Nixon 1973: You know what the GOP needs? More hot women

posted at 7:35 pm on June 23, 2009 by Allahpundit

A gold nugget buried in 154 hours of archived recordings released for the first time today. By “needs” he of course meant we need them to run for office, not in any untoward sense. This is Nixon we’re talking about, people.

In February of 1973, President Nixon called future president and then-Republican National Committee chairman George H.W. Bush, and recounted a recent visit to the South Carolina state legislature.

“I noticed a couple of very attractive women, both of them Republicans, in the legislature,” Nixon told Bush. “I want you to be sure to emphasize to our people, God, let’s look for some… Understand, I don’t do it because I’m for women, but I’m doing it because I think maybe a woman might win someplace where a man might not… So have you got that in mind?”

Bush replies, “I’ll certainly keep it in mind.”

The good news: Big tent! The bad news: Turns out identity politics is encoded in the modern Republican Party’s DNA. Who’ll tell Heather MacDonald? Since there’s no way for me to analyze whether any “progress” has been made in implementing Nixon’s plan without setting off a clusterfark of feminist indignation, I’ll humbly demur and instead point you to this NYT piece, also about today’s tapes, in which Nixon declares that abortion is “necessary” for … interracial babies. Proof positive that not even the grave can spare the GOP bad press from racist anti-Obama douchebaggery.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This- Nixon did you say? -chap sounds like the sort of progressive, moderate Republican we need to rid the GOP of the Bible-slobbering hayseeds that are stinking up the Big Tent. His pro-abortion stance and sensitivity to the feelings of Democrat ugly women ought to show independent voters the GOP means business.

TMK on June 23, 2009 at 7:46 PM

This is why I call RINOs “Nixon Republicans.” Beyond this, Nixon was responsible for the EPA, loads of government spending, and price controls. Yet to hear the Left speak, he was the archconservative incarnation of all evil.

Dear RINOs: We already tried it your way in the 70s. Nixon’s the one for you!

fiatboomer on June 23, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Nixon also gave America our first Czar…but only 1…President I Won has given us…I’ve lost count…20, 30?

redwhiteblue on June 23, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Nixon was a real piece of crap..

therightwinger on June 23, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Hey, he just wanted to fit in with those that came before him…

Upstater85 on June 23, 2009 at 8:48 PM

AND WE TURNED THAT DOWN????? Crime.

Daggett on June 23, 2009 at 7:50 PM

It’s just as well…they would have been westernized in no time and nothing would have been gained for American men.

ladyingray on June 23, 2009 at 8:50 PM

ladyingray on June 23, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Huh?

Upstater85 on June 23, 2009 at 8:53 PM

ladyingray on June 23, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Not really. If I have to get stuck with . . I better not finish that though.

MirCat on June 23, 2009 at 8:54 PM

When that happens, I mute the television and pretend they’re conservative.

eaglescout1998 on June 23, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Like that chick on the Progressive insurance commercials. I know she’s an actor, and not bad looking, but the minute she opens her mouth any positive qualities she might have are gone.

csdeven on June 23, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Here I am.

txag92 on June 23, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Did you read the post?

It’s only “extreme” because Barack Obama was not, in fact, one of the >40 million abortions. Realize that? Any lady marching for NARAL, aborted a potential President, and the Left applauds her “choice”.

Chris_Balsz on June 23, 2009 at 9:02 PM

I still love Nixon. A lot of this racial stuff he said for shock value. No one is perfect, but in his heart he was always a decent man.

Ted Torgerson on June 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I’m old enough to remember this campaign button:
“Why change Dicks in the middle of a screw?
Vote for Nixon in ’72!”

TexasJew on June 23, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Nixon originally ran for office in California as one of the new crop of (get ready for it-) liberal Republicans. They were young, veterans of WWII, and wanted to turn the party away from “old guard” Republicans.
Nixon only ran “to the right” when he had to; against Helen Gahagan Wilson (the “pink lady,”) and later in his career against McGovern.

massrighty on June 23, 2009 at 9:19 PM

If only Nixon had delivered more hot women and less wage and price controls…

freemarketlibertine on June 23, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Chris_Balsz on June 23, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Sure… I’m sure this will win over people to “the cause.” Just suggest that the world would have been better off if choice individuals had been aborted. It’s one thing to point out the irony that Obama was not – even though he is and his mother probably was pro-death. It’s another to say it’s unfortunate that he wasn’t aborted.

Upstater85 on June 23, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Isn’t Nixon exactly the model that the RINO brigade of Buckley and Powell want back?

Nixon wasn’t religious, didn’t have a southern accent, didn’t demonize Communist China and the Soviet Union etc.

He sounds perfect for them.

Speedwagon82 on June 23, 2009 at 9:35 PM

One more like that and you’re banned, cs.

Allahpundit on June 23, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Yeah, we don’t want Bill O’Reilly to have more fodder for his “Policing the Internet” segment.

Special K on June 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM

You know what the GOP needs? More hot women

This might be the real reason behind his “Southern Strategy.” I’m in Miss’ippi this week, and, despite the record high temperatures, the weather has nothing on the girls.

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 9:45 PM

This just happens to be released as the One’s approval ratings vis a vis healthcare reform and the budget are falling, and the public shows little signs of buying his upcoming All Barack Channel infomercial.

…….Pretty damned convenient timing.

Hawkins1701 on June 23, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Speedwagon82 on June 23, 2009 at 9:35 PM

You left off the /sarc tag—I can’t tell if you’re being witty or stupid.

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Huh?

Upstater85 on June 23, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Not really. If I have to get stuck with . . I better not finish that though.

MirCat on June 23, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Just shaking the branch…LOL

ladyingray on June 23, 2009 at 9:55 PM

You left off the /sarc tag—I can’t tell if you’re being witty or stupid.

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Lemme see, witty or stupid, witty or stupid…

hicsuget

Stupid.

TMK on June 23, 2009 at 10:01 PM

He was on the right track…and with a gender ratio of 10 females to each male we can all survive in a mine shaft! We just have to make sure we close the mine shaft gap!

clement on June 23, 2009 at 10:16 PM

All of you folks who are dumping on Nixon are very funny…and have no sense of historical perspective. If you properly understood the times he was in, and the circumstances under which he had to act, you would be a bit more respectful.

P.S. Those people you now dismissively
call RINO’s? They were the core of the
Republican Party long before you were. So
show them a bit more respect, eh? Without
them, you would all still be Southern
Democrats.

HTL on June 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM

HTL on June 23, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Without us conservatives, the Rino’s would be speaking Russian

freemarketlibertine on June 23, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Stupid.

TMK on June 23, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Your ignorance of history makes me stupid? I guess you’re a Palin supporter.

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 10:33 PM

HTL on June 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Presumably you aren’t talking about abortion for children of interracial marriages? And don’t make me dig up the quotes from Nixon where he talks about Jews.

P.S. Those people you now dismissively
call RINO’s? They were the core of the
Republican Party long before you were. So
show them a bit more respect, eh? Without
them, you would all still be Southern
Democrats.

You mean the Rockefeller Republican Party, smarty pants? Are you happy with giving the world President Jimmy Carter?

fiatboomer on June 23, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Your ignorance of history makes me stupid? I guess you’re a Palin supporter.

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Lots of smart Palin supporters out there – you might not want to throw that stuff around so cavalierly.

massrighty on June 23, 2009 at 10:36 PM

massrighty on June 23, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I have yet to meet one, but I do know plenty of very smart people who voted for Obama, noses held shut, as a protest against Palin.

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 10:42 PM

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Wow, you have “smart” friends that voted for a traitorous commie baby killer as protest against Palin.

Very smart.

Jeff from WI on June 23, 2009 at 10:45 PM

P.S. Those people you now dismissively
call RINO’s? They were the core of the
Republican Party long before you were. So
show them a bit more respect, eh? Without
them, you would all still be Southern
Democrats.

HTL on June 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Actually “Tricky Dick” would of been well liked by Obama. He gave us the much loved by DEMS “wage & price controls”, and he was the first President to really kiss a Commies butt as in China.

Jeff from WI on June 23, 2009 at 10:48 PM

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Maybe they weren’t as smart as you think they are, or you think you are.

Brian1972 on June 23, 2009 at 10:48 PM

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Being a liberal makes you stupid, and being crazy makes you a liberal. Me not knowing your bizarre, Von Brunn-esqe, revisionist-history is just a feather in my cap.

TMK on June 23, 2009 at 10:49 PM

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Why don’t you show them a graph of Obama’s projected budget deficits and then revoke their “smart person” licenses? Or at least their Whole Foods and PCC Market arugula-shopping licenses?

fiatboomer on June 23, 2009 at 10:50 PM

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 10:42 PM

You just met one; for the record, I was trying to save you from getting jumped on for your smart-ass comment.

Again, you just met one. Learn to recognize the signs.

massrighty on June 23, 2009 at 10:55 PM

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 10:42 PM

So these “smart people” acquaintances of yours are racist, but they are more sexist than racist, so they went for the greater of two lessers, is that right?

TMK on June 23, 2009 at 10:56 PM

ladyingray on June 23, 2009 at 8:50 PM

You’re probably right. Sigh & cry. But at least they’d still look beautiful. :D

Daggett on June 23, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Jeff from WI: actually, you completely prove my point. No historical perspective. Do you know why Nixon initiated relations with China? As a counterweight (very effective, by the way) to the Soviet Union. Brilliant diplomacy.

And wage and price controls? A stopgap measure to head off the rampant inflation he inherited from the Johnson Administration.

In 1964, the Republicans ran a “true believer” and got clobbered. Historically. Nixon ran and barely won in 1968, due mostly to his “Southern Strategy”. You have no understanding or appreciation of the moment in history he occupied, or the changes he wrought in the political landscape.

His failings are well-documented, and Gerald Ford’s fractional loss in 1976 was due mostly to them. But Nixon was at the helm when the tide turned, and to him we owe a lot more than your “what have you done for me lately, dude?” attitude indicates or expresses.

HTL on June 23, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Meh. Nixon’s strategy of running to the right in the primaries and to the left in the general didn’t help Bob Dole or John McCain. Dude, Nixon in many ways Nixon was a very smart guy but he’s done. The country is rather different now and we’re learning the problems of dealing with socialism instead of trying to convince people not to allow the Dems to implement it. Now the Dems will have to explain the problems caused by their bright ideas.

And as for “rewriting the political landscape?” Yeah, a 49-seat gain for the Dems in 1974 was pretty impressive, wasn’t it?

fiatboomer on June 23, 2009 at 11:43 PM

released for the first time today.

by the Obama White House after a TOTUS-less President acted like a spoiled teenager who didn’t like the questions the adults were asking him. I’m certain that Distraction Techniques 101 is somewhere in S. Alinsky’s handbook…and this Nixon thing is at the top of the Try This section. Turn away!

redwhiteblue on June 24, 2009 at 12:01 AM

HTL on June 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM

The RINOs of today are the embodiment of the Republican mainstays of yesteryear? Really? Really? Regarding which issues? Border security? Originalism? Federalism? I think not. Yeah, other people need historical perspective. Not you. Sure.

exlibris on June 24, 2009 at 12:53 AM

20 bucks says HTL is Pat Buchanon trolling for the old boss, any takers

freemarketlibertine on June 24, 2009 at 1:12 AM

exlibris: you only prove my point. Gerald Ford, Bob Michel, Nelson Rockefeller, and now Nixon, have all been dismissed by “kids today” as RINO’s. John McCain was also a part of the Reagan Revolution, and has earned his stripes through long battles over fiscal conservatism, yet he is now called a RINO. In fact, every time some distinguished Republican who has been through the wars dares to say something in opposition to the kiddies’ “flavor/policy of the month”, they get branded a RINO. Yet these “RINO’s” kept the faith and held the party together through some very dispiriting times.

As for originalism and federalism, I suppose in a very general way Republicans are for it (although, ahem, Abraham Lincoln was not), but as for border security that’s not a traditional Republican concern, at least not in the narrow way you would choose to define it. Your “hot button” issues are in fact cribbed from today’s headlines and bear the influences of former Southern Democrats (who were very big on federalism), but history would not agree that the Republican Party has always stood for the things you are trying to make it stand for today.

HTL on June 24, 2009 at 1:13 AM

freemarketlibertine: very funny, and definitely in keeping with the “debate” tactics established on this site where anyone who disagrees with your new orthodoxy is subjected to ad hominem attacks.

Just for the record, Pat Buchanan is a mook. But more importantly, when I prove that you are wrong about my identity, will you send me my $20 via Paypal or just mail me a check?

HTL on June 24, 2009 at 1:17 AM

HTL your points about Nixon are certainly salient, but wage and price controls exacerbated the inflationary problem that we were beginning to see in the early 70′s that led to stagflation in the late 70′s. Nixon certainly was a man of his time and commend him for being elected. The issue here is that we are in a battle with the left. They are overreaching like never before and we as a movement need to be able to articulate a conservative vision for the way forward that is the antithesis to the vision that the current administration is laying out. Nixon almost DESTROYED the Republican party with his big gov’t conservatism and conservatives saved the day in the 80′s. So excuse us if we crack some jokes at the memory of tricky dicky. Respect the man and the office but I don’t respect him just about destroying the republican party

freemarketlibertine on June 24, 2009 at 1:23 AM

I’ll make the check out to Christopher Buckley

freemarketlibertine on June 24, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Also, Nixon barely winning in 1968…

freemarketlibertine on June 24, 2009 at 1:27 AM

FML: aack. I didn’t think it could get any worse than being called Pat Buchanan. I guess I was wrong.

Please understand…I am not saying that Nixon’s policies are right for today’s challenges. But he was a loyal Republican and did a lot for the party (and the country), before the, um, unfortunate series of incidents that proved (deservedly) to be his downfall.

Even if his only accomplishment was not being HHH or George McGovern, that was certainly worth something in those perilous times.

HTL on June 24, 2009 at 1:48 AM

I agree with HTL’s analysis of Nixon’s time. He won after Johnson’s train-wreck and he had to deal with the Viet Nam war and all of that b.s. He had a lot on his plate at the time. Paul Volker came in after Nixon had departed the scene. That is why Nixon had his price controls, trying to fight inflation. Do you remember Ford’s WIN buttons? Whip Inflation Now.

cjs1943 on June 24, 2009 at 1:53 AM

HTL on June 24, 2009 at 1:13 AM

I’m starting to think you’re related to Nixon. Perhaps you’ve heard of a real Republican, Dwight D. Eisenhower. You know, the guy Nixon VP’d for.

Next time you are searching the interwebs, look up “Eisenhower,” “Operation Wetback,” “fiscal responsibility,” “balanced budget,” and “liberation of Communist-dominated countries” some time. Crib that from a headline, RINO.

TMK on June 24, 2009 at 2:27 AM

In 1964, the Republicans ran a “true believer” and got clobbered.

HTL on June 23, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Actually, Goldwater was much more a libertarian than a true believer. Sort of like an anarchist philosophy tempered by the knowledge that there had to be somebody in charge.

Goldwater would probably have been okay as POTUS but he would never have made the country politically relaxed. He liked the attention a lightning rod gets.

platypus on June 24, 2009 at 4:13 AM

HTL on June 23, 2009 at 11:24 PM

You’re right, Nixon was the poster boy for the modern bootlicking, don’t rock the boat, we might be second place but we still have our country club membership RINOs
A true guiding light to those with the “we’ll go along to get along” style of politics.

Jeff from WI on June 24, 2009 at 6:35 AM

Interesting that the NYT article can somewhat be construed as linking Nixon and Obama. I believe over time, more and more similarities between the two will be revealed.

olesparkie on June 24, 2009 at 7:40 AM

I’ve often said that Obama is our first openly racist president since Nixon.

Out: Lincoln-Obama comparisons
In: Nixon-Obama comparisons

Favors abortion & affirmative action, makes racist statements, continues bombing of predecessor. Man, there aren’t just a few things those two have in common.

Crusty on June 24, 2009 at 8:39 AM

“In 1964, the Republicans ran a “true believer” and got clobbered. – HTL on June 23, 2009 at 11:24 PM”

Actually, Goldwater was much more a libertarian than a true believer. Sort of like an anarchist philosophy tempered by the knowledge that there had to be somebody in charge – platypus

True, platypus, but more to the point on the ’64 election; it was held just 11 months and a few days after JFK was killed. The mood being what it was, Americans gave Johnson “JFK’s 2nd term” – there wasn’t much chance of any Republican the winning the presidency that year. Goldwater was “Eh, what the heck – it’s sacrificial lamb time.”

whatcat on June 24, 2009 at 8:50 AM

You know what the GOP needs? More hot women
The good news: Big tent!

Or, maybe pup tent.

Vashta.Nerada on June 24, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Nixon was my commander and chief during viet nam. He had guts and he wasn’t afraid to fight a war. He also froze government spending until it could balance the budget. All raises, all promotions, all spending frozen until things balanced.

He would be a good one to follow, unfortunately he was an honest person and actually admitted he had knowledge of watergate…. couldn’t get anyone to admit anything now.

workingforpigs on June 24, 2009 at 9:31 AM

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 10:42 PM

You sound like a real genius. I bet you believe everything Olbermann and Matthews tell you.

bw222 on June 24, 2009 at 10:10 AM

How about Nixon loosing the Vietnam war? Abandoning the south to the north. We were winning that war, but Nixon couldn’t stand the pressure. How about maybe attacking the North directly which was off limits. How about Nixon breaking and entering DNC HQ at the Watergate hotel? The more I learn about Nixon the more I don’t like. His mistakes resulted in Carter. Nixon was not the high point in Republican Politics. We lost a lot of minority votes because of him. He made the RNC look like criminals and dirty tricksters.
AND HOLD ON THE BIGGEST REASON I HATE NIXON
Nixon adminstration was the turning point which the party of Lincoln lost the Blacks. Republicans was the party of choice for Blacks The Democratic party invented the KKK. President Richard Nixon’s “Southern Strategy,” which was an effort on the part of Nixon to get Christians in the South to stop voting for Democrats who discriminated against Blacks. Martin L King was a Republican. Republicans gave blacks civil rights. Democrats are just keeping them as poor slaves to this day. THANK YOU ASS HOLE NIXON!!! You can say Nixon is why we have a communist president now. I wish the first Black President was a republican and conservative. NIXON was a raciest criminal appeaser. GOOD RIDDEN.

Ed Laskie on June 24, 2009 at 11:33 AM

He had guts and he wasn’t afraid to fight a war… unfortunately he was an honest person and actually admitted he had knowledge of watergate.
workingforpigs on June 24, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Sorry to disagree, but first let me thank you for your service during Vietnam and sorry about how Al Gore made the Vietnam vet look like baby killers.
Like I said he abandon the war just when we were winning. Sure he went a little into North and over into Cambodia to bomb the trails, but he cut and ran and left POW behind.
He wasn’t honest, he was caught. Remember “People think I’am a crook, but am not a crook.” missing minutes in tape. Your right he was a likable guy and I liked him then, but the more I learn about history, The more I dislike him.

Ed Laskie on June 24, 2009 at 11:52 AM

How about this little gem from the tapes:

“There are times when an abortion is necessary. I know that. When you have a black and a white. Or a rape.” Nixon

lexhamfox on June 24, 2009 at 12:15 PM

The Dems do have Kirsten Powers. I just hope she comes to her senses one of these days and moves to the Republican ranks.

NNtrancer on June 24, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Unfortunately Nixon had some Generals that thought they were still fighting Korea and WW2 and had not business being in charge. There were a few real good commanders that had the gorilla type fighting covered, but they were out voted and hung out to dry.

As far as the POWs it is hard to stick your hand into a bee hive to get honey after you have kicked the hive and it would have been suicide for anyone to go and get them. There was a very poor version of foreign affairs at that time and things got lost after Carter was elected… He was likely the worst in history, with his hostage crisis and gas rationing, etc. Well, the worst so Far, I suspect we will have carter x2 coming.

workingforpigs on June 24, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Nixon was never ashamed of his troups.

workingforpigs on June 24, 2009 at 5:24 PM