Hillary demands settlement closure in Israel, but not freedom in Iran

posted at 10:55 am on June 18, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Under any other circumstances, this press conference with Hillary Clinton and Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman would be a national embarrassment.  In the Obama administration, it’s just business as usual.  While Hillary demanded an end to settlement expansion in the presser and gave a not-so-subtle scolding to Lieberman and by extension Benjamin Netanyahu, the most she could bring herself to say about Iran was that the US wanted to work with them, and that free speech is a good thing.

The Financial Times called it “one of the most tense encounters” of the last several years between Israel and the US, and for good reason:

Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, clashed face to face with her Israeli counterpart on Wednesday as the two countries remained at loggerheads over the expansion of settlements in occupied territory.

In what appeared one of the most tense encounters between the sides for several years, Mrs Clinton and Avigdor Lieberman, Israel’s foreign minister, disagreed on both the US call for a complete freeze on settlement growth and Israel’s contention that the administration of George W. Bush, the former president, had signalled that some expansion was permissible.

“We cannot accept this vision about absolutely, completely freezing all settlements,” Mr Lieberman said.

In response, Mrs Clinton underlined the US call for a “stop to the settlements”, a move she described as “an important and essential part of pursuing the efforts leading to a comprehensive peace agreement”.

The US seems a bit lost in this hyperfocus on settlements.  Settlements are not the main cause of the conflict; they are an issue to be handled in final negotiations, like Jerusalem and borders, once both sides accept the other and have security measures in place to stop attacks.  Rudely demanding in a press conference that Israel unilaterally concede on settlements without any concessions at all from the Palestinians or other Arab states is not only amateurish diplomacy, it’s just flat-out useless.  Israel dismantled the settlements in Gaza and withdrew, and that not only failed to improve the situation, it created a terrorist state of Hamastan in Gaza, which has launched attacks almost non-stop against Israel ever since.  Does the Obama administration read the newspapers at all?

While Hillary scolds our democratic ally, she soothes the repressive mullahcracy that is threatened by an uprising of its own people, demanding real democracy for the first time in decades.  The best she can offer for the Iranian protestors is a sop to free speech and an acknowledgment that ballots should be counted fairly.  Click the image to watch, and to read more reaction from Israel Matzav.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Nothing unusual. Rahm’s type is talked about at every Passover seder in the parable of the four sons. He is the evil son.

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM

What causes the wicked son?

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 11:49 AM

How soon before the US resembles the old Soviet Union?
How soon before we have million person marches on Washington?
The Obama way is not working. Time to MOVE ON, I HOPE we can CHANGE the way things are being done & soon. The economy is the number one issue.
Obama needs to butt out of Israel. Israel will soon start helping the students in Iran. I HOPE Israel will come help America as well.

izoneguy on June 18, 2009 at 11:50 AM

You’re close with one exception; they want all Jews dead. Taking the land is just step one. The scary part is the rise in anti-semitism and support for anti-Israeli movements in Europe. Of all places, you’d think they would “Never Forget”.

Mark Steyn noted that when Israel falls, the west will fall. We’re half-way there.

Laura in Maryland on June 18, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I dunno. Recent electoral results in the Netherlands and UK make me wonder if the pendulum isn’t starting to swing back. The BNP is an example of what can happen when overcompensation happens. Lots of agendas mixed in the circus.

a capella on June 18, 2009 at 11:51 AM

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM

What causes the wicked son?

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 11:49 AM

The power as Vizier? The Judaism is a sham? What about his father in Israel?

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM

A note about Rahm Emanuel…underreported is the longterm hatefest between Emanuel and Bibi Netanyahu.

The CJ Political Report on June 18, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Rahm was in the Clinton White House when Clinton helped send money and campaign consultants, including James Carville, to help get Ehud Barak elected against Netanyahu. I suspect Rahm was actually the architect of that policy, but it blew up in his face when Yasser Arafat crapped all over Clinton’s “roadmap” and robbed him of his Nobel Peace Prize. Instead of admitting they blew it and blaming Arafat, they blamed Netanyahu for undermining Barak at home.

Like any good Chicago mobster, Rahm never forgets an enemy.

rockmom on June 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Negotiate with brutal dictators? Check
Demand concessions from ally? Check
NOT support a once in a lifetime democratic revolt in a totalitarian theocratic State? Check

Par for the course for the Obama Admin.

Yakko77 on June 18, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Yet jews are decrying those same election results. Read

European Left Is More Dangerous for Jews than the European Right

Jewish groups in Europe and the United States have reacted with alarm to the gains made by far-right political parties in the recent elections for European Parliament. Right-wing and nationalist parties posted significant victories in Austria, Britain, Denmark, Hungary, Romania and the Netherlands in four days of voting that ended on June 7.

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 11:55 AM

a capella on June 18, 2009 at 11:51 AM

My 11:55 comment was for you. Sorry.

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I still don’t think Obama’s Israel policy would be any different with Livni. Except that Israel would be in worse shape.

myrenovations on June 18, 2009 at 11:56 AM

What causes the wicked son?

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 11:49 AM

He’s just a natural part of the world. Every family’s got them.

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Like any good Chicago mobster, Rahm never forgets an enemy.

rockmom on June 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Good info. tks.

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 11:57 AM

He’s just a natural part of the world. Every family’s got them.

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 11:57 AM

His father praised him.

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I guess that “lifetime of experience” and dodging sniper fire wasn’t enough to prepare Hillary for actual diplomacy after all. And she wanted to be President? An empty pantsuit if there ever was one, one fitting perfectly within the empty-suit presidency we’re currently going broke under while wallowing on the world stage. People like her shouldn’t EVER be let out in public.

bradley11 on June 18, 2009 at 12:00 PM

“Them Jews.”

mankai on June 18, 2009 at 11:17 AM

You forget, it should read “then Zionist”. Get it straight mankai! LOL!

This is a fine example of clusterfark! Does anyone read the comment sections to some of the Jewish news outlets? Saying we are sorry is not going to work if they are attacked. We are neck deep here!

To all the idiots who would not listen when we gave you proof that Obama and Gang hated the Jews, I slap you up side your head!

To all Jews, whether you got it then or now, many of us pray to the God of Abraham for your safety, your preservation as a nation, and for better relations in the future. I and others do not support this Administration’s ideologies, or policies. May God forgive America!

freeus on June 18, 2009 at 12:01 PM

then=them

freeus on June 18, 2009 at 12:02 PM

His father praised him.

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I assume you mean when his father tried to assure Israelis that Rahm would not be a threat to Israel. Do you remember what Rahm said about his father right after?

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Do you remember what Rahm said about his father right after?

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I don’t. But I would like to know.

myrenovations on June 18, 2009 at 12:06 PM

How can you ‘count the ballots fairly’ when you don’t know which are valid or fraudulent to begin with? Looks like both Hillary and Obama are not ready for the 3am phone call. Hillary is doing nothing to enhance her Presidential ambitions by her shameful and disgraceful conduct on Iran.

eaglewingz08 on June 18, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Do you remember what Rahm said about his father right after?

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 12:03 PM

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 12:09 PM

eaglewingz08 on June 18, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Easy, you recount the ballots and certify that yes, Ahmageddonajad did indeed win 98.6% of the vote.

Saddam always had official recounts of Iraqi elections too.

Bishop on June 18, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Rahm’s father trying to assuage Israeli concerns that the idiot messiah would threaten Israel:

In the interview, Benjamin Emanuel was reported as saying: “Obviously, he will influence the president to be pro-Israel. Why wouldn’t he? What is he, an Arab? He’s not going to clean the floors of the White House.”

Rahm responded to his father with this:

From the fullness of my heart, I personally apologize on behalf of my family and me. These are not the values upon which I was raised or those of my family.

Rahm declares that his father is not part of his family. Seeing what’s happened, I’m sure his father wishes that Rahm weren’t part of his family.

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 12:15 PM

eaglewingz08 on June 18, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Hillary should break free from her own controlling Mullah.

izoneguy on June 18, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Is it true that Hillary tripped and cracked her elbow?

My mom used to say if I misbehaved and was not caught, God would finish the job.

Looks like Hillary was caught.

HornetSting on June 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Does anyone think that Hillary would have made a better president? I didn’t think so.

BetseyRoss on June 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Thank you. I remember hearing the apology for the Arab thing but not the full extent of the quote or the implications.

myrenovations on June 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM

What some people in both the US and Israel don’t seem to understand is that the Obama administration wants either a full Israeli surrender or a clash with Israel. By being seen as playing the heavy against Israel, the Obama administration enhances its status with the Arab-Muslim world to which President Obama wants to play. Secretary of State Clinton – notorious for having made kissy kissy with Soha Arafat moments after the latter accused Israel of poisoning Gaza’s water – is more than happy to play along with Obama’s aspirations on this score.

Key of what Carl/Israel Matzav said.

Which is why it was so dangerous for that moron Jimmy Carter to be cruising around in Palestine with Hamas. Can you imagine if he had been killed, and Hamas said Israel did it! Is the correct way to say it, “Oy vey!”?

Some of us saw this in big, neon, flashing letters coming like a freight train. Rockmom was spot on about Rahmbo! Three-fourths of Chicago rolls with the most anti-Semite people in America. Rashid Khalidi, Edward Said, Ayers, Farrkhan, etc., etc. Hell, Obama’s Rezko home was not to far from Farrakhan’s house! It is like a cabal of evil in that area!

My only concern is the Likud party is going to fracture. Netanyahu MUST defy Obama. The Israelis must unite and defy Obama’s attempts to dismantle the settlements. Talk about a rebellion Americans must support!

We get it Carl. We know what you know. Not enough of us do, but we are in the process of informing the electorate. Please be patient with us.

freeus on June 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM

BetseyRoss on June 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Better than obama? My cat, who is currently being groomed to be leader of the free world, would do a better job than both of them.

Any of the three candidates would be a bust.

HornetSting on June 18, 2009 at 12:21 PM

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Thank you. You have cleared up a mystery for me.

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Is it true that Hillary tripped and cracked her elbow?

Looks like Hillary was caught.

HornetSting on June 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Most appropriate.

Shy Guy on June 18, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Any of the three candidates would be a bust.

HornetSting on June 18, 2009 at 12:21 PM

But only the idiot messiah really hated the US enough to push through all this anti-AMerican legistlation and excutive orders, while hiding behind his skin and the whole affirmative action shield that the press has built into a nearly impenetrable wall.

Neither Shrillary nor McCain could have pushed through such moronic legislation, as the Porkulus, gloating that it had to be signed without reading. Only the idiot messiah was able to do insane things like that and only because he represents the ultimate in affirmative action.

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 12:24 PM

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I said nearly these exact same words after each and every one of my Jewish family members voted for Obama. This is a very personal issue.

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I thought liberals didn’t want the US to meddle in the ME?

Bevan on June 18, 2009 at 12:27 PM

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I hear you. My family is unusual in our hard right orientation, but I have told every Jew who supported the idiot messiah what a despicable traitor (to America and Israel) I considered them to be. And I have referenced the wicked son very often in my conversations with them. Many a Shabbat dinner has featured that son in my talks with supporters of The Precedent. Many people have not returned for more dinners.

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Many people have not returned for more dinners.

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM

They have made their bed …

OldEnglish on June 18, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Many people have not returned for more dinners.

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 12:46 PM

The Obama Doctrine: Alienating allies, comforting dictators.

Smart Power!

james23 on June 18, 2009 at 12:54 PM

If I had to choose between Obama/Hillary’s regime or Israel, I’ll take Israel. We continue to prove how inept this newly elected U.S. gubbmit is these days, and the whole world is watching.

24K lady on June 18, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Only an IDIOT backs the group trying to wipe out Gods Chosen People

Jeff from WI on June 18, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Is it true that Hillary tripped and cracked her elbow?

Looks like Hillary was caught.

HornetSting on June 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM
Most appropriate.

Shy Guy on June 18, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Thank you for that! I’ll have to tell my mother!

HornetSting on June 18, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Any of the three candidates would be a bust.

HornetSting on June 18, 2009 at 12:21 PM

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Tru dat, but I think the creep of socialism and amnesty for illegals would have been on the agenda…which would be about as bad as pulling our pants down in front of our enemies!
…..And, Mccain also wanted Gitmo closed.

HornetSting on June 18, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Israel better realize that their “American Allies” aren’t the Democrats, and not the American Jews, it’s the Republican Evangelical Christians.

Jeff from WI on June 18, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Only an IDIOT backs the group trying to wipe out Gods Chosen People

Jeff from WI on June 18, 2009 at 12:57 PM

My thoughts exactly. Which makes you wonder if he has read the Bible?

LSUMama on June 18, 2009 at 1:14 PM

BetseyRoss on June 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM

the lint in my belly button would be a better President than Obama.

mjk on June 18, 2009 at 1:16 PM

My thoughts exactly. Which makes you wonder if he has read the Bible?

LSUMama on June 18, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Oh he read the Bible. With Rev. Wright. Rev. Wright probably taught that the Africans are God’s chosen people and the zionists all keep them down.
Kind of like when Nazis read the Bible and found that Moses, Abraham, Jesus, Paul, etc were all nice blond Aryans.

mjk on June 18, 2009 at 1:18 PM

My thoughts exactly. Which makes you wonder if he has read the Bible?

LSUMama on June 18, 2009 at 1:14 PM

mjk on June 18, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I see your point .

LSUMama on June 18, 2009 at 1:22 PM

How about letting Israel settle Iran?

Let’s bring the paranoia to its full conclusion and back an Israel that is many times the kingdom of David?

I’m all for it. Go Israel!!!

Hening on June 18, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I’ve said it before and will say it again. This administration is hellbent on creating as much global chaos and crisis as possible. Hillary is a disciple of Saul Alinsky just like Chairman ObaMao. They are singling out Israel and trying to polarize it. They want as much global destabilization as possible in order to consolidate not just domestic power, but global power. Mark my words, they want to create the environment for WWIII.

TheAdmiral on June 18, 2009 at 1:30 PM

admiral: but bambi & co can’t get global power for themselves personally if they keep on acting like idjits unless they had a deal with the other global power seekers before the election. which is where Soros comes in.

even if you agree with everything bambi does, would you still think he has the grit to be king of the world? me thinks not.

kelley in virginia on June 18, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I’m late so I didn’t read all the responses but has Mexico demanded that we freeze all settlements of it’s “Occupied territory?”

The settlements have never been an obstacle to peace…the Jews still living and breathing are the real obstacle. The Arabs have demanded this to their constituencies from day one to June 18, 2009.

Why does the left hate Jews so? (rhetorical)

larvcom on June 18, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Jeff from WI on June 18, 2009 at 1:11 PM

From what I’ve ever read, they understand this completely, and to confuse American secular jews with most Israelis is a mistake. I think most secular Am. jews made their split with Israel about the same time as they stopped their religious beliefs in favor of liberalism.

JiangxiDad on June 18, 2009 at 2:28 PM

From “The Reagan Plan,” Reagan’s proposal regarding the Israeli/Palestinian conflict:

“The United States will not support the use of any additional land for the purpose of settlements during the transition period. Indeed, the immediate adoption of a settlement freeze by Israel, more than any other action, could create the confidence needed for wider participation in these talks. Further settlement activity is in no way necessary for the security of Israel and only diminishes the confidence of the Arabs and a final outcome can be freely and fairly negotiated.

“I want to make the American position clearly understood: the purpose of this transition period is the peaceful and orderly transfer of domestic authority from Israel to the Palestinian inhabitants of the West Bank and Gaza.”

You can read Reagan’s complete statement at http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Peace/reaganplan.html

Fact is, every president since at least Nixon opposed the Israeli settlements.

I have felt that every president since Johnson has been too weak in their support of Israel. But I agree with all of them regarding the settlements.

dikehopper on June 18, 2009 at 2:39 PM

BetseyRoss on June 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM

When she accepted the position, she proved that she was willing to sacrifice her “supposed” positions and subjugate them to the “community organizer” (her words). Proves she stands for nothing but her personal image. Don’t think she could carry Sarah’s water. At least Sarah stands for something.

hillbilly on June 18, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Prediction: Jews will vote for Obama by an 80/20 split in 2012 like they did in 2008.

You can’t fix stupid.

angryed on June 18, 2009 at 3:31 PM

….and then her arm was broken. Maybe she should be a little more careful how she treats Israel in the future….
to be continued….

Reality Check on June 19, 2009 at 12:02 AM

The Lefty’s comeback essentially was it’s okay to meddle in the affairs of allies but not enemies. That’s quintessentially Lefty logic in a nutshell.

TheBigOldDog on June 18, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Yep. The worst thing to be, today, is an ally of America. It is the kiss of death, literally.

progressoverpeace on June 18, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Just another manifestation of the Democrat Disease: the tendency to give your enemies anything they want while treating your allies with contempt. It makes no sense, but it’s been standard Democratic foreign policy since McGovern.

For all JFK’s faults as a president, he would have never understood this kind of thinking.

BTW, all of you who were encouraged to see Hillary nominated for Secretary of State: are you ready to concede yet that she has nothing to offer?

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on June 19, 2009 at 2:09 AM