Video: Rudy running for NY governor?

posted at 3:35 pm on June 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

We’ve been speculating on whether Rudy Giuliani would consider a run at the top job in New York ever since Eliot Spitzer showed how honorable he was to exploit hookers rather than to cheat on his wife in the normal fashion. On CNN this morning, Rudy conceded that he was giving the idea some serious thought:

David Paterson has approval ratings somewhere south of George W Bush levels, despite the prevalence of Democrats in New York. Giuliani’s personal troubles have already been baked into the cake among Empire State voters, so he won’t have to worry overly much about a Sanford effect in 2010. Democrats would likely run Attorney General Andrew Cuomo against Rudy, whose star has not burned quite as brightly as some may have imagined during the financial crisis on Wall Street, but who’s popular and well-connected enough to make a hard run at it. Politico notes that Cuomo has a double-digit lead in early polling over a Giuliani bid, which might make Rudy reconsider.

If Rudy does jump into the race, would Hillary Clinton consider leaving the Obama administration to challenge for the right to oppose him? If Obama flops in his first term, Hillary might be able to make another run at the presidency, and the governorship of New York wouldn’t be a bad perch for that kind of run.

Comments

I knew he was going to run. And if he wins gov, he will probably run for Prez again.

RR

ramrants on June 29, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Let’s hope he doesn’t try to win NY by starting to campaign in FL.

Zing!

lorien1973 on June 29, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Run for it, Rudy. I would love to see him in Albany.

cs89 on June 29, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Run, Rudy, run!

I doubt Hillary has the slightest interest in running for or being the governor of New York. Not even as some sort of launch pad.

myrenovations on June 29, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Methinks the ‘Cuda would campaign for him pretty heavily… Of all the players involved in 2008, I think Sarah came out of it with a friendship with Rudy… and maybe Fred Thompson (because of his wife)… that’s about it.

In any event, after witnessing her bring out 20,000 people in NY to a parade that normally brings out 5,000… she could probably be a big asset to Rudy.

BPD on June 29, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Do it
do it
do it

fck em all up Rudy

I’d love it

I may just be able to stay in ny if he’s gov

blatantblue on June 29, 2009 at 3:45 PM

YES PLEASE!!!
I would love to see him in NY. He always has to clean up the mess the liberals make.
Palin/Rudy 2012!!

jencab on June 29, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Problem is most of us remember Rudy on Sept 10, where he couldn’t have won a race to be a dog catcher. The good side is that Albany is a complete disaster. Our senate is pathetic.

pt on June 29, 2009 at 3:49 PM

He should run. I like his chances in what will likely be a very bad year for Democrats.

Uh, Hillary’s toast as far as a Presidential run. Considering she made judgment her central campaign issue in 2008, how will she defend endorsing Obama and then joining his cabinet should she choose to challenge him in 2012?

Doughboy on June 29, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Well, Giuliani has already gotten his adultery requirement out of the way, right?

Maybe, just this once, it’s good to have the cart before the horse.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 3:52 PM

He had been my top choice when the GOP candidates came forth in the last election. And, I’m about as conservative as you can get. I loved him after 9/11, and always thought from that point on, he would be a great president.

I can look past his lib/moderate views on some issues in order to have a president who isn’t afraid to kick a little ass.

ErinF on June 29, 2009 at 3:53 PM

lorien1973 on June 29, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Actually, that might not be a bad strategy considering the native state of most Floridians is somewhere in the northeast.

Kafir on June 29, 2009 at 3:53 PM

I dunno. I kind of like the man made disaster that is state government in New York being wholly owned by the Democratic Party. It may damage the brand and we can start electing conservatives here in NY.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

yeah right!

trubble on June 29, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Dit Mr. Mayor, you worked hard for the title Gov. Giuliani.

fourdeucer on June 29, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I LOVE COMING TO AMERICA OH SAY CAN YOU BETTY BOOP

Rudy for Gov. Yeah. NY has it comin’

LimeyGeek on June 29, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Dit= Do it

fourdeucer on June 29, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Running for gov?

It depends which Rudy shows up and for how long. If the Rudy that ran for Pres shows up he has no chance.

patrick neid on June 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM

A more entertaining way to spend his days than watching soaps while he waits for 2012.

Frozen Tex on June 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM

GO RUDY!

Urban Infidel on June 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM

He`s got my vote.

ThePrez on June 29, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Great, another pro-baby killing Republican. Just what we need.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Hillary still lacks any kind of executive experience at all. Even at State, she apparently sits in an office and plays Solitaire all day long while The One issues new directives on how to show love to America’s enemies.

That is, unless controlling the testicle lockbox is considered management.

Cicero43 on June 29, 2009 at 3:59 PM

In politics, you take the best that you can get

In N.Y., Rudy is the best the GOP can get in 2010

so………..DO IT

Thanks to some of you for pointing out that Rudy is not perfect. Neither are you

Janos Hunyadi on June 29, 2009 at 4:00 PM

That is, unless controlling the testicle lockbox is considered management.

Cicero43 on June 29, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I think the Congressional Testicle Lockbox only contains IOUs

LimeyGeek on June 29, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Do it, Rudy.

1st step in getting conservatives back in the Northeast.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 29, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Pro-Choice Rudy will keep Evangelicals home

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Rudy is the only Republican candidate that can break even in NYC. If he wins upstate he can be Governor.

Run, Rudy, Run!

Steve Z on June 29, 2009 at 4:06 PM

In N.Y., Rudy is the best the GOP can get in 2010

Janos Hunyadi on June 29, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Not from NY, but I visited once, agree with you.

Loxodonta on June 29, 2009 at 4:07 PM

A Pro-Choice Republican will keep the Evangelicals at home.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Finally! This is what he should have been doing after 9/11.

Speedwagon82 on June 29, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Speaking of the testicle lockbox, I think it’s more likely that Bill Clinton would run than Hillary and I don’t believe Bill would run. Leagacy and all that.

Vince on June 29, 2009 at 4:09 PM

BPD on June 29, 2009 at 3:44 PM

The Rudy-Palin one-two punch at the convention was fun to watch.

Count to 10 on June 29, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Maybe, just this once, it’s good to have the cart before the horse.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 3:52 PM

No kidding.

It’s about time conservatives focus on FISCAL SANITY!

maverick muse on June 29, 2009 at 4:13 PM

are you sure you want rudy?

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Pro-Choice Rudy keeps Evangelicals at home.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Pro-Choice Rudy keeps Evangelicals at home.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 5:12 PM

He’d still be a better governor for New York than the pro-choice and pro-everything else leftist alternative. We’re not talking about the presidency here.

Loxodonta on June 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM

pt on June 29, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Are you joking? I was a New Yorker and I do not recall Rudy being unpopular. He was a great mayor prior to 9/11 and an even greater one after. As for Donna Hanover – she was and is a shrew.

Hilts on June 29, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Pro-Choice Rudy keeps Evangelicals at home.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 5:12 PM
I still see that there are people who are just into the purity of losing.

Hilts on June 29, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Loxodonta on June 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM

That might play in NY, it won’t play nationally and even he must know that.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 5:19 PM

A Pro-Choice Republican will keep the Evangelicals at home.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 4:08 PM

And how big a vote is that in New York? I have a hard time imagining Evangelicals are as significant there as in, say Missouri.

I think another poster has it right: Giuliani is the only candidate likely to split the vote in NYC, and I bet he has a good shot in upstate and western New York.

irishspy on June 29, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Pro-Choice Rudy keeps Evangelicals at home.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 5:12 PM
I still see that there are people who are just into the purity of losing.

Hilts on June 29, 2009 at 5:18 PM

If I go over to the enemy on principles, then what point is there in voting at all. One baby killer is as good as the other.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 5:20 PM
You know what, don;t vote for Rudy for Governor. Oh that’s right you are not a New Yorker and did not live through the David Dinkins nightmare. I find your referring to him as a baby killer completely offensive. Worry about Madison Wisconsin. I’m sure you preferred Obama as president as well. After all, we must stay ideologically rigid and pure.

Hilts on June 29, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Rudy has a lot of pluses to win. He is an excellent executive. He would clean up a lot of corruption. He is fiscally responsible.

Go for Governor of New York, Rudy. You were the first 2008 GOP contender that I donated to.

onlineanalyst on June 29, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Hilts on June 29, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Obviously I don’t have the problem of whether or not to vote for a pro-choice Republican governor. NYers have that tough choice. Obviously I was reffering to Rudy running for President. With his pro-choice view he would lose.
You can’t out liberal a DEmocrat.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 6:04 PM

The best NYC mayor since LaGuardia. All you hard core ideologues can go stuff it. Rudy was a great mayor. Criminals and leftists hated him.

Hilts on June 29, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Yo, Jeff, on the off chance you hadn’t noticed, this thread is a bout Rudy running for Gov of NY. Not Prez of USA.

In regards, I’m all for it!

Ace ODale on June 29, 2009 at 6:41 PM

NY really needs to clean house. Maybe Rudy can do it.
Besides he knows as well as we do that the Republicans will never nominate another legislator without executive experience again.

Iblis on June 29, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Rudy would make an excellent governor.

jaschenb74 on June 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Ed Morrissey
Ed,
I had an comment concerning Hillary Clinton’s prospects for a presidentil run on a previous post. Could you or somebody else direct me to a search engine to find my previous comments. Google won’t do it. Please help.

Americannodash on June 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM

*presidential

Americannodash on June 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Americannodash on June 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Why is it on days that I am having great difficulty typing, you do as well? Are you my twin? Or, are you copying me?

Loxodonta on June 29, 2009 at 7:11 PM

A Pro-Choice Republican will keep the Evangelicals at home.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 4:08 PM

And we all know what an evangelical stronghold New York is /

Sekhmet on June 29, 2009 at 7:57 PM

I don’t think New Yorkers are going to worry about Rudy’s private life. And it might be that they will be tired of Democrats in the State House by then.

Terrye on June 29, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Hilts on June 29, 2009 at 5:17 PM
Me too and I agree. New Yorkers loved Rudy before 9/11. He cleaned up the city so you could actually enjoy it without being accosted on every corner by beggars and window washers. And after the Democrats have made such fools of themselves in the Senate lately, he may have a good shot upstate as well. Lets see what kind of dirt the Obama camp digs up on Rudy now that he has shown interest in the governor’s spot. They won’t run Paterson for sure so I don’t know who that puts up against Rudy if he runs. Cuomo? Isn’t that why Cuomo didn’t really try for Hillary’s seat, to leave him open to run for gov?

mph on June 29, 2009 at 8:45 PM

He’s certainly qualified to run as a GOP candidate, given his marriage/adulterous affair record.

benny shakar on June 29, 2009 at 10:08 PM

benny shakar on June 29, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Bill Clinton and the late JFK concurring.

Fuck you by the way.

Hilts on June 29, 2009 at 10:13 PM

mph on June 29, 2009 at 8:45 PM
It is fruitless arguing with hard core (in this case) right wing ideologues just as it is with lefties. Right wing ideologues believe in the purity of losing. President Barack Hussein Obama thanks them.

Hilts on June 29, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Rudy may be trailing Andrew Cuomo, but he will do better than Rick Lazio who is already on the trail. Cuomo won’t poll as well once everyone sees the video of Cuomo praising the court upholding the Clinton Administration’s definition of redlining and forcing banks to make risky loans where he proclaims that making these loans (subprime loans) will lose the banks money but he supports it anyway. As HUD Secretary, Cuomo helped lay the seeds of our current financial meltdown. Rudy would have known better.

KW64 on June 29, 2009 at 10:23 PM

So Rudy is an alpha male who can get extra helpings. Andrew Cuomo is a cuckolded girly twit.

bayview on June 29, 2009 at 11:12 PM

I hope he does run…he’s the very best NY can get.

AUINSC on June 30, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Hilts on June 29, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Funny,I thought NY went for Obama. Guess there’s too many criminals & leftists.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 6:44 AM

Loxodonta on June 29, 2009 at 7:11 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I have been on other threads reading mostly and commenting occasionally today. To answer your questions. Not twins and no I am not trying to copy you. To copy you though would be a blessing for me. I know that I have the potential to do so yet, I will only reach my potential if I continue to practice this craft of writing on a daily basis. If you haven’t realized by now, I really have not for the lack of better words, written anything of purpose since college. When I got out of the armed forces in the late 70′s, the only fields job prospects was in the blue collar trades. I became a machinist. Liked the fact that I was producing something tangible and I was good at it. The only writing that I have done really in the past was of the technology field of machined parts planning. That in itself was sporatic at best. Although, I have been in my life what one would is considered to be a voracious reader of all subjects. My favorite is subjest is history and all that it entails. My favorite or at least one of my favorite lines from my own dealings in this world is: “I would rather learn from the mistakes made by some one else’s errors in history, then make a history of mistakes to learn by my own errors.”.. This simple line of reasoning is not what is being taught in the homes or schools of today or in fact the last 30 years from my P.O.V. This quote that I have written to you could solve many of our current and future problems in our society IMO. Some American’s are ignorant of our own past American history. That is truly just one of the many parts of the cancer that affects our American society today. Where it is recognizing what did not work in the past. This kind of stupidity surely will not work in the present no matter how it is spun. Anyway, keep up the good fight Lox, Ed, Allahpundit and of course Michelle Malkin.
BTW, Could you or somebody else here at HA direct me to a search engine to find my previous comments that I have posted on HA?. Sometimes I would like to not have to retype my previous ideas or concerns about issues that I have already researched and put into words here at HA. Google won’t do it. Please help if you can.

Americannodash on June 30, 2009 at 7:58 AM

*suject
[ps} geez I with I had spell check.

Americannodash on June 30, 2009 at 8:01 AM

*wish
[ps] see what I mean.

Americannodash on June 30, 2009 at 8:02 AM

*subject
[ps] I give up

Americannodash on June 30, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Funny,I thought NY went for Obama. Guess there’s too many criminals & leftists.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 6:44 AM

That’s a stupid comment.

Hilts on June 30, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Funny,I thought NY went for Obama. Guess there’s too many criminals & leftists.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 6:44 AM

That’s a stupid comment.

Hilts on June 30, 2009 at 8:51 AM

I’m just saying that NY usually goes to the DEMS, which ARE the criminals & leftists.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 9:22 AM

rudy, rudy, rudy, rudy, rudy

rjoco1 on June 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM

…. because we need more neoconservatives in office.

popularpeoplesfront on June 30, 2009 at 12:42 PM