Surprise: Axelrod refuses to rule out tax hike to pay for ObamaCare

posted at 2:49 pm on June 28, 2009 by Allahpundit

I don’t blame him. The “pile of sh*t” that passed the House on Friday, which even Obama pal Warren Buffett describes as a “huge tax,” already shattered The One’s pledge not to raise taxes on people who make less than $250,000. Now that they’re in for a penny, they might as well be in for a pound:

I pressed Axelrod on whether Obama will draw a line in the sand and veto any bill that funds health care reform with tax hikes for people making under $250,000 a year — a pledge Barack Obama made during the 2008 presidential campaign.

“One of the problems we’ve had in this town is that people draw lines in the sand and they stop talking to each other. And you don’t get anything done. That’s not the way the president approaches us. He is very cognizant of protecting people — middle class people, hard-working people who are trying to get along in a very difficult economy. And he will continue to represent them in these talks,” Axelrod said.

“But they’re also dealing with punishing health care costs, and that’s something that we have to deal with.”

This wouldn’t be the only health-care “line in the sand” drawn during the campaign that’s now being quietly washed away by economic reality. As for foreign policy, Ax helpfully informed Stephanopoulos that it’s still full speed ahead on negotiations with Iran. You can watch that clip here but I recommend his exchange on the same topic with David Gregory instead, as Gregory presses him on what consequences Iran should suffer for its brutality. Ax has no answers, of course. Note also his insistence (in both interviews) that Ahmadinejad has no say in setting foreign policy, which (a) may be technically true but is meaningless in practice, given that Khamenei obviously supports Ahmadinejad’s vision enough to rig an election for him and (b) may not even be technically true anymore given the astounding power the Revolutionary Guard now has in Iran. If you missed Gary Sick’s short but essential piece in Headlines last night on who really holds the cards there, read it now. The election was more of a coup than you thought.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Good work BG

katy, have you got any targets with BHO, Pelosi or Reid on them?

conservnut on June 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I kinda knew they were lying about that one. But I’m pretty sure they won’t get this passed by taxing health care. Right?

scalleywag on June 28, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Katy, she trying to make me watch “No Reservations”. I’ve already given up.

boomer on June 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Axel of Evil

Christian Conservative on June 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Well, I’ve mentioned it before on HA but I’m a 5 hour drive from TX and would move there in a heartbeat if things began to heat up.
I want nothing more than a peaceful solution. The problem is Obama wants an ugly one. He must have chaos in oder to push such radicalization as effectively as he can. Therein lies the problem.

katy on June 28, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Well, I am not a secessionist, but I can really see that as being an option we may be forced to take before long. The problem is we will have to be ready to fight. Obama won’t let that lie, he can’t, it would start a domino effect that would leave only the NE and California in the union.

Personally, my allegiance is to my sovereign, Texas. If Texas leaves, I will too, if Texas fights, so will I.

conservnut on June 28, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I’ve never been to Texas, I’m from the Frozen Tundra, I hate the Cowboys, but if Texas leaves the union, I’ll suddenly be a Texan and be there within hours.

Jeff from WI on June 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Baxter Greene on June 28, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Outstanding! and any other superlative I can think of

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Jeff from WI on June 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Come on, we’ll even brainwash you into becoming a Cowboy fan!

Well, maybe that’s a stretch, I don’t know if cheeseheads can be brainwashed. :-)

conservnut on June 28, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Jeff from WI on June 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM

You’ll meet open arms. buy, I’ve got to warn you the summers are bruuuutaaaal.

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Baxter Greene on June 28, 2009 at 7:13 I have read almost all the comments on this thread and only posted in response to yours. There have been many good posts including the most recent post by freeus. I am to much of an introvert to attend any rallies or protests because the left owns the protest venue. When they protest they have a way of turning violent like in the late 60′s and early 70′s and who can forget the Rodney King riots. I pray they don’t attempt to get antagonists amid the peaseful
protests the right have planned.

fourdeucer on June 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM

You’ll meet open arms. buy, I’ve got to warn you the summers are bruuuutaaaal.

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Especially right now!

conservnut on June 28, 2009 at 7:24 PM

We work for them now. Eventually, we won’t even get paid. We will just turn over our entire paychecks and the nanny state will just issue us those little credit cards for what it says we need and are allowed to have. Once the credits on it are gone for the month, we will just have to do without.

Jvette on June 28, 2009 at 3:02 PM

What you describe is like the servitude of coal miners who used to be paid in scrip to pay for their purchases because they “owed their soul to the company store.”

onlineanalyst on June 28, 2009 at 7:27 PM

katy on June 28, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Katy sorry I missed ya! Shoot em staight.

P.S. I like it when you talk dirty to me ;)

(just kidding)

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:28 PM

if Texas leaves the union, I’ll suddenly be a Texan and be there within hours.

Jeff from WI on June 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM

You’ll meet open arms. buy, I’ve got to warn you the summers are bruuuutaaaal.

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Save a place for me at that Cowboys game.

I guess Aikman and Emmet weren’t so bad…;o)

infidel4life on June 28, 2009 at 7:31 PM

You’ll meet open arms. buy, I’ve got to warn you the summers are bruuuutaaaal.

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM
Especially right now!

conservnut on June 28, 2009 at 7:24 PM

You should try walking around the French Quarter. Brutal is putting it mildly. I would like to know when the Tea Party will go to Washington DC?

LSUMama on June 28, 2009 at 7:34 PM

HoustonRight

Have you ever been to El Paso? I spent about 3 years inside the FM 1960 corridor, north west area. This was from 1980 to 1983.

fourdeucer on June 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM

fourdeucer on June 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM

They already have. The first protest I ever attended was this past April at a teaparty. It was tried. But, you see the peaceful smart people I witness calmly difused their efforts. I was so impressed I have volunteered for the July 4th party (although ours is on the 3rd).

I, like you, had never gotten “involved” other than casting my vote. But politicians have stopped listening and the corruption is growing. It is time for the peaceful showing of the silent majority!

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:38 PM

fourdeucer on June 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Only in college when we were playing UTEP in baseball. Back then they played at the AAA Miners park. We got in tro0uble for breaking curfew at the greyhound races over in Juarez. Long story.

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM

fourdeucer on June 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM

You would not recognize that area now. Grown beyond belief.

I’m in SW area near Bellaire

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:44 PM

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM

I am just interested because there used to be a large A made of stones on the side of the mountain, I never got the story on that. You will know what I am talking about.

fourdeucer on June 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM

LSUMama on June 28, 2009 at 7:34 PM

No thanks. Humidity is bad enough here. I just make my sister go and bring me back some stuffed porkchops, etc.

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM

fourdeucer on June 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM

We were wondering the same thing. I think we got an answer but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was. It was in ’85. Sorry.

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM

But I’m pretty sure they won’t get this passed by taxing health care. Right?

Why the h*ll not? The House just passed Crap & Tax which will be a far bigger tax on the American people than a puny little health care tax – well at least at first.

katablog.com on June 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM
Thank you anyhow, I loved my time in your state.

fourdeucer on June 28, 2009 at 8:00 PM

OT-****ALERT****

Just received an email from fellow tea party member. She is saying that there are five days allowed for Congress to change their votes on a bill. I have no reason not to believe her. IF this is true, we need to get busy trying to flip the votes on Cap and Trade STAT. It is worth a shot, and I welcome any further info! It is supposed to be in the Congressional Rules somewhere.

freeus on June 28, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Baxter Greene on June 28, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Outstanding! and any other superlative I can think of

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:21 PM

and thanks for getting involved.
Have visited Texas many times and consider it one of the greatest places I have ever been,mainly because of the great ,hard working people that make it up.

fourdeucer on June 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM

I know how you feel when you are hesitant in attending rallies,especially to counter protest against liberals and their ideology.
I would suggest though that you find some people who are going and make the plunge.
I went with the gathering of Eagles to counter protest Cindy Sheehan and the anti-war crowd in DC in 2006 and 2007.
I traveled and roomed with Vietnam,Iraq,and Afghanistan Veterans.
The March 2006 rally we were over 30,000 strong and the liberals were close to 50,000.
I found that when you are with so many people that support and cherish our country and the values it was built upon,the difference in numbers had no effect.
That counter protest and the other two in DC were some of the best experiences I have ever had in standing up for our Troops,their mission,and the values of our country.
Please remember that the press portrays these rallies in the media with extreme bias for the liberals in numbers and who make up the anti-war supporters(communist,anarchist and many other radical groups don’t make it on TV most of the time,you have to go to Zombietime.com to see this).
I would suggest you go and show your support and you will be surprised the friends you will make and the satisfaction you will get in making a stand.

Baxter Greene on June 28, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Most of our Congress will be attending town hall and Fourth of July event during their recess. It’s time to gather like-minded patriots to hammer them with real, not politically planted questions and express our displeasure with their wasteful spending and intrusive legislation.

Every time that I recall the cheers of the House Dems following the passage of the Cap and Trade bill, I grit my teeth. What exactly were they cheering? That they, like Obamao, “won”?

Even though most of us on this board are probably not Dems, we need to attend their events and offer alternatives to the nonsense that they are feeding their supporters.

If our Congresscritters are doing a good job, give them an attaboy and tell them specifically what you approve of.

Keep up with the emails, the phone calls and the faxes. Inform our legislators with facts from think tanks.

We should be networking in our neighborhoods and communities to locate like-minded people who will serve as support.

We can form our own legal, aboveboard voter registration groups to canvass the neighborhoods, support solid candidates, and act as poll watchers during elections.

We should locate attorneys in our communities to whom we can report irregularities during the census taking. If necessary, we then have the ammunition to file class-action suits.

We can learn to be more self-reliant in providing for ourselves and our families. We can barter, grow some of our own food, make do or do without, exchange services with our neighbors or extended family– sewing, mending, car repair, carpentry, canning, plumbing, nursing/first aid, etc.

We can cancel our cable television, stop attending expensive entertainments, have neighborhood or block parties, read, go to the playground with our children, teach them some basic home skills, etc.

We can support our local farmers and small businesses, and find our leaders among them. We can encourage them to run for office, or do so ourselves. We can attend local government meetings and offer our expertise if we know anything about economics, budgets, or the law.

The federal government is nothing without its informed, active citizens. We start small, and we network, network, network.

onlineanalyst on June 28, 2009 at 8:22 PM

if Texas leaves the union, I’ll suddenly be a Texan and be there within hours.

Jeff from WI on June 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM

You’ll meet open arms. buy, I’ve got to warn you the summers are bruuuutaaaal.

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Save a place for me at that Cowboys game.

I guess Aikman and Emmet weren’t so bad…;o)

infidel4life on June 28, 2009 at 7:31 PM

LOL..Sorry…but even if I get to Texas, it’ll be Lombardi over Landry for me.

Jeff from WI on June 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM

If we make it to Texas, I’ll bring along some extra firearms. It’s the least I can to to supply my own.

Jeff from WI on June 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Baxter Greene on June 28, 2009 at 8:17 PM
Believe me I do as much as possible, I can’t tell you how much I support our military, or you good people at HotAir.
Some things are better left unsaid on the internet.

fourdeucer on June 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Baxter Greene on June 28, 2009 at 8:17 PM
Some things are better left unsaid on the internet.

fourdeucer on June 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Thanks for what you can do,every effort makes a difference.

Baxter Greene on June 28, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Here’s an interesting tidbit on a recall petition for Congressman Cao of LA. for the stimulus vote.

katy on June 28, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Katy, Cao is a Vietnamese, who is very conservative in his politics. He deserves every bit of support from us because those ministers who are setting up the recall are probably pushing for more funds from Uncle Sam to keep the government-dependent happy.

Having supported conservative candidates outside my own state with campaign funds, I get a lot of mailer solicitations from other conservative. Cao is a good guy, who values the promise of our American way.

onlineanalyst on June 28, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Save a place for me at that Cowboys game.

I guess Aikman and Emmet weren’t so bad…;o)

infidel4life on June 28, 2009 at 7:31 PM

You got it partner!

conservnut on June 28, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Texas rocks. I’m a displaced Texan and can’t wait to go back. Although I can’t say Virginia is too bad either, except for the excessive taxes.

scalleywag on June 28, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Baxter Greene on June 28, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Thanks to you and to all the people here because you all have taught me that even my little part can make a difference.

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 8:43 PM

LOL..Sorry…but even if I get to Texas, it’ll be Lombardi over Landry for me.

Uh, you might not want to repeat that out loud when you get down here. We haven’t had to hang a yankee in a long time :-)

conservnut on June 28, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Jeff from WI on June 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM

In that case.. HURRY UP!

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Jeff from WI on June 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM

In that case.. HURRY UP!

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Si, come on brother! But if you repeat that Landry thing you may want to make sure you are locked and loaded.

conservnut on June 28, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Remember this? Shopping in Texas.

conservnut on June 28, 2009 at 8:51 PM

There are probably enough creative folks in business, marketing, film, commercial art among us to generate posters or flyers, local television ads, or YouTube videos that promote conservative ideas (especially fiscally), present facts that oppose bad legislation, offer/support good alternatives to thorny issues.

Have the informational flyers (or posters) available in public places: libraries, parks, recreation centers, churches, grocery store bulletin boards, etc. Attribute where the information is coming from.

Use reliable information. The Heritage Foundation is a good start to locate accurate facts.

Support conservative PACs and publications. See if they can offer ideas to generate the buzz.

Judicial Watch is building cases to bring some of our elected scoundrels to justice. Support them.

Be clever, colorful, catchy, and appealing to the best interests of the people that you are trying to influence. Don’t barrage people with too much information. Keep the message pointed.

onlineanalyst on June 28, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Would you buy a used car from this man?

Jeff from WI on June 28, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Remember this? Shopping in Texas.

conservnut on June 28, 2009 at 8:51 PM

A TRUE CLASSIC!!! Thanks, I bet you get alot of comments on it.

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 8:59 PM

The other issue about Obamao that grinds me is his cuts in defense, an area that is the primary function of the federal government, in order to create his socialist/fascist Utopia.

onlineanalyst on June 28, 2009 at 9:01 PM

onlineanalyst on June 28, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Excellent advise for all!

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Without jeopardizing anyones anonymity, I have been told by more than one source that Obama could not even pass an entry level security exam. Now he is undermining the constitution so bad that if his agenda was passed we could not even live within the law. I thought he said he was a scholar, or a constitution professor. If he gets the majority in the Supreme Court we are really screwed.

fourdeucer on June 28, 2009 at 9:12 PM

fourdeucer on June 28, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Makes you wonder. If he wasn’t such a huge narcissist then whose puppet is he?

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Awwwriight ! Let’s see what they’re up to in western PA.

petefrt on June 28, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I had a phone call last week about the Bushy Run Battlefield event on the Fourth. Maybe you can be part of our band of patriots.

onlineanalyst on June 28, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Baxter Green: You do a yeoman’s work in gathering information and presenting it so well. I save everything that you post and pass it along to like-minded friends (with attribution, of course), so that we have an arsenal of facts. Thanks for all that you do.

onlineanalyst on June 28, 2009 at 10:08 PM

P.S. Mark Levin said on Friday that Landmark Legal Foundation is getting ready to launch some lawsuits against President Me-Myself & I.

freeus on June 28, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Thank heaven! At last! Litigating Obama v. Constitution is the only way to slow him up, at least until elections 2010.

Time to make another small contribution, in gratitude, to Landmark for the work it does.

petefrt on June 28, 2009 at 10:35 PM

onlineanalyst on June 28, 2009 at 9:31 PM

YES! Thank you. I had checked some of the Tea Party sites and this wasn’t listed in their directories. So glad to find a Tea Party within reasonable driving time of me. See ya there!

Also nice to know, onlineanalyst, I have a friend in western PA.

Let’s party like it’s 1776.

petefrt on June 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM

petefrt: The event takes place from 11:00 am till 1:00 pm. Go to the Glenn Beck site that someone listed above and enter 15601 zip code. You will find more information at the link. There are several other events listed in the western PA area if that one is not close to you.

See you there!

And thank goodness for Mark Levin and Landmark Legal Foundation!!

onlineanalyst on June 28, 2009 at 10:59 PM

My mother was in town this weekend and I was amazed that she echoed some of the thoughts I’ve read here. Like Katy and others I’m VERY worried and as my mother and I discussed what Odumbo is doing we realized that what is comming actually could be similar to the 1st Civil War.

I truly dread what is happening, I’ve written, I called, I’ve done EVERYTHING I should be doing! Leagally!!

Yet “our rulers” ignore the laws they give us, lie to us daily, steal from us at their whim. NONE of them can be trusted. Earlier someone wrote that those in congress could not be removed yet THAT is not true. The constitution DOES allow for WE THE PEOPLE to throw off a repressive government and start over IF WE CHOOSE to do so.

Their cars, jets, offices, and buldings are OURS! Not theirs, we own them, we pay for them, they DON’T. Congress for years has bullied us into paying for their lavish lifestyles while WE suffer yet they want MORE?

Today we whine, we comisserate and decry that which they steal from us in gas taxes, ciggarette taxes, air taxes, car taxes, food taxes, home taxes, street taxes, school taxes, licence taxes, wage taxes, phone taxes, soda taxes, alcahol taxes, weapon taxes, garbage taxes, hunting taxes, fishing taxes, boat taxes, luxury taxes??, medicine taxes, retirement taxes, investment taxes, savings taxes, borrowing taxes, buisness taxes, electricity taxes, and ON and ON and ON yet our goverment WANTS more from us??

FOR WHAT !!!!!

To pay their friends? to live large and have the fun vacations or the nice meals they deny us? WHY?

Because we are just TO STUPID to know any better, we are just a bunch of cattle in a feild and if we misbehave it’s no big deal if they cull us from the heard and chop us up to eat. WE have not been “citizens” for a long time, WE gave that up to be cattle led around to be slaughtered if our masters feel so inclined.

We have no Bull’s left, those that summon the courage to charge are quickly dispatched, arrested for “something” and we go back to grazing just glad it wasn’t US who got butchered for refusing to submit to their “TAX”!

There are 300 millilon cows in this herd and EVERY single one of us myself included is to dam scared to stand up and be the first casualty. As much as we WANT to stand up we won’t, as much as we talk about NOT paying our TAX we won’t.

IF EVERY buisness and EVERY person IGNORED their tax for ONE WEEK, just ONE it would get their attention but on tax day all we did was cry, we yelled NO! but we still payed.

And as I sit here tears in my eyes tonight, I know that tomorrow I’m going to do just like everyone else and pay my tax because I’m to afraid of being taken out back and “shot” for not paying….

It’s OUR DAM MONEY and WE are to afraid to stop giving it to them for fear of what will happen if we don’t!

babydoll4you on June 29, 2009 at 12:02 AM

NOTE: if the healthcare gig passes with the idea of making medical costs count as taxable income, then anyone who is fighting cancer, a disease, has been in an accident, etc…even if those people make less than the poverty line their “income” can easily be described as over $250k. It’s en Emperor-has-no-clothes scenario taking shape, and they’re gonna get away with it. No need to raise the death tax because EVERYONE who dies will be making their taxable income skyrocket in those last few days.

Republicans are gonna be able to run on a promise in the midterms to cut taxes galore, cut spending galore, etc. I pray they will.

scottm on June 29, 2009 at 7:24 AM

… if Texas leaves the union, I’ll suddenly be a Texan and be there within hours.

Jeff from WI on June 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM

I was just saying yesterday that what Hot Air really needs is another self-described conservative talking about secession. Nitwit.

Jaibones on June 29, 2009 at 7:35 AM

promises, promises…..

an expiration date is required with every speech he makes from now until 2012….

cmsinaz on June 29, 2009 at 7:51 AM

babydoll4you on June 29, 2009 at 12:02 AM

If it’s any comfort to you, know that there are millions of good, hard working Americans who feel the same angst you and your mother do.

I want to believe that we will take so much and then blow. It takes a while for a wave to pick up speed and force before it finally crashes the beach.
Just keep talking and emailing and venting and never stop.

katy on June 29, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Who elected Assholerod?

Then again, who elected Barry?

We need a new election to throw them both out.

NoDonkey on June 29, 2009 at 8:49 AM

if Texas leaves the union, I’ll suddenly be a Texan and be there within hours.

Jeff from WI on June 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Jaibones on June 29, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Actually talking about it is about all that’ll actually happen. Since, much like the tea parties, there’s not many REAL actions you’ll see.Give you an example, what was it 8 or 9 Republicans voted FOR that Cap & Trade country killer bill, yet TODAY, they’re STILL Republicans. If we had a REAL party, they’d be thrown out by now. See, nothing but talk.

Jeff from WI on June 29, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Why is it that in Obamaland only the middle class are considered “hard working?” How does he think most “rich” people (in his mind those who make more than $200k) got that way? By NOT working hard?

redfoxbluestate on June 29, 2009 at 3:35 PM

You’ll meet open arms. buy, I’ve got to warn you the summers are bruuuutaaaal.

HoustonRight on June 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM

I just moved here in January and I’ve heard this but don’t feel it so far. And this is after 10 straight days of 100+ here in San Antonio. The mornings and evenings are fine and it’s sunny every day.

I’ll take a hot summer over five months of grey skies and cold up north. I grew up in Pittsburgh and I’ll never miss the weather up there.

NoDonkey on June 29, 2009 at 3:54 PM