CBO: Previous director had it all wrong

posted at 2:15 pm on June 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama hopes to push a massively expensive health-care reform proposal through Congress by claiming that the fiscal problems of federal entitlements spring from huge increases in health-care spending.  In that effort, his budget director Peter Orszag has supported him, especially with identical claims from his tenure at the Congressional Budget Office.  Now, however, the CBO has reversed itself and says that the problem isn’t health-care cost increases, but instead the aging and non-renewing population:

Today, CBO released its Long-Term Budget Outlook, projecting deficits will hit 7.5% of GDP by 2020, almost 15% by 2035, and well over 40% by the end of the 75-year budget window if we continue current policies. Driving these deficits is the rapid growth of Medicare, Medicaid, and to a lesser extent Social Security, along with the subsequent interest payments that result from high levels of debt sustained through continued borrowing.

A debate exists among experts, though, over the source of growth over these programs. OMB Director (and former CBO Director) Peter Orszag has been among those arguing that health care cost growth is the primary driver of projected entitlement costs, and that experts there has been an overemphasis on population aging. …

In its newest release, CBO allocates the interaction effect between the two effects, and finds that population aging contributes to closer to 30% of the growth in Medicare and Medicaid. When they look at a less distant year, 2035, they find population aging accounts for about 44% of the growth. … And all of this excludes the role of Social Security. Adding this program to the mix, population aging is responsible for around 44% of entitlement growth in 2080, and 64% in 2035.

What exactly does this mean?  The problem for the pending entitlement disaster is not excessive growth in health-care costs but instead the result of adding more and more people into the entitlements with fewer and fewer workers supporting the system.  That should be a patently obvious conclusion as Americans age more as a population, but Obama and Orszag kept pretending that the demographics had little to do with it.

Now, if the CBO is right, the solution proposed by Obama will make the problem exponentially worse.  As the CBO notes, the proper response to runaway entitlement growth under this scenario would be to reduce eligibility, either by outright denial, means testing, or tightening of requisites such as moving retirement to a later age.  Creating a massive new entitlement program in ObamaCare would be akin to pouring gasoline on a fire, even if one accepts the premise that government can control costs better than the private market without rationing care, where Medicare and the VA have already proven to be failures.

It seems apparent that Orszag has been tweaking the numbers and analysis for his own political biases, and Obama was happy to select him for that purpose.  Now that he’s left the CBO, though, the manipulation is much more readily apparent.

Update: Read Bruce Kesler’s post on other aspects of ObamaCare arguments collapsing.

Comments

To the Memory Hole with that!

Militant Bibliophile on June 29, 2009 at 2:19 PM

In the interest of Utopia. For the betterment of mankind. If you care about the Workers … about your Comrades – kill yourselves when you reach 50.

At and after 50, you cannot serve the Motherland. This is your duty.

The requirements of cost/benefit analysis demand that you accept the numbers – that you realize that you are far more beneficial to Utopia – if you simply get out of the way.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I wonder what the next excuse will be when Barry figures out this excuse doesn’t help him either.

Geronimo on June 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Not to worry, Obama care will fix it all. There simply won’t be an aging population; if you get sick after 55 we’re going to let you die, you are not worth spending precious healthcare dollars on. See, problem fixed thanks to Obamacare.

johnsteele on June 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I’m sorry, there must be some kind of mistake. Liberals would never lie to further their agenda. They’re better than us. I refuse to believe this malarky.

skree on June 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Are you:
-Caucasian
-Non union
-Christian
-Conservative
-Gun owner
-Patriotic
-Veteran
-Voted for other than the demorat party in any election

I’m sorry, your claims have been denied, please go home and die, have a nice day.

Bishop on June 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Obama lied……the economy died!

grapeknutz on June 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Are you:
-Caucasian
-Non union
-Christian
-Conservative
-Gun owner
-Patriotic
-Veteran
-Voted for other than the demorat party in any election

Bishop on June 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM

That nails it.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM

But, but, I don’t think this is how AnninCA’s Kaiser plan works and she said that ObamaCare would be pretty similar to her plan…

myrenovations on June 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM

At and after 50, you cannot serve the Motherland. This is your duty.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 2:20 PM

SO that is what happened to Michael Jackson and Billy Mays…
Both were 50 years old….I am 50….Hmmmmmm

izoneguy on June 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Are you:
-Caucasian
-Non union
-Christian
-Conservative
-Gun owner
-Patriotic
-Veteran
-Voted for other than the demorat party in any election

With the exception of veteran, I’m every one of those. I am so screwed!

jennifernaz on June 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM

izoneguy on June 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I’m 50, too.

:O(

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Liberal trolls say: I want my binky!

lorien1973 on June 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Duh.

aero on June 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Obama Lied, Hope Died

faraway on June 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

izoneguy on June 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Me too. Just remember, all you youngsters: Soylent Green is people!

kingsjester on June 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

All that’s missing is: Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Republican party?

That will be on the ACORN census coming up.

Mojave Mark on June 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Are you:
-Caucasian
-Non union
-Christian
-Conservative
-Gun owner
-Patriotic
-Veteran
-Voted for other than the demorat party in any election

Bishop on June 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Wow….I vote for this as post of the day!!!

search4truth on June 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Bishop on June 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM

You forgot one…

strong female.

Now you are good.

upinak on June 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

more smoke and mirrors, just oboobi try’in to spread some honey over that sh*t sandwich that he’s feeding all the arse wipes at ABC and congress and of course the left. i have no doubt that anninca will have a bite and ask for more… god help us.

SHARPTOOTH on June 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

i’ll be 50 in 2 weeks. should i get my affairs in order? write my epitaph? finally tell off those people that get on my nerves? say goodbye to my cat?

kelley in virginia on June 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

If the numbers don’t add up, just shop for a new mathematician. Sooner or later you’ll find one whose numbers match your fantasies.

The country’s in the very best of hands.

cruadin on June 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I wonder how the AARP stands on this? How do the members of AARP feel? I will not join that group, I don’t want my money going to libs. If the ‘older of us’ get some information on what is store for them, they would go gonkers!
L

letget on June 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM

kelley in virginia on June 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Do your duty. Your cat will immediately be transferred to a more beneficial Comrade. Your cat will understand.

Do your duty, for the Soviet. Do it for Utopia. Do it for Your Leader.

Goodbye, Comrade. We will remember your sacrifice, at the next May Day parade.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I was glancing this report. It makes an assumption that unemployment will average 4.8%. Ummmmm…riiiiiight!

WashJeff on June 29, 2009 at 2:30 PM

It is right.

Ponzi schemes don’t work. Why is it difficult to understand?

lorien1973 on June 29, 2009 at 2:30 PM

At and after 50, you cannot serve the Motherland. This is your duty.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Oh please tell me Barry is 50 then…..

Spiritk9 on June 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

kelley in virginia on June 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Well, I won’t, I am 50.

Goodbye, Comrades.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

You know where this ultimately ends up?

Logan’s Run.

Carousel! RENEWAL! (zap)

tsj017 on June 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

In the simplest of terms, let’s talk about ROI or “return on investment”. Any business person worth their salt will always ask, “what’s in it for me… what’s can I expect as a return on my investment”? Nobody is axing this question!

One simple question for Chicago Jesus is: “Chicago Jesus, What is the Return on our investment if we buy into this healthcare shenannigan bullsh*t you are pushing through this week”?

The same should apply to Gorebal Warming. “Chicago Jesus, what is our Return on Investment if we buy into your Gorebal Warming Cap and Trade Shennanigans”…

,…. and so on , and so on and so on, until the average Joe stands up and realizes there is no return on investment. These schemes are wealth and power grabs by Chicago Jesus, Chicago Thugs, Union Bosses and Corruptucrats.

Wake the hell up, peeps.

Key West Reader on June 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM

i’ll be 50 in 2 weeks. should i get my affairs in order?
kelley in virginia on June 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Try to do a better job than Sanford.

WashJeff on June 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Oh please tell me Barry is 50 then…..

Spiritk9 on June 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Comrade, Your Leader will not have to sacrifice in this manner. His sacrifice is being forced to require our sacrifices.

He loves you. He loves me. He is Our Leader.
Obey. He will remember you and me.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Can’t go…getting hitched the 11th. If I’m not there, start without me.

kingsjester on June 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM

As someone who depends upon the VA system for health care, I will say that, IMHO, the largest driver of costs is the layers upon layers of regulations that Congress has mandated to the VA, under the auspices of protecting the public’s investment.

All of the doctors and nursing staff, the medical care I have received, have been first-rate. I feel I have been treated better there, and much more professionally and compassionately, than at any civilian hospital.

Having said that, the bureaucracy is staggering. Layers upon layers of redundancy. Patients having two appointments hours apart at different floors on the same day, just to sign a form, or to hand-carry test results from one clinic to another.

The repetition of work is also staggering. Having to repeat the same information, by hand-writing, on separate forms at separate clinics, even though the information is available in the VA data base and patient files.

One of the most difficult things, however, is that, in the name of cost-savings, the Clinton administration moved a great deal of money and services to VA hospitals based upon patient density numbers. In other words, follow the patients.

What that did, for example, was establish TWO VA hospitals in Boston, while leaving one, with reduced services, to serve the entire state of Maine. Patients in Maine who require orthopedic, cardio-vascular, or eye surgery, have to travel to Boston to be seen. they have to travel there for diagnoses, pre-op, operative and post-operative and follow-up appointments, each requiring an average of 3+ hours travel each way.

Those veterans from Maine who require hospitalization for these ailments (and many others) are also sent to Boston, hours away from their families and friends.

As I said earlier, the VA system, in my opinion and experience, has excellent doctors and medical staff. Where it fails is in the support and administration areas, and between union-mandated wages and benefits, congressionally-mandated safeguards and systems, the paper-work side has exploded into something more familiar to the times of Dickens in it’s labyrinthian structure than what should be an efficient and cost-effective model.

In other words, it’s a good look at what folks can expect the “best” version of Obamacare to look like. Long lines, difficulty obtaining appointments, long waits between appointments and treatment, and the relocation of major services to central locations, medical factories, if you will.

respects,

AW1 Tim on June 29, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I met a doctor from the UK on my vacation thru Europe and spoke with him at great length. The Brit’s are laughing their arses off at us for going down this road.

His answer was simple……Tort reform.

Knucklehead on June 29, 2009 at 2:35 PM

You know where this ultimately ends up?

Logan’s Run.

I was just thinking if you’re over 50, you become soylent green.

Tazz 55 on June 29, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Can’t go…getting hitched the 11th. If I’m not there, start without me.

kingsjester on June 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Marriage at or after 50 is Anti-Obama Agitation! You will be dealt with under Article 58, of the Worker’s Code of Utopian Penalties.

[Seriously - well, more seriously, congrats on the marriage]

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 2:36 PM

respects,

AW1 Tim on June 29, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Yup. Like a OB/GYN or a Prostate exam at your local DMV… courtesy of Big Bertha Wif Da Golden Toofesses. She gone be real nice to ya don’tcha know it.

Key West Reader on June 29, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Keith Hennessey had a post on this last week. He agrees the aging population is a larger part of the problem but disagrees with Orszag’s sudden emphasis on that while avoiding the rising health care costs. Both factors need to be addressed:

Director Orszag is correct that rising per-capita health spending is a key driver of our long-term fiscal problems. But he overstates his case by ignoring the other driver of federal spending growth, demographics. We need to address both. We need health care reform that will slow the growth of per capita health spending. And we need to change the promises made under Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid to adjust for a rapidly aging U.S. population.

Would anyone put it past Obama to use threats of cutting off seniors to change public opinion on more spending. He’s up to something by emphasizing this portion over spending all of a sudden, that would be my guess.

msmveritas on June 29, 2009 at 2:36 PM

You know where this ultimately ends up?

Logan’s Run.

Just what I wuz thinkin’

bullheadbob on June 29, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Higher birth rates are a healthy way to grow an economy. When we have an aging population, there are no up coming generations to support them. We need o stop he move o reire at 65. If we don’t increase birth rates, the Muslims want to come over here and add millions.

seven on June 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM

It’s amazing to me the things Obama expects us to believe.

Alana on June 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM

His answer was simple……Tort reform.

Knucklehead on June 29, 2009 at 2:35 PM

What these sh*tferbrains people don’t seem to get, is that if we go to socialized medicine tort reform will be automatically in place. You can’t sue the government without its permission under sovereign immunity, and if you do, your damages are going to be capped at $100k. Per occurrence. I’m surprised the plaintiff’s bar isn’t crapping in their golf bags over this universal health care nonsense.

Key West Reader on June 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Wasn’t Orszag in “The Revenge of the Nerds”?

TexasJew on June 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Something tells me the new director may be reported as being disoriented, and needing to retire.

Vashta.Nerada on June 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM

It’s amazing to me the things Obama expects us to believe.

Alana on June 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM

This isn’t directed at us. Our Leader knows that we know he’s a liar and a Socialist.

All of this is directed at the cattle who voted for him.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Thanks. I’m in the Insurance business. Japan has government-run healthcare and Supplemental Insurance (Aflac) is bigger there than in America. I’m optimistic, though. I’m thinking the Senate will not pass Cap and Trade and Obamacare will go the same route. Hopefully, people are starting to wake up.

kingsjester on June 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Building health care coverage on the same blueprint as Social Security sounds like a winning formula to me./

Cindy Munford on June 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM

His answer was simple……Tort reform.

Knucklehead on June 29, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Heh, I agree…we need LESS lawyers in government.

Lawyers hate slitting their own throats….
They would rather slit the throats of the peasants…

izoneguy on June 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I don’t get health insurance through an employer and can’t afford to buy it on my own. I am ok with this. I pay my way when I need to. I don’t run to the doctor with every little hangnail like I see people with five dollar “co-pays” do.

My point is this: back in the stone age when my husband and I were poor college students, we could afford regular doctor checkups and regular dental checkups. We also had health insurance that covered ‘catastrophes.’ Try to find that kind of health insurance now. It is not available. You have to pay for all those hang nail visits your neighbor is making.

My point is I have seen medical and dental costs skyrocket in the years since “cover everything” insurance arrived on the scene. The docs charge you what the insurance pays and then they tack a few hundred onto that.

Not drawing any conclusions here… just saying…

winfield on June 29, 2009 at 2:42 PM

We could have renewed the population by about 45 million, but for Roe v. Wade.

Wethal on June 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Not drawing any conclusions here… just saying…

winfield on June 29, 2009 at 2:42 PM

I respectfully disagree. One of my dearest friends worked for years as an emergency room nurse. She would tell these horrible stories of regular folks walking in bloody and broken and sitting in the waiting room. The entitlement class (read: welfare and medicaid recipients) came in via ambulance with stuffy noses and hang nails. Used to piss her off to no end. It wasn’t until heart patients began dying in waiting rooms that even the “entitlement class” got to go sit in the waiting room with the paying peasants when they needed emergent care because their period was late.

Key West Reader on June 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM

letget on June 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM

My wife signed me up, for the benefits, to my horror. I’m decades away from any retirement, and hate those bastards like the plague.
I tell her it’s like us joining the Nazi Party, especially since we have a young daughter who will be, like all kids her age, crushed by the policies that the AARP loves so much.
A bunch of smug old parasitic selfish farts, as far as I’m concerned. They sent me a form, asking me what I would like to see as a policy goal for the AARP, and I put down “euthanize all old Liberals”.

TexasJew on June 29, 2009 at 2:47 PM

kelley in virginia on June 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

You are a fine candidate for the Soylent facto…er…I mean relocation to an undisclosed location to live a life of ease an comfort. Just get in the back of the truck and let the Government take care of everything.

Bishop on June 29, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Uh.. What’s all this soylent green about ? I know it was a movie but I never watched it…

Key West Reader on June 29, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Key West Reader on June 29, 2009 at 2:48 PM

In the future, the Earth is over-crowded. The public is fed with a material called Soylent Green. Charlton Heston plays a Detective who eventually finds out that Soylent Green is made from people who report to Euthanasia Centers rather than keep living in an ugly world.

kingsjester on June 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM

TexasJew on June 29, 2009 at 2:47 PM

omg…lmao

SHARPTOOTH on June 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Anyone who’s read Mark Steyns work on the West’s demographic problems shoudl be able to understand this.

The Baby Boom generation didn’t have enough kids to support them in their golden years. In fact, that may be one reason some folks are in favor of an amnesty program. The quick injection of additional wage-earners would partially offset the graying of our population.

But the truth is that the “safety net” programs would eventually go bankrupt even without the excessive weight of the Boomers aging out. Because the government is a poor manager of resources.

hawksruleva on June 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM

The headlines about Madoff the last few days scream about him committing the largest Ponzi scheme in history.

I beg to differ. Social Security and medicare are the biggest Ponzi schemes in history…. and ’0bamacare’ and “Cap and Trade” will top that by far, should they pass.

What Madoff stole wouldn’t pay one month’s INTEREST on what the 0bama’s Ponzi schemes will cost in just one year.

LegendHasIt on June 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM

We could have renewed the population by about 45 million, but for Roe v. Wade.

Wethal on June 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Exactly

msmveritas on June 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Bishop on June 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM

You nailed it Bishop…

Liberty or Death on June 29, 2009 at 2:54 PM

I’ll be 50 in 2 weeks. should i get my affairs in order? write my epitaph? finally tell off those people that get on my nerves? say goodbye to my cat?

kelley in virginia on June 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

50 is the new 80…soon, though, 30 will be the new 80…

ladyingray on June 29, 2009 at 2:59 PM

with fewer and fewer workers supporting the system.

Four thousand potential workers a day, 40,000,000+ since Roe v. Wade, are killed by a “safe and rare” abortion.

davidk on June 29, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Bishop on June 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM

And if it looks as if you might linger on for a bit, and take up hospice or other medical care resources, the State will be willing to pay for assisted suicide drugs as part of Medicare D. Generic drugs, that is.

Wethal on June 29, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Four thousand potential workers a day, 40,000,000+ since Roe v. Wade, are killed by a “safe and rare” abortion product of a “women’s health issue.”

davidk on June 29, 2009 at 3:00 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on June 29, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Because the government is a poor manager of resources.

hawksruleva on June 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM

I don’t know what the ratio is today, but in the ’80s the Guv’ment used $3 to get $1 to the welfare recipient.

A $60 dr. office visit would cost the taxpayer $240.

davidk on June 29, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I can see what we need here is a massive amnesty bill!

cntrlfrk on June 29, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Look out! This was the precise problem encountered by General Motors’ health benefits program (as the company shrank) in recent years – a smaller & smaller work force supporting an ever increasing pool of retirees.

Of course, this is a historical fact that the Obama administration is keenly aware of becuase they now own GM. /sarc

ReagansRight on June 29, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Just came from my doctor. He’ll retire when this starts up and he is so happy his kids decided NOT to go into medicine.
Restrictive pay/huge ambulance chaser insurance claims=rationed DOCTORS, not only rationed care.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Paging Mark Steyn, paging Mark Steyn.

WitchDoctor on June 29, 2009 at 3:08 PM

i think my cat is waaaay over 80 in cat years. does she have to “go” too?

and where, exactly, do i go? could i have a throw-down 50th birthday party 1st?

kelley in virginia on June 29, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Throw mama from the train!

batter on June 29, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Did the CBO factor in AnninCA’s sack of magic beans? Surely magic can pay for some of this.

Chuck Schick on June 29, 2009 at 3:13 PM

With the exception of veteran, I’m every one of those. I am so screwed!

jennifernaz on June 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Ditto!

LSUMama on June 29, 2009 at 3:13 PM

I was just thinking if you’re over 50, you become soylent green.

So at 55, I can now tell the Obamabots to eat me!

A small victory,but I’ll take what I can…

karl9000 on June 29, 2009 at 3:18 PM

That sounds familiar. Did Tommy Thompson have any input into it? He drove teachers and school admin in Wis crazy with his scheme to increase school funding if your enrollment numbers increased. This was a win for Madison area schools who already had a larger tax base to draw on but it was a hard on schools with enrollments that dropped or fluctuated- hard to retain good teachers/buy new books etc when each year your funding might drop.

Driving on the highways in Wis during that time was also enlightening. If you were within a Republican zone there were no potholes. If you were in a Democrat district you couldn’t avoid them.

I turned more towards the Republican party after being in the military, marrying, having kids and moving to Illinois and the Chicago Machine, talking to my father in law about business etc but unless those lucky Republican governors in mostly dem controlled states make sure that every county in their state is treated with respect and given the amount of money it needs you will never change a voter’s heart.

journeyintothewhirlwind on June 29, 2009 at 3:27 PM

journeyintothewhirlwind on June 29, 2009 at 3:27 PM

A Republican could give each citizen a pot of gold in Milwaukee or Dane County, and it wouldn’t help him one bit.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Well looking back it seems like the Ponzi schemes we call Social Security and Medicare brought to us by comrade Roosevelt were not just a great idea after all. Maybe if the millions of babies aborted would be alive the system would have more payers than talkers now.

dpierson on June 29, 2009 at 3:39 PM

You forgot one which obviates the problem. ObamacCare is self correcting: it will move death to an earlier age.

burt on June 29, 2009 at 3:45 PM

It’s amazing to me the things Obama expects us to believe.

Alana on June 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Dear Leader expects you to believe six impossible things before breakfast every morning.

Get on it!

NeighborhoodCatLady on June 29, 2009 at 3:53 PM

hawksruleva on June 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Just about what I was going to say. That will be the new argument for granting amnesty. We need their tax dollars !!!

BowHuntingTexas on June 29, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I hope folks are aware that Obama isn’t stupid and oblivious to all of this. He WANTS the country to collapse so he can rebuild the way he wants it. He’s not Bambi… He’s Castro.

RightWinged on June 29, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Are you:
-Caucasian
-Non union
-Christian
-Conservative
-Gun owner
-Patriotic
-Veteran
-Voted for other than the demorat party in any election

Bishop on June 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM

This describes me to a T. I am *so* hosed.

Vic on June 29, 2009 at 4:04 PM

What astonishes me is that the CBO remains honest and independent enough to question the assumptions of BHO and the Democrat leaders. How long can that continue?

guntotinglibertarian on June 29, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Yawning!!!

Who cares. If the Congress, under both repubs and Dems, does not care why should I? I’m done with pounding my head against the wall these last thirty years. I have a life to live.

patrick neid on June 29, 2009 at 4:07 PM

guntotinglibertarian on June 29, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I’d say not much past friday. The ObamaFuhrer and his fellow fascists have a love affair with late friday document dumps.

AW1 Tim on June 29, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Anyone who actually accepts that premise is on the verge of dementia if not outright insanity.

MB4 on June 29, 2009 at 4:13 PM

BowHuntingTexas on June 29, 2009 at 3:59 PM

What tax dollars??? No jobs to collect tax dollars from. It would just increase the Unemployement Rate even further, and they would be sucking off the tet of the US/State Government.

We are sooooo FUBAR.

Rush was right….Obama is succeeding. We all will soon be paying for his success.

PappaMac on June 29, 2009 at 4:13 PM

RightWinged on June 29, 2009 at 4:03 PM

There IS a problem to that idea for Obama. As MORE men are laid off and use up benefits, there will start to be a very ANGRY group of people who will feel like they have nothing to lose, and that the country they loved is being destroyed by Obama and his cohorts. I GUARANTEE you will see violence and I GUARANTEE it very soon.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 5:17 PM

The judge who sentenced Madoff just called his ponzi scheme business “extremely evil”. Some have suggested that is exactly what Medicare and Medicaid are, giant ponzi schemes. This will be the mother of all ponzi schemes if it passes. It will make Enron and Madoff look like juveniles.

If I may make a suggestion, we do not need to wait until this is up for a vote. We need to let Congress know now how we view this Death Star Care. Do not let your voice go unheard because the phone lines, internet, and fax machines are melting and you cannot get through. Begin body slamming them now.

freeus on June 29, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Heh.

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire
We don’t need no water, let the mother f###er burn
BURN, mother f###er BURN

bitsy on June 29, 2009 at 5:51 PM

johnsteele on June 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM

…and with energy costs due to skyrocket, more people will be unable to afford food, clothing, or shelter…and obviously these insufficiently productive slugs who refuse to remit sufficient taxes to satisfy the Democrats’ appetite are not worth healthcare dollars, either.

landlines on June 29, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Not drawing any conclusions here… just saying…

winfield on June 29, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Key West Reader on June 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM

That must have been maddening for your friend, Key West. I’m not sure what your disagreement with me is. I don’t see one. My experience and observation has been that back in the days when the only type of insurance available was “major medical/surgical” two poor married college students — working and paying our own way and not with government loans or loans of any kind — could afford that insurance and could afford to pay to see a doctor or a dentist. Once HMOs came on the scene and insurance started covering everything, including doctor visits, I saw medical costs skyrocket. We used to pay for our kids’ pediatrician visits and all prescriptions out of pocket and they were affordable. Not so anymore. Doctors and hospitals using private patients to subsidize their medicare and medicaid patients is undoubtedly occurring. But I would still go that route rather than have Obamacare!!!

My whole point is that if insurance did not pay for everything under the sun, it would be affordable and so would health care.

Example: We received an ad from Humana in the mail just today, offering us an “opportunity” to buy their insurance. It covers everything, including visits to the SPA, for heaven’s sake! No wonder insurance and health care is so expensive.

winfield on June 29, 2009 at 7:21 PM

kelley in virginia on June 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Billy Mayes and Michael Jackson were both 50…I’m just saying.

PatMac on June 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM

:instead the aging and non-renewing population” I hope the AARP understands that the current administration thinks us old folk are non-renewing, whatever that implies?

Are they implying we cannot reproduce, we are fiscally unable to continue giving to society the party or the Infernal Revenue Service, the insurance industry will not give us a policy because actuarial tables say we’re a bad risk for anymore life insurance, or that our library cards have expired.

MSGTAS on June 30, 2009 at 10:40 AM