Quote of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on June 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

“‘He was tanned, rested and ready,’ said one former campaign aide of his old boss.

For the Romney team, it’s not too much of a stretch to say that the campaign never really ended.

In addition to the full-time employees the former Massachusetts governor has at his Boston-based Free & Strong America PAC, the early primary states and Washington are filled with former staffers and supporters who are in regular contact with one another.

Whenever Romney has a major TV appearance or pens an opinion piece, a PAC staffer, Will Ritter, circulates the news to an e-mail list of the former governor’s extended political family.

The Washington-based alumni have a regular monthly luncheon, are working on another reunion-like event around a 2009 candidate later this year and always make sure their former candidate is briefed on the latest political doings…

“I’m going be a Mitt guy until he tells me he’s not running for president,” said Jim Merrill, who ran Romney’s New Hampshire primary campaign and said he still gets excited e-mails from local activists every time the former governor is on TV.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Is it true, or not, that much of Mccains campaign staffers were from Romney’s primary campaign team? I believe most of them spilled over to Mccain once he wrapped up the primaries.

BPD on June 30, 2009 at 9:33 AM

When someone loses, their is disharmony, when they win every thing is “rosy”.
If you go digging for dirt, you will find some…each campaign had good things to say, and bad things to say…you pick and choose depending on what you feel…you feel Romney was dissing Palin, so that is what you look for.
No doubt Romney feels she is a threat, and considers her his stiffest competition, and I am sure his people were disappointed about him losing to her, but I doubt they were running around trying to destroy her…disgruntled? Well they did lose.

right2bright on June 30, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Isn’t it interesting that many McCain staffers are now buddy-buddy with Romney staffers?

technopeasant on June 30, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Sorry, I missed that list…do you have that list?

right2bright on June 30, 2009 at 10:08 AM

The American people had trouble remembering Carter (see “Presidential Election, 2008″). Do you think they’ve even heard of Nixon?

Jim Treacher on June 30, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Has Romney had any new epiphanies on the issues? Or were all his epiphanies in the time shortly before his first run for POTUS?

tommylotto on June 30, 2009 at 10:38 AM

This conservative will cast (again) my vote for Romney!

Repubtallygirl on June 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Who gives a damn about Mr. Hairspray?

rlwo2008 on June 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 6:40 AM

We do. It’s called Diebold. /s

Lanceman on June 30, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Smart. Talented. Experienced. Polished. Highly competent. And probably unelectable.

whitetop on June 30, 2009 at 11:29 AM

I’m going to vote for the Republican that gets some fire in their belly and WANTS to win. My country can’t survive a 2-term thug named Obama.

Metanis on June 30, 2009 at 11:29 AM

whitetop on June 30, 2009 at 11:29 AM

He is all of that. I agree that he probably won’t connect with the people. He was my guy in the primaries last year, but he quit before my state ever got a chance to vote. I never understood why he quit if he wanted to be president. I guess he could see the tsunami coming. Best get out of the way. However, we are in such dire circumstances right this red hot minute that anyone that wants to save our country has already been out there saying so and doing things. It hasn’t been Romney.

BetseyRoss on June 30, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Tanned, rested, ready… can he explain his own taxes yet? The man had a problem understanding off-shore holdings and that they were not taxable by a State and held many of the same… plus his health care plan was and is a loser. That is even before you can get to the Huawei stuff that his companies have been involved with that he still holds but no longer operates…

If he can’t explain venture capital taxes while *being* a venture capitalist, well, I really don’t want someone who leaves it up to their accountant elected. Bad enough we have that in the Federal Reserve. And I’ve never heard him say a thing about rolling back the federal government… I will no longer vote for anyone wanting to maintain this overburdened beast of many tentacles.

ajacksonian on June 30, 2009 at 11:42 AM

A few thoughts:

1. I would love to see a Mitt/Newt ticket… I am surprised that idea hasn’t been floated around.

2. If Mitt wants to win he needs to take a lesson from the Cuda playbook… Get tough! Attack! Be a conservative!!! That’s really all he has to do to win. I really hope he gets it. My gut feeling says he won’t.

3. I am so tired of some of the lame talking points of how Palin killed Mccain. Palin is the one who draws tens of thousands…not Mccain. Sorry John, nobody cared about you. Again, Mitt… pay attention to why people loved Sarah.

4. I wouldn’t want to see a Palin/Romney ticket… it just doesn’t sound right for some reason…they just don’t mesh well.

5. Conservatives really need to push hard again on some of the slogans like “Drill Here! Drill Now!” The liberal media HATED that! Which made it great.. just like they HATED the tea party. In 2012 we need to push again so America can hear this dialogue being spoken…

6. Romney will have to again address his Mormon faith. The media will make it an issue again for sure… and it will be worse than before. So get ready Mormons, cus the Evangelicals love hearing the State Run media push their Anti-Mormon drivel for them for free.

7. I have to address the Mormon issue one more time.

When I was in high school in California I moved to Mckinney, Texas my senior year. I was the only Mormon senior in my graduating class.. and you wouldn’t believe the anti-mormon baloney I heard from classmates… and teachers! Baptists and Methodists had anti-Mormon classes taught on a regular basis.

10 years later I am happy to say that Mckinney is now overpopulated with Mormons…It’s a stark contrast to what I went through. But you can believe that the Methodist church down the road is still spewing their once a week anti-Mormon hate classes.

That’s all! Cheers!

p.s. anyone that compares Scientology to Mormonism is either ignorant or retarded…

johnnyboy on June 30, 2009 at 12:04 PM

One more thought:

Where are all the 2012 hopefuls hiding? Get out on the tv at least ONCE A MONTH!

We live in the digital information age… that means we want to hear what you have to say!!

Obama Hussein learned this… Reagan knew it too.

johnnyboy on June 30, 2009 at 12:08 PM

That’s all! Cheers!

johnnyboy on June 30, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Mormonism sounds great. You can become a God, make spirit babies, and believe a guy found some golden plates with writing that only he could translate, then lose them and start a religion.

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Yup!

Pretty sweet! huh?

johnnyboy on June 30, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Jeff from WI on June 30, 2009 at 12:30 PM

…and Mormons wonder why they struggle to be taken seriously and become “main stream”. I personnaly have big issues with Mormonism, but I’m changing my tune on Mitt. Even though he’s an “ends justify the means” Mormon, he’s probably a helluva lot better than Dear Leader The One.

Wyznowski on June 30, 2009 at 12:40 PM

RINO beltway hack. In related news, MittCare (also known as ObamaCare) is an epic fail.

I’ll vote for Nader over that chucklehead.

Rae on June 30, 2009 at 12:55 PM

@ Wysnowski

Truthfully, we really don’t “struggle” with it at all.. in fact, most of us don’t care at all about being mainstream.. cus trying to be mainstream is pretty lame. I think Mccain taught us all that lesson.

I have just a big a problem with “mainstream” christianity as you do with “mormonism”. By “Mormon” belief, you’re religion is blasphemous in the sight of God, and by “mainstream christian” belief, I am a member of a cult.

So, it just end up being one big circle of arguments that gets old everytime it’s trotted out here on Hot Air comment threads.

I have a HUGE problem with Obama’s lack of any real belief in anything.. but that’s not why I voted against him.. I voted against him cus he’s a true liberal and has proven it over and over again.

If Huckabee wasn’t such a douche, and was actually a REAL conservative, I would have voted for him. But I could care less about his Southern bible belt Christian beliefs.

Anyhoo, don’t worry about Mormons being mainstream.. we won’t be. At least I hope we won’t.

johnnyboy on June 30, 2009 at 1:20 PM

johnnyboy on June 30, 2009 at 12:04 PM

With all due respect, you’re expecting Mitt to be Sarah. Ain’t happenin’, ever.

ddrintn on June 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Meh.

The guy who could not beat John McCain in Republican primaries. Sounds like a force to be nonplussed about.

Right_of_Attila on June 29, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Hucka-bigot is jumping at the chance to knee-cap Romney again.

PrezHussein on June 29, 2009 at 10:55 PM

“Right_of_Attila_” — “PrezHussein” has a point that I was thinking. If Hucka-bigot hadn’t helped McCain knee-cap Romney, Romney would’ve had a much better chance. If it were just Romney vs. McCain, I suspect Romney would have been the winner.

I am a conservative ELCA Lutheran pastor — yes we do exist, believe it or not. Someone has to leaven the lump.

The whole anti-Mormon thing for a presidential candidate frustrates me, though. We’re voting for president, not pope, or bishop or other head of the church. I’d rather have a conservative Mormon as president who is on the right side of the jobs and taxes issue, who moved to the right side on the Life issue, than a guy whose last church membership was to a church led by a marxist liberation theologian who happens to also be black (and be best buddies with Louis Farrakhan) and who is on the wrong side of every conservative Christian issue.

John McCain was proof positive that we’d be lucky to get an ideal candidate like Reagan again, so we have to go with what we get. If we wind up getting Romney, I’d be a lot less upset than if we get Huck. I wonder about Palin and Newt. I love Palin — I voted for Palin, not the top of the ticket. I cannot remember exactly what slimy lie McCain told at the last debate w/Romney, but that left a bad taste in my mouth, because I was a Romney guy b4 he dropped out. Choosing Palin redeemed McCain a little bit for me. I think Palin is still young and could use Romney as a mentor. I suspect that, after voting in the 47-yr-old community organizer, independents may be hesitant to vote for anybody under 50. My heart leans Palin, my brain and my heart says Palin should be a V.P. if she even runs in 2012. Romney is a bit more articulate, and has economic creds. Palin has energy creds, but the elites have hammered her a lot. I know it is not fair, and not right, but life is often unfair and unjust. There are times that Newt seems to waffle more than Romney ever has.

Who knows? Between now and 2012, maybe someone else will emerge. I do remember that Romney, when he pulled out of the primaries for the sake of Republican unity was intentional about emulating Reagan’s bowing out in the 1976 primary in that move. Some might think that makes Romney a “poser,” but I think it was a humble and shrewd move.

kscheuller on June 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM

kscheuller on June 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM

The elites (including those on the left) hammer the one they perceive to be the biggest threat. There’s no question at all just which one that might be.

ddrintn on June 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM