White House: Cairo speech inspired the Iran uprising

posted at 9:28 am on June 23, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

No, I’m really not kidding about this.  The Washington Post has the story:

But Obama’s shades-of-gray approach rejects comparison to an era when Communist bloc dissidents had virtually no access to the Western media and the world was more neatly divided between a pair of superpowers, not complicated by the set of ambitious regional powers such as Iran that the Obama administration is seeking to manage.

Since taking office, Obama has argued that reclaiming America’s moral authority by ending torture and closing the prison at Guantanamo Bay provides essential diplomatic leverage to influence events in such strategic parts of the world as the Middle East and Central Asia. The speech he delivered to the Islamic world in Cairo eights days before the June 12 Iranian election sought to do that by providing what the president saw as an unvarnished accounting of U.S. policy in Iran, Iraq, and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

“We’re trying to promote a foreign policy that advances our interests, not that makes us feel good about ourselves,” said a senior administration official who, like others, declined to be identified, citing the sensitivity of the issue.

Obama’s approach to Iran, including his assertion that the unrest there represents a debate among Iranians unrelated to the United States, is an acknowledgment that a U.S. president’s words have a limited ability to alter foreign events in real time and could do more harm than good. But privately Obama advisers are crediting his Cairo speech for inspiring the protesters, especially the young ones, who are now posing the most direct challenge to the republic’s Islamic authority in its 30-year history.

This is the most despicable, self-serving, and arrogant spin I’ve seen yet from this White House, and that’s saying something.  Obama gave a speech, and suddenly the people of Iran discovered that they’re being ruled by tyrants?  Never mind that two weeks passed between the speech and the uprising, and that the very obvious trigger for the unrest was the incompetent manner in which the mullahs rigged the election for Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.  Never mind the fact that this President took a full week to even sound like a watered-down Nicolas Sarkozy, let alone the leader of the free world.

This is very obviously an attempt at damage control.  Obama has gotten hammered for staying behind the curve of Western leaders in the defense of liberty, freedom, and human rights.  He has preferred to stay on the sidelines in the hope that silence will make the mullahs like him enough to grant him an audience, while Sarkozy, Angela Merkel, and the Brits slam the mullahcracy for its brutal treatment of political opposition.  Now, suddenly, Obama wants to claim credit for getting their first with his Cairo speech — which had nothing to do with overthrowing mullahs, and in fact had only a passing mention of democracy as an official US policy in the Middle East.

On the grand scale of things, I’d say that the establishment of democracy in Iraq had more influence on the Iranians than anything Obama’s managed to say, and I wouldn’t go so far to make it a proximate cause, or much more than a tertiary influence, after the stolen election and decades of repression by the mullahs.

Besides, how impressed do you think Iranians are with Obama’s open invitation to the mullahs for a 4th of July BBQ?  Think that inspires them to demand liberty?

Despicable, and shame on the Washington Post for not calling them on it.

Update: I meant to write two weeks, not two months, between the Cairo speech (6/4) and the uprising.  It’s fixed.

Update II: Jim Geraghty makes a great point:

Remember how it was important to recognize that these protests in Iran were triggered by ordinary Iranians’ response to the election, and it was important for the U.S. government to be quiet, soft-spoken, and understated in its response to evolving events? Remember when the most important thing was that the Iranians, and the world, conclude that this uprising was generated entirely by internal sources?

Yeah, apparently that’s no longer the case.

So now can we get a full-throated cry of support for freedom and liberty from the supposed leader of the Free World?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Time for our own uprising.

ctmom on June 23, 2009 at 9:35 AM

The White House’s view on this issue is proof positive that liberalism is a mental disorder.

WordsMatter on June 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM

No, I’m really not kidding about this.

Thank goodness you put this as the first line. As I clicked the headline, Iwas saying, “No Way!” to myself. The me, myself, and I President.

WashJeff on June 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM

“We’re trying to promote a foreign policy that advances our interests, not that makes us feel good about ourselves,” said a senior administration official who, like others, declined to be identified, citing the sensitivity of the issue just how ridiculous the statement sounded.

myrenovations on June 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM

You know what, I’m glad to hear it. Dancing on a martyred 16 years old’s grave. Yes, keep talking.

Marcus on June 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM

What a freakin tool. The BS mill hard at work.

BobK on June 23, 2009 at 9:38 AM

I don’t hear anybody saying that perhaps a newly democratic Iraq might be a major influence in current events in Iran. Of course, there’s no way GW might have given a taste of freedom to the Middle East…only WORDS can do that.

pecan pie on June 23, 2009 at 9:38 AM

crediting his Cairo speech for inspiring the protesters…

Terminal hubris.

petefrt on June 23, 2009 at 9:38 AM

“Inspired” in the sense that the protesters are rebelling against the Ahmadinejad/Obama coalition?

EconomicNeocon on June 23, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Coming from a man who is aching to take credit for anything and everything, including halting the rising seas, can we really be that surprised?

Sheerq on June 23, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Gag me with a spoon.

(As for our Precedent inspiring uprisings, I have my own protest plans.)

tree hugging sister on June 23, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Unbelievable.

publiuspen on June 23, 2009 at 9:39 AM

O-rrogance…sweet! I said that weeks ago!

ladyingray on June 23, 2009 at 9:39 AM

AP commented yesterday about the 4th of July invites being a new low point for the Ogabe regime, could this stupidity take its place?

What next, Michelle Ogabe’s bared arms persuaded millions of Iranian women to hit the streets and demand their rights?

We don’t have a President we have an Ego. Thanks 52%, your guilt and gullibility gave this nation a real doozy of a leader.

Bishop on June 23, 2009 at 9:39 AM

No one in this world loves Obama more than Obama himself. Something negative happens, it was Bush’s fault. Something positive and he takes the credit. What a puke.

suzyk on June 23, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Well, on the flip side, his speeches are inspiring lots of protests in the US as well. They’re called Tea Parties…

beatcanvas on June 23, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Obama also saved or created 1,000,000 jobs today.

Daggett on June 23, 2009 at 9:40 AM

I miss W.

publiuspen on June 23, 2009 at 9:40 AM

I think the ABC (All Barack Channel) infotainment on healthcare will be America’s “Cairo Speech” which will see thousands protesting on Main Street USA…..I just hope they don’t send out ACORN with census ballots to battle us with.

izoneguy on June 23, 2009 at 9:40 AM

The Iranian protesters were inspired by his trip to the icecream parlor./

Disturb the Universe on June 23, 2009 at 9:40 AM

But privately Obama advisers are crediting his Cairo speech for inspiring the protesters…

I can see it now, a bunch of young “brown noses”, sitting around.
“Yeah Obama, you’re the man, you are the one who inspired him…hey I said that the other day first…no I mentioned it when he was actually speaking…when I suggested that one line I was thinking of these guys…Obama you’re the greatest, you inspire everyone…you are so smart, sliding that into your speech only the wisest would have caught on…”
Oh My God…what a joke Obama has surrounding him.

right2bright on June 23, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Will Obama hold’s the mullah’s feet to the fire? No.
Will he hold a hot dog to the fire for the mullah’s? Yes.

WashJeff on June 23, 2009 at 9:41 AM

I don’t think democracy is the influence but rather the desire to end tyrannical oppression.

shick on June 23, 2009 at 9:41 AM

In addition, forgot this. That uprising in Iran is the direct result of Bush’s plan to bring democracy to the Mideast. Those young people want what Iraq has. Obama said Iraq was a failure when Bush was doing it. What is going on in Iran now is because of George W. Bush not the Messiah.

suzyk on June 23, 2009 at 9:41 AM

And never mind that the real inspiration likely came from across the border, where that ‘evil Boooosh’ managed to arrange for them to have something resembling honest elections. All those purple fingers couldn’t possibly have anything to do with it.

michaelo on June 23, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Maybe tey’d be able to see things more clearly if they climbed out of the Obama tank…

THis is revolting spin, that the post has the nerve to try and sell…

Well I’m not buying!

RocketmanBob on June 23, 2009 at 9:41 AM

This is going to make the Obama 4th of July BBQ a little awkward.

Asher on June 23, 2009 at 9:42 AM

So which is it, you administration boobs? Does Obama meddle or not? Are we to believe that he’ll meddle enough to start a revolution, but then wont meddle to support what he, by your own spin, caused. Idiots! Liars! But hey, pass the burgers and dogs, right?

Weight of Glory on June 23, 2009 at 9:42 AM

pecan pie on June 23, 2009 at 9:38 AM

GW puts in place the catalyst for change in the middle east, and the (thugocracy enabling) messiah takes the credit, and will likely get most of the credit form the kool-aid gang (aka, formely known as the press). I hear The Won will be mixing up and passing out more kool-aid this afternoon. Weird times, these.

WordsMatter on June 23, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Geraldo was saying this days ago on Fox…seriously

jp on June 23, 2009 at 9:42 AM

I agree with this.

Despicable, and shame on the Washington Post for not calling them on it.

Seriously, Ed? You really expect the Washington Post to do this?

ladyingray on June 23, 2009 at 9:42 AM

In a very strange (and unintended) way, I do think the combination of George W. Bush’s freedom agenda in Iraq and Afghanistan coupled with the election of Obama may indeed have influenced the Iranian uprising.

On the other hand, the Iranian uprising may be completely unrelated to any outside influence.

It is impossible to say.

sayabule1 on June 23, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Assuming for a moment that his speech was the inspiration for the uprising, then his subsequent timidity on the subject is equivalent to Bush 41′s neglect of the Iraqi Kurds and Shiites after Gulf War I.

flipflop on June 23, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Obama also saved or created 1,000,000 jobs today.

Daggett on June 23, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Unfortunately they are all in Iran, and all the openings are because the workers are on strike and got fired. But hey, millions of job openings are millions of job openings, right? Obama can take credit here, just like he did the revolution in general, and it may be the most concrete formulation of jobs created yet!

Ferris on June 23, 2009 at 9:42 AM

…let alone the leader of the free world hotdogs.

There. Fixed it.

Weight of Glory on June 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM

I watched that video where Obama kinda defends and, not because he defended Bush, but because of his reaction to that ridiculous reporter, I liked him, for about 5 seconds.

This article just reminds me to never watch anything that man says. He is a despicable person with the tongue of Saruman.

amkun on June 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Never mind that two monthsweeks passed between the speech and the uprising,

CarolynM on June 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM

The Sophist strikes again…

mjbrooks3 on June 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Actually in a twisted logic sort of way the Cairo speech could be seen as a catalyst for what is going on in Iran. Obama does not understand that Iranians understand that Obama could care less about them. Obama’s Cairo speech said that they respect radical Islam and would love to work with the mullahs to keep the population of Iran in check. That is what the students heard and realized Obama would not help them like George Bush helped Iraq.

izoneguy on June 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM

“I might be too awesome” Barry O

Cinematicfilm on June 23, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I’m not sure which is scarier. That the Obama people think that the public will buy this steaming pile because of the media with a school girl crush, or that the Obama folks may actually believe this is true.

trubble on June 23, 2009 at 9:44 AM

This is skateboard diplocmacy. Obama has mastered the half-pipe of self-promotion.

EMD on June 23, 2009 at 9:44 AM

WordsMatter on June 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Savage was dead on.

moonbatkiller on June 23, 2009 at 9:45 AM

The me, myself, and I President.

WashJeff on June 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM

And I’m certain George Harrison was inspired by Obama when he wrote this song many years ago:

All thru’ the day i me mine, i me mine, i me mine.
All thru’ the night i me mine, i me mine, i me mine.
Now they’re frightened of leaving it
Ev’ryone’s weaving it,
Coming on strong all the time,
All thru’ the day i me mine.

I-me-me mine, i-me-me mine,
I-me-me mine, i-me-me mine.

All i can hear i me mine, i me mine, i me mine.
Even those tears i me mine, i me mine, i me mine.
No-one’s frightened of playing it
Ev’ryone’s saying it,
Flowing more freely than wine,
All thru’ the day i me mine.

I-me-me mine, i-me-me mine,
I-me-me mine, i-me-me mine.

All i can hear i me mine, i me mine, i me mine.
Even those tears i me mine, i me mine, i me mine.
No-one’s frightened of playing it
Ev’ryone’s saying it,
Flowing more freely than wine,
All thru’ your life i me mine.

Disturb the Universe on June 23, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Hey, the sun came up today. Score another for Barry.

Vashta.Nerada on June 23, 2009 at 9:45 AM

The libs have a ruthlessly predictable tin ear when it comes to what the general population will buy.

Now if only Obama would actually say he sparked the revolution in Iran with a speech, it would immediately become his “I invented the Internet” moment.

LibTired on June 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Obama’s open invitation to the mullahs for a 4th of July BBQ?

Pork chops–yum!

jgapinoy on June 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

White House: July 4th Invitation in support of the dictatorship of Iran inspired the Iran uprising. How convenient that Mr. Kadivar gives Obama until August to gain a spine.

oops

Or, as Mr. Kadivar simplified it for me in an interview in the back of his van, “There are two interpretations of Islam. The aggressive Islam of Ahmadinejad, or the mercy Islam of Mousavi.”
Religion of Peace In Iran, a theological state is challenged on theological grounds, by Bret Stephens

OK, Kadivar is promoting his friend Mousavi, understood. But how does Mr. Kadivar explain his synopsis supporting the Obama administration’s hands-off policy, given the open invitation that Pres. Obama persists in promoting with the Iranian Velayat e Faqih regime?

The Velayat e Faqih serves as the rationale for the near-dictatorial powers enjoyed by the Supreme Leader.

“The principle of Velayat e-Faqih is neither intuitively obvious nor rationally necessary,” Mr. Kadivar wrote. “It is neither a requirement of religion nor a necessity for denomination. It is neither a part of Shiite general principles nor a component of detailed observances. It is, by near consensus of the Shiite Ulama, nothing more than a jurisprudential minor hypothesis.”

Which makes it all the more essential that a regime that has lost its legitimacy in the eyes of its people not recover it through international recognition. Mr. Kadivar praises President Obama’s “no meddling” stance so far, but insists the president not recognize Mr. Ahmadinejad’s government once its second term officially begins in August. He shouldn’t hold his breath. As for the green revolutionaries, they will soon find out what consolation, or strength, they draw from knowing God is on their side, with or without America.

maverick muse on June 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Damn, I hit “Submit” before I meant to. Ed, didn’t mean to nitpick, I just don’t want the trolls jumping on the mistake.

CarolynM on June 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

It’s just his way of voting ‘present’, his response to everything, evade any possibility of being wrong and then take credit for any positive outcome.
Remember how he disappeared from view when the financial crisis hit? This idiot is a follower from a distance not a leader.

ligneus on June 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

What a POS. His self congratulatory manner make me want to spit. I truly despise obama.

Keyser-Soze on June 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

EMD on June 23, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Or Sandbox diplomacy.

Firebird on June 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

VDH has been all over Obama lately

jp on June 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

So if his speech caused this uprising, isn’t that the very definition of meddling? Doesn’t that mean that Obama IS the foil that will be used to suppress the uprising. Good god these people are so full of themselves.

exceller on June 23, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Can you hear the sound of liberal heads everywhere popping as they try to reconcile their days of ragging conservatives for cheering on the protesters with their Golden Calf’s new claim here?

Patrick S on June 23, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Faster than a speeding train,able to leap tall buildings,look up in the sky,it’s a plane,it’s a bird ,no it’s SUPERBAMA.

easyone on June 23, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Does anyone beyond the MSM whores even remember the Cairo speech? I tried reading a partial transcript but my eyes dried up from boredom and popped out onto the desk. The speech wasn’t exactly on par with Reagan’s Berlin Wall masterpiece.

Bishop on June 23, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Do you suppose the women of Iran were inspired by the line in The Speech that said, “Hey, we totally respect that whole covering up the women stuff. Our courts even protect your right to cover up your women. Good times.”

myrenovations on June 23, 2009 at 9:47 AM

or that the Obama folks may actually believe this is true.

trubble on June 23, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I think they do. After all the world was created at 12:01PM Jan. 20, 2009. Anything prior to that we just imagined.

sherry on June 23, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Reprehensible.

jaschenb74 on June 23, 2009 at 9:47 AM

No, I’m really not kidding about this.

Never thought I would see the day when something that should be in The Onion was instead in the WaPo.

Del Dolemonte on June 23, 2009 at 9:47 AM

“Everything good, I did it.
Everything bad, Bush did it.”

itsnotaboutme on June 23, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Ah, well there you go. He’s not “meddling” (or hiding like the amoral, unprinciples schmuck he really is) but “managing” and “inspiring”. If he really believes this, he’s not just narcissistic but freaking delusional.

ProfessorMiao on June 23, 2009 at 9:47 AM

The Narcissist In Chief feeds his ego yet again.

Imagine if Bush had done this. The press would have ripped him to shreds (as usual)

William Teach on June 23, 2009 at 9:47 AM

This statement is proof that sometimes quoting a “senior administration” official is a bad thing…all I can say is shame on the White House and shame on the Washington post for even printing this garbage

JKotthoff on June 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM

right2bright on June 23, 2009 at 9:40 AM

I think you found the root cause. Big Guy’s handlers have been stroking his ego so much for so many years that he belives everything they say about him. A true Manchurian Candidate President.

KS Rex on June 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM

This is a direct spat in the face of everyone who has sacrificed in Iraq.

This clown pisses me off more each day.

cntrlfrk on June 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM

That’s ok, the State Department under “the smartest woman in the world” is so clueless they’ll give the Iranians hot dogs that contain pork.

Webrider on June 23, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Could the behind the scene advisors be more specific (rhetorical) and point out the passages that encouraged these folks to ignore their safety and take to the streets? The press is an enabler.

Cindy Munford on June 23, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Riiiight. Have another one!

t.ferg on June 23, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Or Sandbox diplomacy.

Firebird on June 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Welcome to Camel lot.

ICBM on June 23, 2009 at 9:50 AM

I think Ed or AP made the point the other day that if Obama really did inspire these people to take to the streets and demand freedom then doesn’t he have an obligation afterward to at least give them a little support or encouragement.

Nothing like inspiring a revolution (Cairo speech) and then sitting idly by and watching it get crushed.

The truth is they knew the Cairo speech had no bearing on this situation or else they would have gone the whole way and given full-throated support for the protesters. It’s more accurate to say they were caught flat-footed and had no idea how to respond for over a week because they were wedded to the idea of negotiating with the current regime.

Watch for Obama to take credit for the uprising in his press conference today. A great question today would be for a reporter to simply ask him “Do you hope the protesters overthrow the current regime in Iran?” See if he will actually commit to the revolution that he supposedly inspired.

JohnInCA on June 23, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Webrider on June 23, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Nah, Hebrew National dogs.

myrenovations on June 23, 2009 at 9:50 AM

myrenovations on June 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Heh, excellent correction.

Michael in MI on June 23, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I am so sick of his most recent mantra “as I said in my Cairo speech.” This clown seems to think it the equal of the Gettysburg Address. He really loved that speech.

obladioblada on June 23, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Never mind that two monthsweeks passed between the speech and the uprising,
CarolynM on June 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Good catch, Carolyn. Ed, you should correct that. I think the shorter time frame makes Obama’s claim less rather than more credible; the signs of discontent were there long before Obama opened his yap to distort history in Cairo.

ProfessorMiao on June 23, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I had been waiting for this spin, but didn’t want to mention it, just in case they had not thought of it yet. (yea, right). But alas, it has happened – everything is always about “THE ONE”. I thought Clinton (Bill) was good at this, but this clown takes the cake.

texasaggie on June 23, 2009 at 9:51 AM

VDH has been all over Obama lately

jp on June 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

VDH is the man. I’m sure he’ll have something to say about this (though Ed pretty much said it all) and the press conference later today.

CarolynM on June 23, 2009 at 9:52 AM

President Obama has had his a*s kissed his whole entire life. This is the results of never getting any negative feedback. We are going to have millions of these people soon.

Oil Can on June 23, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Just like abandoning your kids inspires them to be self-reliant.

tomg51 on June 23, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Arrogance thy name is Obama

cmsinaz on June 23, 2009 at 9:52 AM

This guy’s spin machine will take a back seat to no one. Clinton can only admire the high level of horse-squeeze that comes out of this WH. Truly unbelievable.

av8tr on June 23, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Nah, Hebrew National dogs.

myrenovations on June 23, 2009 at 9:50 AM

They answer to a higher authority Obama.

LibTired on June 23, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Disturb the Universe on June 23, 2009 at 9:45 AM

and Carly Simon’s inspiration prophetic.

maverick muse on June 23, 2009 at 9:53 AM

I’m reminded of the Pathological Liar skit Jon Lovitz used to do on SNL in the 1980s.

“Yeahhhh, that’s the ticket.”

I’m waiting for the WH to release details that Obama has been dreaming up his approach since he was a freshman at Occidental in late 1979 when Iran took our embassy officials hostage.

BuckeyeSam on June 23, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Welcome to Camel lot.

ICBM on June 23, 2009 at 9:50 AM

I like that. It really fits.

ProfessorMiao on June 23, 2009 at 9:53 AM

This is clearly an attempt at damage control as several have mentioned Obama’s timid response to the Iranian uprising.Even Sarkozy looks tougher. The idea that Obama’s response has been “pitch perfect” as John Kerry said isn’t selling outside of MSNBC and the democratic party. Contrast Obama’s timid response with the forceful response of a real leader Ronald Reagan who supported the Polish people when they wanted to break free of communist rule.

Hera on June 23, 2009 at 9:53 AM

I miss W.

publiuspen on June 23, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Heck – I miss Bill.

a wise man once said:

First pride, then the crash—
the bigger the ego, the harder the fall.

if president Arrogance is responsible for the uprising is he also responsible for the deaths?

poppieseeds on June 23, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Last Thursday evening my bride were at the ballpark watching the Texas Rangers. Great seats behind home plate. President Bush and Laura attended the game, and were in a suite right above us.

Now, I think I disagreed with GWB 287 times the last three years, but seeing his truly self-effacing, almost embarrassed shrug and nod as the stadium gave him a standing ovation… seeing the always classy Laura looking… well… happy (my wife was pleased that they caught each others eye and waved)…

I’m not sure if I was more pleased that the man and his wife are back home, out of the grinder, and able to be the guy we knew when he was governor, or saddened by the stark comparison to the current first couple.

maninthemiddle on June 23, 2009 at 9:53 AM

He did this in both Senates, too. Stick his name on other peoples’ work and take credit.

amkun on June 23, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Obama has a permenant seat on the sidelines….

cmsinaz on June 23, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Never mind that two monthsweeks passed between the speech and the uprising,
CarolynM on June 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Thank you, Carolyn. I thought I was losing my mind there for a minute.

BigD on June 23, 2009 at 9:54 AM

The Iranian uprising had nothing to do with the people wanting to be in a democracy. It was about a rigged election. People were killed because they live under a thug theocracy. When we have a rigged election, ala ACORN, the same thing can happen here. To think otherwise is short sighted. This is why it is being spun into a story about wanting democracy not free and fair elections.

Kissmygrits on June 23, 2009 at 9:54 AM

CLASSIC case of the rooster taking credit for the sunrise.

rockmom on June 23, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Ok, I’ve said this before-but O is the biggest ASSCLOWN around. It’s funny how it took them 2 weeks to think of this garbage.

Do you think that Emmanual sprung up at 2 am and called him and said “O, I’ve got how we’ll take credit for this”! And I can picture O with a lucky strike in his hand saying “Yea, man that’s it”!

Frances on June 23, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Un-freaking-believable. Is it 2012 yet?

Rip Ford on June 23, 2009 at 9:55 AM

What you highlighted ED isn’t even the most egregious part of the article:

Obama’s advisers say the outreach may have contributed to the defeat in Lebanese elections a few days later of a coalition led by Hezbollah, an Iranian-backed party, that had been predicted to win. In recent days, administration officials have pointed to the Iranian demonstrations as further evidence of Obama’s possible influence in the region.

After saying effectively nothing, and in fact doing absolutely nothing, this administration is taking credit for what is happening? They can’t even feign credit to the actual protesters, since you see had it not been for Obama’s wondrous speech, they would have done nothing.

Absolutely disguting!