of nausea.

AnninCA on June 30, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Typical politician. Didn’t speak up when the request was made, tested the political waters, and then made a comment. Cowards one and all. At least in NY the idiots displayed their opposition on the spot, such that it was.

The fact that something had never been done before does not justify doing it now. Is that his opinion on anything new.

Zaire67 on June 30, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Now insane fans of the child molester are committing suicide over his death. To be perfectly cold they should be congratulated for eliminating themselves from the gene pool and wasting precious oxygen and food while contributing nothing but CRAP.

hamradio on June 30, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Headline from top of Hotair:

hamradio on June 30, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Headline from top of Hotair:

Now insane fans of the child molester are committing suicide over his death. To be perfectly cold they should be congratulated for eliminating themselves from the gene pool and wasting precious oxygen while contributing nothing but CRAP.

hamradio on June 30, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Are they going to bury Michael Jackson in Memphis beside his father-in-law?

kara26 on June 30, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Well, count me among them.

Dittoes!