And you thought disaster movies were out

posted at 1:26 pm on June 27, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Irwin Allen practically created the “disaster movie” genre, star-studded spectaculars surrounding some massive tragedy like a sinking ship, an earthquake, or a high-rise fire.  Thankfully, the genre died out after producing more than its share of critical and box-office disasters … or at least, we thought it was dead:

After the 2002 cinematic flop “Crossroads,” few would have been surprised if teen-talent-turned-adult-disaster Britney Spears never again appeared on the silver screen. According to reports this week, though, Spears is weighing a return to acting — and it is a comeback that Jews in Germany are viewing with extreme distaste.

Spears, who is currently in the process of successfully resuscitating her recently languishing music career with her global “Circus” tour, is reportedly reviewing a script for a film tentatively titled “The Yellow Star of Sophia and Eton.” The flick would see her playing a character named Sophia LaMont who travels back in time to fall in love with a Jewish concentration camp prisoner named Eton. In a tricky critique of ongoing anti-Semitism, the script concludes with the lovebirds travelling back to the present day before being killed by Nazis.

Charlotte Knobloch, president of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, has said she is horrified at the prospect of Britney making a Holocaust film. “In films that deal with the Holocaust, the script should be carefully chosen and the cast picked with care,” Knobloch told the German tabloid Bild. “It is reprehensible to combine the issue of the Holocaust with Britney Spears in an attempt to secure financing for the film ‘The Yellow Star of Sophia and Eton.’ Ethical considerations should have priority.”

Anyone who watched Crossroads has to be horrified at the thought of Britney Spears making any other movie, but even Meryl Streep couldn’t save this concept.  In the hands of Spears, it sounds as though it could be Battlefield Earth bad, but without any of the unintentional humor that makes the classic stinker so much fun.

Besides, in what universe would this secure financing for the film?  It’s not as if Spears’ fan base will run to the theaters to see a Holocaust flick.  They’re more likely to watch the next iteration of Transformers — which is creating its own controversy these days:

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, the much-anticipated sequel to the surprise summer 2007 smash hit “Transformers” is taking fire for its comic relief: a pair of slang-spewing, illiterate Chevy hatchbacks named Skids and Mudflap. Much like criticism over the “Star Wars” Episode 1 character Jar Jar Binks, the robot duo is being labeled a racist caricature.

Though the pair fights alongside the Autobots, the robot protagonists of Michael Bay’s explosive sequel, they do little real fighting and mostly squabble amongst themselves. One of them even sports an ornate gold tooth, serving no real function.

Just for full disclosure, I didn’t like the first Transformers film, and I have no plans to see the second one.  The first film had the same issue, though, with its “Jazz” character, who spoke in urban patois.  This surprised me, since the only Jazz I know is a crusty upstater from New York.  As I recall it didn’t create a controversy at that time, but that may be because the Jazz character didn’t get played as comic relief.  The explanation was that the robots picked up their individual personalities from observing Earth culture, which makes some sense.  Michael Bay made the mistake of doubling down on it, and now people have noticed.

Maybe next time, Bay can include a Britney robot who goes back in time and gets disassembled by global-warming activists, or something.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Sophia: “Done? Ok, I know just what to do.”

Eton: “What, my precious?”

Sophia: “I have to go see Colonel Hogan. He’ll know how to smuggle you to England.”

Eton: “Got a cigarette?

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Sophia: “Cigarette’s are bad *voice over: unless they are made by Phillip Morris*, but I do have some Oxy.”

Eton: “That will do.”

Sophia: “OK, I’ll be right back. The Colonel is waiting”

*kisses Eton on the forehead and then brushes his hair back.*

Upstater85 on June 27, 2009 at 4:37 PM

(***cut to Sergeant Shultz walking guard duty at the front gate***)

Shultz: “HALT!”

Shultz challenges Sophia as she approaches the guard shack…

“Shultzie!”, cooos Sophia (she breaks out into a chorus of ‘Springtime for Hitler’.)

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 4:42 PM

In Star Wars, Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker’s father.

In Citizen Kane, “Rosebud” is the name of his sled.

In Murder on the Orient Express, they all did it.

JohnGalt23 on June 27, 2009 at 4:26 PM

LOL

LSUMama on June 27, 2009 at 4:43 PM

***Unfortunately, Sophia left a trail of cigarettes on her way to see Colonel Hogan, which lead the Nazis right back to Eton***

Sir Corky on June 27, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Sir Corky on June 27, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Tears, my friend. Everloving tears! ;)

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Sir Corky on June 27, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Tears, my friend. Everloving tears! ;)

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 4:45 PM

***After Sophia left a trail of Everloving Tears – a common Phillip Morris cigarette brand in Nazi Germany, in the native language of Irish, Sophia must now communicate with some of the neighboring peasantry***

Sophia: “Aye… How do I find where they took me man?”

Peasant: “Uh…”

*dumbfounded look on face.*

Upstater85 on June 27, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Lee Marvin, and twelve rough looking fellas, jump out of the bushes and blow up Stalag 13.

Sophia: “You fool! I needed to see Colonel Hogan!”

Enter Charles Bronson: “I’ll trade you a pack of Lucky Strikes for those Haines-my-way.”

(***in the background Lee Marvin waves at Steve McQueen as he rolls by on a Beemer***)

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Von Ryan’s Express pulls up asking for directions

Sophia: “Frankie!”

Sinatra: “Well, toots, what brings you to Munich”

Sophia: “No time to talk, Colonel Von Ryan, We have to turn this train of yours around and get Eton”

(***the Von Ryan Express pulls away with Sophia and the Dirty Dozen breakdancing on top of the box cars….***)

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 5:12 PM

You really think Sinatra would make a film with BritzyBabe?

Upstater85 on June 27, 2009 at 5:15 PM

JohnGalt23 on June 27, 2009 at 4:26 PM

I’ve got the perfect t-shirt for you:

CK MacLeod on June 27, 2009 at 5:21 PM

How about releasing “The Day the Clown Cried” with Jerry Lewis?

RobCon on June 27, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Upstater85 on June 27, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Ok, I’ll chill. You are right, Frankie probably would have sent Tom Hagen to decline the script……

Ed…sorry….this Britany as Back to the Future just got the best of me. We can return now to Walter Cronkite and “You Are There”.

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Why just the Jews in Germany? I would think that any reasonable person would view this with extreme distaste…

Upstater85 on June 27, 2009 at 4:28 PM

I’ll do you one better from the “comedy” Bruno that is being hyped ahead of its July 10 release date.

The La Toya Jackson scene (termed significant) where Bruno is attempting to get Michael Jackson’s number from La Toya’s BlackBerry while she is eating sushi from the body of a naked Mexican worker has been cut because it would be in poor taste to have kept it in because of Michael Jackson’s death.

I pity anyone who thinks that Michael Jackson’s death is the only part of that equation that is in poor taste.

highhopes on June 27, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Britney has a right to make bad movies and people have a right to buy her bad albums. You can’t legislate good taste.

dedalus on June 27, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Absolutely not which is why Demi Moore made that telling of The Scarlet Letter with a hot tub scene.

highhopes on June 27, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I have a question.

Given that Britney Spears isn’t completely retarded, and could potentially have done her homework while getting this script together, why does her celebrity status somehow eliminate her legitimacy to make a script regarding the holocaust? It doesn’t sound like she’s mocking or deriding what happened to the Jews.

MadisonConservative on June 27, 2009 at 5:33 PM

highhopes on June 27, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Hester had what Britney seeks……relevance, gravitas, and a writer to die for……

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I have a question.

MadisonConservative on June 27, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Heck, I don’t want to dig her too much. I’d actually be happy if she could pull this off… Oh and BTW, part of me is starting to think Paris Hilton isn’t so stupid…

Then there’s this

Upstater85 on June 27, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Hey, I thought it was funny…

Upstater85 on June 27, 2009 at 5:38 PM

highhopes on June 27, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Yeah… I made the mistake of watching Borat. I will not waste money even renting Bruno. Cohen is not funny. He runs around embarrassing people and calls it “humor.” I hope for Epic Fail… Any predictions?

Upstater85 on June 27, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Oh , I like the Revenge of the Fallen because it mirrors the way our current administration handle both our allies and the ones who try to kill us . In the movie , they treat the Autobots and the NEST team with utter contempt and in contrast , they have no problem helping the Decepticons to capture Sam for the sake of saving their own skins without giving a single serious thought of what the consequences of that help might bring to the people of Earth .

DinobotPrime on June 27, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Upstater85 on June 27, 2009 at 5:40 PM

The Jerry Lewis syndrome…..just like that yawner Jim Carrey. I said it folks…Jim Carrey couldn’t hold Buster Keaton’s gird for his loins.

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 5:45 PM

MadisonConservative on June 27, 2009 at 5:33 PM

After a couple days beating back HA idiots who have equated calling for some decorum over the death of Michael Jackson with the claim that I support of pedophiles, I can’t believe I am commenting on this non-story.

All evidence to the contrary, I don’t think Britney is any more retarded than when Dan Ackroyd and Rosie O’Donnell starred in Pleasure Island. This is a business proposition and Britney isn’t going to be getting offers from the Royal Shakespeare Company to play Lady MacBeth or Juliet.

highhopes on June 27, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Jim Carrey couldn’t hold Buster Keaton’s gird for his loins.

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Now there’s a mental picture I’m going to have to erase.

Deanna on June 27, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Deanna on June 27, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Buster wrote physical comedy for Abbott and Costello, the Marx Bros, and The Three Stooges.

Barry on Rushmore? Not until Buster makes it there.

Britney, now I’m all for second chances. This is America, where second chances are king, but I just don’t think that there is a single DNA strand of Hepburn, let alone Mrs Schindler, in her ‘resume’.

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 6:05 PM

highhopes on June 27, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Wow. They didn’t go after me when I said the same.

Then again, I’ve been accused of what you were when I said that drawn lines on paper weren’t the same as a photograph of a crime.

MadisonConservative on June 27, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Jim Carrey couldn’t hold Buster Keaton’s gird for his loins.

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Not in those terms but here’s the thing.

Movies are irrelevant other than for entertainment.

You don’t go to the movie theater to see the newsreels to see what is going on in the world. Television filled the bill for years but cable news is on a 24/7 cycle. You don’t even have to go to the movies for entertainment. All the programming on cable gives more choice than was ever possible in the “dark ages” of three channels (with a few lame UHF choices).

In short the dynamic has shifted and I think even the local movie theater is a dying institution. Why drive to the local mega-plex when you can watch from home with all the clarity and sound you’d get from the theater?

highhopes on June 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Upstater85 on June 27, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I agree. He just isn’t funny, and goes to great lengths to make others look stupid, or does something stupid himself. He just reeks of attention whore. I can imagine he wore his mother out with…mom look! Look at me mom! Mom, are you watching? Watch me! Watch me mom!!!!

capejasmine on June 27, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 5:45 PM

When my kids were young and would watch a Jim Carrey, they would watch me and wonder aloud how I couldn’t think he was funny. What can I say, I don’t think he’s funny.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM

MadisonConservative on June 27, 2009 at 5:33 PM

In my opinion, there are some people in the celebrity world whose social status has become more important than whatever entertainment contributions they have made. Britney is one of those people, and it causes whatever project she attaches herself to to have less credibility. It’s not an issue of her being disrespectful to Jews, her making the project in itself is just a little hinky.

Sir Corky on June 27, 2009 at 6:52 PM

While Britney plays with her conscience THIS is happening in Tehran.

Meanwhile this is ABC.

And we are supposed to take Hollyweird, MTV, and the MSM seriously?

I’d rather patrol for dog business.

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I don’t know which is worse, the thought of Brittny Spears shaving her head again…

Or the thought of some tribunal somewhere deciding whether casting decisions are “ethical” or not.

All I know is that I treat them both exactly the same way: ignore them and hope they eventually shut up and go away.

logis on June 27, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I just got back from Transformers, and it was awesome. A little long, but great nonetheless. Those two Chevy’s were a howl.

Geronimo on June 27, 2009 at 7:16 PM

MadisonConservative on June 27, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Your desperate need to be the contrarian is often amusing. But sometimes it’s just desperate and weird.

Just for grins, why is this “given”?

Jaibones on June 27, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Just for grins, why is this “given”?

Jaibones on June 27, 2009 at 7:18 PM

I don’t have a desperate need to be a contrarian. Picture this: there are lots of people out there who don’t agree with you on everything. Get over yourself.

It’s a given because she’s an adult that’s somehow managed a career resurrection after a number of considerable speedbumps.

MadisonConservative on June 27, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I don’t know, to me, this has the potential to be every bit as funny as Battlefield Earth.

DrZin on June 27, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Ummm… the movie theater I saw it in last night was at least 1/3 black people. And from what I recall – including the black people that were sitting right next to me and directly behind me – they all thought those two characters were funny as shit.

I suppose Tow Mater should be called out for being racist against white people now?

thareb on June 27, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Barry on Rushmore? Not until Buster makes it there.

Limerick on June 27, 2009 at 6:05 PM

I just couldn’t picture Carrey and Keaton together in any thing. I love the old comedians, from W.C. to Groucho and then Benny and Burns to Burnette and Winters. I just watched both “It’s a Mad Mad Mad World” and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” for the umpteenth time .They both beat anything Carrey has done.

Deanna on June 27, 2009 at 8:40 PM

thareb on June 27, 2009 at 8:16 PM

I heard that some feminists complained about Finding Nemo because the two female characters were a nitwit and an evil brat. LOL

Deanna on June 27, 2009 at 8:44 PM

The only thing that might…I say “MIGHT” salvage this idiots career is if she started having daily ranting speeches defaming Oooooobama.

I’d even tune in a couple times for that.

Spiritk9 on June 27, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I’m not the PC kinda guy, but I even cringed at the two robots in Transformers. They kind of redeemed the characters in the end when they fought the giant robot. Their comedic relief sequences were awful though.

They did use Barack’s foreign policy of appeasement at one point. That made me grin.

Chubbs65 on June 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM

At least Britney is smart enough to be a Republican, now tell me how stupid the rest of Hollywood must be.

lavell12 on June 27, 2009 at 9:40 PM

lavell12 on June 27, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Ah… yeah… good point. I’d probably rather have a Spears Republican over a MeggyMacker.

Upstater85 on June 27, 2009 at 10:41 PM

This is almost as frightening as an inexperienced, unqualified, dimwitted jackass becoming president.

So after living through Obama’s daily bedcrap, who really cares about this?

NoDonkey on June 27, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Ed, you should see the Transformers sequel. Really.

There is a direct criticism of Obama and his policies within the movie which is central to the plot. And they actually use Obama’s name, which is a little unusual.

Also, this is just a tremendously great movie, one of the best ever made. Don’t miss it.

TallDave on June 28, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Looks like AP’s robot fetish is rubbing off on Ed a bit, lol.

Hollowpoint on June 28, 2009 at 2:11 AM

Good Lord Morrissey!

You don’t appreciate stereotypical humor?

Lighten up, old fella!

It’s just as funny when Chris Rock makes fun of crackas!

Vanbasten on June 28, 2009 at 2:38 AM

Is the dog pictured in the main post a beagle named ‘Toby’?
/google gross out