Video: Press corps now openly laughing at Obama’s backtracking on taxes

posted at 7:26 pm on June 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

It’s a laugh riot, isn’t it? Actually, they might be laughing more at Gibbs’s feeble way of ducking the question than The One’s looming broken promise, but in Gibbs’s defense, what’s he supposed to say? Obama pounded McCain for wanting to pay for health care by taxing benefits, rode into D.C. promising Change, and now he’s going to eat a crap sandwich by reversing himself because it turns out personal charisma doesn’t work on hard economic numbers. So Axelrod and company have to go out and face the firing squad and “explain” via stuttering half-answers why Barry O lied about this last year. It’s a political microcosm of Obama’s economic M.O.: They borrowed political capital by pledging “no new taxes” to win the election and now down the road the bill’s finally come due.

Elsewhere today, Gibbs declared that it’s okay to start judging the success of the stimulus. Over to you, Innocent Bystanders!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Guy in my vanpool this morning sez “See, Obama is doing what he said he would, pulling the troops out of Iraq.”

Where to start? Oh, and you don’t want to know what this guy does for a living, and how many lives depend on him getting it right. You really don’t.

drunyan8315 on June 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM

People who voted for Obama have no idea what he promised, and no idea what he’s actually done.

I’m reading about the creation of the U.S. Constitution. Many of our founders were worried that the average citizen would not be informed enough to be good voters. They feared that a charlatan, smooth talker, or some person willing to promise money to the masses would be able to mislead the voters.

Those guys were way out of touch, huh?

hawksruleva on June 30, 2009 at 11:46 AM

This woman must be having a really bad hangover right now:

“I don’t have to worry about putting gas in my car, I won’t have to worry about paying my mortgage” – Ha! That’s a good one.

Michelle Dubois on June 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Michelle Dubois on June 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Actually, she may’ve been right since she probably has no car and no mortgage now based on not having a job.

hollygolightly on June 30, 2009 at 12:18 PM

drunyan8315 on June 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM

is he a fireman who got an undeserved promotion???

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM

hollygolightly on June 30, 2009 at 12:18 PM

lol! I didn’t think of that… that makes me the optimist. I should lol@myself.

Michelle Dubois on June 30, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Well he trounces on the Constitution daily. So lying comes as second nature to him. He has no problem with it. It’s easier, than being honest.

capejasmine on June 30, 2009 at 12:56 PM

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST

What do you like so much about the US Capitol that you would describe yourself as a Capitolist?

SD on June 30, 2009 at 12:57 PM

SD on June 30, 2009 at 12:57 PM

It’s in the slang dictionary,
I dont see too much I like in the Capitol these days.
thanks for asking.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 30, 2009 at 1:01 PM

capitolist
One who believes one should make as much money as inhumanly possible by any means necessary. Commonly followed by “pig”.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 30, 2009 at 1:02 PM

So you’re embracing someone else’s illiterate misspelling? Got it.

SD on June 30, 2009 at 1:17 PM

SD on June 30, 2009 at 12:57 PM

I don’t know what a capitolist is? Do you mean capitalist? Proud to be one! ;) Did you know most other countries are turning toward capitalism, because they know now, that it leads to prosperity, and success for a nation? If you can’t abide being one, stop buying stuff. Use leaves instead of toilet paper. Live entirely off the land, and walk, walk walk, everywhere. Because every time you purchase, or use anything that costs money, you’re contributing to capitalism, comrade! ;)

capejasmine on June 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Capejasmine, are you actually giving me a lecture on capitalism because I was facetiously asking someone about his use of the misspelled “capitolist”?

SD on June 30, 2009 at 1:27 PM

The Government does not make anything but laws and print money to cover what they spend and therefore have to recoup money through taxing citizens. How else can they pay for all the spending projects, other than devaluate the dollar and tax citizens that work.

workingforpigs on June 30, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Has anyone looked at HR 1799. It’s yet another tax. Oh and yes it will tax those who make under 250k.

boomer on June 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I TOLD you so..
Their ALL theves and Liers..

The real reason the reporters are scrambling is twofold

1. They realize that the Public considers the reporters as worse than the scum laywers working at the aclu

2. They realize that obama is going to TAX the Living cRAP out of them (unless they move to iran)…

So now their all scared crapless..
GOOD you made your bed you damn asswipes

Sleep in with
Too bad barry gonna take your bed and Give it to all the illegals..

Enjoy – while you can..

veteranoutrage on June 30, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Obama is going to throw Gibb’s under a bus real soon.

feedercattle on June 30, 2009 at 5:29 PM

If Gibbs has any honor whatsoever he should just resign.

csdeven on June 30, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I think I’ll try using “We’re gonna let the process work its way through” as my new catch-all for “No, and I was indeed lying, but I don’t really want to say that.”

“You said you’d pay for your entire college education. Are you still going to do that?”
“We’re gonna let the process work its way through.”
etc.

Boy oh boy!

OneGyT on June 30, 2009 at 6:58 PM

I’ve got to take work off the day Obama breaks this promise. Fire up the pop corn, get my favorite drink out, and watch the show.

Seixon on June 30, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Is that a look of disgust on the link picture? It’s the same look I see when I’ve caught someone in a lie, and they are still trying to get away with it.

ConservadorRebelde on July 1, 2009 at 2:01 AM