Gallup Poll: Choosing sides

posted at 2:15 pm on June 15, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Today’s Gallup poll has generated a lot of e-mail today, with conservatives claiming victory in the battle for public opinion.  True, it does show self-described conservatives outstripping moderates and liberals, but in this case the mechanism appears more to be a retreat in the middle:

Thus far in 2009, 40% of Americans interviewed in national Gallup Poll surveys describe their political views as conservative, 35% as moderate, and 21% as liberal. This represents a slight increase for conservatism in the U.S. since 2008, returning it to a level last seen in 2004. The 21% calling themselves liberal is in line with findings throughout this decade, but is up from the 1990s.

These annual figures are based on multiple national Gallup surveys conducted each year, in some cases encompassing more than 40,000 interviews. The 2009 data are based on 10 separate surveys conducted from January through May. Thus, the margins of error around each year’s figures are quite small, and changes of only two percentage points are statistically significant.

To measure political ideology, Gallup asks Americans to say whether their political views are very conservative, conservative, moderate, liberal, or very liberal. As has been the case each year since 1992, very few Americans define themselves at the extremes of the political spectrum. Just 9% call themselves “very conservative” and 5% “very liberal.” The vast majority of self-described liberals and conservatives identify with the unmodified form of their chosen label.

The graph at Gallup makes this more clear.  Conservatives peaked in 2003-4, if you can call a net two-point shift in a steady series of polls a “peak”.  Self-identified conservatives have for the past thirteen years remained in a range between 37% and 40%, which is not far outside the margin of error.

The real story is the shift in both liberals and moderates.  Over the last seventeen years, self-described liberals have steadily increased from 17% to 22% of the population, falling back a single point in the latest survey.  Moderates have declined from 43% to 35%, an eight-point drop, the most significant change over time in the poll.  They lost two points in the past year, after an election that supposedly hailed their return to control over the political process.

All three groups are important, and all three are relevant, regardless of the claims of triumphalists on either pole.  Conservativism clearly has not lost any ground, and as the big-spending policies of the Obama administration unfold, one can expect a greater increase in both numbers and passion for conservatives.  Liberals, too, will rally to their first White House in eight years.  As Obama continues to push his hard-Left agenda, expect the moderates to decline even further as American voters choose sides.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

still hopeful!

homesickamerican on June 15, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Please keep that hope alive and keep you eyes on the prize:

Take back the Senate in 2010!

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Sorry, guys….but I think you’re NUTS to not see the benefits of this.

Whatever.

You are welcome to your pretend policies issued by Blue Cross. LOL*

I don’t get it, frankly.

The insurance industry is ripping you off like mad.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:02 PM

The insurance industry is ripping you off like mad.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Not nearly as madly as our government is.

myrenovations on June 15, 2009 at 3:03 PM

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:51 PM

it’s a huge step for your illegal buddies, not for america.

SHARPTOOTH on June 15, 2009 at 3:03 PM

The federal Government is ripping me off like mad.

kahall on June 15, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Sorry, guys….but I think you’re NUTS to not see the benefits of this.

Whatever.

You are welcome to your pretend policies issued by Blue Cross. LOL*

I don’t get it, frankly.

The insurance industry is ripping you off like mad.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Would rather pay more and get good care than pay less and be rationed to death.

But what the hell do i know… I’m just a radical right-wing extremist.

BPD on June 15, 2009 at 3:04 PM

That’s probably a good thing.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM

I agree that there is only a small minority of anti-abortionists, but from their words and policies, it seems as if there are far too many racists among liberal Democrats.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM

It just means that “conservatives” are the only group who will declare anything clearly.

profitsbeard on June 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM

He’s digging out of a hole now.

I agree with many, he blew his wad on paying back his cronies.

This was the real bill that could have helped Americans.

I am furious about this. BUT……I lost.

I fought harder than ever politically in my life for Hillary, because I knew healthcare reform WAS her core issue.

I lost.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:59 PM

1.He isn’t done digging yet.
2.He hasn’t even scratched the surface paying back the unions and ACORN.
3.Stop watching MSNBC, the democratic party channel.It is poisoning your brain.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM

On the poll. How many surveyed were not able to, with 2 years warning, get their TV situation straightened out before this past week?

kahall on June 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM

How about getting behind upholding the law on that issue?

mankai on June 15, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Seriously. I’m disgusted by these people who think their opinion is above the law.

venividivici on June 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM

No, but thank you for your opinion.

I think I won’t.

You’re quite welcome to ignore my posts, however. I won’t take that personally.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Typical…..you won’t debate or defend your beliefs, but you reserve the right to prattle on about them. Can’t you visualize scissors probing into the soft skull of an innocent being? Try to imagine that.

genso on June 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Mandatory health insurance, but a public policy that is reasonable……is a great first step.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:51 PM

LOL, you may want to check and see how that is working out in Taxachusetts.

Del Dolemonte on June 15, 2009 at 3:07 PM

genso on June 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM

She can visualize it. But she just considers it a perk of her Kaiser plan.

myrenovations on June 15, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Oh please…….this is a debateable issue.

If you’re obsessed about abortion and fetuses, there’s nothing I can say to change your mind.

I gave up on that one 20 years ago. *haha

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:08 PM

The insurance industry is ripping you off like mad.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Can you be more specific?

Net profit margins at insurance companies like United Health are around 5% of revenue and that includes their gains on their investment portfolios.

How is that “ripping people off like mad”?

venividivici on June 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM

She can visualize it. But she just considers it a perk of her Kaiser plan.

myrenovations on June 15, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Ahhh….and thus we find the divide that may never be bridged.

genso on June 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM

an conservative independence storm is brewing.

Tipping Point

Fletch54 on June 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM

She is also quite sure that ObamaCare will be just like her wonderful Kaiser plan, which is great because they do not over medicate.

myrenovations on June 15, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Point in case. Thankyou I don`t know what i was thinking. LOL

LSUMama on June 15, 2009 at 3:10 PM

The insurance industry is ripping you off like mad.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I CHOOSE to be “ripped-off” by my Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance company.

I choose NOT to let any government program choose for me.

I work and produce profits for my employer, I am entitled to spend that money any way I see fit .

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO IT?
Our freedom depends on it.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 15, 2009 at 3:11 PM

How is that “ripping people off like mad”?

venividivici on June 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM

AnninCA believes there are many, many insurance companies that take money though they never intend to ever pay for insurance claims.

But not Kaiser, because they are perfect as will be ObamaCare.

myrenovations on June 15, 2009 at 3:11 PM

LOL, you may want to check and see how that is working out in Taxachusetts.

Del Dolemonte on June 15, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Taxachusetts Hell!! Take a look at what’s happening in the state YOU LIVE IN YOU GODDAMNED FOOL!! Last I checked, California is teetering on the brink of swirling down the crapper. Why do you suppose that is???

BigWyo on June 15, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I don’t get it, frankly.

The insurance industry is ripping you off like mad.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:02 PM

It’s now officially a trend.

You don’t “get” a lot of things.

Do you even wonder why that is?

Stop typing and think.

Think.

artist on June 15, 2009 at 3:12 PM

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 15, 2009 at 2:47 PM

In the South, we always knew that no black had ever been lynched by a Republican.
The murderers were all registered Democrats.
You couldn’t find a white Republican in the Deep South in those segregation days.
The first local Republican to win anything in Mississippi was Trent Lott in 1972, and that was only because he had connections with some Democrats from Pascagoula and Gulfport..

TexasJew on June 15, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Funny how having less $ makes fence-sitters more conservative.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I see quite the trend here…I mean, I’ve seen it before but of this in one thread is quite telling.

ladyingray on June 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM

The California sun bakes your brain?

Some old Joe Jackson might be appropriate here:

Now the cocaine dens says welcome
You’re in college now not in school
But I’m sorry to say that I’m going out to work
While you’re going to the swimming pool
Where the L.A. sun can turn your brains
To scrambled eggs it’s true

Some people get crazy
Some people get lazy
Some people get hazy
Some people get out

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 15, 2009 at 3:13 PM

BigWyo on June 15, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I’m going to venture a guess that it is because not all of California is on AnninCA’s Kaiser plan.

myrenovations on June 15, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Oh please…….this is a debateable issue.

I gave up on that one 20 years ago. *haha

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:08 PM

So, we can debate the life of an unborn child. It then seems to me that the leap to debating the life of elder Americans will also be open for debate. Perhaps Granny doesn’t deserve to have healthcare given her probable lack of contributions to the great society going forward?

genso on June 15, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Time to get real.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Yes, it is time to get real. Get the federal government out everything it isn’t mandated by the Constitution to do. If individual states want to pursue socialist policies then I suppose it’s up them.

Stop imposing your wishes and desires on people and forcing them to pay for it.

darwin on June 15, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Yes, conservatives are the largest group.
Republican lost congress, and then the White House because they started to act like Democrats (spending like a drunk Ted Kennedy)

Our first challenge is to get ride of the elected Republicans who act like Democrats.

The Rock on June 15, 2009 at 3:14 PM

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM

ladyingray on June 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Okay, there was a debate on a thread this weekend over whether AnninCA was a troll. I did not weigh in but, AnninCA, it appears that the case is building.

BigD on June 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM

TexasJew on June 15, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I am so amazed the dem’s have such a lock on the minority voters.They have a terrible history of discrimination.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM

A meaningless poll IMO because it doesn’t differentiate between social and fiscal politics. It’s not telling the whole story. My bet would be that more people are identifying with fiscal conservatism these days and less with social conservatism.

Benaiah on June 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM

They have a terrible history of discrimination.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Which is why they make sure the public schools don’t teach history anymore.

myrenovations on June 15, 2009 at 3:17 PM

But not Kaiser, because they are perfect as will be ObamaCare.

myrenovations on June 15, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Yeah, I deal in facts and figures, not hallucinatory conspiracies. That’s probably the reason nothing she says resonates with me.

I did the math one some numbers that came out of some liberal advocacy group that was moaning about the health insurance industry making profits of about $5.5 billion dollars while insuring 130 million people. It works out to about $50/person. What a huge ripoff! I know how to fix those greedy insurance companies! I’ll just hand over my health care option to the government!

Ann, if you’re so worried about the $50/year in profit the insurance companies are making off you, let me know. I’ll pay you the $50 and you can just stop worrying about this issue altogether, OK?

venividivici on June 15, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Mostly, these polls reaffirm the degree to which consiservatives were successful in isolating liberals as freaks, and making the very term “liberal” into an effective epithet, politically.

As someone commented earlier, most of my liberal family and friends don’t identify as liberals, and claim to be “centrists”, no matter how wacky they really are.

But even they are smarter than this nitwit –

Only a small minority really likes the anti-abortion/racist segregationist crowd. That’s probably a good thing.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM

– who seems to believe that anyone who is pro-life is a “racist/segregationist”, which will come as very puzzling news indeed to pro-life blacks and hispanics.

AnninCA, you bring the collective Hot Air IQ down several points, every time you comment.

Jaibones on June 15, 2009 at 3:18 PM

The insurance industry is ripping you off like mad.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Not nearly as madly as our government is.

And when my insurance company rips me off I can drop the plan and go with another company.

Guess where I get to go when the government rips me off of 40% of my income to fund failing retirement programs, failing medical care programs, and bank/auto/union bailouts?

TheMightyMonarch on June 15, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Oh gosh, let’s not introduce immigration into the mix. LOL*

We’ll really all end up cranky. :)

I’m from LA. The majority of “illegal immigrants” are terrific people.

I just can’t get behind the hate on that issue.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM

But in your very first post of this thread, it is YOU who introduced racism with the implication that you actually attended a Tea party and there were racist posters, but you saw none.

Terrific success, and not a single racist poster that I saw.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:17 PM

And you posted the implication that conservatives are racists with a smiley face. That is shameless. And then, when nobody took the bait, you made your charge clearer:

That’s probably a good thing.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM

You don’t answer questions that go to the weaknesses of your political allies or your own statements, and you insert posts to stigmatize your political opponents. This is what is called trolling.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 3:19 PM

We cannot deny that between Conservatives and Moderates, 75% of Americans are represented. This is pretty powerful when you see the most liberal president to hold office representing so few of the nation’s electorate. Our current day media would lead one to think that the poll results are just the opposite.

pjean on June 15, 2009 at 3:19 PM

AnninCA

Per Twitter 5 minutes ago from Arizona Senate—SB1280 passes out of the Senate. Knowingly or recklessly concealing, harboring or shielding an illegal alien would be a class 5 felony. Laws like this are in the process of passing all over the country. Are these your racist segregationist crowds or is your government just passing anti illegal immigration laws?

canditaylor68 on June 15, 2009 at 3:20 PM

I and many others are totally opposed to the state dictating to the individual on medical choices.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:43 PM

The solution? Public plan…mandatory.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:51 PM

You keep spinning like that and you’ll get WHIPLASH!

PappaMac on June 15, 2009 at 3:20 PM

This all means nothing with the corrupt systems in place during elections and the lack of courage in politicians to actually do something about it. This last election was waged with one hand tied behind the back or possibly two by Republicans. This country is polarized with one end being a minority of liberals with lots of cash and media support. This is not the time to play nice and try not to tell the truth if it hurts people’s feelings.

Fight for this country or lose it.

Hening on June 15, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Citing this Gallup poll. Rush Limbaugh on his program today suggested that Sarah Palin could run with the 40% of conservatives and parlay that into taking Obama down in 2012.

Yes, Virginia, Rush Limbaugh today on his program said that Sarah Palin could beat Obama in 2012.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but never in Rush’s 20 years in syndication has Rush ever come out this strongly for any potential Presidential candidate.

technopeasant

Limbaugh is completely and totally a Sarah Palin fan. As he said about an hour ago, all you need to know about Sarah Palin is the strength of the attacks against her from the left.

And, of course, he is right.

Look at the way the left treated John McCain BEFORE he was the nominee. Oh man, he was their favorite Republican. The only “good one” out there. He was held up high. UNTIL he was the nominee.

If the left wing loons really thought Palin was as goofy as they would have you believe, they would give her the McCain treatment. She would be handled with kid gloves and invited on every talk show as an honored guest. They would make SURE she was the nominee!

As Ann Coulter wrote a month or so ago, “There is no stop Olympia Snowe NOW, before it’s too late!” movement!

Sarah Palin is the real deal. She scares the hell out of liberals, because people realize that she is real, and not a fraud like all of their losers.

Show me any other politician who can draw a crowd like she can. 20,000 turned out to hear here talk about Alaska for God’s sake, in upstate NY!

Sarah has the jazz, no one else does, not even Obama.

gary4205 on June 15, 2009 at 3:21 PM

But not Kaiser, because they are perfect as will be ObamaCare.

myrenovations on June 15, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I should add that if that’s so, those companies sure do employ a huge number of actuaries to figure out how much in claims they AREN’T going to pay. If they’re going to pay zero claims, seems like you wouldn’t need hundreds of actuaries to tell you that. You could probably get by with one or two. That would boost those profit margins right quick.

venividivici on June 15, 2009 at 3:22 PM

The California sun bakes your brain?

LibTired on June 15, 2009 at 2:59 PM

BigD on June 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I’m just saying…

ladyingray on June 15, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Jaibones on June 15, 2009 at 3:18 PM

+ 1000
It’s time to find the duct tape.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 15, 2009 at 3:22 PM

How can we trust a government-run health insurance program to run effectively and efficiently when in places like New York City, 40% of a medical claims in the current Medicare/Medicaid system are fraudulent? Quit trying to build houses on sand.

pjean on June 15, 2009 at 3:23 PM

If you’re obsessed about abortion and fetuses … *haha

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Great sense of humor, too.

Allah, have you checked her IP address? I swear this is just nonfactor’s sock puppet.

Jaibones on June 15, 2009 at 3:23 PM

No, no! The Won is going to bring us all *together!*

Didn’t you hear how eloquent he is when he speaks? How can anyone *not* be drawn together after hearing his golden tones?

/barf

RedNewEnglander on June 15, 2009 at 3:24 PM

How is that “ripping people off like mad”?

venividivici on June 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I’m guessing this isn’t what AnnInTheSunTooLong means, but they do waste a lot of money. Then again, the government wastes more.

LibTired on June 15, 2009 at 3:25 PM

You said “The Won”. Heh.

Jaibones on June 15, 2009 at 3:26 PM

A certain Leftist poster has to be pretty dense not to see the advantages of being able to choose one’s insurance company voluntarily rather than government making that choice (via some indifferent bureaucrat) for us. The mental frumpiness equivalent of thinking one looks best dressed from shopping exclusively in the one-size-fits-all department of low-water trousers and high-water sleeves.

Dimwit Socialists supporting big gummint knows best mandates resulted in millions killed in the 20th Century. A poor trade-off by those gullible enough to believe they were getting something good from their government for free at the cost of losing self-determination and very often, their lives.

viking01 on June 15, 2009 at 3:27 PM

PappaMac on June 15, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Is it possible to spin when you head is that far up your buttocks?

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM

The insurance industry is ripping you off like mad.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I can do something about an insurance company ripping me off. And if an insurance company does a miserable job, it’s liable to go out of business (assuming no bailout, natch). I won’t be able to do anything about government ripping me off, and if it does a miserable job, it’s liable to raise my taxes in order to form a committee to search for a fix, which will probably entail more taxes.

I’d much rather be ripped off by the insurance industry.

Tonus on June 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM

venividivici on June 15, 2009 at 3:22 PM

There you go again, throwing cold water on AnninCA’s narrative.

Not fair, you with your numbers and facts.

I’ll bet she comes back with the ever so charming “agree to disagree” with a smiley face.

myrenovations on June 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM

PappaMac-you kno i meant AnninCA right?

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 15, 2009 at 3:29 PM

About the poll – I have a suspicion that many people honestly do not know where they actually fall on the political spectrum. Heck, even I’m not totally sure – I consider myself pretty conservative (with a libertarian streak on social issues), but compared to some posters here, I’m barely moderate. It’s a matter of perspective, I suppose.

Anna on June 15, 2009 at 3:33 PM

LibTired on June 15, 2009 at 3:25 PM

No, I sort of get where she’s going, but I never see specifics. People talk about “overhead” expenses. Well, a ton of that expense goes to compliance with regulations, as insurance is probably the most heavily regulated industry out there. Another “overhead” expense would be claims processing, but again, those people provide value by making it so that you don’t have to wait forever to get reimbursed or to know what you owe your doctor, so that’s another valuable service.

The need for these expenses isn’t just going to magically disappear if the government enters the health insurance market.

I guess what I’m saying is that someone, somewhere along the line within those companies went to work and got paid and the total of those payments and the taxes on the profits, adds up to about 95 cents on the dollar, with 5 cents left over for shareholders.

If you’ve ever looked at the “group benefits” market, you’ll know that it’s very competitive and price is a huge factor in companies’ decisions on which plans to choose. The idea that health insurers could just pad their expenses and not pay the price in lost business is pure fantasy.

There is fraud, sure, but I doubt it’s more than the amount of fraud in Medicare/Medicaid.

venividivici on June 15, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Maybe we just needed a good taste of Marxism to cleanse the pallet. They thought it would be Clinton again watching and wavering with the polls. Not this guy!

faol on June 15, 2009 at 3:40 PM

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Yeah, I know. I was trying to be kind.

PappaMac on June 15, 2009 at 3:40 PM

myrenovations on June 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Or she’ll avoid this thread and pop up somewhere else later, totally ignoring the drubbing she took here…

ladyingray on June 15, 2009 at 3:41 PM

There you go again, throwing cold water on AnninCA’s narrative.

Not fair, you with your numbers and facts.

myrenovations on June 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM

There are some things that fall into the “agree to disagree” category. Facts about the health insurance industry’s profitability don’t seem to fit that bill. I live my life in the real world like that.

venividivici on June 15, 2009 at 3:42 PM

ladyingray on June 15, 2009 at 3:41 PM

I’m on search party at this very moment.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 3:45 PM

There you go again, throwing cold water on AnninCA’s narrative.

Not fair, you with your numbers and facts.

myrenovations on June 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM

LMAO. Still think she is SouthernGal in disquise. I`m just sayin.

LSUMama on June 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM

venividivici on June 15, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Sure, but you have to admit that Republicans are mostly racist, segregationist, abortion doctor murder condoners.

LibTired on June 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM

LibTired on June 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM

You forgot to add “Gaia-hating”, but otherwise a fine summary of the GOP platform.

venividivici on June 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM

It’s time to find the duct tape.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 15, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Paging Red Green…

Del Dolemonte on June 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM

LMAO. Still think she is SouthernGal in disquise. I`m just sayin.

LSUMama on June 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Naw, she was here long before SG was.

Del Dolemonte on June 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I disagree .I think a lot of real consev. will tell any pollster they are Ind. or Mod.just to try to prove to the poll taker that they are open minded .A lot of my consev. friends will never tell anyone they do not know that they are consev.

thmcbb on June 15, 2009 at 3:56 PM

thmcbb on June 15, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Are they really conservatives then? Or is their conservatism negotiable? Seems there was a lot of that in the last election.

genso on June 15, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I think I have come upon the answer as to why AnnainCA thinks insurance companies are a big rip off…

She is either (1) On Medicaid, and therefore doesn’t pay anything. (2)Goes to the emergency room for care her health care. And doesn’t pay anything. OR (3) Is an Illegal Alien and goes to the emergency room for her health care. and doesn’t pay anything.

PappaMac on June 15, 2009 at 4:10 PM

And how many said moderate because they were afraid to be smeared as a racist conservative.
genso on June 15, 2009 at 2:32 PM

And how many said moderate because they were afraid to lose their friends and stop gettng invited to parties?

Friendly21 on June 15, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Friendly21 on June 15, 2009 at 4:15 PM

A lot of that out in Hollywood.

Del Dolemonte on June 15, 2009 at 4:20 PM

The insurance industry is ripping you off like mad.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:02 PM

How many people are ripping off the insurance companies?

Lots.
Lots and lots.

Itchee Dryback on June 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM

The sad fact is that Liberals are the most racist group there is. Sanger started Planned Parenthood in order to make it easier for blacks to get abortions. She did this becuase she thought they were breeding too much. Liberals are the one who want to give people what they haven’t worked for so that they can strip them of their dignity and self worth, so that they can keep them dumb and agitated against those of us who work hard for what we have in order to get their vote. To me the tragedy of all this is that Liberals who are now in charge will kill the economy just as blacks have broken into the middle , upper and wealthy class…

CCRWM on June 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM

venividivici

Good Lord, V3, a simple “doubt” is all you can manage. Even without hard numbers I’m willing to bet the ranch that the fraud in Medicare/Medicaid is appallingly more per capita than in private insurance. And if we add “waste” to that, the numbers won’t even be close. We are talking about government after all.

SKYFOX on June 15, 2009 at 4:24 PM

LMAO. Still think she is SouthernGal in disquise. I`m just sayin.

LSUMama on June 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Naw, she was here long before SG was.

Del Dolemonte on June 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM

And over at NoQuarter long before she was here…. she was eventually chased off NoQuarter for throwing their threads off topic, too.

yogi41 on June 15, 2009 at 4:25 PM

What percentage couldn’t answer the phone because they were outside scraping the Obama stickers off their SUV?

Laura in Maryland on June 15, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Everyime I pass a car here in Los Angeles with an Obama bumper sticker I feel like getting next to them and giving them the bird…then I remember who I am and don’t…

CCRWM on June 15, 2009 at 4:26 PM

i would have answered the poll “very conservative”. but many of the bloggers at the Virginia conservative blogs think i am a mere moderate because i am pro-choice.

but i think blowing that little kim jong il off the face of the earth would benefit all humanity. is that a conservative position?

kelley in virginia on June 15, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Sorry, guys….but I think you’re NUTS to not see the benefits of this.

Whatever.

You are welcome to your pretend policies issued by Blue Cross. LOL*

I don’t get it, frankly.

The insurance industry is ripping you off like mad.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:02 PM

There’s a difference. I don’t have to use Blue Cross. I have a you know, what’s that thing libs are so fond of, choice. I don’t have the same luxury when it comes to our government.

Flyguy on June 15, 2009 at 4:31 PM

rbj on June 15, 2009 at 2:42 PM

I think you’re a Libertarian…

CCRWM on June 15, 2009 at 4:31 PM

What issues might actually sway someone from thinking they are moderate to thinking they are conservative or liberal?

Miss Molly on June 15, 2009 at 4:32 PM

kelley in virginia on June 15, 2009 at 4:29 PM

If North Korea is placing the US or it’s allies in imminent danger, I’d say yes. The problem as I understand it is NK manufactures weapons for other rogue nations.

Pro-choice is another matter however, especially since millions in taxpayer money is used to kill babies.

darwin on June 15, 2009 at 4:34 PM

To me the poll really reflects is:

Do you like Sarah Palin…yes…conservative
Do you like John McCain…yes…moderate
Do you like Barack Obama…yes…liberal

I think that is what people think when they answer what they are…

CCRWM on June 15, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Are “moderates” actual creatures or just something the media invented to demonize Republicans?

I would think people that have varying views on different issues would more accurately be called independents.

“Moderate” implies everyone else is radical, which is pretty far from the truth.

darwin on June 15, 2009 at 4:37 PM

don’t spend taxpayer money for abortions. just because i’m pro-choice doesn’t mean i want to spend my money on it.

kelley in virginia on June 15, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I bet you would be surprised at how many people can not decide on what liberal and conservative even are.

Terrye on June 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM

And when you ask Americans what they are, 85% will say that they are middle class when that is not even close to being soci-economically true.

myrenovations on June 15, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Zackly!

44Magnum on June 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM

I have Blue Cross, had it for about 10 years. I pay about $200 a month and have no issues. In 10 years I have not been denied one thing and this has included 2 surgeries.

Under Obama I would still be on a wait list for the surgeries. Ann, if you truly believe that the government can run anything efficiently, you’re either very naive or not very intelligent.

angryed on June 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM

the point is that they have entered our country illegally and are receiving taxpayer dollars, whether it’s in the form of social services or in the form of law-enforcement resources to arrest and incarcerate them for breaking immigration and sometimes other laws.

homesickamerican on June 15, 2009 at 2:47 PM

They cost teh state over 20billion dollars a year and is probably one of the main resons CA is bankrupt. They have totally killed LAUSD finacially…this is wy good teachers leave…

CCRWM on June 15, 2009 at 4:41 PM

SKYFOX on June 15, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I should know better, you’re right. After all, I live in Chicago, where fraud is an art form. I just didn’t want to overstate the point.

The only real overhead savings I’ve seen that could be real are the insurance brokers, who’d be out of a job if there were only one nationwide insurance plan run by the government. I doubt that’s even 5% of total health insurance costs. And, you’re right, the switch over to a government-run plan will ramp up fraud by at least 5%, so where are the savings?

venividivici on June 15, 2009 at 4:41 PM

sorry typing too fast…

CCRWM on June 15, 2009 at 4:42 PM

I’m from LA. The majority of “illegal immigrants” are terrific people.

I just can’t get behind the hate on that issue.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM

They may very well be saints, but that isn’t the issue. They are here illegally. Illegally being the money word.

jimmy2shoes on June 15, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Gee, 40% of voters are conservative. That means all we need do is capture 10.1% of middle class voters when Zero’s plans fall apart.

Or we can do what the David Frums, Bill Bennetts, David Brooks, Kathleen Parkers and Peggy Noonans of the world urge us to do and abandon our principles and move to the left.

I don’t expect this Gallup survey will get much play on MSM or Frum’s New Minority website. Frum spends most of his time trashing conservatives. He is the ultimate WUSS. I wish he’d go back to Canada and take his wife (the Huffington Post columnist) and David Brooks with him.

bw222 on June 15, 2009 at 4:47 PM

angryed on June 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM

With Ann Axelrod is trying out a new type of troll. She doesn’t belong here because she takes a position contrary to most of ours but nevertheless she spends a lot of time here condescendingly tellig us she is so reasoable (I’ll call her the reasonable troll)and really you nice dumb ignorant racist should see it my way…forget about her…

CCRWM on June 15, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I am lost.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:59 PM

pannw on June 15, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I’m from LA. The majority of “illegal immigrants” are terrific people.

I just can’t get behind the hate on that issue.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Gee, I wonder why California’s government is in such bad shape that it makes Michigan’s look good by comparison. Could it be because of voters like you?

bw222 on June 15, 2009 at 4:50 PM

technopeasant on June 15, 2009 at 2:41 PM

I agree with Limbaugh. Just witnessing the absolute frothing rage the left has gone into over Palin is evidence enough for me.

Democrats control the presidency, the white house, and have 60 votes in the Senate, pending Franken.

But conservatives do well in a gallup poll.

Looks like victory to me!

e-pirate on June 15, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Yeah, but those Democrats have to go around now almost apologizing for the stimulus bill and praying that the business cycle will rescue them next year; Big Daddy Democrat has to go around trying to sell his health care plan as a cost-cutting measure; it’s more fashionable now to say you’re “pro-life” than ever.

That’s the cold dead hand of Reagan on the scruff of your neck, dude. That’s victory.

ddrintn on June 15, 2009 at 4:54 PM

darwin on June 15, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Most of the so-called moderates the media likes to refer to are actually liberals.

bw222 on June 15, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Palin rocks, but expect “Establishment Republicans” to buck her bacause, if she won, types like Mike Murphy, Kevin Madden and Steve Schmidt would be DOA along with RINOs on the RNC.

These people saw what she has done in Alaska and can only imagine what she would do if she got control.

bw222 on June 15, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Never do I want to see women back in back-alleys with coat-hangers.

Never.

How would you know, having never seen it in the first place? Or can you just “imagine” it from the “stories” you’ve been told?

Funny, you can “imagine” that, but can’t imagine the horror of late-term abortion, not to mention partial-birth killing.

Pretty limited imagination you have there. Try freeing your mind, you might find that all those “stories” you’ve based your life on aren’t quite as trustworthy as you’ve “imagined” them to be.

Fatal on June 15, 2009 at 5:06 PM