Video: Minneapolis spends $200K to promote … tap water

posted at 11:36 am on June 23, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Just a reminder to my fellow Minnesotans about the virtues of unallotment among people “happy to pay for a better Minnesota.” Our local Fox News affiliate reports on a program that practically cries out for the descending Monty Python foot:

The city of Minneapolis is spending nearly $200,000 to sell something that would seem to sell itself: tap water. …

Tap Minneapolis is the city’s new web site, and PR campaign to promote the city’s tap water. But unlike tap water, it’s not cheap.

The web site costs $75,000. The total cost paid to the PR firm was $180,000.

Not all tap water is created equal. Minneapolis gets its tap water from the Mississippi River, which carries an odd taste into the tap. Being a resident near the junction of the Mississippi and Minnesota rivers, I wouldn’t take a gulp from either without having medical remedies nearby. Even the city acknowledges this, which means that they’re essentially lying during their promotions to the taxpayers funding the ad campaign. Lovely.

Fox notes that the money comes from a capital fund earmarked for water projects, so the money can’t be used for purposes other than water. Maybe, though, they could use it to make the product taste better — and that might convince people to take their water off the tap more than a dishonest $200K snow job.

Comments

The problem is in the water, Ed.

Buy a distiller, QUICK!

Mcguyver on June 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Metaphor for all of government: It tastes like crap, but you really have no choice to use anything else.

lorien1973 on June 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Why do they care whether or not people drink the tap water?

myrenovations on June 23, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Uhm…when someone has to convince you the water is safe, then it actually isn’t.

Just saying is all.

Larry Farr on June 23, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I’m guessing they took a look at Obama’s declining poll numbers and decided to pump the “koolaid” into the water supply.

Disturb the Universe on June 23, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Why do they care whether or not people drink the tap water?

myrenovations on June 23, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I wonder that too. It’s not like other uses are not covering the cost of maintaining the municipal water supplies. I mean I’m sure they water their plants and the tundra that two weeks of summer they have.

Larry Farr on June 23, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Why do they care whether or not people drink the tap water?

myrenovations on June 23, 2009 at 11:41 AM

EVIL plastic bottles!!!!!!

WashJeff on June 23, 2009 at 11:43 AM

They use to do this all the time in NYC.

Blake on June 23, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Can’t believe Lorien missed taking a shot at the website’s name.

cs89 on June 23, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Several years ago in my county the government went on a campaign to gets us to reduce our use of water. So we did. By a lot. So last year they raise the rates on the water because we aren’t using enough.

I’ve had it with municipal, state and federal government programs.

myrenovations on June 23, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Ed,

We get our water straight from the Minnesota river, downstream about 20 miles from you. Granted it’s filtered and all of those chemicals are added by the state before it hits my tap, but I think it is mighty tasty. The wife still demands her RO filter before it can touch her lips, but then again I grew up on Mississippi river water, so I may not be an expert on good water taste.

MNScott on June 23, 2009 at 11:48 AM

myrenovations on June 23, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Maybe they can shoot some water cannons at their citizens and kill two birds with one stone: use more water and get the complainers to shut up and like it.

WashJeff on June 23, 2009 at 11:48 AM

It drinks the water as its told.

Bishop on June 23, 2009 at 11:49 AM

When it comes to water, nobody nails it better than Lewis Black:

Dave Rywall on June 23, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Veep Biden claims you can drive cars through those taps too.

Hening on June 23, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Ed,

maybe when they were doing construction on your front lawn this spring they added some special “filters” to your water supply pipe to produce the glorious taste and smell. No more complaining otherwise the water won’t even be good enough for a shower. It is now I hope?

WashJeff on June 23, 2009 at 11:51 AM

“cs89 on June 23, 2009 at 11:45 AM”

u r SO bad …
:-)

Buckaroo on June 23, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Think of the jobs that were “created or saved” in that PR agency!

rockmom on June 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM

cs89 on June 23, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I didn’t watch it. What’s the site?

lorien1973 on June 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Being a resident near the junction of the Mississippi and Minnesota rivers

Mendota Heights?

jbh45 on June 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM

I don’t know if they still do that here in Phoenix since my work hours changed, but I used to hear tap water PSAs all the time on talk radio. Local legend Pat McMahon tried his damndest to convince me it was safe to drink. It always made me giggle.

jennifernaz on June 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM

“lorien1973 on June 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM”

/have at it!

Buckaroo on June 23, 2009 at 11:53 AM

oops — musta misspelled it somehow — but the general point is the same …

Buckaroo on June 23, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Really? I think St. Louis gets water from the Mississippi and Missouri, and it tastes fine. They even brag that it’s the “best tasting tap water in the nation.”

kc8ukw on June 23, 2009 at 11:54 AM

/grumble grumble transposition …

Buckaroo on June 23, 2009 at 11:54 AM

These people have both too much time and too much money on/in their hands. I just can’t wrap my mind around the idiocy going on in this country now.

genso on June 23, 2009 at 11:55 AM

jennifernaz on June 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM

If the government is going out of it’s way to assure me that something is safe to consume, I assume the exact opposite.

myrenovations on June 23, 2009 at 11:55 AM

It drinks the water as its told.

Bishop on June 23, 2009 at 11:49 AM

You owe me a yogurt.

LibTired on June 23, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I live in Minneapolis. I let my wonderful mayor know about how I felt about this, and his $50k water fountain idea too ($50k a piece for 5 or 6 drinking fountains… no, I’m not kidding). When contacting my representatives, none of which I voted for, I usually use the “concerned supporter” tactic. With him, I couldn’t hold it back and ended up calling him an embarrassment to the city, among other pleasantries. No cursing of course.

Anyways, the irony here is that Minneapolis’s water has issues. We get our water from the Mississippi. Every spring and fall our water smells and is discolored. In the spring, it’s due to the spring thaw and all the decomposing junk that was in the snow draining into the river. In the fall it’s from all the leaves in the river.

Like I said, during those times our water smells bad, tastes bad, and looks bad. You basically have to own a Brita filter if you want to drink the tap water. Or, one can do what I do and make sure my fridge has plenty of tasty local beers.

strictnein on June 23, 2009 at 11:57 AM

This is Minnesota, we take our water seriously. As a kid I used to take baths in the lake while staying at the cabin, I can only imagine what all that soap did to the wildlife.

Bishop on June 23, 2009 at 11:58 AM

At least they’re not re-selling the tap water back to you yet.

catmman on June 23, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Maybe if they spend $500k more, people will think it tastes better.

What if they spent the money putting little designer labels on everyone’s tap? Sure, it tastes like crap, but hey, it’s trendy!

DrAllecon on June 23, 2009 at 11:59 AM

If I rememebr correctly Minneapolis had some problem with cryptosporidia about 10 years ago and a few people died.

But like most things this is about the money.

I bet the PR firm is related to or close “friends” with some one who holds the purse strings.

LincolntheHun on June 23, 2009 at 12:01 PM

The water in my area is always smells and tastes bad, which is why I have a filter on my tap. Without the filter, the water is undrinkable.

Vic on June 23, 2009 at 12:03 PM

It smells like you’re in here. I mean it smells like urine here.

Americannodash on June 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Tap water is a bargain and Minneapolis has done much to improve it. Promoting that fact isn’t wasted if more taxpaying citizens start taking advantage of good, cheap drinking water right in their own homes.

starfleet_dude on June 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Chlorine and sodium fluoride make me hesitant to shower with it, let alone drink it.

Akzed on June 23, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

I use a britta filter with my tap water. And I reuse my water bottle, but I do it because I’m cheap, not green.

rbj on June 23, 2009 at 12:05 PM

lorien1973 on June 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM

More like:

Metaphor for all of government:
We know it is crap but will use your tax dollars to lie to you and tell you it is good.

Like:

Cap & Trade
National Health Care
Stimulus
etc, etc, etc……….

izoneguy on June 23, 2009 at 12:06 PM

It drinks the water as its told.

Bishop on June 23, 2009 at 11:49 AM

That was scary!!!!

Loxodonta on June 23, 2009 at 12:06 PM

starfleet_dude on June 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM

You don’t suppose Minnesotans couldn’t have figured that out for themselves the two times a day they brush their teeth with the tap water?

myrenovations on June 23, 2009 at 12:06 PM

They even brag that it’s the “best tasting tap water in the nation.” kc8ukw on June 23, 2009 at 11:54 AM

They add water-flavored Kool-Aid to it, along with the chlorine and sodium flouride.

Akzed on June 23, 2009 at 12:06 PM

starfleet_dude on June 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Do you live in Minneapolis? The water is anything but “good”.

strictnein on June 23, 2009 at 12:06 PM

We live out of town, have well water, and are therefore our own microcosmic water company. We had to adjust the ph to keep the water from making holes in the copper pipes. We had to soften it some to protect our appliances.

All the purification done, it’s the best water we ever tasted. We pay no one to fill it with chlorine and other additives or to pipe it to us. We drink it right out of the tap, and never buy the bottled stuff anymore.

That said, my favorite municipal water source is Atlanta’s. Take a swig right from the water fountain next time you’re at their Airport. Mighty tasty. They ought to bottle it.

marybel on June 23, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Is the water really that bad?

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Next up: Minneapolis has air. Breath it.
After that: Minneapolis has sunlight. See it.

strictnein on June 23, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Listen, if you want to live long and die old, do NOT drink tap water.

I moved from a pristine aquifier source of tap water to a suburban community drawing from a minor river source. I began breaking out in a rash, had gout and severe joint pain along with major fatigue. Went to doctor after doctor, and finally found a bright fellow who knew his stuff. He took my history and looked at me and asked: Do you drink tap water? Do you have a house filter? Yes to one, no to another. He told me to stop drinking tap water, even filtered, and to add a filter to my house to cure the rash.

eaglesdontflock on June 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Concentrate on the word “taxpaying” as it relates to the story and get back to us.

Bishop on June 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM

But like most things this is about the money.

LincolntheHun on June 23, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Think that was Milwaukee. It wasn’t here in Minnesota.

It is pretty amusing that anyone around here would buy bottled water, especially Aquafina or Dasani, since we have big Coke and Pepsi bottlers in the Twin Cities and the water in those bottles is just filtered tap water from right here. That said, Rybak is a true gust of helium.

Mr. D on June 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM

marybel on June 23, 2009 at 12:07 PM

You’re kidding right?

The last time I got water out of a fountain in Atlanta .. it was a pretty rust color!

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM

eaglesdontflock on June 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Sounds like you are allergic to chlorine.

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Forget to mention, within a month after taking his advice, I was symptom free. I think the liberals who are pushing this was us conservatives to lose our lives.

eaglesdontflock on June 23, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I grew(?) up in southern Illinois about 8 miles from the Mississippi River. We used to joke that if the people in St. Louis didn’t flush their toilets we wouldn’t have any water to drink.

davidk on June 23, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Next up: Minneapolis has air. Breath it.
After that: Minneapolis has sunlight. See it.

strictnein on June 23, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Air and sunlight are bargains and Minneapolis has done much to improve them. Promoting that fact isn’t wasted if more taxpaying citizens start taking advantage of good, cheap air and sunlight right in their own homes.

– farside_dude

Loxodonta on June 23, 2009 at 12:11 PM

lorien1973 on June 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Tap Minneapolis is the city’s new web site

Maybe it just wasn’t funny.

cs89 on June 23, 2009 at 12:12 PM

And you hear all day long about how we’re going to have to close down schools, fire policemen, turn starving children away, and kick the elderly out on the street because that evil bastard Pawlenty is cutting the budget for state funds.

Mayor Rybak Responds to Governor Pawlenty’s Budget Cuts

June 12, 2009 (MINNEAPOLIS) – Mayor R.T. Rybak responded to Governor Pawlenty’s action today to cut funds to cities across Minnesota:

“Today Governor Pawlenty has made his choices about how to cut the state budget. I deeply disagree with the governor because his choices will hurt many people. The governor has offered no plan for putting people to work, only for cutting jobs during a tough economy, and has offered no strategy for fixing a broken state budget that continues to lurch from deficit to deficit.

Earlier this year, we revised our 2009 city budget based on the cuts we anticipated the Governor would make. Because we did that, the City of Minneapolis will not need to make any more cuts to our budget in 2009. This is exactly how we have faced budget challenges before. Over the past several years while the state has been lurching from fiscal crisis to fiscal crisis, Minneapolis has eliminated nearly $90 million in debt, controlled our spending much better than the state, and made city services more efficient. As a result, we have balanced our budget every year and for years to come.”

Prick.

BigWyo on June 23, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Gubmint Water! With the new improved Gubminty fresh taste! Get some!

Changucopia on June 23, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Bottled water is a Democrat Party plot to part idiots with their money.

Jeff from WI on June 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Actually with cool weather and moisture, water sales are down and they want water sales to go up. So many green extremists are into flushing less and that hurts sales.

seven on June 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM

CA also spends money on ads to promote enviro-wackery and the like. But hey, they have the money, right?

PattyJ on June 23, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Lived in Minnesota for 26 years…Happy to have left. It’s becoming a mini Los Angles. I won’t even go back to visit relatives anymore. Grew up next to the Mississippi and I wouldn’t drink any of that even if it was purified! :-)

Eagles Dominion on June 23, 2009 at 12:19 PM

starfleet_dude on June 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM

If a person would rather spend money to drink bottled water, so what?

The point is spending almost a quarter mil to encourage your citizens to drink crappy water is a waste of money.

If the government wants to shine up a turd, do it some other way. Maybe they could have spent that money defraying the cost of the inevitable rate increases to come from people not using the water?

catmman on June 23, 2009 at 12:20 PM

it was a pretty rust color!

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM

So the city gave you a complimentary iron supplement. Bonus!

catmman on June 23, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Another reason why I am glad I live just outside the Twin Cities. At least the water is ‘special’ enough for the ‘kool-aid’ the voters of Mpls (Twin Cities in fact) have been obviously consuming in mass quantities.

RuffledRaven on June 23, 2009 at 12:22 PM

“Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority,and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end”

R. J. Wiedemann
LtCol. USMC Retired

Eagles Dominion on June 23, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Liberals of the environmental wacko variety complain that bottled water bottles fill up landfills, and take more energy to transport than tap water.

Stand firm in Minny-a-no-place, or they will attack use of toilet paper next.

Right_of_Attila on June 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Not enough people are drinking the flouridated water and falling for The Lightworker’s garbage anymore…

/sarc off

catmman on June 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM

You can lead a horse to water,

but you can’t…

Oh, hell!

They will probably just pee in it.

Yoop on June 23, 2009 at 12:28 PM

I heard the Twin Cities is going to spend almost $100 to upgrade the phone booth that houses the Minnesota Viking Hall of Fame.

Jeff from WI on June 23, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Of course they could just put up the last test date of the water at various locales across the area and what the results were… that would be simpler, low cost, and not require a grand old payout for promotion, but just show you are doing your job in a responsible manner in a verifiable way.

Nope.

Too simple for government to think of.

ajacksonian on June 23, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Changucopia on June 23, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I bet they drink corporate water. Now where did I put my ipod?

FontanaConservative on June 23, 2009 at 12:53 PM

For Obama voters no doubt…

daesleeper on June 23, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Hey, lighten up. If LA in the broke state of CA can spend $7.5 million for housing golden monkeys that China won’t sell to them – then why not a little to promote MN water?

katablog.com on June 23, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Brought to you by the Department of Putting Things on Top of Other Things.

TheMightyMonarch on June 23, 2009 at 1:08 PM

That would buy 23,485 Brita Filters

Of course they could get a lot more if they bought them directly from Brita.

- The Cat

P.S. That’s including sales tax.

MirCat on June 23, 2009 at 1:13 PM

starfleet_dude on June 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Cept they are paying for someone to sell something to them. It’s like having a cover charge to talk to a used car salesman.

Besides that . . . what is up with these websites? I mean the bandwidth, servers (mass killer ones), and the site construction and maintainance shouldn’t cost that much. Maybe they should start calling Rackspace or something.

MirCat on June 23, 2009 at 1:17 PM

starfleet_dude on June 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Do you have like a set number of statements like this you have to make a week? Sort of like a quota?

The very small town of Torrington, Wyoming has water that is drinkable as well. However, a short walk around town reveals a strange, white chalky substance on the houses and trees.
From the sprinklers.
The water has so much crap in it that, while it won’t kill you, cannot be helping anyone.
Even if the water in Minneapolis were totally wonderful. It is absolutely retarded and wasteful to spend one dime advertising it.
There are no other sources for sprinklers, showers, and the like, except the municipal water supply. If people don’t want to drink it – and who would – then they are not going to.
The only people advertising is going to cause to drink it are either new-comers or visitors.
Residents are going to see -and smell- that it’s still the same old crap.

Larry Farr on June 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Every year Purdue sends out a notice that the water is indeed safe to drink.

Also, when they clear lines or do some work around campus, such as flushing the system, they announce that while the water is unpleasant looking, it still remains within the government mandated levels of drinkability or whatever the -ese is.

It’s brown, just chug it down!

Larry Farr on June 23, 2009 at 1:25 PM

lorien1973 on June 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Metaphor for the Obama administration. It tastes like crap, but if you package it right…..

ihasurnominashun on June 23, 2009 at 1:37 PM

R.T. Rybak is a spineless schmuck. Of course he wouldn’t make himself available for an interview; he never does when he knows tough, legitimate questions over controversial issues are going to be thrown at him. I know this because I’ve tried many times and so have other journalists in this town. In fact, if you do get him in an interview situation and he doesn’t like a particular question he’ll throw a fit, toss his mic and promptly storm out of the interview setting. Minneapolis needs to rid itself of this pansy.

Goldy1 on June 23, 2009 at 1:43 PM

It’s just another manifestation of environmental political correctness. They don’t want plastic bottles in the landfills. Yet they ignore the fact that the bottles can be recycled. Thanks to the enviroweenies, many if not most of us are required to recycle our plastic bottles every week on trash day. If they had their way, we’d all live a primitive lifestyle. You know, the good old days when life expectancy was about 42 years.

Personally, I don’t buy bottled water every day, but sometimes it’s just convenient to be able to buy it. I like Aquafina. I don’t care if it’s tap water, it tastes better than what comes out of our local water systems.

nkviking75 on June 23, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Seriously. They don’t sell home water purifiers in Minnesota?

Not that I am on the anti-bottled-water bandwagon. Recycle the bottles. (They’re so convenient for toting water, I reuse them for years filling them from the tap. But our water tastes OK.)

Every day brings fresh evidence that government in America, at all levels, is out of control, metastasizing like cancer.

J.E. Dyer on June 23, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Do they put the industrial waste Fluoride rat poison into the Minneapolis tap water like they do in most U.S. cities?

Jerricho68 on June 23, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Those that want to PAY for water, more power to you. But perhaps you should really find out where it comes from. What old corroded pipes it runs through.

Jeff from WI on June 23, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Land of 10,000 lakes but they need bottled water to drink?

Jeff from WI on June 23, 2009 at 3:58 PM

How interesting.

Here in Central Florida, UCF had to put out a disclaimer when the tap water didn’t pass standards. And we got updates regularly on the status.

Of course, most of Florida has the exact opposite problem, where we have aquifers that are allegedly running dry and so the trick is to limit consumption. I think.

Re: bottle recycling, plastic water bottle are just blow-molded thermoplastics, right? What’s the issue with recycling them? From a materials perspective, at least.

Scott H on June 23, 2009 at 4:04 PM

This is an outgrowth of the healthcare debate – more Obama-inspired efforts to drive out the private sector so the inferior Gubmint product can have a monopoly !

eeyore on June 23, 2009 at 4:43 PM

“Why do they care whether or not people drink the tap water?”

They don’t. The “Water” budget has $200,000 left that must be spent by July (whenever). If they do not spend the money this year, their budget will be reduced by $200,000 next year. Can’t have that. Must spend $200,000 this year on something. Promote tap water? Why not?

Think I am kidding? I am not. This is how it works. Spend the money or lose it. Great incentive for frugality, huh.

jimboslice on June 23, 2009 at 4:53 PM

If people are dumb enough to spend their money on bottled water,let them.Don’t spend my money to convince them otherwise.

DDT on June 23, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Why do they care whether or not people drink the tap water?

The eco-marxists have now blacklisted water bottles. Funny though, since water bottles get recycled. Doesn’t matter. They want us all to go back to 1800 and live off the land so we don’t “taint” mother earth with our mere presence.

Another funny thing. They don’t want us to go back to 1800 in any other way, though. If you know what I mean. They want us to think like progressive marxists, but live like cave men.

keep the change on June 23, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Wouldn’t these idiots be farther ahead if they took what they spent in bottled water money, and spent it on a good filter system. Then fill a few empty bottles with the filtered tap water.

Jeff from WI on June 23, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Bottled Water does create an enormous amount of waste. Its also quite silly that litres of water cost more than Soda and fuel. More than some beer even?

I can understand it for 3rd world countries but it is a bit silly in the western world. Look for comedian Jim Gaffigan’s routine on bottled water – “do you have any air back there, how much is that?”
Wait… then again you can go to oxygen clinics.

PunditFight on June 24, 2009 at 12:54 AM