Audio: Democrat “close to nauseated” over MJ moment of silence

posted at 10:55 am on June 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

My friend John Ziegler always manages to get great moments out of his interviews, even when he’s interviewing someone across the ideological divide. Yesterday on his new show for KGIL 1260 AM in Los Angeles, John got an honest reaction from Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) about the “moment of silence” demanded on the House floor for the death of Michael Jackson. Yarmuth said he headed for the door, and he wasn’t alone:

YARMUTH: Um, I was close to nauseated by it. I thought it was outrageous. In my two and a half years, we’ve never done that for anybody else who’s a celebrity. We’ve done it for former members, and that’s about it, for former members who’ve passed away … I basically got up and walked back to the cloakroom and got off the floor, because I just thought it was totally uncalled for and over the top.

ZIEGLER: And were you alone in that feeling?

YARMUTH: Oh, no, the cloakroom was pretty well packed. I think there were a lot of people who were disgusted by it.

Well, count me among them.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What do you expect from a white guy??

/racistleft

CurtZHP on June 30, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Is that why all the memebers who participated stood so close together, to make it seem like they were greater in number?

myrenovations on June 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM

RAAAAAAAACIST~!

dinkyjackson on June 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Well, count me among them.

ditto

cmsinaz on June 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Oh yes, a moment of silence for America’s favorite homosexual pedophile.

pseudonominus on June 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Yarmuth took the bile right out of my mouth.

moonbatkiller on June 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM

CurtZHP on June 30, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Careful, MJ was a de facto white woman there at the end. Perhaps you meant sexistleft.

Kafir on June 30, 2009 at 11:00 AM

That moment of silence said more than they realized…

mjbrooks3 on June 30, 2009 at 11:00 AM

a moment of silence to remember a pedophile freak but nothing for Private Long, gunned down by a muslim terrorist on American soil. I weep for this depraved country.

Ris4victory on June 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I wonder if there will be a moment of silence for OJ?

singlemalt_18 on June 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I really don’t see a problem with the House having a moment of silence for a person that represents many of the same moral ideals as they do. To honor one of your own is only fitting.

jmarcure on June 30, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I am glad some of the congress critters still have some common sense.

txsurveyor on June 30, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Well, count me among them.

well hells bells, count me in to …i have been called a racist for much less and thats whats comeing next, were all friggin racist. it’s every white persons fault that MJ is dead….god i wan’t to vomit …..doncha know only whites can be racist in our PC world. just ask krammer.

SHARPTOOTH on June 30, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Wow! Who would have thought that? Or was it that they were all atheists and the prayer/moment of silence thing offended them?

BetseyRoss on June 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Careful, MJ was a de facto white woman there at the end.

Kafir on June 30, 2009 at 11:00 AM

A moment of silence for Julie Andrews. How nice.

Jaibones on June 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM

See? They can make the occasional correct decision….

…on the least important issues of the minute/hour/day/year/decade….

ej_pez on June 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM

The inmates are running the asylum. However we get to suffer the consequences. What a cluster—-.

LSUMama on June 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM

I guess a moment of silence for a deeply troubled pop star is much more important than actually reading a bill before you vote on it.

rbj on June 30, 2009 at 11:04 AM

What a terrible interview. Doesn’t that representative know Michael is an icon to America. Doesn’t he know that due to his fame as a singer and dancer, we must look past whatever he may done. We must look past his strange ideas and ways, and we must embrace this wonderful person whom I know God has forgiven because Micheal’s music gave God please too and I’m sure, even now Michael is autographing God’s copy of Thriller.
The angels on high are rejoicing that they too get to be in Michael’s presence,

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Will they have a moment of silence for America when they’re done destroying it?

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 11:05 AM

It’s not really racist, since Michael esentially morphed into a white woman, right?

Roc on June 30, 2009 at 11:06 AM

How many Americans die every day? If we can get congress to have a moment of silence for each of them, maybe we could succeed in shutting down congress.

MarkTheGreat on June 30, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I had a moment of silence for Billy Mays, not that pedophile mutant freak.

LimeyGeek on June 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Oh you better believe there are a lot of people disgusted.
Disgusted you liberals are deflecting with this crap while destroying the economic foundations of this country:

(via Instapundit)

Debt and Taxes: The CBO’s Dire Projections

Peter Suderman | June 29, 2009, 4:23pm

How bad is the CBO’s latest report on the country’s budgetary future? The Washington Post calls the office’s numbers “dire.” U.S. News says they’re “off the wall.” And in a post about the report on his blog, the CBO’s director, Douglas Elmendorf, writes that “under current law, the federal budget is on an unsustainable path.”

What’s the problem? In a word, debt: The Post’s editorial board summarizes the CBO’s findings as follows:

Debt is growing faster than gross domestic product. Under the CBO’s most realistic scenario, the publicly held debt of the U.S. government will reach 82 percent of GDP by 2019 — roughly double what it was in 2008. By 2026, spiraling interest payments would push the debt above its all-time peak (set just after World War II) of 113 percent of GDP. It would reach 200 percent of GDP in 2038.

Maybe we can get the MSM to get off their knees and ask Gibbs is this what they meant with all of their “hope and change” drivel. Then they can all have one big laugh fest while Obama turns this nation into Cuba on steroids.

Disgusted is a very mild term for what many Americans are feeling watching democrats tank this country.

Baxter Greene on June 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM

LSUMama, congratulations on y’alls recent title. As a Red Raider, I was torn between rooting for the the home conference/state team, and rooting against the Longhorns…

bikermailman on June 30, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Sweet! It’s funny how we didn’t hear about it in the state-run media :):)

ohiobabe on June 30, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Did they have a moment of silence for Billy Mays? He actually brought good products to market at reasonable prices which improved the lives of millions of Americans. I don’t seem to remember Michael doing that.

Rocks on June 30, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Not a fan of the late human jack o’ lantern? More importantly, this arse voted for crap and rape on Friday. Boo!

cyclown on June 30, 2009 at 11:09 AM

MarkTheGreat on June 30, 2009 at 11:06 AM
i’d be happy if we could just get the rotten b@st@rds to acknowledge the sacrafices that our military makes every day…piss on mj and good riddence.

SHARPTOOTH on June 30, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Congress might learn what “unintentional conseguences” are.

HoustonRight on June 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM

CurtZHP on June 30, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Michael Jackson wasn’t white?

Wolftech on June 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Maybe you could have used the time to cram on the Cap-and-Trade bill before you voted for it jackass.

cntrlfrk on June 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM

So did they have a moment of silence for the dead protesters in Iran who died fighting for their freedom?

Dreadnought223 on June 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Wow, they don’t have time to read the cap and trade bill, don’t have a clue what’s in it, but have time to call for a minute of silence for our National Freak?

I can’t wait for one of them to ask to make his birthday a national holiday/

You know it’s coming.

Knucklehead on June 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM

At least they didn’t bust out a rap like the LA house did in their recent assembly.

Sir Corky on June 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM

HoustonRight on June 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM

sorry for the spelling.. figers are faster than my slow brain

HoustonRight on June 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM

I wonder if there will be a moment of silence for OJ?

singlemalt_18 on June 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I bet OJ has many moments of silence in his jail cell.

Right_of_Attila on June 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 11:05 AM

You forgot your “/sarc” at the end of that post…

Wolftech on June 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM

These guys need to understand that blacks deserve special consideration, ’cause of that slavery thing 150 years ago.

Star20 on June 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM

LSUMama on June 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Congrats on the CWS Championship.

PappaMac on June 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM

That moment of silence was more a testament to the depravity of the house members in solidarity with MJ, not in the mourning of his death.

fourdeucer on June 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM

OK great, they walked out, but is there a good reason they’ve all remained so silent about the moment of silence? We all know what the answer is, they fear being labeled racist, but these folks are supposed to be leaders, not fearful little flowers.

james23 on June 30, 2009 at 11:17 AM

What do you expect from a white guy??

/racistleft

Seriously is the racist charge even possible here? MJ died whiter than bleach.

Mike Honcho on June 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Talk about role reversal: those not supporting the homosexual pedophile had to go hide in the closet!

Kevin from Ohio in V on June 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Not one single moment of silence for Murphy, or Mansoor, or Dunham, or Smith, or McGinnis…

But a multimillionaire spendthrift…drug abuser…alleged pedophile…?

Where is the decency anymore?

coldwarrior on June 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Obama seems to have gotten about right. Acknowledge that MJ was a “spectacular performer” allude to the “sad and tragic” aspects of his life and move on. It isn’t an affair of state and the members of congress were just looking to curry the favor of their voters with a stunt.

dedalus on June 30, 2009 at 11:19 AM

The house of representatives is for this kind of crap. It is the people’s house. If enough congressmen want a moment of silence for a dog, they can have it. Anyone can have one.

You people don’t seem to realize the impact Jackson had on the AA community. You call him a ‘freak’, but I doubt he performed his own plastic surgery. He likely paid top dollar for ‘the best’ plastic surgeon.

And he was never convicted of anything. So you people calling him a ‘pedophile’ really have no evidence to back it up.

He was the pride and joy of the African American community for 30 years. His tragedy was how he handled his finances. . . but I’m certain he had ‘help’ with that from ‘friends’ as well.

Anyway, you people are so wonderful. I wish any one of you will speak at my funeral. This is why I live alone. People are just plain mean.

ThackerAgency on June 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Yarmuth unseated Ann Northrup in that Louisville district. She lost because she tried out-democrat him back when she got squishy on the war.

Back on topic: Can we have a moment of silence for our country, please. I shall miss her greatly.

SouthernGent on June 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM

If only that were the only vomit-inducing thing going on in Congress these days.

If only we were that lucky…

Good Lt on June 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Jamie Foxx said that if it weren’t for MJ, then obama would have never gotten elected – the sickness runs WAYYYYYYY deep.

Ris4victory on June 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM

They had a MOMENT OF SILENCE in Congress for Jackson????!!!!

That is so fu*king stupid.

Dave Rywall on June 30, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I was watching a commercial for the upcoming movie “Bruno” and they have this gay white guy buying himself a black baby ( like Madonna and Jolie ) and it seemed so outrageous, and then Jackson dies and they are showing clips of him with the little white boys he bought. How did society let that happen?

Buddahpundit on June 30, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Hey, anyone catch the MJ Freakshow on NBC last night?
It served as a reminder of what kind of man MJ was – a selfish, self-serving liar at best. A pedophile at worst.

As for P. Diddy and all those other idiots at the BET awards who complained about the coverage and played the race card, let’s remind them that no other mega-celebrity who died regularly hung out and slept with pre-pubsecent boys.

CarolynM on June 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM

That is racism, straight up. All of you teabaggin’ rednecks who know nothing of history.

/Jeanine Garofohag

tru2tx on June 30, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Where is the decency anymore?

coldwarrior on June 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM

It doesn’t exist anymore, or something like that.

And when you figure out what happened to “shame”, please get back to me. That seems to have disappeared too.

Knucklehead on June 30, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Ris4victory on June 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM

There is some truth to that. MJ did contribute to a change in pop culture attitude that allowed Obama to run in a post-racial mode.

dedalus on June 30, 2009 at 11:27 AM

What? He got something against a baby dangler?

bloggless on June 30, 2009 at 11:29 AM

I heard someone interviewed on the radio exclaim something like: “He was a phenomenon, like James Brown, or Barack Obama!”

That made me nauseous.

cntrlfrk on June 30, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Maybe some of the dems will follow the lead of the dozen or so morons who committed suicide because of Jackson’s passing.

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM

I never have understood why the black community admired Jackson so much. He tried everything he could to be “white”. His skin lightening, and alteration to his looks seems to me that he was trying to change his “blackness.” Lets also not forget his children being white. I just don’t get it.

sandee on June 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM

The guy DANGLED A BABY FROM A FIFTH FLOOR HOTEL BALCONY. HELLO???????? ANYBODY HOME??????????? ARE THESE PEOPLE NUTS????????

bloggless on June 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM

So…I missed the moment of silence for Charlton Heston, who was no less an entertainer than Michael Jackson, and far more of an activist for the the most important right of freedom Americans possess.

MadisonConservative on June 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM

And nothing for Ed McMahon who actually served this country not once, but twice in the military!

This is just one of many things going on in the Dem party which leads me to believe, not all worship at the feet of President Lightbulb.

Ain’t it grand! We have supported two fraudulent elections giving countries dictators, ticked off all of our allies, united with terroristic nations, quadrupled our debt, burned the Constitution, killed capitalism, and honored a psycho pedophile in the House of Representatives!

By the way, I thought we elected these morons to represent OUR views. You know, the constituents views. Face palm!

freeus on June 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Priorities people, priorities…..sheeesh!

cmsinaz on June 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM

ThackerAgency on June 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Hah. You sure that’s the real reason you live alone — nasty commenters on blogs? As I remember, you aren’t a paragon of polite speech yourself…

Just tell me the day, thacker — I’ll come speak.

unclesmrgol on June 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Years ago, I had a similar experience which I won’t go in detail about. However, while every body was clapping, I was sitting with my arms crossed trying not to puke.

Blake on June 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM

I cannot believe how far this great country of our has slipped in to the depths of worshiping the scum celebrity. What the hell will it take to wake up this country?

grapeknutz on June 30, 2009 at 11:36 AM

ThackerAgency on June 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Yeah, we know your script.

So long as you are properly entertained, nothing else matters.

MarkTheGreat on June 30, 2009 at 11:37 AM

james23 on June 30, 2009 at 11:17 AM

In a Democracy, the leaders are led by the opinion polls.

unclesmrgol on June 30, 2009 at 11:38 AM

ThackerAgency on June 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM

At least get a cat. The cat will eat you when you die and it’s not fed. That’s my plan anyways.

SouthernGent on June 30, 2009 at 11:38 AM

I wonder if there will be a moment of silence for OJ?

singlemalt_18 on June 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I wonder if there will be a moment of silence for America.

fogw on June 30, 2009 at 11:39 AM

ThackerAgency on June 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Will you be posthumously dangled?

bloggless on June 30, 2009 at 11:39 AM

grapeknutz on June 30, 2009 at 11:36 AM

The Democrats would claim that it all started the day the Gipper was elected.

unclesmrgol on June 30, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Democrats in remotely competitive districts may be running for cover more often as the permanent members do their thing.

Maybe they should re-name the cloakroom the “Blue Dog Lounge” for the next year and a half.

forest on June 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM

A question for you all:

If somebody dangled you off of a 5th story hotel balcony, would you press charges?

bloggless on June 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM

SouthernGent on June 30, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Cats like their meat fresh. You need to get a hyena. Or a parrot.

unclesmrgol on June 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM

this yarmuth gets no respect for me. if he felt the way he claims, he would be shouting to the rooftops about barney frank (we all know he ran a prostitution ring out of his basement), alcee hastings (corrupt judge), pelosi (making millions from cap ‘n trade) & the like. and he could complain about the Republicans, too.

but i haven’t heard any rabble rousing from him.

kelley in virginia on June 30, 2009 at 11:44 AM

and about my cat: we discuss daily how she will not eat me if i were to drop dead before her feet. she’s not actually verbally agreed not to….

kelley in virginia on June 30, 2009 at 11:45 AM

The Democrats would claim that it all started the day the Gipper was elected.

unclesmrgol on June 30, 2009 at 11:39 AM

We at least the Gipper contributed to this great country and advanced freedom to other countries ! What did MJ give us? besides being known as a pedophile?

grapeknutz on June 30, 2009 at 11:47 AM

This is the insanity that happens when you dedicate your life to seeing everyone around you and wonder where on the color scale they fall.

TheBlueSite on June 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Well, I think Michael Jackson’s life was a story of abuse, torment, delusional fantasies, and although they probably won’t call it suicide, he killed himself with years and years of self mutilation, drug abuse and starvation. The man was a living tragedy and I hope he found peace in his death. I wouldn’t wish that life on anyone, not even the idiots in Congress. He deserved a moment of silence, but not on the floor for crying out loud. I don’t think they even think before they do anything anymore. Jokers. Our forefathers, once again, are turning in their graves.

scalleywag on June 30, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Where is the decency anymore?

coldwarrior on June 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM

It doesn’t exist anymore, or something like that.

Knucklehead on June 30, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Shame, decency, and Common Sense did a “Thelma & Louise” about a decade ago.

bluelightbrigade on June 30, 2009 at 11:54 AM

This is why I live alone.
ThackerAgency on June 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM

I suspect there are other reasons.

james23 on June 30, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM

WTF? Really? Someone did that?

Wowww…

bluelightbrigade on June 30, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Jaibones on June 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM

lulz

spmat on June 30, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I thought Clint received a moment of silence…maybe that was just in California.
Why can’t someone be honest and have a “Moment of Good Riddance”, for some of these guys.

right2bright on June 30, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I suspect there are other reasons.

james23 on June 30, 2009 at 11:56 AM

That was funnnnnnyyyyy!

right2bright on June 30, 2009 at 12:00 PM

bikermailman on June 30, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Thank you, tough decision I know. The Longhorns are a amazing team with a great Coach. We are very proud and hope our football team follows suit. So many threats to our way of life from the govt, its nice to have a distraction once in a while.

LSUMama on June 30, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Here are the cringe worthy remarks by Diane Watson requesting the moment of silence for MJ:

MOMENT OF SILENCE IN TRIBUTE TO MICHAEL JACKSON — (House of Representatives – June 26, 2009)

[Page: H7462]

(Ms. WATSON asked and was given permission to address the House for 1 minute.)

Ms. WATSON. Madam Speaker, we rise to pay a 1-minute tribute to a star that shot high into the sky and now remains there. We would like all of those to join us who would like to take a moment to remember Michael Jackson, so Members may come and join us here at the mike.

I would just like to say to our House of Representatives, to the country and to the world, a young man has left Earth but now resides in the stars. He was a talented, multitalented person who entertained the world with his dynamic portrayals, the songs that he had written, and his style of dancing. We think that it is appropriate to say that we pay tribute to the culture that he has left behind, his legacy.

I would like now to ask my colleague, Mr. Jackson, if he would close out, and all those who stand with us send our condolences, our heartfelt sorrow to his family, his friends, and to his millions of fans throughout the world.

Mr. JACKSON of Illinois. Madam Speaker, if there is a God, and I believe there is, and that God distributes grace and mercy and talent to all of his children, on August 29, 1958, he visited Gary, Indiana, and touched a young man with an abundance of his blessings. With that gift, Michael Joe Jackson would touch and change the world. His heart couldn’t get any bigger, and yesterday, it arrested.

I come to the floor today on behalf of a generation to thank God for letting all of us live in his generation and in his era.

With that, Madam Speaker, we would ask Members to please stand for a moment of silence.

END

GEC on June 30, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Someone posted the other day on HA, instead of a moment of silence, couldn’t they have just dangled a baby instead?

right2bright on June 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM

LSUMama on June 30, 2009 at 12:00 PM

You knew I was watching didn’t you! LOL

HoustonRight on June 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM

So…why didn’t Yarmuth debate and oppose the motion to have the moment of silence?

James on June 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM

grapeknutz on June 30, 2009 at 11:36 AM

The Democrats would claim that it all started the day the Gipper was elected.

unclesmrgol on June 30, 2009 at 11:39 AM

In reality, ALL of this crap started when JFK was elected. Remember “Camalot”.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 12:03 PM

freeus on June 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Freeus, you said this perfectly. I was at a wedding this weekend and said much the same to several libs who all replied like programmed robots, “Well, that’s what we he was elected to do.”

Western_Civ on June 30, 2009 at 12:04 PM

LSUMama on June 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM
Congrats on the CWS Championship.

PappaMac on June 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Thank you , we now tie Texas with six tittles to our credit.

LSUMama on June 30, 2009 at 12:05 PM

As Jamie Fox said, MJ belonged to “them”, not “us”, whoever them and us are.

Skipper50 on June 30, 2009 at 12:05 PM

It’s okay, they redeemed themselves with a moment of silence for Nada and the other Iranians who have been gunned down in the last few weeks………Oh, wait…….what?……..um, never mind…..

Mallard T. Drake on June 30, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Hey – it was started by Jesse Jackson Jr. and you know:

Farbe (color) uber alles!!!

rockbend on June 30, 2009 at 12:08 PM

/Jeanine Garofohag

tru2tx on June 30, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Don`t get mad .but if ever there was an arguement for abortion shes it. I know sounds mean but she is beyond the pale.

LSUMama on June 30, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Thank you , we now tie Texas with six tittles to our credit.
LSUMama on June 30, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Whoa…I read that wrong at first glance.

Bishop on June 30, 2009 at 12:11 PM