Neda identified? Update: New details

posted at 7:18 pm on June 21, 2009 by Allahpundit

Word on the street via one Iranian tweeter is that her name was Neda Agha Soltan. That’s also the name circulating on a few websites and now being attributed to her in a hastily arranged Wikipedia bio. The rumor — and it’s all rumor until some newspaper tracks down her family — is that she was 27 years old and a philosophy student. I hope to god this isn’t really her photo because the thought of her being so beautiful and dignified makes the murder somehow that much more obscene.

Two clips below. The second you’ve already seen; the first is a new one circulating today, shot sometime before the moment of truth. The blue shirt on the gray-haired man in the foreground should look familiar. That’s almost certainly her standing to his left, watching the protest, bothering no one. Read this Time piece on Neda by Iran expert Robin Wright afterwards, as it touches on the huge significance of martyrdom not only in Shiite theology but in Iran’s political tradition. If there’s any justice, there’ll be videos like this of Khamenei and Ahmadinejad someday soon.

Update: A Farsi speaker tells HuffPo that this blogger is claiming that Neda was at the protest with her professor and several other students and that the fatal shot was fired by a Basij driving by on a motorcycle. No rhyme or reason; I wonder if he even aimed. The burial, reportedly, was today — and her memorial service was ordered canceled by the regime.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 12 13 14

And the more ‘beautiful’ they are, the more they must cover themselves..and the more they don’t cover themselves, the more pain is brought upon them.
bridgetown on June 22, 2009 at 6:45 PM

It may or may not be the case here, but that was my immediate thought when I saw the first photo of the victim on the ground in trendy jeans and (apparently) no head covering

Some of the females in protest videos had attractive (dyed) hair styled to show around the edges of their head coverings. There were a lot of females pushing the taboo, and the victim was a standout for retribution

The video of her death was harsh. Her eyes turned to the camera but she was already losing the the look of life. It brought back the sudden death of my father many years ago, who also rapidly bled from the mouth, and nose in the final moments after he went down

When the blood pours out so goes the life and you are helpless as the light extingushes. I pray for her soul

I don’t understand the criticisms of Schlussel. She is always consistent, and a good reality check. There may be bitterness at the blue and white armbands we never see when terrorists attack yet another israeli target. She brings it up now because this death triggered a passion the other moments did not evoke. There is a barrier between israeli suffering and the suffering of others and Schlussel has been bringing this up so long she is bitter, and she is ignored. She ended up sounding spiteful for a young woman’s tragedy. She was. But she also was not wrong.

The video was amazing. It made us live this wasteful death. Sometimes God lets us see what was always there. So sad

entagor on June 22, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Look for Achmadinejad swinging somewhere soon.

profitsbeard on June 22, 2009 at 11:31 PM

I keep hearing there are growing divisions in the regime.

That’s the key. I hope they follow through on their strike today.

B Man on June 23, 2009 at 1:45 AM

I can’t really put into words the emotions I feel over this young womans’ death. I’ve experienced death in many forms through the magic of the internet, real life loss and one poor soul who’s body I discovered. Neda’s death for some reason strikes a deeper chord. Like she was a family member. I’ve seen some sick shit. I used to think of myself as pretty jaded when it came to shock video but this really saddens me… ;_;

liquidflorian on June 23, 2009 at 1:57 AM

NEDA was a beautiful girl. This the most powerful Video I have seen. I’m not ashamed to say it made me cry.
Everyone needs to see this to understand what the real cost of freedom is. To see the life stolen from Neda is very disturbing. God has a special place for Neda.
God Bless the Iranian People, our hopes are with you and Neda has not died in vain. I will always remember Neda.

Ed Laskie on June 23, 2009 at 4:27 AM

Truly shocking images.However i have been telling readers of hotair of these iranian women and the fight for change for many that has been going on before the election.

For my troubles i got the usual cries of anti semite. Images of real iranians where referred to as irrelevent.That was the reply from a poster after watching these images.

So , the calls to nuke these people either with or without Israel was so strongly and gleefully supported on this site.

Exit question, whould you encourage and support Israel to attack Iran if the regime stands?

What would Neda have wanted? If her death means you hardliners see Iranians as people then she would not of died in vain.Be honest.

mags on June 23, 2009 at 5:03 AM

mags on June 23, 2009 at 5:03 AM

I’ve been reading this blog for several years and have never seen people gleefully calling for the nuking of the iranian people. You are a dysfunctional human being, diplomatically called a liberal, but in reality and honestly something far more despicable. You are foul. Your type will not only be the downfall of the US, but the downfall of Western Civilization because sick people like you now control the message through the media, control congress and control the White House. Nothing ever gets solved because rational human beings, who now seem to almost be in the minority in this country, have to spend time defending themselves from dishonest and dangerous statements like the one above instead of engaging in real and constructive debate. I never thought the day would come that I would understand exactly how the rational people of germany in the late 30′s or in russia at the turn of the century felt by observing my own country. I know you believe it but there is nothing enlightened about you. Far, far to the contrary, you are the rabble that has allowed murderous dictators and regimes grab power throughout history. You are not Neda, you are the basij.

peacenprosperity on June 23, 2009 at 6:32 AM

On you tube site there are comments that are blaming this on CIA or Jews. Must be Iranian government trying to do damage control. I have been saying for years that Iranian people are pro-western trapped in a extremist theocracy. No serious conservative would call for nuking Iran or attacking Iranian people. Taking out nuclear sites maybe. Bush was on track when he gave the Iranian people moral support in their struggle against their oppressors. The Bush doctrine is starting to take hold. The Iranian revolution is the doing of the Iranians and not anyone else. Stop trying to talk for Neda, we do know she didn’t support any of the official candidates according to those close to her.
mags let be educate you on something, your president is a Communist. YOU ELECTED A COMMUNIST. ARE YOU A COMMUNIST?

Ed Laskie on June 23, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Listen- sane people in the US and abroad have not called for the nuking or bombing of Iran proper. They have called for taking out Iran’s nuke capability which would mean the usual attempts to minimize collateral civilian casualties.The Iran government in power deserves derision for attacking unarmed, peaceful protestors. The Iranian Government is who you should be shouting towards. Are they trying everything they can to avoid hurting and killing people?

protonspinner on June 23, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Sad Sad Sad….
This man/child president is way over his head in this job. Hilary was right about 1 thing, “Barack will bring a speech.”
For Gods sack Mr. President what was that so called speech in Egypt for if not this??

mmcnamer1 on June 23, 2009 at 3:32 PM

What a brave and beautiful young lady who reminds us just how precious life is. How heartbreaking for her family. They can take some comfort in knowing that Neda’s senseless death was not in vain. Her memory will live on.

The monsters who did this evil act have not won nor have they stopped the movement toward freedom for Iran.

sarahpalinfan99 on June 23, 2009 at 3:34 PM

So if she had buck teeth and a big hairy wart on the end of her nose, no one would of cared, I guess.

Jeff from WI on June 23, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Jeff from WI on June 23, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I love my state, but you’re not one of the reasons why.

MadisonConservative on June 24, 2009 at 9:53 AM

The part that shows the attempt by the ruling mullahs to show they are still in charge, is the banning of Neda’s memorial services.

Think-a memorial is a tribute to the living who have passed with religious connotations. Neda’s memorial is banned by the mullahs who appear to be negating their own religion.

MSGTAS on June 24, 2009 at 10:24 AM