The plot thickens: Federal agent spotted Sanford at airport on Thursday

posted at 6:45 pm on June 23, 2009 by Allahpundit

Remember, we’ve already had two different explanations for where he went. His wife claimed he’d gone off to write, although she didn’t know where, then his spokesman claimed he was out hiking the Appalachian Trail. And yet, even in some of the reports of his absence yesterday, the curious fact that his cell phone signal was last detected near Atlanta was being noted.

Now this. Eccentric disappearances are bad enough, but eccentric disappearances plus lies?

On Tuesday, sources told News 4′s Nigel Robertson that a state vehicle is missing and was tracked down, not to the Appalachian Trail, but to the Hartsfield-Jackson Airport in Atlanta.

Sources told Robertson that a federal agent spotted Sanford in the airport boarding a plane. Robertson was told that the governor was not accompanied by security detail.

Sanford has been out of reach for more than four days, including Father’s Day.

Sawyer has emphasized that the governor was hiking on the Appalachian Trail and that it wasn’t something the staff or Jenny Sanford were concerned about.

But sources told WYFF News 4 that the federal agent who spotted Sanford saw him at the Atlanta airport, which is about 80 miles from the start of the trail.

Sanford’s a guy with many political enemies, even within his own party, so it’s not unthinkable that someone seized on the detail about his cell phone and spun some garbage about a mysterious flight out of it. And yet, the fact that even his wife didn’t know where he was going is decidedly odd and suspicious. What if there was a family emergency? Exit question: Theories? Is this a set up or a cover up? And does Mrs. Sanford really not know his whereabouts?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Those that oppose the stimulus get attacked from all directions. It may as well be Nazi Germany, give the guy a break and let him have a moment alone. Why does he have to account for every minute he breathes?

He is a better person than the one from NC that got caught during his presidential dem bid… yea him.

workingforpigs on June 24, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Don’t cry for meeee Argentina!

starfleet_dude on June 24, 2009 at 9:37 AM

If the federal agent saw him get on a plane, where was the plane going? Anchorage, maybe. hmmmm

Kissmygrits on June 24, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Everyone around here knows not to believe a word that comes from the Governors office.” is what I just heard some republican from the State Legislature say on TV. (I live in SC.)

beekiller on June 24, 2009 at 11:03 AM

A person in both an executive and a command position is objectively and explicitly accountable for his/her whereabouts to his constituents and those whom he/she commands militarily.

baldilocks on June 23, 2009 at 9:46 PM

This is a lie. We know now that his staff knew where he was. You are just repeating a false talking point now.

LastRick on June 23, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Look here, pal. If you think you know better what went on or have a different opinion than mine that’s great. But what I said is not a “lie,” that is, a conscious expression of something I know to be false. If you want to get along with people here you might watch who you sling the word “lie” or “liar” at.

You may be used to dealing with Party automatons, but I speak for me and no one else.

baldilocks on June 24, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Men usually only do things this stupid when a woman is involved. Time will tell if I’m right.

Hammerhead on June 24, 2009 at 12:08 PM

I’m so proud of my Governor who is confessing he was boning his mistress on Father’s Day. My favorite part is bringing God and sins into this…only because he got busted. I’d have more respect for him if he did this on his own due to his faith and belief in truth.

beekiller on June 24, 2009 at 2:35 PM

good grief…what is it with these narcissistic politicians…do they really think they are due any and everything they want…with no consequences to their actions? GAH!

ladyingray on June 24, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Sadly, my prediction earlier in this thread has come to pass. I’m sooooo depressed. Sandford was about the least statist politician we had… sucks.

WordsMatter on June 24, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Oh my! I wasn’t evern close to guessing this one. Too bad, he’s done politically.

Cindy Munford on June 24, 2009 at 2:46 PM

You gotta be kidding me. This is depressing as hell.

FerfeLaBat on June 24, 2009 at 2:47 PM

If there’s any bright spots, it’s that this has come out now and not, say, September or October 2010. And, regardless of what happens with Gov. Sanford, his successor as Governor in future elections will probably be a Republican.

WordsMatter on June 24, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Question – is Andre Bauer, the Lt. Gov., happily married?

redwhiteblue on June 24, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Pathetic! Ol’ Boy needed to take a break from his hard fought losing battle over the stimulus money? He was clearing his head by hiking the long trail? Sounded hinky to me from the gate.

Now we learn Sanford’s really been in Argentina cheating on his wife? What a wimp! So much for family values. Another one bites the dust!

Honestly, this fake and fraud should resign.

Gang-of-One on June 24, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I knew it! See my earlier post. Anyone who didn’t see this coming doesn’t understand what would make a man do something so stupid.

Hammerhead on June 24, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Blacksmith8 on June 24, 2009 at 6:16 AM

There may be 49 lieutenant governors, but there certainly are not 50.

Al in St. Lou on June 24, 2009 at 4:38 PM