ABC to broadcast town hall on health care — from the White House

posted at 2:05 pm on June 16, 2009 by Allahpundit

The most important domestic policy debate in a generation, with nothing less than the nature of the relationship between American citizens and their government at stake, and not only isn’t the GOP invited but the media’s setting up camp literally inside Obama’s house. Imagine a Republican Congress introducing a bill to repeal Social Security and Fox News running a special on it live from RNC headquarters. I’m honestly surprised, although it makes a certain sort of ruthless sense: If, as many righties have speculated, The One’s trying to ram through as many Great Society programs as he can before the political pendulum swings back to the center, the media might as well drop all pretense of objectivity and go for broke too. What’s more important, after all, impartial coverage or “free” health care?

On the night of June 24, the media and government become one, when ABC turns its programming over to President Obama and White House officials to push government run health care — a move that has ignited an ethical firestorm!

Highlights on the agenda:

ABCNEWS anchor Charlie Gibson will deliver WORLD NEWS from the Blue Room of the White House.

The network plans a primetime special — ‘Prescription for America’ — originating from the East Room, exclude opposing voices on the debate.

The RNC fears it’ll be a “glorified infomercial” but ABC assures us the infomercial will be fully under its control, with no input from Team Barry — except, of course, for the use of the White House to broadcast the special and that evening’s airing of ABC World News. Oh, and the total lack of any official Republican counterpoint, which Obama surely could have insisted on on if he was as serious about making this a “bipartisan” issue as he claims. To see how open and honest the debate on this subject really is, read Geraghty’s analysis of the left’s latest Two Minutes Hate, in which the AMA suddenly finds itself targeted by Media Matters, Kossacks, and assorted other Obama water-carriers for daring to oppose a public plan. Like I say, they’re going for broke.

Comments

Of course there will be “objectivity” by ABC News. They’ll ask Obama to “respond” to criticism of his proposal, which they’ll set up in straw-man like fashion (“Critics say this is socialism. What say you?”) that Obama can easily knock down (“This isn’t socialism, because you still have private choice! And Mitt Romney, no socialist, did the same thing in Taxachusetts.”)

Sickening.

Outlander on June 16, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Yesterday, Obama said to the AMA, “To make healthcare affordable, we will need to spend 1 trillion dollars over the next 10 years…”

Does that sound absurd to anyone else?

JAM on June 16, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Ahh..great…Now we’ll answer the age old question,is Brian Williams or Charlie Gibson the bigger Obama fart sniffer?

Jeff from WI on June 16, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Let’s be clear about one thing – the Statists don’t give a rat’s rear about “the people’s” health and well being – if they did, they would do something different than the abomination know as the societal safety net in this country – Medicare, Medicaid, the VA,…..

All they care about is the attainment of power, so the next time they whine about how bad things are, ask them how the “War on Poverty” is going, or any of the other myriad of failed programs that have only made the problems worse, and that the best excuse they have is that they had “Good Intentions”.

/rant

Chainsaw56 on June 16, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Haven’t and won’t watch any of those MSMs.

Last time I watched Gibson was when he whined to
WJC about passing more gun laws or doing more to
take guns away. Budda said he’s doing the best he can
or someting like that.

Gibsons a royal pain. . Can’t stand him or his down your
nose BS.

Texyank on June 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Media Matters, Kossacks, and assorted other Obama water-carriers ars-kissers, cork-suckers, etc.

Schadenfreude on June 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM

You can be certain that Clintoon promoter hack and ABC “employee” George Stephanopoulos will be just off camera with his megaphone, director’s chair and clapping like a trained seal.

Unless he’s directly on camera with megaphone, director’s chair and clapping like a trained seal.

viking01 on June 16, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Who’s the lucky worshiper that gets to wash his feet on national TV?

Cybergeezer on June 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Let’s not besmirch Billy Mays and his ilk with association with ABC. Ever see Pitchmen? Billy Mays very annoyingly (but effectively) pitches stuff small-time inventors make in a way where the inventor gets to maximize his or her profits from the invention.

ABC has whored itself out to the government the media is charged with “keeping honest” by using the imprimatur of its “news” show to pitch the legislative agenda of the President’s party.

Apologize to Billy Mays!

Sekhmet on June 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Propaganda to sway the populace as my beloved United States falls again into tyranny like before 1776.

All in the name of the people…

Time, I think, for me to apply for a gun permit.

Liam on June 16, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Sekhmet on June 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM

True. Billy Mays only wants to screw us out of $19.95 plus shipping and handling. ABC wants to screw us out of a nation.

viking01 on June 16, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I wonder how this will impact their viewer share during the time period.

I think the people are getting tired of see ‘Teh One’ on TV, so the viewer share will be low.

I have no intention of watching, then again, maybe I’ll watch enough to make a note of the sponsors’ products that I don’t need to buy, and maybe send off a little note to the sponsors that until ABC has a better venue, I’ll pass on their products.

belad on June 16, 2009 at 5:18 PM

belad on June 16, 2009 at 5:18 PM

That’s the only reason I can see to watch the SRM

Insert witty screen name here on June 16, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Fox News should do a telecast from the RNC the same night. Let’s see which one gets bigger ratings.

Erich66 on June 16, 2009 at 5:24 PM

FOX should run a “Lie to Me” Marathon during King Tut’s informercial…………

Seven Percent Solution on June 16, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Sekhmet on June 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM

viking01 on June 16, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Ever try that Kaboom! stuff?

I picked it up the first time because it was cheap. I will pick it up again because it kicked the azz of every soap scum product I have ever tried before. I was not screwed by Billy Mays. The monetary sex was entirely consensual!

Sekhmet on June 16, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Would love to see Charlie Gibson, sit in his rocking chair with his glasses over his nose and treat Obama like an undergrad student like he did with Palin.
Ask him where the porkulus money went
Ask him about his birth certificate, his college grades, his true citizenship.
Ask him about the culture of corruption that is all over his administration
Ask him about giving our money to European banks and Hamas!
Ask him about missile defense reductions in the face of N Korea’s missile launches
Ask him about admitting that he really is a socialist and that Bill Ayers is really a trusted advisor.
Ask him about his stupid comments on America being one of the largest Islamic nations and not a Christian nation
Ask him etc., etc.
Never happen, but I can dream, can’t I?

Christian Conservative on June 16, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Someday, Charlie Gibson, Brian Williams and Katie Couric, will be anchoring from Hell. Olbermann & Mathews will be there for “color” commentary.

Jeff from WI on June 16, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Bring the people to the King, not the king to the people.

It’s good to be duh king.

portlandon on June 16, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Christian Conservative on June 16, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Bwahahahaha!!

I get a laugh just thinking about that.

Zam88 on June 16, 2009 at 6:16 PM

If not were for Lost i’d never watch ABC again.

Falz on June 16, 2009 at 2:41 PM

I’m a huge Lost fan, too. But if our troops in Iraq can do without the comforts of home, I can do without Lost. We are all soldiers in this war. Time to turn off ALL ABC shows as well as boycott their sponsors.

BitterClinger on June 16, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Soon you’ll all be old like me, and find out that,except for the NFL in the fall,there’s NOTHING good on TV.

Jeff from WI on June 16, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Call and email your local ABC affiliates. I’ve sent mine the message that if this runs I’ll never watch their local news again.

roux on June 16, 2009 at 6:44 PM

The thing I’m really curious about is the audience. ABC makes a big production in their statement about the fact that they and they alone will select the audience who gets to ask questions. The White House will have no part in it.

…so, how does that selection work, exactly?

(I can’t be the only person who flashed back to the YouTube debate where pretty much *every other person* picked to ask a question for the Republicans turned out to be a Democratic activist.)

Well-Armed Lamb on June 16, 2009 at 6:45 PM

My level of disgust with the MSM cannot be adequately described in words. I am hoping to awake from this nightmare and get back to a Free, capitalist USA that I grew up in. I cannot be from the same f’in planet as these people. I am living in bizaro world. This is alll leading to a very bad ending…

jwp1964 on June 16, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Like Krauthammer said, “I’m outraged out.” Every single day there’s another gasping outrage from this Administration and their State Run Media. Early on, I remained in a state of angst and anxiety. Today, I just have to laugh.

Give ’em enough rope — Only good thing is even the kool aid drinkers laugh today when the media proclaims objectivity.

I hope someone is documenting these daily lies, hypocrisy and biases. Will make a great book. The history of these years is proof of the old adage, “truth is stranger than fiction.”

SoldiersMom on June 16, 2009 at 6:49 PM

p.s. – No one could make this s%*t up!

SoldiersMom on June 16, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I hope someone is documenting these daily lies, hypocrisy and biases.

Usually that job would belong to the media…I think you already know the answer to your question.

jwp1964 on June 16, 2009 at 6:58 PM

i like free health care, at least it speaks its mind and stands behind what it says. i bet it would be great fun at a party.

equanimous on June 16, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Well kids, are we all going to get little cups of koolaid in the mail on the 23rd and 24th so we can drink it during the big show? Don’t want to be unprepared!

InTheBellyoftheBeast on June 16, 2009 at 7:22 PM

State Media – Relax folks, it is finally here! Now we don’t have to think on our own. Good because my head was starting to hurt.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on June 16, 2009 at 7:25 PM

ABC’s new logo

Spread this around.

Alexander on June 16, 2009 at 7:30 PM

ABC trying to out-whore NBC and become Obama’s favorite propaganda arm candy is an old story. Drudge and HA missed the action.

The airing of “Earth 2100” was the night the entire ABC network jumped in Obama’s bed.
Obama must have called ABC the morning after to set up this next date. It was such creepy corporate brainwashing that even the liberals were shocked and ashamed.

As a liberal on this board, and a tree hugger to the end; I have to admit that it was absolutely horrendous. It sucked. The presented it like the climate would change like a light being switched on. Do or die.

I don’t doubt that there is some scientific evidence to what they presented. It appears as thought they took the most extreme views out there and took them as the only views.

It was horrible.

From another reaction:

The ‘fictional’ character who is telling the story speaks of how much ‘hope’ she gets from seeing all the solar technologies etc., as she is saying all this they have some musical interlude where they have Obama’s voice speaking about how all the changes we made in the past saved us (in the shows present) etc. It really sounded like Obama actually personally recorded this in a studio just for this propaganda piece.

econavenger on June 16, 2009 at 8:13 PM

And just to be clear, Earth 2100 was an ABC News propaganda story of hope and change.

econavenger on June 16, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Oh the humanity……sitting smack dab in the middle of a thunderstorm tornado watch. The sirens have gone off twice. Just caught my significant other watching the warning on our localABC. Told him thanks for the good and regret the bad bad but I will just go to the basement and HOPE for the best and take my chances.

proudteadrinker on June 16, 2009 at 10:24 PM

p.s. – No one could make this s%*t up!

SoldiersMom

Orwell and Rand tried. They thought they were writing fiction. I wonder if they really knew they were writing future history.

SKYFOX on June 17, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Where’s the pay czar. If anyone needs salary caps it is these shithead media anchors. Wonder how his wife or mother feels about him felating O on TV.

bluegrass on June 17, 2009 at 8:54 AM

We interrupt your daily life for an important message from “Big Brother”.

Oooo Baaaa Maaa Aaaa, Oooo Baaaa Maaa Aaaa, Oooo Baaaa Maaa Aaaa, Oooo Baaaa Maaa Aaaa, Oooo Baaaa Maaa Aaaa.

This message will be reapeated every hour until you fully submit to the One’s health care and other policies without question.

MSGTAS on June 17, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Oops repeated misspelled. But message is the same.

MSGTAS on June 17, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Sorry grandma, we’ve got a call into the “Broken Hip Czar”,but they say he’s on vacation for the next two weeks.We’ll leave you here, on the gurney, so you’ll be first in line when he gets back to possibly OK your operation.

Jeff from WI on June 17, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Has anyone told Charlie Gibson’s family what a worthless piece of cow dung that he really is?

Jeff from WI on June 17, 2009 at 1:17 PM