Fox News “news coverage” of Jackson’s death includes full-length music videos without news

posted at 9:00 pm on June 25, 2009 by Allahpundit

If I hadn’t seen the clip myself, I wouldn’t have believed Ace’s post. The most charitable spin I can put on this is that Shep might have needed to sneak a bathroom break. Although even then, three minutes of commercials would have been more dignified.

It’s going to be a long, long week, kids. And if you think the media coverage is maudlin and insufferable now, just wait. This is the calm before the storm.

Update: Like I said in the other thread, this is going to be one interesting autopsy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

It’s also the top of the topics on Memeorandum… like a very twisted nationwide palate cleanser.

Siobhan on June 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Oh goody…2 weeks of this minimum.

AUINSC on June 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM

They’re going after ratings. Considering that both spellings of Michael are trending on twitter, they probably know what they’re doing.

jimmy the notable on June 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Aw, come on. Give ‘em a break. They’re all scrambling to cover this.

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Meanwhile, Iranians continue to be shot by the Basij.

Ho hum, oh well.

Oh yeah, and some U.S. soldiers died a few days ago as well.
But they PALE in comparison to the importance of Michael Jackson, right?

Give me a break.

nickj116 on June 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM

*stomach turning*

Upstater85 on June 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Excuse my language but Damn!

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM

I can only hope it moves down to the scroll sometime tomorrow.

sherry on June 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Cronkite is worth mourning and certainly worth some extended coverage. Sad to think he may soon be gone.

Thunderstorm129 on June 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM

MARK SANFORD IS A HAPPY MAN!

TimeTraveler on June 25, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Army Sgt. Ricky D. Jones, 26, of Plantersville, Ala., died June 21, 2009 in Bagram, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when his unit was attacked by indirect fire. He was assigned to the 1st Maneuver Enhancement Brigade, Fort Polk, La.

Army Spc. Rodrigo A. Munguia Rivas, 27, of Germantown, Md., died June 21, 2009 in Bagram, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when his unit was attacked by indirect fire. He was assigned to the 710th Brigade Support Battalion, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), Fort Drum, N.Y.

Army 1st Sgt. John D. Blair, 38, of Calhoun, Ga., died June 20, 2009 in Mado Zayi, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when a rocket-propelled grenade struck his vehicle. He was an Army National Guardsman assigned to the 1st Battalion, 121st Infantry Regiment, Lawrenceville, Ga.

nickj116 on June 25, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Fair and balanced don’tcha know.

People dying on the streets in Tehran, Korea threatening nuclear holocost, and Congress is about to make Gore Mania the law of the land…and all anyone can talk about is pop idols and pics of Governor Happypant’s mistress.

Just saying.

swede7 on June 25, 2009 at 9:06 PM

I turned on the TV to this…huge WTF moment.
Can someone get ahold of Murdoch please? It’s bad enough Shep was on for 3 hours today, but now we have Geraldo?! This is just tortuous!

Emily M. on June 25, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Neda was unavailable for comment.

HarryStar on June 25, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Thunderstorm129 on June 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Agree, and I actually feel sorry for Farrah Fawcett’s family. She was slightly overlooked today, understandable but still sad.

sherry on June 25, 2009 at 9:07 PM

But what’s the problem? Aren’t those videos the best way to remember him instead of Shep et al trying to come up with something to say like a combo Cronkite/JFK and that ABC sportscaster at Munich?

Anything is better than Al Sharpton et al and their banalities. I’m not a Jackson fan but he was an amazing child performer who never had a normal life. He really was talented, so why not show why he was famous?

I predicted that he would commit suicide years ago. I’m surprised he lived this long. What a mess.

fivefeetoffury on June 25, 2009 at 9:07 PM

MARK SANFORD IS A HAPPY MAN!

TimeTraveler on June 25, 2009 at 9:05 PM

TOTUS on the other hand, is not happy…. God forbid he’d be off the TV for more than a day….

davek70 on June 25, 2009 at 9:07 PM

PS: doesn’t the Gov’s mistress look a lot like… his wife??

Men, you confuse the heck out of me…

fivefeetoffury on June 25, 2009 at 9:07 PM

There is more important things going on in the world than to cover the death of a fading pop star who may or may not have committed foul acts with children, who leaves hundreds of millions of dollars of debt, and who leaves a legacy that if you do not like they way you look you can have countless surgeries until you no longer look human.

This deserves no more than a few minutes, not wall to wall coverage on every channel, but what else do you expect from our celebrity obsessed culture. Maybe it is time for the society to fail, so we can start again and get back on the proper path.

Wolftech on June 25, 2009 at 9:07 PM

They are going to turn this into a Princess Diana funeral come hell or high water. Is there any doubt The Messiah and MichelleMyBelle will attend?

Marcus on June 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM

It’s the Geraldo sob hour! Somebody get me a tissue. I might actually be able to squeeze out a tear.
Still no.
Going out to play with my vicious, black dog. He hates Geraldo, MJ, AND Al Sharpton!

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Hey Allah….you want to put money on how long it is before you get the complaints about this blog being all MJ all the time?

I give it until Tuesday.

Exit question: Was MJ a betamale?

csdeven on June 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Allah, I love you for this post alone. “Insufferable” indeed. I’m ashamed of Fox today for covering this when Iran is still in flames, jerkface (that’s my usual epithet for O) is pushing cap-and-trade and Obamacare, and THIS is what they cover wall-to-wall. I couldn’t believe that they had Shep break in on the last five minutes of Beck today merely to report that Jackson was in the hospital–something they’d already reported so it wasn’t actual “news”.

This would be awful in and of itself, but the fact that Jackson was a major freak makes Fox’s coverage that much more embarrassing.

Aslans Girl on June 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM

The Phillies are playing the Rays.

obladioblada on June 25, 2009 at 9:09 PM

i’ll bet oboobi is all torn up….

SHARPTOOTH on June 25, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I think I will refrain from watching Fox News, and a pervert grabbing his crotch for a while.

/just saying

F15Mech on June 25, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Oh goody…2 weeks of this minimum.

AUINSC on June 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Depends on the autopsy results and then the fighting over his estate.

csdeven on June 25, 2009 at 9:09 PM

obladioblada on June 25, 2009 at 9:09 PM

go phils

SHARPTOOTH on June 25, 2009 at 9:09 PM

We lost Farrah Fawcett today too, and she did more for the world the Micheal Jackson ever did. Where is her coverage?

And I agree about Cronkite. He is the last of the great news anchors.

Wolftech on June 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM

I’d rather watch 24 hour coverage of Boyle (sp?)

Upstater85 on June 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Good night sweet prince.

Blarg the Destroyer on June 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM

The House is set to vote on the biggest tax scam (Cap and Trade) in US history and the media will be airing MJ till we all have eye/ear bleeds. Rome is burning!

dddave on June 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM

This is our culture in a nutshell.

The government is trying to take over our lives and destroy individual liberty on a massive, unprecedented scale. It is vying for the power to literally dictate life and death decisions en masse.

…..

And we’re going to spend the week obsessing over a dead celebrity. While our leaders continue down this course.

…….

If these debacles pass, we as a nation, and as a people, thoroughly deserve it.

Hawkins1701 on June 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM

I’m about to join Obama and get off the 24 hour news cycle…

Upstater85 on June 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Why did they ask Geraldo of all people?!?! Shep at least is their main anchor, supposedly unbiased (yeah, right), but Geraldo is one of their pundits. Didn’t they have anyone else? Like Asman or Angle?

This is nuts!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM

csdeven on June 25, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I said minimum.

AUINSC on June 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM

It looks like every news channel is morphing into the freaking E channel.

I called every congressman in my state today begging them to vote no on Waxman-Markey. Most were said they were voting no. Thank goodness! A few (dems) said they were reviewing the latest CBO numbers. I assumed that meant biding their time for an eventual yes vote.

Call your representatives. Don’t let celebrity news make them think no one cares! PLEASE!

Monica on June 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Wolftech on June 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM

I guess Farrah isn’t beta male material.

csdeven on June 25, 2009 at 9:13 PM

CNN Janitor Wolf Blitzer was doing the same thing.

Del Dolemonte on June 25, 2009 at 9:14 PM

PS- Shep is a total girl.

Monica on June 25, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Not to sound too crazy… but could this all be a planned distraction from the Crap and Take bill?

Ok… that would be out there even for a ‘Birther’ to come up with.

Wolftech on June 25, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Shep is sick.The nerve of him talking about this child molester as if he was some kind of god is enought to make you throw up.Fox with the likes of Shep Smith and others will take this network down into the gutter along side Msnbc and Cnn.

thmcbb on June 25, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I said minimum.

AUINSC on June 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Yeah. I figured if the autopsy and estate were cut and dried, it would be mercifully over in a week.

But if I have to put money on it, I agree with you.

csdeven on June 25, 2009 at 9:14 PM

FOX IS WAY OFF ON THIS. TO LISTEN TO SHEPARD HE WAS THE GREATEST ENTERTAINER EVER WELL WHAT ABOUT ELVIS, FRANK SINATRA, BOB HOPE, AND WALT DISNEY ARE THEY LESS OF AN ENTERAINER THAN JACKO, OH I FORGOT THEY ARE ALL WHITE. SO FOX IS BEING RACISTS ON THIS NEWS EVENT

rone5847 on June 25, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Fox is totally disgracing itself with this Jackson idiocy.

progressoverpeace on June 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Clearly, this loser celebrity is more important for Fox to cover than Iran, Afghanistan, Obama’s destruction of health care, higher taxes and every single issue imaginable.

I watch Special Report all the time. Unfortunately, Fox today showed where its real interest lies. Sad!

I don’t give a hoot about Michael Jackson.

BillCarson on June 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Today is yet another reason why I thank God for HA and conservative blogs… not only is the news coverage ridiculous, but a lot of people’s reactions to this is as well. I go to some of non-political message boards everday (for hobbies I’m in to) and they’re all “sad” at his passing. “Sad”? They’re also “sad” for his kids losing their father. His kids will probably be better off now. People want to forget that he dangled his child over the balcony. Not to mention all the other freaky things about him. Coming here to vent and read the ventings of my fellow commentators has made me feel better.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I would rather watch Janet have a wardrobe malfunction.

/just sayin’

Hog Wild on June 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM

ET has a Pic of them trying to safe his life http://www.etonline.com/

TheBigOldDog on June 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Guys, chill with the feigned outrage that news media is covering this the way they are. Michael Jackson was an American pop culture icon whose stature rivals (or possibly exceeds) that of other (like Elvis). He is going to (rightfully) get the full media pile-on treatment.

DaveS on June 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Never heard of him; who is Michael Jackson exactly?

Bishop on June 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

SHEPARD SMITH IS NO LONGER ALLOW TO BE VIEWED AT MY HOME AS IS THE EGOTISTICAL OREILLY

rone5847 on June 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

#3 has just happened.
First Fawcett
Then Jackson.

This just in: Actor Jeff Goldblum just died in an accident in New Zealand. He fell off a cliff while filming a movie.

kurtzz3 on June 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I would rather watch Janet have a wardrobe malfunction.

/just sayin’

Hog Wild on June 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM

So you’re saying you’d rather watch Janet walk out of her house… Oh, you weren’t talking about Napoleon… Er… does it change things?

Upstater85 on June 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Even this debacle will get better ratings than Obama’s healthcare infomercial.

RedRedRice on June 25, 2009 at 9:18 PM

#3 has just happened.
First Fawcett
Then Jackson.

kurtzz3 on June 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

That’s been confirmed to be fa hoax. Goldblum is fine.

Thunderstorm129 on June 25, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Uhm, LOL, Jeff Goldblum dying is an internet hoax that started this afternoon after Jackson.

Marcus on June 25, 2009 at 9:18 PM

There is that whole concept of not speaking ill of the dead. If you can’t say anyting good, don’t say anything at all.

The one thing that is beyond question with Michael Jackson is that he was an amazing talent. RIP.

EconomicNeocon on June 25, 2009 at 9:18 PM

I would rather watch Janet have a wardrobe malfunction.

/just sayin’

Hog Wild on June 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Janet Napolitano? Oh Hog, you are a sick ticket!

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM

THink we could Obama to Beat It!

HoustonRight on June 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM

csdeven on June 25, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Heh…yeah. You know this is ratings gold…ugly stuff. MJ is going to get the full Princess Di.

AUINSC on June 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM

kurtzz3 on June 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Don’t forget Ed McMahon

TheBigOldDog on June 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM

WHAT A JOKE BIGGER THEAN ELVIS REALLY IF IT WERE NOT FOR ELVIS THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO JACKO THE CHILD MOLESTER

rone5847 on June 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM

I would rather watch Janet have a wardrobe malfunction.

/just sayin’

Hog Wild on June 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Upstater85 on June 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Damn. Great minds….Upstater85

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM

I, too, feel badly for Farrah not getting the coverage she deserves. I am truly sad for her passing. She seemed to have found the Lord in her last days.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM

And what an absolutely amazing performer this guy was.

DaveS on June 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM

I can hear the ME now…”I’ve…I’ve never seen anything like it. The body is all plastic.”

boomer on June 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM

(covering face in embarrassement)
I believed google and a local radio station. My bad.

kurtzz3 on June 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM

FoxNews just had a Jackson brother saying Michael was with “Allah”. Thank God I’ll never run into him for eternity.

Marcus on June 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Drug induced:

An Emergency Room source at UCLA hospital said Jackson aides told medics he had collapsed after an injection of potent Demerol — similar to morphine.

A Jacko source said: “Shortly after taking the Demerol he started to experience slow shallow breathing.

“His breathing gradually got slower and slower until it stopped.

txag92 on June 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM

kurtzz3 on June 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

3′s? What about Ed McMahon and David Carradine.

IrishEi on June 25, 2009 at 9:21 PM

The tragedy is that such phenomenal talent came in such a bizarre package. I don’t even remember the Liza Minelli phase apparent in that video. Where did that come from?

PoodleSkirt on June 25, 2009 at 9:21 PM

DaveS on June 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Hardly. Jackson was a freak, at best.

progressoverpeace on June 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM

I’m an old man and still remember how pissed off I was at CBS News the day John Lennon died. CBS devoted the entire 30 minutes to kissing Lennon’s you-know-what. That always bother me. If you had told me a week ago that the network that featured Brit Hume would devote an hour of Special Report, ignoring the socialist plans of the Dems, into order to kiss Jackson’s backside, I would have said you were crazy. Yet, here was FOX, trying to look like the NBC morning show.

BillCarson on June 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Am I supposed to act like the world lost a great gift? The world’s most famous child molester shuffled off his mortal coils.

SailorDave on June 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Glad I’ve got plenty of movie channels. Won’t be watching the “news” about the King of Pedophiles all week.

Star20 on June 25, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Hardly. Jackson was a freak, at best.

progressoverpeace on June 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Heck… I even <3 your pop-culture posts

Upstater85 on June 25, 2009 at 9:23 PM

“His breathing gradually got slower and slower until it stopped.

txag92 on June 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Hmmm. And Germaine Jackson just said that his personal physician was with him when this happened. Something’s fishy.

IrishEi on June 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM

kurtzz3 on June 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

He’s alive Jim. . .

jdkchem on June 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM

The tragedy is that such phenomenal talent came in such a bizarre package.

The really phenomenal talents are always freaks.

DaveS on June 25, 2009 at 9:25 PM

It’s going to be a long, long week, kids.

I worked for a music distributor when The King died. The day before he died we had packed up three truckloads of albums, 45′s, cassettes, and 8-tracks to ship back to RCA; the leftovers of a so-so successful Elvis sale. Well, the leftovers sold out in next 3 weekdays and the demand and volume continued for several weeks. When Lynard Skynard crashed two months later, MCA pulled back all the inventory and would not profit from the tragedy. What will Sony do?

ericdijon on June 25, 2009 at 9:25 PM

You KNOW Obama is pissed. Yesterday he had the whole day on ABC and came in last place in the ratings.

You also have to know that Obama will try and interject himself into this. His Ego CANNOT stand this.

“You know, I used can moonwalk too.”-Barry O’bama

portlandon on June 25, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Wolftech on June 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM

“Last of the great news anchors”? I don’t agree. He lied about the Tet Offensive and that helped America to lose her morale in ‘Nam. Not to mention the idiotic remarks he made just before the Iraq war (he actually wondered if our military could beat Saddam… HA!).

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM

IrishEi on June 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM

And by personal physician, they actually mean licensed drug pusher?

Thunderstorm129 on June 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Welcome to my world Wacko Jacko i have got a special place just for you.You are going to be my guest for a long long long time.

thmcbb on June 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM

portlandon on June 25, 2009 at 9:25 PM

p-ing my pants.

ericdijon on June 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM

PS: doesn’t the Gov’s mistress look a lot like… his wife??

Men, you confuse the heck out of me…

fivefeetoffury on June 25, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Doesn`t make sense does it?

LSUMama on June 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Geez Louise, people! Get a grip. Michael Jackson has been an iconic figure in pop culture for over 30 years. He just died young. It’s gonna get a lot of coverage. And given Fox’s kick-ass ratings just released today, like it or not they apparently know what they’re doing.

Rational Thought on June 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I week for this country more and more.

angryed on June 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM

What in the hell does this have to do with Obama? There are some people here who need therapy. I mean that very, very seriously.

DaveS on June 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM

and also weep

angryed on June 25, 2009 at 9:28 PM

The real question is if Obama can handle a news cycle that doesn’t revolve around him. I say no.

Lance Murdock on June 25, 2009 at 9:28 PM

It’s going to be a long, long week, kids.

Must….resist…horrible…joke.

OneGyT on June 25, 2009 at 9:28 PM

IrishEi on June 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM

The quote I heard on the reports that made me sit up as a physician are that “he was receiving dialysis recently but otherwise was healthy”. You are not healthy if you are receiving dialysis. 50 years olds don’t receive dialysis unless their kidneys are failing and that is one ill 50 year old.

Marcus on June 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM

portlandon on June 25, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Actually I think Obama is loving this. Just as the momentum was building against socialized health care, this comes along to distract the masses. Don’t be surprised is a bill is passed in the next couple of days while nobody is paying attention.

angryed on June 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Stop laughing Tito….

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Janet Napolitano? Oh Hog, you are a sick ticket!

HornetSting on June 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Sicker than you suspected.

Janet (drumroll…) Reno.

Hog Wild on June 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Well this might, sort of, change the subject and focus the mind pretty quick, me thinks…

Ahmadinejad win requires primed IDF

“The reelection of the Iranian president, his remarks on his intention to harm Israel, and his efforts to obtain unconventional weapons, require us to be prepared to deal with every threat, far away and nearby,” Ashkenazi said. “As the chief of general staff I know – only a strong and high quality IDF will keep war at bay and if necessary, will subdue the enemy and win.”

elduende on June 25, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Mainstream media is largely agenda-driven.

FoxNews is ratings-driven.

Novel idea: News network dedicated to reporting the news as objectively as possible.

jazz_piano on June 25, 2009 at 9:30 PM