Happy Flag Day

posted at 12:16 pm on June 14, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I’ve written about this before, both here and at Captain’s Quarters, and I don’t mind sharing it again on the day we celebrate Old Glory. Certainly our friends in the blogosphere today will share stories of famous battles such as Iwo Jima in which the American flag features a prominent role, but this moment belongs with them as a reminder that Americans here at home understand the value of the Stars and Stripes. Rick Monday adds his perspective thirty years later to what Major League Baseball included as one of its top 100 plays in its history:

I wrote this a year ago: In 1976, a sense of ennui had gripped the nation. In a year-long bicentennial celebration, many wondered if the economic stagnation that had lasted all decade meant that America’s best years were in the rear-view mirror. The commercialized bicentennial festivities felt forced and false. It seemed that pride in our country had dissipated into cynicism and retreat.

The unprompted, extemporaneous response to Monday’s heroics is the often untold story of that day. Over 40,000 baseball fans saw Monday risk his career by grabbing what could easily have been a fireball to rescue the American flag from a couple of asshats, and suddenly it recalled the real patriotism and passion for America that had been missing in 1976. At first in isolated pockets but soon sweeping around the stands like The Wave would later do, Americans stood up and sang “God Bless America” — not prompted by the stadium organist but fueled by love of country.

For my money, it’s the single best moment in sports. God bless Rick Monday, and God bless America.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That was a great moment. Thanks for posting it again, I absolutely love it.

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I remember that post at CQ a few years back. Loved it then, and love it now…

Great post Ed!

Keemo on June 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM

“Greatest play”, indeed.

Thanks for posting this again, Ed.

eforhan on June 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM

The seventies sucked.

That incident was one of the few things that happened back then that didn’t suck.

Thanks for posting this, except now I’m all emotional.

juliesa on June 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Amen.

pannw on June 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Thanks for posting that, Ed. I’m typing this with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. It was truly a Great American Moment.

backwoods conservative on June 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Thanks for posting and thank you Rick. Wonder where those asshats are now?

igglesphan on June 14, 2009 at 12:28 PM

We’ve always remembered that today was Flag Day in my family because today is also my Father’s birthday.

Ceroth on June 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Oh, my! I have never even heard of this before. Thanks for posting it. I wish I had been there for that game. It’s a perfect Flag Day moment.

BetseyRoss on June 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM

I’m really glad I was born in the 80′s. The seventies seem like the dark ages.

Good man, if for no other reason than picking the flag up off the ground. On the issue of flag burning, I believe that it can be burned as a form of protest, while still respecting the flag. These morons were nowhere near respect, nor are most who usually burn one.

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 12:34 PM

The seventies sucked.

Well, not totally. But then I was born in ’76, so I am kinda biased.

Thanks for the clip, Ed. I have seen this on TV before, but it is always a nice reminder that the flag has always been and hopefully always will be honored by so many. And also that the 70′s shouldn’t be completely defined by the wackos. Rick Monday demonstrated that.

XWing5 on June 14, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Happy Flag Day and Happy Birthday Army. God Bless our Republic.
L

letget on June 14, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Oh, my! I have never even heard of this before.
BetseyRoss on June 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Because it would make you feel good about America and her flag. That won’t do. You have to be skooled in Broken Knee and Mai Lai to make sure these flag burners are respected.

Limerick on June 14, 2009 at 12:39 PM

I love Lasorda too. He’s a great expletive American.

kevinkristy on June 14, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Great story of a great American in a great country!

Happy Flag Day!!

God Bless America!!!

BTW, were those black panthers?

Texas Gal on June 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I cried. Again.

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2009 at 12:44 PM

The 70s were really the 60s. All the crazy-a$$ radical stuff and big demos happened int the 70s.

Blake on June 14, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Great moment. But the current administration’s DOJ would probably investigate Monday for violation of 1s Amendment rights.

GarandFan on June 14, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Any chance the other players were running out to beat those two mofos?

Blake on June 14, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I remember that moment. In a time when America was on it’s heels and the attacks by those America haters (who would someday become the democrat leadership) were attacking everything American. Baseball was and still is Americas game. And is played by patriots like Mr. Monday who are grateful for the opportunities that this country have afforded them. They stood up and said no, not here, not on my field.

Thanks Ed

conservnut on June 14, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Have to disagree with you on this one. You can disagree and protest policies of people who think they represent the U.S., but that does not involve the flag. The flag represents those wonderful principles espoused in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Unfortunately most of things we want to protest are because we aren’t living up to those documents.

texabama on June 14, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Limerick on June 14, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Well, it is sort of embarrassing to not know this when so many that are younger than me know all about it. I was somewhat of a baseball fan, too. Beleive me there is no respect for flag burners in this family. Never has been, never will be. God bless Rick Monday. We salute you for your honor and patriotism.
Although the 70′s were the pits and ended up with Jimmy Carter, look what happened next! Keep the faith!

BetseyRoss on June 14, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I’m really glad I was born in the 80’s. The seventies seem like the dark ages.

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Oh, the seventies were. They were gawdawful. They started with the Nixonian “we are all Keynesians now” wing of the Republican party and ended with Jimmy Carter. Plus there was disco and no intertubes.

But they did lead to Reagan.

And yeah, if you want to burn your own copy of the flag, go ahead, it just means you do not believe in American values, such as liberty, the Bill of Rights, etc. The flage does not represent the government, but rather our nation.

rbj on June 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Sorry if it looks like I’m disagreeing with the previous poster. Thought I had quoted from MadisonConservative.

texabama on June 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM

The seventies sucked.
juliesa on June 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Amen to that, sista. The 70s to me means hours sitting in line at gas stations, with no air conditioning and sticking to the vinyl seat. Listening to Gloria Gaynor. Worst decade evah.

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 12:50 PM

GarandFan on June 14, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Sad thing is, I believe it.

If something like that would happen do you think Derek Jeter or any other player would do the same? A part of me says “I think so” After all, baseball is the great American sport.

Oh and I would have taken the flag and kicked those two self-hating anti-American hippies in the face.

Savrielle on June 14, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Does anyone know who were those two trying to set the flag on fire..?

ujorge on June 14, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Another example of why our flag is not just a peice of fabric. It reminds us (or should) of the tremendous history of this great nation.
God Bless America!!

wjmtexas on June 14, 2009 at 12:52 PM

texabama on June 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM

It was a great post.

Blake on June 14, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Thanks for posting and thank you Rick. Wonder where those asshats are now?

igglesphan on June 14, 2009 at 12:28 PM

On college campi teaching education.

That was Bill Ayers and a friend of his.

misterpeasea on June 14, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Does anyone know who were those two trying to set the flag on fire..?

ujorge on June 14, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Where was Bill Ayers at the time ?

William Amos on June 14, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Does anyone know who were those two trying to set the flag on fire..?

ujorge on June 14, 2009 at 12:51 PM

this:

Aside from public ridicule, the older of the two protesters incurred some legal punishment. Thirty seven-year-old William Errol Thomas, an unemployed man from Eldon, Missouri, was fined $60 for trespassing and placed on probation for a year. No formal charges were placed against the boy [his 11 year old son], who was treated as a juvenile offender.

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Ed, thank you for posting that. I’d never heard the story before and the video brought tears to my eyes.

Happy Flag Day!

califcon on June 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM

The seventies sucked.

juliesa on June 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Blasphemer!! Have you forgotten about disco?!?

misterpeasea on June 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Wish I could watch the video now

Will tonight at home.

Seems to be awesome.

blatantblue on June 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Thanks, Ed.

Right_of_Attila on June 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM

And still, I’m the only one on my street…besides one other…who has a flag out.

Sad.

JetBoy on June 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM

There is nothing like a bit of Johnny Cash on flag day.

Dreadnought223 on June 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Happy Flag Day !

and

Happy Birthday US Army !
14 June 1775

Cheers !

Kenny Solomon
Locked and loaded in South Flori-duh.

E T Cartman on June 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I’m sure Obama will praise Old Glory today………

………. then apologize for offending anyone.

Seven Percent Solution on June 14, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Thanks Ed. That’s a great moment in US history.

Display your flag and Happy Birthday US Army!
May God the Father Almighty continue to Bless our army and all who defend our beloved country.

Zorro on June 14, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Thanks for sharing that…. I was a teen and young adult in the 70s and do not remember ever hearing this story.

Lump in throat, tear in eye.

My husband put out our flag today as he does every day.

tru2tx on June 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Blasphemer!! Have you forgotten about disco?!?

misterpeasea on June 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Heh – I wish I could! That’s one of the main reasons the 70s sucked. If it weren’t for Led Zeppelin and a handful of others that whole decade would be a musical writeoff.

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Thanks, Ed. Very well done. Bless you, Rick Monday.

Loxodonta on June 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I dearly love this quote from Monday:

“If you’re going to burn the flag, don’t do it in front of me,” said Monday, a veteran of six years in the Marine Reserves. “I’ve been to too many veterans’ hospitals and seen too many broken bodies of guys who tried to protect it. … I don’t know what those clowns were trying to demonstrate and frankly I don’t care. All I know is if they don’t like it here, there’s nobody standing there at the border telling them they can’t leave. Take a hike.”

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 1:05 PM

“Thanks for posting and thank you Rick. Wonder where those asshats are now?

igglesphan on June 14, 2009 at 12:28 PM”

Bermuda?

NYconservative on June 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM

I don’t understand burning a flag

What’s the point?

If you’re a US citizen there is no reason for it.

If you MUST, go to Peshawar and do it with Angry Jihadi Dude Bro Boy

blatantblue on June 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Some kid left an upside down flag on my car last winter at skrool

I wasn’t even mad

Just sad
That someone just has such contempt for it

blatantblue on June 14, 2009 at 1:12 PM

burning a flag is like a man getting a nipple ring

It’s ridiculous and totally unnecessary

blatantblue on June 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Blasphemer!! Have you forgotten about disco?!?

misterpeasea on June 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Exactly.

Disco set my teeth on edge. Still does.

tru2tx on June 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Wow- that was awesome! I didn’t know about that moment- I was just a baby at the time. I was in LA- My dad raised me to be a big Dodger fan and we went to quite a few games. After moving to Florida I went to some Dodger training games- met Lasorda, Awesome guy.

Thanks ED! Great story, made my day.

bazil9 on June 14, 2009 at 1:16 PM

As a Dodgers’ fan I have the good fortune to listen to Rick every game day as he does his radio broadcast. I think of this great moment everytime I hear him. Thanks for posting.

bestwins on June 14, 2009 at 1:17 PM

The 70′s hair styles have seem to make a come back- Yuck!

bazil9 on June 14, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Time to check the filters in my house, the dust is making my eyes water.

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Thanks Laura, that is exactly how I feel.

F15Mech on June 14, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Blasphemer!! Have you forgotten about disco?!?

misterpeasea on June 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Kinda proves the point huh?

conservnut on June 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM

JetBoy on June 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM

It is sad, only a few in my neighborhood too.

bazil9 on June 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Isn’t it a pity Obama had to be shamed into wearing a lapel flag pin?

fourdeucer on June 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Isn’t it a pity Obama had to be shamed into wearing a lapel flag pin?

fourdeucer on June 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM

It’s a shame we pushed him into it. I’d rather he didn’t wear it at all, since the flag seems to mean so little to him.

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I remember watching that. I was 20 at the time and remember that feeling of “there they go again”. That feeling of being “beat down”. The country was definitely in a depressed state. What an absolute surprise it was to see that happen!

That simple act meant so much symbolically to me. I thought “wow…finally someone stood up!” My dad and I actually yelled “yeah!!” or something like that.

I don’t want our country to go back to that state of mind…much of it contributed to by the MSM of the time.

cranbone on June 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

There was something much worse about the 70′s than gas lines, disco, mullets and shags, and Carter…. polyester!

Texas Gal on June 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

There was something much worse about the 70’s than gas lines, disco, mullets and shags, and Carter…. polyester!

Texas Gal on June 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Don’t forget something else that needs to burn; Leisure suits!

cranbone on June 14, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Very nice, Ed. I remember seeing the footage of the Flag Save by Monday on the news, for weeks afterward.

Forever in peace may she wave.

J.E. Dyer on June 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Liberals were scumbags even in the 70′s! Some things never change!! God Bless Rick Monday! :)

WhatsRight on June 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I was watching that game on TV live when this happened. IIRC Rick was with the Cubs at the time, later he came to the Dodgers. The reaction of the crowd at Dodger Stadium made me proud to be an American. Monday went from opposing player to hero instantly in the eyes of everyone who saw it.

infidel4life on June 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I believe The One’s derision for the flag is a window into his overall political philosophy. The contrast couldn’t be greater between Rick Monday’s simple yet instinctual and profound action with respect to a symbol of our country and Obama’s unwillingness to assign special meaning the same symbol.

WordsMatter on June 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Wow, That was amazing. Good for Rick.

FontanaConservative on June 14, 2009 at 1:31 PM

As I was saying; leisure suits!

cranbone on June 14, 2009 at 1:32 PM

So glad I’m an 80s baby

But sucks I don’t remember Reagan

:[

blatantblue on June 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Where can one get a copy of the print that Monday was holding?

thomasaur on June 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM

But sucks I don’t remember Reagan

:[

blatantblue on June 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM
Then you are lucky not to remember Johnson.

fourdeucer on June 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM

But sucks I don’t remember Reagan

:[

blatantblue on June 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I hope that there’s another one out there. It’s hard to put into words just how depressing it was to be conservative back in the ’70′s. The country was depressed in general, and to be conservative felt to me like being from another planet. When Reagan went on the offensive like he did…and not in an attacking way, but in a confident way…it was such a relief to know that I wasn’t so alone. No blogs, no Fox News, Democrat congress for decades…sheesh!

cranbone on June 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Happy birthday US Army. I just got my Gadsden flag this weekend and will fly it every day after today. For those who don’t know, it’s the “Don’t tread on me” flag. Oh, if you all can, attend an American Legion or VFW flag retirement ceremony. No matter how small, it is always emotional.

MNDavenotPC on June 14, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Liberals were scumbags even in the 70’s! Some things never change!! God Bless Rick Monday! :)

WhatsRight on June 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Liberals may have changed their name to “progressives”, but they are the same despicable ashats now as then.

Great post for Flag Day.

cruadin on June 14, 2009 at 1:41 PM

God bless Rick Monday, and God bless America.

Amen. Thank you for posting this again, Ed. It’s rare moments in recent history like this that keep the flame of passion and pride for our great country alive!

KendraWilder on June 14, 2009 at 1:43 PM

But sucks I don’t remember Reagan

:[

blatantblue on June 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Too bad, he made us proud to be conservatives again. We need another one like him.

conservnut on June 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Then you are lucky not to remember Johnson.

fourdeucer on June 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Sigh… I am not so lucky, I do remember LBJ, but then again when I was in grade school they still thought it was important to instruct children in a now obscure concept called American civics, now they indoctrinate the poor kids into Marxism.

doriangrey on June 14, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 1:05 PM

While I understand, the “love it or leave it” argument has never held water with me. The flag does represent the United States, but the States are United by the government. Now, the government is supposed to be of the people, by the people, and for the people. Unfortunately, it isn’t. However, the flag still represents the government which comprises the Union. It is merely a symbol.

Something occurred to me not long ago. I was watching the Manchurian Candidate, the original film. Afterwards, I decided to read the synopsis of the original and see if it was as bad as I had heard. Spoiler alert: instead of being anti-government, it’s anti-corporate.

I realize that defines conservatives vs. liberals in today’s society. Conservatives distrust the government, and liberals distrust corporations. The ultimate problem is that corporations view their “constituents”, as it were, as assets. They work hard to ensure that they keep their constituents, by giving them what they want at a price they like, in order to make a profit. Now, the government works much the same way, except that it’s not supposed to. The government makes promises and sells itself, but it is only supposed to operate within the confines of the Constitution and uphold law and order. They have turned themselves into a business, which creates ultimate irony in that the liberals trust them. Most importantly, the government sees its constituents as liabilities. In contrast to business, instead of offering better services and outbidding each other, we’ve come to a point where we vote for the lesser of two evils. The government has become a single corporation, passing itself off as multiple companies, in order to provide us an illusion that we have buying power.

Hence, I see no problem in burning the flag until it represents the people once more.

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM

WordsMatter on June 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Of course you’re right. Here’s a prime example of the mindset of a typical O’bama voter. This was written right after the 9/11 attacks.

excerpt:

My daughter, who goes to Stuyvesant High School only blocks from the World Trade Center, thinks we should fly an American flag out our window. Definitely not, I say: The flag stands for jingoism and vengeance and war.

And that’s only the first paragraph. It goes downhill from there, if such a thing is possible.

Del Dolemonte on June 14, 2009 at 1:57 PM

burning a flag is like a man getting a nipple ring

It’s ridiculous and totally unnecessary

blatantblue on June 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Years ago I went out for dinner with some coworkers. We then walked around and came across a little theater that was doing Midsommer’s Night Dream and bought tickets on a lark. However, the fairy king had his nipple pierced and it drove me crazy all through the play. I could not get my mind off it. Ouch!

Blake on June 14, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I don’t remember Reagan

:[

blatantblue on June 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM

But Reagan remembered you:

Wait a minute, I’ve got a message for you.

You see, people my age do deeply believe that it is our duty to turn over to you the same opportunity and freedom that our parents and grandparents handed on to us. And when we look at you – when we see your openness, your enthusiasm for America and for life itself – it gives us heart, the heart it took to fight and to win this campaign. And who knows, perhaps many years from now, when you have children or grandchildren of your own, one of them will ask you about a November day a long time ago when a former sports announcer named Dutch Reagan came to town for the last campaign.

And should that happen – and since I won’t be able to myself — I hope you’ll tell them for me that I said it wasn’t true, that there are really no last, no final campaigns; that each generation must renew and win again for itself the precious gift of liberty, the sacred heritage of freedom.

– President Ronald Reagan

So, please keep fighting. Ronnie’s got your back.

Loxodonta on June 14, 2009 at 2:00 PM

I was 6 years removed from Vietnam and though I hated the Dodgers, Rick Monday became my favorite baseball player.

Vince on June 14, 2009 at 2:01 PM

The seventies sucked.

juliesa on June 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Maybe for some, and maybe for all for a few reasons. For whatever reason, the war ended and the lottery ended and I don’t have a draft card or know what one looks like – this is not suckworthy. I got my first girlfriends. I got my driver’s license. I got more music in my album collection than that 60′s hold-over Led Zeppelin – Good Times Bad Times. I got my first car (of course with Bose 6×9 coax speakers to squeeze out every last loud lick of Led Zep but more so Billy Idol – White Wedding.) I got my first job. I got to vote. I got to go away to school. I got engaged.

We turned a corner and dodged a bullet in the 70′s. Were about to turn a corner again, this time on two wheels, but I don’t think we gonna dodge the bullet.

PS. My favorite thing about the flag – I see the faces in it of everyone that protects the USA.

ericdijon on June 14, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Happy Flag Day Ever-body!

I just have one thing to say, everyone is raggin’ on the 70′s but I’ll tell you what. Patriots were still alive and kicking then, thats for sure and If you’ll go get a history book circa 1968-1974 you’ll see a big difference in whats taught today. ask a high school senior what the magna carta is… and why its important to American history… Sad I tell ya.
and as for proof of my assertion. IMAGINE the outrage if this cartoon were shown today to our sensitive little self-esteem driven crumb crunchers!

The shot heard round the world.

the apoplexy in liberal circles would be a pandemic.

Thanks again for reminding us Ed!!!

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on June 14, 2009 at 2:02 PM

And another patriotic day not acknowledged by Google. Not even a flag on fire.

Queen0fCups on June 14, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Geez… I meant “although I hated the Cubs”. I am a Cardinal fan.

Vince on June 14, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Wonder where those asshats are now?

igglesphan on June 14, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Working in ChimpyO’s administration.

csdeven on June 14, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 1:05 PM

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Not much of a conservative, are you?

Conservatives understand that the government is not the same as the United States. The flag represents the United States, not the federal government. We have a government, but the government does not define who we are, and its failings are no excuse for expressing contempt for the entire nation.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on June 14, 2009 at 2:12 PM

this-un’ too.

Fireworks.

70′s weren’t all bad.

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on June 14, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Thank you for this Ed. I am the sappiest of saps when it comes to our flag, and this hit home. Happy Flag Day indeed.

sybilll on June 14, 2009 at 2:13 PM

John Kerry and Bill Clinton would still gladly trade places with those two brave men who would express their constitutional rights of self expression that was denied by Rick Monday.

lasertex on June 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM

doriangrey on June 14, 2009 at 1:46 PM
After saluting him with our 105 howitzers, in formation,we had to shake his hand prior to our tour of Southeast Asia.

fourdeucer on June 14, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Am I off base in believing that more often than not, a home that flys the stars and stripes is the home of a veteran?

Star20 on June 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I don’t have the bandwidth here and I’m not familiar with the story. Can someone give me the Readers Digest about what happened?

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Thanks for posting and thank you Rick. Wonder where those asshats are now?

igglesphan on June 14, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Probably college professors

KBird on June 14, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Way to go Rick Monday and Tommy L..I was a teenager when this happens and remember it well.
As far as flag burning I have always been against it for a simple reason…it dishonors the men and women who died building this great nation and belittles the ideals our forefathers used to create the greatest nation on earth. To me the flag is a symbol of all that is great about these United States. And to burn it or fly it below the flag of another nation in this country is just wrong. regardless of your feelings about the current government or any past administration respect the ideals and the blood that has been spilled defending those ideals.

JKotthoff on June 14, 2009 at 2:31 PM

MadCon, I still love to read your posts but I would like you to consider one thing about burning the flag. I simply don’t take the act as lightly as you. Not that what you said was wrong, I just think most true Americans, whether they be Conservatives or liberals, would consider the desire to do it repugnant.

You called the flag a symbol and it is. The act of burning it is a symbol too. And that symbol is everything opposite of what it stands for, for Americans who truly love, are inspired by and would die for that flag.

What it means to me? In the military sense it is the rallying point as a units “colors” are. It brings us all together under one idea. That America is the best bet this world has to continue in freedom. It will also be my shroud I hope in death. I can’t think of a greater honor than to be wrapped in it as you’re taken to your final resting place.

I’ve carried a small one in the front pocket of my Air Warrior body armor since this war began. It’s with me every time I fly. While it’s what I consider my lucky charm, I also have to pull it out on hard days to remember what it’s all for. I can’t even fathom the mind that would do any harm to what means so much to so many.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 2:37 PM