Opening night get-together for The Stoning of Soraya M

posted at 10:10 pm on June 24, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

We’ve talked about the brilliant new movie from Mpower Pictures, The Stoning of Soraya M, for the last couple of weeks.  It opens on Friday in selected theaters across the country. How “selected”?  Only one theater in the Twin Cities will show it during its opening week — the Landmark Uptown in Minneapolis.

Mitch Berg and I thought this would make a great occasion to get the Minnesota Organization of Bloggers (MOB) together for an evening.  We plan to attend the 7 pm showing at the Landmark Uptown on opening night, one of the great, classic theaters of Minneapolis, and get the word of mouth going on this powerful film.  If you want to join us, just show up at the theater on June 26th.  If you’re a MOB blogger, be sure to put the invite up on your blog.  We want to get a big crowd to make a splash — and to get together, too.

Update: Here’s my interview yesterday with Navid Negahban, in the second half of TEMS:

Comments

Boo! Minneapolis?

I’m going opening night at the LANDMARK CENTURY: Chicago! Que sera sera! I’ll be there in spirit, Ed!

lansing quaker on June 24, 2009 at 10:16 PM

It’s not going to be anywhere near me. I hope it goes large enough to get wider distribution.

Cindy Munford on June 24, 2009 at 10:24 PM

I`ll eventually watch it!

There is no doubt,that this will be a
powerful,emotional,and moving film!:)

canopfor on June 24, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Hat tip Ed…
This is the product of a vile despicable ideology …

jerrytbg on June 24, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Ed, 7pm on opening night? Just want to make sure what day you mean.

thuljunior on June 24, 2009 at 10:35 PM

This is what will happen if we don’t sign up for Obamacare and pay our cap and trade taxes. He is one of them. He is evil.

suzyk on June 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM

It’s playing at:
Landmark Kendall Square Cinema
1 Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA 02139

for a full week at least.

Rebar on June 24, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Ed,
Thanks for the tip – i moved to Eden Prairie last month-should have been in downtown… lesson learnt.

nagee76 on June 24, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Hat tip ED…

This is a vile despicable ideology…

jerrytbg on June 24,2009 at 10:30PM.

jerrytbg: I fully agree jtbg,all the way back to the 2nd,or
3rd century!

Btw,awesome water vapor,and wind sites,again
thank-you:)

canopfor on June 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM

canopfor on June 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Anytime…btw…7th century is when the pedophile crawled out from under that rock…

jerrytbg on June 24, 2009 at 10:50 PM

It’s obvious that the women in Iran are leading the “Protests”…………

…….. to see them in the streets getting beaten and killed just sickens me.

Obama’s silence on this just tells me he is in a constant state of political calculation, and a political whore ………….

………. Michelle Obama’s silence on this after her public statements while traveling abroad, is telling, isn’t it?

Either you are with them………..

……… or you are not.

Seven Percent Solution on June 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM

We plan to attend the 7 pm showing at the Landmark Uptown on opening night

Good Gaia…bring your liberal repellent; uptown is awash with the freakiest granolefties that Minnesota has to offer.

At least in the old days we could go to Uptown and start fights with the punkers gathered in the library parking lot…ah the good ol’ days…but even those freaks got scared away by the Moonbats.

Bishop on June 24, 2009 at 11:01 PM

crawled out from under the rock…

jerrytbg on June 24,2009 at 10:50PM.

jerrytbg: 7Th century,hey,I wasn`t sure,noted,:)

canopfor on June 24, 2009 at 11:07 PM

I hope they expand the distribution soon. I really want to see this, but no theaters near me.

CP on June 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Anytime…btw…7th century is when the pedophile crawled out from under that rock…
jerrytbg on June 24, 2009 at 10:50 PM

It’s amazing how often bigotry and ignorance are found together. Islam was by no means the first religion to demand death by stoning as punishment for adultery.

hicsuget on June 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

hicsuget on June 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Then Jesus, the fricking foundation for Christianity, came around and told people to drop the stones.

Jeeze.

blatantblue on June 24, 2009 at 11:17 PM

hicsuget on June 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Yeah, amazing how many nations that aren’t muslim-government controlled still stone women for adultery; I can think of…well…let’s see there’s…uhh…uhhh…er….

Bishop on June 24, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Good Gaia.

Bishop on June 24,2009 at 11)!PM.

Bishop: O/T,re:P-51 Mustang early morning discussion!

Heres a great Aviation video website!

canopfor on June 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM

canopfor on June 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Hey thanks for the link, it looks like a good one; you can never see too many warplane vids.

Bishop on June 24, 2009 at 11:23 PM

hicsuget on June 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

So what the heck is that? A defense? Or just some stupid way to distract people from what they are critisising? I REALLY wish certain people will take a step back and just *listen.to. themselves.* for heaven’s sake. Do you ever listen to yourself hicsuget?

Ahem.

Nowhere near me is “selected.” I’m a wee bit jealous but I hope you guys bring enough tissues and gratitude and, well it’s a bit strange to say this given the film you’re about to watch, but have a nice time.

Waiting for the review…

fireweednectar on June 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM

I want to see it and of course it’s showing NOWHERE near me. So obnoxious.
I didn’t even recognize Caviezel. Amazing.

Ingenue on June 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Hey,thanks…..

Bishop on June 24,2009 at 11:23PM.

Bishop: This site is awesome! Find the video,of the P-51
at an air show,he does two dives,that sound like
a siren screaming Stuka dive bomber!!!

And,or,the start-up videos of the F-15 ThunderBirds
or my favorite,T-28 Trojan radial start-up!!

Enjoy!:)

canopfor on June 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Jeeze.

blatantblue on June 24, 2009 at 11:17 PM

And lo they brought before Jesus the woman accused of comitting adultery. They prepared to stone her according to the Law of Moses. Jesus addressed the crowd and said, “The one of you who is without sin may cast the first stone.” The shamed crowd drifted away in silence except for one frail, little old woman, and Jesus said, “Mother, you put that rock down this minute.”

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Teacher in Tejas on June 24, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Teacher in Tejas on June 24, 2009 at 11:35 PM

I’m glad you couldn’t!

Sometimes an infidel brotha like myself needs a little backup from his religious brothaz and sistaz

blatantblue on June 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM

fireweednectar on June 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM

By no means was that a defense of stoning anybody for any reason. I was merely suggesting that ire should be directed at all misogyny and at all religions, rather than just specifically at the misogyny of Islam. The murder of women with the sanction of “law” and of religion is abhorrent whenever and wherever it happens, and promoting a Fifth Crusade is not the way to stop it. Besides, to paraphrase John Bradford: there, but for the grace of the Enlightenment, go you.

Jeeze.

blatantblue on June 24, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Not quite. From the Sermon on the Mount:

17: Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.
18: For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

hicsuget on June 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM

canopfor on June 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM

I have an audio cd of nothing but WWII warbird engine-starts and fly-bys, my personal favorites being the B17 fly-by and the P51 starting its Merlin engine (as opposed to the anemic Allison).

I have a monster sound system in my garage and if I crank it way up on a fly-by audio track, it sounds like the real plane is flying just over the house. Nothing sweeter.

Bishop on June 24, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Islam is Islam. Always was…always will be.

Anyone who needs this “documentary” obviously has ignored over 1300 years of history.

awake on June 24, 2009 at 11:42 PM

I want to see it but I just don’t know if I can watch it. I want to see it but at the same time, don’t want to see it.

Dollayo on June 24, 2009 at 11:46 PM

The Koran says: Shaddup woman!

Woman says: Shaddup Koran.

May triumph go to the honorable.

profitsbeard on June 24, 2009 at 11:50 PM

lansing quaker
When will it be at the Century?
Maybe we can get some Chicago “Steamers” to meet up there.
I honestly thought that it would be opening in Chi on the first of NEVER!

annoyinglittletwerp on June 25, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Attention Muslim Women: It is time to rise up. Rise Up I say. Rise Up the World Over. Fight now for your liberty. You can do it.

Geochelone on June 25, 2009 at 1:30 AM

I am going to see this movie. It is too important.

Geochelone on June 25, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Not even a cause as good as this could get me to go to Uptown.

But I’ll just use the excuse that I moved away instead. It makes me seem less judgmental.

MNExpatriate on June 25, 2009 at 1:33 AM

hicsuget on June 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM

LOL @ your attempt to compare Western misogyny to this filth.

Newsflash: Most people do indeed critisise this sort of act wherever it appears, in Islamic circles or not. And, as someone else referenced, have you notised a little quirk? Wherever it pops up these days it seems to always be in Islamic circles. That common denominator is way too un-subtle for me. You’re the one promoting the fifth century when you fail to condemn this act.

You remind me of people who condemn those critical of e.g. honor killings–always the first to cry, “Oh and I suppose there are no murders in the West or Christianity?” while you fail to notise that murders perped by Westerners are condemned by Westerners. Those Jordanian honor killings, though, seem to get a lot of praise from society. The critics seem to be in short supply over there.

So get off your high horse and stop acting like those critical are bigots–the only way you know to distract from something that has absolutely no defense.

fireweednectar on June 25, 2009 at 2:58 AM

It takes a village to stone a woman to death.

Islam needs a reformation to end its brutality, oppression and warfare against non-conformists and non-believers. Hopefully, this movie and the Iranian uprising will encourage such a reformation.

Loxodonta on June 25, 2009 at 3:54 AM

Looks intriguing. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll go check it out at the Denver showing.

LiquidH2O on June 25, 2009 at 4:24 AM

That looks good!

Eyvonne on June 25, 2009 at 7:04 AM

early in the war when our forces hadn’t reached the heart of Baghdad as of yet, I saw a paticularly nasty comment scroll by in an AOL chatroom.
It said something to the effect that POW Jessica Lynch was servicing multiple jihadis out in a tent behind the casbah.
I hadn’t even heard the name before.
This was during the time when the cable news outlets were running their daily toteboard of KIA soldiers in Iraq.
POW lists weren’t being updated or commented. She might have been listed as MIA, but she wasn’t a news item.
I thought the person in the AOL chat was having me on with a bit of sick humor, that he had made a name up out of the thin air, so I started to play along.
I told him that any soldier captured in Iraq would be covered by the Geneva convention, and if he had any doubt of the outcome of the war he should take care to treat prisoners well. He came back with “How do you think we are treating her?” I answered, “Just like you treat your own women.”
This was a little bit of a dig on my part, poking the fellow in the eye with the Muslim world’s renown misogynism.

Two days later Pfc Lynch was rescued from a hospital in Nasiriya, where she had been cared for by the locals in the best manner available, just as if she were an Iraqi woman.

I think about that when I find my inner bigot rearing it’s head.
I think we hear stories about stonings in Islam because they are an oddity, and the actions of a few sick people in power in an isolated village, who took pains to cover up their deed, are not a good basis for judging a whole society.

It would be like judging America by Michael Moore movies, or New York Times articles…

papertiger on June 25, 2009 at 7:50 AM

Loxodonta on June 25, 2009 at 3:54 AM

Yea, well except that Islam can never have a reformation because the Prophet (Pig Piss be upon him) claimed that everything he said was perfect and any change would be an abomination.

doriangrey on June 25, 2009 at 8:06 AM

It does not come out until July 10 out here. I will be there to watch it. I hope that this act never becomes legal under the POTUS

Conservican on June 25, 2009 at 9:01 AM

hicsuget on June 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Wow, I guess you just destroyed Christianity with your unique and novel attack.

Heaven and earth did pass away, genius, when Christ made all things new. Read Galatians and Hebrews. They’re in the Bible.

Akzed on June 25, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Shohreh Aghdashloo, who is the lead in this movie, is not a bad looking older woman, but her 3 pack a day voice is like instant limpitude. Step away from the Newports honey.

RWLA on June 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM

“I was merely suggesting that ire should be directed at all misogyny and at all religions, rather than just specifically at the misogyny of Islam.”

hicsuget

Pish posh. Women are still being stoned today primarily under the dictates of a particular religion. A person with both a heart and a brain who wanted to solve this problem would attack the problem as it exists today, and not do so on a purely historical and hermeneutic level as you seem to want to do.

The thrust of Jesus’ message was salvation, peace, meekness, and don’t-throw-stones. Jesus said love one another.

The thrust of Mohammed message was hierarchy: 1) Muslims>people-of-the-book>atheists-and-polytheists and 2) Men>women. Mohammed was a warrior who took women and underage girls for himself as booty.

Not only that, but much as Forrest Gump’s says about stupid, a religion is as a religion does. Women are stoned under Islamic law today, whereas they are not under “Christian” law.

So, you are wrong both on a theoretical and on a practical level regardless of how much hairsplitting you are willing to do.

If you worked for the CDC and were on a task force to address the problem of H1N1 swine flu, would you tell the task force not to be aggressive on H1N1 because of your concerns about the 1976 strain and that the task force really should be taking on all infectious diseases wherever they might occur? That’s nuts. That’s a recipe for paralysis. And your analogy that putting critical pressure on Muslims to end the practice of stoning is the equivalent of a “Fifth Crusade” is disgusting. Do you realize what a pain in the ass morally vain individuals such as yourself are to people who are actually trying to get stuff done?

shazbat on June 25, 2009 at 12:10 PM

And I have to wait until July 10th.

There better be some thorough reviews after Fridays showing!

Rogue Traveler on June 25, 2009 at 12:39 PM