Michelle: Will libertarian John Stossel be part of ABC’s Obama infomercial?

posted at 3:25 pm on June 18, 2009 by Allahpundit

Good question, especially given his history of covering the issue. The answer, I’m guessing, is no, since ABC seems intent on excluding representatives of alternative viewpoints even if lip service ends up being paid to those viewpoints in the questions that are asked of The One. That’s why Team Barry offered the White House as a venue, that’s why no Republicans are invited, that’s why ABC is even rejecting paid ads that oppose Obama’s proposal: The point, I take it, is to make ObamaCare seem like the only game in town. That’s critical to shaping the public’s baseline expectations of what health-care reform will/should ultimately look like, as there’s a huge difference between starting with a full set of options — a pure libertarian plan, the GOP plan, etc — and starting with one option that can be tweaked at the margins to address criticisms superficially. The boss wonders here if ABC will acknowledge that there’s a split even among Democrats as to how socialized the final plan should be, but I suspect not only will they acknowledge it, they’ll highlight it to drive home the sense that the left’s vision is the correct one and it’s simply a matter now of deciding how far leftward we’ll go.

Considering how many ABC employees donated to Obama last year, I wouldn’t get my hopes up about any grassroots campaign on Stossel’s behalf. Exit question: How about a compromise by which Tapper gets to host? He’s their White House correspondent, after all, and one of the precious few reporters conservatives trust not to get lost in The One’s dreamy brown eyes.

Comments

ABC: No comment

Mr. Joe on June 18, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I sorta doubt it, since Stossel tends to actually use a fact or two while reporting.

Larry Farr on June 18, 2009 at 3:29 PM

keep your eye on stossel’s blog here:

homesickamerican on June 18, 2009 at 3:30 PM

“Stossel and Tapper will not be available due to “already schedule plans” but everyone else at ABC will be on hand for our ‘robust’ healthcare debate”

youngO on June 18, 2009 at 3:32 PM

i like Stossel. i walked by him last week while i walked home.

moonbatkiller on June 18, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Michelle: Will libertarian John Stossel be part of ABC’s Obama infomercial?

ABC: Not just No, but H*LL NO.

johnsteele on June 18, 2009 at 3:32 PM

The opposing voice will be represented by a section full of straw men, complete with stuffed flannel shirts and overalls.

anticucho on June 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Not even a close call, out by a mile.

chemman on June 18, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Stossel and Tapper will be at the White House…on fly swatting duty.

WashJeff on June 18, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Will Tapper and Stossel participate in Obama’s healthcare love-fest?

Of course not. No brains allowed, just sheeple.

Steve Z on June 18, 2009 at 3:38 PM

youngO on June 18, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Stossel and Tapper will be safely chained up in the basement, True Blood-style.

Go RBNY on June 18, 2009 at 3:38 PM

anticucho on June 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM

No stuffed flannel. They’ll have business suits and money pouring out of their pockets. They’ll be beating sick children and there will not be any straw women.

shick on June 18, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I’m just counting the days until Obama bans us from using facebook and twitter…

Shock the Monkey on June 18, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Larry Farr on June 18, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Everybody makes one or two mistakes now and then.

Daggett on June 18, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Stossel and Tapper will be safely chained up in the basement, True Blood-style.
Go RBNY on June 18, 2009 at 3:38 PM

We could only HOPE they would be chained in the basement. Maybe Crazy Joe will be locked in there at the same time so he can show them how to escape.

VibrioCocci on June 18, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Confused and senile. Have Barry’s Compensation Czar reduce his salary 50% or fire him outright.

a capella on June 18, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Spend trillions (on cr*p that’s failed everywhere it’s been tried) or do nothing. Those are the only options being offered. Believe me when I tell you that.

TubbyHubby on June 18, 2009 at 3:44 PM

No, don’t you see. John Stossell is part of the problem. He is not buying this bill of goods.

jimmy2shoes on June 18, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I wonder if Major Garrett and Jake Tapper are treated differently by their peers? Garrent because he’s a Fox employee and Tapper because he appears to have a clue about a journalist’s responsibility.

Cindy Munford on June 18, 2009 at 3:46 PM

anticucho on June 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM

shick on June 18, 2009 at 3:39 PM

And not only will they be beating the sick children, they will deny them needed advil to ease the pain of their bruises.

Joe Caps on June 18, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Will anyone who knows this plan is the Worst. Plan. Ever. watch this? If so, why?

ohio kat on June 18, 2009 at 3:46 PM

You can air the presentation but that’s no guarantee anyone will actually tune in.

I wouldn’t watch it even if you held a gun to my head. In fact if you did hold a gun to my head and force me to watch, I would help you pull the trigger.

Bishop on June 18, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Bishop on June 18, 2009 at 3:47 PM

We are on the same page! Thanks for keeping me company.

ohio kat on June 18, 2009 at 3:49 PM

The depths the MSM will go to to try and gain a measley point or two on FOX is laughable. They ALL latch on to BHO, his hapless crew and the drivel they spew as the easiest path to rise to the top of the ratings pile. All they will learn is how quickly you sink when standing on a pile of sh!t.

StockOption on June 18, 2009 at 3:50 PM

ABC (Administration Broadcasting Commissars)

MB4 on June 18, 2009 at 3:51 PM

I think the answer to Stossel being allowed to participate is: Not even if Hell freezes over.

I won’t be watching. I don’t know what I’ll be doing, but I am sure I’ll be busy that night.

Beaglemom on June 18, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Is the GOP establishment aware that “GOP” appears under Mrs. Malkin? She’s everything they hate: principled conservative.

SouthernGent on June 18, 2009 at 3:52 PM

The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses.

– Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

OhEssYouCowboys on June 18, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Michelle: Will libertarian John Stossel be part of ABC’s Obama infomercial?

ABC: Who is John Fossil?

faol on June 18, 2009 at 3:54 PM

From Foxnews

But ABC News spokesman Jeffrey Schneider told FOXNews.com that it has been a “longstanding” policy not to accept “advocacy” ads.

WHAT??? What do they call the Obama infomercial?

Daggett on June 18, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Stossel is a token. He should have quit like Goldberg years ago. If he’s a libertarian, how does he work with the nutty libs there, and how does he accept the fact they have no conservatives?

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Stossel and Tapper actually will be there. They won’t be allowed to speak, of course, but they will be held up as examples for why mental health care, including powerful psychotropic drugs and lobotomies, is needed. After all, one would have to be seriously mentally ill not to want Obamacare.

rbj on June 18, 2009 at 3:55 PM

If the ratings are low will The Won get a clue that the public is getting a bit weary?

Cindy Munford on June 18, 2009 at 3:56 PM

I Like Stossel. The only reason to watch 20/20. If he doesnt have a segment I change the channel.

faol on June 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I’m just waiting for them to start using terms like “bourgeoisie” and “kulaks.”

I’m not kidding.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM

not to get lost in The One’s dreamy brown eyes.

YUCK. That makes me want to spit. After the love is gone, I don’t know what I ever saw in him.

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 3:58 PM

John Stossel: FEAR THE ‘STACHE!

ScottMcC on June 18, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Will this farce never end?

LSUMama on June 18, 2009 at 4:00 PM

ABC, NBC, MSNBC, CBS, PBS, NPR, POS, SOL, KMA…..

All of these suffer from “GROUP THINK”…. They are prisoners of the Spinning “O” that begins in the middle and goes out as it spins… As they stare… they hear The O’s voice…. “You will not deviate, You will do EXACTLY as you’re told, you will not criticize me…” over and over

Glassy eyed, they stare. Unblinking they regurgitate the mantra….

CynicalOptimist on June 18, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Fox News could get a ratings bonanza out of this is they held their own forum in prime time on alternative plans, and played up the ABC-lapdog thing. They could advertise the notion that they are providing balance that the rest of the media refuses.

DaveS on June 18, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Who in The Won’s target audience has the attention span to watch another infomercial? I still can’t believe people think he is a good speaker. he…talks…like…this…

ohio kat on June 18, 2009 at 4:03 PM

The One’s dreamy brown eyes.

Racist!

DrewbieDoo on June 18, 2009 at 4:04 PM

dreamy brown eyes.

Speaking of which, I can’t remember a single thing that Michelle Malkin said in this interview. Is there a text version?

Loxodonta on June 18, 2009 at 4:04 PM

In response NBC will be show the movie Heidi and CBS will air reruns of BJ and the Bear.

faol on June 18, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Will be show? Sorry, got snoopdogitis.

faol on June 18, 2009 at 4:06 PM

A healthcare infomercial? This administration has no shame. The only way people will watch this is if Billy Mayes shows up yelling about oxyclean.

Shock the Monkey on June 18, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Reviewing the assignment log for June 24th 2009:
Stossel and Tapper will be on temporary assignment covering the Obama acorn re-education camps. The full report that follows will be processed by the Axelrod personel document processer. It is one big burn barrel out back of the O-garden.

Americannodash on June 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Shock the Monkey on June 18, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Or the Sham-wow dude.

John the Libertarian on June 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I wouldn’t read TOO much into that… the entire media is very lopsided in contributions.

DaveS on June 18, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Cindy Munford on June 18, 2009 at 3:46 PM

On camera Garret has said no, but I would believe otherwise. I remember how he was treated during the election. And we have all seen what has happened where Garret was ignored.

freeus on June 18, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Shock the Monkey on June 18, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Billy Mays is a pretty stand-up guy. My guess is they’d go with the ShamWow! dude:

“One slap of the SlapHealth will slice off 25% of your coverage; the second slap will slice off 25% of your income; slap it three times and your wait times will increase by 50%. We’re gonna make America skinny again! And hey, this stuff’s made in Germany, and you know those Germans make good stuff.”

Outlander on June 18, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Or the Sham-wow dude.

John the Libertarian on June 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Didn’t he the hell out of a prostitute when she bit his tongue? Sorry…off topic.

Shock the Monkey on June 18, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Loxodonta on June 18, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Play again, close eyes.

Cindy Munford on June 18, 2009 at 4:18 PM

That would be Al-Barak

rocinaterider on June 18, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Soon Obama will be firing Governor’s and any other dissenters in the counrty…1984!! Revolt Now

screwauger on June 18, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Stossel is immune to the mind numbing “uh…”

Upstater85 on June 18, 2009 at 4:19 PM

What we need now is an primetime special of Medicare screwups and how super awesome patient “choices” are with Medicare.

CMonster on June 18, 2009 at 4:19 PM

freeus on June 18, 2009 at 4:16 PM

I guess it wouldn’t help to whine. At least the White House doesn’t hold back.

Cindy Munford on June 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Michelle Malkin is a very impressive individual. She has a very sharp mind. And she is fearless. I am glad she is on our side.

Geochelone on June 18, 2009 at 4:21 PM

A healthcare infomercial? This administration has no shame. The only way people will watch this is if Billy Mayes shows up yelling about oxycleanontin.

Shock the Monkey on June 18, 2009 at 4:09 PM

FIFY

Big John on June 18, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Cindy Munford on June 18, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Last night on the Special Report Online show, Major said he has not been treated any differently by the Administration – he has all the access he needs, gets briefings, has private meetings, etc.; he also expressed deep resentment and disgust at how his collegues are Obama’s hookers(my word not his).

He did state that he didn’t get called on in that Presser when Fox TV didn’t carry it as retaliation.

ladyingray on June 18, 2009 at 4:24 PM

after all, and one of the precious few reporters conservatives trust not to get lost in lips planted on The One’s dreamy brown eyes.

DethMetalCookieMonst on June 18, 2009 at 4:32 PM

ABC, NBC, MSNBC, CBS, PBS, NPR, POS, SOL, KMA…..

Glassy eyed, they stare. Unblinking they regurgitate the mantra….

CynicalOptimist on June 18, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Hey LIBERALS, can any of you look us in the eye and say that the media hasn’t become an instrument for the candy coated glossing of the Obama Regime?

Anyone?

Geochelone on June 18, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Billy Mays and John Stossel walk into a bar…

…the male patrons were all instantly struck impotent and female patrons were all impregnated from the combined Beard/’Stache awesomeness.

ScottMcC on June 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM

With as crummy a viewship share this will get ABC would be better off showing 30 year old reruns of Roller Derby.

Jeff from WI on June 18, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Let them. Let the networks put up Barry and the Crew 24/7. Give me Cookie Monster with Michelle. Give me First Family Gardening Tips. Project Barry’s face on the moon. Bring out the Barrymobile to drive everyone to community service. Children can pour Barry Flakes into their cereal bowls before getting on the Happy Bus for a ride across town to Hope and Change Middle School. Stand back, folks. Barry’s agenda must be allowed to remake America.

Limerick on June 18, 2009 at 4:38 PM

ladyingray on June 18, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Well if he wasn’t treated different before I am pretty sure calling them “hookers” might not make him anyone’s BFF.

Cindy Munford on June 18, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Give me Cookie Monster with Michelle.

Sure, I would love to have a show with the Malkin.

DethMetalCookieMonst on June 18, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Wasn’t ABC the one network that MM and HA championed for asking tough questions of Obama and Clinton in last year’s presidential debate?

M_Laveau on June 18, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Why doesn’t someone from the GOP (or really anyone at all at this point) do the same thing showing the costs (financial and otherwise) associated with a government-run healthcare system on another channel such as Fox?

BeantownModerate on June 18, 2009 at 4:50 PM

I used to have a favorable opinion of ABC News, home of Jake Tapper, and the only network during the Democrat primary debates to ask Obama some tough questions, but no more. They are on my boycot list, no NBC, CBS, ABC, or any of thier affiliates will be watched by me.

As for the paid commercials, they should blast them on all the other channels while this “programming” is being run, I suspect they will be seen by more people than those tuning in to the All Barrack Channel.

bspoogeferd on June 18, 2009 at 4:55 PM

The One is to speak.

Stop and lay praise.

bwconq on June 18, 2009 at 4:58 PM

For the first time in about 7 months I contributed to the RNC to counter the “All Bozo Channel (ABC).”

farright on June 18, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I predict that the birth rate for Conservative households is about to go up, as watching tv is no longer an entertainment option.

redwhiteblue on June 18, 2009 at 5:19 PM

I wonder if they’ll show Michelle Obama working in the garden, burying the United States Constitution…..

adamsmith on June 18, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Are they trying to make the Right embrace the Fairness Doctrine?

njcommuter on June 18, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Why is there no protest and/or threats to boycott the products of Advertisers who pay for adds on ABC?

It is working against Letterman…

Jessee Jackson and Al Sharpton use that tactic all the time…

GeorgiaDoe on June 18, 2009 at 7:24 PM

All Bullsh*t Channel in a Quid pro quo… a favour for a favour, you scratch my back, and I’ll scratch yours payback for the tour. Total loss of cred, total lack of conscience.

RalphyBoy on June 18, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Just-don’t-watch-ABC…..or for that matter, any of the caped boy wonder productions with a teleprompter. I can get my news from various internet sites and more often the video bullet points, minus having to watch the wagging finger and the frowns of disdain crinkling up his forehead (to show his grave sincerity). Our MM is right, they should have to register as a lobbyist.

24K lady on June 18, 2009 at 7:49 PM

wow….is she married? I know the answer I just keep imagining..

shortdawgdc on June 18, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Whenever I see this intelligent, articulate, and yes, lovely, lady speaking, I get reminded of when that effeminate ballerina Chrissie Matthews gave her such a rough time. Still makes my blood boil; just wish ol’ Zell could have carried out his threat of a duel with Prissy Chrissie.

Elessar on June 18, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I find John Stossel to be smug and infinitely annoying. Won’t be watching anyway so I could care less which money for nothing pseudojournalists are or aren’t there.

BTW, excellent idea:

DaveS on June 18, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 18, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Nice crack at the end: “Good luck out there in Denver without the skiing.”

1) Last I checked, Denver proper maintains no actual ski resorts within its city limits.
2) Who needs skiing when you’ve got days and weeks of late afternoon thunderstorms, hail storms and tornadoes such as we’ve been subject to of late? It’s been a very unusual late May/early June here so far.
3) There are myriad other things an intellectual and family-oriented person like Michelle Malkin would do in Denver and Colorado. I’m sure she’s savvy enough to ferret them out.

Just had to get that off my chest. Scarlet out.

Captain Scarlet on June 19, 2009 at 4:32 AM

At what point does such blatant bias become a matter for registering a flood of complaints to the FCC against every ABC station, due to failing to serve the public interest, or some such?

fyzycyst on June 19, 2009 at 7:03 AM

Don,t know all the facts but i have heard that Mr Stossel is close to making a deal with the fox broadcast network for a one,s week news show.I think he wants away from ABC fast .We can only hope.

thmcbb on June 19, 2009 at 7:28 AM

The hysterical, non-stop laughter you hear boiling up from the bowels of Hell would be Joseph Goebbels.

oldleprechaun on June 19, 2009 at 7:49 AM

Michelle, another great exposee. I have been trying to think of new title that ABC can be an acronym for. Yours is so appropriate and probably coined in no time at all.

Everyone, remember the late and great “All Barack Channel” that is still showing American Bandstand, and Dick Clark.

MSGTAS on June 19, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Don’t forget that Disney owns ABC. Vote with your wallets.

Also – I betcha the employees of ABC and Disney have pretty sweet health insurance plans. Are these Obamatons willing to give that up in exchange for a public plan run by government bureaucrats who will ration care?

I rather doubt it, but they are such love struck dunces they don’t realize that they will be screwed by the object of their cultish affection.

Buy Danish on June 19, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Michelle Malkin is oh so hot. She gets even hotter when she speaks.

76United on June 19, 2009 at 3:54 PM