English-only requires people to know English, right?

posted at 4:05 pm on June 23, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Don’t get me wrong; I think that federal and state governments waste money, resources, and opportunities by publishing all official documents in a range of languages, rather than just insist that people living in the US should learn enough English to succeed in the marketplace.  Bilingual education that delays or bypasses the teaching of English leaves students ill-prepared for a job market in which English prevails.  It’s just that moments like this are a little too ridiculous to pass up:

Shouldn’t people who support English-only initiatives be required to know how to spell “conference”?  And shouldn’t the organizers have taken down the sign if they did notice that it was misspelled?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You are not supposed to tell tails out of school. Science and math geeks are that way because we couldn’t spell and equations were easier to write. Spell Check and secretaries are God Sends for us Science/Math types.

chemman on June 23, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Just pointing out that poor spelling is not always related to a lack of intelligence or education. And this predates spellchecking. But, you’re right – a good secretary is a God send. And, contrary to at least one commenter, not somebody to look down upon.

Blake on June 23, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Blake on June 23, 2009 at 5:29 PM

The only one looking down upon them was you. Saying they were complaining about the spelling of the Science Techs.

Give me a break, Blake. You turn things around like a top.

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Then maybe you should call them Administrative Assistants.

That wasn’t their title.

LOL since they do the same thing as a “Secretary” which takes the items that are given them.. via their boss.. and retype it, so it “looks” professional!

No, they didn’t do the same thing as what you defined as a secretary’s duties. Again, you show your ignorance, your lack of an advanced education, your snobbery, and your sexism.

LMFAO how dense are you?
upinak on June 23, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Not an iota compared to how big an ignorant a$$hole you are demonstrating yourself to be. LMFAO.

Blake on June 23, 2009 at 5:37 PM

No, you change it, and make it a point that mistakes happen, and you correct them.
In a “perfect” society mistakes are corrected, not compounded or ignored.

right2bright on June 23, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Give me a break, Blake. You turn things around like a top.

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I said they complained about very intelligent people’s spelling as an example that spelling was not always related to intelligence. Only someone as dishonest as you would try to try to spin that as condenscension — made even more dishonest by your own very obvious condenscenion. You, not being very intelligent yourself, mistakenly thought you had an opportunity to take a cheap shot at me. You were wrong and you are now too immature to admit it. And speaking of looking down at people– now you are calling postdoctoral students and scientists doing research at a lab “Science Techs”??? Once again, you reveal yourself to be a dishonest rube.

Blake on June 23, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Blake on June 23, 2009 at 5:37 PM

There are Admin Asst and Secretaries that work in the same office as I. They are given the “duty” to retype what the “Boss” gives them as they see fit or type what is dictated to them. Most of the time they are given, what looks to be a letter to retype on the company letter head with multiple problems as in display, obvious grammer issues and mispelled words, as well as hand written in the marging notes to put into the paragraph. How do I know, as they come to me and ask WTF they wrote… handwriting is just as important if you can figure that one out.

So what exactly are you Blake? The Secretary or the Tech? I am far from an asshole…. And some people don’t seem to get the notion that you just got told. I think it is funny that your secretaries complain about their work. Why work their if they hate it?

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Blake on June 23, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Blakey, Blakey.

If they don’t like their Secretarial Job… then they should leave. Right?

I am sorry you don’t know or understand a secretarial or adminstraive duty. I am a Tech.. they don’t do my job… but those Secretaries and Admin Asst’s come to me.. not for just spelling errors, but for penmanship they can’t read. They type letters that are needed to be corrected or added on.

My cheap shot isn’t at you.. it is what you don’t seem to understand their duties and why they were hired in the first place. That is the problem. And why are you listening to people who whine about their jobs? Don’t you have better thigns to do with you job and time then listen to them?

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 5:52 PM

with friends like Ed Conservtives don’t need enemies

bill30097 on June 23, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I hate when HA makes me type the same dang thing twice.

ugh

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I hate when HA makes me type the same dang thing twice.

ugh

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 5:53 PM

hehehe…

ladyingray on June 23, 2009 at 5:55 PM

hehehe…

ladyingray on June 23, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Maybe you can explain to el-Blanko what a Secretary actually does.

I am done.. he is either in Europe or is stupid.

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Maybe you can explain to el-Blanko what a Secretary actually does.

I am done.. he is either in Europe or is stupid.

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Um…well, one of their job duties is to type letters or reports that are given to them by their boss…their job is to decipher the scribble-scrabble and grammatical errors, and to correct spelling errors. They do this to make the boss look smart.

That is their job. That is what they are hired to do.

ladyingray on June 23, 2009 at 6:02 PM

And, contrary to at least one commenter, not somebody to look down upon.

Blake on June 23, 2009 at 5:29 PM

That depends entirely on the secretary!!! I’ve met a few I would not mind looking down at or up at for that matter! :)

jdkchem on June 23, 2009 at 6:03 PM

A landscaping company recently canvassed my neighborhood with flyers boasting that they “only spoke english.” Attached was a beautiful, glossy business card on high quality paper with color pictures of palm trees. Written across the bottom:

“No job to big or to small.”

I love that they went to all that trouble to make a grade-school mistake.

RightOFLeft on June 23, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Hay,leev them aloan,they R spelun in eboniks

Jeff from WI on June 23, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I must say, as someone who is by almost anyone’s definition a ‘tech/geek/math/science person’, I take great pride in my spelling and grammar. If I had been in charge of creating that banner (and in one of my professional organizations, that was precisely my job last year), I would offer to resign for making such a bad mistake.

I would not, however, insist on such in others. I hold myself to a standard to which I do not hold others. I do not believe I am better than others; in fact, just the reverse.

However, anyone would be justified in taking anything that organization says with a grain of salt. Appearances do matter, and the appearance of that poster is, “We are either ignorant about proper spelling, or we didn’t care enough to check.” It’s quite possible there are any number of extenuating circumstances, but psychologically speaking, that will be the takeaway point of anyone who catches the error.

Scott H on June 23, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Does ANYONE speak or understand English any more?
For example:when did it become acceptable to use the word “that” when referencing a human being?People are properly referred to as WHO or WHOM—NOT THAT.

DDT on June 23, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Does ANYONE speak or understand English any more?

DDT on June 23, 2009 at 6:38 PM

That be anyone I know?

Jeff from WI on June 23, 2009 at 6:49 PM

DDT on June 23, 2009 at 6:38 PM

How about that Obama fellow? :-)

Right_of_Attila on June 23, 2009 at 6:51 PM

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 5:48 PM
upinak on June 23, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Dumba**, dumba**, dumba**:

Once again, you demonstrate your limited world view, your lack of logic., and your blatant dishonesty. Just because you work in a office with people with a certain job description and title doesn’t mean all people have the same job description, title, and duties. Seriously, how stupid are you? And, if I was a secretary, I would be a better and faster typist. However, I don’t look down on secretaries as you apparently do. And only an idiot would call professors and scientists, at least one who of which had a Nobel prize a “Tech.” It’s clear that you don’t have a very important job and can only feel better about yourself by ignorantly belittling people who you think are beneath you. And don’t give me this b.s. that you didn’t personally attack me, you idiot.

You are the nutter who posted a comment about how awful people were to you when you were traveling in europe. I can now see why. When I commented that I had a great time meeting people when I traveled, you went ballistic. You accused me of lying. You claimed I was lying about traveling. And that it was apparent that I had never been out of the country. Even your friends asked you what the hell was wrong with you as you went on and on and on about. You came across as crazy then as you are coming across as crazy now. Seek help.

Blake on June 23, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Wouldn’t it be funny if it turns out the banner was printed at a shop that employed illegals?

fivefeetoffury on June 23, 2009 at 6:57 PM

jdkchem on June 23, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Careful! Upchuck might call you a liar. lol!

Blake on June 23, 2009 at 6:58 PM

fivefeetoffury on June 23, 2009 at 6:57 PM

That, or UNION morons

Jeff from WI on June 23, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Correction – because he deserves the credit: He won two Nobel Prizes.

Blake on June 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Can’t fool us, it’s a Canadian Conference. That’s why the extra E,like the extra u in colour.

Jeff from WI on June 23, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Spelling lesson #2: You can’t spell “ignorant bigot” without an “ignorant.”

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Blake on June 23, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Hey! Nice rant.

Just because you work in a office

I don’t know about you, but I work in an office.

Next time, double check your spelling and you won’t ruin your rant in the second sentence.

ladyingray on June 23, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Lady… Blake is a pathetic little arse.

Can’t figure out secretaries, admin assistants, technical writers, accountants.. I am sure he is probably complaining as he is the “Secretary” speaking.

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 9:09 PM

He ENJOYS Buchanan’s commentary? How does that anti-Semite manage to get a pass from so many otherwise intelligent people? Are they just blind to Pat’s Jew-hatred? (Not to mention flat out racism.)

Meryl Yourish on June 23, 2009 at 9:29 PM

ladyingray on June 23, 2009 at 7:45 PM

You missed a few other mistakes.

And, if I was a secretary, I would be a better and faster typist.

It’s “if I were a secretary.” In English, the subjunctive mood is expressed using the plural form of the verb. (Furthermore, it is inappropriate to begin a sentence with a conjunction.)

Blake on June 23, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Replace the stricken portion with “of whom,” change “had” to “has,” and add a comma after “Nobel prize,” and you might have a sentence there.

The above errors notwithstanding, please don’t let your grammatical inadequacies stop you from taking on upinak—that guy’s a jerk.

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Wow, it’s a conference with a well known white supremacist(Peter Brimelow) and all you guys can find wrong is a spelling error?

beekiller on June 24, 2009 at 2:57 AM

As a professional engineer, the not-so-comely women who were secretaries were worth their weight in gold. Competence cannot be measured. In hind sight, I should have dumped my cute arm candy wife for any doggy superb secretary. Sigh. They knew how to be women and I was too dumb to understand how to be a man.

Flying Royal Scots Lion

Caststeel on June 24, 2009 at 3:30 AM

I hate to point this out, but it’s not that unusual. Even those for whom English is their primary language can’t spell. Spelling, and grammar, are skills that schools tossed overboard over a decade ago.

Paul_in_NJ on June 24, 2009 at 7:47 AM

No, no, no, people. Don’t you see? It was a subtle plot to weed out all the people at the conference who don’t speak English.

“Nice sign, huh? And everything is spelled correctly, isn’t it?”
“Why, yes, the sign is…”
“INFIDEL! He didn’t spot the misspelling! Seize the non-English speaker!”

Wow, I love rationalizing like a liberal, it’s fun!

Crusty on June 24, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Did you hear about the dyslexic insomniac agnostic? He’d lie awake at night wondering if there’s a dog.

Akzed on June 24, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Hey! Nice rant.

No rant. Just a rebuttal to a mentally unstable person.

Just because you work in a office …

I don’t know about you, but I work in an office.

I don’t work in an office.

ladyingray on June 23, 2009 at 7:45 PM

There was no rant to ruin. Try being less a sycophant and you own’t make yourself look so foolish.

Lady… Blake is a pathetic little arse.

upinak on June 23, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Upchuck: Please seek psychiatric help.

Blake on June 24, 2009 at 11:20 AM

hicsuget on June 23, 2009 at 10:04 PM

I don’t consider errors made when I am responding quickly to being attacked by a$$holes from all sides inadequacies. As far as upchuck — you two have a lot in common. Take him on yourself.

Blake on June 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM

NIT NOY BS!.
Nothing better to do then b*tch about spelling errors or an oversight.

ColdWarrior57 on June 24, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Flying Royal Scots Lion

Caststeel on June 24, 2009 at 3:30 AM

Nice to see that someone recognizes and appreciates competent staff. Those who don’t have a screw loose and are only compensating for their own inadequacies. Only a real rube would call John Bardeen a “Science Tech.” It would be funny if it wasn’t so pathetic.

Blake on June 24, 2009 at 11:49 AM

the tanton-ites are mouth-breathing dumbasses.

eh on June 24, 2009 at 3:14 PM

the tanton-ites are mouth-breathing dumbasses.

eh on June 24, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Don’t be so hard on yourself.

Blake on June 25, 2009 at 10:38 AM