Quote of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on June 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

“‘He was tanned, rested and ready,’ said one former campaign aide of his old boss.

For the Romney team, it’s not too much of a stretch to say that the campaign never really ended.

In addition to the full-time employees the former Massachusetts governor has at his Boston-based Free & Strong America PAC, the early primary states and Washington are filled with former staffers and supporters who are in regular contact with one another.

Whenever Romney has a major TV appearance or pens an opinion piece, a PAC staffer, Will Ritter, circulates the news to an e-mail list of the former governor’s extended political family.

The Washington-based alumni have a regular monthly luncheon, are working on another reunion-like event around a 2009 candidate later this year and always make sure their former candidate is briefed on the latest political doings…

“I’m going be a Mitt guy until he tells me he’s not running for president,” said Jim Merrill, who ran Romney’s New Hampshire primary campaign and said he still gets excited e-mails from local activists every time the former governor is on TV.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

homesickamerican is a good handle to blog with here. I think we are all going to be home sick for the America we are rapidly losing with the socialists in charge of the piggy bank in DC.

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:41 AM

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Loxodonta is the Latin scientific name for a genus of elephants. I am a Catholic, Reagan Republican. Loxo means curved or bent. Donta means tooth. I am “long of tooth” and often bent over or walk crooked due to pain. I’m old and physically awkward, often falling or bumping into things. Other than that, I’m just your atypical impoverished, very odd, nonconformist, socially inept hermit.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 1:41 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:41 AM

yes, that alternate meaning has occurred to me often since coming back here. especially on nov. 5th, jan. 20th, and a whole lot of other dates…

homesickamerican on June 30, 2009 at 1:44 AM

Fighton03, my relatives on my mom’s side all settled in the Detroit area after WW2 (from the Upper Peninsula) because there were good jobs there for the WW2 generation. However, my mom settled us 120 miles west when she met my dad out in New Jersey and brought him back to her home state to raise a family. So we would have Thanksgiving dinner ever year near 6 1/2 mile and Telegraph. My aunt was a marvelous cook and dozens would be there. The men would to go the Lions game, the women stayed home and cooked, and us kids just had a ball. My cousin bought his parent’s house and still lives there. I have first cousins all over the various cities near Detroit, but we were the only ones that lived that far away.

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:44 AM

technopeasant on June 30, 2009 at 1:06 AM

I wasn’t including Palin in the parade of loser 2008 Republican Presidential candidates I was talking about. She obviously wasn’t one of those. I’ll be interested in hearing her make her case if she decides to run in 2012.

Buddahpundit on June 30, 2009 at 1:45 AM

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 1:41 AM

nicely played!

homesickamerican on June 30, 2009 at 1:46 AM

homesick, where were you living? I am an upper exec for a newly emerging company and we are dealing with people all over Europe and Asia, that is why I am on the computer at all times of the day and night. I have to work the clock based on who/what I have to do and where they are. I have also taken cruises all over. I have yet to visit Australia, Africa and Antartica, but have geen to a lot of the other Continents.

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:47 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:47 AM

japan for 8 years, then thailand for 3.

homesickamerican on June 30, 2009 at 1:49 AM

blatantblue on June 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM

As so many have already said, AMEN!!!!!!!

*If you want to select the GOP candidate, CLOSE THE PRIMARIES! If not, we will get another McCain.

In all of this posting about Sara Palin I have yet to read, (pardon if I missed it), where anyone discussed her taking on the corruption of Alaskan politics on both sides of the coin. President Me/Myself/Messiah has more scandals, and corruption going on in this first 6 months than the Clintons in their first 6 months!

In addition, Palin has an outside the Beltway plus. She is a politician who does not come across as a politician. By 2012, no red-blooded American is going to want a crap weasel politician within 100 miles of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. She comes across as a regular person.

As to the mod-squad, they cannot decide who won the election. They are still trying to figure out if elections are a good thing. It is not the moderates we must appeal to, but rather the Independents who are former Republicans, and alienated Democrats. Independent Republicans are more than likely mostly made up of Broken Glass Conservative types. Somewhere between 8-10 million of these Conservatives did not vote in the last election. They will not vote for anything but a Conservative, and you cannot win without them. Especially if illegals are made citizens! Independent Democrats are Blue Dog Democrats who would love another version of Reagan to appear. They hate President Skateboard, and are pissed over how HRC was treated. Palin can win both.

There is nothing whatsoever to indicate Palin cannot appeal to some Atheist, Gays, Lesbians, African-Americans, Hispanics, Chinese, or Purple People Eaters. She will not, and cannot appeal to the terrorist, Fascists, Socialist, ACORN, GOP Elitist, Code Pink, American haters of all stripes, or any Soros backed entity. She will defend Israel, and would not be so stupid as to back Mahmoud, or Zelaya! There goes the whole foreign policy argument. Granted, I wish I knew what she knew in this area, but she could not make things WORSE than what they are now.

But I still think we have not seen the entire field yet. Something tells me there is going to be a name pop out that none of us have considered, but will like.

freeus on June 30, 2009 at 1:50 AM

man I need to use preview. I meant to say “I have BEEN to a lot of the other places on the other Continents”

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:50 AM

nicely played!

homesickamerican on June 30, 2009 at 1:46 AM

Thanks. And thanks for your explanation. Yes. You may want to change your user name at the next open registration. Or, even though you are here now, you might consider keeping your moniker until America comes home again. And then, when asked, that might provoke a lot of thinking.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 1:52 AM

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 1:41 AM

Lox…..I seriously doubt all of your assumptions. Why? Because I’m an INTP and tend to be bit of all that you claim to be and

I’M NOT OLD :).

I appreciate the depth of your handle, and respect your intellect not to mention the humor of the elephant reference! Hang in there us true anti government types need to stick together to for the new party!

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:52 AM

If Obama ends up raising taxes on those he promised not to, any number of Republican candidates could beat him. However, Mitt would have the most difficulty because Obama could easily counter with the fact that Romney has flip-flopped on everything.

Anyways, Obama’s new regulator thinks that animals should be able to sue humans.

V15J on June 30, 2009 at 1:52 AM

Like Julius Caesar and his army crossing the Rubicon, Sarah will cross and send Romney scampering like the city-softened Pompei to Egypt.

Her followers will be confident and will sacrifice for her. She will have her Alesia and after she does, she will march on Washington like Rome as an outsider as the capital city will grow into an even bigger cesspool of corruption and slavery and skullduggery.

CUDA! CUDA! CUDA! CUDA!

Then she’ll balance the budget, cut taxes, add some interpretationists for the courts, make America’s currency stronger and reverse the madness called Obamanomics and Obamacare.

Federalism anyone?

Sapwolf on June 30, 2009 at 1:54 AM

freeus,

and the choir said AMEN.

Many of us Palin fans know what you have stated here, especially house she actually drained her cesspool of corruption in Alaska instead of talking about it like that head b*tch in charge of the House in DC.

One of the things I admire about Palin is her expertise in energy. Just say I have a lot of inside knowledge here on all of this green stuff. I firmly believe that even if a watered down version of that abomination that they passed on Friday gets out of the Senate, by 2012, the energy prices are going to be so high that the

DRILL BABY DRILL will resonate with more people. We almost got that traction this election cycle and was almost there at the tipping point when that whole economy collapsed in September. Then the whole energy debate went out of the window and we are not experiencing the higher prices so far this summer like last summer.

By 2012, there will be so much disappointment in the outcome of the green energy stuff (prices, corruption, derivatives that will skew prices even higher, ect), that the drill here, drill now will resonate, as well as the “all of the above” strategy for energy, including junking all of the cap and trade bull.

Palin will be the perfect storm to the libs in 2012, the forces are happening now.

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:57 AM

Palin represents transfer of wealth from oil companies to alaskans check books.

PrezHussein on June 30, 2009 at 1:59 AM

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:52 AM

INFP

Look up Anton Bruckner or Charles-Valentin Alkan, then add some Charles Ives and a lot of Harpo Marx. Yes. I am a Marxist.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Nah! You’re wrong. They’ll be on the ticket together. It really doesn’t matter who is on the top. They both are strong in different ways that complement each other. They, together, will be a winning ticket.

Enough squabbling and squawking. Night-night, all.

ErinF on June 30, 2009 at 2:01 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:44am

Dang..we left in 1972 and it was hell then. I was back in 1988 and every other house was burned out. It looked like a friggin war zone. My grandfather on my stepdad’s side was an upper turret gunner during ww2 and stayed in Detroit after WW2. I went to my first major league baseball game at Tiger stadium…not the new one:). If you’re up thuere I really hope things straighten out!

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:02 AM

No karenhasfreedom-I’m a conservative, who recognizes that the GOP has to have a plan to replace the Democratic plan, otherwise, they win the issue. That is why people like Reihan Salam has started to author the Agenda blog at National Review Online because the GOP has few, if any, effective spokespeople to articulate conservative ideals and plans.

Governor Palin is badly damaged goods, and people simply asserting to the contrary is not going to make it so.

President Obama was the most liberal member of the US Senate, but was able to sound moderate, as he ‘adjusted’ his positions rightward. Clearly many journalists avoided asking him any difficult questions (with the exception of Major Garrett and Jake Tapper), and he had an opponent in Senator McCain, who was in a precarious position after a very unpopular incumbent.

It’s early, but Palin is not the one. She had an awful launch with Katie Couric interview, and I don’t see how she changes the perception of herself between now, and the election.

As to Michigan, I have lived there my entire life, and regardless of how awful the governance is (spectacularly awful in fact), I think any GOP candidate would like to be the first to win its electoral votes in 2012.

sDs61678 on June 30, 2009 at 2:03 AM

ErinF on June 30, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Good night.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 2:04 AM

It should read “GOP candidate would like to be the first since 1988 to win its electoral votes in 2012″

sDs61678 on June 30, 2009 at 2:05 AM

INFP

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 2:00 AM

No Frikkin way!

Sorry, as much as I believe in the circle (that democracy and communism are the same thing) I can’t see you as a true marxist :)!

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:06 AM

ErinF on June 30, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Say that ou see Palin as top billing and all is good…..mainly for myt idealism, that minimalist government is best!

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:06 AM

But I am a Marxist. And when people here think I’m a woman, I let them know I am the sweetest little thing in the whole wide world.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 2:09 AM

I am 150 miles away from that cesspool called Detroit, Fighton. I only moved back here to help with my WW2 generation mom. Otherwise I never would have left Texas (I moved back there in 2003 and was able to stay there until 2006, in Austin). I lived in the DFW area fresh out of school, ironically as an industrial engineer for the GM factory in that area. Boy, could I write books on the GM/Obama fiasco, don’t even get me started.

When I first moved to Texas back in 78, one of my co-workers told me that Texas has a special provision in its deal with the US when they joined the union. Supposedly they can break themselves up into 5 states if they want to. Can you imagine 10 senators from this red state instead of 2? But even then, Texans were very independent and joked about disowning anything north of the red river.

Now when they talk about seceding, it doesn’t even phase me, as I have lived there and understand how they think. They are smart enough to only let their legislators work every other year for a limited time. They have to pass a 2 year budget and then go home until the next election. That is why Texas works so well. They limit their government.

Texas is my long term destination state. However, family obligations leave me here in my birth state for a while.

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 2:10 AM

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 2:09 AM

uh,,lox…women and sweet don’t necesarrily go together…

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:10 AM

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:10 AM

So, you’ve noticed that as well. Another point of agreement.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 2:12 AM

can’t see you as a true marxist :)!

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:06 AM

You better get up to speed on this or I’ll let out my inner Groucho Marxist.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 2:15 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 2:10 AM

I’ve heard several versions of the special texas thing. Wish they were true!

I like the Texas idea of the part time legislation..they can only get into half as much trouble as the cali kind!
bastages!

But I’m a cali native and can’t give up on my home……know what I mean? As much as I’ve been an army brat and lived everywhere, I want this place to be better. So all you 49 staters out there…beat this obama turd into the ground and stop this carp in it’s tracks…ok?

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:17 AM

You better get up to speed on this or I’ll let out my inner Groucho Marxist.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 2:15 AM

ummmmmmm..soshould I be afraid of slipping out of these wet tails and into a dry martini?……be an xy and all :)?

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:19 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:57 AM

The only thing she needs is a professional PR person. Nothing at all against those in Alaska, but there has to be someone who is better at building bridges to the GOP monied lot she is going to need to conquer in order to win. A PR top drawer type who can teach her how to say the exact same thing, but differently.

For example, I compared the NBC and CNN interviews. Regardless of what a nitwit Matt was in badgering her, she must steer the interviews to get out what needs to be conveyed. Liz Cheney is masterful at this. In the CNN interview she finally got out her intelligence capacity, and issues with defense because of the nutty Norks. I know she knows more about foreign matters than what people think.

And for the love of Pete, she has got to stop with some of these lines which are getting old. Give us more than just Alaska’s energy assets. A PR person can help craft some of this, and she needs one badly. And hire her speech writer that helped out with the Convention speech!

freeus on June 30, 2009 at 2:21 AM

Given the strength and cohesiveness of his organization, as well as his very formidable political skills, Mitt Romney will probably win the GOP nomination but is–in my opinion–unelectable at the top of the ticket. Whatever the state of the economy, however bad things might be on the foreign policy front, Barack Obama will beat Romney in any scenario I can imagine. I’m not slurring Romney or casting any kind of aspersions on his leadership qualities or character. My reasoning? For one thing, Romney’s Mormon faith alienates many in the evangelical community, a mainstay of the conservative GOP base. For another, Romney ran for Massachusetts governor as a moderate–a requirement for any serious GOP candidate in a blue or purple state. Thus, a Romney campaign would necessarily eschew hot-button, vote-getting, base-galvanizing social issues in favor of a sober, well-articulated platform primarily based on economic and foreign policy issues, which are Romney’s strengths, anyway. So what happens when a moderate Republican without strong base support plays against the Obama machine? We’ve seen what happens. Romney is an honorable man, as McCain is an honorable man, but losing honorably is still losing.

How about Palin/Romney? As a political pairing, those two complement each other perfectly: Palin’s vote-getting star power and charisma, Romney’s reassuring gravitas and obvious quality of mind. Besides, watching brilliant, accomplished Mitt Romney debating buffoonish windbag Joe Biden would make it all worthwhile.

troyriser_gopftw on June 30, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:19 AM

This is where being a socially inept hermit comes into play. I don’t know whether I’ve confused you about me, but I am absolutely certain that I am clueless about what you mean by that.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 2:24 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 2:10 AM

Bless you for taking care of your mom. I’ve done volunteer work with elderly abandoned by their families.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 2:27 AM

trust me lox….ineptness is where it’s at! BTW..you in AK?

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:31 AM

troy, I agree that Romney would make a good VP for Palin, but I don’t think his ego would allow him to be in 2nd place on the ticket.

Freeus, I lived in S. Cal from 83 to 86, 91 to 95 and 99 go 2003. Each time I moved away, was for career opportunities, each time I moved back it is because I loved living in the South Bay area (south of LAX). However after moving back in 99 and suffering through the blackouts induced by that idiotic energy legislation, I realized that CA had jumped the shark. And there is a huge, noticeable influx of illegal aliens there compared to when I first got there in 83 (Amnesty, thank you Reagan, his one big mistake). I can’t go back there again. The quality of life has degraded so much and my income has quadrupled and I won’t allow CA to get their mits on my money. It is bad enough that MI is getting a bigger share than I would pay in Texas, but it is what it is.

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 2:33 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 2:33 AM

Holy chit! I can’t believe you came back! I bought a company and tried…but cali has killed me….this sophomoric state has no ties toi my work and effort at all. Good luck!

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:36 AM

AK?

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:31 AM

I’m in undisclosed deeply blue area in EDT. When I cannot avoid interacting with people in person, I never discuss anything political. And that includes the weather.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 2:40 AM

I have been an entrepreneur ever since I fired my boss in Phoenix in 1991. Haven’t had one since. So I had the flexibility to move back and forth across country to pursue projects. When I was in CA, it was always by choice, a lifestyle choice. I always moved back when I didn’t have to be elsewhere for a project. I used to say I would move back only when I could afford a home in Manhattan Beach. Now I don’t even think I would now, because CA is such a mess. I don’t want to voluntarily surrender 12% of my gross pay to that state.

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 2:42 AM

sDs61678 on June 30, 2009 at 2:03 AM

Only an idiotic Repubelican, or non-Conservative would make those assertions.

First of all, it was Nicole Wallace, a close friend to Couric, who pressed the issue and kept making Palin go back for the interview. And as we all found out and knew, the assholes at CBS and ABC did edit, or contort the interviews. I want to bash my tv in every time I see her on Hannity!

Since the interview, Palin has told us what went on during the interviews that we did not see. I believe HER way more than that dried up prune still leaking audience members at CBS.

Schmidt, who is a dog and scum RINO, McCain butt licker contributed greatly to all things anti-Palin. If you had one inkling as to what was going on behind the scenes you would know Palin in no way was responsible for what you have asserted. There are a few other names which should go here.

Beyond the idiotic media who sold their souls to the devil himself, the problem was ever falling for the line that we have to elect someone who can win, or is winnable. “Someone who can appeal to the moderates.” Balderdash! The “damaged goods” line is old, and so is the “we have to go with a viable candidate” line!

A real Conservative is going to say they want the strongest Conservative, not the most viable candidate! Why? Because as El Rushbo says, “Conservatism wins every time it is tried!”

Sorry, but if you are a true Conservative, President Ice Cream is pro-Israel!

Even though I have said positive things about Palin, many Conservatives are not so easily resigned to Mitt, or any candidate at this time. I did campaign for Mitt during the primary, but I have not signed up to do anything on his behalf now. My motto was anyone but Huckahu Akbahr, or McCain. I am not going to so readily support anyone at this juncture. Right now, I am just wishing we had a Chairman who had a pair of loverly man made items.

freeus on June 30, 2009 at 2:44 AM

Trig shows Sarah will walk the walk.

William Amos on June 29, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Giving birth to Trig was a good thing, but honestly, there was no way she was going to abort him, no matter how sincere her pro-life views were. There would have been no way to hide it from the media.

Do you really think Palin wanted to be the first Governor in American history to have an abortion? And a Republican Governor at that? The pro-life lobby would have declared jihad on her and her political future would be over.

Speedwagon82 on June 30, 2009 at 2:47 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 2:42 AM

only 12%????? lol this place is hell on entrepreneurs…..it’s killed my trucking company. I would love to have a business where I could safely take care of my people!

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:48 AM

I liked how Sarah told us in her speech at the convention that she had time for “God to prepare my heart” when she learned Trig would have Down’s syndrome. I thought that was such an honest phrase. That simple sentence let us know that she was torn, knew she had options, and had the time to mentally and emotionally prepare for the challenge that was being handed to her, rather than take the easy way out.

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 2:50 AM

Speedwagon82 on June 30, 2009 at 2:47 AM

with all possible repoect…..go F yourself!

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:51 AM

12% is what I would pay on my net biz proceeds after all the biz stuff is done. I was only looking at my additional personal income taxes. Last I heard, they still have an 11% ceiling (maybe it is higher now) in the income tax, and they still have that state disability tax, gosh knows what that is now. I wasn’t even talking about biz taxes because my company is incorporated, therefore, they are not my taxes and we have shareholders. So I was only looking at the tax thing from my own 1040

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 2:52 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 2:50 AM

exactly……how do prepare?

there is no perfect answer and she expressed it in the best way she could. I don’t expect any more.

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:53 AM

sDs61678 on June 30, 2009 at 2:03 AM

Only an idiotic Repubelican, or non-Conservative would make those assertions.

Sorry, but if you are a true Conservative, President Ice Cream is pro-Israel!

And to those saying Evangelicals will not vote for Mitt, hogwash! I am an Evangelical, and I campaigned for him after Fred dropped out. If you can say any Republican can win because Obama is going to have the world on fire, then you can also say Evangelicals will vote for Mitt. I cannot properly express how ridiculous, and how maddening this concept of Evangelicals not supporting a Mormon is!

freeus on June 30, 2009 at 2:57 AM

No Catholic is going to win the Presidency

No Black is going to win the Presidency

Red State State of Mind on June 29, 2009 at 10:54 PM

If you are saying that a Mormon needs a Daley and his own ACORN-syle voter fraud to be president, I agree.

TMK on June 30, 2009 at 3:11 AM

with all possible repoect…..go F yourself!

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 2:51 AM

Sorry but I don’t elevate ANY politician above political considerations. That way, when they disappoint like Sanford did to his supporters, it doesn’t destroy my worldview.

Speedwagon82 on June 30, 2009 at 3:24 AM

I don’t care if Romney is mormon or martian, it hardly matters as long as he stick to his morality in making decisions as president.

I’m torn between Romney and Palin. Romney has the fiscal experience, neither have extensive foreign policy experience as far as I know, but really, what president in the last few decades has, except Bush Sr., but his was CIA, then VP. He walked into the room already dirty as hell, so maybe a clean slate or close to it, can be a good thing.

Sarah is more of a personality than Romney. Basically, she comes off less business-like than he does, but IMO, she’s overplayed the folksy thing. It’s fine for American venues, but I don’t think it plays well to the rest of the world…she may look like a back woods retard, and that won’t help us with foreign issues.

Romney is serious business…that’s what he projects. Sara is anti-corruption and soccer mom.

Right now, with what we need to do and UNdo, I think Romney may be a better way to go. That may change though….

Spiritk9 on June 30, 2009 at 3:27 AM

The failure of RomneyCare will be hung around his neck in 2012, especially if this dismal health care anything passes from this Congress before then. We need to run to UNdo any disaster this Congress puts on us for Health Care.

And apparently Romney is squishy on the 2nd amendment. These 2 things will make him a poor candidate to really run a hard issues campaign against Obama.

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 4:08 AM

Romney’s Mormonism seems to be the only thing he has a long consistent record of, and in no way would prevent me from voting for him. But the only candidate from 08 that I would vote for in the primary is Palin.

darktood on June 30, 2009 at 4:34 AM

Looks like we have some new players to the game………..

………… Welcome.

Seven Percent Solution on June 30, 2009 at 4:57 AM

I’m a bit puzzled over Romney’s popularity among some Republicans. Romneycare is apparently a flop, and similar measures in Hawaii have aleady failed.

No one here seems to like Huck or Guliani, so it’s essentially down to Mitt and Palin. Romney strikes me as the more charismatic and articulate of the two, but my gut feeling is that neither is seriously a seroius threat.

There’s still time until 2012. I think the GOP will ultimately benefit from some new faces emerging from their field. A truly fiscally conservative candidate championing smaller government. Any serious GOP candidate will be pro life, traditional marriage, and second amendment rights by DEFAULT, so I won’t worry about that. It’s a champion of free market that we need.

Reagan – “Government isn’t the solution, it’s the problem”

I’ll vote for someone who will mutter this in their sleep.

Mad Kimchi on June 30, 2009 at 5:17 AM

I’m also going to be a MITT GUY until he says he’s NOT RUNNING. And even if he says that I’ll still pressure him into running.

rednebulastudios on June 30, 2009 at 5:30 AM

troyriser_gopftw on June 30, 2009 at 2:23 AM

After the several hatchet jobs his staff pulled on Sarah and his pathetic record, I don’t want anything to do with Romney. It’s either Palin/Giuliani 2012 or Palin/Rubio 2012. Would love to watch the north eastern buttboys explode if the latter ticket happens.

promachus on June 30, 2009 at 5:41 AM

Spiritk9 on June 30, 2009 at 3:27 AM

Dude, she put together the largest infra-structure project in NA history, a project that was just being discused for 30 years, she brought Exxon on board, making sure they even pay their 500 mil dollar fines to Alaska in the process etc. This trumps Mittens Snow Olympics anyday. You might want to re-think your soccer mom thingy, she’s much more than that.

Also, it’s hockey mom.

promachus on June 30, 2009 at 5:47 AM

The stubborn far-right uber-pro-life Huck supporters will do everything they can to be sure the heathen Romney does not get the nod as the Republican candidate. We will eat our own young again, I guarantee it. :-(

cannonball on June 29, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Huck has been to busy putting all his weight back on, he is too busy to think of running again.

RobertInLexington on June 30, 2009 at 6:10 AM

Spiritk9 on June 30, 2009 at 3:27 AM

Also, it’s hockey mom.

promachus on June 30, 2009 at 5:47 AM

Big difference between soccer mom and hockey mom.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 6:20 AM

promachus on June 30, 2009 at 5:47 AM

Touché!

maverick muse on June 30, 2009 at 6:34 AM

TMK on June 30, 2009 at 3:

Bingo,that’s what I’m saying and we don’t have those things in the GOP

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 6:40 AM

Tanned, Tested, and Ready to be his flip flopping phoney self

bill30097 on June 30, 2009 at 6:44 AM

Unless Palin undertakes a massive, effective PR campaign to counteract the damage the SRM has done, she is not electable.

txag92 on June 29, 2009 at 11:06 PM

She has been running an effective PR campaign in my opinion. She has spoken out on the O’s policies, she’s visiting troops in Bosnia, she is placing energy resources in the forefront. And it’s only 2009. It’s Palin for me.

jimmy2shoes on June 30, 2009 at 6:51 AM

*shrug*

I get the same feeling from Mitt that I got from McCain–I’ll support him if that’s my only choice, but he isn’t what I really want and I don’t think he can win.

Palin 2012!

pugwriter on June 30, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Tanned, Tested, and Ready to be his flip flopping phoney self

bill30097 on June 30, 2009 at 6:44 AM

That could be a big relief to a lot of people. After all, O has lowered the bar. I’d take you over him sight unseen.

JiangxiDad on June 30, 2009 at 6:57 AM

Romney doesn’t have a job except preparing for his next run. I’m very disappointed that he remains quiet as Barack and Democrats dismantle our economy and democracy. Yes, he has comments but always in character, not too harsh, not too assertive. He’s too much the gentleman for me. He’s a blue-blood politician who I doubt has the stomach to fight the ideologues in the Democrat leadership.

We are at a dangerous point in our history. The dominant party is enacting policies in law to actively disable their rival party from ever gaining the majority. Their executive is creating offices under his authority to control public life beyond the reach of the legislature. Our President is now siding with radical communists against the elected congress and the Supreme Court of a neighboring country.

In the face of all these attacks on American tradition the GOP remains cautious and focused on polls and demographics. If Romney wants to lead the opening is there. I see no evidence he’s got the passion required to take on the job. I’d take Palin over Romney anytime. She more than wants it, she believes it.

rcl on June 30, 2009 at 6:59 AM

JiangxiDad on June 30, 2009 at 6:57 AM

That bar is getting so low thanks to Obama that soon Biden could appear qualified and truthful.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 7:04 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 2:10 AM

I recently was “Granholmed” out of Grand Rapids. There are things I miss about Michigan and I can’t sell the house but overall it is really nice to be living back down in Virginia where everything isn’t so bleak and depressing (and I’m not talking about the weather). There is a cloud over Michigan and I don’t see it lifting anytime soon what with the way the Democrats and unions have destroyed a perfectly nice state.

highhopes on June 30, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Palin 2012!

pugwriter on June 30, 2009 at 6:51 AM

I’m sorry but I just don’t see Palin as a winning proposition unless and until she gets some national policy making experience. I like her but I can’t support her with her current level of experience. We all should have learned that lesson considering the corrupt filthy liar that is currently infesting the White House along with his racist spouse and band of unelected Chicago street thugs.

More importantly, let’s put discussions about 2012 aside long enough to concentrate on delivering to the filthy liar a GOP majority in Congress strong enough the bastard won’t be able to rubber stamp all his socialism and, for a change, will have to work with Republicans instead of putting forward the I won so STFU mantra that has dominated his actions to date.

Let me be clear. The filthy liar in the White House needs to fail and the most effective way of shutting the bastard down is by winning back Congress in 2010, not concentrating on 2012. Obama must fail.

highhopes on June 30, 2009 at 7:21 AM

rcl on June 30, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Excellent. Something about him has bothered me from the get-go, and you put it into words.

davidk on June 30, 2009 at 7:22 AM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 7:04 AM

No. There is no amount of shifting standards that can save Biden from being a bigger national joke than Dan Quayle ever was.

highhopes on June 30, 2009 at 7:22 AM

highhopes on June 30, 2009 at 7:21 AM

What? She can see Russia from her back porch!

Seriously, she has the wisdom and insight not only to solve problems on a multi-national scale but also to surround herself with people who have said experience.

Look what we have now. The only multi-national experience OsamabamaBidenHussein has is in the streets of Chicago, and he hired as a State Dept. head a chick who is as narcissistic as he himself and her husband.

I belive your assessment is without merit.

davidk on June 30, 2009 at 7:29 AM

Palin/Rubio 2012.

promachus on June 30, 2009 at 5:41 AM

I like :-)

neither is an insider as of yet…

cmsinaz on June 30, 2009 at 7:39 AM

Rubio?

davidk on June 30, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Rubio is running against Crist in Florida….talks the talk and appears to walk the walk as well from what I’ve seen and heard….it is something to consider, the field is small

cmsinaz on June 30, 2009 at 7:46 AM

First and foremost; anyone but Obama!

Next, let’s get serious about winning. Mitt is too polarizing, and huck fuckabee. If things get ugly, how about Cheney (either one or both). I like Palin and Jindal, but I’m most interested in who can unseat the Acorn King and undo his damage. At this point, I’d vote for Jake Tapper’s liberal butt. He’s honest and willing to look at issues with impartiality.

Laura in Maryland on June 30, 2009 at 7:49 AM

I can’t get my head around this idea of not voting for Romney if he were up against Obarfy.

Un-f*cking believable

blatantblue on June 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM

I agree…I see this as the attitude of those who worship “religion”…

ladyingray on June 30, 2009 at 7:58 AM

I belive your assessment is without merit.

davidk on June 30, 2009 at 7:29 AM

You don’t think winning back Congress and thwarting the filthy liar in 2010 is more important at this point than debating who will be the nominee in 2012 (assuming Obama allows elections by that point)?

I believe my assessment is spot on.

As to the nominee in 2012, I still don’t see it as being Palin but so much of that choice will come down to what the priorities are by that time. If the economy had imploded a little bit sooner, Romney could well have been the nominee instead of the cranky bastard who all but handed the Democrats a win and the nation a devistating loss.

highhopes on June 30, 2009 at 8:02 AM

The Romney posts from Alluh are frankly silly. He’s 20 points behind Palin in the latest Pew poll of Republicans not just conservatives. So he’ll have to improve enough to get off the bench before he can actually play in the game. Right now he’s no better than Chris Dodd running on the Democratic side. But hey, his family and Alluh are excited!

jmell7 on June 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Federalism anyone?

Sapwolf on June 30, 2009

Sounds pretty good to me. I’m not quite ready to believe that the system is so corrupt that it is FUBARed. Entrenched insiders are corrupted by their own greed and lust for power, regardless of their party and they game the system to keep their power.
I have vacillated on the concept of term limits over the years, but I now believe it may be the only tool left in the bag to defeat the “ruling class”. A lazy, ignorant and complacent electorate sure doesn’t seem to be doing it’s job. At least term limits would add fresh meat to a stagnant stew. That alone could jump-start the electorate back to involvement and perhaps they wouldn’t feel so powerless.

SKYFOX on June 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Obama sucked in his debates…
AUINSC on June 30, 2009 at 1:24 AM

But she wont have the media on her side. I am not encouraged.

csdeven on June 30, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Palin/Romney = My prediction.

Romney is smart and capable in all the right ways, but after 4 years of communism in DC, we’re going to need someone who has that extra Presidential feature:

Balls.

bluelightbrigade on June 30, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Oh great, the Mitt Romney Robot version 3.8 is ready to run.

7 more years of hopenchange anyone?

EMR on June 30, 2009 at 8:32 AM

I almost have to laugh at some of these posters! America is drowning in a sea of Obama socialism and it’s like you’re arguing over what color life boat you want thrown to you!

Romney, Palin, Jindal!! WHO CARES?? Just get Barry out of the White House!

anniekc on June 30, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Could somebody please enlighten me as to why Palin has such supporters? She has a great personality and is part of the social/fiscal conservative crowd that the McCain wing of the party wants to throw out but I just don’t get what she brings to the table for 2012 that makes so many people rabid supporters.

I want specifics not generalities because I see a woman who isn’t ready to be President any more than the fithy liar we have in office. I don’t want the promise that she will surround herself with smart people to take up the slack in areas of national policy where she is weak because that is how Obama ended up with Joe Biden and we all know how that turned out.

Why not find a candidate who has business experience, public policy experience, not a whole lot of time in Washington DC but enough to have some credibility? I don’t see any of those characteristics in Sarah Palin at this point. Why not keep the door open for the 2012 nominee and spend the next 18 months delivering a rabidly conservative Congress to shut the filthy liar’s agenda down completely?

highhopes on June 30, 2009 at 8:38 AM

I wouldn’t say I’m a rabid supporter as I hope she does not run in 2012. But that being said i think most people like her because she actually does what she says. She listens to hear what the problem is. Finds a solution. And steamrolls anyone who gets in the way of that solution.

As far as some kind of Washington experience…where has all this smart, elite, Washington experience gotten us??? I could care less about Washington credibility because for my lifetime they cannot solve the simplest problems.

jmell7 on June 30, 2009 at 8:45 AM

highhopes on June 30, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Basically I agree, although I think Sarah Palin has some tremendous skills that she brings to the table, I don’t see the masses EVER accepting her. I believe that the screaming media will scare off anyone who “might” be on the fence.

I’ll never understand the outragous opposition and fear people have of her. The sour downfall of a society willing to be led by a dishonest media.

anniekc on June 30, 2009 at 8:49 AM

jmell7 on June 30, 2009 at 8:45 AM

On paper, I favor Jindal for 2012. He didn’t do a great job responding to the SOTU speech but I don’t think it was the trainwreck that some have protrayed as either. He’s got the experience as a Governor of one of the states most impacted by cap & trade. He’s been to DC both as a Congressman and a second-tier appointee in the Executive branch. He also has a wonderful family and is bullet proof on the race issue.

Like I’ve posted before, this is all premature prattle since we don’t know what issues are going to resonate in 2012 after three more years of repressive socialism under the Obama junta. It is far more important at this point to get conservative candidates to run for Congress in 2010 and beat back the Dem majority in Congress so that 8 GOP traitors don’t offer up nation-killing legislation like cap & trade is.

highhopes on June 30, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I keep hearing about the masses not accepting her or other people as well. First i don’t believe that for a second. But secondly, how long are we going to let the media pigeon hole our candidates? My belief is that this mess is going to be so bad in 2012 that we could run David Duke and win. You’ll be amazed at where the masses will turn when they’re out of work and the dollar isn’t worth squat!

jmell7 on June 30, 2009 at 8:54 AM

I’m not crazy about Mitt even being from MA. His pushing the “healthcare for all” experiment when he had to know what a nightmare it was going to be handing control over to the bunch of nut case liberals who run this state. It doesn’t really matter now if he regrets it because we are the ones suffering. It makes me question whether or not he is corruptible and has the right stuff to stand up to the Pelosis of the world. He does, however, have the experience and fiscally conservative views to turn this Obama nightmare around as long as he hangs on to his convictions.

That’s the $64 question for me. Does he have the guts.

Sarah, on the other hand, seems to have them and is growing stronger and more experienced every day.

Three years is a long time and those who are sick and tired of Obamanomics and the pain to come might just take a second and more reality based look at her.

Miss Molly on June 30, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Hmmmm… Vanity Fair just released a lengthy hit piece on Palin…. from various Mccain insiders (mostly anonymous)… calling her every name in the book.

I’m a huge supporter of Sarah’s, but this tends to be disheartening…. they trot back out every friggin’ lie from the ’08 campaign….. I suspect these people are most likely Romney supporters looking to kneecap Sarah…. the timing is interesting, considering PAC numbers are set to be released… since there has been no negative “leak” I suspect SarahPAC is going to release phenomenal numbers.

BPD on June 30, 2009 at 9:09 AM

That’s the $64 question for me. Does he have the guts.

Miss Molly on June 30, 2009 at 9:02 AM

But experienced in what? Handling the media? She certainly managed to put Letterman in his place. That isn’t enough.

If Sarah Palin wants to be President she, more than some of her competition, has to be focused and have a clear intelligent message on the relevant issues. If Obama is out there pushing health care reform, she needs to be out there throwing out her views. Not in complete specificity (that would be political suicide) but enough of a substantive opinion that she comes off as something more than the gun-toting PTA mom who got elected Governor she has been labeled in the media.

highhopes on June 30, 2009 at 9:25 AM

BPD on June 30, 2009 at 9:09 AM

And you know this how? I think the source is more likely the one you suggested at the top of your post. McCain’s people who have been relentless in trashing Palin from the minute the campaign was over. They never liked her, never wanted her on the ticket, and resented the fact that she had to be there because McCain was such a lousy option he wasn’t making traction with the GOP voters he took for granted when he went out of his way to woo Democrats with visions of amnesty, cap & trade, and all the other crap that is coming to pass under the corrupt regime infesting the Oval Office.

highhopes on June 30, 2009 at 9:28 AM

highhopes on June 30, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Not to worry. They’re planning to have Todd admit to an affair when she runs again to pick up at least 30% more of the feamale vote out of pity. Either that, or they’ll have a long kiss on stages as the Gores did. Either way it’s a guaranteed 30% woman pity/romance gain.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 9:32 AM

opps..female

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 9:32 AM

highhopes on June 30, 2009 at 9:28 AM

I don’t “know” this. I never said I did. In fact, you QUOTED me saying “I suspect.” Is it true, or not, that much of Mccains campaign staffers were from Romney’s primary campaign team? I believe most of them spilled over to Mccain once he wrapped up the primaries.

BPD on June 30, 2009 at 9:33 AM

BPD on June 30, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Not true as far as my recollection goes. McCain’s staffers tended to be augmented from the failed Rudy Guillani campaign much more so than from Romney’s team. In any case McCain ought to be ashamed of himself for letting all this crap happen without saying anything that would shut this kind of stuff down. I suspect that McCain wants to see Palin go down in flames because he resents he had to put her on the ticket instead of another radical liberal (by GOP standards).

highhopes on June 30, 2009 at 9:56 AM

BPD on June 30, 2009 at 9:09 AM

This is an effort by moderates and RINO’s to diminish Sarah and to prevent her support from growing exponentially as it has done in the past two weeks (her Facebook and Twitter accounts). And of course with SarahPAC numbers to be released in July, they want to draw the narrative away from fundraising dollars and direct it to the credibility of Sarah as a viable candidate in terms of competence, attitude or intelligence.

Isn’t it interesting that many McCain staffers are now buddy-buddy with Romney staffers?

technopeasant on June 30, 2009 at 10:01 AM