Happy Flag Day

posted at 12:16 pm on June 14, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I’ve written about this before, both here and at Captain’s Quarters, and I don’t mind sharing it again on the day we celebrate Old Glory. Certainly our friends in the blogosphere today will share stories of famous battles such as Iwo Jima in which the American flag features a prominent role, but this moment belongs with them as a reminder that Americans here at home understand the value of the Stars and Stripes. Rick Monday adds his perspective thirty years later to what Major League Baseball included as one of its top 100 plays in its history:

I wrote this a year ago: In 1976, a sense of ennui had gripped the nation. In a year-long bicentennial celebration, many wondered if the economic stagnation that had lasted all decade meant that America’s best years were in the rear-view mirror. The commercialized bicentennial festivities felt forced and false. It seemed that pride in our country had dissipated into cynicism and retreat.

The unprompted, extemporaneous response to Monday’s heroics is the often untold story of that day. Over 40,000 baseball fans saw Monday risk his career by grabbing what could easily have been a fireball to rescue the American flag from a couple of asshats, and suddenly it recalled the real patriotism and passion for America that had been missing in 1976. At first in isolated pockets but soon sweeping around the stands like The Wave would later do, Americans stood up and sang “God Bless America” — not prompted by the stadium organist but fueled by love of country.

For my money, it’s the single best moment in sports. God bless Rick Monday, and God bless America.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“Blake on June 14, 2009 at 12:46 PM”

As Rick tells the story, as he reached the infield he passed Lasorda going towards the outfield. By this time security had accosted the 2 asshats, and, as Rick says, “If you had seen the look on Tommy’s face they were surely very, VERY lucky that Lasorda had not gotten to them first”
[!!]

Buckaroo on June 14, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Not much of a conservative, are you?

Conservatives understand that the government is not the same as the United States. The flag represents the United States, not the federal government. We have a government, but the government does not define who we are, and its failings are no excuse for expressing contempt for the entire nation.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on June 14, 2009 at 2:12 PM

What unites those states?

That same federal government that reinforced its position as the “Union” 144 years ago.

Again, there is a fundamental flaw in your logic. Is the government of the people, by the people, and for the people? Then the entire nation is the government, and therefore to protest the government, the flag must be burnt.

Is the government not of the people, by the people, and for the people? Then the flag of the United States does not represent the people, and its burning does not address them.

You may consider this a small point, but how many Stars and Stripes did you see at any tea parties you may have attended?

…and how many Gadsden flags did you see?

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 2:43 PM

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 2:23 PM

On April 25, 1976, Rick Monday was playing center field for the Chicago Cubs. The game was at Dodger Stadium. Two protesters ran out to left-center field with an American Flag soaked with lighter fluid, leaned over it and tried to light it with a match, but the match went out. Monday sprinted to them and grabbed the flag off the ground just as the second match was about to light the flag. He ran off field with the flag to the cheers of fans and other players. Later, the protesters were removed from the field and fans spontaneously started signing “God Bless America,” and the singing swept through the stadium.

Monday did what you and your company are doing every day.

Thank you and bless America’s armed forces.

Loxodonta on June 14, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Hence, I see no problem in burning the flag until it represents the people once more.

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Have you read “Liberty and Tyranny”? If not, I will gladly send you a copy.

WordsMatter on June 14, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Don’t miss this – watch the video CAREFULLY.

As Monday has grabbed the flag and is running past them the older guy THROWS HIS LIGHTER AT HIM and seems to hit him in the back.

manofaiki on June 14, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I don’t have the bandwidth here and I’m not familiar with the story. Can someone give me the Readers Digest about what happened?

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Back in 1976, a jerk at a Dodgers baseball game decided to burn an American flag on the field. They soaked it with lighter fluid and put a match to it. The first match was blown out by the wind before it ever got to the flag. Rick Monday came out of the field and swiped the flag before they could burn it. He said he could smell the lighter fluid, and the flag was soaked in it.

The crowd cheered, stood up, and started singing “God Bless America.” The flag burner was escorted off the field. His accomplice was his 11-year-old son.

Rick Monday also said he was asked years later if it ever bothered him that he was better known for this moment than for all his baseball career. He said no, because it was a great thing to be known for.

Hope that fills in some of the gaps.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on June 14, 2009 at 2:45 PM

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Not to disparage what emphasis you place on it, or to delve too much into relativity, but aren’t you explaining that the flag means something different to you than it means to the average person?

If the flag is relative to each American, then it cannot be said to not represent the government.

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Hawkdriver,
The R/D version:
$/25/76 at Dodger Stadium 2 scumbags douse a flag with lighter fluid and as they are trying to set it on fire Rick Monday centerfielder for the Cubs runs in and snatches it from them.

thomasaur on June 14, 2009 at 2:47 PM

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM

That’s our flag. If they are mis-representing it and abusing it, we take it back from them. It’s not their symbol, it’s the symbol of America and every real American honors it, no matter what liberals are symbolically trying to use it for.

You’re absolutely wrong on this.

manofaiki on June 14, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Have you read “Liberty and Tyranny”? If not, I will gladly send you a copy.

WordsMatter on June 14, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Thank you for the offer, but I do have a copy. It’s currently third in line behind Brave New World and Up From Liberalism.

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 2:48 PM

s/b 4/25/76

thomasaur on June 14, 2009 at 2:48 PM

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 2:46 PM

You need to get the h#!! out of Madison before it’s too late.

thomasaur on June 14, 2009 at 2:51 PM

The flag to me is a symbol of American exceptionalism. Obama can’t take that away nor can the apoligists.

fourdeucer on June 14, 2009 at 2:51 PM

I’m saying that it means differnet things to different Americans “and” that it also binds us with that one common idea. To me, it you could burn that flag, you honestly don’t believe that The United States is the last best hope for continued freedom in the world.

I would end up in jail were I ever in the presense of someone trying to burn Old Glory. And I wouldn’t have a second thought about it.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 2:52 PM

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Baldiloocks, please pick-up the white courtesy telephone.

My collie says:

Is it time to b*tch slap Madison again?

D*mn straight, collie. It truly IS a thing of beauty.

My collie saya:

You mean, like Rick Monday snatching Old Glory away from a couple of Fascist reprobate loser types?

You’re smarter than you look, collie. Now try not to drool so much.

CyberCipher on June 14, 2009 at 2:53 PM

WHo was the father jerk? What was his reason for trying to set the flag on fire? Assuming he wasn’t protesting against George Bush or the war in Iraq, or any of the other current liberal reasons for behaving and thinking like MadisonConservative. What happened to the jerk legally? Was he a born-in-America jerk or an imported jerk? And was his 11-year-old son left in his caring parental clutches thereafter?

NahnCee on June 14, 2009 at 2:53 PM

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on June 14, 2009 at 2:45 PM
thomasaur on June 14, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Thanks to both of you. I’m surprised I hadn’t ever seen the clip.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Not much of a conservative, are you?

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on June 14, 2009 at 2:12 PM

What unites those states?

…and how many Gadsden flags did you see?

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 2:43 PM

I’ll stand by every word.

You think because you can construct a logical argument to support burning the flag, that your argument is valid. It isn’t. It starts from a false premise: That the very act of having a representative government means that the government IS the nation.

No, it’s just the best attempt we can at making the government reflect the people rather than just being imposed upon the people. It still doesn’t guarantee that the government will do nothing wrong, or that it will always properly reflect the will of the people. Those we elect learn ways to keep themselves in power. And the very founding fathers who gave us this form of government put in safeguards against pure majority rule precisely because they know that the majority can be just as much a tyranny as a dictatorship.

You also miss the point that burning the flag is meant as an expression of contempt for our nation. It’s not narrowly targeted at one or two government policies. It’s a way of saying, “America is rotten from the top to the bottom, and should just be burned.”

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on June 14, 2009 at 2:55 PM

The African immigrant in Texas who tried to throw her weight around as a nursing supervisor saying the flag “offended” her and yanking it down to leave it on the floor needs to be shown this video right before she’s put on a plane to fly back to where-ever the hell she came from. As does the hospital’s administration who initially let her get away with it.

NahnCee on June 14, 2009 at 2:56 PM

You guys who are dissing the 70′s clearly never dropped acid and listened to 70′s Rock and Roll.

That is how I survived the 70′s. Plus the chicks wore hot clothes. I think camel toe jeans were invented in the 70′s.

csdeven on June 14, 2009 at 2:56 PM

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 2:52 PM

When UHC passes, what will you do about the American flag flying over the White House and the Congress? When bans on guns return with a vengeance, what will you do? When offensive speech is outlawed, what will you do?

Perhaps we won’t see eye-to-eye on this, but I also ask, why can some flags be burnt and it’s all right, but when they’re burned for a different reason, it’s not all right? Aren’t flags supposed to be burnt if they’re ever allowed to touch the ground? Note that I’m not referring to the dipsticks in the video, but the rules of handling. Why can one person burn their flag, but another can’t?

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 2:57 PM

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Hawkdriver is voluntarily risking his life to protect your right to disagree with him. Three of us responded to hawkdriver’s request for a thumbnail of the story behind this thread because he doesn’t have the bandwidth to see the video. You chose to disagree with him.

Loxodonta on June 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM

CyberCipher on June 14, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Stay classy.

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM

CyberCipher on June 14, 2009 at 2:53 PM

MadCon is a serious Conservative. I read his stuff. I know other Conservatives who maintain the notion that it must be okay to destroy the flag in oder to prove just what a great symbol and people that we are.

But I suppose I will just never get the concept.

Nighters!

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Loxodonta on June 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I didn’t see his request. I’m to be chastised for that now?

Would I have been chastised for doing so if I hadn’t spoken in favor of flag burning?

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 2:57 PM

They can be burned or buried. But in private. The public display is considered a demonstration. Big difference.

Good to see you all. Now nighters for real.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 3:01 PM

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I apologize for chastising you. As you are younger and more observant than I am, I assumed you had read hawkdriver’s first post.

Loxodonta on June 14, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Good to see you all. Now nighters for real.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Fair enough. I merely see one as free expression.

Good night to you.

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Loxodonta on June 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Lox, MadCon can be a cantankerous debater, but he’s not a bad guy and he respects the military. He’s not out of line.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 3:03 PM

MadCon is a serious Conservative….
Nighters!

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I don’t doubt it a bit. I just like to razz him from time-to-time.

My collie says:

Have a good rest. Pleasant dreams.

CyberCipher on June 14, 2009 at 3:06 PM

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Implied in this statement is that the government is the country, and the country is The People (singular). The second may be true; the former must never be true. It is the business of the government to represent The People in governing the country, and to represent the country in foreign relations. It is not the business of the government to be the country; that is the way of sclerotic monarchies and third-world kleptocracies; it is the way of North Korea, Iran, and the USSR.

njcommuter on June 14, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Share it as often as you like Ed.

Harpoon on June 14, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Loxodonta on June 14, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Accepted. I tend to skim more often than not, and read the longer posts.

I’ll make my last thought thusly: When the man in California cut down the flag that the bar owner was flying under the Mexican flag, I thought he was absolutely right, and I still do. For now, I believe that the flag we fly represents a great idea that is more and more swiftly being perverted into exactly what was fought against over two centuries ago…and yet, the flag flies over the buildings in which this perversion is done. To me, the burning is not only symbolic, it’s a metaphor, and a darkly accurate one.

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I have never heard or seen this story until today. It gives me a great sense of pride & hope. Thank you for posting.

sdm

stvdog on June 14, 2009 at 3:08 PM

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Thanks. Taking a nap now, so maybe I’ll be less cantankerous when I return.

Loxodonta on June 14, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Loxodonta on June 14, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Really finally. Didn’t see yours at first. Thanks for the RD Lox.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Thanks. Taking a nap now, so maybe I’ll be less cantankerous when I return.

Loxodonta on June 14, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Hey, now. That’s the way I like ya.

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Really finally. Didn’t see yours at first. Thanks for the RD Lox.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 3:13 PM

GO TO BED!

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I live near a classic Southern college town. A large regional university dominates the landscape and the culture of the town, but it doesn’t ooze out to those of us who live in the rural areas surrounding it. My wife and I are alumni and fans of the school’s basketball and baseball programs. We used to make donations to their library system and a couple of academic departments until their behavior stifled our desire to contribute. When we stopped we started receiving anonymous hate mail (the left has no class and no C.A. Jones).

I was at the basketball arena for a game one night and as I walked my little boy to the bathroom I went by a locked office that had a wonderful poster featuring Rick Monday saving the flag at Dodger Stadium. I’ve intended to go back to the arena during business hours and see who is in that office.

After the game, I took both of my children to that door and showed them the poster and photograph. My daughter, out of complete naivete, asked, “Why would anyone want to burn the U.S. flag?” I explained some things to her, but I was also thankful for living in rural Kentucky. She was genuinely hurt by the thought of anyone burning our flag.

I love baseball and my nation. I’d love to have a copy of that poster for my office door.

Ampleforth on June 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Whatever happened to the guys who tried to burn the flag?

Bill C on June 14, 2009 at 3:24 PM

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I see no problem with people burning the flag from a free speech standpoint. If the asshats on the field had chosen a more appropriate time and place, then no one should have interfered. But just as they have their right to free speech, I want them to feel the weight of our disapproval for their views.

My “love it or leave it” perspective is pretty specific. People who burn the flag tend to be leftists protesting against things that make America strong; they tend to be advocating policies that make us more like Europe. (Though with Europe trending conservative, I guess that’ll stop in a hurry.) Those people, whose aim in life is to make us more statist, can get the he1l out and into a country which better accommodates their need to be controlled.

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 3:32 PM

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I see no problem with people burning the flag from a free speech standpoint. If the a$$hats on the field had chosen a more appropriate time and place, then no one should have interfered. But just as they have their right to free speech, I want them to feel the weight of our disapproval for their views.

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Whatever happened to the guys who tried to burn the flag?

Bill C on June 14, 2009 at 3:24 PM

It was a guy with his 11 year old son. The dad was arrested and fined $60. In today’s dollars, that’s probably about $250. The kid was treated as a juvenile; nothing happened to him.

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I don’t understand burning a flag

What’s the point?

If you’re a US citizen there is no reason for it.

If you MUST, go to Peshawar and do it with Angry Jihadi Dude Bro Boy

blatantblue on June 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Would you have had a moral problem with a white abolitionist on behalf of black slaves burning the US flag in 1842 SC as a protest against the Government, and believe that such a demonstration should have been illegal?

Whether yes or no to either question, explain your answer please.

Bizarro No. 1 on June 14, 2009 at 4:08 PM

And another patriotic day not acknowledged by Google. Not even a flag on fire.

Queen0fCups on June 14, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Yup. That’s why I dumped Google for Bing. At least Bing honors Flag Day.

atheling on June 14, 2009 at 4:10 PM

There might be a “logical” argument in Madison Conservative’s assertion, but I still wouldn’t do something that I associate with America-bashing hippies, Islamofascists, et al.

Just an aversion, I guess.

atheling on June 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Chilling. And completely true.

Key West Reader on June 14, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Yup. That’s why I dumped Google for Bing. At least Bing honors Flag Day.

atheling on June 14, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I tried Bing and it’s kind of cool. I’m a yahoo person but for some strange reason, whenever I use yahoo I still get the effing google search thing on my toolbar. Google is a dangerous thing. It knows where I live! It has pics of my house! It auto-fills my searches! LOL

Key West Reader on June 14, 2009 at 4:18 PM

God Bless America.

Ugly on June 14, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Thanks.

Bill C on June 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

The Obama administration has lit the first match. Will Americans reclaim their country and ideals before he lights the second?

pussum207 on June 14, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Rick Monday was a terrific ball player and a class act. A true piece of baseball history!

M_Laveau on June 14, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Several posts defend the asshats’ rights to burn the flag. Though the act is constitutionally protected, attempting it on the field during an MLB game certainly is not protected.

Regarding flag burning in a place it is allowed, there is a huge difference between recognizing such a right and respecting some who opts to exercise that right.

I’ve always viewed first amendment rights as ingenious: People in our country have the right to identify themselves for all to see as absolute idiots. Supressing speech is wrong but the rest of us need not be victimized by that speech — we are free to react legally to it. That’s where so many get lost.

EconomicNeocon on June 14, 2009 at 5:25 PM

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Why take anger out on a flag that symbolizes the values this country was built on? Take to the streets and protest OK, but leave that symbol alone. May as well shoot a bald eagle in protest,makes as much sense!

lizzee on June 14, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Does anyone know who were those two trying to set the flag on fire..?

ujorge on June 14, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Safe bet to say they voted Obama in 2008

Norwegian on June 14, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Let me guess, somehow in some way Bill Ayers was involved in this effort to burn the flag on the field.

Would it surprise anyone if he was? Not me!

JaqobJackson on June 14, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Found this explanation of the event.

Baseball researcher Bob Timmermann found me a newspaper clip to explain it. “The man who tried to burn the American Flag at Dodger Stadium was attempting to draw attention to what he claims is his wife’s imprisonment in a Missouri mental institution, authorities say,” wrote the Los Angeles Times on April 30.

Don’t know if this is accurate or not. But it might not have been a political protest after all.

M_Laveau on June 14, 2009 at 6:01 PM

M_L, if it wasn’t intended to be a political protest, I don’t understand why they selected a flag to burn instead of, say, a poster of Nurse Ratched. I’ve tried to find more info on the guy but evidently my Google-fu is not up to the task.

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Laura on June 14, 2009 at 6:10 PM

No doubt. I don’t know what to make of it. That’s the only thing I could find. Either way, Rick Monday rocked it out.

M_Laveau on June 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Key West Reader on June 14, 2009 at 4:18 PM

I switched to Bing and spent some time eradicating all things google from my PC the other day. It had it’s hooks in everywhere. They snoop wherever they can…

infidel4life on June 14, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Key West Reader on June 14, 2009 at 4:18 PM

infidel4life on June 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Take that hippies!!!!

- The Cat

MirCat on June 14, 2009 at 7:17 PM

EconomicNeocon on June 14, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Again, if I hadn’t made it clear: I’m not defending what these cretins did, I’m condemning it. I’m simply defending flag burning while observing the rules of flag handling.

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Thanks for posting that Ed!

Happy Flag Day America!:)

Here’s a video,of the Army Song!

Its posted on BlackFive: http://www.blackfive.net/main/

canopfor on June 14, 2009 at 7:33 PM

I have never heard of that.
I am 52 years of age, that is a GOOD cry story.
And yes that is one of the BEST moments in American baseball.

Happy Flag Day.

ColdWarrior57 on June 14, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Thanks, Ed for posting this. Hadn’t heard of it before. And thanks Hawk for your part in preserving the flag and our freedoms.

Christian Conservative on June 14, 2009 at 8:17 PM

The bad dad and his kid are lucky they didn’t do that to a Quran. They would have been responsible for riots in Europe!

AmericanDad on June 14, 2009 at 8:25 PM

God bless Rick Monday, and God bless America.

DITTO!…GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

HAPPY AMERICAN FLAG DAY!!!

christene on June 14, 2009 at 8:33 PM

My son, a First Class Boy Scout, has been out today with his troop setting up flags on front lawns to honor Flag Day. I think I’ll show him this video when he gets home from taking them down tonight.

Burning an old flag in honor is world’s away from burning a flag to show how much you hate the country it represents. My son led an extremely reverent and touching ceremonial burning of an old flag at a Scout campout that was wonderful. It’s the intention that makes the difference.

inmypajamas on June 14, 2009 at 8:44 PM

But, but the ACLU says their rights were violated.

ACLU Praises Senators for Rejecting Flag Amendment, Says Bill of Rights Stands Strong and Intact (6/27/2006)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact:
media@dcaclu.org

Freedom and the FlagWASHINGTON – The American Civil Liberties Union today applauded the Senate for rejecting a proposed Constitutional amendment to ban flag “desecration.” The amendment, S.J. Res. 12, fell one vote short of the two-thirds majority required for passage.

Speakup on June 14, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Being a lifelong Texan, our tastes tended towards football, not baseball, so I managed to miss out on this wonderful story as a kid. Thanks for sharing, Ed, and God Bless Rick Monday!

May as well shoot a bald eagle in protest,makes as much sense!
lizzee on June 14, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Friday I saw a bald eagle from ~100′ perched in a tree, near Durango Colorado. He sat long enough for me to switch to a long lens and get in close, then swooped away magnificently. I had the pleasure of watching seven of them last fall in Alaska, from ~200′, soaking up the morning sun. An even more glorious sight than watching hawks soar (including our own wonderful Hawkdriver) on thermals in these parts.

bikermailman on June 14, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Aren’t flags supposed to be burnt if they’re ever allowed to touch the ground?

No. There are guidelines.

csdeven on June 14, 2009 at 9:40 PM

If that happened today Olby, Wolfie, the NYT and the rest would label Monday a fascist.

angryed on June 14, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Yup. That’s why I dumped Google for Bing. At least Bing honors Flag Day.

atheling on June 14, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Bing is my new home page as well. Sergei is scared of Bing. I luvs it. Screw you Sergei and a double screw you Larry.

angryed on June 14, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Any Libtard looking at that pic and didn’t know what was going on would probably think the baseball player was taking it away to burn it…that gives them a thrill up their legs.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 14, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Back in 2006, Salon.com wasn’t so impressed.

mankai on June 14, 2009 at 10:19 PM

That IS a good flag day story. I also like the one from the 1908 Olympics where the flag bearer, Martin Sheridan, refused to dip the flag for King Edward the VIII saying “This flag dips for no earthly King”.I always liked that story and got some of the details from Wikipedia. Naturally, wiki, downplayed the incident, blah, blah, blah lefties.

Spunky06 on June 14, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I’ve got something in my eye…

Bob's Kid on June 15, 2009 at 12:44 AM

I grew up a Montreal Expos fan (don’t ask), and for us Rick Monday will always be a source of a little bit of pain – if you don’t know what I’m talking about, look up “Blue Monday.”

But this one act, which occurred years prior to Blue Monday, makes up for all of it. Perhaps it is hardly surprising that he is remembered more for this selfless act of patriotism than he is for leading the Dodgers to victory in the ’81 NLCS.

Red Cloud on June 15, 2009 at 2:25 AM

infidel4life on June 14, 2009 at 6:30 PM

You didn’t really just link to InfoWars did you?

PS: Google also keeps track of every purchase you make with your credit card. No wait, that’s your bank. Your bank is spying on you. Never mind, you probably keep your saving under your bed.

Ortzinator on June 15, 2009 at 3:31 AM

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Hey, now. That’s the way I like ya.

Thanks, but I don’t like being grumpy, or any of the other dwarfs. And I like you too, Doc, but on the flag issue you seemed too much in your head and not enough in your heart.

Having re-read through your posts, my head agrees with you, but my heart still doesn’t. And when it comes to patriotism and love of country, not its leaders or government or policies, but the symbols of our nation, there must be a place for the heart and its sentiments.

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connaît point.

– Blaise Pascal, [Pensées]

The Heart has reasons that Reason does not know.

[I'd try to explain this better to you, but I'd get all religious, which wouldn't work, so I suggest you talk about it with women. And now, I shall duck and cover.]

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 3:53 AM

I remember hearing about that incident when it took place. Rick Monday also hit a game winning home run in the final game of the National League Championsship Series in 1981 off of Steve Rogers of Montreal giving LA the NL title and the Dodgers won the World Series that year beating the Yankees.

Hilts on June 15, 2009 at 8:48 AM

What a great act. Man that’s awesome. 1976. Wasn’t that about the time that the muslim Obama was hanging out with his mentor, the Socialist Frank Marshall Davis, and spending nights talking about how bad America was/is? Now this fraud is pumping flag day. It’s a joke.

marklmail on June 15, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Whatever happened to the guys who tried to burn the flag?

Bill C on June 14, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Wonder where Bill Ayers was on that day?

God Bless America!

Oink on June 15, 2009 at 9:57 AM

marklmail on June 15, 2009 at 9:32 AM

America has changed a lot since 1976. Seeing this clip you could easily see Obama and his buddy Ayres doing this. The problem is, in 1976 they’d of been considered traitors, today half this country thinks they’re the messiah.

Jeff from WI on June 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I remember that incident very well. I was a junior in high school in April of ’76 and that incident occurred the day before my 17th birthday. We were always a big sports family, especially baseball, and while we didn’t watch the Dodgers/Cubs game that day, I recall seeing the reports on the news that evening about what happened – complete with film. I remember we cheered out loud in the living room when we saw it, and my father had a few choice words for the “gentlemen” who sought to do harm to the flag… classic!

D2Boston on June 15, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Rick should have burried his shoe up that fools ass and kicked him like a fields goal.

saiga on June 15, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Wonder where Bill Ayers was on that day?

God Bless America!

Oink on June 15, 2009 at 9:57 AM

My sentiments exactly!

And, a happy Flag Day to all of my fellow conservatives in the United States of America, from a Canadian who is an unashamed Americaophile.

rightsideupinthegwn on June 15, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I was overseas when this happened on the USS Constellation, so I didn’t get to see it till a few years later, but at this point I still conisder it THE number one of the top one hundred best plays in baseball! Rick Monday, you sir, are a great American!

Vntnrse on June 15, 2009 at 11:19 PM