Video: Press corps now openly laughing at Obama’s backtracking on taxes

posted at 7:26 pm on June 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

It’s a laugh riot, isn’t it? Actually, they might be laughing more at Gibbs’s feeble way of ducking the question than The One’s looming broken promise, but in Gibbs’s defense, what’s he supposed to say? Obama pounded McCain for wanting to pay for health care by taxing benefits, rode into D.C. promising Change, and now he’s going to eat a crap sandwich by reversing himself because it turns out personal charisma doesn’t work on hard economic numbers. So Axelrod and company have to go out and face the firing squad and “explain” via stuttering half-answers why Barry O lied about this last year. It’s a political microcosm of Obama’s economic M.O.: They borrowed political capital by pledging “no new taxes” to win the election and now down the road the bill’s finally come due.

Elsewhere today, Gibbs declared that it’s okay to start judging the success of the stimulus. Over to you, Innocent Bystanders!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

BTW we should be taking a hint from Iran and Honduras and hittin the streets with pitchforks and torches. This sh!t’s just insane.

Alden Pyle on June 29, 2009 at 10:56 PM

What a lying scum bag. this administration is a joke

golfballs03 on June 29, 2009 at 11:07 PM

They are not laughing at him they are laughing with him.

farright on June 29, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Where is the “Read my lips” moment for the One? Where is the intrepid media?

inspectorudy on June 29, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Where is the intrepid media?
Out to lunch and enthralled with tingles.Cause ratings are down and papers closing but hey times are tough.
IT is all W’s fault or does that still work?

Col.John Wm. Reed on June 29, 2009 at 11:21 PM

BTW we should be taking a hint from Iran and Honduras and hittin the streets with pitchforks and torchesassault rifles and lots of ammo. This sh!t’s just insane.

Alden Pyle on June 29, 2009 at 10:56 PM

FIFY…just a joke…for now

jwp1964 on June 29, 2009 at 11:25 PM

I remember back when the First President Bush said “No new taxes!” I also remember when he had to raise taxes and then he lost re-election. I’m just sayin’…..

Atlanta Media Guy on June 29, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Who do you think yells at Gibbs more? Axelrod or Rahm???? He’s such a tool that I almost feel bad for him…not really

WhatsRight on June 29, 2009 at 7:32 PM

After watching the video (not before, at all), I actually did feel sorry for him. For a moment. I’d say that if I were him, why not just quit because of all the backtracking. But he wasn’t part of the campaign ideas. He really is just the mouthpiece of the WH. In that sense, you can see just how screwed the administration is–this guy is paid to be a professional speaker, and still stumbles over it that bad.

JoelD on June 29, 2009 at 11:38 PM

I did not have sex with that wom….. oh! wait a minute,— read my lips er, ah, —-I have now been in all 57 states.(smile)
What was the question again?

Herb on June 29, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Obama is like Godzilla stomping on everything in sight. He has crushed the economy (The Obama Depression is in full swing) , the financial markets, the auto industry, energy and all foreign policy….now he wants to destroy health care while he lies and backpedals on his campaign promises. The people who voted for him are fools and the ones that still defend him are idiots. Obama has made Jimmy Carter look good. How incredible is that?

HumblyRight on June 29, 2009 at 11:42 PM

We are going to let this process work it’s way through..

HAA..HAA…HAAA…HAAA…HAAA…HAAA…!!!!

We are going to let this process work it’s way through…

HAA…HAA….HAA….HAA…HAA….HAA..!!!!

Just what the he!! is Pravda west laughing at.
Obama lied his a$$ off to get into office and these morons laughing protected and spun everything they could to get him there.
The people getting screwed in their little ideological fairyland that they have created are us and I can tell you I don’t see a dam# thing funny.

I really,really,really hate these a$$holes.

Baxter Greene on June 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Why is Bernie Madoff in prison while Barack Obama is playing golf?

Madoff only scammed a billion. That’s rounding error to Obama.

jeff_from_mpls on June 29, 2009 at 7:33 PM

+100

tigerlily on June 29, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Hey, if all else fails, blame “the process.”

You mean the one we promised to exact Change upon?

{Sigh}

thebadoutlaw on June 30, 2009 at 12:11 AM

honeymoon’s over? what the!? This is the same media that swooned when Barry swat a fly just a few days ago.

spaz on June 30, 2009 at 12:12 AM

OBummer said he wouldn’t raise taxes on those who made less than $250,000. But nobody promised anything about not raising electricity, gas, oil, food, clothing, transportation, and shelter prices.

And anyone who doesn’t want to pay the carbon tax (aka “Cap and Trade” aka “Cap and Tax” aka “Excuse me for living Tax“) can just quit exhaling CO2!!

landlines on June 30, 2009 at 12:12 AM

The quicky stimulus plan has failed to do even 10% of what was predicted. Unemployment continue to rise far beyond predictions. Support for Cap & Trade and Universal Health Care is slipping. None of those great things that Obama envisioned are working.

Meanwhile, and far into the future, we will pay for their incomprehensible incompetence.

Even the MSM is now sitting there in wonderment as they watch the lug nuts fall of the wheels, right before their eyes. The MSM media though they were the slick masters of self-delusion:they have met their match and are becoming humbled.

The other thing the press members have finally realized: their taxes are going up, right along with all the rest.

Yoop on June 30, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Ahh, I love it. All these naive Obama voters who bought into the, “I won’t raise taxes on families making less than 250k/yr” line, are now going to deeply regret making that mistake.

Suckers.

nickj116 on June 30, 2009 at 12:27 AM

I really,really,really hate these a$$holes.

Baxter Greene on June 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Yes. Isn’t it totally infuriating that Obama, Gibbs, et.al. can actually be heard to chuckle about the conditions around them, that they have caused? Their arrogant little grins need to be wiped from their faces.

I find humor in NONE of their actions.

Yoop on June 30, 2009 at 12:29 AM

I hope Gibbs is stocking up on disposable diapers because the questions appear to be getting a lot tougher; everytime I see him starting to squirm over an uncomfortable inquiry, it seems as if he’s wetting his pants. I’ll bet this freak has a D.C. Dominatrix who treats him like a baby so he can get off. Pathetic.

Goldy1 on June 30, 2009 at 12:41 AM

Any way you serve a shiat sandwich, it is still a shiat sandwich.

sybilll on June 30, 2009 at 12:54 AM

This sure is a case of a “politician will say anything to get elected”. The problem is the President’s supporters think he’s so “cool” and continue to do the “lemming dance” and they don’t seem to care if they take the rest of us over the cliff with them.

The MSM helped to get him elected, so the tax increase, inflation, and high interest will effect them too. I can’t wait until they break out the pitchforks and rotten tomatoes at the press conferences and we watch Mr. Gibbs squeal like Porky Pig.

We lived through the Carter era and realized what a mistake he was, so I hope we can make it through the Ombama era.

yoda on June 30, 2009 at 2:08 AM

Their arrogant little grins need to be wiped from their faces.

I find humor in NONE of their actions.

Yoop on June 30, 2009 at 12:29 AM

You are dead on.
Hopefully 2010 will be the beginning of smacking the smirks off of their smug faces.

Baxter Greene on June 30, 2009 at 3:25 AM

Atlanta Media Guy on June 29, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Not hard to remember, cause the MSM had that quote on a loop and played it over and over every night for a year before the election to help get their boy bubba elected.

conservnut on June 30, 2009 at 6:33 AM

No need for us to be cynical. Like everything else, this government will do that for us.

curved space on June 30, 2009 at 6:33 AM

By the way, don’t expect the sem treatment of the one!

conservnut on June 30, 2009 at 6:34 AM

By the way, don’t expect the sem same treatment of the one!

conservnut on June 30, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Duh, still on first cup of coffee!

conservnut on June 30, 2009 at 6:35 AM

This guy is our Joseph Goebbles

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 6:36 AM

Head of the Obama Ministry of Propaganda

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 6:37 AM

I think this administration has become totally shell-shocked very early in the game and actually is operating in a daze. Comprehension of the reality of the situation this country is presently in is nonexistent. They are flailing away with anything that comes to mind, hoping that something will finally work. Yoop on June 30, 2009 at 12:19 AM

What did we really expect from a south-side community organizer that jumped on the media’s backs and rode this liberal nightmare all the way to the WH. By the time 2012 rolls around, the “this is Booooosh’s fault” will have little effect on the electorate and hopefully we can send these liberal socialist packing in huge numbers along with this boot-licking media that Obama has relied on for popular support.

Baxter Greene on June 30, 2009 at 3:25 AM

Good mornin’ BG……I certainly hope these “smug faces” turn into a long un-employment line. Or, and Kos and DU will be having some competition soon.

Rovin on June 30, 2009 at 6:46 AM

I’m in complete agreement with those who are posting that King Hussein of the Custard will be a one-termer – but we are not considering his propensity of using the Chicago/Tehran Way to maintain power.

In that nightmarish but increasingly possible scenario, I hope our military acts like that of the might nation of Honduras!

Ouch.

J.J. Sefton on June 30, 2009 at 7:01 AM

I apologize to those I “pooh poohed” that said this man has eeeeville intentions. You cannot do so many destructive things in so short a time without it being intentional.

CC

CapedConservative on June 30, 2009 at 7:05 AM

I had to watch the “Gibbs” video again and I still can’t believe the administration and their supporters attitudes! I at least read “Dreams of My Father” and “The Audacity Of Hope” last year so I would have some idea what Senator Obama was about. I am still amazed people voted for someone that they had no clue about.

I lived in Texas while President Bush was Governor and I didn’t always agree with him, but I at least had an idea how he would be as President. President Obama was elected by people who knew “nothing” about the man except he wasn’t old, didn’t have a political history, but he sure could talk good.

yoda on June 30, 2009 at 7:17 AM

Yes, we can keep hoping for many more
“Depends moments” when these people are forced to show their true colors. I just keep saying to myself, “it took a Carter to get a Reagan……” When will theis long national nightmare be over? NOT soon enough.

4Freedom on June 30, 2009 at 7:38 AM

when they are allowed to ask real questions and followups that are not sent to them before the press conference and are not threatened with “certain actions” if they throw fruit and shoes at that fat pustule of a mouthpiece…let me know.

BillaryMcBush on June 30, 2009 at 7:42 AM

Obviously a canned non-response. He said it twice for effect.

“We are going to let this process work it’s way through.
We are going to let this process work it’s way through. All right.”

What an arrogant punk. He states that with authority, as if the subject is closed. “We are going to let this process work it’s way through.”

We need to pound the left with this quote. Repeatedly. Every day. All the time. Like a mantra. “We are going to let this process work it’s way through.” Yeah, well, so are we.

av8tr on June 30, 2009 at 7:46 AM

FIFY…just a joke…for now

jwp1964 on June 29, 2009 at 11:25 PM

..with you there, just wary of couching it as directly.

Alden Pyle on June 30, 2009 at 7:47 AM

if they throw fruit and shoes at that fat pustule of a mouthpiece…let me know.

BillaryMcBush on June 30, 2009 at 7:42 AM

I’ll start the shoe throwin’ this morning. Hey Gibbs, this shooz4u!!!!

yoda on June 30, 2009 at 7:48 AM

yoda on June 30, 2009 at 7:48 AM

make sure it is a stiletto heel :)

cmsinaz on June 30, 2009 at 7:50 AM

make sure it is a stiletto heel :)

cmsinaz on June 30, 2009 at 7:50 AM

I think I still have a pair of those ankle breakers in the back of the closet……I’ll even get my norte land snow boots out so I don’t miss Gibb’s big head.

yoda on June 30, 2009 at 8:04 AM

They are not laughing at him they are laughing with him.

farright on June 29, 2009 at 11:14 PM

I think this is more like it. The honeymoon is only over when the press decides they don’t want to swallow any more. And that time has clearly not arrived.

Jaibones on June 30, 2009 at 8:07 AM

yoda on June 30, 2009 at 8:04 AM

LOL

cmsinaz on June 30, 2009 at 8:08 AM

We are going to let this process work its way through.

Jaibones on June 30, 2009 at 8:08 AM

On the other hand, when the tide truly does turn, it could get ugly:

Rasmussen: Obama Approval Index Falls Below Zero… Developing…

Drudge

Jaibones on June 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM

The honeymoon may be over, but the hope that he is “just staying late at the office” is a powerful coping mechanism.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 8:19 AM

The good thing about the losers in the media is that the younger generations are leaving them. More and more get their news from online sources. The irony is that the liberals in eduction are turning out the illiterates, who in turn don’t read the papers that the liberals in news put out.

Free Indeed on June 30, 2009 at 8:19 AM

We are going to let this process work its way through.

As in: through the lower intestines. It’s not the other shoe that’s about to drop. Ugh.

RandyChandler on June 30, 2009 at 8:22 AM

but obama’s supporters are still worshipful.

i know no one with buyer’s remorse. no one. i hope yall know some.

kelley in virginia on June 30, 2009 at 8:33 AM

kelley in virginia

haven’t heard of any myself…still see lots of Obama stickers on cars…very scary….

cmsinaz on June 30, 2009 at 8:45 AM

but obama’s supporters are still worshipful.

i know no one with buyer’s remorse. no one. i hope yall know some.

kelley in virginia on June 30, 2009 at 8:33 AM

I agree with you, but I wonder how the “worship” (good use of a word kelly in virginia) crew will change when they are once again paying $4 a gallon for gas, bread is $6 a loaf and every family is required to use the curly “q” light bulbs?

yoda on June 30, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Until the unemployment rate among Democrat politicians skyrockets, the unemployment rate among actual Americans, will continue to rise.

Businesses won’t start hiring until the Barry and Joe traveling circus is cancelled.

Wouldn’t hurt to throw that lying idiot Pelosi out on her bony ass either.

NoDonkey on June 30, 2009 at 8:53 AM

What does that even mean, “We’re going to let this thing work its way through”???? Can not even one of these bootlickers have the balls to ask for clarification? If Tony Snow or Dana Perino had answered a question about a timetable for getting out of Iraq with, “We’re going to let this thing work its way through” every one of those smug, stupid tools would have been squealing like stuck pigs.

Less than ZERO credibility.

NoLeftTurn on June 30, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Do you want fries and kool-aid with that spin??

bluegrass on June 30, 2009 at 9:02 AM

They are not laughing at him they are laughing with him.

farright on June 29, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Yep. But sycophants change with the prevailing winds. If his healthcare goes down in flames (fingers crossed) you’ll see him lose gravity.

marklmail on June 30, 2009 at 9:06 AM

cmsinaz on June 30, 2009 at 8:45 AM

I’ve seen fewer stickers on cars around here in Houston. That doesn’t necessarily translate into buyer’s remorse however. I guess the only way to find out is to start asking people. But I’d rather not get into heated political discussions with friends and family. At least not until an election year rolls around.

Doughboy on June 30, 2009 at 9:12 AM

cmsinaz on June 30, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Not the case here in my area (Billings, Mt.)

We have reports of Obama supporters having people get in their faces in parking lots and fast food establishments. Obama stickers have disappeared rapidly. The unemployment rate in Montana remains very low. People are scared about the economy, don’t get me wrong. People are also busy working, raising families, and supporting our military in every way possible. These folks are paying into the system and don’t appreciate the “spread the wealth around” crap, not one tiny bit. Earning a living here is tough, as wages are far below the national average, but earn a living these people do by way of working several different jobs if necessary. Montanans seem to be real testy right about now. Advertising & promoting Obama policies should be avoided in this state; if implemented, do so at your own risk…

Keemo on June 30, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Obewon and gang are trying all the tried and true liberal progressive beliefs about how the country is supposed to work under their direction. However, reality may be setting in for them (and us) and unfortunately their fixes may be more of the same. Remember he did say FDR didn’t spend enough to make it work. There is no way he’s going to become a lower taxes, smaller govt guy, ever.

Kissmygrits on June 30, 2009 at 9:16 AM

At the same time that Obamao and Krew will be raising taxes (overt or hidden VATs), they are devaluing our dollar via the printing press and out-of-control borrowing and causing the price of necessities like energy for food, light, and heat to rise.

When will the press confront Gibbs with this point?

onlineanalyst on June 30, 2009 at 9:19 AM

The piper will be paid eventually, and at that point all those that voted for hopenchange will realize Obama’s hand is in THEIR pockets too. Then it won’t be pretty.

Gibbs speaks and instantly reminds me of Porky Pig. Pink, stuttering, “uh, uh, hmm, uh, ahh, uh”. Continue as necessary.

Thing that gets me is this tool went to college where I did.
Apparently they allow ANYONE into Auburn these days.

bradley11 on June 30, 2009 at 9:22 AM

You should try weathering this crap working for the state of California. The Third monthly furlough day was announced to state employees yesterday. A total of 15% pay reduction. Now we’re waiting for twenty % and looking forward to shut downs and much higher federal taxes.

I know there’s not much sympathy for California state employees, but why not, we may get higher wages than other state’s employees but you should try living in the highest taxed state in the union and we certainly don’t make the rules on how money is spent. AND remember, you vote for a republican like I did for Mary Bono-Mack and look what good it did me. She votes for the biggest tax bill… evah.

Ernest on June 30, 2009 at 9:29 AM

I’m going to take your word on it, Allah.

Out of solidarity, I never watch clips of Goebbels.

bluelightbrigade on June 30, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Alden Pyle on June 29, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Apparently, that’s not kid-friendly, so be prepared to take criticism for that comment.

I suggest burnings in effigy, but some commenters think burning effigies is bad for kids to see.

/Guy Fawkes.

bluelightbrigade on June 30, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Not the case here in my area (Billings, Mt.)

Keemo on June 30, 2009 at 9:13 AM

I see a few of them in Alabama. I swear it makes my blood boil because I just want to get out and ask them how in the hell they voted for this nitwit. I see one guy with a big Obama/Biden sticker on his SUV. SUV driver – go figure. He gets out with his three kids. Kids are in tie-dye shirts. I kid you not.

I want to ask him, aren’t you pissed off Obama just sold your kids in to poverty before they’ve even gotten a job? Aren’t you mad he’s going to increase gasoline to the point where you can’t drive this hulking SUV? Aren’t you ticked off he’s going to make it so you cannot get into the doctor quickly enough when you’re kids have appendicitis? How do you feel knowing Biden’s got your back on all things intellectual?

But I always refrain. I shake my head and go about my business. But I wouldn’t have a Obama bumper-sticker on my car this time next year.

Thunderstorm129 on June 30, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Where is the “Read my lips” moment for the One? Where is the intrepid media?

inspectorudy on June 29, 2009 at 11:15 PM

It was sad watching CNN spin this yesterday-when they brought it up, the first thing they mentioned was Pappy Bush’s infamous “read my lips” bit.

However, they the totally ignored the fact that his successor also did the same thing. Of course, Pappy’s successor is a Democrat, so he didn’t deserve mention.

Goebbels would be proud of them.

Del Dolemonte on June 30, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Thunderstorm129 on June 30, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Interesting. I pretty much do the same thing when I see such things. Shake my head and wonder.

Keemo on June 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM

We’ll know the honeymoon is over when the NY Times prints a headline on page 1 that says, “Obama is a failure and perpetual liar.”

Let me know when that happens. Not holding my breath.

Daggett on June 30, 2009 at 9:59 AM

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows that 31% of the nation’s voters now Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Thirty-three percent (33%) Strongly Disapprove giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -2. That matches the lowest level yet recorded.

Heading in the right direction; still can’t figure out how this man gets 31%.

Keemo on June 30, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Heading in the right direction; still can’t figure out how this man gets 31%.

Keemo on June 30, 2009 at 10:09 AM

As an aside, Mental Health professionals are eagerly awaiting the final results of Obama’s presidental approval rating, do some time in 2012. They look forward to finally getting an accurate number of how many people are legally insane in this country.

Thunderstorm129 on June 30, 2009 at 10:12 AM

still can’t figure out how this man gets 31%

15% of the population are black. There’s half of the 31% The REAL numbers for this guy are much lower than recent Presidents. The media has created a facade of support. It’s smoke and mirrors.

marklmail on June 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Heading in the right direction; still can’t figure out how this man gets 31%.

Keemo on June 30, 2009 at 10:09 AM

This may be a good start in finding those 31%

Poll: 37% of Americans Unable to Locate America on Map of America

Washington, D.C. — According to a Gallup/Harris poll released Monday, a full 37 percent of American citizens are incapable of identifying their home country on a map of the United States.

These are also the same people who spend so much time on bended knee in front of this:

Obama Shrine
[Mark Steyn]
A reader took this picture today at a street fair at Hayes and Octavia in San Francisco, of all places:

Baxter Greene on June 30, 2009 at 10:30 AM

How do you like him now? Just wait, he remains hell bent on trashing what is successful and working in this country and hell bent on replacing it with 3rd world performance and mentality.

saiga on June 30, 2009 at 10:32 AM

The honeymoon’s over.

WRONG!

Just like a beaten woman who refuses to leave the one who hurts her, the MSM will to not only continue to whore for Der Fuehrer, they will continue to beg for the abuse. As someone wrote not long ago, liberalism is a mental disorder.

oldleprechaun on June 30, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Keemo on June 30, 2009 at 9:13 AM

I agree.
I am actually getting pretty encouraged about how much the average American is starting to catch on to this “hope and change” con job.

Many of my friends are democrats (more of the FDR type,very few micheal moore idiots) and I am seeing a major change in attitude.
The most consistent comment I get from them is “this is not who I thought he was” and “but…but…what about what the Republicans did”.
The incredible spending,quadrupling the deficit,broken promises,higher unemployment,and higher energy prices have them embarrassed about their votes.
They have certainly not given up on him but they don’t have that smile on their faces anymore and the “yes we can” has
turned into the “God I hope he doesn’t”.
I have also noticed the average man and women in restaurants,retail stores,and at the gym gripping about deficits,unemployment,and Obama being just another “Bush” concerning the War on Terror( or whatever they are calling
it now).
None of this is going to matter though if the Republicans don’t put forth some leadership and coherent,viable alternatives to Obama’s socialist policies.

Baxter Greene on June 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM

‘There is no use in trying,’ said Alice; ‘one can’t believe impossible things.’ ‘I dare say you haven’t much practice,’ said the Queen. ‘When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.’ – Lewis Carroll.
You in?