Hamas helping Iran crack heads?

posted at 1:35 pm on June 17, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

One might think that the Iranian Guardian Council has enough thug power in the Revolutionary Guard to keep a lid on the Iranian people.  The Jerusalem Post reports that the Guardian Council itself doesn’t have that level of confidence.  Protestors claimt that Hamas has begun assisting the regime in cracking heads, and have a different view of Israel as a result (via Yid with Lid):

“The most important thing that I believe people outside of Iran should be aware of,” the young man went on, “is the participation of Palestinian forces in these riots.”

Another protester, who spoke as he carried a kitchen knife in one hand and a stone in the other, also cited the presence of Hamas in Teheran.

On Monday, he said, “my brother had his ribs beaten in by those Palestinian animals. Taking our people’s money is not enough, they are thirsty for our blood too.”

It was ironic, this man said, that the victorious Ahmadinejad “tells us to pray for the young Palestinians, suffering at the hands of Israel.” His hope, he added, was that Israel would “come to its senses” and ruthlessly deal with the Palestinians.

When asked if these militia fighters could have been mistaken for Lebanese Shi’ites, sent by Hizbullah, he rejected the idea. “Ask anyone, they will tell you the same thing. They [Palestinian extremists] are out beating Iranians in the streets… The more we gave this arrogant race, the more they want… [But] we will not let them push us around in our own country.”

This makes Jimmy Carter’s latest idiotic kowtowing to Palestinian terrorists even more stupid:

Former President Jimmy Carter will urge the Obama administration to remove Hamas from the terrorist list, FOX News has learned.

Carter, a chief defender of the U.S.-designated terror group, said Tuesday he will meet with officials in the Obama administration in two days to discuss his latest trip to the Middle East.

Meanwhile, two Palestinian sources told FOX News that the group had discovered two roadside bombs planted near a crossing between Israel and Gaza on a path Carter’s convoy took to meet with the group’s leaders — Hamas advisers, though, reportedly cast doubt on claims that extremists were trying to kill Carter.

Reports from crises like the one unfolding in Iran are not always reliable.  The Post cites two sources, but still, many claims will have to get sorted out after the crisis resolves itself, one way or another.

What is beyond dispute, though, is the Guardian Council’s funding and support for Hamas, and the latter’s almost-total reliance on Tehran for their existence.  If the Iranian regime falls, Hamas will be left without funding or protection.  They have plenty of reasons to provide loyal service to their Iranian masters, perhaps more than the Revolutionary Guard itself.

The death of Hamas could be yet another salutary effect of a people’s revolution in Iran, and yet another reason that the US should be cheering the protestors instead of engaging the regime.