Quote of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on June 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

“‘He was tanned, rested and ready,’ said one former campaign aide of his old boss.

For the Romney team, it’s not too much of a stretch to say that the campaign never really ended.

In addition to the full-time employees the former Massachusetts governor has at his Boston-based Free & Strong America PAC, the early primary states and Washington are filled with former staffers and supporters who are in regular contact with one another.

Whenever Romney has a major TV appearance or pens an opinion piece, a PAC staffer, Will Ritter, circulates the news to an e-mail list of the former governor’s extended political family.

The Washington-based alumni have a regular monthly luncheon, are working on another reunion-like event around a 2009 candidate later this year and always make sure their former candidate is briefed on the latest political doings…

“I’m going be a Mitt guy until he tells me he’s not running for president,” said Jim Merrill, who ran Romney’s New Hampshire primary campaign and said he still gets excited e-mails from local activists every time the former governor is on TV.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RomneyCare

Connie on June 30, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Absolutely. I agree 100%. Palin is my first choice. She seems to have a stronger backbone than any male GOPer out there.

ErinF on June 30, 2009 at 12:12 AM

I’m going to bed

Then how the heck did we end up calling each other names?

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Romney had better do a mea culpa on his Massachusetts verson of ‘ObamaCare’…an absurd failure…or he has not chance with my vote.

AUINSC on June 29, 2009 at 11:13 PM

What do you know about his plan other than your knee-jerk carping? What was wrong with the idea of requiring everyone to carry health insurance just like auto insurance is required of anyone who drives. He wanted the private sectors to compete with each other with different plans with different coverage and price, and Massachusetts residents have the right to choose any plan they want to go for. Do you want to pay for freeloaders?

It was the Democratic dominated State House (90% Democrats) and Deval Patrick, who vastly expanded the required coverage of the plans , making the premium more and more expensive. They also expanded the number of people eligible for state provided premium “assistance”. So what started out as a rational concept got totally corrupted.

Romney had three years of budget surplus. Some people complained that he raised user fees. But is it not reasonable to charge people who uses a certain service rather than just charging everyone. Why should single or childless people pay for your kids’ education? Is it unreasonable to say that some portion of the school budget should be met by tuition? I am just giving that as a hypothetical example.

Mitt Romney won as Republican in ultra liberal Massachusetts. It is likely he can pull a lot of independent votes on 2012, should he survived the GOP primaries. Primary voters are often single issue activists who represent a more narrow spectrum of the general voting public. Primary races can also be manipulated by collusion like what happened between McCain and Huckabee.

The accusation of his flip flops is an exaggeration. Can people’s mind not be changed and evolves over time after due deliberations and studying the issues. Ronald Reagan was pro choice in the early part of his political career and he the changed his stand.

I am not quite a Romney-head, but I wish some of you would stop bashing people on our side. Sometime I wonder whether some of the very negative posts are not from trolls posing as conservatives.

bayview on June 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Rasmussen had a poll yesterday saying only 10% of Massachusetts residents believe Romneycare improved health care in Massachusetts.

10%.

At how much of a cost to taxpayers?

And THIS is the guy fiscal conservatives want to be their standard bearer?

That’s downright insane.

DJ Tablesauce on June 30, 2009 at 12:26 AM

I’m not a republican lox…I’m closest to libertarian. That said….I’ll vote for a pub over a donkey without thinking twice. At least they give lip service to independent thinking :).

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 12:14 AM

I have difficulty understanding why libertarians ever vote for liberal democrats, since leftists uniformly promote massive government growth that restricts freedoms at all levels of life, except for a few social issues.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 12:26 AM

John Bolton= Secretary of State. YES!

therightwinger on June 30, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Might be too controversial- Iran would prolly accuse us of interfering in their elections, and NK might ignore UN resolutions and go ahead with their nuke and missile program…

/sarc

cs89 on June 30, 2009 at 12:26 AM

bayview

This is utter and complete b.s.

Check it out.

DJ Tablesauce on June 30, 2009 at 12:27 AM

There is one key reason why Sarah can beat the Messiah: she can cut him open whereas no other Republican can lay a glove on him and she can do it with a smile and WITHOUT ONE OUNCE OF WHITE GUILT.

technopeasant on June 30, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Few women in history have succeeded at leading a powerful country.

She also has a special quality that hints at her place with this very exclusive group of women that enlisted men, officers, and generals would salute.

Key.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 12:27 AM

America deserves Obama.

TheBigOldDog on June 30, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 12:26 AM

ahhhh..but here’s the rub….a TRUE liberal democrat is NOT a leftist. I’m a Jeffersonian. Look up “liberal” and “classical liberal”. :) I haven’t voted for a donkey…ever. I wish I could, but the democrat party has sold out the american ideal.

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 12:29 AM

There are no Atheists in foxholes. Only in blogs.

William Amos on June 29, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Now, that’s funny! :)

ErinF on June 30, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Agreed. There is not one male Republican I would bother to vote for. Sorry, but unless they have a record of cleaning up their state and actively reducing government, I’m not interested. Palin is tough, and I could care less about her children or her humble roots. Those are actually pluses. I love this woman, though, because she fights.

alliebobbitt on June 30, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Then how the heck did we end up calling each other names?

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 12:23 AM

C’mon! Assume the position!

Get on your knees and beg.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 12:30 AM

bayview on June 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Romney probably tried to do the right thing with healthcare. But any politician who placed the hammer of universal healthcare in the hands of a Democratic state govt., then complained when they swung it their way and he got bloodied, isn’t behaving as intelligently as I think Romney really is.

What’s to say he wouldn’t make the same mistake in Washington? Hence the need for the mea culpa.

cs89 on June 30, 2009 at 12:30 AM

America deserves Obama.

TheBigOldDog on June 30, 2009 at 12:28 AM

No, we don’t…only 52% do and many of those don’t really because they were only useful fools.

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 12:30 AM

bayview on June 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Well…maybe ‘not quite’ means 100% in the tank, based on that rebuttal.

I don’t care if you are a Romney-head or not…this is the proto-ObamaCare model. Mitt made it happen and he had better explain this…from the Cato Institute:

Massachusetts has enacted one of the most far-reaching state health insurance reform packages in recent decades. Much attention has been focused on the act’s unprecedented mandate that every resident obtain health insurance coverage. However, the act goes far beyond an individual mandate to radically change the way health insurance is bought and sold in the state. Many observers see Massachusetts’s reforms as a model for the nation, but a closer look provides ample reasons to be skeptical. Among them:

* The individual mandate opens the door to widespread regulation of the health care industry and political interference in personal health care decisions.
* The act’s subsidies are poorly targeted and overly generous.
* The Massachusetts Health Care Connector, which restructures the individual and small business insurance markets, is a form of managed competition that has the potential to severely limit consumer choice.
* The act imposes new burdens on business and creates a host of new government bureaucracies to manage the health care system.

Michael Tanner is director of health and welfare studies at the Cato Institute and coauthor of Healthy Competition: What’s Holding Back Health Care and How to Free It (2005).
More by Michael D. Tanner

Health care needs more consumer control and freer markets, not more government regulation, controls, and subsidies. The Massachusetts reform takes us in the wrong direction.

Now, what do you know about it wise guy?

Here’s a simple question I’ll bet you can’t answer…why didn’t he veto it then?

AUINSC on June 30, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Get on your knees and beg.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 12:30 AM

and how do you know it’s salty????

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Unfortunately, quite a few libertarians do not understand this.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 12:31 AM

America deserves Obama.

TheBigOldDog on June 30, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Yeah but I don’t.

Speakup on June 30, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Liz Cheney for Homeland Security and John Bolton for Sec of State !

William Amos on June 30, 2009 at 12:14 AM

+1, although I’d like to see Liz run for President herself someday, preferably soon.

FloatingRock on June 30, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Unfortunately, quite a few libertarians do not understand this.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 12:31 AM

OK…..I might take back my last post….LOL

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Poptech, Willard needs you.

portlandon on June 30, 2009 at 12:33 AM

I realize she doesn’t have the usual background for the job, but if she ran in ’12 she’d probably be my candidate.

FloatingRock on June 30, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Mittens? For POTUS?

LLLLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sapwolf on June 30, 2009 at 12:35 AM

America deserves Obama.

TheBigOldDog on June 30, 2009 at 12:28 AM

There is a suttle truth to this, but I think She has actually has been betrayed.

She’s not the betrayer.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 12:36 AM

America deserves Obama.

TheBigOldDog on June 30, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Yes. Until January, 2013, unless he’s impeached and removed from office, because he was elected. However, we do not deserve what he his actually doing to our country. So, let’s push back, OK? Hope for change! Yes we can!

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 12:37 AM

There’s a Tax Protest Tea Party near you on July 4th!!!!!

Click here:

History Chaser on June 30, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Suttle

subtle

I should be going to bed.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Anybody remember Mike Dukakis’s lame response to the question about what he’d do about his daughter being raped? It was at one of the debates vs. Bush Sr.

He gave some weak answer about forming a committee or something. Of course he lost.

I finally figured out who Mittens reminds me of: Mike Dukakis

Absolutely NO FIRE IN THE BELLY. Massachusetts Miracle

The most IN-authentic GOP guy out there right now.

Sapwolf on June 30, 2009 at 12:39 AM

bayview on June 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Because people can chose not to drive but they can’t chose not to inhabit their body. Health care aside, it’s like imposing a life-tax. A tax simply for being alive. Seatbelt, life preserver, helmet and trans fat laws, etc, all pale in comparison to that. Mitt is a nanny stater.

FloatingRock on June 30, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Well said. My handle is based on this…NEVER GIVE UP! lol. I’m a second amendment guy who lives in cali, so I know what you mean. Our job is to educate people that gov’t is ‘evil’. That there are better ways to solve our problems than looking for some outside power. That ‘people’ are better than ‘politics’. It will be a long slow fight, but we need to do it or the american dream is lost. Really. We’ll just become another eurotrash culture with no real future.

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 12:41 AM

I really wish this Rommny character would leave the scene. He’s pure plastic and has grapes to offer. He would glub down the nector of offerings that spew out of the “democratic” side in an instant. He’s just one of those: a mere whiff of “I declare, I DO look good in a starched shirt and tie” What’s the matter????…just following the buff, tanned, and superficiality, but THESE ARE VOTES and each VOTE is a GEM. Forget about it !!!!THE public, and, how gosh sakes and my own Christian
upbringing, how this just fits in, altogether like.
Exact replica: John Kerry/Romney—knitted out of same ball of yarn.
betsyz on June 30th, 2009 at 12:38 am
R

betsyz on June 30, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Romney/ Palin

Is that not perfect?

Dr B on June 30, 2009 at 12:43 AM

You want Michigan? Nominate Mitt.

Daft Punk on June 29, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Are you out of your friggin mind?

NOBODY wants Michigan.

Kick it to Canada or wall it off and let Snake Plisken patrol it.

Sapwolf on June 30, 2009 at 12:43 AM

bayview on June 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM

The way to tell the difference between two candidates is to define the two differences.
Saying Mitt is not conservative enough is not a “bash”, many actually believe that. Some consider that an asset, others a hindrance.
Saying Palin has a better chance because she is more charismatic, and Mitt is considered dull is a fact many believe.
Still, Mitt is better then any Dem, and better then most Republicans, but not as good as a solid conservative republican.
But that doesn’t mean, because he is Republican, that he can’t be criticized…he is weak in some areas.
Those weaknesses have to be brought out for all candidates, before they are selected, not after.

right2bright on June 30, 2009 at 12:45 AM

cannonball on June 29, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Cut it out with the insults.

Palin/Romney 2012

A two-baller team and we know who has BOTH balls.

Sapwolf on June 30, 2009 at 12:45 AM

I’m a Jeffersonian. Look up “liberal” and “classical liberal”. :).

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 12:29 AM

I think I know what you mean. I hope you can find a way to reach out to social conservatives. There may be ways you can address our concerns about your positions that disturb us, and we can do the same with you. In the end though, at least as far into the future as I can see, the GOP will be dominated by traditional social conservatives.

Were you an adult under Reagan? That’s the sort of conservative led GOP big tent alliance that I hope we can forge.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 12:46 AM

I like Mitt,but what roll will he play,
in SarahCuda’s Army!(Snark).

canopfor on June 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Now that’s the spirit!

Sapwolf on June 30, 2009 at 12:46 AM

bayview on June 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM

However, with my previous post stated, along comes this to make me rethink your post.

Exact replica: John Kerry/Romney—knitted out of same ball of yarn.
betsyz on June 30th, 2009 at 12:38 am

Nobody with any intelligence would post such a foolish statement…nobody is that stupid…so maybe you are right about the trolls.

right2bright on June 30, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Absolutely NO FIRE IN THE BELLY. Massachusetts Miracle

The most IN-authentic GOP guy out there right now.

Sapwolf on June 30, 2009 at 12:39 AM

How dare you Sir!
Master Willard would meet ANYONE for a challenge of Croquet or Squash to end this squabble. Heaven forbid this squabble should come to fisticuffs.

portlandon on June 30, 2009 at 12:49 AM

bayview on June 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM

I wonder the same thing too. But there will always be some Republicans that cannot tolerate other Republicans. Even within a big family, that can happen between relatives.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Can’t we find someone better than these 2008 losers to run in 2012 please? I’m still not convinced that they won’t find a way to kill us with a McCain nomination again. Three years prior to the 2008 disaster, conservatives would have laughed if you said McCain would be their Presidential nominee in 2008. I think ultimately the Democrats will choose our candidate for us again next time. Steele will see to it.

Buddahpundit on June 30, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Yeah, I’m part of the crowd you think only cares about social issues, but most of us (that I know, anyway) are also hawkish, pro-Israel, small gov’t, fiscal conservatives.

jazz_piano on June 29, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I’m there too.

Sapwolf on June 30, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Palin will landslide Obama.

Romney could win.

Landslides are mandates.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 12:52 AM

i think it will and should be sarah and mitt in ’12. the only question is in what order…

i am keeping hope alive!

homesickamerican on June 30, 2009 at 12:52 AM

bayview on June 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM

No. We are just Sarah fans trying to bring you guys down easy like after your girl dumped you.

Sapwolf on June 30, 2009 at 12:52 AM

A two-baller team and we know who has BOTH balls.

Sapwolf on June 30, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Yeah..Todd…there is no way a woman like Sarah would stay with a man who doesn’t. Mrs. Palin is a Woman. I’m not sure how to say this as the complement I intend because so much of our language has been co-opted by the political correct crowd, but a man should be proud that woman with that much guts would chose him.

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 12:54 AM

There’s a Tax Protest Tea Party near you on July 4th!!!!!

Click here:

History Chaser on June 30, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Thanks for posting that link. The Tea Parties can be good for push back against Obama and for team building for 2010. Let’s take back Congress!

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 12:55 AM

the only question is in what order…

homesickamerican on June 30, 2009 at 12:52 AM

The CIC position is all important.

Palin has it.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 12:55 AM

I should be going to bed.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Sleep well.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 12:55 AM

that would make me very happy!

but i would also be happy with sarah at VP for 8 years and then hopefully CIC from ’20-’28…

homesickamerican on June 30, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Sleep well.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Heh.

I will.

Sleeping under the stars in the backyard with the kids tonight!

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Look, Mitt is helpless without his … pizza.

No grassroots, and we have little evidence of the courage needed to dismantle what Obama and the Dems create.

I’d rather have a women in there who can drop a moose and has survived the MSM onslaught and is even stronger.

Sapwolf on June 30, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Well…there are many who debate my current level of maturity :)….but my first presidential vote was for Bush I. Even after Reagan cut off a lot of college grant and loan funding. I’m a ‘tweener’…..my parents were born before ww2, but Iwas late 60′s, and raised by my grandparents.

Reagan forged his tent based on common misery (unfortunately), and kept it going based on the fact that we were growing. the city on the hill. we all wanted to feel good again after carter and the carp of vietnam. It was time.

I strongly suspect that teh one is in the period where we want to feel guilty again. we’ve had success for so long I think that people truly expect some kind of failure. Our jib right now is to minimize the damage of the idiot in chief.

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:01 AM

homesickamerican on June 30, 2009 at 12:58 AM

It’s just that, in the mind of the military, I think they see her as the Alpha, and he as the Beta.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 1:01 AM

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 12:41 AM

This is an extremely important area where social conservatives and libertarians/classical liberals should be able to work together, shoulder to shoulder. I hope.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Sleeping under the stars in the backyard with the kids tonight!

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 12:59 AM

JOIN THE BOY SCOUTS!!!!

Just got back from a week long canoe trip and setting them up for summer camp. Get those kids into the BSA!

Even the girls….the Venture program is phenomenal.

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:03 AM

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 1:02 AM

No problem lox……just respect the first amendment and were all good!

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:04 AM

Cato Institute’s analysis is on the finished product after the Massachusetts state legislature was done modifying it.

The Democrats hold 90% of the 160 seats in the state house in Massachusetts, a Romney veto would be soundly overriden. A symbolic gesture might be good for show, but it would further weaken his position as a governor.

Romney was running for office in Massachusetts, many of his positions were essentially saying he would stick with stare decisis. How many votes do you think Ron Paul will get if he runs in Massachusetts with his policy platform?

bayview on June 30, 2009 at 1:05 AM

right2bright on June 30, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Agreed. Compare and contrast. Test. Promote or criticize. Just don’t drop The Bomb on Pearl Necklace.

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:03 AM

It’s on the planning table.

Start homeschooling this year too. Very excited about that.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 1:06 AM

Buddahpundit:

McCain has already stated he will not run again in 2012. He would be 76 and too old. I believe him.

Buddahpundit, I assume you are a conservative because you are afraid that the MSM will saddle us again with another RINO. I am concerned as well.

But the difference will be, if she runs, Sarah Palin will be out front and center promoting the 3 legged stool as a Reagan conservative. If you want to prevent a RINO from being nominated you must seriously look at Sarah, because if you don’t, you will never be able to say that conservatism wasn’t on the primary ballot in 2012.

technopeasant on June 30, 2009 at 1:06 AM

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 12:50 AM

we need to re-learn the difference between ‘tolerance’ and ‘accpetance’. BIG difference.

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Sleeping under the stars in the backyard with the kids tonight!

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Good for you and them. What a wonderful adventure to share with your children. Good dad!

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 1:07 AM

forgive my three martini spelling…..

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Had Huckabigot been an honopable candidate instead of a Moron hating bigot, Mitt would be president today. But McShanesty won so he could give the greatest consession speech of all time.

Palin is weak. She’s got two years to improve her image and get some serious political chops before she can compete with Mitt.

csdeven on June 30, 2009 at 1:09 AM

After the numerous sabotages of Palin coming from the Romney camp, Mitt can stuff it as far as I’m concerned.

Dark Star on June 30, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Thanks Lox.

They love it.

We actually do it a lot.

My son has known his cardinal directions by looking at the sky since he was 6.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 1:09 AM

That would be Mormon hating bigot.

csdeven on June 30, 2009 at 1:10 AM

That would be Mormon hating bigot.

csdeven on June 30, 2009 at 1:10 AM

LOL.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM

bayview on June 30, 2009 at 1:05 AM

You’re wasting your time. These guys couldn’t hold a rational thought to save their lives.

csdeven on June 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Start homeschooling this year too. Very excited about that.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 1:06 AM

Excellent!

My son started out in catholic school here in cali, but when funds ran short I moved him to GATE. Now he’s in a liberal arts charter school, but also the Boys Scouts so he gets a balance :). We can’t preach to them, but we can give them a good example. Live up to your ideals, and your children follow (i hope :) ). Mine is doing well so far as a patrol leader in his troop!

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Me too. I’m going to be a Mitt gal forever. And he better NOT tell us he isn’t running. We need a strong, brilliant capable Republican more than ever. No one even comes close to his able leadership.

Lori on June 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM

technopeasant on June 30, 2009 at 1:06 AM

Keep on writing TP.

I always appreciate your Palin pieces.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Dark Star on June 30, 2009 at 1:09 AM

And Sarah has never uttered one unkind word about Romney.

technopeasant on June 30, 2009 at 1:14 AM

And tell Dark Star that Romney supporters do NOT engage in that sort of thing. Its probably the Huckabee guys. Palin is bigger threat to him.

Lori on June 30, 2009 at 1:14 AM

Lori on June 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Don’t worry. Mitt isn’t ?thompson?. He isn’t going to drag out a commitment to run just to drop out at the last minute. And then convert all the contributions into his PAC, hiring his unqualified family and pay them exorbitant salaries.

csdeven on June 30, 2009 at 1:16 AM

csdeven on June 30, 2009 at 1:09 AM

actually, Palin is Very strong because she resonates on an emotional level. she’d probably eat Mitt alive based on the outsider image. Mitt got hammered by McCain (yes because he was a media favorite) and Palin should be able to leverage that.

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:16 AM

American Power tracked-back with, “Palin-Romney, 2012?”:

Donald Douglas on June 30, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Mine is doing well so far as a patrol leader in his troop!

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM

That must make a father proud!

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 1:19 AM

bayview on June 30, 2009 at 1:05 AM

What the hell does Ron Paul have to do with anything I was talking about?

I just asked a straight question about Mitt’s ObamaCare plan in Massachusetts…you obviously can’t answer it. Maybe Mitt can do better…but if he doesn’t, I’m not even considering him for the nomination.

AUINSC on June 30, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:16 AM

For hard core conservatives Palin is popular. But in a debate, Mitt would destroy her. And debates are where the media defines a candidate. That definition is what the middle of the road voters pay attention to. And without the middle, no candidate wins.

csdeven on June 30, 2009 at 1:19 AM

I gotta go.

Kids are yelling at me.

Night all!

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 1:19 AM

homesickamerican on June 30, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 1:01 AM

you may be right. but i am thinking more about how voters will see sarah vs. mitt. i think that a lot of people that we need to bring on board may still have reservations about sarah, especially because of all the mud that’s been (and is still being) slung at her. obviously, that’s not what i think about her, but for many people it’s an issue.

having said that, i like both her and mitt, and i will gladly vote for either of them.

homesickamerican on June 30, 2009 at 1:20 AM

OK, so much to comment on here.

First of all, as someone who grew up in Michigan until I graduated from high school in 1973, no one under the age of 60 today even remembers there was a Romney in Michigan. No one under the age of 70 would even think of Mitt Romney as a home state candidate. They moved away after his dad wasn’t governor anymore in the late 60′s. And the only Republicans that can manage to get elected here in this state seem to be the country club republicans. We don’t need those for our national candidate.

So I don’t see Michigan turning even mildly purple for the 2012 election. These dumbasses here re-elected Granholm as governor back in 2006 when this state was participating in its very own deep recession when the rest of the country was in fairly good economic shape. In fact, that year, we even did worse that post Katrina Louisiana in economic statistics. Pathetic.

Secondly, the MAIN reason Ford lost to Carter in 1976 was one reason and one reason only, he pardoned Nixon. While he knew that was going to kill his election chances to get to the White House on his own merits, he did it to avoid a really ugly political trial and get the country moving forward. At the time of this Watergate thing, we were mired in crippling unemployment (I think higher than now) and 10-13% annual inflation rates. Home interest rates were approaching 18%. Ford wanted to get the country to focus on the economy and the wind down of the VietNam war. Our country was still deeply divided from this war. The war had dragged on for 10 years at the time Ford assumed the Presidency when Nixon stepped down. Just some history perspective here for the under 50 crowd.

The biggest thing that got Carter trounced in 1980 was his inept foreign policy. Our country will not stand for us to be ridiculed by a 3rd rate country, and Carter put us in that position in Iran by hiding under his desk when they stormed our embassy and began that hostage situation.

Obambi is doing a bang up job to not only get our economy in a mess deeper than Carter found it and made it worse, but by siding with Chavez and Castro about this Honduras thing, doing these world apology tours, and just being a dumbass, is going to go far to make him very vulnerable in 2012.

However we need a candidate not afraid to slice and dice with articulation and humor. Palin all the way. She fits the bill.

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:20 AM

That must make a father proud!

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 1:19 AM

yes and no…..I want him to do well on his own :).

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:21 AM

csdeven on June 30, 2009 at 1:19 AM

One time, then off to bed.

I understand what you are trying to say, but the type of debate that would be taking place in a primary is the very place where Romney might find himself getting his ass kicked by the clickity clackity high heeled titan.

Just sayin’.

Good night.

Saltysam on June 30, 2009 at 1:23 AM

csdeven on June 30, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Are you sure? Obama sucked in his debates…he even lost to McCain…he stuttered and stammered and sweated the entire way through…made Nixon look good.

AUINSC on June 30, 2009 at 1:24 AM

csdeven on June 30, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Social conservatives…maybe….

Romney may or may not hold his own in a debate. Mrs Palin is a smart woman, and a seems to be a limited government candidate. Probably wouldn’t carry with inner-city detroit, but definitely wins with me. Yes, I’ve been to 8 mile and Gratiot.

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:27 AM

homesickamerican on June 30, 2009 at 1:20 AM

No matter who the Republican candidate is, I’ll probably grumble more or less about something they’ve said or done, and worry more or less about something they might do. But, of all the potential candidates I’ve seen mentioned as potential winners, I’d vote for any of them over Obama.

Also, if you don’t mind, would you explain your moniker?

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Also, if you don’t mind, would you explain your moniker?

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 1:30 AM

and will you? :)

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:31 AM

1. Governor Palin is tainted, many independents think she is a f*cking idiot, and she is disliked among non-conservative women.

2. Governor Pawlenty is as exciting as reading a dictionary.

3. Governor Daniels would be excellent, but has zer0 name recognition, except among political junkies.

4. Governor Barbour comes across as a ‘Good ‘Ol Boy’, and former President Bush may have tainted Southern politicians for at least another election cycle.

5. former Governor Romney is the only chance the GOP has as he can torch President Obama with details, and still comes across as affable. By the way, Americans WANT health care to change, and if the GOP wants to stand on the sidelines, and simply be the party of ‘no’, they will lose their ass until 2016, and maybe beyond. ‘No’ is not an agenda. He came up with a health care plan, and actually has a domestic agenda, which is refreshing with a Republican.

sDs61678 on June 30, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Fighton03, if you know about 8 mile, you know about the wasteland south of 8 mile Road (the county line for Wayne County, right?) For those of you know familiar with Michigan, Detroit makes up much of Wayne County.

When I was a kid (I am at least 15 years older than you based on when I voted for my first President), there were around 3 million people, I think in Detroit itself. That city now has less than a million people who live there.

When I was a kid, I think we had over 16 electoral votes, maybe even 18. This economy here has sucked so bad for at least 3 decades, that Michigan is down to 10 electoral votes, I think and is in line to lose at least 1 more in 2012.

This state has had an emigration of people in the past 3 decades. I was one of them. My engineering degree was in manufacturing. Even 3 decades ago when I graduated, there were no jobs here. There are not that many families who can keep there kids in this state once they graduate from college. It is very hard for those who don’t go to college to find jobs that will support a family.

I don’t think we need to worry about the voters of Detroit. No one is left. However, I am sure that Acorn will fill up the ballot boxes to reflect the 3 million people who used to live there 3 decades ago :)

Oh wait, I probably shouldn’t even joke about that, it might end up happening with Obambi running the census, AND Congress giving acorn billions of tax dollars to cheat everywhere.

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 1:30 AM

haha. when i registered with HA and created this username (and my now-defunct eponymous blog), i was still living abroad and had been for 11 years. i was really feeling homesick (finally) and wanted to come back home.

it was appropriate at the time, although now that i am back stateside i find myself sometimes wanting to “re-brand” myself. perhaps i will next time there is open registration here at HA… ;-)

homesickamerican on June 30, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Also, if you don’t mind, would you explain your moniker?

Loxodonta on June 30, 2009 at 1:30 AM

and will you? :)

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:31 AM

yeah, i’ve been wondering about his too!

homesickamerican on June 30, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Read the poll over at Rasmussen Reports. Mitt’s signature move as governor, RomneyCare, has absolutely flopped.

spaz on June 30, 2009 at 1:36 AM

sDs is a pail troll, those are all talking points from the White House. The last paragraph gives it away.

Party of “no”. HELL YES we want to be the party of NO. We don’t want this crap that Obambi/Pelosi/Reid is shoveling down our throats.

Go back to KOS. We don’t need the libs telling us about our candidates. We will figure it out on our own.

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Typing too late, I thought I typed that sDs is a PAID TROLL.

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:38 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:38 AM

i was getting ready to google bing “pail troll”. LOL!

homesickamerican on June 30, 2009 at 1:39 AM

As long as we don’t let the liberal media pick our next nominee like we did with McCain. I’m good.

GoodBoy on June 30, 2009 at 1:40 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 30, 2009 at 1:34 AM

I share your pain. I lived in ferndale in 1972. I’ve been to detroit about three times since. My stepdad (father) was born and raised in dearborn(through 1972). The last time I was there was in 1984 to see my grandfather (step :)) I know about the wasteland. when the movie 8mile came out I could believe someone would write a movie about that hell hole. My grandfather lived at 8 and gratiot…and died there. If you’re still up there you have my sympathy!

Fighton03 on June 30, 2009 at 1:41 AM