Fox News “news coverage” of Jackson’s death includes full-length music videos without news

posted at 9:00 pm on June 25, 2009 by Allahpundit

If I hadn’t seen the clip myself, I wouldn’t have believed Ace’s post. The most charitable spin I can put on this is that Shep might have needed to sneak a bathroom break. Although even then, three minutes of commercials would have been more dignified.

It’s going to be a long, long week, kids. And if you think the media coverage is maudlin and insufferable now, just wait. This is the calm before the storm.

Update: Like I said in the other thread, this is going to be one interesting autopsy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

And by personal physician, they actually mean licensed drug pusher?

Thunderstorm129 on June 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Yeah. I’m thinking Anna Nicole…

I’m not gonna worry about it. I hope his soul is at peace and I hope for comfort for his family.

It’s a shame that so many of the most fortunate among us are so tortured. Money really can’t buy you happiness.

IrishEi on June 25, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Everyone should remember one thing: the same MSM that will be portraying MJ as a timeless artistic genius is the same MSM who marketed Obama as a great choice for POTUS.

SailorDave on June 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM

This just in: Actor Jeff Goldblum just died in an accident in New Zealand. He fell off a cliff while filming a movie.

kurtzz3 on June 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Are you serious?

LSUMama on June 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Phew, I got freaked out for a second…I love Jeff Goldblum (don’t look at me like that. I have thing for Invasion of the Body Snatchers.)

Emily M. on June 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Novel idea: News network dedicated to reporting the news as objectively as possible.

jazz_piano on June 25, 2009 at 9:30 PM

This would be Buckley’s version of Privately Funded NPR…

Upstater85 on June 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM

What in the hell does this have to do with Obama? There are some people here who need therapy. I mean that very, very seriously.

DaveS on June 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM

We know.

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM

I can’t believe they preempted The O’Reilly Factor FOR THIS! Hopefully it will come on later tonight…

Khun Joe on June 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM

And Germaine Jackson just said that his personal physician was with him when this happened. Something’s fishy.

IrishEi on June 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Perhaps but, if it was an MI he probably was not feeling well for an hour or more before it hit him hard and had called his doctor.

boomer on June 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Rational Thought on June 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM

nice someone having a rational thought…….ahh er…about this ummm thing.

SHARPTOOTH on June 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Janet Napolitano? Oh Hog, you are a sick ticket!

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM
Sicker than you suspected.

Janet (drumroll…) Reno.

Hog Wild on June 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Ugh..

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Are you serious?

LSUMama on June 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM

The Jeff Goldblum rumor is about as fake as powdered instant gumbo, LSUMama.

Marcus on June 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM

PS- Shep is a total girl.
Monica on June 25, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I call him the daughter his mother never wanted. Total hysterical wuss.

Patrick S on June 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I am finally at peace. Snatch on HBOZ, my favorite movie of all time, for the most part, and I didn’t even have to go digging thru the DVD collection.
It is a Christmas Miracle.

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:34 PM

When Sharpton came on with his drivel about how MJ was the victim of themusic industry’s racism, I swore off watching any more of it. Fox was stupid to give that SO8 a microphone.

Sloan Morganstern on June 25, 2009 at 9:34 PM

I think the problem we have with Fox’s coverage is due to the fact that some very serious pieces of legislation are about to be voted on that will affect us all in a very serious way. Jackson’s dead, so I doubt he cares about Cap and Trade.

Thunderstorm129 on June 25, 2009 at 9:35 PM

I almost prefer NPR to FoxNews.

(Running for cover as stones begin to fly . . .)

jazz_piano on June 25, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Khun Joe on June 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM

I’m not sure who is worse…..O’Reilly or Geraldo…

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Marcus on June 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Same thing came my way,..a 60 foot fall from the set of his new movie….so some words have it.

christene on June 25, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Geraldo is on Fox with live coverage of the body being flown by chopper to the coroner’s office. I can only shake my head and laugh.

Jim-Rose on June 25, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I’m not sure who is worse…..O’Reilly or Geraldo…

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Geraldo, by a narrow margin.

jazz_piano on June 25, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Obama will release a statement as soon as it has an adequate number of references to himself.

Chuck Schick on June 25, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Sloan Morganstern on June 25, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Yeah..half a billion in racist dollars thrown into his bank account against his will.

Thunderstorm129 on June 25, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Would somebody PLEASE start a thread in remembrance of Farah Fawcett, she was a strong woman with a good heart, a huge star in her own right & she also passed away today. Put her famous pin- up photo on the thread. She was a beautiful & talented woman, it seems unfair to me that a freak like Jacko gets all of this attention (may he also rest in peace) & none of the bloggers on HA have acknowledged her passing.

kg598301 on June 25, 2009 at 9:38 PM

kg598301 on June 25, 2009 at 9:38 PM

That reminds me of 1997, when the coverage of Princess Di’s death left Victor Frankl’s death almost completely overlooked.

jazz_piano on June 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM

I’m not sure who is worse…..O’Reilly or Geraldo…

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:36 PM

I’m with you, Hornet. I cannot stomach Geraldo at all, and O’Reilly is a pompous fool who gets worse every week. I think it was Rush who said O’Reilly was a “Ted Baxter.” So true. lol

IrishEi on June 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM

kg598301 on June 25, 2009 at 9:38 PM

A little history…the same thing happened to Groucho Marx who died the same time as Elvis Presley. Like Groucho, Farrah is definitely NOT getting her due. A real shame.

Jim-Rose on June 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM

kg598301 on June 25, 2009 at 9:38 PM

You would think Allah would pay hommage to a sex symbol, but he is, well, Allah.
So, why don’t we just forget that other guy that stole her thunder and remember Farrah.

*Pulls comb from too tight Jordache jeans and brushes hair into a feather do*
RIP Farrah Fawcett. You are home now.

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I am sorry for those who loved him, but otherwise, I don’t see the news worth of this death. Then, I didn’t see why Diana’s death got more coverage than did Mother Teresa’s. Upside-down world for sure.

MochaLite on June 25, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Fox News “news coverage” of Jackson’s death …

Wouldn’t know, as I tuned out about 6:15 when I saw it was preempting the 6:00 news.

Just checked back with FNC only to hear Jackson’s death will be covered all night long. Good grief, talk about jumping the shark. Yuck.

petefrt on June 25, 2009 at 9:42 PM

The good news is, I’m reading a book.

The TV coverage is unbearably bad.

PattyJ on June 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I’m not sure who is worse…..O’Reilly or Geraldo…

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:36 PM

IrishEi on June 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM

He lost me in 2006. And now, he is so full of himself that I cannot stomach him. I watch him on Wednesdays to see Dennis Miller, but usually, I’m on here or working from 6p to 9p….

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Fawcett, Jackson, and Cronkite within days of each other. Wow.

JohnJ on June 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I wrote to FOX and told them I wasn’t too pleased with their overdoing the coverage of his death especially with all the newsworthy things that were happening more important than this.

Tomorrow I’m calling my congressmen and asking how they are going to vote. I have their numbers on the wall in front of me. I don’t hold much hope though with my state though.

Miss Molly on June 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Maybe if MJ had bothered to spend a few of his millions on quality mental therapy and medication, he would not have continued to victimize himself unto death.

A victim is someone who cannot avoid being hurt. He could and should have known better.

I think I’ll save my prayers for the little kids who are now adults that he molested.

News over. Let’s get back the to real world.

tcn on June 25, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Khun Joe on June 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM

So such luck, Shlep the drama queen said earlier this crap is going to be on until 2 AM ET!!!

Someone please remove Geraldo from the studio.

HAHAHA… he just made reference to this being like Princess Di… he must be reading HA!!!

davek70 on June 25, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Which song will Elton John rewrite for the funeral?

I’m thinking “Daniel” will become “Michael”, that or he’ll do something with “Tiny Dancer”.

John_R on June 25, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Miss Molly on June 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM

My parents tried calling their congressmen all day, the lines were all busy. I think we need to pull an triple threat to their phone system…..Capandtrade, healthcare, and amnesty…..let’s make the phones explode!

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Fox News Alert….

“Update: Jackson’s body arrives at LA County Coroner’s Office……. by helicopter.”

Geraldo was talking so much he missed the transfer of his body…….

“We are waiting for the transfer……”

Seven Percent Solution on June 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I was pissed that I missed the news, Brett Baier and the panel. May God have mercy on his soul, but he was a pedophile. The only reason he wasn’t locked-up was money. Anyone that preys on children, I have no sympathy for.

Sam_I_Am on June 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Michael Jackson was a creative singer and dancer. But he was an entertainer. This crap always makes me mad. Kurt Kobain, Elvis Presely, John friggin Lennon. In the grand scheme of things their deaths are a drop in the pond of life.

Jackson was a pedophile and a head case. His music often reached the pinnacle of studio production (mega-kudos to Quincy Jones). But again, he was a freak.

Just wait until Europe and Asia wake up.. they wlll make American mourning displays look tiny.

Health care, cap & trade, UN treaty, car companies, TARP, etc. THIS is what we should be focusing on… but Im INSANE for even suggesting this.

cannonball on June 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I live in LA. Guess what’s going to be on the local channels 24-7. (oh yeah). On ABC, we just had a helicopter shot of the supposed helicopter taking the body away from the hospital to the coroner’s office. We may get to see the helicopter pilot go into the bathroom to take a dump. Stay tuned for further details. Right now there is a talking head talking about how emotionally fragile Michael may have been. Meanwhile, there are people on the other side of the world giving their lives to protest a corrupt election.

*sigh* Sometimes I hate this town.

unwashed minion on June 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I just went outside with my 11 y/o daughter to catch fireflies. She doesn’t know much about MJ and doesn’t care! I think I’ll leave it that way. Yup!

Story of how MJ is spotted playing poker with Elvis, Hoffa and Morrison on some deserted island in three, two, one………….

dddave on June 25, 2009 at 9:48 PM

*Pulls comb from too tight Jordache jeans and brushes hair into a feather do*
RIP Farrah Fawcett. You are home now.

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I used to wear my hair like Farah many moons ago. I was sad to hear of her passing. She surprised us all with her acting ability after Charlies Angels. She fought and inspiring hard and long battle with cancer and always with that beautiful smile of hers.

Miss Molly on June 25, 2009 at 9:48 PM

JohnJ on June 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Walter’s not gone to the big anchor desk in the sky yet.

Wolftech on June 25, 2009 at 9:49 PM

*sigh* Sometimes I hate this town.

unwashed minion on June 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM

No offense to L.A., but you hate the town sometimes?

I’m sure it’s got lots going for it, but I could never live there.

jazz_piano on June 25, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Maybe it’s my autism-but I don’t get this fawning over celebrities. Btw- Shifty Powers of Band of Brothers died on the 17th.
*salutes*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 25, 2009 at 9:49 PM

*sigh* Sometimes I hate this town.

unwashed minion on June 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I meant: You hate the town sometimes?

jazz_piano on June 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Can’t take this anymore. Geraldo Blows.

BPD on June 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Jim-Rose on June 25, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I wonder if Geraldo will start looking for MJ’s secret vault.

Miss Molly on June 25, 2009 at 9:51 PM

*salutes*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 25, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Now there’s a guy worth giving praise to!! Hear, hear!

*salutes as well*

Thunderstorm129 on June 25, 2009 at 9:51 PM

I went to Fox looking for the 6pmET news with Bret and the panel…

… after listening to Shep and Greta froth at the mouth in rapt adulation over ‘TKOP’, I had to flip to a movie.

rockbend on June 25, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Mainstream media is largely agenda-driven.

FoxNews is ratings-driven.

jazz_piano on June 25, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Exactly…just look at the number of comments on the MJ thread to your left as we ponder this question.

AUINSC on June 25, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Trust me………..

…….. before the week is out, this won’t compare.

Oh, and by the way,………

……… we will be under Martial Law.

Seven Percent Solution on June 25, 2009 at 9:53 PM

I understand Michael Jackson is an icon. But seriously… this is over the top coverage…. Am I a dick for thinking this?

Exit question: If Israel bombed Iran over the next couple of hours, would anyone notice?

BPD on June 25, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Dude, I was watching Shep this evening and when this came on I was like ‘wtf’

Weird for sure, and not a good song

ballz2wallz on June 25, 2009 at 9:53 PM

kg598301

I have a tribute posted for Farrah Fawcett on my blog:
“Our Beloved Farrah Has Passed Away”

luckybogey on June 25, 2009 at 9:53 PM

AUINSC on June 25, 2009 at 9:52 PM

We were all trying to outdo each other on how much we really could care less.
Kind of like a Seinfeld episode. A thread about nothing.

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:54 PM

There will be no waiting around — we’re told Michael Jackson’s autopsy will be performed by the L.A. County Coroner tomorrow.

Meanwhile, we have rape kits going unprocessed

I sure hope the city isn’t paying for this.

The Ugly American on June 25, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Thank Heavens for Michael Savage.
While the world comes to a halt with Michael Jackson and Fox News interviews Uri Gellar AGAIN, Savage led off with ridiculousness of NBC’s Andrea Mitchell doing an interview with actress Eddie Falco, who plays a nurse on her show “Nurse Jackie”, on ObamaCare and her “expert” opinion of socialized medicine.

Marcus on June 25, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Jim-Rose on June 25, 2009 at 9:37 PM

We just got home from dinner – pizza at a little mom-and-pop place near Wal Mart. Two televisions, and both tuned to Headline News. Nancy Grace was on (grrrrrrr) and she was shamelessly flogging this story for the entire hour we were there. Over, and over, and over…finally, someone must have tapped her on the shoulder and reminded her that there were, in fact, other items of note in the news today. “Oh, by the way – Farrah Fawcett passed away this morning. Now, back to nonstop coverage of the exterior of the hospital where Michael Jackson died…”

uncivilized on June 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM

It’s going to be a long, long week, kids.

Only if you watch TV. Turned off my satellite box two months ago and haven’t missed it yet.

Socratease on June 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM

It is bad enough they are covering this, what is even worse about it is Geraldo is the anchor. At least they got Shep off the air. It is so hard to hear him over his vajayjay.

milwife88 on June 25, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Fox News pre-empted Bill O’Reilly, and Hannity to cover the death of Michael Jackson. You’ve got to be kidding! Complete overkill, and another story beat into the ground as usual! Good grief, give me a break!

GFW on June 25, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Just flipped it to MSNBC… Olbermann is the anchor for MJ coverage… just blamed his death on right-wing extremists.

BPD on June 25, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Socratease on June 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Personally, I’m growing quite fond of HGTV and Investigation Discovery. News, not so much anymore.
As my grandson says, “G-Mom, are you watchin’ dead people again?”

uncivilized on June 25, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Geez Louise, people! Get a grip. Michael Jackson has been an iconic figure in pop culture for over 30 years. He just died young. It’s gonna get a lot of coverage. And given Fox’s kick-ass ratings just released today, like it or not they apparently know what they’re doing.

Rational Thought on June 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Very well said. I was very dissappointed and surprised with how things turned. He’s passed away now. No point to dragging him though the mud now.

EconomicNeocon on June 25, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Obama loading up TOTUS to make a statement on Michael Jackson…5.4.3.2.1…..?

After taking heat for making bland comments and going out for ice cream on Saturday while Iranians died in the streets, maybe Obama will stay mum and just go on a date with Michelle tonight.

marybel on June 25, 2009 at 10:00 PM

So…the NBA draft is going on.

portlandon on June 25, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Ahhhh… Greta on now… Geraldo was making me ill.

davek70 on June 25, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Gotta give Geraldo credit for honesty as he called it “intense coverage.”

Jim-Rose on June 25, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Spitty vs O’Reilly is kinda a toss-up to me.

Which one I dislike more…I would have to say Spitty.

F15Mech on June 25, 2009 at 10:03 PM

“Intense” = “repetitious”.

I didn’t watch the video for “Thriller” this much when it was brand new.

uncivilized on June 25, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Even CNBC had special segments on this junk.

Guess I’ll be an exclusive internet news guy for awhile.

Chubbs65 on June 25, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Please get this crap off of Fox! Where the Hell is my O’Reilly and Hannity shows? They have ruined my night for sure. Announce it and move on. I am 35, I was all into Michael in the ’80′s and had the ugly zipper jacket and all, but his later years and the little boy stuff was enough to erase any need for 24/7 coverage of his death. He is dead, MOVE ON>>>

TXMomof3 on June 25, 2009 at 10:04 PM

No one more exemplified the Hollywood sewer culture than Michael Jackson. Right now, NBC is busy building a monument to him, with AirHead Extraordinaire Ann Curry presiding.

Time to shut off the Hollywood sewerpipe for good. No more NBC. I’m done with the trash merchants.

james23 on June 25, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Lil’kim might get so bitter that he’ll nuke Seoul.

BPD on June 25, 2009 at 10:05 PM

As far as Shep needing a bathroom break, He’s been pissing his pants over this since it broke, it might be for something else he can do in the bathroom. This is just his kind of hard hitting journalism. Him and Geraldo.

R D on June 25, 2009 at 10:06 PM

I’m going on YouTube to look for “Man in the Tollbooth”-a spoof of “Man in the Mirror”.
I’m cold. See my earlier comment please.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 25, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Jesus Christ, people… you know the guy was acquited, right? I think he is a guy who was abused and psychologically tortured as a kid, who became hugely successful and spent all of his time (unhealthily) living the childhood he never had.

DaveS on June 25, 2009 at 10:06 PM

nnnngay.

Coronagold on June 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I am happier than a pig in congress right now…Snatch is on and I can watch Jason Stratham and not worry about what is on the Fox-MJ channel.
Fox is becoming a disgrace.

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Abe Vigoda has passed, too. Weird day.

splink on June 25, 2009 at 10:05 PM

No, he hasn’t.

uncivilized on June 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Its been twenty years since I though Michael Jackson was cool.
Shouldn’t they have just let him go silently into the night?
A footnote, not an extravaganza?

Count to 10 on June 25, 2009 at 10:08 PM

It’s always sad when someone dies, and I come to Hotair and realize how many truly horrible human beings comment here.

DaveS on June 25, 2009 at 10:08 PM

DaveS on June 25, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Hey Dave, I’m not trying to start a war or anything, but there are a lot of abused children that do not have questionable relationships with little kids. Abuse, however horrible is no excuse for his later actions.

TXMomof3 on June 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Holy crap. People act like Kennedy just died or something.

Where where you when John F Kennedy Michael Jackson died?

Kronkrite wept, will todays newscasters weep for him?

Is our culture SO devoid of decency that they will immortalize this Middle aged Asian woman “Man”?

portlandon on June 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM

I’m just thankful that Obama isn’t on TV

iceman1960 on June 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM

DaveS on June 25, 2009 at 10:08 PM

So, get the hell out of here, crybaby. Go call Geraldo. You can remember MJ together and hold hands.

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM

portlandon on June 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM

You made me laugh out loud.

jazz_piano on June 25, 2009 at 10:11 PM

TXmomof3
I was abused while growing up…and I agree with you 100%

annoyinglittletwerp on June 25, 2009 at 10:12 PM

jazz_piano on June 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Or when Johnnie Cochran, famous for being on O J Simpson’s “dream team” of lawyers, died from a brain tumor as the media vultures were circling Terry Schiavo during her last days.

Bigfoot on June 25, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Thanks for failing my little test. My faith in humanity – already near zero – has diminished further.

splink on June 25, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Gosh. Sorry.

uncivilized on June 25, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Who wants to lay money on the fact that Obama will react to this in less time than he did about atrocities in Iran and Veda?

TXMomof3 on June 25, 2009 at 10:12 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 25, 2009 at 10:12 PM

You are in my thoughts, I don’t have to know you. Recognition…..

TXMomof3 on June 25, 2009 at 10:14 PM

TXMomof3 on June 25, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Sure he will. This one’s easy; the guy’s already dead.

uncivilized on June 25, 2009 at 10:14 PM